PDA

View Full Version : Grounds you've been to in the English lower leagues and with whom?

lyonhibs
20-01-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm taking my first trip to The Kassam Stadium down here to watch Oxford take on the might of Hereford tomorrow. £17 (inc booking fee) seems like decent value, but I've yet to experience 90 minutes of League 2, so don't quote me on that!!

Just wondering, which lower league - below the Championship say - ground in England you've been to, and following whom?? (assuming it's not Hibs obviously!!)

I'm quite looking forward to the match day experience, pub before and after, and also as the possible move of James Constable to Swindon (equivalent of O'Connor moving to Hearts) has been rejected by the player himself, there should be a decent atmosphere!!

beensaidbefore
20-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Victoria Park, Hartlepool. Hartlepool V Bournmouth 2003/4ish 0-0 thriller. Good night out though. With my football team so to be fair we would have had a good night anywhere.

Bristolhibby
20-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Been to Bristol Rovers (used to live opposite their ground when I was a student).
Brighton and Hove Albion at the Withdean stadium (Missus went to Uni down there).
Also been to Chippenham Towns ground (Hardenhuish Park) as I live round the corner.
Twerton Park (Bath City's ground) a number of times.

J

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-01-2012, 07:11 PM
I went to see Barnet v Torquay at Underhill. Real hoot with the home fans. Also went to see Leyton Orient v Bournemouth and met up with someone who had a flat in the corner with a balcony view.

SteveHFC
20-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Carlisle vs Hibs :wink:

NYHibby
20-01-2012, 07:24 PM
I've never been to a lower league game in England. Although I have been to a bunch of smaller American stadiums. This one time the stand I was in collapsed in the middle of the game and almost took out some of the players.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Sheff Wed - FA Cup with West Ham and the unfortunate day of the 1989 Semi Final.
Preston with Hibs and West Ham.
Oldham with Hibs.
Rotherhams old stadium and Crewe with The Hammers.
Hartlepool with West Ham - FA Cup.
Travelled down to Carlisle for the pre-season game, only got as far as Botchergate.

fat freddy
20-01-2012, 07:51 PM
shay stadium 1992...halifax town v blackpool....ground was a dump but it was a laugh as the supporters re enacted the war of the roses with chants of yorkshire yorkshire up against chants of lancashire lancashire lancashire.

sincil stadium 1996/7 ?...lincoln city v newcastle utd.....shearers debut for the geordies...lincoln fans had drums and played really slow when newcastle had possession and really fast when lincoln had possession...stadium was tidy and compact.

SouthMoroccoStu
20-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Lincoln city's Sincil Bank.

Terrible terrible ground. But good atmospher.

C'mon the Imps

HibbyAndy
20-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Doncaster -Keepmoat.

Sir David Gray
20-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Carlisle vs Hibs :wink:

Likewise.

_hucks_
20-01-2012, 08:09 PM
I went to watch Oxford United in the old manor ground when they were in what is now the championship, against Sunderland. I also, many years later, sat in the away end to watch them at Cheltenham.

I saw AFC Wimbledon away at Bradford a few months ago and had a great time, and have plans to watch them at Crewe in a months time.

I've also had the misfortune of visiting Prenton Park on a few occasions to see Tranmere Rovers, and I'm yet to see them score. Wimbledon are by far and away the best crowd out of that lot.

leither17
20-01-2012, 08:10 PM
oldham v peterboro ended up 2-1 peterboro 2 goals from scotlands own :wink: Craig Makaill-Smith

Aubenas
20-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Lived in and supported Southport FC for ten years, and, following them, visited: Crewe, Tranmere, Stockport, Barrow, Hull (Boothferry Park), Lincoln, Doncaster (Belle Vue), Bury, Chester (Sealand Rd), Wrexham, Chesterfield (Saltergate), Oldham, Wigan (Springfield Park). Also been to Blackburn Rovers, Portsmouth, and Marine (depends how far down the leagues you want to go.....) Also saw Oxford v Kidderminster at Kassam and Carlisle v Hibs
Great way to see the country!

thekaratekid
20-01-2012, 08:33 PM
I went to Morecambe/Accrington on boxing day. A league 2 Lancashire derby.

