PDA

View Full Version : Gavin Rae

Caroline Hibby
26-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Apologies if posted elsewhere - according to BBC gossip we're in for Gavin Rae, and so are Aberdeen

The Sea-gull
26-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Gavin Rae is Aberdeen born and bred.

An Aberdeen fan who has stated in the past he wants to play for them before he retires.

They came close to signing him in the summer but did not have enough in their budget.

If they can afford him and agree a deal with him then there is no way he'll come to ER for a relegation battle in favour of them.

If he comes to Hibs then Aberdeen are either not interested or Hibs have offered him significantly more than Aberdeen have. If the latter was to be the case then I'm not sure he is worth putting a decent wage to.

Iain G
26-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Gavin Rae is Aberdeen born and bread.

An Aberdeen fan who has stated in the past he wants to play for them before he retires.

They came close to signing him in the summer but did not have enough in their budget.

If they can afford him and agree a deal with him then there is no way he'll come to ER for a relegation battle in favour of them.

If he comes to Hibs then Aberdeen are either not interested or Hibs have offered him significantly more than Aberdeen have. If the latter was to be the case then I'm not sure he is worth putting a decent wage to.

Good lot of experience to bring to the fight though :agree:

Frazerbob
26-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Yes please!!!

He's been getting rave reviews at Dundee.....far too good for the 1st division was one quote I read.

brog
26-01-2012, 09:23 AM
[QUOTE=The Sea-gull;3088058]Gavin Rae is Aberdeen born and bread.

He'll want too much dough then!! Sorry!! is this Greggs? :wink:

LancsHibs
26-01-2012, 09:24 AM
He only rejoined Dundee in the summer! What type of contract is he on with them? Would he cost us a transfer fee?

Lucius Apuleius
26-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Gavin Rae is Aberdeen born and bread.

Surely it would be the only crumb of comfort to him?

Iain G
26-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Surely it would be the only crumb of comfort to him?

He still has to earn his crust...

stokesmessiah
26-01-2012, 09:33 AM
He only rejoined Dundee in the summer! What type of contract is he on with them? Would he cost us a transfer fee?

I think if memory serves me correctly it was a 1yr deal expiring this summer.

scuttle
26-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Hes an OUTSIDER to sign for us

DC_Hibs
26-01-2012, 09:46 AM
I think if memory serves me correctly it was a 1yr deal expiring this summer.

Google "Gavin Rae Dundee" and there will be various places on there first page of results confirming he signed till January.
It saves you posting false information.
No offence intended yeah.

Sorry, I've no puns to add Guys. There are plenty of total throbbers willing to do that on countless threads anyway.

Have a great day y'all.

Cheerio.

Hibbyradge
26-01-2012, 09:51 AM
If he uses his loaf, he'll sign for us.

After all, with PF in charge, it won't be long till we're in the Champions league, and seeded.

SMAXXA
26-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Should this not be on the transfer update thread? :confused:

FWIW I havnt seen or heared much of him since he went to Dundee but he certainly has plenty experience.

Keith_M
26-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Google "Gavin Rae Dundee" and there will be various places on there first page of results confirming he signed till January.

Sorry, I've no puns to add Guys. There are plenty of total throbbers willing to do that on countless threads anyway.

Have a great day y'all.

Cheerio.

Wow! Are you not getting any?

scuttle
26-01-2012, 10:08 AM

Have a great day y'all.

Cheerio.

Learn how to spell there [their] before you go calling guys throbbers ya throbber

nonshinyfinish
26-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Learn how to spell there [their] before you go calling guys throbbers ya throbber

:Ummm:

EDIT: Ah, spotted it now. :doh:

DC_Hibs
26-01-2012, 10:13 AM

What a dumpling!!!!

SMAXXA
Wow! Are you not getting any?

I agree! Slightly over the top and harsh IMO, chill out FFS,

FastEddieFelson

Have a great day y'all.

Cheerio.

:top marks

scuttle
26-01-2012, 10:21 AM
What a dumpling!!!!

I always thought Gavin was a decent player

oneone73
26-01-2012, 10:24 AM
He's cup-tied, isn't he?

Pretty Boy
26-01-2012, 10:35 AM
What a dumpling!!!!

That's clootie order mate.

What a throbber I am.

