PDA

View Full Version : Hanlon

h1bs4life
21-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Under another new manager he seems to be 1st pick. Not good enough easily knocked off the ball seems he is untouchable.Defence has been murder for last few years probably since he has been part of it.

Hibby Bairn
21-01-2012, 07:16 PM
i genuinely think Paul played OK today. Was pulled out left a lot to cover for Booth and did OK there. Won most headers. Distribution was good or very good. Yes he should have done better at 3rd goal...but also and excellent finish. The 2nd goal was Stephens fault no question (unless Brown was playing mute). What he was doing I'll never know.

I don't think Paul is a poor player at all. Several hibs managers fron Mixu onwards and Billy Stark would suggest this as well.

Hibs just have a very young defence. I think we need a real hard man sitting right in front of it.

stanton10
21-01-2012, 07:22 PM
i genuinely think Paul played OK today. Was pulled out left a lot to cover for Booth and did OK there. Won most headers. Distribution was good or very good. Yes he should have done better at 3rd goal...but also and excellent finish. The 2nd goal was Stephens fault no question (unless Brown was playing mute). What he was doing I'll never know.

I don't think Paul is a poor player at all. Several hibs managers fron Mixu onwards and Billy Stark would suggest this as well.

Hibs just have a very young defence. I think we need a real hard man sitting right in front of it.

Yes and the several managers have all been fergies.

Beefster
21-01-2012, 07:22 PM
I think that if Hanlon had been bought from another club, rather than coming through the ranks, he'd be up there with Hart, Sproule and Galbriath in the Hibs fans' affections.

The integral part of one of the worst SPL defences over the last two years.

muzzhfc
21-01-2012, 07:32 PM
thing is though, who do we have to replace ANY of our defenders? well theres; . . . and . . . and . . . oh yeah and theres . . .
we could put in some of the young boys. and if things dont improve? the fans get on their backs and slate them. their confidence goes and then they are "not good enough" . . .

Gala Foxes
21-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Sandaza & Huber ran the Hibs defence ragged all day, finding space, switching between each other - our guys seem a yard off the pace right across the back four, unable to concentrate & reluctant to put a challenge in

Jody Morris strolled through the game

The Voice Of Reason
21-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Just watched the game on Alba - Hanlon was at fault for their 2nd and 3rd goals IMHO (albeit Stephens was murder for their 2nd also).

Hanlon unfortunately is one of many gash players at our club - simply not good enough.

Northfield Hibby
21-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Just watched the game on Alba - Hanlon was at fault for their 2nd and 3rd goals IMHO (albeit Stephens was murder for their 2nd also).

Hanlon unfortunately is one of many gash players at our club - simply not good enough.

Hanlon is a tidy player, but not tough or good enough to play in the centre of defence. Sandaza and Habber bossed him and Stephens for the whole game. We need a couple of centre halfs like Rae or Jones, no nonsense players that know what to do, nice and simple stuff, but can handle themselves.

SMAXXA
21-01-2012, 09:05 PM

:agree::top marks

I was at the game and came back and watched it on Alba aswell, we have said for long enough Hanlon cant cope when he comes up against big centre forwards and today well you dont get much bigger than Fran and Haber. I have praised Stephens alot recently but today he was as bad if not worse than Hanlon. We could easily ditch the whole back four and probably be no weaker. I like Booth but hes not a great defender, worth a shout in midfield cause Sproule is murder aswell.

Back to topic, I also agree PH has been a constant in Hibs having the worse defence I can remember, at CH and at LB. Get rid for me.

marco1875
21-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Under another new manager he seems to be 1st pick. Not good enough easily knocked off the ball seems he is untouchable.Defence has been murder for last few years probably since he has been part of it.

Maybe if we signed some half decent experienced defenders to play around him he would come on better as he wouldnt be under as much pressure. The way things stand though, I dont think him or for that matter any defender we have is good enogh to start for Hibs.

Feed McGraw
21-01-2012, 09:19 PM
:agree::top marks

I was at the game and came back and watched it on Alba aswell, we have said for long enough Hanlon cant cope when he comes up against big centre forwards and today well you dont get much bigger than Fran and Haber. I have praised Stephens alot recently but today he was as bad if not worse than Hanlon. We could easily ditch the whole back four and probably be no weaker. I like Booth but hes not a great defender, worth a shout in midfield cause Sproule is murder aswell.

Back to topic, I also agree PH has been a constand in Hibs having the worse defence I can remember, CH and at LB. Get rid for me.

