PDA

View Full Version : Summer 16 team league

Jack
22-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Thoughts?

It would bring back the once a season importance of the big match so could improve attendances.

Look how the LOI coefficient and soared as ours has plummeted.

Revamp the League Cup to maintain the overall number of fixtures.

Revamp the League structure so that Junior and 'lesser' Senior clubs can enter into the top leagues through competition.

Allow clubs from the top flight to run B teams in the lower divisions as they do in Spain.

Sitting in a t-shirt in the sun instead of freezing your bollocks off.

More Saturday 3pm kick offs as the SPL wouldn't be competing with the EPL for TV times. Might also mean fewer noon kick offs on a Sunday for the same reason.

Sas_The_Hibby
22-01-2012, 03:45 PM
:agree:

Agree with most of this. Almost anything would be better than the present set up.

Definitely want a larger league, only playing teams twice. Merge English and Scottish League Cups at 'last eight' stage. Summer football seems all wrong, just because of what we're used to, but it may well be a good idea. Pyramid system - definitely.

Will any of it, apart from pyramid system, ever happen? Probably not, sadly.

Gatecrasher
22-01-2012, 03:49 PM
aye but sky will no be able to cream over the OF 4 times a year :rolleyes:

fwiw i left early on saturday because i was freezing my baws off, its no worth it

lucky
22-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Thoughts?

It would bring back the once a season importance of the big match so could improve attendances.

Revamp the League structure so that Junior and 'lesser' Senior clubs can enter into the top leagues through competition.

Allow clubs from the top flight to run B teams in the lower divisions as they do in Spain.

More Saturday 3pm kick offs as the SPL wouldn't be competing with the EPL for TV times. Might also mean fewer noon kick offs on a Sunday for the same reason.

100% yes. It's the only we might be in the top division

Alfred E Newman
22-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Thoughts?

Are we playing the games in another country then?

Jack
22-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Less cost to clubs for undersoil heating and floodlights.

Better pitches to play on.

The list of advantages goes on.

brianmc
22-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Surely more games would be moved for TV rather than fewer if sky didn't have EPL games to fill their schedule?

Jack
23-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Surely more games would be moved for TV rather than fewer if sky didn't have EPL games to fill their schedule?

Possibly, I was thinking the SPL would have a bigger say not having to work around the EPL schedule so games that did get moved would be at a more convenient time.

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2012, 11:39 AM
That was very cold on Saturday, losing was bad enough but sitting in that cold was difficult for me, i'd imagine kids and the elderly would not have enjoyed that one little bit?

Summer football imo is a no brainer, its a must for me.

Alfred E Newman
23-01-2012, 08:41 PM
That was very cold on Saturday, losing was bad enough but sitting in that cold was difficult for me, i'd imagine kids and the elderly would not have enjoyed that one little bit?

Summer football imo is a no brainer, its a must for me.
Saw one young guy in Easter Road after the match wearing a short sleeved Hibs top!! Like most of my generation I dressed according to the weather conditions and never felt the cold. Any pain I felt was down to the stuff on the park.

Sunny1875
24-01-2012, 04:59 AM
Yep would rather watch, my football in the warm July rain than the freezing wind and sleet of a Scottish midwinter.

Would also like to see a 16 team top flight so we had some variety. Also a 16 team second Division. 2 up 2 down and the next two in each league into a playoff draw.

A way for the non league clubs to step up into the big setup .....YES

Possibly even regional leagues at the bottom end allowing the top teams to have a side in these leagues in place of reserve football. This would also save money for the smaller clubs with less travelling and possibly bigger supports if they had more local teams to face... Yes

It all makes perfect sense to me, but I am a football fan so my opinion counts for very little with those who are in charge of the Scottish game.

HibeeMG
24-01-2012, 05:17 AM
I'll be honest and say that I was dead against playing summer football. I think, though, that I was just stuck in my ways and didn't want change. As I've got older I can see the advantages of it and think it's the way to go now.

One question though. What would be the best way to transfer our season over to a summer one?

We couldn't just go from one season to another without a break. Also we can't take a break of a year before starting again. I think it would have to be a gradual process with the season's starting later and later over a five year period until they eventually start at the right time.

HH81
24-01-2012, 05:39 AM
I'll be honest and say that I was dead against playing summer football. I think, though, that I was just stuck in my ways and didn't want change. As I've got older I can see the advantages of it and think it's the way to go now.

One question though. What would be the best way to transfer our season over to a summer one?

We couldn't just go from one season to another without a break. Also we can't take a break of a year before starting again. I think it would have to be a gradual process with the season's starting later and later over a five year period until they eventually start at the right time.

They did it in super league (rugby league) down here so might be worth looking at that.

What I think they did was play a compacted season (aug-dec) then had a break and started the summer one in Feb.

huggie1875
24-01-2012, 06:53 AM
aye but sky will no be able to cream over the OF 4 times a year :rolleyes:

fwiw i left early on saturday because i was freezing my baws off, its no worth it

i think it may appeal a wee bit to sky alot of folk i know cancel the sports package at the end of
the season might keep alot of folk subscribed

marinello59
24-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Summer football is the only way we will stop the game in this country sliding further behind everybody else. It will happen eventually.

down-the-slope
24-01-2012, 07:17 AM
can a proponent explain what 'summer' would be? (dates etc) as its often said as if there is a common understanding of what the term means when i don't think there is

Jack
24-01-2012, 07:33 AM
can a proponent explain what 'summer' would be? (dates etc) as its often said as if there is a common understanding of what the term means when i don't think there is

In the same way as we don't play in the 'summer' now we wouldn't play in the 'winter' in future.

