PDA

View Full Version : boo'ing and abuse to players

Ultrabee1-0
23-01-2012, 02:12 AM
the boo'ing of players at ER has gone far enough. Every time a player makes a miss pass or not the right idea all a hear is '' hes ***** fenlon get him off'' we should be backing the players through hard times!!!

also the abuse on leigh griffiths at the minute is shocking! no wonder he is making abusive gestures at us if a was a life long hibs fan and playing my heart out and then getting pelters from the stands a wouldnt be to happy either!
not saying griffiths should have done it he is a profesional and knows better but you cant blame the kid!

time to put a stop to it all and cheer on the might hibees:flag::hibees:pfgwa:flag:

Steve20
23-01-2012, 06:54 AM
I don't agree with players being booed or abused at matches but maybe if players gave us something to cheer about, people would 'cheer them on'

Every week there is a couple of threads blaming the fans. It's the garbage we have to watch that's the problem, not the people who have paid money to watch it.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-01-2012, 09:57 AM
If and it's a big if ...

If folks accept we are now in a relegation "dogfight" [undeniable]
and buy in to adopting a siege mentality

Then there should be no booing of Hibs players
And certainly no abuse of hibs players

For me it should now be you're either with us or not and if you have a problem with a player do something go do something more constructive

Keith_M
23-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Our crowds have gone down by about 4,000 per game yet there seems to be as many people that get on the players backs as before.

Does that mean that they're our core support? :devil:

Pretty Boy
23-01-2012, 10:17 AM
I said this on another thread but I'll say it again.

I'm off the opinion that very few people go to games with the intention of booing or abusing players, most of us go in the hope something will click and we will see a good, winning performance.

The abuse is, in my opinion, not just aimed at the players but is an expression of the frustration felt about the whole situation. When we twice got back into the game on Saturday and 2 woeful pieces.of.defending cost us a priceless point is it any wonder folk get frustrated and lose their temper. I'm not saying its right, just understandable.

Since the CIS win we as a support have endured far more lows than highs. It's a 2 way street, we have to.support the club and team but they have to give us something to support.

scoopyboy
23-01-2012, 10:21 AM
I don't agree with players being booed or abused at matches but maybe if players gave us something to cheer about, people would 'cheer them on'

Every week there is a couple of threads blaming the fans. It's the garbage we have to watch that's the problem, not the people who have paid money to watch it.

I can't recall a thread blaming the fans last week.

Even when 1-0 down the fans were right behind the team.

IMO the fans that boo and abuse are not helping the situation one little bit. Not blaming them for the situation we are in but they are not helping.

chrisski33
23-01-2012, 12:56 PM
the boo'ing of players at ER has gone far enough. Every time a player makes a miss pass or not the right idea all a hear is '' hes ***** fenlon get him off'' we should be backing the players through hard times!!!

also the abuse on leigh griffiths at the minute is shocking! no wonder he is making abusive gestures at us if a was a life long hibs fan and playing my heart out and then getting pelters from the stands a wouldnt be to happy either!
not saying griffiths should have done it he is a profesional and knows better but you cant blame the kid!

time to put a stop to it all and cheer on the might hibees:flag::hibees:pfgwa:flag:

Whether its right ir wrong to boo the players or not its down to the players to show some more fight and give us something to cheer about.

As for griffiths i do blame him he has been caught twice now for gesturing at fans and should have learnt his lesson the first time. He should learn to block the abuse like other players seem to.

archiebald
23-01-2012, 01:30 PM
ie Tortalano + Brazil

Paisley Hibby
23-01-2012, 01:54 PM
I can't recall a thread blaming the fans last week.

Even when 1-0 down the fans were right behind the team.

IMO the fans that boo and abuse are not helping the situation one little bit. Not blaming them for the situation we are in but they are not helping.

I agree with you. I'm sure I heard booing the first time Stephens got the ball after his stupid blunder that led to the St J second goal. At that point we had made all 3 substitutions. So we needed Stephens to hold it together as best he could for the rest of the match. Yes we were all furious at him but how did any fan who booed him think their actions were going to help?

