PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Target: Jim Goodwin (Signs extension with St Mirren)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Wellbankhibby
23-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Think he might be a good signing for us but after listning to him on sportsound I have my doubts that he will be joining us. when asked about St Mirren he said he was very happy with them and his first commitment is to them. IMO not a statement you would make if he was joining us. Like other signing targets I will wait and see what happens. Since PF took over from CC I have always thought we would get away from the bottom of the league and we would finish around seventh but what a setbank against the perth saints and Dunfermline putting killie to the sword. A real scrap to the end I fear. :rolleyes:

easty
23-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Think he might be a good signing for us but after listning to him on sportsound I have my doubts that he will be joining us. when asked about St Mirren he said he was very happy with them and his first commitment is to them. IMO not a statement you would make if he was joining us. Like other signing targets I will wait and see what happens. Since PF took over from CC I have always thought we would get away from the bottom of the league and we would finish around seventh but what a setbank against the perth saints and Dunfermline putting killie to the sword. A real scrap to the end I fear. :rolleyes:

Until a deal is finalised I wouldnt expect him to say anything different.

Andy74
23-01-2012, 11:16 AM

Lennon since confirmed Hibs to talk to him and that goalposts have been moved on the deal that Goodwin wanted as a result. I'm not sure we will get him this window, and i'm also not sure we will be alone in our interest, but I think St Mirren might be out of it now for next year.

shagpile
23-01-2012, 11:21 AM

The guy gave a pretty decent reply. He is a St Mirren player & as so will say the right things about his club. Why would he bad mouth them?
If Goodwin does sign for Hibs, it seems like the whole deal will have been done in the proper manner with no muck throwing.
How it should be.
If he stays a St Mirren player then fair play to Goodwin & St Mirren Football club. They have made him an offer on a new contract & he signed itbecause he is happy.

Hibs move on to someone else.

ALF TUPPER
23-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Danny Lennon said in yesterday paper that he was speaking to Hibs this week and he couldnt do anything about it.

This week should be very interesting down Easter Rd way

Dashing Bob S
23-01-2012, 11:42 AM
He must be some player as he has two active threads running. A first for a transfer target?

BEEJ
23-01-2012, 11:59 AM
If he stays a St Mirren player then fair play to Goodwin & St Mirren Football club. They have made him an offer on a new contract & he signed itbecause he is happy.

Hibs move on to someone else.
Tonge, for example?

H18sry
23-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Goodwin rumoured to have signed.. came straight from a HTC source :wink:

Andy74
23-01-2012, 12:11 PM

Crap phones anyway.

Petrie's Tache
23-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Phone?

JimBHibees
23-01-2012, 12:15 PM

A precontract or signed now.

Andy74
23-01-2012, 12:17 PM
A precontract or signed now.

18 month contract.

1000 free texts and unlimited data.

JimBHibees
23-01-2012, 12:29 PM
18 month contract.

Not long enough to be of any use to the club. :greengrin

SMAXXA
23-01-2012, 12:37 PM
18 month contract.

Free internet access so he can come on and see what .netters are slagging him about in a months time? :greengrin

Mac
23-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Am i the only one who sees Goodwin as one of the worst players i have ever seen in the SPL, yep worst, and Martin Scott is by far the better option if it was a choice between them both!!!

I have went back and found numerous games where he is lost and the game passes him by, he is like a slow Jarko Wiss with attitude, im sorry if this is what is getting fans genuinely excited then youve all chucked it!!!

Also please dont liken him to Matty Jack, Goodwin couldnt lace his boots.

easty
23-01-2012, 12:46 PM
he is like a slow Jarko Wiss with attitude.

Are you saying he can take a quality corner?

Andy74
23-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Am i the only one who sees Goodwin as one of the worst players i have ever seen in the SPL, yep worst, and Martin Scott is by far the better option if it was a choice between them both!!!

I have went back and found numerous games where he is lost and the game passes him by, he is like a slow Jarko Wiss with attitude, im sorry if this is what is getting fans genuinely excited then youve all chucked it!!!

Why then doesn't Martin Scott get a game for a poor SPL team whilst Goodwin is captain of one? Scott was even on the bench for Ross County when we signed him.

Good work going back and watching all the St Mirren games though to come up with that.

Mac
23-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Are you saying he can take a quality corner?

nah he kicks the corner flag with ferocity!!! ;)

Hibernia Na Eir
23-01-2012, 12:53 PM
isnt that what they all say!

Money ALWAYS talks.

blackpoolhibs
I cant say i have seen a lot of Goodwin, apart from when we play St Mirren i hardly watch any other SPL games.

What i will say though, is he's looked head and shoulders above our lot when we have played them, doesn't make him the new Roy keane, but he's looked better than what we have imo.

Golden Bear

Probably, but only you will know the answer to your own question.

Mac
23-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Why then doesn't Martin Scott get a game for a poor SPL team whilst Goodwin is captain of one? Scott was even on the bench for Ross County when we signed him.

Good work going back and watching all the St Mirren games though to come up with that.

I guess in your vocabulary 'numerous' means 'all'

Didnt realise being given the captaincy was down to someones ability!!!

This is 10 steps back the way signing absolute keek like Goodwin.

Speedway
23-01-2012, 01:01 PM
I guess in your vocabulary 'numerous' means 'all'

Didnt realise being given the captaincy was down to someones ability!!!

This is 10 steps back the way signing absolute keek like Goodwin.

Because quality players are demanding we sign them.

PeterboroHibee
23-01-2012, 01:04 PM

Pretty standard response from him tbh, St.Mirren are his team at the moment and Id expect him to say hes commited to them as things stand. He has also said however that he is flattered by Hibs interest and will have to consider the offer. He might sign, he might not, but dont think theres anything thats suggested which way hes going (or whether we are the only other interested club).

wick hibby
23-01-2012, 01:08 PM
I here he is not coming

Hibby 2005
23-01-2012, 01:28 PM
I here he is not coming

I hear he is the second coming, McPake being the first :greengrin

shagpile
23-01-2012, 06:53 PM
I here he is not coming

Some hearing you have if you heard it in Wick!:not worth

scoopyboy
23-01-2012, 07:17 PM
My take on it is he must be thinking about it.

SM have offered him what he asked for (on Friday) and he still hasn't signed for them.

SouthMoroccoStu
23-01-2012, 08:26 PM
This one is turning into a bit of a saga ain't it!?!

zlatan
23-01-2012, 10:39 PM

The few St Mirren fans I know have slagged him for months now, they think he's absolutely rotten. I think this place is excited because he bullied Palsson a few times and scored a good goal a few weeks ago.

c31
23-01-2012, 10:44 PM
The few St Mirren fans I know have slagged him for months now, they think he's absolutely rotten. I think this place is excited because he bullied Palsson a few times and scored a good goal a few weeks ago.

The buddies I work beside are ****ting their self that he leaves cause they think he is their team and with out him they will fall like a stone

brydekirk
24-01-2012, 05:41 AM
The buddies I work beside are ****ting their self that he leaves cause they think he is their team and with out him they will fall like a stone

Heard the same thimg, some of them really r worried.

MB62
24-01-2012, 07:23 AM

Heard the same thimg, some of them really r worried.

Football fans with differing opinions on a player! who would have guessed?

bruno
24-01-2012, 07:42 AM
Football fans with differing opinions on a player! who would have guessed?

I like him I think he has a lot to offer any team and far from being just a destructive midfielder he can pick a pass.

He would be ideal captain material he is experienced and a strong character. Any time he has come across in the media he has sounded intelligent and composed which again could be an asset as a captian.

All in all I think he would be an excellent signing............

Therefore obviously I hope he stays with St Mirren...... but he may wish to head back south where undoubtedly he can pick up more money. Depends where his ambitions lay or if home life is settled or if he looking for once last payday

Viva_Palmeiras
24-01-2012, 07:49 AM
I like him I think he has a lot to offer any team and far from being just a destructive midfielder he can pick a pass.

He would be ideal captain material he is experienced and a strong character. Any time he has come across in the media he has sounded intelligent and composed which again could be an asset as a captian.

All in all I think he would be an excellent signThe guttering needed parts ordered last time Has that been done?ing............

Therefore obviously I hope he stays with St Mirren...... but he may wish to head back south where undoubtedly he can pick up more money. Depends where his ambitions lay or if home life is settled or if he looking for once last payday

Is he not saints captain? Thinks he mentioned so on the weekend. Imagine a captain treating the club with respect in relation to a potential move. That's what should be hibs class.

Davy Mac
24-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Can I ask, who the hell is Jim Goodwin?

Honestly, what on earth have we come to that we are to sign a St Mirren captain called Jim friggin Goodwin.

I ken I've not been at the games much this season but he sounds more like an antique dealer in Queensferry Street.

Friggin Jim Goodwin - jeezo.

Ssssh - is he any good?

Aldo
24-01-2012, 07:46 PM
I like Goodwin. He looked and looks very good in the SM team and stands out along with McGowan.

I will say that I personally think he's the sort of player our MF need. No none sense type player that can tackle/organise and is a leader.

He will sign I can feel it in ma bones. (ma auld ones).

The_Todd
24-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Decent website too: http://www.jimgoodwinphotography.com/

Based on that alone, Rod Petrie should leave the salary section of the contract blank and allow Mr Goodwin to write down any number he wants. ANY number.

Scònaldò
24-01-2012, 07:52 PM
He can't be as bad as the last player we signed from st mirren can he?

I'm_cabbaged
24-01-2012, 08:11 PM

If you're referring to DVZ , I wouldn't mind having in the team right now.

Aldo
24-01-2012, 08:13 PM

Forgot bout him.. I thought he was meaning Brian Hamilton??

Niffy
24-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Brian Hamilton redeemed all his ***** displays by signing for Hearts.

Aldo
24-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Brian Hamilton redeemed all his ***** displays by signing for Hearts.

True

I'm_cabbaged
24-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Forgot bout him.. I thought he was meaning Brian Hamilton??
Could do with him and Barry L as well ;)

Scònaldò
24-01-2012, 08:24 PM

It's comments like that when you know your in the ***** :D

Aldo
24-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Could do with him and Barry L as well ;)

God forgot bout him tae!!

greenginger
24-01-2012, 08:34 PM
God forgot bout him tae!!

Bobby Torrence anyone ? :duck:

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Neil Cooper. Would walk right in.

I'm_cabbaged
24-01-2012, 08:59 PM
It's comments like that when you know your in the ***** :D

Aye? Cannae mind the last time we had a RB when the supposed two best wingers in the league ie Driver and Mcgeady had to change wings ;)

Springbank
24-01-2012, 09:02 PM

As long as we never get another Alex Miller from them.

I have invoiced that defensive-minded man for 10 years of my life.

malcky
24-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Neil Cooper. Would walk right in.

What about Mark Fulton was he not a buddy?

oneone73
24-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Iain Munro too, IIRC. Cracking player.

monktonharp
24-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Iain Munro too, IIRC. Cracking player.now that was a player Drew:aok:

scoopyboy
24-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Jim Blair

fatbloke
24-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Ally MacLeod - canny mind if he came straight from St Mirren. Southampton comes to mind.

Speedway
25-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Goodwin met Paddy this morning. Subject was pre-contract rather than immediate move.

HIBERNIAN-0762
25-01-2012, 12:42 PM
What about Mark Fulton was he not a buddy?

Aye he was, now a polisman I believe

HIBERNIAN-0762
25-01-2012, 12:43 PM
now that was a player Drew:aok:

Great player but another gem sold to the huns

HIBERNIAN-0762
25-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Jim Blair

Whit a waste o money he wiz!!!

:rolleyes:

Hibby Mike
25-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Goodwin met Paddy this morning. Subject was pre-contract rather than immediate move.

Evening Times reporting likewise....

