PDA

View Full Version : 12 month contracts

S.sct
27-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Does anyone else agree that we (in Scotland) are rapidly moving to the American football model (i think) of signing a team for the year/season. There are very few contracts offered over 18 months now with rapidly reducing money in the game and few clubs willing to commit to long contracts. This could be an interesting concept but also could see Euro qualification one season and relegation the next.

SMAXXA
27-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Does anyone else agree that we (in Scotland) are rapidly moving to the American football model (i think) of signing a team for the year/season. There are very few contracts offered over 18 months now with rapidly reducing money in the game and few clubs willing to commit to long contracts. This could be an interesting concept but also could see Euro qualification one season and relegation the next.

No sure we are however I do take your concept, thats why I was so surprised to see Aberdeen sign Stephen Huighes on a 2 and a half year deal, you dont see many players like him getting these deals these days. Fair play to them though.

stubru59
27-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Think the length of any deal on offer will depend on how much the club rates/values the player. As money tightens, clubs will become more risk averse in their dealings.

Shorter contracts will take some players out of their comfort zone. Not a bad thing. The better players will (as always) have more say in the length and renumeration value of their contracts.

Certainly, in recent times, we've had a few good examples of players being given contracts which didn't match their productivity rate.

Eyrie
27-01-2012, 08:32 PM

NFL contracts are very different to the football contracts we have here. A player will receive a signing bonus with stated salaries and bonuses for each year of his contract. However he can be cut at any time by his team and would only keep what he has already received with no entitlement to what he would have earned if he had stayed. Makes it very easy to get rid of underperforming players whilst allowing teams to build around those they want to keep who are under contract.

By contrast a football contract is guaranteed, so Hearts are stuck having to pay (late) the contractual wages for the length of the contract, even if the player is out of favour/unwanted/earning too much.

I'm comfortable with two year deals for our players, assuming we sit down and extend those we want to keep when they have 7-8 months left.

NYHibby
27-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Does anyone else agree that we (in Scotland) are rapidly moving to the American football model (i think) of signing a team for the year/season. There are very few contracts offered over 18 months now with rapidly reducing money in the game and few clubs willing to commit to long contracts.

I'm sorry but what in the world are you talking about? None of that is true about the NFL.

S.sct
27-01-2012, 08:41 PM
NFL contracts are very different to the football contracts we have here. A player will receive a signing bonus with stated salaries and bonuses for each year of his contract. However he can be cut at any time by his team and would only keep what he has already received with no entitlement to what he would have earned if he had stayed. Makes it very easy to get rid of underperforming players whilst allowing teams to build around those they want to keep who are under contract.

By contrast a football contract is guaranteed, so Hearts are stuck having to pay (late) the contractual wages for the length of the contract, even if the player is out of favour/unwanted/earning too much.

I'm comfortable with two year deals for our players, assuming we sit down and extend those we want to keep when they have 7-8 months left.

Yes, listened to a podcast recently where John Amaechi (Basketball player) described a similar concept in the NBA. No job security but would certainly eradicate the mid contract coasters.

NYHibby
27-01-2012, 08:49 PM
NBA contracts are guaranteed. So they are not like the NFL.

S.sct
27-01-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm sorry but what in the world are you talking about? None of that is true about the NFL.

OK, I wasn't sure (did say so in OP), just attempting to draw a comparison. Any thoughts on the main content of the post.

son of haggart
27-01-2012, 11:00 PM
OK, I wasn't sure (did say so in OP), just attempting to draw a comparison. Any thoughts on the main content of the post.

I think you are right there is a drift to shorter contracts but Hibss seem to be doing this to a greater extent than most, perhaps related to their financial model. Long contracts create financial liabilities (though also potential sell on)

Franck is God
28-01-2012, 09:32 AM
I think moving forward the only players that will be offered long contracts will be the ones that we have brought through the youth system and show promise beyond SPL level so therefore will have a selling value to the club.

It may not be something that fills fans with glee but one year or max two year deals (or loans) will become the norm for clubs of our size which means that the managers we choose will have to be very efficient in the transfer market. When you factor in that the majority of clubs can no longer afford two players for each position anymore and have to suplement squads with utility players and youth team promotions. There are now more professional players than there are spaces for them at clubs so they will need to think carefully about what they refuse.

The top 5% of players around the world can continue being picky and make their unrealistic demands on wages but the rest need to play to earn money, perhaps gone are the days where you can speculate to accumulate by signing a player for X and selling on for a profit but it may mean that for a season or two we may have players in our squad that five years ago we could never have afforded to sign.