Honestly, those two centre forwards must have thought their birthdays and xmas had come at once.

JohnScott
21-01-2012, 09:32 PM
thing is though, who do we have to replace ANY of our defenders? well theres; . . . and . . . and . . . oh yeah and theres . . .
we could put in some of the young boys. and if things dont improve? the fans get on their backs and slate them. their confidence goes and then they are "not good enough" . . .

I'm sorry but your defence of our defence is indefensible
Its easily the most powder puff ever! They're as mobile as a 30 stone American with a Burger in each hand who can't decide which one to bite into first. It has nothing to do with confidence. Pat could be seen shouting at them to concentrate when we went to 2 - 2 but they couldn't even do that!

LancashireHibby
21-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Hanlon and Stephens didn't have a chance of coping with their front two. It's not as if they have to cope with strikers with such movement in training, is it?!

truehibernian
21-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Paul is a left sided player. Take a look at Sandaza's winner closely and it typifies for me Paul's faults. Concentration, timing and positioning all in one. Hart admittedly headers weakly to the Saints player.....but at that moment, losing possession in that area, you should anticipate a ball into the area. Hanlon is not in any way tight or aware to Sandaza. When he gets the ball, Paul seems to usher him onto his strong foot (Sandaza's) and then not only that, fails to really get into his body......again, anticipation is key. Sandaza moves to shoot, and you would think a left footer would then throw his left foot to block, deflect or prevent the shot. Paul isn't even spun...he has the chance to throw himself (or his foot) left. He watches.....ball watches, admires and allows.....a Paul Hanlon trait I'm afraid and one that is happening time and time again and being punished. It's the SPL, not Under 21 football. Fulham having a look at him.....Billy McKinlay needs his eyes tested, or perhaps he is having a laugh. Never ever in a million years will Paul Hanlon reach the Premiership. He won't, IMHO, make it in the SPL.

Too 'nice', not strong enough, with little pace. He looks lost and he looks scared......the opposition see that and sense it. Nice left foot, no doubt a fully committed and hard working trainer.....a joy to work with. We need leaders and men in the central area, and a similar leader planted in front of them. We have absolutely none at Hibernian......none !

I think Brooster said plump Jordan Forster in at centre half......tell you what, if we don't get experience in at centre half this window (which is looking unlikely) , then we could do no worse, indeed, he is by some distance ahead of that pair today on their showing.

I honestly don't think I have ever been so disbelieving whilst watching football at Easter Road in a long time (that period in the second half before and after their second goal).....it was like I was watching 11 lemmings running after a football but always two yards off the pace.

Double sessions please Pat...........this lot need to learn football all over again. Those that cannot can be shown the door in summer.

Jonnyboy
21-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Ironically, in my view at least, Hanlon played better defensively than Booth today but you won't see Calum getting slaughtered on here and rightly so. Lay off PH I say :wink:

Jones28
21-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Sandaza is for me the best striker in the SPL at the minute, his performance today was second to none.

Hanlon and Stephens were outclassed today. The first goal Hanlon makes a great block, just typifies Hibs that the rebound would go straight to a Saints player. :rolleyes: Stephens was at fault for the second goal IMHO, turned to all buggery and shoved out the way by someone who is comparatively tiny. The third was just a great goal for me, yes Hanlon could have done more, but so could any defender when anyone scores. Swing out a leg and you might block it, deflect it into your own net or be off balance and make it easier for the attacker to skin them.

SMAXXA
21-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Ironically, in my view at least, Hanlon played better defensively than Booth today but you won't see Calum getting slaughtered on here and rightly so. Lay off PH I say :wink:

I hear what ur saying mate but its getting far to frequent people quite rightly picking out PH's failings and his inept performances, if it was on the odd occasion then fair enough but IMO its not and id go as far as saying hes worse more frequent than he is decent and cant say I can recall en exceptional performance from him? We cant keep on blaming everyone else and for the team having p*sh players alongside him etc, if he was anything worth his salt he would stand out in a poor team but hes as poor as anyone IMO

muzzhfc
21-01-2012, 10:28 PM
I'm sorry but your defence of our defence is indefensible
Its easily the most powder puff ever! They're as mobile as a 30 stone American with a Burger in each hand who can't decide which one to bite into first. It has nothing to do with confidence. Pat could be seen shouting at them to concentrate when we went to 2 - 2 but they couldn't even do that!

im not defending them, im just sayinging that we have no one to replace them. yeah our defence is too lightweight but thats the fault of yogi and cc. we have a new manager who has identified that we need defenders but he has said that it is proving difficult to bring players in. the only players available in january (normally) are either poor or cost money. if i was a manager id rather sign 3 players for free than having to use some of the wages money on transfer fees so id wait until the summer. im not saying i wouldnt bring anyone in or pay money for players, im just saying id sign one or two defenders (or a defensive midfielder) now then wait for the summer where theres more players available.