TRC
26-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Aberdeen will be after him to replace Arnason. Who i thinks a good player and we'd be better off going for him.

Pretty Boy
26-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Aberdeen will be after him to replace Arnason. Who i thinks a good player and we'd be better off going for him.

Turned down 5k a week to become their best paid player. No chance he's coming to us. His agent must know there is a better offer available in the Championship.

Lucius Apuleius
26-01-2012, 10:44 AM

Have a great day y'all.

Cheerio.

Chill man, think you are making too much of a (whole)meal of this than necessary. Personally think you are heading for a ban(nock). Slippy buttery slope methinks.

PS, I wish I could get a throbber. Them were the days them were. :wink:

stokesmessiah
26-01-2012, 10:45 AM

Have a great day y'all.

Cheerio.

Have you always acted like a tool ?

stokesmessiah
26-01-2012, 10:46 AM

I thought that as well but as already mentioned he is after 5K a week which we aint going to be paying anytime soon.

CallumLaidlaw
26-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Turned down 5k a week to become their best paid player. No chance he's coming to us. His agent must know there is a better offer available in the Championship.

I think he WANTED £5K a week. Aberdeen tried to make him best paid player, but didn't meet the £5k

--------
26-01-2012, 10:55 AM

Have a great day y'all.

Cheerio.

Depends on how you say it, surely?

If it reads, "various places on their first page" - as meaning "the first page belonging to them" - you're right.

But if it reads, "various places on there - first page of results confirming, etc" then you're wrong.

We all make wee mistakes in spelling and grammar from time to time - for instance, it's usually considered accepted practice to close off a sentence (like the one you've just posted) with a full stop.

:devil:

:stirrer:

IWasThere2016
26-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Yes please!!!

He's been getting rave reviews at Dundee.....far too good for the 1st division was one quote I read.

Yup - and Sheepland bound I should think.

Jones28
26-01-2012, 10:59 AM
That's clootie order mate.

What a throbber I am.

Me too, it took this thread and DC_Hibs to finally make me realise it, I doff my cap to you sir :agree:

Dashing Bob S
26-01-2012, 11:06 AM
I agree! Slightly over the top and harsh IMO, chill out FFS,

Its obviously the result of bad breiding.

the_ginger_hibee
26-01-2012, 11:11 AM

Have a great day y'all.

Cheerio.

:greengrin

Arrive.
Win.
Leave.

scuttle
26-01-2012, 11:50 AM
[QUOTE=Doddie;3088157]Depends on how you say it, surely?

If it reads, "various places on their first page" - as meaning "the first page belonging to them" - you're right.

But if it reads, "various places on there - first page of results confirming, etc" then you're wrong.

We all make wee mistakes in spelling and grammar from time to time - for instance, it's usually considered accepted practice to close off a sentence (like the one you've just posted) with a full stop.
Who are you, the grammer polis? [is that better punctuation]

SMAXXA
26-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Its obviously the result of bad breiding.

I agree.

I wouldnt write Gavin Rae off, if he came to Hibs he would get a fair crack at the whip. As long as he kawed his Pan in and done well, I would Toast to that! Duno how much Doe he would want though, expect it would be a Rise on what he is on at Dundee.

aussie_hibee
26-01-2012, 12:15 PM
One of my mates over here is best mates with him. I'll see what I can find out.

SteveHFC
26-01-2012, 12:27 PM
5 years ago I would take him but not now Rae is crap.

Mikey_1875
26-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Definetely the type of player we kneed to get us rising up the table again.
would be a good signing but agree he is probably Aberdeen bound if given straight choice.

eastmainsmsh
26-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Always thought Rae would be a good addition if we are in for him

Albion Hibs
26-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Good player, would be a great addition to the midfield. It was not that long ago he was captaining a side that was in and around the championship promotion spots every season.

He will chose us over the sheep and be a hibby by the weekend surely!!

Jim44
26-01-2012, 02:09 PM
He's yeast what we knead. :offski:

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-01-2012, 04:20 PM
He could bring the slice of luck we need and
when things get lively, he can keep the piece.

greenlex
26-01-2012, 04:24 PM
I think he WANTED £5K a week. Aberdeen tried to make him best paid player, but didn't meet the £5k
If he's after that sort of dough then he wont be coming here.

