PDA

View Full Version : 10,892 at Murrayfield v 8,772 at Easter Road this weekend

Jamesie
22-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Rugby isn't everyone's cup of tea but it just goes to show what happens when you've got a winning product on the park and one which is well priced at that - £15 for adults and £5 for students if tickets purchased in advance of today.

Edinburgh v Toulouse on the same weekend we're playing Motherwell at Easter Road - wonder where the bigger attendance will be that weekend?

Sammy7nil
22-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Who won ?

Pretty Boy
22-01-2012, 04:16 PM
The fact they do the pitchside standing and allow you to have a couple of beers is a huge draw as well I reckon.

Rugby bores me to tears but it appears Edinburgh are actively trying to get more fans through the gates, something Hibs could learn from.

Hermit Crab
22-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Rugby isn't everyone's cup of tea but it just goes to show what happens when you've got a winning product on the park and one which is well priced at that - £15 for adults and £5 for students if tickets purchased in advance of today.

Edinburgh v Toulouse on the same weekend we're playing Motherwell at Easter Road - wonder where the bigger attendance will be that weekend?

Rugby because the Hibs game is live on ESPN. Not a fair comparison that weekend.

ano hibby
22-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Who won ?

Edin won by 4 tries, 34-11 and 3rd best qualifier in Europe, hence home tie v Toulouse

Sammy7nil
22-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Edin won by 4 tries, 34-11 and 3rd best qualifier in Europe, hence home tie v Toulouse

Good stuff always fancied going along sometime I may be tempted by Toulouse :cb

Jamesie
22-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Rugby because the Hibs game is live on ESPN. Not a fair comparison that weekend.

Edinburgh game live on Sky Sports today and would imagine the Quarter Final will be too.

Jamesie
22-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Good stuff always fancied going along sometime I may be tempted by Toulouse :cb

Me too! I was moaning about our 12:00 kick off on the Sunday at Easter Road but it may work out quite well if the Quarter Final is at 15:15 on the same afternoon - taxi/bus from London Road and be able to make it in time for kick off! :greengrin

I'm_cabbaged
22-01-2012, 04:30 PM

That'll be live on the tv as well. Reackon there will be more at that game than I've ever saw at ER.

Gatecrasher
22-01-2012, 04:31 PM
if hibs were in the champions league we wouldnt have enough room, isnt the heineken cup the rugby champions league?

how much do they get for a normal league game?

Jamesie
22-01-2012, 04:32 PM
The fact they do the pitchside standing and allow you to have a couple of beers is a huge draw as well I reckon.

Rugby bores me to tears but it appears Edinburgh are actively trying to get more fans through the gates, something Hibs could learn from.

If he hasn't done so already it would do Mr Hyland no harm to identify whoever the marketing person is at Edinburgh Rugby and to meet up for lunch and see what we can learn and if there are any opportunities to work together - I think previously they've done some linkups with Hearts, there's no reason why they can't do similar with Hibs.

I'm not talking about stadium sharing again - from memory it didn't do our pitch much good when the Edinbrugh Gunners played at Easter Road in 1997 - but Edinburgh are obviously doing something right.

Jamesie
22-01-2012, 04:34 PM
if hibs were in the champions league we wouldnt have enough room, isnt the heineken cup the rugby champions league?

how much do they get for a normal league game?

Granted some of their league attendances are far from brilliant but they did get 13,000 odd for the Derby game against Glasgow on Boxing Day.

Barney McGrew
22-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Edinburgh are obviously doing something right.

Winning games in the flagship European competition maybe?

Gatecrasher
22-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Granted some of their league attendances are far from brilliant but they did get 13,000 odd for the Derby game against Glasgow on Boxing Day.
that wasn't a pop. i actually dont know how much they get. but a comparable fixture would need to be looked at

Moulin Yarns
22-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Brilliant idea. Joint promotion, come watch football followed by rugby all on one day. Lay on a fleet of buses to take fans from ER to Murrayfield. Might work

If he hasn't done so already it would do Mr Hyland no harm to identify whoever the marketing person is at Edinburgh Rugby and to meet up for lunch and see what we can learn and if there are any opportunities to work together - I think previously they've done some linkups with Hearts, there's no reason why they can't do similar with Hibs.