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/mobile/sport/d-day-for-goody-on-deal-talks-with-hibs-1.1145134

A few St. Mirren fans commenting on twitter that the sellick are sniffing around him now too....more likely agent talk or total Jarkko Wiss...

JimBHibees
25-01-2012, 12:50 PM

Thats a shame was hoping we could get him now rather than next season. If next season would imagine he would be a little wary about our league position though no doubt something could be written into the agreement. This could all change though if for example he signs a pre-con and then Saints want to replace him now and are happy for him to move on this window.

Ray_
25-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Ally MacLeod - canny mind if he came straight from St Mirren. Southampton comes to mind.

25K from Southampton, he had gone from ST Mirren to Southampton, the year prior to him coming to Hibs.

KanyeWestLower
25-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Just seen on twitter, hibs have put a Friday deadline on there 85k offer for Goodwin

Hibby Mike
25-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Hibs want a final decision by Friday on their £85,000 offer for Jim Goodwin from St Mirren....doing the rounds on twitter.

Nelly070
25-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Just seen on twitter, hibs have put a Friday deadline on there 85k offer for Goodwin

Does that mean he has decided he wants to come to us then ? and so we wait on St Midden accepting or rejecting the offer ??

Golden Bear
25-01-2012, 02:37 PM

Jeez we're pushing the boat out if we've offered £85k for a player who will be out of contract in the Summer. If that proves to be true then the Board can hardly be accused of penny pinching.

But there again the cost of relegation would be far greater I dare say.

JimBHibees
25-01-2012, 02:39 PM

If true nothing like keeping any business in house. Would imagine from Paisley end.

Craig_in_Prague
25-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Jeez we're pushing the boat out if we've offered £85k for a player who will be out of contract in the Summer. If that proves to be true then the Board can hardly be accused of penny pinching.

But there again the cost of relegation would be far greater I dare say.

I don't think the board penny pinch at all, in fact, it's a bit tiresome hearing it.
the board does back the manager... (O'Brien, Makalamby, Palsson, Scott, etc), we don't go making big payments for signings, but there's usually nominal fees, signing on fee's, and all sorts I'd imagine to get a player.

Anyway, I bet Petrie is sweating and holding tightly to this cheque :greengrin

PatHead
25-01-2012, 02:57 PM
I don't think the board penny pinch at all, in fact, it's a bit tiresome hearing it.
the board does back the manager... (O'Brien, Makalamby, Palsson, Scott, etc), we don't go making big payments for signings, but there's usually nominal fees, signing on fee's, and all sorts I'd imagine to get a player.

In addition don't forget the fees for our many managers and all the pay offs they make when we find out they are duds!

JimBHibees
25-01-2012, 03:05 PM

Completely agree it isnt any penny pinching it has been the waste of money on poor players and managers.

mon the cabbage
25-01-2012, 03:42 PM
We could have got imrie for 35k. Id rather have him

CallumLaidlaw
25-01-2012, 03:45 PM

Completely different type of player. And a leader is something we really need at present

Hibbyradge
25-01-2012, 03:46 PM

:brickwall

ancient hibee
25-01-2012, 03:48 PM
We can't be offering £85K because we know for a FACT (that's a FACT)that the board will not pay a fee for anyone as it is their secret wish to see the club relegated.

Wilson
25-01-2012, 03:48 PM

You're joking right? We'd be better with Celia Imrie.

ancient hibee
25-01-2012, 03:49 PM
You're joking right? We'd be better with Celia Imrie.

I'd rather have Julie Walters.

Wilson
25-01-2012, 03:51 PM
I'd rather have Julie Walters.

Don't try and start another Calendar (girls) thread!! :na na:

mon the cabbage
25-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Completely different type of player. And a leader is something we really need at present

We do but we also need a winger.

Kato
25-01-2012, 03:54 PM

But you're not the manager!!

Andy74
25-01-2012, 03:54 PM

Nah.

Bostonhibby
25-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Great player but another gem sold to the huns

Sold? We should be so lucky, didn't we get Graeme Fyfe and the legendary Striker Ally Scott - the blonde Max Wall - in exchange, sure we did - hopeless the two of them, however we came to get them.

brog
25-01-2012, 05:40 PM

IMO there is no way we've made such an offer, if we had then Saints would have bitten our hand off. They've just paid about £30k to land Imrie, if they recovered that money for a 30 year old who's out of contract in the summer they would be delighted. I doubt Hibs have made any kind of financial offer but if we have ( or do ) I would say £30k tops.

scoopyboy
25-01-2012, 05:44 PM
We do but we also need a winger.

Writing off Tom Soares already are we?

down the slope
25-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Just think what we could have offered if we had taken the cash for CC " the man".

GreenPJ
25-01-2012, 06:00 PM
IMO there is no way we've made such an offer, if we had then Saints would have bitten our hand off. They've just paid about £30k to land Imrie, if they recovered that money for a 30 year old who's out of contract in the summer they would be delighted. I doubt Hibs have made any kind of financial offer but if we have ( or do ) I would say £30k tops.

We are trying to sign another SPL club's captain, someone who they wanted to keep. RP may be tight but knows that St Mirren would be under pressure from their own fans to keep them or at very least get a decent fee. £85K is a reasonable amount, not over the top and not cheap but also as far as we are going to go.

SteveHFC
25-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Some posters on the St.Mirren forum are saying Goodwin has signed for Hibs.

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/33099-jim-goodwin/page__st__460

SouthMoroccoStu
25-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Some posters on the St.Mirren forum are saying Goodwin has signed for Hibs.

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/33099-jim-goodwin/page__st__460

Good news if true. They seem resigned to losing him.

Hooray for hibs and paddy fenlon

cabbageandribs1875
25-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Evening Times reporting likewise....

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/mobile/sport/d-day-for-goody-on-deal-talks-with-hibs-1.1145134

A few St. Mirren fans commenting on twitter that the sellick are sniffing around him now too....more likely agent talk or total Jarkko Wiss...

sellick already have 275 players, how many more do they need :(

Cropley10
25-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Just think what we could have offered if we had taken the cash for CC " the man".

And still there are people who will claim that Petrie did the right thing.

Still find that selective statement about his 'record' cringeworthy.

J-C
25-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Writing off Tom Soares already are we?

Is he not a attacking midfielder, think the lad Rhys Murphy is a winger.

Craig_in_Prague
25-01-2012, 09:09 PM
c'mon Goodwin, stop dilly dallying and sign the **** papers so Petrie can be put out his misery and hand over the cheque,

who cares if your captain for a team above us in the league.........come join the Hibees and the start of better times.....Stupid poxy wee black and white lego stadium... when have St mirren ever had folks locked outside of Hampden (Haddows maybe)....... Straight into the squad on Saturday - you know you want to :aok:

SMAXXA
25-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Is he not a attacking midfielder, think the lad Rhys Murphy is a winger.

He is an AM but Murphy is a striker

sundo1875
25-01-2012, 09:22 PM
This is exactly what we need right now a midfielder who bosses the midfield

Does anyone know if he is cuptied?

HibbyAndy
25-01-2012, 09:26 PM
This is exactly what we need right now a midfielder who bosses the midfield

Does anyone know if he is cuptied?

He isn't.

sundo1875
25-01-2012, 09:27 PM
He isn't.

Even better :D

IWasThere2016
26-01-2012, 06:05 AM

You'll be in a very small minority mtc.

Www1875hfc
26-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Turned Hibs down and signed a new 2 year deal to stay with St.Mirren

stokesmessiah
26-01-2012, 11:04 AM

Owch.

Did notice on twitter that Hibs have a press conference scheduled for this afternoon, does anyone know if this is true?

CallumLaidlaw
26-01-2012, 11:04 AM
That'll be that. 2yr extension with St Mirren

calmacuk
26-01-2012, 11:05 AM

http://www.saintmirren.net/pages/?p=9533

CallumLaidlaw
26-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Owch.

Did notice on twitter that Hibs have a press conference scheduled for this afternoon, does anyone know if this is true?

Yes, we always have a pre-match conference on a Thursday

Andy74
26-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Owch.

Every Thursday is the pre match one I think.

We rarely announce players at conferences anyway. It would be the website.

Captain Trips
26-01-2012, 11:06 AM

Yup, dissapointing that we couldnt tempt him away from St Mirren and I suppose speaks volumes of our standing just now.

stokesmessiah
26-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Every Thursday is the pre match one I think.

We rarely announce players at conferences anyway. It would be the website.

Right enough i wasnt thinking about what day it was.

Pity he would of been a good signing, i think our alarming slump over the last couple of years would be why he wouldnt pick us. Hope St Midden get relegated now though :wink:

Andy74
26-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Ah well. Could be a number of factors and he is obviously happy and settled.

Let's hope in the scheme of things he looks at Hibs and regrets it from a football sense.

Can I be the first to say he is crap anyway? :greengrin

KanyeWestLower
26-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Seen on twitter He's just signed a contract extension with St Mirren

FastEddieFelson
26-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Seen on twitter He's just signed a contract extension with St Mirren

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16743201.stm

Gatecrasher
26-01-2012, 11:23 AM
http://www.saintmirren.net/pages/?p=9533

Thats pretty pish to be honest, we cant even compete with st mirren :rolleyes:

PaulSmith
26-01-2012, 11:30 AM
If it were a financial decision then the Board have to be held accountable, failing to back a manager on what appears to be one of his top (and very realistic) targets is not only a kick in the teeth to him but another one for ourselves.

We can only hope that the 4 loan signings are enough to get us through so it seems, pretty depressing.

The Sea-gull
26-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Its all the Hibs fans fault that he doesn't want to come :wink: If only we supported the team and stopped the negitivity and moaning it would all be fine. :wink:

Just shows how difficult it is becoming for us to attract a certain type of player.

A while back a move to Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen or Dundee United was seen as a step up for players at teams like St Mirren. It does look as though players are certainly not seeing Hibs as a good move just now. Combination of our league form in the last two years, the revolving door in the manager's office and a board who just don't seem willing or able to offer attractive deals

I have felt for a year or two now that the board do not offer good terms to SPL players and that is why they never come here. Seems the strategy is to get players in from England. A strategy that has spectacularly failed thus far.

Spike Mandela
26-01-2012, 11:32 AM
It's easy to dismiss Goodwin's decision, there's plenty more fish in the sea etc etc but it really is a sad indictment of our club's current position and the negotiating skills of our current incumbents.

Goodwin has clearly been one of our main targets but yet again we are left with a few days till window shuts moving down our list to 2nd or 3rd choices or dare I say it bringing it some more trialists. Our misfiring midfield so far only bolstered by a guy who has hardly played in the last couple of years.

Any monkey can get a player in but do people still have any faith in the Hibs board delivering the standard of player we require.

bingo70
26-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Piece of nonsense imo, the state we're in we should be breaking the bank to get our targets, I'm not a board basher in general but this is a joke, once again scraping about the last few days of the transfer market for players noone else wants.

If we wanted goodwin we should have made our move on the 1st Jan, he might still have kb'd us but at least we would have had more than 5 days to find other options, another farcical transfer window from hibs

superfurryhibby
26-01-2012, 11:34 AM
You'll be in a very small minority mtc.

I would have liked to see us sign both! Imrie is a good SPL player and I've always been impressed with him when he's played against Hibs

shagpile
26-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Thats pretty pish to be honest, we cant even compete with st mirren :rolleyes:

Compete with St Mirren on what level? Money? League position? Or it could be length of contract?
Lets face it you don't know & of course assume it is money.
Could be the guy is simply quite happy where he is.Could be Hibs wanting him has given him more power to bargain a better deal with St Mirren.
So don't talk crap We as a club have no divine right to walk in & expect someone to sign for us. We ain't the 'old firm' Thank ****..

Gatecrasher
26-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Compete with St Mirren on what level? Money? League position? Or it could be length of contract?
Could be the guy is simply quite happy where he is.Could be Hibs wanting him has given him more power to bargain a better deal with St Mirren.
So don't talk crap We as a club have no divine right to walk in & expect someone to sign for us. We ain't the 'old firm' Thank ****..