Springbank
26-01-2012, 05:16 PM
I agree the punners are throbbers. Back on topic i heard rae's wage demands were daylight throbbery

HibbyAndy
26-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Gavin Rae? Aye right. No thanks.

scuttle
26-01-2012, 05:36 PM
I agree the punners are throbbers. Back on topic i heard rae's wage demands were daylight throbbery

Why dont we sign his teamate Throbert Douglas as welll

SquashedFrogg
26-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Why dont we sign his teamate Throbert Douglas as welll

Would rather re-sign Throb Jones :cb

Pretty Boy
26-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Would rather re-sign Throb Jones :cb

If we are going for a defender I'd prefer Throbby Mann, whatever he's up to these days.

SquashedFrogg
26-01-2012, 07:00 PM
If we are going for a defender I'd prefer Throbby Mann, whatever he's up to these days.

Not a bad shout. Pity we couldn't go back in time and get Throbby Stiles or Sir Throbby Charlton...

Or more recently, Throberto Solano :tumble:

Pretty Boy
26-01-2012, 07:03 PM
This is just getting silly now.

Although Throberto Carlos might be keen on a swansong in the SPL.

SquashedFrogg
26-01-2012, 07:09 PM

You're right, this is getting silly but as there's no footy on it's my only source of entertainment.

Talking of entertainment..

"If you want entertainment, go to the cinema..."

Throbby Williamson

Right, I'd best be off before I get into trouble.. :offski:

PeterboroHibee
26-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Not sure how I would feel about us signing him, would be a decent addition to the squad, experienced player who could have came on at the end of games, but if hes our answer to missing out on Goodwin, would be a bit disappointed.

Sergy Pie
26-01-2012, 08:13 PM
I'd be over the mothers pride if we signed him. He's exactly what we bun. I hope we sieve and make a bid for him. He's the flour we've been rolling pin for. :loser:

greenlex
26-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Was Throbbie Neilson a Heart Throb?

TrickyNicky
26-01-2012, 10:01 PM

A Throbbie Williams concert at Yeaster Road could raise the dough for a Spanish acquithision such as thith !

aussie_hibee
26-01-2012, 11:02 PM
It's between us, dons and st Johnstone. Lengthiest contract will seal the deal.

SRHibs
26-01-2012, 11:55 PM
[QUOTE=Doddie;3088157]Depends on how you say it, surely?

Who are you, the grammer polis? [is that better punctuation]

Nah, the 'grammar polis' actually. Need to watch out for those grammer polis imposters.

SteveHFC
26-01-2012, 11:56 PM

Fenlon has missed out on St Mirren midfielder Jim Goodwin and has dropped his interest in young Arsenal striker Rhys Murphy but could still move for Dundee veteran Gavin Rae.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4089814/Pat-Fenlons-at-a-loss-about-Leigh.html#ixzz1kcFVHSnf

aussie_hibee
27-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Fenlon has missed out on St Mirren midfielder Jim Goodwin and has dropped his interest in young Arsenal striker Rhys Murphy but could still move for Dundee veteran Gavin Rae.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4089814/Pat-Fenlons-at-a-loss-about-Leigh.html#ixzz1kcFVHSnf

Not sure why you have quoted me? Are you agreeing with my info or questioning it?

Joe
27-01-2012, 02:31 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4089692/Brown-in-Hughes-and-Dan-deals.html

Looks like it's gonna be us, Dons pulled out after getting Hughes.

bingo70
27-01-2012, 05:40 AM
Fenlon confirms in todays scotsman we're interested in him

PeterboroHibee
27-01-2012, 06:28 AM

You sure? I spoke to one of my mates who is a Dundee fan and he said Rae is off to Australia in the summer and its just a deal until then (he also said he would be a decent short term move however)?

Judas Iscariot
27-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Better than most, if not all of the CM's we already so would be happy with this :aok:

carnoustiehibee
27-01-2012, 08:14 AM
He is going to aus in the summer! My guess is he'll stay at Dundee till then, good mates with Barry smith.

SMAXXA
27-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Was Throbbie Neilson a Heart Throb?

That got me thinking anyone heared ho Trobbston Jonelit is doing these days :greengrin

Sorry sorry pun alert I know but im grumpy an its cheered me up a tad, as sad as it may be.