I'm not talking about stadium sharing again - from memory it didn't do our pitch much good when the Edinbrugh Gunners played at Easter Road in 1997 - but Edinburgh are obviously doing something right.

HibeeMG
22-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Very difficult to compare the two really.

Obviously football is the bigger draw in Scotland. However you've got to factor in the run that Hibs have been on for 18 months or so and the fact that Edinburgh are playing in their version of the Champions League and doing really well in it.

jonny
22-01-2012, 05:50 PM
that wasn't a pop. i actually dont know how much they get. but a comparable fixture would need to be looked at

Celtic League games generally fluctuate between about 2500 and 4000 dependant on who Edinburgh are playing

DH1875
22-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Celtic League games generally fluctuate between about 2500 and 4000 dependant on who Edinburgh are playing

Exactly why there's no comparison. It would be like us playing Man Utd or City in the Champions league, you couldn't get a seat for love nor money.

madabouthibs
22-01-2012, 06:34 PM
If my son and I could get into ER for £20 a game we'd be there a lot more!

Jamesie
22-01-2012, 08:20 PM
They've put the Quarter Final tickets on sale tonight - £15 for adults, £10 for OAPs and £5 for students / kids - although the date has still to be determined!

LancashireHibby
22-01-2012, 09:01 PM
I very rarely watch rugby union but even I'm tempted to go to the Edinburgh-Toulouse game if it lands right to combine with the Motherwell game. Although I'd have liked Edinburgh to have been drawn away as I need a new excuse for my annual trip to Toulouse now that their rugby league team have returned to their domestic league!

burghhibs
22-01-2012, 09:11 PM
If my son and I could get into ER for £20 a game we'd be there a lot more!

Same here it can be an expensive for a afternoon or evening with the laddie :agree:

macd123
23-01-2012, 12:54 AM
It was a big game for Edinburgh against one of the best teams in England whereas it's been a pretty soul destroying 12 months going to Easter Road. One home win since February!

Andy74
23-01-2012, 08:25 AM

How about a bit of context in terms of the usual Edinburgh rugby crowd, despite Edinburgh being a predominantly rugby city?

I've been invited with work a couple of times. A couple of thousand people kicking about in a huge stadium.

I'm not sure they are really an example for anything.

H113EE5
23-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Having been a Eater Road season ticket holder for many, many years, over the past months, I get more excited, enthused and entertained watching Edinburgh Rugby than the dross served up at ER.

Jeeezz, just need to look at the way they prepare for the game, the way they warm up before substitutions and the general level of commitment and professionalism, it makes our players look like sSUnday morning amateurs, sorry the disrespect the morning footballers.

MrSmith
23-01-2012, 09:17 AM
How about a bit of context in terms of the usual Edinburgh rugby crowd, despite Edinburgh being a predominantly rugby city?

I've been invited with work a couple of times. A couple of thousand people kicking about in a huge stadium.

I'm not sure they are really an example for anything.

They are an example of how to promote and price a product that appeals to families. I have said this before, it costs me £30 to attend a rugby match with my 3 kids and still buy them crisps, juice etc. from them. And, at least the players try! Sorry of the bad pun!

Andy74
23-01-2012, 09:53 AM
They are an example of how to promote and price a product that appeals to families. I have said this before, it costs me £30 to attend a rugby match with my 3 kids and still buy them crisps, juice etc. from them. And, at least the players try! Sorry of the bad pun!

So the average crowd is what?

The Sea-gull
23-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Don't know a great deal about Scottish club rugby but is not fair to say that the Edinburgh rugby team for a game like this will get support/interest from rugby fans from all over Scotland and possibly beyond?

Football is so tribal that there aren't many neutrals who would have any interest in attending a Hibs game even at the best of times.

Pretty Boy
23-01-2012, 10:19 AM
So the average crowd is what?

The average crowd is around the 3000 Mark, piss poor in other words. But that's pro rugby in Scotland I think, come the 6 nations 68000 80 minute patriots will be packing put Murrayfield.

