PDA

View Full Version : Bucking the trend, I actually thought we played quite well

Hibbyradge
22-01-2012, 10:09 AM
We were the better team in the first half, certainly until they scored and we didn't deserve to be a goal down at half time.

St J dominated after the break but we came right back into it.

However, we can't defend. I've had my doubts about Paul Hanlon for a while now, but kept my own council as I was desperately hoping he'd become a star so I didn't criticise him publicly.

However, I have come to the conclusion that he doesn't actually give us anything.

Our full backs look poor because they get no help from the midfield. Time and time again, Hart and Booth looked lost because no one was making themselves available for an easy pass.

Most of St Js attack came down our left making Booth look poor. While he isn't the best defender in the world, this wasn't all hit fault. Sproule doesn't track back enough so our left is vulnerable.

Have a look at their first goal. Ivan runs with the goal scorer for about 5 yards then gives up. Had he continued, he might have been able to intercept the rebound or at least put a challenge in. In fact, the boy strolled through on his own, scored and made our defence look awful again.

If we can fix there things, we'll progress. If not, I think we'll go down.

Scouse Hibee
22-01-2012, 10:15 AM
We were the better team in the first half, certainly until they scored and we didn't deserve to be a goal down at half time.

St J dominated after the break but we came right back into it.

However, we can't defend. I've had my doubts about Paul Hanlon for a while now, but kept my own council as I was desperately hoping he'd become a star so I didn't criticise him publicly.

However, I have come to the conclusion that he doesn't actually give us anything.

Our full backs look poor because they get no help from the midfield. Time and time again, Hart and Booth looked lost because no one was making themselves available for an easy pass.

Most of St Js attack came down our left making Booth look poor. While he isn't the best defender in the world, this wasn't all hit fault. Sproule doesn't track back enough so ourour left is vulnerable.

Have a look at their first goal. Ivan runs with the goal scorer for about 5 yards then gives up. Had if continued, if might have been able uninterested the rebound or at lecturing tut a challenge in. In fact, the boy strolled through on his own, scored and made our defence look awful again.

If we can fix there things, we'll progress. If not, I think we'll go down.

I get your point but we win or lose as a team not just the defence or individual poor performances, so as the defence are crap as are certain individuals the team are too...................unfortunately.

Hibbyradge
22-01-2012, 10:17 AM
I get your point but we win or lose as a team not just the defence or individual poor performances, so as the defence are crap as are certain individuals the team are too...................unfortunately.

I agree. I don't think our defenders are particularly good, but they need the midfield to support them and that doesn't happen often enough.

3pm
22-01-2012, 10:22 AM
I agree. I don't think our defenders are particularly good, but they need the midfield to support them and that doesn't happen often enough.

It's not just ability, it's desire as well.

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Middle to front we didn't do too badly, taking into account that Sproule and Garry O had real shockers. Relatively happy that what we have can be shuffled around but the back four negate against anything we do.

Sammy7nil
22-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Losing 3 goals (it could have been 6 goals) at home to St johnstone if that is us playing well god help us.

hibsbollah
22-01-2012, 10:34 AM
I understand what youre saying and some of the movement and passing in their half was intelligent and incisive. We ARE improving since Calderwood, but you cant legislate for some of the windaelicking individual errors we keep making at the back.

Overall, i just dont think Hibs under Fenlons been getting the breaks.

SMAXXA
22-01-2012, 10:37 AM

I agree with this, there were prominant gaps between defence and midfield yesterday, not sure if it was because midfield not tracjing or the defence not pushing up enough or a combination of both. To be fair I think their 2 strikers tended to drop deep and look to take the ball in and turn, everytime they had a go at us with the ball on the deck we looked vulnerable. We donmt have one good solid defended at the club each have their failings and well put them together and what do we get......exactly what we are witnessing.Replace them or the majority of them or we are doomed IMO.

Also another sidenote, how about we consider sending the likes of Spoony and Hanlon out on loan, maybe regain confidence if thats what is the issue, obviously only if we can bring 3 or 4 defenders in. I know abit radical but if the management think there are players in there, not that im sure there is, could be a shout?

macca70
22-01-2012, 10:53 AM
I sometimes wonder if I was at the same game when I read comments on here.

Defence was a shambles, we were over run in midfield, GOC lost possession everytime the ball was given to him, Ivan was non existent, they ripped us to shreds down our left side, could have been 6 down by half time and we were lucky to get a penalty.

But folk saying we played quite well!!! I think that is a massive reflection on how depressing it has been is past months rather than us looking any good yesterday.