As for Griffiths - he's the most creative player we have. Sure, I don't think he's the kind of guy I'd ever want to go for a pint with but we should be backing him for the sake of Hibs.

happiehibbie
23-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Your right its the fans fault we are rubbish

we are to blame for lack off attitude

we are at fault because GOC can not find a pass or trap a ball
we are to blame because Ivan has no speed left and no skill
We are to blame so the players take it out on us

we are to blame because we buy and sell the players

i could go on

but your RIGHT its our fault

Scouse Hibee
23-01-2012, 03:32 PM

Oh jesus not another one!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2012, 03:34 PM

Is it, is it worse than Hart or sproule or O'hanlon or Wotherspoon or Galbraith or Stephens or Stevenson or are you just making it up?

lord bunberry
23-01-2012, 03:49 PM

i dont think the abuse the players are getting is as bad as some are making out from were im sitting in the east stand all i hear is a bit of booing and groaning now and again. if the players cant take a bit of stick they are in the wrong job. i bet if the players had to pay a large chunk of their weekly wage to watch the rubbish we have to watch they would be pretty vocal as well

basehibby
23-01-2012, 04:50 PM
I agree with you. I'm sure I heard booing the first time Stephens got the ball after his stupid blunder that led to the St J second goal. At that point we had made all 3 substitutions. So we needed Stephens to hold it together as best he could for the rest of the match. Yes we were all furious at him but how did any fan who booed him think their actions were going to help?

As for Griffiths - he's the most creative player we have. Sure, I don't think he's the kind of guy I'd ever want to go for a pint with but we should be backing him for the sake of Hibs.

:agree: Unfortunately we are cursed with some w***ers in our support who have f*** all between their ears but a ridiculously high estimation of their own opinions about football/Hibs and a belief that they have the god given right to inflict said wisdom upon the rest of us at every oportunity.

It was ever thus - I can remember the same breed of morons doing their best to destroy whatever confidence remained within the likes of Tortolano and Brazil 20 or 30 years ago - even during the good times we had some idiots determined to heap opobrium upon the likes of Archie Lovell when Sauzee and Latapy were the teammates making him look pretty odrinary.

The situation you describe above goes way beyond stupidity and is part of what seems to be a growing culture of booing and whinging at the first sign of trouble - these days we only need to go a goal down for some pathetic twats to start booing - this is clearly to the detriment of the team and I think the rest of us have every right to tell the idiots to shut the f*** up - and report them to stewards if they fail to take the hint - this is especially the case when our main goal threat is likely to throw a wobbly at the slightest provocation and get himself banned for chucking a GIRFUY in the general direction of said idiots.

basehibby
23-01-2012, 04:52 PM

i could go on

NO - but SOME of us are to blame for habitually making a bad situation worse.

Scouse Hibee
23-01-2012, 07:45 PM
:agree: Unfortunately we are cursed with some w***ers in our support who have f*** all between their ears but a ridiculously high estimation of their own opinions about football/Hibs and a belief that they have the god given right to inflict said wisdom upon the rest of us at every oportunity.

It was ever thus - I can remember the same breed of morons doing their best to destroy whatever confidence remained within the likes of Tortolano and Brazil 20 or 30 years ago - even during the good times we had some idiots determined to heap opobrium upon the likes of Archie Lovell when Sauzee and Latapy were the teammates making him look pretty odrinary.

The situation you describe above goes way beyond stupidity and is part of what seems to be a growing culture of booing and whinging at the first sign of trouble - these days we only need to go a goal down for some pathetic twats to start booing - this is clearly to the detriment of the team and I think the rest of us have every right to tell the idiots to shut the f*** up - and report them to stewards if they fail to take the hint - this is especially the case when our main goal threat is likely to throw a wobbly at the slightest provocation and get himself banned for chucking a GIRFUY in the general direction of said idiots.

Exactly it's not new to football and certainly not new to Hibs as some on here would make believe. It's not a new and growing culture at all, it's as you have stated been part of football for years well before our time. Can't believe the amount of analysing and moaning on here about it over and over again!!!!