The point the OP was making and I would make is that Edinburgh are trying hard to make their games affordable and fun for spectators. £30 for an adult and 3 kids, you can barely get an adult into ER for that these days. Obviously there are legal issues to consider but letting the fans stand near the pitch and have a beer might just attract a few guys in to start off a Friday night out.

I'm not saying we should be comparing ourselves to Edinburgh rugby but a decent pricing structure and a wee bit fan friendliness has seen them rewarded with a couple of bumper crowds lately. Is be surprised if they get less than 15k for the Tolousse game. They appear to want to make it fun to attend a game, when was the last time you could say that about any football club?

Beefster
23-01-2012, 10:24 AM
The average crowd is around the 3000 Mark, piss poor in other words. But that's pro rugby in Scotland I think, come the 6 nations 68000 80 minute patriots will be packing put Murrayfield.

The point the OP was making and I would make is that Edinburgh are trying hard to make their games affordable and fun for spectators. £30 for an adult and 3 kids, you can barely get an adult into ER for that these days. Obviously there are legal issues to consider but letting the fans stand near the pitch and have a beer might just attract a few guys in to start off a Friday night out.

I'm not saying we should be comparing ourselves to Edinburgh rugby but a decent pricing structure and a wee bit fan friendliness has seen them rewarded with a couple of bumper crowds lately. Is be surprised if they get less than 15k for the Tolousse game. They appear to want to make it fun to attend a game, when was the last time you could say that about any football club?

I've banged on about this before. Hibs do nothing to attract kids and/or families beyond the Hibs kids free ticket four times a season. The days of football being the only option on a Saturday afternoon are long gone but I don't think football's woken up to that yet.

Andy74
23-01-2012, 10:25 AM

It was the fact they were both pretty big games compared to the usual. Even then, given the amount of rugby fans about, supposedly, the crowds are still fairly small.

The pricing is about the same for the games where they actually average less than 3,000.
As a club they also struggle to pay wages from their own revenue, quite a bit is picked up by the SRU. They also struggle to keep their best players.

Pricing is not, never has been the key to fans going to watch anything. Getting a team on the park, providing entertainment and also having the occassional big game are the things that work. I think it's also true that, on average Hibs fans pay, what was it, about £14 per game?

So, let's not have a lesson from Edinburgh Rugby with their less than 3,000 attendance over the fact that in one game they got a bigger crowd for one of their big events.

Andy74
23-01-2012, 10:29 AM
I've banged on about this before. Hibs do nothing to attract kids and/or families beyond the Hibs kids free ticket four times a season. The days of football being the only option on a Saturday afternoon are long gone but I don't think football's woken up to that yet.

What about the season ticket pricing for kids? Mine can get to every game and has cost me about £40 for the year was it?

Behind the goals is also an encouragment to bring kids along with the games at the side and cheap enough food available.

The Hibs kids thing is also a little better than just the four tickets with the newsletter, cards, panto, mascot, face painting and that type of thing.

I think we actually do not bad for kids and families, as i said in the other post I think the avearge a Hibs fan pays is about £14 as so many take advantage of family pricing.

This isn't counting whatever Hibs do with schools and tickets there which i think are about 500 per game.

Beefster
23-01-2012, 10:32 AM
It was the fact they were both pretty big games compared to the usual. Even then, given the amount of rugby fans about, supposedly, the crowds are still fairly small.

The pricing is about the same for the games where they actually average less than 3,000.
As a club they also struggle to pay wages from their own revenue, quite a bit is picked up by the SRU. They also struggle to keep their best players.

Pricing is not, never has been the key to fans going to watch anything. Getting a team on the park, providing entertainment and also having the occassional big game are the things that work. I think it's also true that, on average Hibs fans pay, what was it, about £14 per game?

So, let's not have a lesson from Edinburgh Rugby with their less than 3,000 attendance over the fact that in one game they got a bigger crowd for one of their big events.

An average family of four would pay a minimum of £84 (i.e. average of £21) for a Cat A game and £68 (£17 average) for a Cat B game. That's before any drinks, food, travel, programme, visit to the Hibs shop etc. Families can go to the museum, zoo, farms, park, cinema etc etc etc for a fraction of that.

Beefster
23-01-2012, 10:35 AM
What about the season ticket pricing for kids? Mine can get to every game and has cost me about £40 for the year was it?