I thought Griffiths looked good and yesterday was the perfect example of why Booth is a left midfielder and not a left back.

Hibbyradge
22-01-2012, 10:55 AM

Defence was a shambles, we were over run in midfield, GOC lost possession everytime the ball was given to him, Ivan was non existent, they ripped us to shreds down our left side, could have been 6 down by half time and we were lucky to get a penalty.

But folk saying we played quite well!!! I think that is a massive reflection on how depressing it has been is past months rather than us looking any good yesterday.

I thought Griffiths looked good and yesterday was the perfect example of why Booth is a left midfielder and not a left back.

Will you ever be able to forgive me? :rolleyes:

Hibbyradge
22-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Losing 3 goals (it could have been 6 goals) at home to St johnstone if that is us playing well god help us.

I haven't been to see them at ER for ages and I remember how awful we were then, but I definitely saw improvement in shape and organisation.

Yes, we defended naively, O'Connor was way off the pace and Ivan was poor, but we could have had a point against a very capable St Johnstone side.

skipster7
22-01-2012, 11:00 AM

6 goals :confused: nothing in it first half.

500miles
22-01-2012, 11:03 AM
We are fragile at the back, but overall i felt it was an improved performance from CC's days. We looked dangerous going forward and scoring goals without relying on O'Connor.

Progress is gradual, and will have setbacks, but change is definately happening.

macca70
22-01-2012, 11:05 AM
6 goals :confused: nothing in it first half.

Nothing in it?! They absolutely ripped us up for arse paper down our left side everytime they came forward.

machibby
22-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Afraid to say overall we deserved nothing from this game and bar some good saves from brown and poor finishing from St.j we could have been embarrassed by the score line. I think we all know that our survival is down to what happens between now and the transfer close. All I saw yesterday was a glaring example of everything that is good and BAD about our team. Positives - sparky looked good, and had he had someone with a bit more desire next to him could have done more. Stevenson showed absolute desire and showed how to getstuck in and tackle. Hart (controversial I know) played pretty well and seems to be improving with his fitness.

Sadly for me those positives are out weighed by so many negatives. Three players in defence that are clearly not good enough for their jobs- Hanlon, Booth and Stephens. Booth as said wasn't helped by Ivan who should be no where near the starting 11, but he is a poor defender and out muscled constantly. Would like to see him used from the bench as an attacking left mf and developed in that position rather than ripped apart at LB. Back to Ivan, the first time at Hibs his worth was what he gave us in attack against his defensive shortcomings made him worth a jersey, since his return he offers little going forward. GO'C slow, uninterested and the control and touch of a donkey.

This team playing in that manner will take us down

Aldo
22-01-2012, 11:20 AM
That's the problem TBH we are not a TEAM. Posts about guys giving up and not trying. If this is indeed the case then they should be no where near the team or jjersey.

We need guys who are up for it the minute they step onto the pitch till the final whistle. If they are not prepared to do that then the can GTF. Pretty harsh words but heat that's what I think.

I feel really sorry for a couple if them cis they are trying but 2 or 3 don't make a team.

Not looking for world beaters but guys who can come in play in a team and try and fight for everything.

PF was prob raging at them hence the reason he didn't speak to the media... Prob the right decision.

Really do hope we get a couple if leaders/organisers in before the window closes.

overdrive
22-01-2012, 11:27 AM
I would agree that I thought we were ok up to the fist goal. However, after that we seemed to lose all confidence, gave up and reverted to our usual selves.

I also don't think GO'C was as bad as is being made out. Not saying he was good but not awful. I don't get this Doyle love-in in the context of the slating GO'C has been getting. I didn't think he was any better.

Sas_The_Hibby
22-01-2012, 11:28 AM
I agree, to a certain extent, with the op: we were better than earlier in the season and, of course the defence let us down. However, in saying that we did not bad going forward, how many saves did we make their keeper make? Compare this with the number of times Brown saved us.

GreenPJ
22-01-2012, 11:59 AM
We played most of the game with 9 players as O'Conner in particular in addition to non performances by Sproule and Francombe meant we were always up against it. Add to that Booth being bullied by Croft all the way through the first half we were always going to be up against it.

Ironically I never thought we were out of the game or being completely outplayed as we have been by the likes of Motherwell at ER not that long ago. We desperately need a Pressley type character at the heart of our defence to help out Hanlon/Stephens and we need a centre forward who is fit and mobile, if we had more of a mobile centre forward. Defend from the front and our midfield and defenders would not be under constant pressure.