I am not talking crap. We aren't competing with St Mirren on any level at the moment and unless the club get their act together we are in deep ****

Captain Trips
26-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Did we talk with Goodwin?

Andy74
26-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Piece of nonsense imo, the state we're in we should be breaking the bank to get our targets, I'm not a board basher in general but this is a joke, once again scraping about the last few days of the transfer market for players noone else wants.

If we wanted goodwin we should have made our move on the 1st Jan, he might still have kb'd us but at least we would have had more than 5 days to find other options, another farcical transfer window from hibs

Perhaps it's not about money or looking to get to a 'bigger' club for Goodwin?

By all accounts he is very happy, settled and at his stage is quite content to stick with what he knows.

Are you suggesting that we have not got other options on the go as well??

It's disappointing but I don't think there's any need to suggest that what we've done this month is 'farcical' when all you are going on is bits of information. We've had four players in plus the extension of Griffith's loan with the promise of another couple to come.

Let's see how it pans out shall we?

The Sea-gull
26-01-2012, 11:40 AM

Of course we have no divine right to sign a player - we are nowhere near big enough or good enough for that.

Yes assumptions are being made (it may just be that he is settled and happy and the money being offered may be better but not enough to tempt him into moving) but how often are we supposedly been in for a proven SPL player in recent times and lost out. Too often it would seem. Something must be wrong as it can't be a coincidence that players don't come as we have had several managers and they can't all have poor powers of persuasion.

Mikey_1875
26-01-2012, 11:46 AM
I don't think any one can say we 'lost out' to st mirren as it wasn't really a level playing field as he seems to be happy enough playing for them and is already captain there. I'm dissapointed also that we have only made one signing that is not a loan deal but fenlon has said his main aim is to survive this half and these might just be the short term solutions needed. What does worry me though is that there are holes still needing filled in order to acheive that imo and it might be slim pickings as others have suggested in the last week of the window.

IFONLY
26-01-2012, 11:47 AM

Good post apart from the "crap" part.

scoopyboy
26-01-2012, 11:48 AM
If it were a financial decision then the Board have to be held accountable, failing to back a manager on what appears to be one of his top (and very realistic) targets is not only a kick in the teeth to him but another one for ourselves.

We can only hope that the 4 loan signings are enough to get us through so it seems, pretty depressing.

Wee bit of an over reaction PS?

Do you seriously believe because Goodwin has resigned for St. Mirren it means we won't sign anybody else?

FWIW I was wanting Goodwin to sign for us but I respect him for showing loyalty to his club.

I think if he hadn't played for SM and it was a straight choice between us and them he might have opted for us. It could well be the case of better the devil you know.

truehibernian
26-01-2012, 11:49 AM
I am not talking crap. We aren't competing with St Mirren on any level at the moment and unless the club get their act together we are in deep ****

Really ? Fair doo's it's a disappointment and there is no doubt out midfield area requires leadership, someone vocal and some organisation. But to say we don't compete on any level is plain wrong.

The facts are St Mirren have no real debt and are in a position where Goodwin could play off both clubs and know that one or both would match his contract wishes. He was club captain, liked by fans and teammates, and who knows, his family may be settled and don't want the disruption. I think St Mirren are only a few points above us in the SPL and we beat them on their patch last time, losing at ER due to two bad defensive lapses from Boothy and Palsson......in fact, at ER I thought we were unlucky to not beat them.

Dependant on what happens across the road, I really wanted Ian Black......good technique, vocal, bit of bite and a more cohesive midfielder. Goodwin would have been good mind.

We just move on and see......I think PF's latest interview was telling in that clubs in the UK are just starting to see who they will release, who they will pay off and who they are willing to get some game time. So we could make a signing or two beyond the window where there will be a plethera of 'out of contract' players.

Absolutely always hate seeing players and clubs admit to negotiations between clubs anyway.....shows hands, always one club is disappointed, and one gets some 'oneupmanship'. Was very surprised in the first place that we (Hibs) were being as open as we were....saying that, we really weren't because young Danny and Goodwin himself went public. Agents, brinksmanship and just the way it goes.

Still no reason to get alarmed, panic or immediatelt focus the blame on the board. As Pat says....he is sifting through hundreds of CV's etc. Midfield isn't the problem for me......the defence is my immediate concern. Keep goals out, we have goals in the side to win plenty of games.

Twa Cairpets
26-01-2012, 11:49 AM

You are actually.

You, me and no-one else other than Goodwin and presumably Fenlon - that is if the talks ever got to a substantive level - knows the whys and wherefores of whats gone on.

It might be an indictment of where we are, or it might be he likes where he is, likes being captain, likes Danny Lennon, been promised a testimonial whatever.

The assumptions that people make and state as certainty when it is nothing other than opinion is pathetic. There's a dozen posters on this thread and others who have clearly been waiting for this type of news to break before typing with undisguised relish their perverse joy in wallowing in a pit of abuse of the club and everything surrounding it. Im not "backing the board" or being a "happy clapper" or burying my head in the sand - I hate the fact that watching Hibs has been a pretty turgid pastime for the last few years - but I'm finding myself even more intolerant of the ludicrous keech that is continually spouted by the same names on .net day after day, thread after thread.

The concept of supporter is fundamentally lost on far too many. Criticise, sure. Challenge decisions made by the club, absolutely. But do it on the basis of something that might actually have some demonstrable fact behind it rather than immediately take the default position that your opinion is backed by what actually happened in the real world,

Hibs supporters? Aye freakin' right.

Captain Trips
26-01-2012, 11:50 AM
We only lost out if we actually got to talk to the player as if we did then it will suggest he would have moved if all was right for him at club(s) he spoke to if any.

Benny Brazil
26-01-2012, 11:50 AM

So your not slightly concerned that we have lost out to St Johnstone and St Mirren in two players we tried to sign?

Col2
26-01-2012, 11:51 AM
2nd best to St Mirren. Sad, really sad. No doubt it's the fans fault for not maintaining similar crowd levels to recent years. Oh wait St Mirren turnover and crowds half of what we bring in AND they just forked out cash on Imrie. Anyone for Gavin Rae?

Andy74
26-01-2012, 11:52 AM
I don't think any one can say we 'lost out' to st mirren as it wasn't really a level playing field as he seems to be happy enough playing for them and is already captain there. I'm dissapointed also that we have only made one signing that is not a loan deal but fenlon has said his main aim is to survive this half and these might just be the short term solutions needed. What does worry me though is that there are holes still needing filled in order to acheive that imo and it might be slim pickings as others have suggested in the last week of the window.

We will have been working on things though, we aren't just starting to look now whilst everyone else has already been doing their business and picking players up. The suggestion keeps getting made that we just sit about during the window and its nonsense.

If I recall, Doyle was wanted by Aberdeen and Ipswich - something must have gone right there.

McPake was interesting other teams up here too and I've no idea about Soares.

Goodwin would have been the type of player who would have helped us but hey, there are better players than Goodwin out there and its Fenlon's job to go and get them.

I think this time next year we will be in a better position than Goodwin finds himself in football wise.

.Sean.
26-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Fair play to Goodwin, he's the captain there and playing for a good side. It's easy to see why he's decided to stay and although disapointed Hibs didn't get them it's a nice change to see a player show a wee bit loyalty.

A player in the ilk of Goodwin is still a must IMO.

stubru59
26-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Yes, he would have been a good signing for us. But he's the type of player we can pick up elsewhere. He's competent and committed, attributes which, although we don't currently possess, are not exactly thin on the ground.

We reportedly gave him/St Mirren until Friday to make a decision. This would suggest there are other irons in the fire.

Stevie Reid
26-01-2012, 12:00 PM
It's disappointing, but we move on.

Was always gonna be difficult trying to persuade someone to commit their future to us after this season, given there is huge uncertainty with regards to what division we'll be playing in - which is another reason why loans are a good option for us at the moment.

Mikey_1875
We will have been working on things though, we aren't just starting to look now whilst everyone else has already been doing their business and picking players up. The suggestion keeps getting made that we just sit about during the window and its nonsense. .

I don't think anyone on this thread was suggesting that we sit about, it's evident we were working on Goodwin but I think peoples concern is that we didn't get one of our targets and may have too move further down the pecking order of managers first choices and that time is tight. As you say t though there are many better players than Goodwin so hope there are other irons in the fire.

PaulSmith
Wee bit of an over reaction PS?

Do you seriously believe because Goodwin has resigned for St. Mirren it means we won't sign anybody else?

FWIW I was wanting Goodwin to sign for us but I respect him for showing loyalty to his club.

I think if he hadn't played for SM and it was a straight choice between us and them he might have opted for us. It could well be the case of better the devil you know.

I'll tell you at the end of the season but if you're an outsider looking in we've picked up 2 loans who have hardly played in over 12 months who may or may not have the bottle for a relegation fight at the bottom of the SPL.

We might sign someone else or we might lose out on other players. I think we'll bring in 'somebody' but whom that is who knows, but will they be the managers second or third tier of players that he wanted initially?

Loyalty? A player who has been a journeyman and prob not made a great deal out of football would turn down his last big contract just to stay in Paisley through loyalty. I'd wager it was more a case of Hibs not making it worthwhile for him to move than anything else.

Lago
26-01-2012, 12:03 PM
You are actually.

You, me and no-one else other than Goodwin and presumably Fenlon - that is if the talks ever got to a substantive level - knows the whys and wherefores of whats gone on.

It might be an indictment of where we are, or it might be he likes where he is, likes being captain, likes Danny Lennon, been promised a testimonial whatever.

The assumptions that people make and state as certainty when it is nothing other than opinion is pathetic. There's a dozen posters on this thread and others who have clearly been waiting for this type of news to break before typing with undisguised relish their perverse joy in wallowing in a pit of abuse of the club and everything surrounding it. Im not "backing the board" or being a "happy clapper" or burying my head in the sand - I hate the fact that watching Hibs has been a pretty turgid pastime for the last few years - but I'm finding myself even more intolerant of the ludicrous keech that is continually spouted by the same names on .net day after day, thread after thread.

The concept of supporter is fundamentally lost on far too many. Criticise, sure. Challenge decisions made by the club, absolutely. But do it on the basis of something that might actually have some demonstrable fact behind it rather than immediately take the default position that your opinion is backed by what actually happened in the real world,

Great post!!

Gatecrasher
26-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Really ? Fair doo's it's a disappointment and there is no doubt out midfield area requires leadership, someone vocal and some organisation. But to say we don't compete on any level is plain wrong.

The facts are St Mirren have no real debt and are in a position where Goodwin could play off both clubs and know that one or both would match his contract wishes. He was club captain, liked by fans and teammates, and who knows, his family may be settled and don't want the disruption. I think St Mirren are only a few points above us in the SPL and we beat them on their patch last time, losing at ER due to two bad defensive lapses from Boothy and Palsson......in fact, at ER I thought we were unlucky to not beat them.

Dependant on what happens across the road, I really wanted Ian Black......good technique, vocal, bit of bite and a more cohesive midfielder. Goodwin would have been good mind.

We just move on and see......I think PF's latest interview was telling in that clubs in the UK are just starting to see who they will release, who they will pay off and who they are willing to get some game time. So we could make a signing or two beyond the window where there will be a plethera of 'out of contract' players.

Absolutely always hate seeing players and clubs admit to negotiations between clubs anyway.....shows hands, always one club is disappointed, and one gets some 'oneupmanship'. Was very surprised in the first place that we (Hibs) were being as open as we were....saying that, we really weren't because young Danny and Goodwin himself went public. Agents, brinksmanship and just the way it goes.