Northernhibee
23-01-2012, 07:53 PM

i could go on

:violin::trumpet:

Violater
23-01-2012, 08:03 PM

Totally agree with everything you say in this post Base Hibby!

:top marks

skipster7
23-01-2012, 08:13 PM
ie Tortalano + Brazil
even Colin Nish :agree:

SouthamptonHibs
23-01-2012, 08:22 PM

Report people to the stewards for booing! :na na: Your having laugh....fans can do and say what they want at football, everyone pays there money....footballs crap enough these days without fans complaining to stewards about booing! Is booing a crime?
What's next complaining when someone farts around you, complaining that the person next to you is not wearing the right colour of shirt?.... Stewards are there for safety reasons nothing else
Anyone who turns up to ER just now needs a medal not abuse from the rest of the support!
Have you not realised there are 8000 turning up for a home games, 8000 Hibs fans rattling around in a massive stadium, hardly intimadating place to play!
I'm sure the Hibs players are big lads and can take a few boo's from the Hibs faithful! If not we are in big trouble on Saturday as they'll be 50,000 Rangers fans booing them from 3pm on Sat!

Problem simple to fix, start winning at home, the crowds will come back and the booing will stop! we'll it should stop for a while :greengrin

scoopyboy
23-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Report people to the stewards for booing! :na na: Your having laugh....fans can do and say what they want at football, everyone pays there money....footballs crap enough these days without fans complaining to stewards about booing! Is booing a crime?
What's next complaining when someone farts around you, complaining that the person next to you is not wearing the right colour of shirt?.... Stewards are there for safety reasons nothing else
Anyone who turns up to ER just now needs a medal not abuse from the rest of the support!
Have you not realised there are 8000 turning up for a home games, 8000 Hibs fans rattling around in a massive stadium, hardly intimadating place to play!
I'm sure the Hibs players are big lads and can take a few boo's from the Hibs faithful! If not we are in big trouble on Saturday as they'll be 50,000 Rangers fans booing them from 3pm on Sat!

Problem simple to fix, start winning at home, the crowds will come back and the booing will stop! we'll it should stop for a while :greengrin

Sure about that?

Holmesdale Hibs
23-01-2012, 08:40 PM

i could go on

It's not fans fault that the team are lack some of the basic footballing skills.

But if a fan is acting like a twat by shouting abuse at our own players, then it's that individual fans fault that he is acting like a twat.

SouthamptonHibs
23-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Sure about that?

There's a few words, phrases that shouldn't be said at a game but in general when supporting the team we can say everything else:hibees

The_Todd
23-01-2012, 08:42 PM
I am pleased to report a complete lack of booing in Section 43.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/7/22/128927998900400619.jpg

Holmesdale Hibs
23-01-2012, 08:42 PM

Can say what you want? Even if that was true, it doesn't mean you have to do it at any opportunity.

Lucky Huns having 50000 fans booing the opposition.

Saorsa
23-01-2012, 08:43 PM
There's a few words, phrases that shouldn't be said at a game but in general when supporting the team we can say everything else:hibeesDoes booing and shouting abuse at our own players constitute supporting the team?

I would have thought encouraging our players and booing the opposition would be supporting the team!

BEEJ
23-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Despite the title of the thread, this is not about 'booing' - its about personal abuse directed towards our players by a few empty-headed individuals.

But anything goes, eh?

Leithenhibby
23-01-2012, 08:48 PM

i could go on

Not so sure I :agree:

But my take on this is that the fans and the team are just that, a team. about time we moved away from this "he's calling me names and I'm telling!!!"

Let's all just, "MAN UP" and get the job in hand done... :wink: :greengrin

SouthamptonHibs
23-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Can say what you want? Even if that was true, it doesn't mean you have to do it at any opportunity.

Lucky Huns having 50000 fans booing the opposition.

