Saw this on one of the Saints sites. Tommy Craig working his magic. :greengrin

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/33161-alan-obrien/

Hopefully a trial selling pies or programmes. :greengrin

Hibernian Verse
23-01-2012, 03:39 PM
This never bodes well for us.

Sir David Gray
23-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Usually I would say that any ex-player going to an SPL team would come back and score a hat-trick against us, considering how things are going for us just now but I think that's pushing the boundaries as far as O'Brien's concerned. :greengrin

Pretty Boy
23-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Usually I would say that any ex-player going to an SPL team would come back and score a hat-trick against us, considering how things are going for us just now but I think that's pushing the boundaries as far as O'Brien's concerned. :greengrin

If O'Brien scores against us, or even beats a man against us, we are in worse shape than I thought.

R'Albin
23-01-2012, 03:46 PM
They must have remembered him tracking back and making that challenge that he did against them :agree:

Andy74
23-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Right, see you boys! :bye:

Hibbylad86
23-01-2012, 03:58 PM
:faf:

Brilliant. Quite easily one of the top 5 worst players ever to pull on Hibs jersey!

BTW how much did we pay for him?

EskbankHibby
23-01-2012, 04:05 PM
A last ditch attempt by St. Mirren to drag themselves into the relegation battle it would appear.

LancsHibs
23-01-2012, 04:20 PM
St.Mirren will be the first club we pass on our ascent on the SPL:agree:

frazeHFC
23-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Bet he does well. :rolleyes:

How we paid £200k for him i will never know!

fatbloke
23-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Result of Alan O'Brien's trial at St Mirren.

Found guilty of deception and false representation. Pretended to Danny Lennon he was a footballer.:greengrin

lyonhibs
23-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Bet he does well. :rolleyes:

How we paid £200k for him i will never know!

Ahhh, if only that was all his signing on fee amounted to.........

Somewhere, beneath the cowardly, half hearted shirker (one performance at Tynecastle still grates me to this day), there was a decent winger, but regrettably this player was buried about as far underground as the Earth's core.

hhibs
24-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Ahhh, if only that was all his signing on fee amounted to.........

Somewhere, beneath the cowardly, half hearted shirker (one performance at Tynecastle still grates me to this day), there was a decent winger, but regrettably this player was buried about as far underground as the Earth's core.

Good God !it was more than 200k?

This must be the Tommy Craig connection at St.Mirren me thinks.

Monts
24-01-2012, 12:48 PM
AOB got slated during his time here, and rightly so. His performances were mostly woeful.

But he is a confidence player. In the preseason just after he signed, he looked a real player, and could beat a man. Unfortunately for us he missed a couple of one on ones and then got injured. By the time he was back to fitness he had been roundly written off and the confidence was never likely to return.

I dare say that if he gets his confidence back, he could be a good signing for st mirren.

Lets hope not tho!

:pfgwa

Speedway
24-01-2012, 12:53 PM
AOB got slated during his time here, and rightly so. His performances were mostly woeful.

But he is a confidence player. In the preseason just after he signed, he looked a real player, and could beat a man. Unfortunately for us he missed a couple of one on ones and then got injured. By the time he was back to fitness he had been roundly written off and the confidence was never likely to return.

I dare say that if he gets his confidence back, he could be a good signing for st mirren.

Lets hope not tho!

:pfgwa

Hmm, looks like he had lots of injuries and no confidence everywhere else he's been.

You can only get your confidence back if you're actually any good. When you've been released by Yeovil, it's hard to reach that conclusion. Confidence therefore is unlikely to return to a player who has no right thinking that about his 'abilities'

IWasThere2016
24-01-2012, 01:08 PM
If O'Brien scores against us, or even beats a man against us, we are in worse shape than I thought.

:top marks

Right, see you boys! :bye:

:greengrin

smurf
24-01-2012, 01:12 PM
He's one ex player I would never fear...

Monts
24-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Hmm, looks like he had lots of injuries and no confidence everywhere else he's been.

You can only get your confidence back if you're actually any good. When you've been released by Yeovil, it's hard to reach that conclusion. Confidence therefore is unlikely to return to a player who has no right thinking that about his 'abilities'

You may be right, I have no idea about his career since he left us.

Im just saying there was a player in there somewhere.

HibbyAndy
24-01-2012, 01:24 PM
You just ken he will turn out to be a decent player for them.

Speedway
24-01-2012, 01:27 PM
He's one ex player I would never fear...

You just ken he will turn out to be a decent player for them.

What Smurf said.