There are a few summer leagues out there, the LOI would be a decent place to look for dates and how it works.

Same with transition. I think the biggest challenge will be getting a commitment from the clubs. Once there is that commitment looking around for examples of what did work and what didn't should make it as trouble free as possible.

Cocohibby
24-01-2012, 07:42 AM
Feb to Nov - having a break over Dec and Jan would avoid some of the worst weather. Could improve attendances during the other cold months.:dunno:

dangermouse
24-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Feb to Nov - having a break over Dec and Jan would avoid some of the worst weather. Could improve attendances during the other cold months.:dunno:

At least that way the Scottish Cup Final wouldn't have to be moved due to clashing with the CL final. :greengrin

greenginger
24-01-2012, 08:25 AM
I think there is a serious possibility of league reconstruction this year thanks to H. M. Revenue and Customs.

If Rangers loose the Big Tax Case and the bill is anywhere near the £ 49 million that is being talked about then liquidation would be the only outcome for the existing Rangers F C and a New Rangers would have to formed.

Any new Club would have to apply to the League and if accepted start in Div 3. so no Old Firm games for 4 years and an end to present T V contracts. Deals will be done to keep new Gers in the top flight and enlarging the league may be the price the SPL has to pay to keep the T V money.

It also might be the only thing that saves us from RELEGATION !!!!!!!!:wink:

HibeeMG
24-01-2012, 08:54 AM
I think there is a serious possibility of league reconstruction this year thanks to H. M. Revenue and Customs.

If Rangers loose the Big Tax Case and the bill is anywhere near the £ 49 million that is being talked about then liquidation would be the only outcome for the existing Rangers F C and a New Rangers would have to formed.

Any new Club would have to apply to the League and if accepted start in Div 3. so no Old Firm games for 4 years and an end to present T V contracts. Deals will be done to keep new Gers in the top flight and enlarging the league may be the price the SPL has to pay to keep the T V money.

Even if Rangers did have to reform, do you really think that the league wouldn't let them just take over from where they left off? There will be some clause somewhere to justify it.

Anyway, league reconstruction hasn't got anything to do with moving to summer football.

Cocohibby
24-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Even if Rangers did have to reform, do you really think that the league wouldn't let them just take over from where they left off? There will be some clause somewhere to justify it.

Anyway, league reconstruction hasn't got anything to do with moving to summer football.

Surely if Rangers were to re-form it would make sense for them to join the English league.....just throwing that out there but maybe more appropriate for a new thread:wink:

WindyMiller
24-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Thoughts?

Less cost to clubs for undersoil heating and floodlights.

Better pitches to play on.

The list of advantages goes on.

Yep would rather watch, my football in the warm July rain than the freezing wind and sleet of a Scottish midwinter.

Would also like to see a 16 team top flight so we had some variety. Also a 16 team second Division. 2 up 2 down and the next two in each league into a playoff draw.

A way for the non league clubs to step up into the big setup .....YES

Possibly even regional leagues at the bottom end allowing the top teams to have a side in these leagues in place of reserve football. This would also save money for the smaller clubs with less travelling and possibly bigger supports if they had more local teams to face... Yes

It all makes perfect sense to me, but I am a football fan so my opinion counts for very little with those who are in charge of the Scottish game.

Summer football is the only way we will stop the game in this country sliding further behind everybody else. It will happen eventually.

Ozyhibby
24-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Because summer football makes perfect sense, it will never be adopted in Scotland.

Ozyhibby
24-01-2012, 01:04 PM
If Rangers are to be allowed back into the SPL then they will need the votes of 10 of the remaining 11 clubs. The team about to be relegated will almost certainly vote against which means they will be relying heavily on everyone else. Expect a lot of horse trading before a deal is eventually done.

Lofarl
24-01-2012, 01:19 PM
I read a small article in the Sunday Post regarding Rangers and the possibility of liquidation. It seems that this happened a while ago to Parma FC and guess what happened to them. That's right, they simply reformed under a slightly different name and stayed in the top league, hell they even played in Europe.

They did start the next season with a -10 point penalty mind you. So seeing as the SFA looked at this. Do you honestly think they will boot Rangers down to the Third Divison and scrap the Sky deal that we have? Thought not.

The only thing that will save us from relegation is ourselves, frankly if we continue in this terrible form we deserve it. Yes league reconstruction is a good idea, but it's clutching at straws to think that it or the financial plight of Rangers or Hearts will save us going down.

Jack
24-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Lofarl, as far as I'm concerned this has nothing to do with our current plight.

Stonewall
24-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Well I'm quite enjoying this season. Every game now means something which you couldn't say about a 16 team league where there would be far too many meaningless games

It also wouldn't be worth keeping up my seasn ticket as with holidays and other stuff I chose to do in the summer I would go to fewer games.

Ozyhibby
24-01-2012, 02:08 PM
I read a small article in the Sunday Post regarding Rangers and the possibility of liquidation. It seems that this happened a while ago to Parma FC and guess what happened to them. That's right, they simply reformed under a slightly different name and stayed in the top league, hell they even played in Europe.

They did start the next season with a -10 point penalty mind you. So seeing as the SFA looked at this. Do you honestly think they will boot Rangers down to the Third Divison and scrap the Sky deal that we have? Thought not.

The only thing that will save us from relegation is ourselves, frankly if we continue in this terrible form we deserve it. Yes league reconstruction is a good idea, but it's clutching at straws to think that it or the financial plight of Rangers or Hearts will save us going down.

The SFA don't control the SPL. There are lots of things we do differently from the Italians. I'm not saying they won't get back in, just that the other clubs may extract a heavy price including a more equal distribution of Tv money.