PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Scouts

CorrieHibs
26-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Who was the last decent foreign player we signed from a foreign team? not a British team.

Obviously Boozy, Jack, Sauzee and Latapy spring to my mind straight away.

I was discussing it with my mate. What do Hibs scounts actually do?

Motherwell, Kilmarnock,Aberdeen, Hearts all seem to find decent foreigners while we can't ever find gems in, Eastern Europe or Scandanavia?

SRHibs
26-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Dickoh - Frances, that is. Not the one born and raised in Pilton. ;)

BEEJ
26-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Who was the last decent foreign player we signed from a foreign team? not a British team.

Obviously Boozy, Jack, Sauzee and Latapy spring to my mind straight away.

I was discussing it with my mate. What do Hibs scouts actually do?

Motherwell, Kilmarnock,Aberdeen, Hearts all seem to find decent foreigners while we can't ever find gems in, Eastern Europe or Scandanavia?
Very important question. :agree:

SL did say in an interview earlier in the season that this was one area he would be spending some time on during 2011/12 - i.e. strengthening the club's scouting network, not personally scouting for players. :greengrin

Andy74
26-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Eoin Doyle.

BEEJ
26-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Eoin Doyle.
PF was 'scout' in that instance. No third party advice required.

SRHibs
26-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Sol Bamba would be another one.

EDIT: Actually no, he wouldn't. Was under the impression he came directly from PSG for some reason.

Makaveli
26-01-2012, 12:55 PM
With the obvious exception of HKT I can't think of any either.

Future17
26-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Zemmama.

SquashedFrogg
26-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Zemmama.

DeGraff

Billychaotic182
26-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Zemmama, Dickoh, Thicot, DeGraff, HKT and Benji

The_Exile
26-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Think Zemmama was very much a Benji recommendation wasn't he? Think he was in the paper saying he laughed when they asked him what the chancies of us getting him were as Benji thought the wee man was destined for great things.

Lucius Apuleius
26-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Don't know why we need all these johnny foreigners. When we were last a great team we never had any in the team!!! Bring on more young sweaties I say.

Sunny1875
26-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Was thinking scouts had been largely replaced by agents trying to flog players and line their own pockets who send dvd clips of the best bits of tom kite players for managers or tache's to decide on bringing in, by the standard of some of our signings over the past few seasons I am unsure whether they are recommended by football scouts or boy scouts.

Bostonhibby
26-01-2012, 05:57 PM
We're being unfair, they've nae time to spot someone who can tackle, lead, pass a ba', take a throw in etc.

They are too busy tying knots, putting up tents & heating up beans and sausages in a tin over a fire to get involved in unearthing gems of the sort mentioned above......... Just wait till RP finds out what they have actually been doing when they should have been attending bargain basement fitba matches looking for guys we could sell on for more than we paid for them.:wink:

down the slope
26-01-2012, 06:12 PM
We're being unfair, they've nae time to spot someone who can tackle, lead, pass a ba', take a throw in etc.

They are too busy tying knots, putting up tents & heating up beans and sausages in a tin over a fire to get involved in unearthing gems of the sort mentioned above......... Just wait till RP finds out what they have actually been doing when they should have been attending bargain basement fitba matches looking for guys we could sell on for more than we paid for them.:wink:

It's no they kind of scouts it's like tonto or the ones they used to have on wagon train !, our scout would be called Big Heap !.

cocopops1875
26-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Think Zemmama was very much a Benji recommendation wasn't he? Think he was in the paper saying he laughed when they asked him what the chancies of us getting him were as Benji thought the wee man was destined for great things.
so zooma was scouted then? And the manager asked a player who likely knew of him what his opinion was? Hardly a recommendation

Bostonhibby
26-01-2012, 06:21 PM
It's no they kind of scouts it's like tonto or the ones they used to have on wagon train !, our scout would be called Big Heap !.

:greengrin

CorrieHibs
27-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Zemmama, Dickoh, Thicot, DeGraff, HKT and Benji

I said decent players. I'll give you Zemmamma. The rest were humpty

sadtom
27-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Was told recently by a Hibs scout that CC turned down a big strong centre back during the preseason because he preferred to look for a british player, despite this guy being made available and looking more than the part..
Also it costs money to send scouts abroad to check on players. From what i hear it the board arent exactly kean to finance thats.

Bostonhibby
27-01-2012, 04:13 PM

:agree: Scouted? Could have got Dickoh, Thicot and De Graff as a result of a particularly bad game of cards or spin of the roulette wheel, nae obvious skill in the selection process there, mair like a dodgy DVD player.

SteveHFC
27-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Does anyone how to get a job as a Hibs Scout :wink:

Gala Foxes
27-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Does anyone how to get a job as a Hibs Scout :wink:

Probably as easy as getting a job as Hibs Goalkeeping Coach

Knowledge of cheap desperate lower league English players that can't get a game is a pre-requisite

.Sean.
27-01-2012, 11:22 PM

Benji would've walked into both last seasons and this seasons squads. I rated him.

dmc1875
27-01-2012, 11:37 PM
John Park led our scouting team that found us the likes of Boozy, Killen & Benji. He was also the one who suggested to TM to sign Murphy, Sproule and Shiels.

He definitely suggested some duds (Konte, Rudge for example) But on the whole JP's recommendations were a much better calibre of player than what we have seen come in since he departed west.

Since he has been away.. god knows who is scouting players for us!

Saorsa
27-01-2012, 11:41 PM
John Park led our scouting team that found us the likes of Boozy, Killen & Benji. He was also the one who suggested to TM to sign Murphy, Sproule and Shiels.

He definitely suggested some duds (Konte, Rudge for example) But on the whole JP's recommendations were a much better calibre of player than what we have seen come in since he departed west.

Since he has been away.. god knows who is scouting players for us!:dunno: :greengrin

http://johnsrambling.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/blind-man.gif

dmc1875
27-01-2012, 11:49 PM
:dunno: :greengrin

:faf:

Sioux
28-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Bit of realism required. There are thousands of potential targets out there and its impossible for any club to to construct a scouting system to cover even a small percentage. What happens in reality is that agents become the 'scouts'. Agents bombard managers with details of potentially available players. Similarly, managers will contact agents; "have you got a good right back on your books?" for example. This is one of the reasons clubs have so many trialists in for a few days.

Of course a trial is not a necessity if the manager knows the player offered, but if players coming in was restricted to players known only to the manages and his staff, its not a very big pool. Same with fans. Fans don't have a clue of the potentiall out there and only offfer their expert opinion on players they have seen, or had in Football Manager:cb

The Sea-gull
28-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Eoin Doyle.

Hope you are being sarcastic. He might turn out to be a good signing but he has not been here anywhere near enough long enough to judge either way.

Gala Foxes
28-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Not so sure our scouting strategy involves casting the net far and wide and studying loads of prospects - seems to me that if you compared it to shopping at Tesco's we should be going round all the shelves systematically but instead we are going straight to the "everything for a £1 or under /nearing its sell by date" shelf.

We need to wrestle control of the trolley away from Rod

Anyway enough of my shopping stories - I'm away to the shops to get the papers and the rolls

Judas Iscariot
28-01-2012, 08:11 AM
:dunno: :greengrin

Pahahahahahahaaa :top marks:faf: