PDA

View Full Version : Hibs crumbling credibility

TRIALIST
27-01-2012, 03:51 PM
According to reports Jim Goodwin admitted that not one person he saught advice from thought joining Hibs would be a good idea. Including his father in law Mick Oliver, Leveins right hand man.
No mention of less money offered ! Just not a good idea.

I dont think this guy would have been scared of the relegation battle I think its the on going perception of instability at our club based on players and managers being shipped in and out. Add in former managers whispering with other scottish football folk/pundits about why it was not their fault.
Slanderous....Can this be right Rod says we are Rock Solid.

PaulSmith
27-01-2012, 03:53 PM
According to reports Jim Goodwin admitted that not one person he saught advice from thought joining Hibs would be a good idea. Including his father in law Mick Oliver, Leveins right hand man.

I dont think this guy would have been scared of the relegation battle I think its the on going perception of instability at our club based on players and managers being shipped in and out. Add in former managers whispering with other scottish football folk/pundits about why it was not their fault.

Did you read it right as I ready that all the advice given to him was to go to Easter Road? (bar probably DVZ who may have hammered in the final nail in the coffin after Hibs offer)

linlithgowhibbie
27-01-2012, 03:53 PM
sorry but the way I read the evening news/Scotsman was that they all suggested he should join Hibs!

Leithenhibby
27-01-2012, 03:56 PM

Well, He didnae! ... :yawn:

greenlex
27-01-2012, 03:57 PM

Its no surprise really. We are struggling at the moment. Why would you go to Hibs and have to prove yourself all over again with them trying to build a team round you? Why would you do that for similar money when you can be hero worshipped where you are with no real risk, pressure or a little more money?
I am certain one of the people he would have asked would be DVZ who has already made the change. He was bound to tell him just how supportive the fans are compared to the St Mirren fans. He would look at how Griffiths is being treated by a section of Hibs supporters right now despite being one of us. He probably had a think about it and thought **** that for a game of soldiers. I dont need it Probably.

TRIALIST
27-01-2012, 04:03 PM
sorry but the way I read the evening news/Scotsman was that they all suggested he should join Hibs!

Daily Mail headline - Sound advice sees Goodwin put the saints ahead of Hibs.
Quote: I sat and spoke in great depth with people who's opinions I value the most they all agreed that staying at St Mirren was the right decision.

Danny Lennon goes on to say that it speaks volumes for the direction the saints are going in that he wants to spend the next 21/2 years here.

Cropley10
27-01-2012, 04:11 PM

There's a 48 pager on Goodwin.

Absolutely nothing to do with Hibs and the Board, nothing to see hear move along now

RIP
27-01-2012, 04:12 PM
I think that big revolving door is putting people off

Out of the six fantastic signings we made last January - only Scott is still around and only a sub / squad player

Not sure any of them would be citing Hibs as a great career move

Baldy Foghorn
27-01-2012, 04:15 PM
I think that big revolving door is putting people off

Out of the six fantastic signings we made last January - only Scott is still around and only a sub / squad player

Not sure any of them would be citing Hibs as a great career move

To be fair Gogs, none of the ones released set the heather alight.

PeterboroHibee
27-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Daily Mail headline - Sound advice sees Goodwin put the saints ahead of Hibs.
Quote: I sat and spoke in great depth with people who's opinions I value the most they all agreed that staying at St Mirren was the right decision.

Danny Lennon goes on to say that it speaks volumes for the direction the saints are going in that he wants to spend the next 21/2 years here.

Find it hard to disagree with, we are a shambles. People can say what they want but with ex-managers regularly criticising the way the club is run now and players looking elsewhere, something must be up.

matty_f
27-01-2012, 04:19 PM
He didn't need to ask anyone, a quick glance on here would have told him everything he needed to know about how pish we are.:rolleyes:

RIP
27-01-2012, 04:21 PM
To be fair Gogs, none of the ones released set the heather alight.

Aye I thought that too SB until I dug up the 'New Signings thread' a few minutes ago. We were raving about them this time last year. As indeed we do about all our new signings.

What is it about Hibs that makes our managers and players end up looking so bad? Has the East Mains water supply been poisoned? Was it built on an ancient burial ground? Does the smell of the dung make you play sh*te?