It was dire. Like worse than SPL dire.

essexhibee
20-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Had a season ticket with Southend FC at Roots Hall. Awful ground in that it took ages to get out, if there was ever a fire than god knows how everyone would get out. But couldn't beat the atmosphere in big games, close ground you could literally touch the players. Seen the likes of Bale in his Southhampton days right in front :aok:. Best game have ever been to was the Carling Cup win v Man Utd. Unreal.

Have also been to Chelmsford City's ground Melbourne Park as well as Ebsfleet's ground, both teams playing in the Conference South :greengrin

Frogga
20-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Went to Portman Road to see Ipswich v Palace last season (2-1 Ipswich). Was a great day out and was made better by the fact that Ipswich were having their equivalent of Hibs Kids days so the stadium was pretty full.

Also went to Hartlepool v Bury earlier this season (3-0 Hartlepool). Didn't get there till 30mins in but saw all 3 goals and Nish scored 2 that day!

HH81
21-01-2012, 05:41 AM
BRENTFORD
BURY
CARLISLE UNITED
CHESTERFIELD
COLCHESTER UNITED
EXETER CITY
HARTLEPOOL UNITED
HUDDERSFIELD TOWN
LEYTON ORIENT
NOTTS COUNTY
OLDHAM ATHLETIC
PRESTON NORTH END
ROCHDALE
SCUNTHORPE UNITED
SHEFFIELD UNITED
SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY
STEVENAGE
TRANMERE ROVERS
WALSALL
YEOVIL TOWN

league 2

ACCRINGTON STANLEY
ALDERSHOT TOWN
BARNET
BRADFORD CITY
BRISTOL ROVERS
BURTON ALBION
CHELTENHAM TOWN
CRAWLEY TOWN
CREWE ALEXANDRA
DAGENHAM & REDBRIDGE
GILLINGHAM
HEREFORD UNITED
MACCLESFIELD TOWN
MORECAMBE not new ground
NORTHAMPTON TOWN
OXFORD UNITED
PLYMOUTH ARGYLE
ROTHERHAM UNITED been to old ground and don valley
SHREWSBURY TOWN not new ground
SOUTHEND UNITED
TORQUAY UNITED Class place for a weekend :wink:

WellingtonHibby
21-01-2012, 06:30 AM
Blundell park. GTFC. Top wee ground. Also the withdean at Brighton, seemingly made out of boxes and netting.

blackpoolhibs
21-01-2012, 07:09 AM
Fisher athletic v Barnet. Barnet won i forget the score 3-0 4-0? This gave them promotion to the old 4th division, all i remember is Barry Fry running up and down the side every time they scored. Great scenes at the end, with Barnet taking quite a few fans there. If i remember rightly, Fisher had a stand like the old Airdrie one in the corner?

Comiston Hibee
21-01-2012, 07:19 AM
Oakwell to see Barnsley lose 1-2 against Notts County. Leeds legend Norman "bites your legs" Hunter scored fir the Tykes, but a brace from the fatastically named Mike Brolley saw Notts edge it, April 1983.

Also saw fulham v bournmouth ( managed by john bond) in 1990 when they were both in the old 3rd division. I worked for the company who sponsored the match ball and met Jimmy Hill, top geezer (told a story about breaking andy goram's dad leg in a tackle)

dirtydirk
21-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Doncaster - belle vue. Total dive of a stadium and donny played a 0-0 draw with Chesterfield

SouthEnglandHib
21-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Oxford is pretty nice, excellent view of the car park from the away end ;)

The less said about Barnet the better!

Try visiting The Lamex.