I do believe Fenlon will get it right, just hope its still in the SPL.

Tyler Durden
22-01-2012, 12:01 PM
I would agree that I thought we were ok up to the fist goal. However, after that we seemed to lose all confidence, gave up and reverted to our usual selves.

I also don't think GO'C was as bad as is being made out. Not saying he was good but not awful. I don't get this Doyle love-in in the context of the slating GO'C has been getting. I didn't think he was any better.

I watched the game on some foreign stream with english commentary. The commentator was obviously neutral, not sure of his knowledge of SPL football or O'Connor. However he couldn't help but comment on how bad GOC's first touch and general performance was - it was glaringly obvious. In saying that, GOC was not alone in his slack passing as I lost count of how many passes were behind players or actually just right out the park.

Doyle looked lively and had that great run and cross for Griffiths, so that's probably where he earned his positive reviews.

Northernhibee
22-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Quite honestly, Ithink we need one new CB that's a leader, the big Jonesy type, and a new LB to get Booth into LM.

Some leadership at the back, if Goodwin comes in it'll take a fair bit of strain off, I think we'll be fine.

If anything, I think we'll be fine if we had:

-------------------Brown--------------------

Francombe---new CB---Hanlon--------New LB

Sproule------Goodwin----Ozzy---------Booth

--------Doyle-----------Griffiths-------------

I genuinely think we're not hugely off - a couple of leader types at the back and Goodwin in midfield, I think we'll be doing just fine.

Andy74
22-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Quite honestly, Ithink we need one new CB that's a leader, the big Jonesy type, and a new LB to get Booth into LM.

Some leadership at the back, if Goodwin comes in it'll take a fair bit of strain off, I think we'll be fine.

If anything, I think we'll be fine if we had:

-------------------Brown--------------------

Francombe---new CB---Hanlon--------New LB

Sproule------Goodwin----Ozzy---------Booth

--------Doyle-----------Griffiths-------------

I genuinely think we're not hugely off - a couple of leader types at the back and Goodwin in midfield, I think we'll be doing just fine.

We also need better than Sproule. But I think you are right. A couple of solid leaders down the spine of the team would make a big difference.

We are actually getting forward and creating now but we need to score three every week just to keep in games.

Eganov
22-01-2012, 01:09 PM
There has definitely been improvement since PF took over which is encouraging considering the shambles he inherited.

Atleast we're scoring goals now

MagicSwirlingShip
22-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Just a few thoughts on yesterday;

Stephens has had a decent run in the team, but needs to be replaced and used primarily as a back up. He was absolutely murder yesterday, has the turning circle of a 18 wheeler, and zero positional sense. It amazes me he seems happy to give his marker 4 or 5 yards space from him, when its not as if he has any pace whatsoever to make the ground back up.

Hanlon has moments where he looks like he could be a decent centre half, but consistently makes silly mistakes. If we are going to persevere with him at CB he needs an experienced player beside him to talk him through games. Hibs are crying out for a Gary Smith type at the moment IMO.

Francombe looks a decent player, he really impressed me at East End Park. He was taking up good positions yesterday, but no-one was willing to give him it. Instead we focused all our first half attacks down the left, where Ivan is absolutely clueless and totally stifles Booth's desire to get forward and create. The difference in our play once Ivan was replaced with Galbraith wasn't a fluke. They linked up pretty well and caused the St.Johnstone defence problems.

Big Garry wasn't at the races yesterday, he seems to have days where the ball just doesn't stick to him.

Griffiths is our main danger man at the moment, he looks strong holding the ball up, turns well, and seems to be the main target for attention from opposing centre halfs.

EasterRoad4Ever
22-01-2012, 01:25 PM
There has definitely been improvement since PF took over which is encouraging considering the shambles he inherited.

Atleast we're scoring goals now

Agree, but our defending is such that EVERY team we play must feel like they can score goals against us. That in itself is a problem.

I remember when Easter Road used to be a fortress, when even the OF used to hate coming to play us. Now, teams are devastated if they don't beat us and usually lose ground against their main competition in the SPL.

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2012, 04:50 PM
I can see what Dave is saying, i also believe there's a little progress and we sort of have a shape to our play now. The problem is we just dont have the players with enough quality to win enough games, especially when playing teams who clearly have better players.

We have full backs who are poor defenders, a couple of central defenders who are slower than i think should be, not commanding enough, easily bullied and make more than their fair share of mistakes.