Baldy Foghorn
27-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Aye I thought that too SB until I dug up the 'New Signings thread' a few minutes ago. We were raving about them this time last year. As indeed we do about all our new signings.

What is it about Hibs that makes our managers and players end up looking so bad? Has the East Mains water supply been poisoned? Was it built on an ancient burial ground? Does the smell of the dung make you play sh*te?

Answers on a postage stamp:wink:

We always have initial hope that new signings are going to turn our fortunes around, not been working recently....Here's hoping the new crop can deliver for us....

Brooster
27-01-2012, 04:31 PM
From the Daily Mail - 'In what will be seen as yet another blow to the credibility of the ailing Easter Road club, however, the Saints skipper admitted not one person he sought advice from thought joining the edinburgh side would be a good move'. Grim.

Andy74
27-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Funny that the Scotsman says the opposite, with quotes from Goodwin.

He said that everyone he spoke to advised him to move to Hibs and that everyone expected him to move but that it was the relationships he had at St Mirren that persuaded him to stay.

Viva_Palmeiras
27-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Maybe Goodwin has a split personality?

If so does that make him twice the player?

truehibernian
27-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Yet three EPL managers in McCarthy, Lambert and Pulis do think Hibernian are a good club to send players to.

No debate we are unstable, and the managerial revolving door has been a major obstacle.....but Goodwin had a good set up at Saints. For me, yet another headline to stick the knife in. Wins, points and climbing the table will shut them up. No need for team talks....just pin up the tabloids and have Richard Gordon and Co on a loop in the dressing room.

Andy74
27-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Not really many mentions of a lack of credibility here:

JIM Goodwin claims he resisted the “easy option” of moving to Hibernian to sign a new deal at St Mirren.

So there were eyebrows raised yesterday morning when the Paisley club revealed that the Northern Irishman had signed a new contract which will take him up until at least the end of season 2013-14.

Goodwin revealed that he ignored most of the advice given to him out of a sense of loyalty to St Mirren and manager Danny Lennon, who signed him from Hamilton a year ago.

“I was never that close to leaving to be honest,” he said. “Hibs had expressed an interest and, out of respect for Pat Fenlon and Hibs, it was right that I spoke to them and heard what they had to say. But, when I sat down and had a moment to myself, I thought I was giving up an awful lot here, in terms of relationships, the captaincy and what we are trying to do. It is one of the best dressing rooms I have been involved in and I am extremely happy here. The easy option might have been to go to Easter Road and the big facilities and all that but I think I made the right decision. The majority of people I spoke to were expecting me to go to Hibs and probably advising me to go to Hibs. So I think it says a lot for St Mirren and for the manager that I chose to stay here.

“The gaffer showed a lot of faith in me and gave me the armband at the start of the season. I enjoy going to work every day.

“St Mirren play the way I want to play and that was a huge factor in my decision.”

Lennon, who ruled out a move for former Newcastle and Hibs winger Alan O’Brien who was training with Saints for a few days, said: “Jim has a big part to play in what we are trying to build. It was very flattering for Jim that a club of Hibernian’s stature comes looking for his services. I think it is a credit to everyone at St Mirren, that that type of player has chosen to stay.”

Viva_Palmeiras
27-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Maybe Goodwin has a split personality?

If so does that make him twice the player ?

Two Jim Goodwins,
There's only two Jim Goodwins!

So that'll be 2 goodwins unwelcome in Edinburgh - maybe that swayed it maybe he didn't want the twunt who put the paediatrician's windows in to make another case of mistaken identity )

?
b

matty_f
27-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Someone better tell Goodwin quickly that he's made a mistake in that interview. It was because of money that he stayed. Schoolboy error from Goodwin there. :wink:

whiskyhibby
27-01-2012, 05:17 PM

:fishin:

woodyloon
27-01-2012, 05:20 PM
From the Daily Mail - 'In what will be seen as yet another blow to the credibility of the ailing Easter Road club, however, the Saints skipper admitted not one person he sought advice from thought joining the edinburgh side would be a good move'. Grim.

Hopefully Hibs will turn the corner and show him his lack of trust was the wrong decision.

woodyloon
27-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Not really many mentions of a lack of credibility here:

JIM Goodwin claims he resisted the “easy option” of moving to Hibernian to sign a new deal at St Mirren.