Spike Mandela
27-01-2012, 09:17 AM
That got me thinking anyone heared ho Trobbston Jonelit is doing these days :greengrin

Sorry sorry pun alert I know but im grumpy an its cheered me up a tad, as sad as it may be.

Ignoring the pun:wink: He played regularly for Genk including Champions League qualifiers.

CRAZYHIBBY
27-01-2012, 09:52 AM
He could be the rae of sunshine hibs need

basehibby
27-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Not sure how I would feel about us signing him, would be a decent addition to the squad, experienced player who could have came on at the end of games, but if hes our answer to missing out on Goodwin, would be a bit disappointed.

This is obviously the case as they are players in a similar mould - unfortunately, given that our board were happy to lie down to St Mirren, I can easilly see him ending up at the sheep :rolleyes:

stokesmessiah
27-01-2012, 11:12 AM
This is obviously the case as they are players in a similar mould - unfortunately, given that our board were happy to lie down to St Mirren, I can easilly see him ending up at the sheep :rolleyes:

Looks like they have already given up on him.

aussie_hibee
27-01-2012, 02:51 PM
You sure? I spoke to one of my mates who is a Dundee fan and he said Rae is off to Australia in the summer and its just a deal until then (he also said he would be a decent short term move however)?

I asked my mate who lives in Sydney, who texted gav. Gav replied and that got forwarded to me.
They are best mates and grew up together. The move to oz has been on the cards for a while.

Just passing on what I was told.

RickyS
27-01-2012, 03:35 PM
I asked my mate who lives in Sydney, who texted gav. Gav replied and that got forwarded to me.
They are best mates and grew up together. The move to oz has been on the cards for a while.

Just passing on what I was told.

he said as much in an interview recently. his wife is from Oz, but he reckons he has 2 years left here before they retire over there.

Sean1875
27-01-2012, 07:29 PM
SSN saying that according to their sources we have ended our interest in him.

stokesmessiah
27-01-2012, 07:37 PM

Possibly because something else is lined up?

Andy74
27-01-2012, 07:48 PM

Petrie refused to pay him I presume.

Don Giovanni
27-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Petrie refused to pay him I presume.

Yep, Rod is slowly but surely seeing his dream come to fruition. He has looked into his crystal moustache and seen the future of Scottish football - an amateur league in which the players pay weekly subs to the club in order to be included in the squad.

As usual, we are simply ahead of the curve in this respect.

skankomcphee
27-01-2012, 08:38 PM

Have a great day y'all.

Cheerio.

I don't like the cut of your jib. Never have, never will - always looking to be the wise guy.

PeterboroHibee
27-01-2012, 09:01 PM

Lots of Aberdeen fans on twitter saying hes signed/close to signing for them...

Mikey_1875
28-01-2012, 04:56 AM
This rumour has went stale, move along

down the slope
28-01-2012, 07:15 AM
Signing a one and a half year contract for the Dons on monday or so it says in the Record, another one gone !.

brydekirk
28-01-2012, 07:19 AM
Thank god

down the slope
28-01-2012, 07:25 AM
Aye, better with a few unknowns. that worked for us in the past !!!!.

lucky
28-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Another one bites the dust. Hibs have lost players we were after to Hearts, St. Johnstone, St. Mirren and the sheep. If you add the old firm to the list. Hibs are fast becoming the club that no one wants to sign for. We need the answers. Is it money or the regime at Hibs?

AlbertK86
28-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Another one bites the dust. Hibs have lost players we were after to Hearts, St. Johnstone, St. Mirren and the sheep. If you add the old firm to the list. Hibs are fast becoming the club that no one wants to sign for. We need the answers. Is it money or the regime at Hibs?

A bit of both

Golden Bear
28-01-2012, 08:28 AM
For some reason I see Gavin Rae's decision a bigger kick in the wotsits than Jim Goodwin's preference to stay with St Mirren.

I suppose Rae is an Aberdeen lad but it's worrying that our current predicament is proving to be a major factor in our ability/failure to attract experienced players.