Jonnyboy
21-01-2012, 10:29 PM
I hear what ur saying mate but its getting far to frequent people quite rightly picking out PH's failings and his inept performances, if it was on the odd occasion then fair enough but IMO its not and id go as far as saying hes worse more frequent than he is decent and cant say I can recall en exceptional performance from him? We cant keep on blaming everyone else and for the team having p*sh players alongside him etc, if he was anything worth his salt he would stand out in a poor team but hes as poor as anyone IMO

I agree he's poor at the moment but none of the back four is playing well and it just seems unfair to single out PH. The real problem is that we could drop him and bring in O'Hanlon who's even worse!

SMAXXA
21-01-2012, 10:37 PM
I agree he's poor at the moment but none of the back four is playing well and it just seems unfair to single out PH. The real problem is that we could drop him and bring in O'Hanlon who's even worse!

I totally agree I dont think O'Hanlon is any better and I also agree that we dont have many other options, possibly Murry. I think even that speaks volumes for the state we are in having these guys as our options. No team will be a success unless we build from the back, shut out the goals and we may win more than not as we have goals in our team. I also agree about singeling him out, all our back 4 were terrible today, at least Stepehsn as bad as he was topday was IMO excellent in a number of games leading upto the derby and good at Dunfermline aswell. Hart is murder we all know that and Booth isnt great defending but good going forward. I dont even rate Towell but I am surprised he cant or couldnt even displace Hart.

PH isnt good enough and deserves the criticisim alongside the rest of our defence, all I would say is hes been there for a few years now the rest havnt and we have been poor defensivley for most if not all his time in there. (not blaming it all on him for all our defensive failings by any means though)

muzzhfc
21-01-2012, 10:44 PM
otally agree I dont think O'Hanlon is any better and I also agree that we dont have many other options, possibly Murry.

its MurrAy. sorry but i hate it when people who miss spell Murray

SMAXXA
21-01-2012, 10:46 PM
its MurrAy. sorry but i hate it when people who miss spell Murray

:wink: Typo my friend, I know his name very well. Anyway I think theres more to worry about than this at the moment.

muzzhfc
21-01-2012, 10:49 PM
:wink: Typo my friend, I know his name very well. Anyway I think theres more to worry about than this at the moment.

like what? teams playing well, sitting pretty in the league . . . oops sorry, was looking at the laptop upside down. your right, we do have other things to worry about

SMAXXA
21-01-2012, 10:59 PM
like what? teams playing well, sitting pretty in the league . . . oops sorry, was looking at the laptop upside down. your right, we do have other things to worry about

Hmmmmm If I didnt know better that could translate into hearts season so far, strange comments, you sure ur no a Jambo????

muzzhfc
21-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Hmmmmm If I didnt know better that could translate into hearts season so far, strange comments, you sure ur no a Jambo????

i went to shanghai a couple of months ago and i was wearing my timberland boots and the bouncer asked if i thought i was going to the hearts match. i informed him im no such yam. i also said id rather castrate myself rather than going to watch them.

Pedantic_Hibee
21-01-2012, 11:10 PM
i went to shanghai a couple of months ago and i was wearing my timberland boots and the bouncer asked if i thought i was going to the hearts match. i informed him im no such yam. i also said id rather castrate myself rather than going to watch them.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/photosizer/upload/dude-wtf.jpeg

cabbageandribs1875
21-01-2012, 11:12 PM

i'm having a silly moment, what's the connection ? :confused:

muzzhfc
21-01-2012, 11:16 PM
i'm having a silly moment, what's the connection ? :confused:

should of said, shanghai on george street. where everyone is full of them selves. said i was "too casual"

PISTOL1875
21-01-2012, 11:53 PM
After today's match , it is YET another reason why Hanlon should be playing at LB and Booth should be moved on one into midfield...

SMAXXA
22-01-2012, 08:14 AM
should of said, shanghai on george street. where everyone is full of them selves. said i was "too casual"

I have bo idea WTF you are on about :confused:

stanton10
22-01-2012, 08:38 AM
After today's match , it is YET another reason why Hanlon should be playing at LB and Booth should be moved on one into midfield...

