PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Crosgrove - 19 year old from Fulham

Prawn Sandwich
28-01-2012, 08:05 AM
On trial according to the ******?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/hibernian/2012/01/28/hibs-boss-pat-fenlon-to-hand-fulham-kid-jonathan-cosgrove-chance-to-win-deal-at-easter-road-86908-23723616/

HIBERNIAN-0762
28-01-2012, 08:12 AM
Yet another youngster and Irish as well....Hmmm

Sammy7nil
28-01-2012, 08:23 AM

The guy maybe great and he will be given every chance should he sign.

BUT

The players Hibs are now linked with are just so eh how can I put it uninspiring.

We are crying out for experience and quality preferably both and our targets in the main seem to be untested youngsters.

Hibernia Na Eir
28-01-2012, 08:30 AM

and the problem is.......?

Franck is God
28-01-2012, 08:46 AM
The guy maybe great and he will be given every chance should he sign.

BUT

The players Hibs are now linked with are just so eh how can I put it uninspiring.

We are crying out for experience and quality preferably both and our targets in the main seem to be untested youngsters.

We had Murphy on trial who was a young forward, he has had to return to Arsenal with an injury so it makes sense to look at another one.

Agogo has left already and it looks like Sodje is on his way too leaving us with O'Connor, Griffiths & Doyle, we actually need another striker now.

Pedantic_Hibee
28-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Or.......Fenlon could be actively securing experienced pros whilst keeping one eye on the future and supplementing the squad with young guys with an eye on next season and beyond. Just a thought.

Hibs7
28-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Rooney at 19 would have walked into any team in the EPL, so age is not an issue, attitude and ability are.

Sammy7nil
28-01-2012, 08:50 AM
We had Murphy on trial who was a young forward, he has had to return to Arsenal with an injury so it makes sense to look at another one.

Agogo has left already and it looks like Sodje is on his way too leaving us with O'Connor, Griffiths & Doyle, we actually need another striker now.

Yeah but do we need an untested 19 yr old?

Now i did not rate Sodje at all and some of his play was laughable, he did score though and set up a few, if we need a striker surely keeping him was less of a gamble?

SquashedFrogg
28-01-2012, 09:06 AM

Stupid post :confused:

In case you need reminding we're second bottom of the league based on performances of our current team/squad :agree:

I'd be more than happy to have a look at him with the view to possibly replacing one of our current duds.

An why is his nationality a problem?

bigwheel
28-01-2012, 09:10 AM

If anything, it means Fenlon will know him rather than testing an unknown youngster....

SquashedFrogg
28-01-2012, 09:12 AM

Now i did not rate Sodje at all and some of his play was laughable, he did score though and set up a few, if we need a striker surely keeping him was less of a gamble?

You've just answered your own question..

Pretty Boy
28-01-2012, 09:13 AM

Agreed I'd much rather have one of the many talented, experienced forwards banging our door down.

Maybe a player who's had experience at a few clubs, there's a couple of.guys I've heard are not bad: Amadou Konte and Mickael Antoine Courier. Then again this is Hibs so only international players will do, they must be class surely? Whats Eduardo Hurtado up to these days?

SquashedFrogg
28-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Agreed I'd much rather have one of the many talented, experienced forwards banging our door down.

Maybe a player who's had experience at a few clubs, there's a couple of.guys I've heard are not bad: Amadou Konte and Mickael Antoine Courier. Then again this is Hibs so only international players will do, they must be class surely? Whats Eduardo Hurtado up to these days?

Agree 100%

The way things are just now we have two choices.

We bring in a Konte, Agogo, Courier type player (eh, no thanks)

or, we take a look at hungry, talented young strikers who are looking for that opportunity to burst onto the scene.

I know what route I'd rather go down.

Franck is God
28-01-2012, 09:20 AM

I think a year makes a huge difference to a players development, Caldwell is 18 and has at least one more season in the under 19's. Crosgrove is already 19 and his next contract will have to be full time, he has had a wee spell on loan already and being Irish it is possible that one of Fenlons contacts back home has alerted him to his availability and suggested that he have a look at him.

Again, it is only paper talk but I agree with others if it is a serious link and he were to sign for us then I would expect him to be at Hibs for a few years rather than 6 months.

Sammy7nil
28-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Agree 100%

The way things are just now we have two choices.

We bring in a Konte, Agogo, Courier type player (eh, no thanks)

or, we take a look at hungry, talented young strikers who are looking for that opportunity to burst onto the scene.

I know what route I'd rather go down.

Do we know he is either ?
Not having a go but 19 yr old strikers who come in and make a big impact are as rare as Hens teeth.
Strikers need time to develop maybe at 19 pop in and out of the team, Kenny Miller could net get a place at 19.
The only striker I can think of who scored regularly in the SPL at that age was Stokes for falkirk.
Not slatting the boy just saying it is not what I think we need.

matty_f
28-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Not having a go but 19 yr old strikers who come in and make a big impact are as rare as Hens teeth.
Strikers need time to develop maybe at 19 pop in and out of the team, Kenny Miller could net get a place at 19.
The only striker I can think of who scored regularly in the SPL at that age was Stokes for falkirk.

If he's good enough, he's old enough. If he's better than what we have then bring him in. It's then up to Caldwell to up his game, IMHO.

