PDA

View Full Version : penny pinching?

King Paddy
20-01-2012, 09:14 PM
I am definately concerned about our outgoings ratio to incoming signings.
All i hear is rumour after rumour, let's not kid ourselves we are still in a precarious
position, granted we got a much needed win at EEP, but i would have hoped after
listening to Pat Fenlon on the radio last week that 2 new players would have been
signed this week. Come on Petrie give Fenlon some cash.

SMAXXA
20-01-2012, 09:18 PM
All i hear is rumour after rumour, let's not kid ourselves we are still in a precarious
listening to Pat Fenlon on the radio last week that 2 new players would have been

Im not, its only the 19th of Jan and the dross we have binned was what most have been crying out for along time. We have re-signed Griff, and brought in Doyle and Francome, which other SPL teams have been as active???? I would rather wait and get the right players that just sign for the sake of signing.

I also think running with a smaller tighter nit squad might not be a bad thing, everyone pulling together more collectivley.

Jonnyboy
20-01-2012, 09:22 PM

Patience KP, patience :greengrin

Mikey
20-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Come on Petrie give Fenlon some cash.

From?

iain nolan
20-01-2012, 09:25 PM
i think we all glad to see some of the players leaving the club as most off calderwoods signings we poor. am not to worried that we not signed anyone as most off the deals are done the last few days . whats inportant is fenlon gets a better standard off player in and we need some old heads to bring on the younger players .

Baldy Foghorn
20-01-2012, 09:27 PM
None of us can be sure of whats happening behind the scenes, we have had trialists with us, and maybe they were no better than what we already have.... Bounce game set up for Monday to allow Murphy to showcase what he has.....

Pat Fenlon says they are all working hard behind the scenes and I have no reason to doubt that....

As an aside I spotted Mr Petrie in George Street this morning......He was suited but no tie, come on Rod sort yourself out man :greengrin:

jdships
20-01-2012, 09:28 PM

Where is this CASH to come from ?
31st January is a week away have some patience :rolleyes:

iain nolan
20-01-2012, 09:30 PM
your 100% right we only need better players
Im not, its only the 19th of Jan and the dross we have binned was what most have been crying out for along time. We have re-signed Griff, and brought in Doyle and Francome, which other SPL teams have been as active???? I would rather wait and get the right players that just sign for the sake of signing.

I also think running with a smaller tighter nit squad might not be a bad thing, everyone pulling together more collectivley.

SanFranHibs
20-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Where is this CASH to come from ?

There is no cash as of the 20th, but we can expect some funds allocated to player acquisition by the 31st? Where is this money coming from if not already available?

I think you could have stopped after your first question.

We either have money to spend or not !!

Would be nice to think that Paddy Fenlon has a little in his fund and is in the process of identifyng a good central defender and I'm sure they are running their eyes over several targets who wont cost much up front, but probably more important is that he is given time to see what he can do with the current squad. Even if he were to bring in another 'good' player, wont change much if the rest of the squad don't improve.

Completely unable to provide supporting evidence for my next statement, but..........I actually feel given time Mr. Fenlon will improve us and at least we will be competing for a top 6 place and not the pushover that we seem to have been recently. (Maybe that is two statements, but if so not an either/or).

:flag:

tamig
20-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Patience KP, patience :greengrin

Exactly. Some folk get in a tizz about nothing.

Beefster
20-01-2012, 09:51 PM
From?

Presumably there is money available from the players released. Palsson, Agogo and Thornhill won't have been on diddy wages.

silverhibee
20-01-2012, 09:53 PM
None of us can be sure of whats happening behind the scenes, we have had trialists with us, and maybe they were no better than what we already have.... Bounce game set up for Monday to allow Murphy to showcase what he has.....

Pat Fenlon says they are all working hard behind the scenes and I have no reason to doubt that....

As an aside I spotted Mr Petrie in George Street this morning......He was suited but no tie, come on Rod sort yourself out man :greengrin:

Gee whizz, even the players dont hit the town that early.

Hope the club fine him. :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
20-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Gee whizz, even the players dont hit the town that early.

Hope the club fine him. :greengrin

Aye maybe he was doing the walk of shame and heading home:greengrin

SteveHFC
20-01-2012, 09:58 PM

:top marks

Baldy Foghorn
20-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Presumably there is money available from the players released. Palsson, Agogo and Thornhill won't have been on diddy wages.

Depends on whether we paid the players a severance fee to get shot?

brydekirk
20-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Its not all about money, we are not out. T
he relagation battle yet. Some common sense would tell u players don't want to sign for a club in our possition.!!

tamig
20-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Its not all about money, we are not out. T
he relagation battle yet. Some common sense would tell u players don't want to sign for a club in our possition.!!

I think that's a positive tbh. PF has made it clear he is after players of a certain character. If they're not up for the fight then they're no good for us.

Seveno
20-01-2012, 11:18 PM

Get a grip. You don't just go down to Tesco to buy players. There aren't all that many available, they have to weigh up options and contracts have to be negotiated. Have a bit of patience for goodness sake.

Saorsa
20-01-2012, 11:25 PM
signed this week. Come on Petrie give Fenlon some cash.I'd liked tae have seen at least another in by now but I've nae concern over those that have left already. I doubt they'd have featured again anyway so we're just as well rid of them. Whether we do or dinnae get any mair in this windae (and I dinnae think he's finished yet), those that have left are of little or nae consequence IMO.

down the slope
20-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Exactly. Some folk get in a tizz about nothing.

Relegation is nothing ?, improve the squad now and save millions if we were to down.

cad
21-01-2012, 12:21 AM
We have to mix up whats going and whats coming in ,if there is any money spent I wouldn't expect it to be very much ,I don't think we have it .