I have said before why move them get players in to play in they positions........ simple

Eyrie
22-01-2012, 09:12 AM
I have said before why move them get players in to play in they positions........ simple

Because for too many of our squad that position is at another club.

stanton10
22-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Because for too many of our squad that position is at another club.

Sorry, to rattle on but the simple bit is that they and others are not good enough, end off

Feed McGraw
22-01-2012, 09:24 AM

You hate people spelling Murray wrong, fair enough. The poster did say it was a typo though. Well I hate people saying "should of" when it should be "should`ve" .

That last bit sounded a bit like Sir Sean.

3pm
22-01-2012, 09:54 AM
I feel for Hanlon.

He's never had the benefit of a decent back 4 or solid midfield since he broke into the team. He gets a harder time because he's not a 'Jones type' Centre Half. He'll never be one and he shouldn't have to be. If one of our numerous managers addressed the problem instead of temporary fixes then this lad might get the benefit.

truehibernian
22-01-2012, 10:21 AM
I feel for Hanlon.

He's never had the benefit of a decent back 4 or solid midfield since he broke into the team. He gets a harder time because he's not a 'Jones type' Centre Half. He'll never be one and he shouldn't have to be. If one of our numerous managers addressed the problem instead of temporary fixes then this lad might get the benefit.

He has had 3 seasons, take out his wee loan spell.....for me he isn't good enough. He was caught out as early as the first minute yesterday, straight from kick off when you should be alert.....a simple ball over the top that he misjudged the flight of, threw a leg at, and was lucky that it landed at the feet of Stephens (who then proceeded to clear it straight to a Saints player).

He has had Hogg, Jones, Bamba and Van Zanten next to him in defence...all experienced in SPL terms. He has regressed. Those that argue he is U21 captain......have we qualified for anything whilst he has been involved ?

What made me weep yesterday was the bizarre ' relay baton' style way we dealt with the armband......GOC, to Sproule, to Hanlon. If that is the team structure towards leadership and captaincy, we are indeed in bother. Not one of those players I think leads by example, not one (in my opinion) commands complete respect. Not one reads how a game is going properly.

I said it last season too, if PH were to leave, I would wish him the very best, but I think Hibs would not be losing out. I'm old fashioned though, and I want my defenders to be nasty, hard and feared in that area. Our pair look as soft as a bouncy castle.

The Voice Of Reason
22-01-2012, 10:37 AM
He has had 3 seasons, take out his wee loan spell.....for me he isn't good enough. He was caught out as early as the first minute yesterday, straight from kick off when you should be alert.....a simple ball over the top that he misjudged the flight of, threw a leg at, and was lucky that it landed at the feet of Stephens (who then proceeded to clear it straight to a Saints player).

He has had Hogg, Jones, Bamba and Van Zanten next to him in defence...all experienced in SPL terms. He has regressed. Those that argue he is U21 captain......have we qualified for anything whilst he has been involved ?

What made me weep yesterday was the bizarre ' relay baton' style way we dealt with the armband......GOC, to Sproule, to Hanlon. If that is the team structure towards leadership and captaincy, we are indeed in bother. Not one of those players I think leads by example, not one (in my opinion) commands complete respect. Not one reads how a game is going properly.

I said it last season too, if PH were to leave, I would wish him the very best, but I think Hibs would not be losing out. I'm old fashioned though, and I want my defenders to be nasty, hard and feared in that area. Our pair look as soft as a bouncy castle.

Great post, absoloutely spot on :agree: :top marks

Wotherspiniesta
22-01-2012, 11:39 AM
It's time for Paul to step up and start fulfilling his early potential. He's now a decent age and he's also been captain for club and country (albeit at u-21 level)

He needs to start being a lot more commanding, a lot more decisive and start putting his head in where it hurts.

Looking back at their 2nd goal yesterday and I agree with BB, thats one of the worst pieces of defending I've seen at ER. Why didn't paul attack that ball? How slow was Stephens to react? Awful from the pair of them.

LeithBoozy
22-01-2012, 11:51 AM
It is happening every week in front of our eyes, the whole defence can not defend. The management team know where the problem lies, they moan about it every week, BB turn yeasterday. Why is nothing being done about it, why isn't changes being made

muzzhfc
22-01-2012, 11:55 AM
You hate people spelling Murray wrong, fair enough. The poster did say it was a typo though. Well I hate people saying "should of" when it should be "should`ve" .