HIBERNIAN-0762
28-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Stupid post :confused:

In case you need reminding we're second bottom of the league based on performances of our current team/squad :agree:

I'd be more than happy to have a look at him with the view to possibly replacing one of our current duds.

An why is his nationality a problem?

EH?

How do you deem it a stupid post, I think your stupid for posting that! :rolleyes:

If you don't get what I'm I'm saying then let me explain...

He's 19...don't we have a very good under 19 team already so why not take a chance on what we have already?

Second part...It's another Irishman, not got a problem with that as I'm half Irish :wink:

SquashedFrogg
28-01-2012, 09:50 AM

I'd like to think that our manager is not just planning for this season, but for future seasons. Whilst immediate signings for the remainder of this season are vitally important, I'm sure people would then criticise the manager for being too 'short term'.

For the record Miller was 19 when he broke into the first team and started scoring...

DanHFC1875
28-01-2012, 10:11 AM
I'd like to think that our manager is not just planning for this season, but for future seasons. Whilst immediate signings for the remainder of this season are vitally important, I'm sure people would then criticise the manager for being too 'short term'.

For the record Miller was 19 when he broke into the first team and started scoring...

The Kenny Miller point, is a point well made... Who cares if a player is 19 or 29.... Are they any good and can they do a job for the cabbage? That's all I ask ;)

Lofarl
28-01-2012, 12:29 PM
I can mind when Yogi was in charge of Falkirk and he brought in some young lad called Stokes. He bombed without a trace and nobody has heard of him since.

Pretty Boy
28-01-2012, 12:31 PM
I can mind when Yogi was in charge of Falkirk and he brought in some young lad called Stokes. He bombed without a trace and nobody has heard of him since.

We also brought a young lad Derek something into the team at 20 years old. No way would a player like that go on to be our top scorer for the next 4 seasons. Too young.

SquashedFrogg
28-01-2012, 12:35 PM
We also brought a young lad Derek something into the team at 20 years old. No way would a player like that go on to be our top scorer for the next 4 seasons. Too young.

I remember him. Was he not that young untested lad who we started playing instead of an experienced striker? What a silly move that was :greengrin

Same with that kid Brown, what ever happened to him?

Beefster
28-01-2012, 12:36 PM

Stokes had already proven himself as a SPL goalscorer long before we signed him and I'm fairly sure that we didn't have to have him on trial first. It's not really comparable.

All these guys in on trial towards the end of the window seems to be evidence that we desperately need players but have either unsuccessfully gone through the list of targets or didn't have a list of targets in the first place.

Edit: Just noticed that you're talking about Falkirk signing him.

SquashedFrogg
28-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Stokes had already proven himself as a SPL goalscorer long before we signed him and I'm fairly sure that we have to have him on trial first. It's not really comparable.

All these guys in on trial towards the end of the window seems to be evidence that we desperately need players but have either unsuccessfully gone through the list of targets or didn't have a list of targets in the first place.

But he wasn't when Yogi signed him for Falkirk. That was the point being made. Nobody had heard of him. He was 17/18 when Falkirk loaned him and he scored quite a few.

Beefster
28-01-2012, 12:54 PM
But he wasn't when Yogi signed him for Falkirk. That was the point being made. Nobody had heard of him. He was 17/18 when Falkirk loaned him and he scored quite a few.

Yeah, I missed that it was Falkirk that was mentioned.

Stokes was a loan signing because Falkirk couldn't afford a player of that quality and Arsenal weren't about to let him go for nothing (Sunderland paid millions for him after his loan spell). Those types of loans are few and far between (up here at least).

SquashedFrogg
28-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I missed that it was Falkirk that was mentioned.

Stokes was a loan signing because Falkirk couldn't afford a player of that quality and Arsenal weren't about to let him go for nothing (Sunderland paid millions for him after his loan spell). Those types of loans are few and far between (up here at least).

Sunderland paid £2m for him due to the fact he scored goals which alerted various clubs about the lads ability. If he'd came and scored none he'd have left Arsenal for a fraction of that. One things for sure, he wasn't at Falkirk to get him ready for the Arsenal first team.

I'd suggest it's a similar situation with this Cosgrove lad. He'd be coming on loan to us because we couldn't afford him and Fulham won't let him go for nothing.

Worth a look at him at the very least I say.

Spike Mandela
28-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Perhaps he is being considered for the U19 squad like Mitter last year if he is eligible.

Beefster
28-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Sunderland paid £2m for him due to the fact he scored goals which alerted various clubs about the lads ability. If he'd came and scored none he'd have left Arsenal for a fraction of that. One things for sure, he wasn't at Falkirk to get him ready for the Arsenal first team.

I'd suggest it's a similar situation with this Cosgrove lad. He'd be coming on loan to us because we couldn't afford him and Fulham won't let him go for nothing.

Worth a look at him at the very least I say.

Unless they give him a new contract, that's exactly what they'll be doing at the end of the season.

My point was more about trials in general than Cosgrove though. For every Boozy, we get countless Thicots and Keenans.

Cropley10
28-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Another young kid coming on loan to a team in dire straits. Fingers crossed eh.

ahibby
28-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Another young kid coming on loan to a team in dire straits. Fingers crossed eh.

Yes just what the doctor ordered for the sick patient.

mon the cabbage
28-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Sign him. I'll take anything.