Westie1875
28-01-2012, 08:29 AM

Probably both

Judas Iscariot
28-01-2012, 08:32 AM
So did we choose not to pursue him for our own good and a better player OR is it just the case we now can't/won't compete with St Mirren & Aberdeen :dunno:

Golden Bear
28-01-2012, 08:32 AM
Probably both

Or maybe its simply a case that potential signings don't fancy the prospect of playing in the First Division and are not willing to take the risk. (but obviously not in Rae's case)

Saorsa
28-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Aye, better with a few unknowns. that worked for us in the past !!!!.Aye, we need known quantities with quality and experience, yet once again we look like we're going tae be dipping in the lucky bag of trialists and inexperienced kids tae make up the rest of what the manager needs.

as the managers targets are missed again this window. :rolleyes:

Hibs7
28-01-2012, 08:45 AM
It was never stated that PF was in for Rae, he just said he fitted the profile of the type of player we were after. A lot of conjecture on here again.

RIP
28-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Player to his wife/dad/mate

P - "I have a choice between 2 clubs"

WDM - "Oh aye - which 2?"
P - "Aberdeen and Hibs"

WDM - "OK- How long do you want to be there?"
P - "Dunno - 2 or 3 years, longer if it works out"

WDM - "Understand that - Do you like being abused from the stands?"
P - "No - what player does?"

WDM - "Right - And do you want to play SPL next season?"
P - "Of course"

WDM - "No brainer surely - must be Aberdeen."
"At Hibs you will either get caught up in the revolving door or the 1st Division - or both? And as for their supporters - their players are getting sick fed up with them"

I'm not slagging my club here - it's just our reputation can't be great at the moment. This is what the lack of a viable football strategy since 2007 has done to us. It wouldn't be surprising if our track record, media coverage, difficulties over the past 2 years and current league position is scaring some players off.

Pat has a challenge and I'm worried that 5 out oif 6 guys we signed last window are away after a year. I hope Pat is not down to third choice picks, jobless journeymen and other teams rejects already. Time will tell.

Saorsa
28-01-2012, 09:19 AM
It was never stated that PF was in for Rae, he just said he fitted the profile of the type of player we were after. A lot of conjecture on here again.He may or may not have been a target, I certainly never said he was. What is clear is the manager has missed out on one target that we know of and we have had and do have trialists in again. Now and again you pick up a good player but most of what we get end up being as bad or worse than those they are replacing, that is not the answer and it's not what we need. We are in trouble again and once again a Hibs manager is missing out on targets he thinks can get us out of that and we are dipping in the lucky bag again. When he's finished with the lucky bag nae doubt he'll be looking in here.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/BotB.jpg

Sammy7nil
28-01-2012, 09:21 AM

P - "Aberdeen and Hibs"

P - "Of course"

"At Hibs you will either get caught up in the revolving door or the 1st Division - or both? And as for their supporters - their players are getting sick fed up with them"

I'm not slagging my club here - it's just our reputation can't be great at the moment. This is what the lack of a viable football strategy since 2007 has done to us. It wouldn't be surprising if our track record, media coverage, difficulties over the past 2 years and current league position is scaring some players off.

Pat has a challenge and I'm worried that 5 out oif 6 guys we signed last window are away after a year. I hope Pat is not down to third choice picks, jobless journeymen and other teams rejects already. Time will tell.

Yeah thats right other clubs never abuse their players or managers.
ask Mark mcGhee a dons legend or maybe Jimmy Calderwood, Darren Mackie exactly how good the dons fans are?

All the problems at Hibs are down to our nasty fans

down the slope
28-01-2012, 09:24 AM
What we need is proven SPL players , once again we are raking about in the bargain basement of football .

IWasThere2016
28-01-2012, 09:26 AM
18-month deal, on 1.5k basic and decent bonuses. Said days ago he'd go there.

Hainan Hibs
28-01-2012, 09:34 AM

Sorry, but what total tosh. Having been at Pittodrie a number of times in the past few years in the Sheep end, and having to hear the constant drone of boo's every 2nd Saturday now I live near the stadium, if you think Pittodrie is a family fun day each Saturday compared to Easter Road you are way off track.

Their players have had to put up with abuse just as bad, and under McGhee, a hell of a lot worse than what Hibs players do now.

I'm not condoning in anyway the abuse of Griffths etc, but Hibs aren't some special case, every club has fans that dish it out.

Www1875hfc
28-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Aberdeen bound.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16772412.stm?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

BEEJ
28-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Aberdeen bound.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16772412.stm?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
So according to the BBC, PF's interest had progressed to Hibs actually making him an offer.

