PDA

View Full Version : Not that it will bother us but Scottish cup final to played on a Sunday

H18sry
23-01-2012, 12:13 PM
BBC sport's Liam McLeod on Twitter: "The SFA has confirmed from next year, the Scottish Cup final will be played on a Sunday"

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=142&newsCategoryID=7&newsID=9175

Thecat23
23-01-2012, 12:17 PM
What not just move it to a Tuesday night at 10pm? SFA bending over and taking a pumping as usual because god forbid anything was played the same day as the CL final. Clowns the lot of them.

HibeeSince85
23-01-2012, 12:18 PM
So 4th round ties played at the start of December now?

No sure about that tbh.

H18sry
23-01-2012, 12:18 PM
What not just move it to a Tuesday night at 10pm? SFA bending over and taking a pumping as usual because god forbid anything was played the same day as the CL final. Clowns the lot of them.

Under the new Champions League guidelines, national associations must not schedule fixtures on the same day as the final, which takes place on May 25 with an evening kick-off. :wink:

The Sea-gull
23-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Also states that the 4th round will now move from early January to early December.

Have to admit, I am a bit of a traditionalist and like the fact that the cup 4th round is played early January.

I can undertstand it comes at a time when people are skint and this may have affected attendances but at the same time, there are many other things going on in December that may mean fans miss cup games if they are played then.

Also, don't really think it will boost attendances from a financial point of view as many people are having to pay out for other things pre Xmas so a cup game may not be a priority.

Yet another baffling decision by Scottish footballs administration. Be it SFA or SPL they don't half make some strange ones.

Goes without saying, I'd take the games being played any time if it meant we ever won it though!

Purple & Green
23-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Under the new Champions League guidelines, national associations must not schedule fixtures on the same day as the final, which takes place on May 25 with an evening kick-off. :wink:

I wouldn't be surprised if the SFA aren't being entirely honest and the bigger issue is that the SFA hierarchy can't be in two places at once - they wouldn't want to miss their jolly to the Champions League Final now would they?

We'll see.

Future17
23-01-2012, 01:00 PM
What a day out that will be for the Hibees this year - Scottish Cup win and then watch the CL Final! :greengrin

Elephant Stone
23-01-2012, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the SFA aren't being entirely honest and the bigger issue is that the SFA hierarchy can't be in two places at once - they wouldn't want to miss their jolly to the Champions League Final now would they?

We'll see.

:agree:

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2012, 01:04 PM
In 2 years time we might have to send a reserve team out at Hampden. Unless i'm wrong, I'd imagine Pat would prioritise the champions league?

Lucius Apuleius
23-01-2012, 01:21 PM
In 2 years time we might have to send a reserve team out at Hampden. Unless i'm wrong, I'd imagine Pat would prioritise the champions league?

Booger me G man, you must have been serious there coz there ain't no smileys. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
23-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Good to see that the European dictatorship isn't just restricted to the EU nowadays. :rolleyes:

Why can't we just have a bit of courage by standing up to UEFA and tell them that WE'LL hold OUR national cup final whenever WE want?

I don't see how they'll clash anyway. The Scottish Cup final is always played at 3pm, whilst the Champions League final kicks off at 7.45pm.

JimBHibees
23-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Good to see that the European dictatorship isn't just restricted to the EU nowadays. :rolleyes:

Why can't we just have a bit of courage by standing up to UEFA and tell them that WE'LL hold OUR national cup final whenever WE want?

I don't see how they'll clash anyway. The Scottish Cup final is always played at 3pm, whilst the Champions League final kicks off at 7.45pm.

As has been highlighted in previous posts how would the well paid Executive Glitterati of the SFA be able to attend both and fully partake in the equisite hospitality at the Champs League final. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Booger me G man, you must have been serious there coz there ain't no smileys. :greengrin

I am, the futures bright the futures gree........................:wink:

Joe Baker II
23-01-2012, 03:30 PM

Totally agree, classic example of where a bit of backbone is missing. And why does it have to be same weekend as CL final anyway, can always change date in pretty unlikely event Scottish club makes it?

Also Scottish Cup round 3/4 (with 32 teams) was late January (often after pay day significantly) until an unnecessary change following SPL pressure in late 1990s - there is no tradition that this round is early January as someone stated. Moving to December is a backward step, if clubs in cup for longer tends to result in higher crowds for league fixtures later in season as still interest etc.

Barney McGrew
23-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Also states that the 4th round will now move from early January to early December.

Have to admit, I am a bit of a traditionalist and like the fact that the cup 4th round is played early January.

I can undertstand it comes at a time when people are skint and this may have affected attendances but at the same time, there are many other things going on in December that may mean fans miss cup games if they are played then.

Also, don't really think it will boost attendances from a financial point of view as many people are having to pay out for other things pre Xmas so a cup game may not be a priority.

Yet another baffling decision by Scottish footballs administration. Be it SFA or SPL they don't half make some strange ones.

Goes without saying, I'd take the games being played any time if it meant we ever won it though!

Having the fourth round in December leaves it open for them to re-introduce a winter break in early January again if they wanted to.

Geo_1875
23-01-2012, 05:48 PM
**** EUFA. **** the SFA. **** FIFA. **** the SPL. They'he ****ed football.

Hibernia Na Eir
23-01-2012, 06:10 PM
no interest in that cup these days......

Eyrie
23-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Scottish football has as much to do with the Champions League as it does with synchronised swimming, so I don't see the need to move. But UEFA want "their day" all to themselves and their sponsors.

One Day Soon
23-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Do we know which specific Sunday? I'd like to book the holiday cottage now.

Carheenlea
23-01-2012, 08:13 PM
The Scottish Cup is the oldest trophy in football. We should be able to play the final on it`s traditional Saturday date without interference from anyone. If UEFA don`t like it, well, F them.

Bristolhibby
23-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Mental long shot, but what would happen of Hibs say were in the Champions League final and the Scottish Cup final?

J

spike220
23-01-2012, 08:23 PM
When is the Champions League Final (just in case) :greengrin

I'd hate to miss any of our matches.

GGTTH

Eyrie
23-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Mental long shot, but what would happen of Hibs say were in the Champions League final and the Scottish Cup final?

J

Already been answered :greengrin

Sir David Gray
23-01-2012, 08:43 PM

J

As someone else has already said, Scottish football's got about as much relevance to the Champions League (and the final in particular) as synchronised swimming.

If we ever happen to be in the position where we're going for the Champions League final and the Scottish Cup final in the one season, I'm sure it would be possible to move the Scottish Cup final back a week.

But until that day comes and Hell freezes over, I really don't see why they can't both be played on the same day.

beensaidbefore
24-01-2012, 07:20 PM
I think the vast majority of people really dont care if the final is played on a Saturday or Sunday. Sunday football is so common in the modern game that is not gonna make a blind bit of difference, especially to us Hibbies.

Some folk appear to be outraged by the decision, but its really not that big a deal, its only one game in the season.