PDA

View Full Version : Candian Trialist

HibeeMcGinn1
27-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Apologies if posted elsewhere.
Patrick McPartlin who is a Scotsman journalist and a Hibs fan just put this on twitter:

“@p_mcpartlin: Hearing that Canadian Nana Attakora is currently on trial with #Hibs. Big defender currently with San Jose Earthquakes.”

ancienthibby
27-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Apologies if posted elsewhere.
Patrick McPartlin who is a Scotsman journalist and a Hibs fan just put this on twitter:

“@p_mcpartlin: Hearing that Canadian Nana Attakora is currently on trial with #Hibs. Big defender currently with San Jose Earthquakes.”

The word 'despair' comes to mind.

greenlex
27-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Why? What do you know about him? How long has he been here?

Baldy Foghorn
27-01-2012, 04:18 PM

:agree::agree:

I doubt many of us will have seen or heard of him, so will have to trust PF..............

HibsMax
27-01-2012, 04:19 PM

Yeah, why despair?

poolman
27-01-2012, 04:20 PM

Dearie me

lets not even give him a chance :rolleyes:

Doesn't sound to bad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nana_Attakora

ancienthibby
27-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Excellent - that sparked the start of a debate:aok:

(Oh and by the way I have watched 'soccer' in Toronto!!)

Baldy Foghorn
27-01-2012, 04:27 PM

Have you seen the said player in action then ancienthibby?

ancienthibby
27-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Have you seen the said player in action then ancienthibby?

Nope.

The Big TO does not produce 'soccer' players!

It produces hockey players;

It produces Canadian football players;

And it has the Blue Jays as its baseball team;

Nothing else matters.

Unless of course you want to cite Mo Johnston's time in charge of Toronto 'soccer' :bye:

SRHibs
27-01-2012, 04:36 PM

Oh, great point. Let's only sign players from leagues where the standard of football is high. I'm sure players from the EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga etc. will find us to be an appealing prospect. :rolleyes:. There are plenty of gems to be had in leagues worse than the SPL - though the MLS may not actually be any worse than ours. Going by this guy's Wikipedia page, he sounds like he could be OK.

ShanksSaidNo
27-01-2012, 04:41 PM
#tonycaig

blackpoolhibs
27-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Mike franks.

Jim44
27-01-2012, 04:46 PM
He's worth a punt and looks as good as or better than the dross that's dragging us into the first division. HEREhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xe5Rww6nKs

greenlex
27-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Nope.

Nothing else matters.

Unless of course you want to cite Mo Johnston's time in charge of Toronto 'soccer' :bye:
So in a nutshell you know **** all about this player but are in a state of despair? I too am in a state of despair. :agree:

Postman
27-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Nope.

Nothing else matters.

If this post is serious.....absolutely ridiculous!!!

Countries can't produce good players unless its the main sport?? Never should have taken the gamble on Latapy as he's from a cricket country I take it!

greenginger
27-01-2012, 04:57 PM

And Hibs have played San Jose Earthquakes, beat them 4 - 2 I think back in 1981. :thumbsup:

Andy74
27-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Paul Fenwick was allright.

Pretty Boy
27-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Nope.

Nothing else matters.

Either you've suddenly developed a sense of humour or this is one of the worst posts I've ever read.

woodyloon
27-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Dearie me

lets not even give him a chance :rolleyes:

Doesn't sound to bad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nana_Attakora

Agree his record looks not too bad, he has worked his way through the Canadian national age groups, so he must be keeping his development at a good level. How many Scottish players do well up to Under 21 then they seem to go backwards or just fail to push on.

IMO he might gives us another option in defence, and he will be another player who has not been scared by or long term struggle as a team, so he should be able to play with some freedom.

andy1875
27-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Paul Fenwick was allright.

.........until Franck Sauzee stopped playing. We then seen a different Paul Fenwick thereafter. A cold horrible night at Hampden against the horrible club that is Ayr United springs to mind.

Jones28
27-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Why not? In Pat we trust :flag:

fat freddy
27-01-2012, 05:42 PM
.........until Franck Sauzee stopped playing. We then seen a different Paul Fenwick thereafter. A cold horrible night at Hampden against the horrible club that is Ayr United springs to mind.

the fourth worst night of my life...truly horrible.

SMAXXA
27-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Looked pretty decent in that youtube clip. I wont write any player of until he gives me cause to do so, i.e. plays rubbish consistantly for Hibs.