Still no reason to get alarmed, panic or immediatelt focus the blame on the board. As Pat says....he is sifting through hundreds of CV's etc. Midfield isn't the problem for me......the defence is my immediate concern. Keep goals out, we have goals in the side to win plenty of games.

You are actually.

The assumptions that people make and state as certainty when it is nothing other than opinion is pathetic. There's a dozen posters on this thread and others who have clearly been waiting for this type of news to breal before typing with undisguised relish their perverse joy in wallowing in a pit of abuse of the club and everything surrounding it. Im not "backing the board" or being a "happy clapper" or burying my head in the sand - I hate the fact that watching Hibs has been a pretty turgid pastime for the last few years - but I'm finding myself even more intolerant of the ludicrous keech that is continually spouted by the same names on .net day after day, thread after thread.

On what level are we competing with St. Mirren then? Not financially as they have next to no debt and would have more freedom in their budget due to this. On the pitch? nope, look at the league table.

yes financial reasons might not be the reason behind Goodwins decision to stay at the buddies but we seem to be going through the same process year after year of missing out on targets and settling for lesser players. Why can so called lesser teams compete with us with a smaller budget yet we end up with players way out of their depth. Bad Management and poor investment, thats why. Im normally a pretty relaxed person when it comes to Hibs, i can usually put things into prespective but im really starting to get pissed off with all this pish we have had to put up with the last few years. I can see the improvement made by Fenlon but that will only be limited without proper backing financially.

Captain Trips
26-01-2012, 12:05 PM
I feel that he would have been able to slot in right away and get on with things with hopefully litlte fuss, yet the 2 guys we have signed seem to be greeted with it being good and Goodwin not signing nothing to worry about. I would say Goodwin was far more of what was needed than what we have in terms of everything really.

Mikey
26-01-2012, 12:08 PM
.......and Goodwin not signing nothing to worry about.

Really? You should try reading hibs.net :greengrin

Lago
26-01-2012, 12:08 PM
I'll tell you at the end of the season but if you're an outsider looking in we've picked up 2 loans who have hardly played in over 12 months who may or may not have the bottle for a relegation fight at the bottom of the SPL.

We might sign someone else or we might lose out on other players. I think we'll bring in 'somebody' but whom that is who knows, but will they be the managers second or third tier of players that he wanted initially?

Loyalty? A player who has been a journeyman and prob not made a great deal out of football would turn down his last big contract just to stay in Paisley through loyalty. I'd wager it was more a case of Hibs not making it worthwhile for him to move than anything else.

Like many on hereyou make assumptions without real foundation purely to support your arguement.

Twa Cairpets
26-01-2012, 12:09 PM
On what level are we competing with St. Mirren then? Not financially as they have next to no debt and would have more freedom in their budget due to this. On the pitch? nope, look at the league table.

yes financial reasons might not be the reason behind Goodwins decision to stay at the buddies but we seem to be going through the same process year after year of missing out on targets and settling for lesser players. Why can so called lesser teams compete with us with a smaller budget yet we end up with players way out of their depth. Bad Management and poor investment, thats why. Im normally a pretty relaxed person when it comes to Hibs, i can usually put things into prespective but im really starting to get pissed off with all this pish we have had to put up with the last few years. I can see the improvement made by Fenlon but that will only be limited without proper backing financially.

Assumption. You're assuming that a bid was made, and rejected. You're assuming that the player decided to talk. You're assuming that the player decided not leave because Fenlon wasnt backed in this instance. You don tknow what happened. You dont know, as far as I'm aware, other than one throwaway comment from Danny Lennon that there was discussion between the clubs. The main driver of this thought, which has become an article of faith, that Goodwin was "Fenlons number one target" has promoted primarily on this thread.

Mikey
26-01-2012, 12:09 PM
No doubt it's the fans fault............

Is this the new stick to beat Petrie with? Even although he didn't say it!

Andy74
26-01-2012, 12:11 PM

Maybe we weren't willing to match St Mirren as it was going to be more than he is worth?

We've no idea what order in the list Goowdin was. He may have just been a decent option if we could grab him but not one to pay over the odds for.

We only found out about this as St Mirren made it public - I'm sure there are other deals going on that we know nothing about yet, and those could be for the top choices?

It's all just speculation after all.

I'll admit, I am disappointed in this, would have liked him in there but having read the bit about Soares today, 6ft 2 and aggressive, he might be even better? We might have even better lined up, if not this window then in the summer?

Aldo
26-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Look he has done what anyone of us would of done..... A club show an interest and his current employers don't want to lose him. He says he wants to speak with us.. In turn they up his wages and heat presto thanks where do I sign. Nowt wrong with that IMHO.

Sure PF has got others on his radar. Shame cos I thought JG would of been excellent for us.

Time to move on me thinks

Captain Trips
26-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Is this the new stick to beat Petrie with? Even although he didn't say it!

Every result since seasons start, every loan we have had to now bring in and waste fees on rather than rebuild until next season are all the sticks to beat him with after his bad decision making in summer.

Hibbyradge
Good. Not Hibs class.

If EPL fringe players aren't good enough for some folk, we should be steering well clear of 30 year old St Mirren players.

bingo70
Perhaps it's not about money or looking to get to a 'bigger' club for Goodwin?

By all accounts he is very happy, settled and at his stage is quite content to stick with what he knows.

Are you suggesting that we have not got other options on the go as well??

It's disappointing but I don't think there's any need to suggest that what we've done this month is 'farcical' when all you are going on is bits of information. We've had four players in plus the extension of Griffith's loan with the promise of another couple to come.

Let's see how it pans out shall we?

I think for a player at 30 years old and negotiating his last big contract it's safe to assume finance is going to be a key factor, of course there will be other factors but considering he could still live where he's staying now if we had blown St Mirrens offer out the water he would have joined us, if he wouldn't then he wouldn't have even opened talks with us, however if we offered more or less the same as St Mirren then of course he will stay where he is.

I think it is farcical because deals like this should have been negotiated weeks ago, but they weren't, we wait until the last few days before the window closes so what we're going to be left with now is trialists that nobody else wants that i'd wager Fenlon isn't certain about but has no choice but to take a gamble or be left with what he's got now and knows isn't good enough, that certainly appears to be the case with the last transfer windows when we've ended up signing up rakes of pish.

We don't sign players other clubs want so any player we get now would have been available on the 1st Jan and thats what pisses me off.

Ray_
26-01-2012, 12:14 PM
You are actually.

After three years there, which is what it'll be at the end of his new extension, that'll certainly be a new trend! :greengrin My assumption is that Hibs are not as much of a draw with our completed stadium & training centre as our CE thought we would be!

Gatecrasher
26-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Assumption. You're assuming that a bid was made, and rejected. You're assuming that the player decided to talk. You're assuming that the player decided not leave because Fenlon wasnt backed in this instance. You don tknow what happened. You dont know, as far as I'm aware, other than one throwaway comment from Danny Lennon that there was discussion between the clubs. The main driver of this thought, which has become an article of faith, that Goodwin was "Fenlons number one target" has promoted primarily on this thread.
So are we to assume that every player we miss out on we either didn't want or didn't speak to? People can only draw conclusions on what they know, what we do know that Hibs were interested in Goodwin and we didnt get him

KeithTheHibby
26-01-2012, 12:18 PM
It is a sorry state of affairs when we cannot tempt a player away from St Mirren.

AJWisme
Personally I'm quite glad. I don't rate him anywhere near some of you lot. Not to say he's not a decent player but I reckon he'll very soon be on the decline anyway.
However, I think some people need to understand that sometimes players don't always go for the money. There's a strong chance he's very settled where he is, captain of a team where he's a fans favourite from what I understand.
So we lose out on a target, that's football. Let's move on to the next! :flag:

Captain Trips
Good. Not Hibs class.

If EPL fringe players aren't good enough for some folk, we should be steering well clear of 30 year old St Mirren players.

Epl fringe players? you mean Soares? fringes of the fringes at best, so do you think both the new guys are of the standard?

Hibbyradge
26-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Epl fringe players? you mean Soares? fringes of the fringes at best, so do you think both the new guys are of the standard?

No. I've never seen them play so I think they're both *****e.

Obviously.

Aldo
26-01-2012, 12:20 PM
I think for a player at 30 years old and negotiating his last big contract it's safe to assume finance is going to be a key factor, of course there will be other factors but considering he could still live where he's staying now if we had blown St Mirrens offer out the water he would have joined us, if he wouldn't then he wouldn't have even opened talks with us, however if we offered more or less the same as St Mirren then of course he will stay where he is.

I think it is farcical because deals like this should have been negotiated weeks ago, but they weren't, we wait until the last few days before the window closes so what we're going to be left with now is trialists that nobody else wants that i'd wager Fenlon isn't certain about but has no choice but to take a gamble or be left with what he's got now and knows isn't good enough, that certainly appears to be the case with the last transfer windows when we've ended up signing up rakes of pish.

We don't sign players other clubs want so any player we get now would have been available on the 1st Jan and thats what pisses me off.

Spot on. What concerns me though is that only 2 Soares and McPake have been brought with other deals being worked at. The end if the window is not far away... Tues I believe and at the moment PF must be thinking there are not enough hours in the day.

I still think we need another defender, MF and a CF. can't see us getting all of that but fingers crossed for something before Tuesday.

11th is a must at all costs IMHO.

SteveHFC
26-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Petrie can **** off. It's embarssing we are losing out to a player to St ****ing Mirren. 6 days until the window shuts and we need another defender, midfielder and striker. If we don't get any of these targets in. We are ******!

Andy74
26-01-2012, 12:26 PM

I think you are just making some assumptions to piss yourself off!

Steve20
26-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Hardly surprising. St Mirren will be playing in the SPL next season. There is a chance that we won't be.

Andy74
Spot on. What concerns me though is that only 2 Soares and McPake have been brought with other deals being worked at. The end if the window is not far away... Tues I believe and at the moment PF must be thinking there are not enough hours in the day.

I still think we need another defender, MF and a CF. can't see us getting all of that but fingers crossed for something before Tuesday.

11th is a must at all costs IMHO.

Four so far plus Griffiths.

bingo70
Petrie can **** off. It's embarssing we are losing out to a player to St ****ing Mirren. 6 days until the window shuts and we need another defender, midfielder and striker. If we don't get any of these targets in. We are ******!

Even if we do get them i'll still be annoyed as once again we're right at the end of the window doing our business, we needed these players at the start of the window.

Mcpake i can understand as coventry had to get in a replacement first but Soares wasn't needed by stoke, why couldnt we get him in at the start of january? the boy from Norwich was sent on loan to get experience, why couldn't we have got him at the start of january? Unless we break the habit of the last few windows and actually sign someone good that other clubs want i'll wager i'm asking the same questions about any signings we make between now and tuesday. Recent history tells us that the reason we can get players this late in the window is because they're ***** and no-one else wants them, with the possible exception of Ozzie.

What we did with Doyle is exactly what we should be doing with our january transfer activity

IFONLY
26-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Just like to ask why people are so up in arms about not signing Goodwin, he is not that good in my opinion and I believe that there are better players out there. The way some people are talking you would think that Goodwin was an outstanding player. He may in some peoples minds be better than we have at the moment, but for god sake get real, he is an ordinary player. I think that some people have been swept along with our interest in this man, I believe that we will get someone better soon.Dont know who though but I am sure that our manager has someone in mind.

Andy74
26-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Even if we do get them i'll still be annoyed as once again we're right at the end of the window doing our business, we needed these players at the start of the window.

Mcpake i can understand as coventry had to get in a replacement first but Soares wasn't needed by stoke, why couldnt we get him in at the start of january? the boy from Norwich was sent on loan to get experience, why couldn't we have got him at the start of january? Unless we break the habit of the last few windows and actually sign someone good that other clubs want i'll wager i'm asking the same questions about any signings we make between now and tuesday. Recent history tells us that the reason we can get players this late in the window is because they're ***** and no-one else wants them, with the possible exception of Ozzie.