The_Todd
28-01-2012, 10:07 AM
I doubt Aberdeen would have offered more cash, so I don't think cash was the issue. It could just be he's an Aberdeen boy and the pull of playing for Aberdeen before retiring was the clincher, which is understandable to all of us I'd think. So, although cash isn't the issue we're going to have to make it the issue. Sure, we're not rolling in cash right now - but then no SPL team is outside of Celtic. We have to stretch the budget now, and STF has to loan the club some money; the only way we'll attract these players is offering them something to make them see past our current position and I'm afraid with the modern footballer that thing is cash.

IWasThere2016
28-01-2012, 10:19 AM
The Sheep have a wage limit of 1,500 basic a week. One reason Foster was sold.

The_Todd
28-01-2012, 10:22 AM
The Sheep have a wage limit of 1,500 basic a week. One reason Foster was sold.

Surely, then, Rae's decision was emotional. Playing for his boyhood heroes type thing. Fair enough.

HFC07
28-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Ah Nae doubt- what is it with Hibs, players just do not want to come here.

blackpoolhibs
28-01-2012, 10:27 AM

P - "Aberdeen and Hibs"

P - "Of course"

I tell you what, i have spoken some serious sheite on this site over the years, but i have no need to worry on that score ever again.

Saorsa
28-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Surely, then, Rae's decision was emotional. Playing for his boyhood heroes type thing. Fair enough.Convenient that these targets (if Rae was indeed a target) apparently have reasons other than money for no wanting tae come here for what Hibs will pay, isn't it? :rolleyes:

H18sry
28-01-2012, 10:39 AM
I tell you what, i have spoken some serious sheite on this site over the years, but i have no need to worry on that score ever again.

:cool2: you sure :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
28-01-2012, 10:40 AM
:cool2: you sure :greengrin

Probably not, but it wouldnt have made the point i was trying to make sound better. :wink:

Col2
28-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Surely, then, Rae's decision was emotional. Playing for his boyhood heroes type thing. Fair enough.

Your assuming Hibs would have beaten that offer or at worse matched it. I am not sure about that.

Pretty Boy
28-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Convenient that these targets (if Rae was indeed a target) apparently have reasons other than money for no wanting tae come here for what Hibs will pay, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Equally convenient that a similar number of posters argue money is the only reason anyone turns us down

andy1875
28-01-2012, 10:54 AM
So it would be fair to say that Fenlons first choice for a midfield enforcer was Jim Goodwin, Failed to get him. 2nd choice- Michael Tonge, set to go to Barnsley? 3rd choice- Gavin Rae, gonna sign for the Dons.

So we're now gonna be looking at 4th choice at best. No wonder were in the position we're in when we can't get the players in the gaffer has obviously scouted and identified as the best of breed for what we need.

Same old , different day.

Judas Iscariot
28-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Ah Nae doubt- what is it with Hibs, players just do not want to come here.

We're 1 point from bottom place and may be in the 1st Division next season?

Judas Iscariot
28-01-2012, 10:57 AM
So it would be fair to say that Fenlons first choice for a midfield enforcer was Jim Goodwin, Failed to get him. 2nd choice- Michael Tonge, set to go to Barnsley? 3rd choice- Gavin Rae, gonna sign for the Dons.

So we're now gonna be looking at 4th choice at best. No wonder were in the position we're in when we can't get the players in the gaffer has obviously scouted and identified as the best of breed for what we need.

Hopefully the Pars aren't interested in him :cool2:

CallumLaidlaw
28-01-2012, 10:58 AM

I would disagree with Tonge. He's a different type of player, and we were pursuing Goodwin at the same time. But certainly looks like we'll be looking at our 3rd choice target (Pattison?) at least. Although, Pattison has been having a trial with Leeds which didn't work out so he MAY have been further up the pecking order.

The_Todd
28-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Convenient that these targets (if Rae was indeed a target) apparently have reasons other than money for no wanting tae come here for what Hibs will pay, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I'm not commenting on other targets, I was commenting solely on Rae.

Scouse Hibee
28-01-2012, 11:04 AM

P - "Aberdeen and Hibs"

P - "Of course"

This is becoming a bit of an obsession for you!