Ideally it would be great if ALL Hibs fans sang Hibs songs for 90mins but ER's atmospher has been poor for years!
Main problem is the football on offer, it's up to the individual to do what they want!
I'm confident everyone goes to the game wanting Hibs to Win, but the fans that do go now are frustrated when things are going badly!
A few folk booing shouldn't affact how our players perform! There professional footballers

SouthamptonHibs
23-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Does booing and shouting abuse at our own players constitute supporting the team?

I would have thought encouraging our players and booing the opposition would be supporting the team!

Singing Hibs songs for 90mins is the best way to show support the team, but ER has no atmospher, we hardly sing a song!
Most folk that go are quiet and don't say a word all game, then you have the 100 or so folk that try and start a song which quickly fades out and there's the other fans that are frustrated and shout comments out and boo now and again! There all Hibs fans, there's hardly any going to the games, my point is there entitled to comment on the game as they see it.............1 win in 12 home games in a poor SPL, i can see why fans get frustraited

Alfred E Newman
23-01-2012, 08:59 PM

There are supporters of very team in the country that could be described in the same way. As far as the Hibs go perhaps the fact that we have only won one solitary league game in a year at Easter Road might just have something to do with the frustration and lack of patience shown by some of the fans.

Baldy Foghorn
23-01-2012, 09:01 PM
I said this on another thread but I'll say it again.

I'm off the opinion that very few people go to games with the intention of booing or abusing players, most of us go in the hope something will click and we will see a good, winning performance.

The abuse is, in my opinion, not just aimed at the players but is an expression of the frustration felt about the whole situation. When we twice got back into the game on Saturday and 2 woeful pieces.of.defending cost us a priceless point is it any wonder folk get frustrated and lose their temper. I'm not saying its right, just understandable.

Since the CIS win we as a support have endured far more lows than highs. It's a 2 way street, we have to.support the club and team but they have to give us something to support.

Good post, none of us want to go to games and witness the dross we are watching, supporter action is a consequence of frustration....It's not right but unfortunately understandable

Holmesdale Hibs
23-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Ideally it would be great if ALL Hibs fans sang Hibs songs for 90mins but ER's atmospher has been poor for years!
Main problem is the football on offer, it's up to the individual to do what they want!
I'm confident everyone goes to the game wanting Hibs to Win, but the fans that do go now are frustrated when things are going badly!
A few folk booing shouldn't affact how our players perform! There professional footballers

It would be better if all fans sang but fans that say nothing aren't the problem. They still contribute to the club financially and generally make some atmosphere by shouting and clapping when we score.

The problem is fans that shout abuse at players make a NEGATIVE contribution to the atmosphere and team performance. Maybe it shouldn't affect the players but it clearly does. FFS the club actually came out and thanked the fans for being positive the other week.

All fans get frustrated but fans that can't stop themselves shouting abuse at our own players need to have a look at themselves.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-01-2012, 09:08 PM
I blame big brother and reality tv

One day well win that blummin Scottish cup and these guys will spontaneously combust problem solved then those remaining can complain about the 5k off the next home gate ;)

SouthamptonHibs
23-01-2012, 09:18 PM
It would be better if all fans sang but fans that say nothing aren't the problem. They still contribute to the club financially and generally make some atmosphere by shouting and clapping when we score.

The problem is fans that shout abuse at players make a NEGATIVE contribution to the atmosphere and team performance. Maybe it shouldn't affect the players but it clearly does. FFS the club actually came out and thanked the fans for being positive the other week.

All fans get frustrated but fans that can't stop themselves shouting abuse at our own players need to have a look at themselves.

I think the Atmospher will change at Easter Road by the time we play our next league game v Aberdeen!
By then ALL Hibs fans will realise that we are in real danger of being relegated!
I expect us to be bottom of the league by then due to forth coming fixtures and Pars game in hand, the Jan window will be closed and the Frank Sauzee type savour we all hope to sign won't have arrived due to financial constraints!
The players that we will/have signed on loan before the window closes will need the support of the Hibs fans.