That last bit sounded a bit like Sir Sean.

so i should be said "sorry, should be said george street"? :wink:

basehibby
22-01-2012, 12:01 PM
I feel for Hanlon.

:agree: He could do with a Davie Weir or similar next to him to take the pressure off and provide some leadership and instruction. I believe there's a good footballer in there with Hanlon but he's crying out for a mentor in the defence - as are Booth and Stephens.

Hart has looked better recently with a decent run of games behind him but is not the answer as far as leadership is concerned

Pedantic_Hibee
22-01-2012, 12:11 PM

Bang on the money, as per usual.

Dinkydoo
22-01-2012, 02:01 PM

Yam alert.

Just checked some of your other posts, and you've got a bit of convincing to do IMO.

Feed McGraw
22-01-2012, 03:41 PM

Well, seeing as I can`t make head nor tail of that, I`ll just do one of these too. :wink:

3pm
22-01-2012, 04:12 PM

I think you make fair points although I am not sure I am buying your use of Hogg and Van Zanten. I'd also be curious as to how many times he played with Jones but I don't have those stats.

If he left (similar to the majority) then I probably wouldn't be that upset either. However, I'd be disappointed because I feel there is a player with potential there who has been let down by the chaos of the last 3 years. He isn't a hard man and won't ever be, I see him as someone who will attempt to read the game and make interceptions and blocks rather than someone who is the dominant no nosense CH who likes to tackle and attack / head the ball.

However, he doesn't have the luxury of a good defence to compliment what I think he'd be good at. I suspect a back 4 of him, Jones, Murphy and a Willie Miller type would allow him to progress. The upshot is though that guys of that ilk aren't there and he is suffering.

If he goes, he goes. I won't be 'gutted' but I'd be disappointed he hadn't fulfilled his potential at Hibs.

AlbertK86
23-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Just watched highlights for first time as been working all weekend

Paul Hanlon..... ducks for 2nd and just allows Sendaza to turn past and shoot for 3rd ... only about the 30th time he has allowed forward to turn him like that this season.

Never a CH in a million years.... cannae tackle can only head or clear about 10 yards ....Stephens just as culpable

MOST CULPABLE - BOARD and MANAGEMENT over the last few years for not getting this basic problem at CH sorted out. At last they seem to have coaught on judging by BBs public lambasting

Been saying for the last 18 months that the whole back five including our keepr is a shambles and needs rebuilt from scratch

JimBHibees
23-01-2012, 09:07 AM
It's time for Paul to step up and start fulfilling his early potential. He's now a decent age and he's also been captain for club and country (albeit at u-21 level)

He needs to start being a lot more commanding, a lot more decisive and start putting his head in where it hurts.

Looking back at their 2nd goal yesterday and I agree with BB, thats one of the worst pieces of defending I've seen at ER. Why didn't paul attack that ball? How slow was Stephens to react? Awful from the pair of them.

Completely agree one of the worst goals I have ever seen for a professional team to lose even worse given we had scored seconds beforehand.

I actually think Hanlon is a decent defender but as you say doesn need to man up a bit and be more positive and aggressive. I also think he would benefit from an experienced centre half next to him hopefully McPake fits the bill in that regard.

truehibernian
23-01-2012, 09:24 AM
I think you make fair points although I am not sure I am buying your use of Hogg and Van Zanten. I'd also be curious as to how many times he played with Jones but I don't have those stats.

If he left (similar to the majority) then I probably wouldn't be that upset either. However, I'd be disappointed because I feel there is a player with potential there who has been let down by the chaos of the last 3 years. He isn't a hard man and won't ever be, I see him as someone who will attempt to read the game and make interceptions and blocks rather than someone who is the dominant no nosense CH who likes to tackle and attack / head the ball.

However, he doesn't have the luxury of a good defence to compliment what I think he'd be good at. I suspect a back 4 of him, Jones, Murphy and a Willie Miller type would allow him to progress. The upshot is though that guys of that ilk aren't there and he is suffering.

If he goes, he goes. I won't be 'gutted' but I'd be disappointed he hadn't fulfilled his potential at Hibs.