What we did with Doyle is exactly what we should be doing with our january transfer activity

Ah, if only Hibs didn't exist in the real world eh.

Hibs7
26-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Hardly surprising. St Mirren will be playing in the SPL next season. There is a chance that we won't be.

that is possibly the main reason.

Aldo
26-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Four so far plus Griffiths.

Ok Doyle and Griffiths

Hibbyradge
26-01-2012, 12:32 PM

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3548/dramao.jpg
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/4655/screamf.jpg

bingo70
26-01-2012, 12:33 PM
I think you are just making some assumptions to piss yourself off!

I am in a bit of a humpty mood so you might be right, however i reckon if you think a 30 year old prospective signing wouldnt have been interested in earning more money you're clutching at straws in order to protect the board from getting stick.

Leithenhibby
26-01-2012, 12:33 PM

This window has been slow for everyone, my take on this is that the last few days/hours will be the most hectic time of the month. We shall get there I'm sure of that, as in PF I trust... :wink:

Elephant Stone
26-01-2012, 12:35 PM

Do you know how much Goodwin and his agent were looking for?

Sylar
26-01-2012, 12:36 PM

:tee hee:

FastEddieFelson
26-01-2012, 12:36 PM
quite an overreaction on this thread. there could be hundreds of reasons why he chose st mirren over us. he might just really like paisley.

Aldo
26-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Look he has done what anyone of us would of done..... A club show an interest and his current employers don't want to lose him. He says he wants to speak with us.. In turn they up his wages and heat presto thanks where do I sign. Nowt wrong with that IMHO.

Sure PF has got others on his radar. Shame cos I thought JG would of been excellent for us.

Time to move on me thinks

This IMHO

smurf
26-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Bottom line is we wanted the player but he choose St Mirren ahead of us.

A sign of the times of where we are as a club.

And whoevers fault it is it can't of course be our ownership or leadership.

Hibbyradge
I am in a bit of a humpty mood so you might be right, however i reckon if you think a 30 year old prospective signing wouldnt have been interested in earning more money you're clutching at straws in order to protect the board from getting stick.

How much should we have offered him?

How much did we offer him?

How much did St Mirren want for him?

How much did PF value him at?

How long a contract did he want?

When did he want his contract to start?

If anyone can fill me in on these, I'll be able to make a comment about Hibs efforts to get the player. Until then, I'll accept that the captain of a rival team agreed to be their captain a bit longer rather than sign a pre-contract with Hibs.

SteveHFC

Hilarious!

bingo70
Ah, if only Hibs didn't exist in the real world eh.

I'm certain it's more complicated than i give it credit for, however i can't think of one reason why it took until the 24th january for us to speak to Goodwin, what are the factors i'm not taking into consideration?

Did Fenlon only learn about him mid january? Have we been bumped for all our other targets? Maybe we did speak to him earlier in the month but why did we not put a deadline on the offer?

IMO it appears hibs drag their heels in the january window, we did it last year as well and it pissed me off then as well and it appears we haven't learned our lesson from getting papped out the cup by Ayr last year

down the slope
26-01-2012, 12:42 PM
quite an overreaction on this thread. there could be hundreds of reasons why he chose st mirren over us. he might just really like paisley.

Hundreds of reasons ? aye hundreds of pounds . Skinflint does it again, he was good enough for Fenlon which is fine by me but we are second best to St Midden , you have just seen the future for our club !.

Andy74
26-01-2012, 12:44 PM

I couldnt care if the board get stick, particularly when deserved.

Perhaps Hibs didn't think he was worth more money? We can get another player elsewhere for a better deal perhaps?

Maybe we did offer more money but the guy didn't fancy driving from the other side of Pailsey to East Lothian every day before 10am regardless of the cash?

Perhaps he was told he would be a useful squad player once we got new players in next year and wanted to be playing every week?

There'as a range of things which could be in play and I'm not picking any of them. some, however, tend to leap to the one that suits them being able to have a go at Hibs again though.

On the face of it Soars is a better player. England under 21 caps, once went for over a million, closer to an ELP team even on the fringe of the fringes than Goodwin will ever get. Though hardly a positive word about him signing at all. Sums up the support at times.

bingo70
How much should we have offered him? what it took to get him, it wouldn't have been a huge amount considering St mirren were able to afford it

How much did we offer him? Not enough

How much did St Mirren want for him? irrelevant, if they wanted too much we should have got him on a pre-contract and then put st mirren under pressure

How much did PF value him at? Don't know but enough to try and buy him so he must think he's good and if we've chosen to walk away i assume he must have someone better lined up, if this player is available why weren't we going for him instead of Goodwin

How long a contract did he want? 2 years is what he signed with st mirren, seems reasonable to me

When did he want his contract to start? sorry dont understand

If anyone can fill me in on these, I'll be able to make a comment about Hibs efforts to get the player. Until then, I'll accept that the captain of a rival team agreed to be their captain a bit longer rather than sign a pre-contract with Hibs.

my attempt to answer in bold

Hibbyradge

Maybe no-one's to "blame".

Maybe St Mirren are to "blame".

Maybe St Mirren are paying him more than he's worth?

Maybe St Mirren wantes £120k for him.

Maybe we've got someone else lined up.

Who is to "blame" for the signins of Griffiths, Doyle, Soares and McPake? :dunno:

bingo70
26-01-2012, 12:47 PM

Perhaps Hibs didn't think he was worth more money? We can get another player elsewhere for a better deal perhaps?

Maybe we did offer more money but the guy didn't fancy driving from the other side of Pailsey to East Lothian every day before 10am regardless of the cash?

Perhaps he was told he would be a useful squad player once we got new players in next year and wanted to be playing every week?

There'as a range of things which could be in play and I'm not picking any of them. some, however, tend to leap to the one that suits them being able to have a go at Hibs again though.

On the face of it Soars is a better player. England under 21 caps, once went for over a million, closer to an ELP team even on the fringe of the fringes than Goodwin will ever get. Though hardly a positive word about him signing at all. Sums up the support at times.

If we can get a better player elsewhere why were we bothering with Goodwin?

If it was the travel, why did he speak to us in the first place? we've no moved

Soares does sound good but completely different type of player, he's more of an attacking midfielder/ winger and Goodwin is a defensive midfielder, and funnily enough, thats exactly the type of midfielder we've been needing.

down the slope
26-01-2012, 12:47 PM

Who is to "blame" for the signins of Griffiths, Doyle, Soares and McPake? :dunno:

We could have got three of him for the money we could have got for CC !.

smurf
26-01-2012, 12:49 PM

Ok let's look at the facts as we know them;

1, Fact is Collins, Mixu, Hughes, Calderwood and now Fenlon are all on record as revealing that we've missed out on out preferred targets.
2, Fact is the non preferred targets see us yet again battling against relegation.

You challenging any of the two facts?

Cropley10
26-01-2012, 12:51 PM

Same **** different day.

However I fully expect the Happy Clappers will be telling us that it's a good thing that we've not signed a dominant midfielder who knows this League inside out.

We'd better hope that all these loanees are well up for the fight, or there'll be 3,500 ST holders at ER next season watching Div 1 football.

Spike Mandela
26-01-2012, 12:52 PM

Aye, ye were doing well till the end. :greengrin

Captain Trips
26-01-2012, 12:52 PM

Soares does sound good but completely different type of player, he's more of an attacking midfielder/ winger and Goodwin is a defensive midfielder, and funnily enough, thats exactly the type of midfielder we've been needing.

I cannot see that mate, what is it that makes him sound good? an attacking midfielder whom has been on loan for years and barely played? His 3 (apparent)relegations? his tally of 13 goals?. PF may well see something and does but he does not sound good at all, if he sounds good then Goodwin must sound like Ronaldo. I agree we need a player like Goodwin.

Hibbyradge
26-01-2012, 12:53 PM

I see. Like me, you don't know any of the circumstances, but presumably, if you had been in charge of transfers, he'd be a Hibs player by now.

No matter how much you thought he was worth, you would have paid him anything he wanted.

Somehow, even if he didn't want to sign a pre-contract (maybe to avoid getting grief from St Mirren fans a la Caldwell), you would have made him.

In the highly unlikely event that the player didn't want a pre-contract or that you weren't able to get him to sign one against his will, you would have paid St Mirren what they wanted for him, even though it exceeded your valuation because you wanted him in your team.

That's an, erm, unusual business strategy. :wink:

Can I play you at poker sometime? :greengrin

Andy74

Didn't you want us to be moving on things and not sitting about waiting?

Goodwin could have been one of three or four in that position we've been talking to/about all window, he's just the one you have heard about.

Do you know that if we agreed terms we would have signed him or said thanks, we have othet targets too, we will be in touch?

Do you know that he hasn't signed for St Miren again because Hibs pulled out due to ther first choice becoming available ?

These things are all as likely to be true as the fact he was our one and only target and he has turned us down becasue we couldn't offer him as good a deal as St Mirren.

silverhibee

No were not, but we keep getting told that we have the 4th biggest budget in the SPL, that should be good enough to out bid the likes of St Mirren for there player and pay better wages to him, ffs he is only half an hour drive from the West so he could still be happy there with his family, this will be Goodwins last big contract with a club, it would be all about money at this time in his career for him and his family.

I said maybe 10 days ago that if Goodwin was the managers main target then Scott Lyndsay should do everything possible to get Goodwin in for Fenlon and show the fans that they do back the managers that come to Hibs, thats now Goodwin(St Mirren) Sheridan (St Johnstone) and Rooney (ICT) that we have lost out on now, the managers seem to be identifying players but as soon as it gets moved on to the next bit, RP SL whoever it is that do the deals that it starts to go wrong and we lose out on these players.

Cropley10
26-01-2012, 12:55 PM
We could have got three of him for the money we could have got for CC !.

No, er no - er Petrie did the right thing. Er and in any case no-one actually offered any money for him, er yeah that's it - there was never an offer. Easy to be right in hindsight our un-paid Chairman wanted to show faith in him, I mean after all he went 5 games unbeaten at one stage of the season. It would have been more turmoil if CC had gone in the Summer, no, no well done Rod for hanging on to him, just a shame it didn't work out etc etc.

Think that covers it.:greengrin

[Of course the reality is 99% of us wanted the guy well away, having endured eye-bleeding hoofball and a pasting off just about everyone].

Hibbyradge
26-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Hilarious!

Agreed! :thumbsup:

You're embarrassed cos Goodwin signed an extension at St Mirren?

You need to develop a slightly thicker skin.

The Sea-gull
26-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Just like to ask why people are so up in arms about not signing Goodwin, he is not that good in my opinion and I believe that there are better players out there. The way some people are talking you would think that Goodwin was an outstanding player. He may in some peoples minds be better than we have at the moment, but for god sake get real, he is an ordinary player. I think that some people have been swept along with our interest in this man, I believe that we will get someone better soon.Dont know who though but I am sure that our manager has someone in mind.

Don't think it is so much about Goodwin and more a frustration that we just don't seem to be willing or able to attract players (players who know the league and could do a job for us) from other SPL teams.

The players we are getting from England really aren't cutting it, often IMHO not down to ability but down to attitude, usually coming from reserve football and perhaps the realisation of what has hit them when they get here - they just haven't fancied it. I really hope McPake and Soars buck that trend but do have concerns about the lack of football they have played recently.

Players will talk to players from other clubs and I do wonder if, for whatever reason, SPL players are talking amoungst themselves and avoiding signing for Hibs or just picking up a general bad vibe from the place in recent times.

bingo70
26-01-2012, 12:58 PM
I see. Like me, you don't know any of the circumstances, but presumably, if you had been in charge of transfers, he'd be a Hibs player by mow.

No matter how much you thought he was worth, you would have paid him anything he wanted.

Somehow, even if he didn't want to sign a pre-contract (maybe to avoid getting grief from St Mirren fans a la Caldwell), you would have made him.

