PDA

View Full Version : NHC Madejski sells out

Caversham Green
22-01-2012, 09:46 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2089667/Reading-40m-takeover-Russian-tycoon.html

Sir John Madeski made his fortune from a motor industry-related trade, rescued his local football club following an attempted merger by their 'bigger' local rivals (who were owned by a fat, obnoxious piece of sh*t who has since had the good grace to die) and has been willing to sell them on ever since if the right buyer came along.

Sounds familiar, but is a Russian billionaire the right buyer? I suppose it depends whether he's Abramovic or Romanov.

Do I feel excited/happy/enthusiastic about it? Not even remotely. I don't regard myself as a Reading fan even though I watch them every other week, but I do have a soft spot for the club - partly because of the events described above. I feel the club could lose a lot of their soul and character as a result of this - much more so than their move to a modern out of town stadium. I hope I'm wrong.

To put some direct Hibs content in, I wouldn't be averse to STF selling to the right people, but I would be very nervous if he did something like this.

Sammy7nil
22-01-2012, 09:52 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2089667/Reading-40m-takeover-Russian-tycoon.html

Sir John Madeski made his fortune from a motor industry-related trade, rescued his local football club following an attempted merger by their 'bigger' local rivals (who were owned by a fat, obnoxious piece of sh*t who has since had the good grace to die) and has been willing to sell them on ever since if the right buyer came along.

Sounds familiar, but is a Russian billionaire the right buyer? I suppose it depends whether he's Abramovic or Romanov.

Do I feel excited/happy/enthusiastic about it? Not even remotely. I don't regard myself as a Reading fan even though I watch them every other week, but I do have a soft spot for the club - partly because of the events described above. I feel the club could lose a lot of their soul and character as a result of this - much more so than their move to a modern out of town stadium. I hope I'm wrong.

To put some direct Hibs content in, I wouldn't be averse to STF selling to the right people, but I would be very nervous if he did something like this.

The Russian guy has lived in Reading for years he knows all about Reading and the local community.Sir John Madeski is staying on the board for a minimum of 2 more years after which he will be made a life time non executive member of the board. I think he has done exactly the right thing.

Caversham Green
22-01-2012, 10:01 AM
The Russian guy has lived in Reading for years he knows all about Reading and the local community.Sir John Madeski is staying on the board for a minimum of 2 more years after which he will be made a life time non executive member of the board. I think he has done exactly the right thing.

All fair points, and I'm probably being a bit of a drama queen, but I doubt if Madejski will be anything more than a figurehead. It's more the loss of the club's identity I'm concerned about - I don't want them to become another Man City (or Blackburn/Portsmouth come to that) and football-wise I prefer the Championship to the EPL.

I'd never heard of Zingarevich before despite his Reading connections - I suspect that's probably a good thing.

Caversham Green
22-01-2012, 10:16 AM
It seems he was connected with investing in Everton seven years ago - when he was 22 years old. Sounds like his daddy's the real rich one though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2385345/Kenwright-lauds-Evertons-Russian-saviour.html