Our midfield have two wide men who dont go past therir opponents, Ozzy looks a prospect, hopefully will improve. And Stevenson who is a trier, but imo clearly not good enough, just a 100% player with limited ability.

Up front Garry O'Conner just has no ability other than putting the ball in the net, and is like playing with a man short, well several really when you count the others. How i wish we had a player like Chris Killen, someone who could hold the ball up and let the team get further up the park, and support the forwards. Griffiths was good yesterday, and in the form he is in at the moment essential he keeps fit if we are to keep scoring.

greenlex
22-01-2012, 04:53 PM
A St Johnstone team that have been beaten away from home just once this season? By us no less!!!!!!!!

brog
22-01-2012, 07:37 PM
I agree with much of what the OP says. For most of the 1st half, & certainly until the goal, we were the better team. At the time I thought GOC was onside & tv evidence now seems to support that so again we've been on the end of a major wrong decision. Croft got a lucky break for his goal after an excellent block by Hanlon & Croft was lucky still to be on the park, just look at his relieved reaction. We also fought hard, created a number of decent opportunities & scored a fine goal. Griffiths was excellent throughout.
That's the good news, the bad news is we were a shambles at the back but as a couple of other posters have said this came from 2 main areas. 1) Ivan's lack of support for Booth leaving the young lad horribly exposed at times & 2) the nightmare that is David Stephens. I've been watching Hibs for well over 50 years & that boy's performance yesterday was up with the worst I've ever seen. I feel sorry for him as a young player but he's out of his depth.
I've argued for months that a strong keeper is a major priority, I still think that though Brown was decent yesterday but there's no doubt now that a proper CH is our#1 priority. Oh for a John McNamee to get that lot sorted!
Going forward IMO Ivan can only be used as an impact sub & Stephens should go out on loan so we're not tempted to use him again! However I did like a good deal of what I saw & there is potential there, remember, at the end of the game 7 of the 10 outfield players were 22 or younger. The problem is we may not have time to realise that potential.

KeithTheHibby
22-01-2012, 07:48 PM

Bang on the money with that comment.

Remember when Gareth Bale joined Spurs and they played him LB? He was utter useless. Move him to LM and he is a superstar.

Now before I get dogs I am not suggesting Booth is anywhere near Bale but you can see in his game that he is excellent going forward and if played there could go on and make a real difference in a position that we have struggled to fill in recent years.

matty_f
22-01-2012, 08:05 PM
I agree we were playing ok for most of the match. We didn't deserve to be a goal down in the first half imho.The biggest issue is that we defend so poorly that the performance gets lost as all the focus goes on basic errors that are costing us multiple goals every game.
Until that is sorted out we could play like Barca for most of the game and still look gash.

Northernhibee
22-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Right now, I'd go with (assumg we get Goodwin):

-------------------Stack--------------------------
Francombe-------McPake-----Stephens-----Hanlon

Spoony--------Ozzy-----Goodwin--------Booth

-----------Gaz-------------Doyle------------
or Sparky
McPake will steady the likes of Stephens, if we get him Goodwin he would free up Ozzy to create more problems, Booth into LM, that's a team good enough to stay up.

ahibby
23-01-2012, 02:08 PM
I don't see it exactly like the o.p. It looked to me that St Js game plan was to keep it really tight for the first twenty minutes and hit us on the break and to me although we had more chances they had more quality in attack. I'm not saying they let us attack as much as we did, but they did expect it from a team desperate to get points on the board. We didn't have the quality to make it count so I don't think we were better. Neither did we have the quality in defence. I'd say PH cost us the first goal going to ground needlessly the way he did. I blame him and Stephens for the second Hanlon ducked under the ball with a St J player goal side of him and Stephens was statuesque thereafter and for their third. I'm guessing we have one of the youngest sides out their just now with our experience coming from GOC, Sproule, Stevenson and Hart. That doesn't exactly fill you with confidence does it?

steakbake
23-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Barring an atrocious defence, I was left thinking that PF's team would probably beat a Calderwood team - as long as they scored first ;-)

Elephant Stone
23-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Our second goal was nice but apart from that there's no way I'd say we were even close to playing well. Even ignoring the atrocious defending we are still miles away, there's so little coming from the midfield, especially the wings- we could probably have played with no wingers at all on Saturday and the game wouldn't have been much different. Lots of new players and hard work required.

brog
23-01-2012, 05:23 PM
I don't see it exactly like the o.p. It looked to me that St Js game plan was to keep it really tight for the first twenty minutes and hit us on the break and to me although we had more chances they had more quality in attack. I'm not saying they let us attack as much as we did, but they did expect it from a team desperate to get points on the board. We didn't have the quality to make it count so I don't think we were better. Neither did we have the quality in defence. I'd say PH cost us the first goal going to ground needlessly the way he did. I blame him and Stephens for the second Hanlon ducked under the ball with a St J player goal side of him and Stephens was statuesque thereafter and for their third. I'm guessing we have one of the youngest sides out their just now with our experience coming from GOC, Sproule, Stevenson and Hart. That doesn't exactly fill you with confidence does it?