We're in for a good end to the season as none of our games left will be meaningless, every season us fans moan about the split and meaningless games until the season ends...not this year! 15 cup finals left:flag:

Bishop Hibee
23-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Interesting discussion around this subject on 5 live earlier this evening. The debate started over the anger of Arsenal fans when Oxlade-Chamberlain was taken off. Fans booed and according to radio commentators a fan got up and left. When Welbeck scored Wenger got pelters including sarcastic applause. Jason Roberts then said he thought the abuse and barracking of players has increased in recent seasons but didn't really give an explanation.

My take on it is that there is a greater disassociation of the players from the paying public. The perception is that under performing players are being over paid and the fans anger expresses itself when things go wrong on the pitch. I certainly feel no connection with players like Griffiths and O'Connor when they self-destruct on and off the pitch. I'd have given anything for half of either of their playing talent and they seem to piss it away.

Thoughts?

Alfred E Newman
23-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Interesting discussion around this subject on 5 live earlier this evening. The debate started over the anger of Arsenal fans when Oxlade-Chamberlain was taken off. Fans booed and according to radio commentators a fan got up and left. When Welbeck scored Wenger got pelters including sarcastic applause. Jason Roberts then said he thought the abuse and barracking of players has increased in recent seasons but didn't really give an explanation.

My take on it is that there is a greater disassociation of the players from the paying public. The perception is that under performing players are being over paid and the fans anger expresses itself when things go wrong on the pitch. I certainly feel no connection with players like Griffiths and O'Connor when they self-destruct on and off the pitch. I'd have given anything for half of either of their playing talent and they seem to piss it away.

Thoughts?

Good point. Supporters no longer have the same affinity with the players as they did 20 or 30 years ago. The rediculously high wages have had a lot to do with that.

The_Todd
23-01-2012, 10:08 PM
And here was me thinking Hibs were too tight with the wages :wink:

joebakerforever
23-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Exactly it's not new to football and certainly not new to Hibs as some on here would make believe. It's not a new and growing culture at all, it's as you have stated been part of football for years well before our time. Can't believe the amount of analysing and moaning on here about it over and over again!!!!

What is new is Sportscene deliberately highlighting the players reactions, thereby encouraging the SFA Compliance Officer to take action.

The BBC news hacks thereby generate further story lines for their own benefit.

It's not a new phenomenon of players gesturing back to slagging from the terracing, be it the fingers, or in the case of Sammy Nelson of Arsenal, dropping his kegs.

Very rarely did the refs consider taking further action, and there was no Compliance Officer snooping around in the background.

We seem to be living in sensitive times where some delicate fans are crying wolf to the CO on seeing such indiscretions on the park.

Stuart McColl on the radio tonight was highly critical of the television repeatedly highlighting these incidents and implied that the Compliance Officer was acting mainly on the Sunday content of Sportscene.

Out of interest is it only tv footage that Vincent Lunny acts on, or has he acted on any gesturing off camera by players, that has also been reported ?

RIP
23-01-2012, 11:53 PM

Nobody ever blames the fans - that's a Yammish myth

RIP
23-01-2012, 11:56 PM

i could go on

Utherly pathetic drivel and nothing whatsoever to do with the topic of the thread

RIP
23-01-2012, 11:59 PM
I am pleased to report a complete lack of booing in Section 43.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/7/22/128927998900400619.jpg

Pish

The guy in Row GG has tourettes and screams almost constant abuse for 90minutes

Stick yer smug allegations where the sun don't shine ya sarcastic tattie heid

cabbageandribs1875
24-01-2012, 12:19 AM
oh dear, chillax jeeeezo

Dashing Bob S
24-01-2012, 01:33 AM
I never boo Hibs players, I just tut them and roll my eyes. I go 'tsk' and cultivate a demeanor of lofty disdain. If more fans responded that way I'm convinced they'd get the message and performances would improve.

Dashing Bob S
24-01-2012, 01:34 AM
I also never abuse them. Anything we get up together is always fully consensual.

The_Todd
24-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Pish

The guy in Row GG has tourettes and screams almost constant abuse for 90minutes

Stick yer smug allegations where the sun don't shine ya sarcastic tattie heid

Calm down, princess. Didn't hear it from lowly row U.