So there were eyebrows raised yesterday morning when the Paisley club revealed that the Northern Irishman had signed a new contract which will take him up until at least the end of season 2013-14.

Goodwin revealed that he ignored most of the advice given to him out of a sense of loyalty to St Mirren and manager Danny Lennon, who signed him from Hamilton a year ago.

“I was never that close to leaving to be honest,” he said. “Hibs had expressed an interest and, out of respect for Pat Fenlon and Hibs, it was right that I spoke to them and heard what they had to say. But, when I sat down and had a moment to myself, I thought I was giving up an awful lot here, in terms of relationships, the captaincy and what we are trying to do. It is one of the best dressing rooms I have been involved in and I am extremely happy here. The easy option might have been to go to Easter Road and the big facilities and all that but I think I made the right decision. The majority of people I spoke to were expecting me to go to Hibs and probably advising me to go to Hibs. So I think it says a lot for St Mirren and for the manager that I chose to stay here.

“The gaffer showed a lot of faith in me and gave me the armband at the start of the season. I enjoy going to work every day.

“St Mirren play the way I want to play and that was a huge factor in my decision.”

Lennon, who ruled out a move for former Newcastle and Hibs winger Alan O’Brien who was training with Saints for a few days, said: “Jim has a big part to play in what we are trying to build. It was very flattering for Jim that a club of Hibernian’s stature comes looking for his services. I think it is a credit to everyone at St Mirren, that that type of player has chosen to stay.”

If this his thoughts then he is a person who shows a great deal of loyality, and unfortunately it looks like St Mirren have created a very good team spirit, which I hope Hibs can build soon. Good Luck to the Guy...

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-01-2012, 05:52 PM
A bit of a non story is it no? I would keep it of the front page and run with the scoop of the man who lit a fire and it was hot, or the man that had a bath and it was wet. He asked for advice and what he got was don' t sign for Hibs and he took that advice. End of.

Guess it it was Celgers, he turned down, he would lack ambition rather than a slap in the face?

When you are doon, you are doon, but when Fenlon has turned us around and we are playing at a more full than empty Easter Road, he will see what he has turned down:flag:

IWasThere2016
27-01-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm just staggered that St Midden have let Alan the ledge O'Brien get away :agree:

jdships
27-01-2012, 06:21 PM
I heard via member of the St Midden coaching staff it was simply that Goodwin ,wife and family were happy where they were staying and with school.
At 30 he wasn't interested in another family upheaval.

You pays your money etc and believe what you wish to .:wink:

Mon Dieu4
27-01-2012, 06:48 PM
I heard via member of the St Midden coaching staff it was simply that Goodwin ,wife and family were happy where they were staying and with school.
At 30 he wasn't interested in another family upheaval.

You pays your money etc and believe what you wish to .:wink:

Exactly, maybe the guy is just happy where he is, just because we are a bigger club than St Mirren doesnt mean we can be like the Old Firm and smaller teams players will be raring to come to us, good on the guy if he is sticking where he is settled

Of course the cynic in me also thinks that since clubs are interested in him, the extended contract means more money for everyone when he goes so could be a bit good business sense going on.

Andy74
27-01-2012, 07:28 PM
I'm just staggered that St Midden have let Alan the ledge O'Brien get away :agree:

I think the current term is 'lost out'.

Don Giovanni
27-01-2012, 08:35 PM
He didn't need to ask anyone, a quick glance on here would have told him everything he needed to know about how pish we are.:rolleyes:

Or a wee peek at the league table, aye?

Baker9
28-01-2012, 10:29 AM
If this his thoughts then he is a person who shows a great deal of loyality, and unfortunately it looks like St Mirren have created a very good team spirit, which I hope Hibs can build soon. Good Luck to the Guy...

He sounds like just the type of character we are needing and much respect to him if the better version of what he is supposed to have said is true.

blackpoolhibs
28-01-2012, 10:39 AM
I think the current term is 'lost out'.

Am i imagining it, but when Garry O'Conner became available, and it was known he'd like to come back to Scotland.

Did Aberdeen not "lose out" to Hibs for his signature? :confused:

matty_f
28-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Or a wee peek at the league table, aye?

That certainly wouldn't help things either.