Looks a big lad aswel.

hibee81
27-01-2012, 06:16 PM
having watched a fair few "soccer" matches from over the pond I have seen this guy a few times and to be honest he wasnt a stand out, but that doesnt matter at this point cause if he was a stand out he wouldnt be interested in the hibees, what i do know is that he is a rappid player who likes to put himself about abit. So for that reason im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

blindsummit
27-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Nope.

I have to dispute that! the Maple Leafs are Tom Kite.

I say this as a Detroit Red Wings fan so no bias whatsoever :greengrin

Hibernia Na Eir
27-01-2012, 06:39 PM
He has a brother called Ant.

cocopops1875
27-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Nope.

Nothing else matters.

In your obviously informed and experienced opinion how do you rate Stefan Frei ?

greenlex
27-01-2012, 06:44 PM
In your obviously informed and experienced opinion how do you rate Stefan Frei ?
My opinion is he has went backwards since Blackadder but have to confess I secretly quite like Qi.

HighlanderICT
27-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Nope. The Big TO does not produce 'soccer' players!
It produces hockey players; It produces Canadian football players; And it has the Blue Jays as its baseball team;
Nothing else matters. Unless of course you want to cite Mo Johnston's time in charge of Toronto 'soccer' :bye:

Sorry to butt into your conversation lads, but what utter tripe ..... Caley Thistle fan here, who happens to live in Toronto, and who has also been a TFC season ticket holder since day 1 in 2007.

Firstly, to answer ancienthibby .... in this year's squad .... Oscar Cordon, Doneil Henry, Nicholas Lindsay, Keith Makubuya, Matt Stinson and Ashtone Morgan are all TFC Academy graduates and all but Lindsay (injured) got a fair bit of playing time last season (especially Cordon, Morgan and Henry). On the international scene, Henry (18) got 5 caps for Canada U20, Morgan (20) got 2 caps at U20 level and a 2 full international caps, Stinson (19) was called up to the full Canadian squad but never played, and Cordon (19) is now part of the U20 squad .... I would say that is "producing" .... especially when the Hockey team last "produced" a Stanley Cup in 1967, the Blue Jays a World Series in 1993, and the other teams have never produced anything (grey cups dont count).

Anyhow ... the production of talent is a moot point anyway as Attakora was not produced by TFC, he came to TFC in the first season after spending the summer with Everton. Here's a mini-bio I posted elsewhere, from someone who has seen him play multiple times (me !!) ......

Trained with Everton in 2007 before signing for TFC in their first season in MLS. Made his debut in 2008 but only featured in 5 games (3 starts). Was ever-present in the TFC lineup in 2009 and 2010 and a great young prospect who formed a formidable central defensive partnership with Adrian Cann during the 2010 season .... Seemed destined to be a rock at the heart of the TFC defence for years to come but contract negotiations broke down, he got injured, the management changed, and he was eventually traded to San Jose Earthquakes in 2011 much to the chagrin of supporters.

Has played for Canada at all age levels (U-16, U-17, U-19, U-20 and U-23) and made his full international debut whilst still a TFC player in 2010.

TFC stats: 62 starts, 6 sub appearances, 4 goals, 6 yellows, 1 red.
Last Year's salary (MLS publishes these): US$45,000 last year so about £550 a week !

If you sign him, and he plays to his potential, you will have got a fine young defender ... if not signing him, send him up the A9 so Terry can have a look ... we need defenders too !

greenlex
27-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Sorry to butt into your conversation lads, but what utter tripe ..... Caley Thistle fan here, who happens to live in Toronto, and who has also been a TFC season ticket holder since day 1 in 2007.

Firstly, to answer ancienthibby .... in this year's squad .... Oscar Cordon, Doneil Henry, Nicholas Lindsay, Keith Makubuya, Matt Stinson and Ashtone Morgan are all TFC Academy graduates and all but Lindsay (injured) got a fair bit of playing time last season (especially Cordon, Morgan and Henry). On the international scene, Henry (18) got 5 caps for Canada U20, Morgan (20) got 2 caps at U20 level and a 2 full international caps, Stinson (19) was called up to the full Canadian squad but never played, and Cordon (19) is now part of the U20 squad .... I would say that is "producing" .... especially when the Hockey team last "produced" a Stanley Cup in 1967, the Blue Jays a World Series in 1993, and the other teams have never produced anything (grey cups dont count).

Anyhow ... the production of talent is a moot point anyway as Attakora was not produced by TFC, he came to TFC in the first season after spending the summer with Everton. Here's a mini-bio I posted elsewhere, from someone who has seen him play multiple times (me !!) ......

Trained with Everton in 2007 before signing for TFC in their first season in MLS. Made his debut in 2008 but only featured in 5 games (3 starts). Was ever-present in the TFC lineup in 2009 and 2010 and a great young prospect who formed a formidable central defensive partnership with Adrian Cann during the 2010 season .... Seemed destined to be a rock at the heart of the TFC defence for years to come but contract negotiations broke down, he got injured, the management changed, and he was eventually traded to San Jose Earthquakes in 2011 much to the chagrin of supporters.

Has played for Canada at all age levels (U-16, U-17, U-19, U-20 and U-23) and made his full international debut whilst still a TFC player in 2010.

Last Year's salary (MLS publishes these): US$45,000 last year so about £550 a week !

If you sign him, and he plays to his potential, you will have got a fine young defender ... if not signing him, send him up the A9 so Terry can have a look ... we need defenders too !

Thanks for that. :agree:

Mon Dieu4
27-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Quite frankly Id be happy with my Nana at Centre Half these days and she has Alzheimers as well as curvature of the spine

S.sct
27-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Can't go too much on the you tube promo clip but he looks strong and pacey. He also looked comfortable with the ball.....If he is on trial good luck to him.

cocopops1875
27-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Can't go too much on the you tube promo clip but he looks strong and pacey. He also looked comfortable with the ball.....If he is on trial good luck to him.

he is on trial :agree:

LancsHibs
27-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Anybody name another Hibs player to have played for San Jose Earthquakes?? I know of at least 1

Billy Whizz
27-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Anybody name another Hibs player to have played for San Jose Earthquakes?? I know of at least 1

Besty boy by any chance?

Aldo
27-01-2012, 07:17 PM

George best

Aldo
27-01-2012, 07:18 PM

Junior Agogo

LancsHibs
27-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Junior Agogo

Correct

NYHibby
27-01-2012, 07:24 PM

George best

Junior Agogo

And interestingly enough, they each technically played for a different club. Best's Earthquakes folded and Agogo's moved to Houston.

Eyrie
27-01-2012, 07:47 PM

Don't bring facts into a .net discussion. Confuses the hell out of everyone!

Seriously, sounds a decent player and I trust Fenlon's judgement if he wants to bring him in.

Don Giovanni
27-01-2012, 08:13 PM
he is on trial :agree:

FFS. Aw-ready?

So big Gaz has taken him under his wing then?

:greengrin

NYHibby
27-01-2012, 08:35 PM
How does he qualify for a visa? 2 caps is not enough. Can we actually sign him if we want to?

That said, I think this is a good sign that our scouts are actually trying to uncover people.

Forza Fred
27-01-2012, 10:11 PM
I assume Ancient Hibee was joking when he said he ws in 'despair'apparently because we wee trialling a player from a so called ' footballing minnow' nation.

I have to say that this attitude of what I call misplaced 'soccer snobbery' is something that has pervaded the decision making corridors at Er in the past, and one which I simply shake my head at, now more out of pity as scorn.

I won't bore you with the whole list, but over a very long time span (as will be obvious by some of the names I mention) I sent various managers (and chairman in some instances) press cuttings/videos etc of young players, who were playing in Oz, with the suggestion that Hiibs should perhaps contact them and see if they wre interested.

This was in an era when in all probability Oz youngsters would have accepted HIbs offer to get a foothold in European leagues - now most woudln't consider HIbs s a destination if coming to Europe.

BUt for the record some of the names, that were recommended to HIbs before they became better known in Europe..

Mark Bosnich
Mark Viduka
Craig Moore
Kevin Muscat (!)
Frank Farina
Zeljko Kalac

to name a few

got lots of stories about frustrations etc caused mainly by the attitude I referred to, but won't bore you - suffice to say...you can't write off a player just because of where they come from..to do so is grossly negligent

Kato
27-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Quite frankly Id be happy with my Nana at Centre Half these days and she has Alzheimers as well as curvature of the spine

:agree:

I've seen her play and she's deffo better than our current defenders.

TonyStokeprano
27-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Absolute hero of mine, signed him for hibs in fifa 11 and he was outstanding.

SteveHFC
27-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Had him in FM 11 team with Hibs. He was class :not worth

NYHibby
27-01-2012, 11:37 PM
Do you really expect any club to blindly offer contracts based on a newspaper clipping sent by some random dude? From my point of view, "to do so is grossly negligent". Would you care to explain how this is not the worst possible way to run a club?