BarneyK
28-01-2012, 11:05 AM
I would disagree with Tonge. He's a different type of player, and we were pursuing Goodwin at the same time. But certainly looks like we'll be looking at our 3rd choice target (Pattison?) at least. Although, Pattison has been having a trial with Leeds which didn't work out so he MAY have been further up the pecking order.

Important point there. According to the - ever reliable - Wikipedia, Simon Grayson only announced yesterday that he wouldn't be offering him a deal. Therefore he wasn't 3rd or 4th option for Paddy, he's a new option. :agree:

Emerald
28-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Maybe if we had manager that players wanted to sign for, we may not have missed out. Now I'm not saying he's a bad manager but how many times have you heard players saying that the reason for signing was the manager and wanting to play for them. Could be that players don't fancy taking a risk with a club at the bottom of the league and a manager that is untried at this level. Just a thought.:dunno:

Aldo
28-01-2012, 11:43 AM
In the last few weeks this place has been suicidal. Miss out in him.... Moan bout the board... Miss out in him... Moan bout the board ... Rumour that someone might be being looked at... Moaning because their not good enough.

Yes this is a forum and everyone has the right to voice an opinion but FFS folk need tae take a good look at themselves.

We are not going to sign world beaters ENDOF FACT or what ever you want. Folk need to lower their standards a bit regarding players tbh.

Like everyone else I want to see a winning Hibs team but heay it's not happening at the moment.

PF is trying his best to add some quality to the team so let's no slaughter them

blackpoolhibs
28-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Important point there. According to the - ever reliable - Wikipedia, Simon Grayson only announced yesterday that he wouldn't be offering him a deal. Therefore he wasn't 3rd or 4th option for Paddy, he's a new option. :agree:

Have you ever thought that more than one club can be after the same player?

franco
28-01-2012, 11:50 AM

lol just spat my breakfast all over my screen that was a cracker:greengrin

Saorsa
28-01-2012, 11:50 AM
In the last few weeks this place has been suicidal. Miss out in him.... Moan bout the board... Miss out in him... Moan bout the board ... Rumour that someone might be being looked at... Moaning because their not good enough.

Yes this is a forum and everyone has the right to voice an opinion but FFS folk need tae take a good look at themselves.

We are not going to sign world beaters ENDOF FACT or what ever you want. Folk need to lower their standards a bit regarding players tbh.

Like everyone else I want to see a winning Hibs team but heay it's not happening at the moment.

PF is trying his best to add some quality to the team so let's no slaughter themWorld beaters? Lower than what? ****in' St.Mirren? I have absolutely nae doubt PF is trying his hardest tae bring in players, it's no him I dinnae trust.

Hermit Crab
30-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Signed an 18 month deal with Aberdeen today.

Andy74
30-01-2012, 11:18 AM

Yep, a point that is missed every window. It just doesn't work with a list of names in December then you try and get them in January.

People become available that you would never have had in the equation.

Captain Trips
30-01-2012, 11:18 AM

P - "Aberdeen and Hibs"

P - "Of course"

We are no worse than any other fans if players actually bothered about fans shouting at them the Italian leagues would have about 3 players in it. The factors are wages/loaction/contract length in probly most cases in different orders. Players get stick from their own fans at every club so really think it isnt really a problem for getting players. Not your best post mate.

SMAXXA
30-01-2012, 11:31 AM

P - "Aberdeen and Hibs"

P - "Of course"

:faf:

You cant be for real. Your consistant I will give you that

Albion Hibs
30-01-2012, 11:47 AM
We are no worse than any other fans if players actually bothered about fans shouting at them the Italian leagues would have about 3 players in it. The factors are wages/loaction/contract length in probly most cases in different orders. Players get stick from their own fans at every club so really think it isnt really a problem for getting players. Not your best post mate.

I will happily disagree with you. If you think the fans dont impact on a player wanting to come to a club then I think you are kidding yourself. Take the other extreme a player would love to play in front of a full stadium with fans cheering on the team week in week out, why would the opposite not be a consideration?

I agree wages, location and contract lenght are more significant, but I think you are stating the obvious with that one.

I am sure it is more than possible when looking at what may be a deal based on similar terms between two clubs, players may look and think I cant be ersed with the hassle of playing for Hibs, abuse, booing, supporters that come and go like the wind, a club that changes its manager every 10-12 months, abuse if there is rumours of a player moving etc etc. All of these things coupled with our current league position make hibs a pretty unattactive option IMO just now.