Been to 51 of the 72 championship and below,
Loads of conf and 13 premier league to answer your question

micka_weer
21-01-2012, 07:53 AM
When I was young, my family went to France a lot and my dad used to take us to the local teams games wherever we were at the time. Generally the equivalent of 2nd division here. Can't remember the teams we went to see as I was very young and don't have any programmes. However, I do remember the last game we went to, it was a cup game and the local team were hosting PSG, strangely there was only a few hundred turned up to watch

Sunny1875
21-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Been Down to York City's Bootham crescent on occasion, Saw the Minstermen progress in the FA cup knocking out an Arsenal side Containing Lucik, Sansom , O'leary , Woodcock and Nicholas, Anyone tell us who scored the York City goal to put Arsenal out ?

Also saw them in Manchester the night they Humbled Man Utd 3-0 at old trafford, SAF fielding a weak team which contained Beckham, Mclair and Giggs but a keeper whom i cant remember. For the 2nd leg which I missed utd put a full strength team out won 3-1 and exited the competition

Bishop Hibee
21-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Abbey Stadium, Cambridge. I was down on a course with work and Cambridge Utd v Luton Town was on on the Wednesday night. Most memorable for Luton being 3-0 up with 15 minutes to go and the final score being 3-3. Hibs 2011-12 style defending. The ground reminded me of Brockville. Place erupted when the U's equalised.

Lago
21-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Luton, Kennleworth Road many years ago.

Thecat23
21-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Stockport County, Went with Big Joleon Lescott to see his brother playing. Carlton Palmer was also playing and was truly honking.

Pretty Boy
21-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Lincoln City just last Saturday with the other halfs old man to watch then scrape a 0-0 draw against Carshalton Athletic from about 4 leagues below them.

Riveting stuff

Also been to York, Luton, Telford and i suppose Leeds are technically lower league as well now.

Austinho
21-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Championship: seen Leeds Utd at home against Hull, as well as Man United and Arsenal in the FA Cup.
League 1: couple of Carlisle United home games against Millwall, Doncaster and Hibs!
Non League: Followed Halifax Town a few times in Conference North and Evo-Stik League (used to be the Unibond). Seen them away to Harrogate at Wetherby Road and against Charlton Athletic in the FA Cup at The Shay.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
21-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Countless Ryman League grounds in the south-east following Tooting and Mitcham United and FA Vase/Trophy grounds as far away as Arnold (near Nottingham), Mangotsfield (Bristol) and Taunton. My favourite is probably The Dripping Pan at Lewes in Sussex (the excellent local Harvey's beer helps of course !).

For league grounds, the Old and New Dens (Millwall), Underhill (Barnet), Bescot (Walsall). But non-league is much more fun.

Bostonhibby
21-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Lincoln city's Sincil Bank.

Terrible terrible ground. But good atmospher.

C'mon the Imps

:agree::greengrin soft spot for the Imps, been loads of times but when did you last see so many different structures in one ground? All dwarfed by the massive stand - some of the winds that hit you there are straight from Siberia as the stand has to be one of the highest point in the county!

Halifaxhibby
21-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Been to the shay stadium a few times as i work in Halifax, couple of years back, ground was being renovated at the time but quite enjoyable. More like a junior game but plenty of effort from the shaymen.

Was down at ayresome park as a lad with my football club, great atmosphere, decent crowd as well, got a tour of the stadium beforehand and met Mogga and Bernie slaven who signed our programmes.

Got a few friends in Middlesboro so went down about 5 years back when they were in the premiership to see them play Liverpool, Zenden had Gerrard in his back pocket and the boro won 1-0.

therealgavmac
21-01-2012, 04:11 PM
The Old Vicarage Road (Watford)
The old Gay Meadow lol (Shrewsbury) both with West Ham

Gander Green Lane (Sutton United) with Carshalton Athletic - heady days!!!

Bostonhibby
21-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Been to the shay stadium a few times as i work in Halifax, couple of years back, ground was being renovated at the time but quite enjoyable. More like a junior game but plenty of effort from the shaymen.