Behind the goals is also an encouragment to bring kids along with the games at the side and cheap enough food available.

The Hibs kids thing is also a little better than just the four tickets with the newsletter, cards, panto, mascot, face painting and that type of thing.

I think we actually do not bad for kids and families, as i said in the other post I think the avearge a Hibs fan pays is about £14 as so many take advantage of family pricing.

This isn't counting whatever Hibs do with schools and tickets there which i think are about 500 per game.

You have to attract the families along before they will consider buying an ST. It might be a no-brainer for folk like you and I to get our kids into HKs, STs etc but, if we ever have any ambition of filling the stadium, we're going to need more than that.

Pretty Boy
23-01-2012, 10:40 AM

I'm assuming the £14 average is based on a family with a mix of adult and child season tickets?

It's completely impractical for me to have a season ticket at the moment sonfor me to attend our next 2 home games would be £22 for Aberdeen and £28 for Celtic. A bit more than £14.

Cost isnt the main factor in going to games and a winning team would lift crowds dramatically, but in the current economic climate i don't see much from Hibs or many other teams to try to tempt fans back. As Beefster says the days of football being the only option for a Saturday activity are long gone.

TheEastTerrace
23-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Edinburgh may cost less to watch but they are a heavy loss making venture propped up by the SRU (as are Glasgow). Whilst I don't agree with the cost of tickets to watch football in Scotland, Hibs don't have this luxury.

Bishop Hibee
23-01-2012, 10:42 AM
All this proves is that if you have a successful team, the crowds will follow. Given that a substantial percentage of kids from well off families in Edinburgh and its surrounds go to private schools I'm always surprised the rugby crowds aren't bigger.

HibbyDave
23-01-2012, 03:05 PM
I went to the Rugby as usual at the week-end.

On the way into the stadium I got talking to an older guy who said he played for HIBS for 16 years. His name was Johnny? Thomson ( Nickname Tiger). He was a gentleman who had never been to the rugby but had picked up on the local coverage and thought it worthwhile going along to see the match. He never goes to ER nowadays.

I could not remember him playing for Hibs so I guess he was a 50's-60's player. It was only a very short conversation but good to see an ex player in his old age looking so good and still interested in sport if not HIbs.

NAE NOOKIE
23-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Not sure there are any lessons to learn from Edinburgh rugby, they are well subsidised and the sort of money they need to run a professional rugby team is probably dwarfed by what Hibs need to spend to compete, even in a small league like the SPL.

I am pleased for the egg chasers who follow Edinburgh that they are doing so well and its always good to see a Scottish sports team doing well.

But as for any thought of kicking the Hibs into touch ( see what I did there ) to be a bandwagon jumper with Edinburgh rugby or Edinburgh Ice Hockey or Edinburgh Basketball or whatever.

No Chance.

GGTTH

:flag:

onfire
23-01-2012, 05:30 PM
I was at the game on Saturday and at yesterday's game - the rugby was by far the best. Being able to have a few beers at the game deffo helped also Edinburgh are playing really well.

I took the kids to the game on Saturday as they are Hibs kids, but apart from these games I don't take them - £12 quid each for a 5 and 8 year old - then £22 for me= way to much.

I do take the kids to the rugby, not all the time but £25 for us all is good value.

I'm still going to get my season ticket for ER next season no matter what, but I'm also considering a season ticket for Edinburgh. Works out about £10ish per game that way.

The big question is what would happen if Hibs and Edinburgh played on the same night!

Andy74
23-01-2012, 06:14 PM
I was at the game on Saturday and at yesterday's game - the rugby was by far the best. Being able to have a few beers at the game deffo helped also Edinburgh are playing really well.

I took the kids to the game on Saturday as they are Hibs kids, but apart from these games I don't take them - £12 quid each for a 5 and 8 year old - then £22 for me= way to much.

I do take the kids to the rugby, not all the time but £25 for us all is good value.

I'm still going to get my season ticket for ER next season no matter what, but I'm also considering a season ticket for Edinburgh. Works out about £10ish per game that way.

The big question is what would happen if Hibs and Edinburgh played on the same night!

If that's a big question I suggest you stick to the rugby.