While I know nothing about the football work permit situation 20 years ago, I assume that not just anyone who had ever kicked a football could get one. If you were truly recommending them before they were "known" in Europe, then this would have been before they were capped and in most cases would not have qualified for a work permit. Why should the club waste it's time chasing down players they could not sign at the time?

Plus it looks like some of these players were signing for bigger teams shortly after they would have qualified for a work permit. So it is not like Hibs's inaction was causing us to miss out on undiscovered talent.

Nothing in your post actually suggests "soccer snobbery". To me it looks like the club was being responsible in not wasting resources every time someone suggested a player and that the club recognised the difficulty in signing a foreign player.

monteddie
27-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Oh, great point. Let's only sign players from leagues where the standard of football is high. I'm sure players from the EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga etc. will find us to be an appealing prospect. :rolleyes:. There are plenty of gems to be had in leagues worse than the SPL - though the MLS may not actually be any worse than ours. Going by this guy's Wikipedia page, he sounds like he could be OK.
Time to wake up folks the MLS is better than the SPL it is also better supported

hibee81
28-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Time to wake up folks the MLS is better than the SPL it is also better supported

he's not wrong, standard of football (soccer) in the states is growing fast, and i for one would love to see us give the market a go. canny be any worse than what we currently look for

Forza Fred
28-01-2012, 01:10 AM
Do you really expect any club to blindly offer contracts based on a newspaper clipping sent by some random dude? From my point of view, "to do so is grossly negligent". Would you care to explain how this is not the worst possible way to run a club?

While I know nothing about the football work permit situation 20 years ago, I assume that not just anyone who had ever kicked a football could get one. If you were truly recommending them before they were "known" in Europe, then this would have been before they were capped and in most cases would not have qualified for a work permit. Why should the club waste it's time chasing down players they could not sign at the time?

Plus it looks like some of these players were signing for bigger teams shortly after they would have qualified for a work permit. So it is not like Hibs's inaction was causing us to miss out on undiscovered talent.

Nothing in your post actually suggests "soccer snobbery". To me it looks like the club was being responsible in not wasting resources every time someone suggested a player and that the club recognised the difficulty in signing a foreign player.

You are of course éntitled to your opinion, albeit given without knowing the full facts.

Visa qualification was always in various forms, a consideration, but space does not permit me to go into full depth re the discussions etc, with HIbs officials at the time regarding these players.

The 'press cutting'comment was to indciate that (there was no internet back then) it was not just my imagination, and they wre vouched for by senior people in the game here.

Over the years, I have had a degree of discussion with various officials, so while by no means acting in any official capacity,I'm not sure I was seen as 'some random dude'' as you so diplomatically put it.:greengrin

What was galling..was not that my suggestions were either not acted upon or considered unworthy because of cost constraints, visa practicalities etc..it was thwe obvious attitude that becasue a player was coming from Australia he must in some way be 'not HIbs class'

I remember a letter I received from one well meaning chairman who I was friends with at the time, when I suggested a 16 year old with British heritage who had recently starred in an international match against Brazil and who had had publicly stated that he was heading off to the UK soon in search of a contract, when I suggested they should contact him before anyone else got their hooks into him and offer him a trial his response was ..."What's wrong with Scottish laddies""

That is the frustration I was talking about, and Hibs lack of action.

It wasn't that they were considered and then dismissed..it was just that the whole notion was dismissed without any consideration.

monteddie
28-01-2012, 04:20 AM

If you sign him, and he plays to his potential, you will have got a fine young defender ... if not signing him, send him up the A9 so Terry can have a look ... we need defenders too !.
Most likely TFC will win a cup before the leafs..Go Habs Go!!

McCrae
28-01-2012, 08:13 PM
I've seem him play and would be shocked in he got a contract at Hibs... Just not good enough, 2nd Div player at best.

Just a lump with poor ball control. Plays long ball whenever he can. Really awful to watch.

Elephant Stone
28-01-2012, 08:28 PM
I've seem him play and would be shocked in he got a contract at Hibs... Just not good enough, 2nd Div player at best.

Just a lump with poor ball control. Plays long ball whenever he can. Really awful to watch.

The video of him on youtube would suggest that as well. Uneasy viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xe5Rww6nKs

stokesmessiah
28-01-2012, 09:15 PM
The video of him on youtube would suggest that as well. Uneasy viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xe5Rww6nKs

What?