Sunny1875
21-01-2012, 06:10 AM
Get a grip. You don't just go down to Tesco to buy players. There aren't all that many available, they have to weigh up options and contracts have to be negotiated. Have a bit of patience for goodness sake.

I have in the past saw Gordon Hunter in Asda, but he did not have a price tag on so dont know how much a supermarket sweeper goes for ?

Beefster
21-01-2012, 08:47 AM

There is that but what would be the point of binning them now if it meant that their freed-up wages wouldn't be available until their contracts were due to expire anyway (in the case of Palsson and Agogo, I can't remember when Thornhill's was up)?

BEEJ
21-01-2012, 10:29 AM

Of the four that have left ER so far, only Palsson could be said to have featured in recent squads. Agogo and Thornhill were not even on the radar and Crawford had just returned from loan at Brechin.

So in effect the in-out ratio relative to end December is actually positive - two in, one out.

I would argue that relative to the rest of the season, today's match represents one of the more achievable sets of three points that we will be fighting for in order to avoid the drop.

If our defensive failures kick in once again today and as a result we fail to secure all three points, we might be regretting it by the end of the season. Potentially that could be the difference that, for example, a new CH signed this week could have made.

Hopefully it won't matter at 5pm this evening and we'll have won.

On a similar note, does anyone know when the deadline is for registering players for the next round of the Scottish Cup?

whiskyhibby
21-01-2012, 11:44 AM

Why is a lack of signings to date 'Penny pinching' have you any evidence that PF's budget has been reduced or that RP has said no funds are available.........................:casper:

down-the-slope
21-01-2012, 12:00 PM

Yup there will be lots of penny pinchers not in the stadium supporting the team today :rolleyes:

Mikey
21-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Why is a lack of signings to date 'Penny pinching' have you any evidence that PF's budget has been reduced or that RP has said no funds are available.........................

Don't expect an answer to that. This one's quite happy to start a thread like this but has absolutely nothing to back it up.

Hit and run merchant :agree:

The_Todd
21-01-2012, 12:11 PM

Bingo.

Even the act of getting rid of these players would have cost money, it's not as if we agreed transfer fees for them - we just let them go and I suspect we would have paid money out for that.

PF is shaping up the squad as he sees fit, and I think in the main most on here have agreed with the players he's shipped out so far. And yes, we need to be patient. The January transfer window only lasts a month, there's not a lot of talent available in this window and there's a massive rebuild job needed on this squad. We also have to be aware that signing players isn't as easy as "Hey, want to play for Hibs? Great! Sign that bit of paper, jobs a good 'un.". PF has already made us aware that players coming in are looking at the league table, looking at our recent results and thinking "No thanks". It's hard being patient, but being patient is just what we have to be.

Bostonhibby
21-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Bingo.

Even the act of getting rid of these players would have cost money, it's not as if we agreed transfer fees for them - we just let them go and I suspect we would have paid money out for that.

PF is shaping up the squad as he sees fit, and I think in the main most on here have agreed with the players he's shipped out so far. And yes, we need to be patient. The January transfer window only lasts a month, there's not a lot of talent available in this window and there's a massive rebuild job needed on this squad. We also have to be aware that signing players isn't as easy as "Hey, want to play for Hibs? Great! Sign that bit of paper, jobs a good 'un.". PF has already made us aware that players coming in are looking at the league table, looking at our recent results and thinking "No thanks". It's hard being patient, but being patient is just what we have to be.

This is what I think, everyone we have off loaded before the deal they were on ended is probably having to be paid off, so whilst theres a benefit to us in shifting some of Calderwoods in particular, it goes back to Yogi as well to get the benefit there's a negative effect on the transfer pot unless these jokers walked for nothing - more likely we paid up the contracts in whole or part. Need to look at the acounts for the relevant period. I'm happy with who we are getting rid of, but accept that as a consequence of doing it there will be a short term impact on what we have to spend.

tamig
21-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Relegation is nothing ?, improve the squad now and save millions if we were to down.

Mmm. Now where did I say that? PF has made it clear he is working hard to get new men in. Just because there hasn't been a stream of incomings on the same scale as the outgoings - at the moment - doesn't mean a lot of activity isn't taking place behind the scenes. Some folk should chill a bit and let PF get on with his job.

Hibs7
21-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Hibs are dire and relegation is a series threat.

Thecat23
21-01-2012, 04:35 PM
This lets be patient cr@p is unreal. Yeah lets just sit back and what ever dross is left at the end of the window feel free to come to Hibs. If we had a good CH we prob wouldn't be losing goals like this. Get a CH in, if like the Petrie backers are saying money is there then get on with it and stop messing about ffs.

mcfly
21-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Have to agree - it doesnt matter who is in charge of our team, the fact is the defence is a JOKE.

We are now on 21 Jan - 8 points behind the team in 10th place as it stands at the moment. the board has to find the money from somewhere, relegation may cost us eg £ 2 million, so surely spending £1/2 million now to stay up is good business or am i being niave

The board boasted they spent ages getting pat fenlon, well show the fans some cash, we need defenders who can defend NOW

BEEJ
21-01-2012, 06:54 PM
I would argue that relative to the rest of the season, today's match represents one of the more achievable sets of three points that we will be fighting for in order to avoid the drop.

If our defensive failures kick in once again today and as a result we fail to secure all three points, we might be regretting it by the end of the season. Potentially that could be the difference that, for example, a new CH signed this week could have made.

Hopefully it won't matter at 5pm this evening and we'll have won.
Just back. :fuming:

Sadly my worst prophecy proved to be true. What difference might an experienced CB and leader on the park have made today? Every point is invaluable.

Today was a fixture where three points were within grasp. Next week, away to Ibrox, we're not expected to win anyway. So might as well wait now until five to midnight on 31st January to secure any new signings for the defence.