In the highly unlikely event that the player didn't want a pre-contract and you weren't able to get him to sign one against his will, you would have paid St Mirren what they wanted for him, even though it exceeded your valuation because you wanted him in your team.

That's an, erm, unusual business strategy. :wink:

Can I play you at poker sometime? :greengrin

Course i don't know all the circumstances, we're all just speculating.

The only fact i know is we wanted this player, we never got him and there's 5 days left in this transfer window with a squad not nearly good enough and we're going to be scrambling about looking for someone who's not likely to be as good as goodwin, or if he is, we should have gone for him in the first place and not relied on him as a back up plan.

Largshibby

I think we'd be absolutely horrified at just how much even a journeyman pro can make out of football especially over the last 10 to 15 years. I guarantee the Alan O'Briens of this world are driving nice cars and living in houses we can only dream of. If Jim Goodwin has been well advised and/or sensible with his cash he probably has some business interests to support him as well as his football playing income so it is not just a straight forward case of our wages matching or being better than what he is on just now. That said I would still expect a club the size of Hibs compared to St M to be able to make the switch worth his while. I'm disappointed. Thought he would have made a significant improvement.

Cropley10

And all with the "4th Biggest Budget in the SPL" tm...

A team with almost zero quality in it unable to attract even quite average players.

Congratulations to the Board of Hibernian - "come and play for us on loan for a couple of months" - FC.

Scouse Hibee
26-01-2012, 12:59 PM
If, what, when,why,what, how much, good, bad, pish,missed out, lucky escape,no loss...........that's the Jim Goodwin saga :faf:

Andy74
26-01-2012, 12:59 PM
I cannot see that mate, what is it that makes him sound good? an attacking midfielder whom has been on loan for years and barely played? His 3 (apparent)relegations? his tally of 13 goals?. PF may well see something and does but he does not sound good at all, if he sounds good then Goodwin must sound like Ronaldo. I agree we need a player like Goodwin.

2006–2011 Aston Villa 19 (0)
2009 → Nottingham Forest (loan) 8 (0)
2009–2010 → Middlesbrough (loan) 9 (0)
2011 → Sheffield Wednesday (loan)

Those are Osbourne's stats by the way and he's been no bad.

From someone who has managed Soares:

Dowie says that while the player’s star has waned since his £1.25 million move to Stoke in 2008, Soares will have not lost much of the talent that earned him four national caps as an England under-21 internationalist.

“It’s all there, still in the locker,” insisted Dowie.

“Tom’s a great young man and is not frightened of a challenge.

“I like him, and I thought he’d be a real player. He played centre midfield and I have to say, from my time at Palace, I thought he’d become an outstanding, top-class player.

“He has wonderful legs, is good in the air, aggressive, and has good pace.”

Soares’ last league appearance for Stoke was in December 2008, with his last competitive game more than a year ago, as a 79th-minute substitute in their extra-time win at Cardiff in the FA Cup.

He has perhaps suffered from Stoke’s burgeoning reputation and increasing ability to attract top name players. Irish internationalist Glenn Whelan, former Arsenal winger Jermaine Pennant, and Matthew Etherington are all ahead of Soares in the midfield pecking order and have thus rendered the 25-year-old a peripheral figure.

“It can happen, but it’s a case of keeping your belief,” said Dowie. “Tom has belief in his natural attributes, but he needs regular football. Hibs can benefit from that – they need to, given the position they’re in.

“It depends how Pat [Fenlon] will play him. For me, he can play anywhere in a midfield four or five. He’s best employed in a midfield two or three, in the middle of the park. Listen, he has great quality, can put crosses in, and has pace and drive. He can defend and is aggressive in the tackle, but he can get forward as well.

“He’s got a great smile and he’s a very good lad, good humour, he’ll not dominate the dressing-room but he’ll get along with everyone.”

A grafting defensive midfielder to partner the impressive Isaiah Osbourne and protect a shaky defence is perhaps exactly what Fenlon requires, but Soares can not afford to show any rustiness at a time in the season where Hibs must show their mettle.

The new arrival, however, must look back at his time with Stoke and ponder: what if? Indeed, the Potters had such faith in Soares that they handed him his Premier League debut immediately after signing him.

He then started the following five matches, in which Stoke gained a credible ten points from a possible 15. The undoing of his first-team chances at the Britannia appears to have been a double-header of defeats, at Blackburn Rovers and Hartlepool. Since then, he has started just a handful of games in cup competitions.

The whirlwind episode in Soares’ career continued elsewhere, and he was farmed out to Charlton Athletic for the second half of the 2008/09 season. He was again loaned out the following campaign after three starts in Stoke’s Carling Cup campaign, this time to Sheffield Wednesday, where he suffered the second relegation of his career as t-he Owls plummeted to League One.

Since demotion 18 months ago, he has played 41 minutes of competitive football, in an FA Cup win at Cardiff in January 2011. Despite the pressure of entering a crucial juncture in his career and having hardly played recently, Soares will grasp the chance Hibs have offered, says Dowie.

“First and foremost, it will be interesting for him to go there. I follow the SPL, and I feel Hibs should be far too good for a relegation battle. For Tom, what will come will come, but he will not be intimidated. He’s 6ft 2in and is not afraid of a scrap.”

bingo70
26-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Didn't you want us to be moving on things and not sitting about waiting?

Goodwin could have been one of three or four in that position we've been talking to/about all window, he's just the one you have heard about.

Do you know that if we agreed terms we would have signed him or said thanks, we have othet targets too, we will be in touch?

Do you know that he hasn't signed for St Miren again because Hibs pulled out due to ther first choice becoming available ?

These things are all as likely to be true as the fact he was our one and only target and he has turned us down becasue we couldn't offer him as good a deal as St Mirren.

I would love you to be right and in theory of course you are correct these all could be factors but based on our last few transfer windows i've no idea where you get your confidence from?

Golden Bear
26-01-2012, 01:02 PM

1, Fact is Collins, Mixu, Hughes, Calderwood and now Fenlon are all on record as revealing that we've missed out on out preferred targets.
2, Fact is the non preferred targets see us yet again battling against relegation.

Missing preferred targets is not an exclusive domain of Hibernian Managers. It happens all the time in the world of football.

Some we win, others we lose but it doesn't disguise the fact that the prospect of playing for Hibs is not nearly as attractive as it once was.

down the slope
26-01-2012, 01:03 PM
So it's come to this after all the millions we made on players that we huvnae got a pot to p... in ! what a shocking indictment of those that are in charge that we are basically outbid by St Mirren , how we have fallen to this level is a disgrace and you can see what the future holds for the club. Folk on here saying that they don't rate him but the fact is the manager did and he has not been backed by the board, what a shambles we are..

matty_f
26-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Same **** different day.

However I fully expect the Happy Clappers will be telling us that it's a good thing that we've not signed a dominant midfielder who knows this League inside out.

We'd better hope that all these loanees are well up for the fight, or there'll be 3,500 ST holders at ER next season watching Div 1 football.

:rolleyes: I don't think there is such a thing as a happy clapper that follows Hibs these days.

Spike Mandela

Come off it. Surely it's only because Soares made one first team appearance last season whilst goodwin played 36 games captaining St Mirren and showing the qualities we need to survive in this league.

Hibbyradge
Course i don't know all the circumstances, we're all just speculating.

The only fact i know is we wanted this player, we never got him and there's 5 days left in this transfer window with a squad not nearly good enough and we're going to be scrambling about looking for someone who's not likely to be as good as goodwin, or if he is, we should have gone for him in the first place and not relied on him as a back up plan.

I think we were interested in him if the price was right.

The price wasn't right, so we moved on.

What's so heinous about that?

The suggestion that we should pay anything a player/club wants is irresponsible and stupid, tbh.

I might be wrong, but I think we've brought more players in than any other SPL club and we don't have unlimited funds.

Captain Trips
26-01-2012, 01:06 PM

Dowie says that while the player’s star has waned since his £1.25 million move to Stoke in 2008, Soares will have not lost much of the talent that earned him four national caps as an England under-21 internationalist.

“I like him, and I thought he’d be a real player. He played centre midfield and I have to say, from my time at Palace, I thought he’d become an outstanding, top-class player.

Soares’ last league appearance for Stoke was in December 2008, with his last competitive game more than a year ago, as a 79th-minute substitute in their extra-time win at Cardiff in the FA Cup.

He has perhaps suffered from Stoke’s burgeoning reputation and increasing ability to attract top name players. Irish internationalist Glenn Whelan, former Arsenal winger Jermaine Pennant, and Matthew Etherington are all ahead of Soares in the midfield pecking order and have thus rendered the 25-year-old a peripheral figure.

“It can happen, but it’s a case of keeping your belief,” said Dowie. “Tom has belief in his natural attributes, but he needs regular football. Hibs can benefit from that – they need to, given the position they’re in.

“It depends how Pat [Fenlon] will play him. For me, he can play anywhere in a midfield four or five. He’s best employed in a midfield two or three, in the middle of the park. Listen, he has great quality, can put crosses in, and has pace and drive. He can defend and is aggressive in the tackle, but he can get forward as well.

“He’s got a great smile and he’s a very good lad, good humour, he’ll not dominate the dressing-room but he’ll get along with everyone.”

A grafting defensive midfielder to partner the impressive Isaiah Osbourne and protect a shaky defence is perhaps exactly what Fenlon requires, but Soares can not afford to show any rustiness at a time in the season where Hibs must show their mettle.

The new arrival, however, must look back at his time with Stoke and ponder: what if? Indeed, the Potters had such faith in Soares that they handed him his Premier League debut immediately after signing him.

He then started the following five matches, in which Stoke gained a credible ten points from a possible 15. The undoing of his first-team chances at the Britannia appears to have been a double-header of defeats, at Blackburn Rovers and Hartlepool. Since then, he has started just a handful of games in cup competitions.

The whirlwind episode in Soares’ career continued elsewhere, and he was farmed out to Charlton Athletic for the second half of the 2008/09 season. He was again loaned out the following campaign after three starts in Stoke’s Carling Cup campaign, this time to Sheffield Wednesday, where he suffered the second relegation of his career as t-he Owls plummeted to League One.

Since demotion 18 months ago, he has played 41 minutes of competitive football, in an FA Cup win at Cardiff in January 2011. Despite the pressure of entering a crucial juncture in his career and having hardly played recently, Soares will grasp the chance Hibs have offered, says Dowie.

“First and foremost, it will be interesting for him to go there. I follow the SPL, and I feel Hibs should be far too good for a relegation battle. For Tom, what will come will come, but he will not be intimidated. He’s 6ft 2in and is not afraid of a scrap.”

I am not saying players do not work out but I have good cause to be concerned and if I look around net I bet I can find good comments from previous managers on some of the crap we have had here. I hope he does well and I am sure we have signed players with worse stats than Soares whom have done well, I however am showing a concern that has at least some legs.

Hibbyradge
26-01-2012, 01:08 PM

If there's enough room on the page, Smurf, could you list all the British/European/World managers that have never lost out on prefered targets, please.

Cropley10
26-01-2012, 01:10 PM
I would love you to be right and in theory of course you are correct these all could be factors but based on our last few transfer windows i've no idea where you get your confidence from?

Sooner or later they might get it right, according to the Law of Averages? :dunno:

easty
26-01-2012, 01:12 PM

Wonderful legs, a great smile and good humour. He ticks all my boxes.

Beefster
26-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Folk can try and justify it however they want. The guy had two offers - us and St Mirren, a club with half of our resources. For whatever reason, he chose St Mirren. That's where we are now. I am shocked that our Training Facility didn't mean that everything else was irrelevant though.

When was the last time that a player who we were competing for chose us over someone else? I can recall Rooney, Sheridan and now Goodwin in the last 9 months as ones that got away but can't think of any that we attracted.

Elephant Stone
26-01-2012, 01:15 PM
So it's come to this after all the millions we made on players that we huvnae got a pot to p... in ! what a shocking indictment of those that are in charge that we are basically outbid by St Mirren , how we have fallen to this level is a disgrace and you can see what the future holds for the club. Folk on here saying that they don't rate him but the fact is the manager did and he has not been backed by the board, what a shambles we are..

The millions brought in from players was invested, don't make out that it's been wasted or has disappeared.

You don't know we were "basically outbid" by St Mirren. What if Goodwin said he's happy there- he is captain and they're doing pretty well as a team- and it would take a double in his salary and a tidy fee for his agent for him to move here? Should we have signed him at all costs? Is Goodwin an excellent player and worth paying a tidy salary for?

Andy74
26-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Folk can try and justify it however they want. The guy had two offers - us and St Mirren, a club with half of our resources. For whatever reason, he chose St Mirren. That's where we are now. I am shocked that our Training Facility didn't mean that everything else was irrelevant though.

When was the last time that a player who we were competing for chose us over someone else? I can recall Rooney, Sheridan and now Goodwin in the last 9 months as ones that got away but can't think of any that we attracted.

Rooney went to Brimingham FFS!

Sheridan the loon Calderwood called off as we were being mucked about and goodwin decided to stay captain of a team he seems very happy and settled at.

Doyle was wanted by Aberdeen and Ipswich. McPake had other SPL teams interested. Griffiths had Aberdeen and St Johnstone amongst others. I don't know what other options Soars and Francomb had for their loans.

smurf
26-01-2012, 01:17 PM
If there's enough room on the page, Smurf, could you list all the British/European/World managers that have never lost out on prefered targets, please.

You (probably deliberately, as that's the usual pro board tactic, if they feel the board is being criticised on here) entirely miss the point...

Of course we don't have exclusivity on missing out on preferred targets. All clubs do. Anyone suggesting otherwise is thick.

My point is that we are missing out on preferred targets too many times and in most windows.

Managers past and present confirm this and our current SPL status tells the story...

Golden Bear
26-01-2012, 01:18 PM

I wish I had the inside information that you are obviously party to as you seem very certain of your facts.

There was a story circulating yesterday that Hibs had offered St Mirren £85k for a player who would be out of contract in the summer. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't but every player has his price. Or it could simply be the case that the player himself is happy with his lot as things stand.

Hibbyradge
26-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Sooner or later they might get it right, according to the Law of Averages? :dunno:

It's a simple case of optimism v pessimism.

The reality is something else, not necessarily in between.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/9418/pessimismisthenewoptimi.jpg

EasterRoad4Ever
26-01-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm certain it's more complicated than i give it credit for, however i can't think of one reason why it took until the 24th january for us to speak to Goodwin, what are the factors i'm not taking into consideration?

Did Fenlon only learn about him mid january? Have we been bumped for all our other targets? Maybe we did speak to him earlier in the month but why did we not put a deadline on the offer?

IMO it appears hibs drag their heels in the january window, we did it last year as well and it pissed me off then as well and it appears we haven't learned our lesson from getting papped out the cup by Ayr last year

This is more of the same poor leadership we've seen from Hibs over the last few years. They simply do not have a clue how to run a football club. They woke up too late to CC and now they are fumbling around at the end of a vital transfer window with our future and SPL status at risk. You really could do a worse job if you tried.

Putting the finances to one side, the whole of the club and esp the paying fans are in desperate need of a lift. Something, anything, to lift the gloom that has enveloped ER. Yet these clowns hum and haw and twiddle there fingers moving from one failure to the next. Goodwill is not the issue here. He is a sideshow and further example of a leaderless club both on and off the park.

Andy74
You (probably deliberately, as that's the usual pro board tactic, if they feel the board is being criticised on here) entirely miss the point...

Of course we don't have exclusivity on missing out on preferred targets. All clubs do. Anyone suggesting otherwise is thick.

My point is that we are missing out on preferred targets too many times and in most windows.

Managers past and present confirm this and our current SPL status tells the story...

Pro board?

That's a bit patehetic and say a lot more about your stance on anyhting Hibs realted than it does about anyone else saying there might well be other things to consider here.

Why must people always have to be for and against 'establishment' ?

I personaly don't care about the board either way but do care about people trying at every turn to discredit Hibs just because they do seem to have an issue.

PaulSmith
Like many on hereyou make assumptions without real foundation purely to support your arguement.

And the counter argument is made up of total facts right enough, ie stayed through loyalty and it canny possibly be anything to do with Hibs not being able to compete financially.

Is that not an assumption ?

Only fact we know for certain is that PF identified Goodwin as someone he wanted and the Board, for whatever reason, failed to bring him here

easty
26-01-2012, 01:22 PM

Rooney went to Birmingham, do you think we should be able to compete with them?

basehibby
26-01-2012, 01:23 PM
It is a sorry state of affairs when we cannot tempt a player away from St Mirren.

:agree: a serious indictment on the board IMO - Goodwin was clearly a target for a longer term deal - Fenlon attempting to build a strong spine to the team - and yet again we have lost out to a club who, if we are to believe what we are told, we are streets ahead of in terms of finance and infrastructure. this is a pathetic showing from those responsible for player negotiations. If as seems to be the case, Goodwin was a key target in Fenlon's plans, there should have been no room for doubt - he should have been a Hibs player NOW.

If this is the way we can expect the club to "progress" then I am very worried indeed - I cannot see any way out of the negative spiral that we find ourselves in if the board are not prepared to back the manager by bringing realistic signing priorities to the club. If this is the way forward then I CANNOT see fans returning to ER in droves - I CAN see crowds, revenue and hence quality on the park continuing to dwindle and relegation becoming an ever more regular threat as the seasons go by (if indeed we avoid it this time around).

The board have clearly set their stall out to be a LESSER club than St Mirren - this is not acceptable IMO - if that's their attitude then they should GTF sooner rather than later.

Cropley10
26-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Rooney went to Birmingham, do you think we should be able to compete with them?

Do you think there was ANYTHING in the fact that Hughton was at Birmingham and that's where Calderdud wanted to be?

Greentinted
Fair play to Goodwin, he's the captain there and playing for a good side. It's easy to see why he's decided to stay and although disapointed Hibs didn't get them it's a nice change to see a player show a wee bit loyalty.

A player in the ilk of Goodwin is still a must IMO.

Pretty much in agreement here.

Without knowing the ins and outs of the situation, it would seem a bit churlish to criticise either way. At least we know that PF has identified the need for this type of player and is addressing it.

smurf
Pro board?

That's a bit patehetic and say a lot more about your stance on anyhting Hibs realted than it does about anyone else saying there might well be other things to consider here.

I personaly don't care about the board either way but do care about people trying at every turn to discredit Hibs just because they do seem to have an issue.

I think a lot of good people with a love and concern for our club will chuckle at some of that.

We are staring, yet again, into the abyss of the Scottish Football League.

Because like it or not on the park we are yet again not good enough.

Folk like you can deny the link with our off field activities all you like.

Andy74
26-01-2012, 01:25 PM
And the counter argument is made up of total facts right enough, ie stayed through loyalty and it canny possibly be anything to do with Hibs not being able to compete financially.

Only fact we know for certain is that PF identified Goodwin as someone he wanted and the Board, for whatever reason, failed to bring him here

You'll find that others are suggesting there are other possible reasons, not that those are facts.

Some are stating as a fact that Hibs lost out on Goodwin due to being too tight or other similar scenario.

easty
The board have clearly set their stall out to be a LESSER club than St Mirren - this is not acceptable IMO - if that's their attitude then they should GTF sooner rather than later.

What a load of utter *****.

Elephant Stone

No one's saying that's definitely why he stayed, we're saying that until we know what the facts are it's a bit premature to be seething at the board for not spending enough money. Goodwin being happy there is just one of a number of possibilities, the angry folk seem to have decided it's because we're tight as a matter of certainty.

Andy74
26-01-2012, 01:26 PM
I think a lot of good people with a love and concern for our club will chuckle at some of that.

We are staring, yet again, into the abyss of the Scottish Football League.

Because like it or not on the park we are yet again not good enough.

Folk like you can deny the link with our off field activities all you like.

What are folk like me?? :confused:

Hibbyradge
26-01-2012, 01:26 PM

Yes I did!

I read your post as having a predictable sarcastic dig (criticism) at our owners/leaders and although I'm not actually pro or anti board, ( do we have to be one or the other), I just wanted to suggest that there may be no-one to blame for Goodwin renewing his contract at the club of which he is captain.

Maybe I mis-read it.

Hibbyradge
26-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Pro board?

Well said. This is precisely my position.

easty
26-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Do you think there was ANYTHING in the fact that Hughton was at Birmingham and that's where Calderdud wanted to be?

I think that it wouldnt have mattered what we offered him, I think Birminghams offer would have been better. Where Calderwood is or was or wanted to be wouldn't have changed that.

basehibby
26-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Personally I'm quite glad. I don't rate him anywhere near some of you lot. Not to say he's not a decent player but I reckon he'll very soon be on the decline anyway.
However, I think some people need to understand that sometimes players don't always go for the money. There's a strong chance he's very settled where he is, captain of a team where he's a fans favourite from what I understand.
So we lose out on a target, that's football. Let's move on to the next! :flag:

This is NOT a one off situation - it's part of a very worrying pattern which has seen successive managers miss out on signing priorities AGAIN and AGAIN and have to do the majority of their business at the erse end of the window scrambling about in the bargain basement.

THIS is why our team is so ****ing sheight FFS!!!

Continuing in this vein is the path to disaster IMO

smurf
26-01-2012, 01:31 PM
What are folk like me?? :confused:

In all honesty? I think we could be this time next year fighting relegation from the first division and you would still be challenging those questioning the club s direction and leadership.

I do wonder how far we have fall before alarm bells will ring for some.

Hibbyradge
26-01-2012, 01:33 PM
:agree: a serious indictment on the board IMO - Goodwin was clearly a target for a longer term deal - Fenlon attempting to build a strong spine to the team - and yet again we have lost out to a club who, if we are to believe what we are told, we are streets ahead of in terms of finance and infrastructure. this is a pathetic showing from those responsible for player negotiations. If as seems to be the case, Goodwin was a key target in Fenlon's plans, there should have been no room for doubt - he should have been a Hibs player NOW.

If this is the way we can expect the club to "progress" then I am very worried indeed - I cannot see any way out of the negative spiral that we find ourselves in if the board are not prepared to back the manager by bringing realistic signing priorities to the club. If this is the way forward then I CANNOT see fans returning to ER in droves - I CAN see crowds, revenue and hence quality on the park continuing to dwindle and relegation becoming an ever more regular threat as the seasons go by (if indeed we avoid it this time around).

My understanding is that PF was interested in signing Goodwin for next season, but he wanted to come straight away or not at all.

That didn't suit Hibs, so we withdrew our interest.

Now some fans might have wanted Goodwin to sign now, but PF didn't and that's what matters.

Hibbyradge
26-01-2012, 01:34 PM
This is NOT a one off situation - it's part of a very worrying pattern which has seen successive managers miss out on signing priorities AGAIN and AGAIN and have to do the majority of their business at the erse end of the window scrambling about in the bargain basement.

4 out of our 5 targets have signed in this window.

How many players have we missed out on over the last few years that we realistically could have attracted? You can't count Black, Barr, Hammil or Webster because they were offered ridiculous money to keep them away from us. Rooney went to a championship side with EPL ambition. But count up all the others.

Then compare that number to the number of players we have actually signed.

It might give you a different perspective. Only if you want it to, of course.

Golden Bear
26-01-2012, 01:36 PM
My understanding is that PF was interested in signing Goodwin for next season, but he wanted to come straight away or not at all.

That didn't suit Hibs, so we withdrew our interest.