Seveno
24-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Positively the worst player I have ever seen at ER. At least Konte was prepared to give it a go.

HibeeMG
24-01-2012, 01:57 PM
They must have remembered him tracking back and making that challenge that he did against them :agree:

I've been sitting here wracking my brains trying to remember that. But, alas, no I can't seem to picture it ever happening. It's so far fetched I think you made it up. Next you'll be saying he beat a man and put a cross in against them! :hilarious

The_Exile
24-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Positively the worst player I have ever seen at ER. At least Konte was prepared to give it a go.

My one abiding memory of Konte is the cross he ducked from against the Merricks, no idea what was going through his mind, hit the target or cower? Ach well, at least I have a memory of the Mali Magician, I could walk past O'Brien in the street and have no idea who the **** he was.

HibbyAndy
24-01-2012, 02:45 PM
My one abiding memory of Konte is the cross he ducked from against the Merricks, no idea what was going through his mind, hit the target or cower? Ach well, at least I have a memory of the Mali Magician, I could walk past O'Brien in the street and have no idea who the **** he was.

My abiding memory of Konte was him trying to win a penalty against Celtic at the famous five end where he went down 10 minutes after the initial contact, it was that embarrasin Easter rd burst out with laughter.

Legend.

dmc1875
24-01-2012, 03:09 PM
My abiding memory of Konte was him trying to win a penalty against Celtic at the famous five end where he went down 10 minutes after the initial contact, it was that embarrasin Easter rd burst out with laughter.

Legend.

My favourite memory of Konte (apart from the Celtic game as mentioned) Was the 7-0 game, think it was against Livi? He came off the bench and every time he touched the ball the fans were going mental willing him on...

He tried an audacious back heel flick that somehow the goalkeeper saved (brilliant save to be fair) and then fletcher volleyed in the re bound.

He just stood looking up to the sky as if saying 'why me?'

All hail the Mali Magician :not worth Sign him up! PETRIE GET IT SORTED!! :grr:

blackpoolhibs
24-01-2012, 03:18 PM
My favorite Konte moment was i think against Celtic, when someone played a diagonal ball from the west to the east, he ran to where he thought the ball would land, and it smacked him on the back of his head.

Comedy gold of the finest quality. :faf:

HibbyAndy
24-01-2012, 03:39 PM
My favorite Konte moment was i think against Celtic, when someone played a diagonal ball from the west to the east, he ran to where he thought the ball would land, and it smacked him on the back of his head.

Comedy gold of the finest quality. :faf:

A remember that :hilarious

Ozyhibby
24-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Alan o'brian was woeful but I'm not sure Danny Galbraith is any better.

macd123
24-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Alan o'brian was woeful but I'm not sure Danny Galbraith is any better.

C'mon!!! Galbraith has scored a goal! I've seen him beat a man. He's crossed a ball to one of his own players for a goal (Cowdenbeath).

blackpoolhibs
24-01-2012, 05:26 PM
C'mon!!! Galbraith has scored a goal! I've seen him beat a man. He's crossed a ball to one of his own players for a goal (Cowdenbeath).

Thats enough. :agree: Clearly a better player.

There's not much in it though. :boo hoo:

Andy74
24-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Thats enough. :agree: Clearly a better player.

There's not much in it though. :boo hoo:

Disagree.

O'Brien had 'The Falkirk Game'.

When's Galbraith's game coming? :greengrin

HibbyAndy
24-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Disagree.

O'Brien had 'The Falkirk Game'.

When's Galbraith's game coming? :greengrin

It came and went at Parkeid bagging the winner 2 years ago.

Mark79
24-01-2012, 05:37 PM
2 pages on one of the least impressive players ever to play for hibs. He has done the grand sum of hee haw since he left too.

Next Eduardo hurtado will be getting a trial at Aberdeen.

Diclonius
24-01-2012, 05:40 PM

O'Brien has an assist in a win against Hearts.

Andy74
24-01-2012, 05:50 PM

Was there not also an assist in a goal against Celtic at the Famous Five end? There was some technicality that it came off a Celtic player in between bu there was a one two, a burst of speed, a cut back and a goal out of it.

The guy was an assist machine when you think about it. :greengrin

Would have had 3 or 4 against Falkirk that game if Fletcher hadn't been wearing his lead boots.

HibbyAndy
24-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Was there not also an assist in a goal against Celtic at the Famous Five end? There was some technicality that it came off a Celtic player in between bu there was a one tow, a burst of speed, a cut back and a goal out of it.