Elephant Stone
28-01-2012, 09:18 PM
What?

You think he looks good in that video?

andy1875
28-01-2012, 09:23 PM

Most of the "defenders" at Hibs the now should be playing in Sunday pub league football, so if this guy is 2nd division level in your opinion. It's improvement and will do for me :wink:

PeterboroHibee
28-01-2012, 09:36 PM
You think he looks good in that video?

Youre basing your opinion of a player on a youtube video :confused:?

Elephant Stone
28-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Youre basing your opinion of a player on a youtube video :confused:?

Nope. I said that what the poster I quoted- the guy who's seen him play- said is pretty consistent with the video on youtube.

hibs4life
28-01-2012, 09:41 PM

...and this is why visiting these message boards seems more and more a waste of time. No discussion, just a knee jerk comment, and a negative one at that. If you have some insight on the player, please state it and deliver your opinion on that. This kind of comment is just one of many on here that seems to delight in criticising any movement and potential movements in the transfer market.
Perhaps we could wait and see what the changes in personnel bring in terms of results. By all means let's discuss the incoming and proposed incoming players, but FFS let's have a proper discussion. As has happened on other threads, criticising potential recruits just based on previous clubs and Wiki biogs seems a bit much.
I do think Pat Fenlon has a tough task and is making the right moves to save us from relegation but will thereafter take a different tack (as he has to with the number of loanees) to deliver a strategic approach to building the club back to the position where it belongs.

GGTTH

Dalianwanda
28-01-2012, 10:14 PM
...and this is why visiting these message boards seems more and more a waste of time. No discussion, just a knee jerk comment, and a negative one at that. If you have some insight on the player, please state it and deliver your opinion on that. This kind of comment is just one of many on here that seems to delight in criticising any movement and potential movements in the transfer market.
Perhaps we could wait and see what the changes in personnel bring in terms of results. By all means let's discuss the incoming and proposed incoming players, but FFS let's have a proper discussion. As has happened on other threads, criticising potential recruits just based on previous clubs and Wiki biogs seems a bit much.
I do think Pat Fenlon has a tough task and is making the right moves to save us from relegation but will thereafter take a different tack (as he has to with the number of loanees) to deliver a strategic approach to building the club back to the position where it belongs.

GGTTH
Spot on

At The Edge
28-01-2012, 10:19 PM
I thought his video was quite good, if i have one small gripe its there wasn't enough air guitar playing, would like to have seen him pull out a Vai solo just before he headers the ball.
Reckon he'll look good in green though, should suit him better than red although Dashing Bob S would be the best to comment on that
:greengrin

Jim44
28-01-2012, 10:31 PM

So in view of your definitive decision about this guy's ability, if Fenlon offers him a deal, can we assume that we have a clown in charge of a team heading nowhere?

McCrae
28-01-2012, 10:49 PM
So in view of your definitive decision about this guy's ability, if Fenlon offers him a deal, can we assume that we have a clown in charge of a team heading nowhere?

No way will this guy be signed... Plays the American way... Kick and run.

Jim44
28-01-2012, 10:57 PM

Well why is Fenlon wasting time and money looking at players who have no chance of a deal? It's depressing to think that a club on the verge of relegation is being led by a guy who hasn't a clue about football.

Aubenas
28-01-2012, 11:01 PM
a club on the verge of relegation is being led by a guy who hasn't a clue about football.

In that case he's had a remarkable spell of good luck as a player and a manager.:rolleyes:

At The Edge
28-01-2012, 11:09 PM

is this the same American way that currently has the USA ranked 33 in the FIFA rankings?
Not bad for a team that kick and run?

McCrae
28-01-2012, 11:21 PM
is this the same American way that currently has the USA ranked 33 in the FIFA rankings?

The MLS is awful, a terrible league way below the standard of the SPL. The earthquakes are currently not a great team and this boy was no where near being one the better players.

The boy is just not good enough for this level.... Look at his highlights video.... Is that really the best clips he can come up with!

eastmainsmsh
28-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Nothing gets past him in that video .....Clears his lines well just what we need

Jim44
28-01-2012, 11:23 PM

Easy meat for Harry if we could ever aspire to meet them in competition.:rolleyes:

Sir David Gray
28-01-2012, 11:28 PM
I think this person has obviously misheard what's actually been said.

Fenlon was actually on the phone to his local Indian takeaway at the time and he was overheard ordering "a naan and a pakora".

It's an easy mistake to make.