Now some fans might have wanted Goodwin to sign now, but PF didn't and that's what matters.

I wonder why that would be the case?

:worms:

Andy74
26-01-2012, 01:37 PM

Does the bargain basement thing add up or have we just had pretty poor management identifying the right ones and then managing them?

The last two or three years we have been signing players from the likes of Liverpool, Aston Villa, Sunderland, Stoke, Norwich, PNE, Nottingham Forest, Charlton and Coventry.

From Mixu right through you can see we've signed players known to the manager or the coaches so are they really missing out on their priorities time and again?

Mixu got it tight then Hughes got it tight then CC got it tight. Should we really have kept whichever one at the time and instead sympathised with not being backed properly? Not for me, they all got what should have been good players to work with.

smurf
26-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Yes I did!

I read your post as having a predictable sarcastic dig (criticism) at our owners/leaders and although I'm not actually pro or anti board, ( do we have to be one or the other), I just wanted to suggest that there may be no-one to blame for Goodwin renewing his contract at the club of which he is captain.

Maybe I mis-read it.

On many occasions I've praised the board. I think they are well intentioned. However, overall they are and have been giving leadership taking us nowhere except struggle and toil to preserve our SPL status. If that makes me anti board then so be it.

My point was that if anyone *dare* question the role of the board, it would provoke the hysteria as we are now witnessing!

What I've always said it that as long as we are struggling (and its been a long time) its surely fair game to question the role of our leadership.

If their role isn't so pivotal to our success, or not, then why are they remunerated at the top of our clubs pay scale?

Securing top targets (realistic of course but I've yet to hear of Messi being identified by any recent manager...) of our Manager is crucial in him being a success or not.

Fenlon wanted Goodwin. He wasn't delivered.

Hibbyradge
26-01-2012, 01:44 PM
I wonder why that would be the case?

:worms:

Maybe he didn't want to play in front of fans who he was about to "betray"?

Maybe Hibs haven't got the cash to pay for a player to join us 5 months before the manager needs him?

Or maybe we have, and maybe Hibs offered money for him to come now, but St Mirren wouldn't sell, as per Danny Lennon.

Andy74
26-01-2012, 01:46 PM
In all honesty? I think we could be this time next year fighting relegation from the first division and you would still be challenging those questioning the club s direction and leadership.

I do wonder how far we ha e fall before alarm bells will ring for some.

Don't worry, the alarm bells are rining allright, but for me, due to appointing an absolute shocker of a manager at a time when the previous one had the team in a slump.

I see the board as responsible for that and for not shifting him out in the summer.

I don't see either the infrastructure projects or the signing policy as being responsible for it. Fact is most of the teams above us pay a lot less and sign players from lower places than we gnerally do and so it has to be down to management.

If it helps you stick things in boxes you can see that as being pro board if you like but that doesn't really come into my thinking.

When Petrie and Farmer have both threatened legal action against you there's no real reason to be loved up with them. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
26-01-2012, 01:47 PM
I'm personally not too bothered about missing out on Goodwin, however the fact that we have seemingly lost out to St Mirren does trouble me and it's a sign of where we are right now and how others perceive our current predicament.

smurf
26-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Does the bargain basement thing add up or have we just had pretty poor management identifying the right ones and then managing them?

The last two or three years we have been signing players from the likes of Liverpool, Aston Villa, Sunderland, Stoke, Norwich, PNE, Nottingham Forest, Charlton and Coventry.

From Mixu right through you can see we've signed players known to the manager or the coaches so are they really missing out on their priorities time and again?

Mixu got it tight then Hughes got it tight then CC got it tight. Should we really have kept whichever one at the time and instead sympathised with not being backed properly? Not for me, they all got what should have been good players to work with.

But you completely disregard these managers making it very clear that their priorities and targets in terms of personnel were missed.

Yes, all clubs miss out on targets, but I honestly can't think of any other clubs that have publicly missed out on so many through their manager letting it be known...

smurf
26-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Don't worry, the alarm bells are rining allright, but for me, due to appointing an absolute shocker of a manager at a time when the previous one had the team in a slump.

I see the board as responsible for that and for not shifting him out in the summer.

I don't see either the infrastructure projects or the signing policy as being responsible for it. Fact is most of the teams above us pay a lot less and sign players from lower places than we gnerally do and so it has to be down to management.

If it helps you stick things in boxes you can see that as being pro board if you like but that doesn't really come into my thinking.

When Petrie and Farmer have both threatened legal action against you there's no real reason to be loved up with them. :greengrin

You make good points. And I enjoy the tone of your debate.

basehibby
26-01-2012, 01:49 PM

What a load of tosh!

I'm not knocking Soares but he is pretty much an unknown quantity to me - an attacking midfielder, he has been loaned out twice to Championship sides and relegated both times - doesn't mean he's a bad player of course - he hopefully will be an outstanding success at Hibs - but it's not a pedigree that fills me with confidence.

Goodwin on the other hand has been widely credited as being a major influence in his side's recent success in the spl - DISPLAYING CONSISTENCY AND LEADERSHIP QUALITIES in abundance - he is a known performer at this level and would have been an easy bet to be a success. Every man and his dog has commented on how much of a soft touch Hibs have been over the last couple of seasons and this player could clearly have made a difference in this respect.

IMo you are burying your head in the sand to avoid the harsh reality that Hibs are becoming a lesser club than the likes of St Mirren and St Johnstone - and our leadership at board level do not appear to care!

Andy74
26-01-2012, 01:50 PM
But you completely disregard these managers making it very clear that their priorities and targets in terms of personnel were missed.

Yes, all clubs miss out on targets, but I honestly can't think of any other clubs that have publicly missed out on so many through their manager letting it be known...

I don't think those managers said anyhting of the sort but I'm sure you have read things where you think they have as that's what you wanted it to say.

Anyway, haven't the recent managers all been slavers so why believe any of their excuses?

The activity doesn't add up to this at all and I can't recall us being public about many if any targets. Hibs net rumours aren't fact you know!

Captain Trips
26-01-2012, 01:51 PM
What a load of tosh!

I'm not knocking Soares but he is pretty much an unknown quantity to me - an attacking midfielder, he has been loaned out twice to Championship sides and relegated both times - doesn't mean he's a bad player of course - he hopefully will be an outstanding success at Hibs - but it's not a pedigree that fills me with confidence.

Goodwin on the other hand has been widely credited as being a major influence in his side's recent success in the spl - DISPLAYING CONSISTENCY AND LEADERSHIP QUALITIES in abundance - he is a known performer at this level and would have been an easy bet to be a success. Every man and his dog has commented on how much of a soft touch Hibs have been over the last couple of seasons and this player could clearly have made a difference in this respect.

IMo you are burying your head in the sand to avoid the harsh reality that Hibs are becoming a lesser club than the likes of St Mirren and St Johnstone - and our leadership at board level do not appear to care!

Agree with a lot of that.

Jim44
26-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Shock, horror ................ experienced, reliable defender opts for a nondescript, provincial, minnow football club in favour of a massive ( in the words of incoming, inexperienced, unknown quantity youngsters) sleeping giant of a club, with a relatively clean financial bill of health, a fine stadium and arguably the finest training facilities in the country. Hey, maybe we're not all we're cracked up to be. :rolleyes:

Lucius Apuleius
26-01-2012, 01:53 PM

Took the words out of my mouth Radge. Every team has lost out on players in every transfer window. You just don't hear about them all. Big deal, we never git him. Would have been good I cannot disagree however nobody knows why he decided to stay at St Mirren, but we should all just speculate it was because we refused to pay him what he is worth. Still be interesting to know what people do think he is worth.

smurf
26-01-2012, 01:54 PM
I don't think those managers said anyhting of the sort but I'm sure you have read things where you think they have as that's what you wanted it to say.

Anyway, haven't the recent managers all been slavers so why believe any of their excuses?

The activity doesn't add up to this at all and I can't recall us being public about many if any targets. Hibs net rumours aren't fact you know!

We've quite rightly never been public about our targets, but the incumbents of the hotseat, consistently let it be known we've missed out on targets...

And rumours on here is another ball game...

Hibbyradge
26-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Fenlon wanted Goodwin. He wasn't delivered.

Hibs were interested in Goodwin. This we know.

I understand we didn't want him till the summer, but even leaving that aside, we don't know why we didn't sign him. No idea at all.

So why even mention the board?

basehibby
26-01-2012, 01:57 PM
4 out of our 5 targets have signed in this window.

How many players have we missed out on over the last few years that we realistically could have attracted? You can't count Black, Barr, Hammil or Webster because they were offered ridiculous money to keep them away from us. Rooney went to a championship side with EPL ambition. But count up all the others.

Then compare that number to the number of players we have actually signed.

It might give you a different perspective. Only if you want it to, of course.

Oh yes we've signed NUMBERS - but look where they've got us!!!

We have failed to sign quality and failed to build a team - all this while consistently signing the majority of our players on short term deals at the erse end of the window - coincidence?I don't think so.

Captain Trips
26-01-2012, 01:58 PM

I understand we didn't want him till the summer, but even leaving that aside, we don't know why we didn't sign him. No idea at all.

I am like many unsure about what went on but that comment interests me radge, we didn't want him till the summer? Why would we not want him now?

smurf
26-01-2012, 01:58 PM

Managers identify the targets. It's the job of the board to deliver the targets. With Goodwin they failed to do so.

As I've said repeatedly whoever is our manager is letting it be known that our targets are not being secured.

The end result is where we are in the SPL.

basehibby
26-01-2012, 02:00 PM

Well you understand wrong IMO - the truth is we didn't want to pay any money to St Mirren for him and hence wanted to wait for the summer rather than recruit a badly needed leader on the park when we need one (ie NOW!)

Andy74
26-01-2012, 02:02 PM
What a load of tosh!

Im saying on the face of it.

Pedigree wise Soars, as a young man still, has England under 21 caps, went for over a million and was on the fringes of an EPL team.

Goodwin has played in the lower English leagues, lower than those teams that relegated, for Hamilton and now St Mirren.

Of course Goodwin seems to have been a really key player and a leader in that time, partcularly recently. Will he keep doing that for the next couple of years? Maybe.

Had Soars being playing for St Mirren for the last couple of years how would have done?

We don't know but Soars has been at a level for at least part of his career so far that Goodwin has not achieved and will not achieve.

Come on now, you have to hope eh? :greengrin

stokesmessiah
26-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Managers identify the targets. It's the job of the board to deliver the targets. With Goodwin they failed to do so.

As I've said repeatedly whoever is our manager is letting it be known that our targets are not being secured.

The end result is where we are in the SPL.

Smurf, i am not overly surprised that you have taken this stance but you have nothing to back it up at all.

How do you know that it wasnt Fenlon who said i want to pay X amount p/w for this guy if he takes good, if not we move on? Or it could of been a case of the board throwning an additional 1k a week at him and he still wants to stay in Paisley where he is settled well and doing well in a team above us in the league?

Captain Trips
26-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Oh yes we've signed NUMBERS - but look where they've got us!!!

We have failed to sign quality and failed to build a team - all this while consistently signing the majority of our players on short term deals at the erse end of the window - coincidence?I don't think so.

Indeed with bad managers we have this tranfer window to transfer window team each season with stikeforces changing each season defencive partnerships not being built, we are 11th due to it all. The less business we are doing each window the better, it seems we are changing way to many players each time.

Doyle apart we are likely to have completly different strikers next season and Doyles contract will end next season so chances are it changes again, it has got ridiculous.

Golden Bear
26-01-2012, 02:05 PM
No mention of the big bad Hibs Board in this article!

Could it simply be a case that Goodwin is part of a dying breed of footballers who really does have a sense of loyalty and is content with his lot?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2012/01/26/jim-goodwin-turns-down-hibs-offer-and-signs-new-deal-with-st-mirren-86908-23721357/