PDA

View Full Version : Back to square one

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Utterly outplayed by a team like St Johnstone is really the end of the season for us now, with Dunfermline winning easily at Rugby Park it now looks grim for us.

I don't want to hear any more talk from Fenlon regarding signing forwards, a whole new back four and a goalkeeper required urgently.

Where do we go from here?

Green and white
21-01-2012, 03:58 PM
why? because we lost a team which was better on the day and has been better all season.

op knows nothing about football.

DC_Hibs
21-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Utterly outplayed by a team like St Johnstone is really the end of the season for us now, with Dunfermline winning easily at Rugby Park it now looks grim for us.

End of the season ya daftie......its just starting.

When has Fenlon been talking about who he is signing? Concentrate less on newspaper speculation and we have to wait until the window closes before we bump our gums about what he signed.

HibeeMG
21-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Agreed, forwards aren't a priority.

However, we weren't 'utterly outplayed' today. First half was dire because those Hibby icons GO'C and Ivan Sproule have the first touch of a 5 year old in lead boots. The midfield was caught out of position each time the ball never stuck. The defence never got a chance of respite because of it.

The defence was dire, yes. The first goal was unlucky TBH. The second and third goals were chocking lapses in the basics of defending.

Not sure why you're having a go at Mark Brown. He kept us in it at times.

PeterboroHibee
21-01-2012, 04:04 PM
why? because we lost a team which was better on the day and has been better all season.

Thats a bit harsh.

Cant really argue with what he is saying, weve known all season we need defenders in and 21 days into the transfer window weve not signed one player to improve it. I accept Fenlons saying hes having difficulties getting players in but given how much of a problem our defence is, that should have been no.1 priority and could have been sorted out before the window opened.

I also agree that this could very well be a massive turning point for us. Winning 3-0 away will be a massive boost for them, and while we won last week, it was based more on our forwards as the poor defence still conceded 2 poor goals (basically, the only way we win is to outscore teams), we are a shambles of a 'team'.

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-01-2012, 04:04 PM

Eh? :confused:

What the hell are you talking about Mr happy clapper,we lost to a team better on the day? so that makes it all right? what game were you watching, better all season? how come they have so many good players and we don't?

The biggest waste of 26 quid ever!

allezsauzee
21-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Utterly outplayed? Utter drivel!I thought we deserved a draw. I thought we looked pretty secure if unspectacular on the right hand side, so thats some progress. Griffiths worked his socks off and I thought Doyle's movement was pretty good when came on. O'Connor was pish and I'm afraid Booth is not a defender. He should be moved into midfield when we find a left back.

gillythehibby
21-01-2012, 04:21 PM

Nonsense. We lost again because we cannot defend properly. Until we get better defenders we are wide open. The guys up front must be raging at the defending. We had most of the game and the best chances. We should have scored more in fact. Mr Fenlon would do well to forget about centre forwards from a mickey mouse irish league and sign 2 centre halfs who can ****** defend. We might then have a chance. Hibs just p$ss me off right now.

allezsauzee
21-01-2012, 04:28 PM
I'd play Hanlon left back and put Booth left midfield. We do urgently need a good experienced centre half to play alongside Stephens.

shamo9
21-01-2012, 04:31 PM
There's no case for the defence, while the forwards for St Johnstone were good, we just couldn't stop making basic error after basic error. Two of our bigger players, Osbourne and O'Connor, compounded our problems by having bad games. As a result we struggled without ever being out of the game. There are positives but they're all offensively: Griffiths looks like he's finally finding a balance between his fancy tricks and a genuine end product. Doyle's movement and link-up play is promising, as was the drive of Booth and Galbraith in the second half.

Our shortcomings are an inexerpienced defence and an ineffective midfield. The latter needs drastic surgery to get it working; someone in midfield who can sit and get us going, a shining example being the boy Morris today from St Johnstone. Having someone there allows you to dictate the pace of the game, while always providing an outlet for the rest of the team when under pressure. Then there's the defence, we need experience and physicality and we need it now in the shape of a few players at least.

I'm trying to be realistic, considering this is the lesser of the transfer windows, so this is the bare minimum required to keep us in the league for now. A midfield leader who can actually retain the ball and fill the gigantic hole between defence and attack, and a few defenders who can defend. At least we have goals in the team I guess.

King Paddy
21-01-2012, 05:33 PM

I don't want to hear any more talk from Fenlon regarding signing forwards, a whole new back four and a goalkeeper required urgently.

Where do we go from here into the first division, and with the current squad we will struggle in that division as well.

h1bs4life
21-01-2012, 05:48 PM

Wouldnt say utterly outplayed but yet another team comes to Easter Road and dominates the midfield. Our defence is poor , the midfield isn't any better.None of them would get a game for any other team in our league.Cannot believe some people don't think Goodwin would improve that midfield.

Bishop Hibee
21-01-2012, 06:00 PM

No we weren't "utterly outplayed". I thought a draw at half time would have been fairer. I agree St Johnstone had better chances in the second half but there second goal was brutal from Stephens and the third was a poor header from Hart, who I thought actually played ok today, which gave away possession. Fantastic finish from Sandaza who will definitely be away from St Johnstone by the close of the transfer window.

If the Pars can win easily at Killie then so can we as they are every bit as bad as us defensively. Killie must have been brutal.

We definitely need a commanding CH to organise the back 4 and a creative and/or goalscoring midfielder is a must. I thought Brown played very well today.

Utter over-reaction when we beat the Pars last week and I expect the same on here today. We definitely played better than we ever did under Calderclown but we'll be lucky to stay up with the current centre halves at the club.

monktonharp
21-01-2012, 06:11 PM
never thought at any time we were outplayed. we were best in the first half,and got back into it twice,despite an absolute schoolboy howler by big Stevens, then lost it by giving the ball directly to their scorer for number 3.another disaster by our most experienced defender. if our big midfielder had performed half as good as last week, and got involved in the game we could have won it yet again though we were undone by our own back 4.

dmc1875
21-01-2012, 06:26 PM
never thought at any time we were outplayed. we were best in the first half,and got back into it twice,despite an absolute schoolboy howler by big Stevens, then lost it by giving the ball directly to their scorer for number 3.another disaster by our most experienced defender. if our big midfielder had performed half as good as last week, and got involved in the game we could have won it yet again though we were undone by our own back 4.

This is my main worry. People seem to think we should build a defence around Stevens... why? He is a big strong lad and in the second half at Dunfermline he was immense but we have seen so many times this season he is capable of atrocious defending and calamitous howlers (St Johnstone away and today). He was poor in the first half against Dunfermline as well.

I have no doubts that he is going to be a good solid defender, but in our current plight surely he is too inexperienced for us to pin our hopes on with our SPL life at stake?

Hanlon at least has a 100 or so games under his belt, a lot more experience for the run in...

We need a Rob Jones, I just hope PF can find one...:confused:

stanton10
21-01-2012, 06:30 PM
I'd play Hanlon left back and put Booth left midfield. We do urgently need a good experienced centre half to play alongside Stephens.

Why , move them just get a left sided midfield on the books and a decent left back forget the shuffle they are not good enough.

dmc1875
21-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Why , move them just get a left sided midfield on the books and a decent left back forget the shuffle they are not good enough.

Agreed. As much as it pains me to say it, although Booth is good going forward and has so much potential, he is murder in defence. Many may not want to hear it but he is MUCH worse than Hart currently, hence why the plan from Dunfermline and St Johnstone was to attack down our left side.