The guy was an assist machine when you think about it. :greengrin

Would have had 3 or 4 against Falkirk that game if Fletcher hadn't been wearing his lead boots.

Cut back for Nish in the famous 'Squiggler' game:greengrin

Booked4Being-Ugly
24-01-2012, 06:05 PM
O'Brien has an assist in a win against Hearts.AOB had one good game for Hibs (yes it did happen) and that derby game was it, when he crossed for Steven Fletcher's goal.

Bostonhibby
24-01-2012, 06:05 PM

Sign him up for £200,000 quickly. Seriously £ for £ by far the worst player I have seen in a Hibs jersey, especially after the build up he got and I ahve seen a few deadbeats down the years.

Recently got punted by Swindon after an equally non descript spell, mind you they don't seem to have paid money for him.

bigwheel
24-01-2012, 06:37 PM
I once had dinner with Liam Brady, at the time he was also assistant to the ROI national side. It was just after we signed O'Brien. I asked him if he was any good, expecting a positive response. He thought for a bit before he responded "he's more chance of being a race horse than a footballer".....

The_Todd
24-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Well good to luck to him. That's all I'm saying on the matter.

Davy Mac
24-01-2012, 06:57 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JK2IJ7-eoo8/TZ1qebNEn7I/AAAAAAAAA7Q/x0K0a-l-oFY/s1600/film-the_incredibles-dash.jpg

3pm
24-01-2012, 07:02 PM
The only person who can be remotely happy about this is Harry Redknapp. This is now the most controversial trial in the UK.

Gala Foxes
24-01-2012, 07:35 PM
The return of the lethargic gloved Ronan Keating look-a-like imposter to Scottish Football - coming to a bench near you soon

Scouse Hibee
24-01-2012, 07:39 PM
I alaways expected AOB to turn up on Panorama and be exposed as a fake footballer who has tricked several managers into believing he was a player.

andy1875
24-01-2012, 07:59 PM
I once had dinner with Liam Brady, at the time he was also assistant to the ROI national side. It was just after we signed O'Brien. I asked him if he was any good, expecting a positive response. He thought for a bit before he responded "he's more chance of being a race horse than a footballer".....

Hahahahaha that's quality, Alan "the racehorse" O'Brien!!! Lol:thumbsup:

Currie-Cabbage
24-01-2012, 11:06 PM
To his credit, he was one of only a couple of players that bothered to come across to the fans after that woeful performance away to Elfsborg.

Dashing Bob S
24-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Tore Dani Alves a new one at Murrayfield.

Bishop Hibee
24-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Sign him up for £200,000 quickly. Seriously £ for £ by far the worst player I have seen in a Hibs jersey, especially after the build up he got and I ahve seen a few deadbeats down the years.

Recently got punted by Swindon after an equally non descript spell, mind you they don't seem to have paid money for him.

This :top marks Wage thief.

macd123
25-01-2012, 01:21 AM
AOB was like Brian Kerr on steroids

Wotherspiniesta
25-01-2012, 01:28 AM
Tore Dani Alves a new one at Murrayfield.

Alves has never been the same since.

I'm surprised Barca weren't chomping at the bit to sign up Thicot after that game aswell.

Xavi wishes he was as good as Thicot.

CRAZYHIBBY
25-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Obrien was one of the worst players ive ever seen at hibs........was constantly in the papers saying hibs fans were yet to see the best in him

oldbutdim
25-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Obrien was one of the worst players ive ever seen at hibs........was constantly in the papers saying hibs fans were yet to see the best in him

He could still say that.
:agree:

HibbyAndy
25-01-2012, 10:17 AM
IIRC Newcastle offered him a new contract and there were various championship clubs looking at him and im sure he was capped for ROI??..I really never seen anything other than a crap football player at Easter rd that offered absolutely nothing and wasn't deservant of a jersey but obviously had massive potential.

Defo a strange one.

Hibs On Tour
26-01-2012, 07:19 AM
Like **** off a shovel... well, ok then... like ****.

Worst and least committed player I have ever personally seen wearing our top. Complete waste of a jersey/wages/air/etc...

IWasThere2016
26-01-2012, 07:27 AM

Perm any 2 from 3 and Galbraith has it over the woeful O'Brien.

greenlex
26-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Its ended. He didnt impress and is offski. :rolleyes:

Bostonhibby
26-01-2012, 07:04 PM

To be fair, I think he probably knew his back was the best bit, and we only came to realise it when we seen the back of him.

Pedantic_Hibee
26-01-2012, 09:46 PM
I think he's what we'd call a training ground player.