Dont get me wrong we are likely to have lost Rae to the fact he is from that neck of the woods, but I heard he was at HTC last week, so there was clearly some factors that appealed to him, overall not attactive enough.

Captain Trips
30-01-2012, 11:55 AM
I will happily disagree with you. If you think the fans dont impact on a player wanting to come to a club then I think you are kidding yourself. Take the other extreme a player would love to play in front of a full stadium with fans cheering on the team week in week out, why would the opposite not be a consideration?

I agree wages, location and contract lenght are more significant, but I think you are stating the obvious with that one.

I am sure it is more than possible when looking at what may be a deal based on similar terms between two clubs, players may look and think I cant be ersed with the hassle of playing for Hibs, abuse, booing, supporters that come and go like the wind, a club that changes its manager every 10-12 months, abuse if there is rumours of a player moving etc etc. All of these things coupled with our current league position make hibs a pretty unattactive option IMO just now.

Dont get me wrong we are likely to have lost Rae to the fact he is from that neck of the woods, but I heard he was at HTC last week, so there was clearly some factors that appealed to him, overall not attactive enough.

Where was the amount of fans in stadium mentioned? It was about abusive ones the amount of fans in stadium will be reflected by club size which will also be a factor. I stated a player will sign for a club for reasons I stated, Gogs is making out that a player won't sign due to our abusive fans, I find that ridiculous and a player will find a reason with either location/contract/wages for not signing not a few fans complaining. Why you picking me out for stating obvious for me that is the reason most folk sign so correct to mention.

As for Rae probably last contract heard he wanted to play for Aberdeen, likely to have made good money in his career to accept Aberdeen offer at expense of maybe higher money elsewhere so can fulfil that desire, Hibs are interested but cannot probably give him a wage high enough to lure him from that desire. If anyone else wanted Rae I think you would need to at least double his offer from Aberdeen and then a bit.

H18sry
30-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Gavin Rae on BBC Scotland news "I was at Hibs training ground on Thursday, but when Aberdeen came in for me there was only 1 winner as I have family in the Aberdeen area." :wink:

CropleyWasGod
30-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Gavin Rae on BBC Scotland news "I was at Hibs training ground on Thursday, but when Aberdeen came in for me there was only 1 winner as I have family in the Aberdeen area." :wink:

It's all Petrie's fault. If only he'd arranged for Rae to have family in East Lothian. :rolleyes:

IWasThere2016
30-01-2012, 12:55 PM

Was always on the cards. Even I wouldnae blame Rodders et al for this one - there's a first! :wink: :greengrin

Hibernia Na Eir
30-01-2012, 08:47 PM
looks like coffin Dodger Brown signing a team of old guards,

seems very familiar to what he did with national team!

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Interesting to here that Rae was at East Mains because it is common knowledge up here that his stint at Dundee was a two-way deal to show Aberdeen that his legs hadn't gone. Did hear from a Northfield dweller that the Dons really shoved the boat to try to get the Icelandic boy to stay long term and that some of the beans ear-marked for Rae could have been factored into that. That would have left Rae, needing to check what else was on offer.

Baldy Foghorn
30-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Not fussed regarding Rae....

essexhibee
30-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Bovs. Much rather have soares and the Honduras boy in...fingers crossed. :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
30-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Bovs. Much rather have soares and the Honduras boy in...fingers crossed. :greengrin

:agree: Indeed

snooky
30-01-2012, 09:22 PM

Personally, I'd rather have Ted Ray than GR

RIP
31-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Where was the amount of fans in stadium mentioned? It was about abusive ones the amount of fans in stadium will be reflected by club size which will also be a factor. I stated a player will sign for a club for reasons I stated, Gogs is making out that a player won't sign due to our abusive fans, I find that ridiculous and a player will find a reason with either location/contract/wages for not signing not a few fans complaining. Why you picking me out for stating obvious for me that is the reason most folk sign so correct to mention.

I don't think abusive fans are a massive problem at Hibs. That's because I go to every home game and hear us singing and cheering.

However players only hear snippets and our press isn't good on that topic

Not relevant to Rae but try a random google and see what I mean