Was down at ayresome park as a lad with my football club, great atmosphere, decent crowd as well, got a tour of the stadium beforehand and met Mogga and Bernie slaven who signed our programmes.

Got a few friends in Middlesboro so went down about 5 years back when they were in the premiership to see them play Liverpool, Zenden had Gerrard in his back pocket and the boro won 1-0.

:greengrin me too, long time back, cant even remember who they were playing now (Boston Utd?), bloody freezing though, good night out in Halifax with my mate from Barkisland, got to be amongst the cheapest beer in the country!?

Gala Foxes
21-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Walsall - Old Stadium with Hibs
Walsall - Bescot for Walsall-Oldham
Grimsby - with Leicester
Palace - with Leicester
Barnsley - with Leicester
Preston - with Hibs + Leicester
Carlisle - with Hibs + Leicester
Watford - with Leicester
Crawley Town
Gillingham - many times
Wimbledon - Plough Lane
Boro - Ayresome + Riverside with Leicester
Birmingham - with Leicester
Forest - with Leicester
Sheff Utd & Sheff Wed - with Leicester
Leeds - with Leicester

LancashireHibby
21-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Won't count non-league grounds I went to with Leigh RMI as frankly I've lost count! Stevenage when they were non league though and Bury (Leigh away to FC United), and an LDV Trophy tie away to Hull City at Boothferry Park when they were League Two.

Of the League One/Two grounds, I've been to Walsall and Tranmere watching Bolton. Been to Huddersfield, Sheffield Utd, Brentford, Oldham, Bury, Rochdale and Rotherham (Don Valley) watching rugby.

Been to Preston to watch Hibs and earlier in the season against Sheff Utd. Been to both of Morecambe's grounds and went to Bradford v Leyton Orient the other year.

HKhibby
21-01-2012, 11:34 PM
I'm taking my first trip to The Kassam Stadium down here to watch Oxford take on the might of Hereford tomorrow. £17 (inc booking fee) seems like decent value, but I've yet to experience 90 minutes of League 2, so don't quote me on that!!

Just wondering, which lower league - below the Championship say - ground in England you've been to, and following whom?? (assuming it's not Hibs obviously!!)

I'm quite looking forward to the match day experience, pub before and after, and also as the possible move of James Constable to Swindon (equivalent of O'Connor moving to Hearts) has been rejected by the player himself, there should be a decent atmosphere!!

not been to too many lower league grounds below the championship, infact i think the only one is Welling UTD, from the conference, it was against Wycombe Wanderers, and Martin Oneil was manager of Wycombe at the time, the score was 3-0 to Wycombe.
Brentford maybe the only other one, as they have been in championship 1/2 etc.., other than that the only other ones have been championship...who have also been premiership too, Upton Park, West Ham, Selhurst Park Crystal Palace, the Valley, Charlton, out of these i would say Upton Park was the best for atmosphere

HibeeMG
22-01-2012, 01:37 AM
Blackpool - to watch FC United of Manchester against Blackpool Mechanics. It got moved to Bloomfield Road because of the amount of FC Utd fans that were making the trip. As was customary in those days/leagues we all invaded the pitch. Good day out. :wink:

Bury - Went with a friend who was a Bury supporter. Not the best day out.

Macclesfield - Hibs friendly

Preston - Hibs friendly

Stockport - Again, with a mate who supported them.

Gala Foxes
22-01-2012, 07:51 AM
watching the Football League Show reminded me of one I missed -

Brighton - Goldstone Ground

LancsHibs
22-01-2012, 08:34 AM
From league 1: Carlton, Huddersfield (old & new), Sheffield united, Bury, Preston, Oldham, Tranmere, Scunthorpe, Walsall, Rochdale & chesterfield
From league 2: Shrewsbury (old), Accrington, Crewe, Port Vale, Rotherham (old), Morecambe (old & new), Macclesfield, Bradford City,
From conference: Wrexham, Fleetwood, Cambridge, Southport, Mansfield, Lincoln, Stockport
Quite a few then when :thumbsup: