PDA

View Full Version : Why Are We Not Prepared For The Window

Emerald
21-01-2012, 06:22 PM
We had the same thing in the summer window too. We know what we need but dont seem to have anything lined up before the windows open. We have been crying out for experienced good quality defenders for the last two (at least) seasons. We should be tracking these players down way in advance of the windows opening and making sure we have enough options, enough irons in the fire, so we can expect at least some of these signings to come off. It appears that we are still scratching about trying to identify targets, giving people trials etc with a week to go.

A manager should have contacts and players willing to come and play from them. He should be able to wheel and deal to get good quality bargains in. That is what will make a great manager from an average one. I just hope PF has this attribute because we've never needed a manager like that quite as badly as we do now.

I'm really worried. :worried:

Alfred E Newman
21-01-2012, 06:27 PM
We had the same thing in the summer window too. We know what we need but dont seem to have anything lined up before the windows open. We have been crying out for experienced good quality defenders for the last two (at least) seasons. We should be tracking these players down way in advance of the windows opening and making sure we have enough options, enough irons in the fire, so we can expect at least some of these signings to come off. It appears that we are still scratching about trying to identify targets, giving people trials etc with a week to go.

A manager should have contacts and players willing to come and play from them. He should be able to wheel and deal to get good quality bargains in. That is what will make a great manager from an average one. I just hope PF has this attribute because we've never needed a manager like that quite as badly as we do now.

Because its " not the Hibs way " :greengrin

Elephant Stone
21-01-2012, 06:37 PM
From what I've seen in his interviews I don't doubt in the slightest that PF has been as well prepared as he could be and is working as hard as he can to find players. Signing in January isn't easy and I'd rather Pat was certain about someone's quality rather than signing out of panic and risking bringing in the same kind of **** we had flung at us by CC last January.

Bostonhibby
21-01-2012, 06:37 PM
The eternal struggle between our desire to get the player and us being willing to pay what he can get elsewhere, or indeed pay anything at all. I think Brown and Fenlon are well capable of lining them up but when it comes to terms.............

Wheat Hound
21-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Bottom line is that money talks and if we pay players more than our rivals they will sign for us. We should be able to offer better terms than most teams in the SPL and, even if this means taking on an increased debt for short term security, this is preferable to the horrendous alternative. Of course, if we hadn't ploughed millions into a completely unneccessary new east stand and instead reinvested in the team..........................

aunty joyce
21-01-2012, 06:42 PM
It doesn't take a genius to work out that it's going to be very difficult to sign players at this time given our current league position!

Sumner
21-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Because its " not the Hibs way " :greengrin

The Hibs Board's way is to "pretend" to be keen to spend
.. but behind the scenes to leave phones on answer-phone,
delete agents calls instead of listening to them, hide, lift
the phone and adopting an accent suggesting the agent
has called a Chinese Restaurant by mistake. Then hide again. Hide the next day too.

Next day answer phone, "Mr Petrie? No one here of that name"
If caught by agent in car-park while trying to sneak out,
point at the sky and say "look at THAT".. when agent looks, RUN.

If finally trapped and tied in office by an agent, under the risk
of actually having to spend money, feign a black-out...
If smelling salts are produced and negotiations do begin, start
adding clauses & conditions to stall, stall and stall .. until the deal's dead.

Hide in the toilets (standing on the toilet seats so no one knows you're in)

Finally emerge February 1st sincerely extolling with convincing sadness
how time has run out, unfortunately, all those planned signings have escaped.

Add some tosh about "unite" "all in it together" "Hibernian family"
to get the mu... er, punters to PAY for this, and the well-earned executive salaries.

Then practise hiding, until the next transfer window. When it opens, hide.

smurf
21-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Our board can swiftly negotiate sales but not purchases.

Dashing Bob S
21-01-2012, 07:01 PM
From what I've seen in his interviews I don't doubt in the slightest that PF has been as well prepared as he could be and is working as hard as he can to find players. Signing in January isn't easy and I'd rather Pat was certain about someone's quality rather than signing out of panic and risking bringing in the same kind of **** we had flung at us by CC last January.

I agree with that entirely as a general principle and it's hard go along with the 'any change is an improvement philosophy when we have the likes of Hart and O Hanlon in the defensive reckoning. However, we really need to sign somebody soon as the defence and midfield seem to have weaknesses which are uncoachable.

Scouse Hibee
21-01-2012, 07:23 PM

:agree: What really puzzles me is how team like St Johnstone are able to pick up decent players from the championship and we can't!!

Baldy Foghorn
21-01-2012, 07:31 PM
:agree: What really puzzles me is how team like St Johnstone are able to pick up decent players from the championship and we can't!!

Agreed the boy they got from Derby looked decent....

Baldy Foghorn
21-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Our board can swiftly negotiate sales but not purchases.

:top marks:top marks:rolleyes:

BEEJ
21-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Or how, on the back of an apparently much smaller player budget than ours, they can assemble the likes of:

Callum Davidson, Jody Morris, Murray Davidson, Cillian Sheridan and Francisco Sandaza.

:rolleyes:

archiebald
21-01-2012, 07:54 PM
I mentioned this on a earlier post and was shot down in flames

SneakersO'Toole
21-01-2012, 09:09 PM
The question I will be posing to the board on Monday morning is why with only 10days to go in the transfer window we have rectified none of the problem areas that have served to bring the club to the very brink of disaster, even though said problem areas have been evident to many for nearly 2 years.

I don't doubt Fenlons work ethic on this matter, I do however serious concerns about the clubs ability to SERIOUSLY back our manager in a time of crisis.

Guys like Fenlon, Brown et all have been in the game long to know good players, utilise contacts etc. Some will use the argument that players don't want to come to Hibs in their current plight. I don't buy it for 1 second. There are always players willing to move if the money right. Sadly, I don't think the money is right. And that's why we find ourselves flapping about at the last minute as per usual.