IMO that's extremely harsh - Stephens misheaded the ball straight to Croft then backed off, as he did all game. Hanlon took the responsibility to close Croft down & made an excellent block only for the ball to rebound of Croft & sit up nicely for him. We're a poor team but we're not getting many breaks.

greenlex
23-01-2012, 05:26 PM
IMO that's extremely harsh - Stephens misheaded the ball straight to Croft then backed off, as he did all game. Hanlon took the responsibility to close Croft down & made an excellent block only for the ball to rebound of Croft & sit up nicely for him. We're a poor team but we're not getting many breaks.

Yup Centre backs throwing their body on the line is exactly what we need now. Croft got his second break of the game of that and scored with that break. The first was staying on the park.

Hibbyradge
23-01-2012, 05:34 PM
I don't see it exactly like the o.p. It looked to me that St Js game plan was to keep it really tight for the first twenty minutes and hit us on the break and to me although we had more chances they had more quality in attack. I'm not saying they let us attack as much as we did, but they did expect it from a team desperate to get points on the board. We didn't have the quality to make it count so I don't think we were better. Neither did we have the quality in defence.

I'd say PH cost us the first goal going to ground needlessly the way he did. I blame him and Stephens for the second Hanlon ducked under the ball with a St J player goal side of him and Stephens was statuesque thereafter and for their third. I'm guessing we have one of the youngest sides out their just now with our experience coming from GOC, Sproule, Stevenson and Hart. That doesn't exactly fill you with confidence does it?

That's well off the mark.

It was a brave block and he was unfortunate that the rebound went straight back to the striker.

What was criminal was Sproule's half hearted attempt to track him back. He must have ran a full 5 yards then gave up.

If he'd continued running with him, 1. he might have been able to put in a challenge before the initial shot was made and 2. he might have been able to pick up the rebound from Hanlon.

IWasThere2016
23-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Yup Centre backs throwing their body on the line is exactly what we need now. Croft got his second break of the game of that and scored with that break. The first was staying on the park.

Powder puff header from a CH, midfield not goal side and immediately they have 5 on 4 .. Cue goal!

'Playing well' starts from the back and doing the basics - I don't see that in us at all.

Hibbyradge
23-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Powder puff header from a CH, midfield not goal side and immediately they have 5 on 4 .. Cue goal!

'Playing well' starts from the back and doing the basics - I don't see that in us at all.

It probably looked different on the highlights. :wink:

If you read the whole OP, you'll see a whole bunch of caveats in there.

And I said "quite well" not that we "played well". I meant as opposed to all the woe which was on the other threads.

I did say that we were poor defensively, but I enjoyed the game and we were a whole load better than when I was last at Easter Road.

Yes, there were horrible defensive errors, but we looked stronger in the middle and there was more shape and determination than I've seen for a while.

greenlex
23-01-2012, 06:24 PM

I actually thought Stephens was fouled as he went for the header. Had an excellent view from where I was.

IWasThere2016
23-01-2012, 07:31 PM
I actually thought Stephens was fouled as he went for the header. Had an excellent view from where I was.

Having watched the entire game, and previous recent matches I'd like to see our defenders attack the ball. The number of piss poor defensive headers is staggering IMHO.

down the slope
23-01-2012, 07:50 PM

Not often i agree with you Lex but i thought Stevens was fouled before the ball landed in the middle for the first goal, i spoke to someone who watched the game on Alba and he thought we were awful and i have to agree to an extent but what you could not see on on the box was there seemed to be a wee bit of spirit in the team but that was knocked out of them after losing the third so quickly. I think we made more chances on Saturday than most of the other home games put together so maybe there is a wee bit of hope. I was keeping an eye on Hart and he had one of his best games now that he is up to speed or what passes for speed, a few times he lost the ball on the halfway line and i noticed him literally strolling back when he should have been bursting a gut to lend a hand, he will have to go, as for the young centre backs ...well they need a rest from taking the flack that they get, another one needed in there.