You make fair points too 3pm.....however I do hope you are referring to the Aberdeen Willie Miller and not Willie 'dentists dream' Miller who played right back for us :greengrin He drinks locally to where I work, so if you mean 'Oor Wullie' I will pass on how highly you rated him :greengrin

Seriously, I have tried so hard to give young Hanlon the benefit of the doubt, and yep, perhaps I am harsh on him. But for me it's an area that needs resilience, command of the box and aggression. I just don't see it in him and more crucially I don't see good game awareness. What annoys me more about Hibs is that despite both Hughes and Calderwood saying that Hibs were/are soft, neither got in two or three real aggressive leaders......and I don't mean dirty players, I mean players who both the Hibs players and the opposition fear. Players who can read the way a game is going and take a few seconds to gather them together and instruct.

If Hanlon proves me wrong, I'll happily eat the humblest of pies but regardless of that will always wish him well. I just don't see the player others see.

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2012, 10:58 AM
I have had my doubts about Hanlon for a while, and gave him the benefit of the doubt because of his age. I too fail to see what is actually good about his play?

He is often dominated by his player, is poor on the ball, cumbersome in fact. Not quick and not particularly great in the air. He started off as a great hope for the future, folk were saying he was better than Berra who earned a move to the EPL.

Well imo, he's a long way from that move, i have read folk say if we are offered £750k we should snap their hands off. I agree, but for the life of me i wonder where the hell that offer would come from?

Its always someone else's fault when we are assessing players on here, Booth is pish because Sproule plays in front of him, Stacks pish because the defence is crap in front of him, Hanlon is playing bad because he does not have a better partner to play with.

Good players imo are good player, and rise above the mediocrity. Hanlon might be good and this is the reason he's stagnating, i hope this is the case, but just now he's no better than the rest of his team mates, and they have us 2nd bottom of the league.

The Sea-gull
23-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Remember PH getting out muscled and standing off the guy for the sixth Motherwell goal in that infamous game a couple of years back?

At that time, Yogi had always said that PH needed to get physically stronger before he became a regular. This goal fully demonstrated this point.

Nearly two years on has he improved physically? I'd say no.

Feel sorry for him as he has not had experienced guidance or quality around him and he is a reasonable enough player but I do wonder if his downfall will be that he is an ok left back with limitations in some areas and he is an ok centre half with limitations in some areas but may not become accomplished at either role.

At the moment he is not good enough to be a starter in either position and should be used as a squad player who comes in and covers injuries and suspensions at LB or CB. The fact that he has played so many games by such a young age says more about the last few managers inability to sign an appropriate quality and quantity of defenders than it does about his own ability.

scoopyboy
23-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Just watched highlights for first time as been working all weekend

Paul Hanlon..... ducks for 2nd and just allows Sendaza to turn past and shoot for 3rd ... only about the 30th time he has allowed forward to turn him like that this season.

Never a CH in a million years.... cannae tackle can only head or clear about 10 yards ....Stephens just as culpable

MOST CULPABLE - BOARD and MANAGEMENT over the last few years for not getting this basic problem at CH sorted out. At last they seem to have coaught on judging by BBs public lambasting

Been saying for the last 18 months that the whole back five including our keepr is a shambles and needs rebuilt from scratch

Paul's progress has been slower than we would all have liked.

In his defence he ducked for the second goal because Stephen's shouted.

SMAXXA
23-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Remember PH getting out muscled and standing off the guy for the sixth Motherwell goal in that infamous game a couple of years back?

At that time, Yogi had always said that PH needed to get physically stronger before he became a regular. This goal fully demonstrated this point.

Nearly two years on has he improved physically? I'd say no.

Feel sorry for him as he has not had experienced guidance or quality around him and he is a reasonable enough player but I do wonder if his downfall will be that he is an ok left back with limitations in some areas and he is an ok centre half with limitations in some areas but may not become accomplished at either role.

At the moment he is not good enough to be a starter in either position and should be used as a squad player who comes in and covers injuries and suspensions at LB or CB. The fact that he has played so many games by such a young age says more about the last few managers inability to sign an appropriate quality and quantity of defenders than it does about his own ability.

I totally agree with this. :agree:

I never like to critizise our own players especially the younger guys and dont want to feel like i've got an agenda agsint some players due to constantly airing my view that they are not good enough etc. I would loved to be proved wrong with PH, DW, DS, LS etc but so far I have seen nothing to suggest I will be. I just feel PH for example has had long enough to prove his worth to the team and that he should be a first pick every week, but he hasnt, and I also agree its probably a situation we have because there arnt really any other better options, this speaks volumes for the management prior to PF.

I am also a believer that you put a good playe rin a poor team this player would be more inclined to stick out from the rest as having realy quality, again PH does not do this IMO.

Lets hope we bring in another couple of CH's.