PDA

View Full Version : Should Pat McGinlay have had a testimonial?

beensaidbefore
20-01-2012, 05:20 PM
After reading the 'Overlooked Hibees' thread, I was looking more closely at Pat McGinlay and noticed that he played 12 years in total (according to wikipedia, so I stand to be corrected). Given that Ian Murray is getting a testimonal season (deservedly), should McGinlay have at least had a traditional testimonial?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_McGinlay

blackpoolhibs
20-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Not in my opinion, he made his testimonial money when he moved and then came back.

Gala Foxes
20-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Maggie McGinlay gave me 2 comp tickets outside Love Street before a St Mirren - Hibs game - so I would say yes on that basis alone

Scouse Hibee
20-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Errrrrrrrrrrr nah not gonna bother opening another can of worms.

beensaidbefore
20-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Not in my opinion, he made his testimonial money when he moved and then came back.

Fair point. Dont want this thread into a Murray debate, but I think its not like the guys make millions. Admittedly, even then, a fair bit more than your average joe, but i think anyone that gives that kina service to the club deserves a bit back.

I hardly ever hear his name mentioned and to be fair he was a decent player, and scored a few good goals. Maybe im just viewing it through green tinted glasses as he wes one of my heroes growing up.

fat freddy
20-01-2012, 05:34 PM
at tynie sitting in the enlosure just beneath the main stand, pats wife appeared with a tray of pies at half time for all the hibbies in the area...she stole them from hospitality and passed them round....then she resumed her usual shouting and screaming when the 2nd half kicked off.

not only should pat have had a testimonial but we should erect a statue of him and his missus....the best WAG hibs have ever had.

blackpoolhibs
20-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Fair point. Dont want this thread into a Murray debate, but I think its not like the guys make millions. Admittedly, even then, a fair bit more than your average joe, but i think anyone that gives that kina service to the club deserves a bit back.

I hardly ever hear his name mentioned and to be fair he was a decent player, and scored a few good goals. Maybe im just viewing it through green tinted glasses as he wes one of my heroes growing up.

I'm confused, what has this got to do with Murray? My opinion is if you leave then come back, you have then become ineligible for a testimonial.

beensaidbefore
20-01-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm confused, what has this got to do with Murray? My opinion is if you leave then come back, you have then become ineligible for a testimonial.

Fairly sure Murray did that and is now getting a testimonal season.

And as mentioned in OP, and also considering previous Murray testimonal right/wrong threads, i dont want this one to go same route.

Ricky Bobby
20-01-2012, 05:53 PM
I don't personally think Pat should have had a testamonial as has been pointed out he left and came back.
But i would like to throw another name into the mix. Joe Tortolano, now whatever you think of Joe's abilities and I realise these are pretty mixed, there can be no doubt that he gave all he had over more than 10 years for our club and made well over 200 appearances. I know from speaking to Joe that he was told at the time by Alex Miller that his signing on fee when moving to Falkirk would be comprable to what he would get as a testamonial, and that basically that was all he was getting, and that to my mind is pretty shameful.

beensaidbefore
20-01-2012, 06:00 PM
I don't personally think Pat should have had a testamonial as has been pointed out he left and came back.
But i would like to throw another name into the mix. Joe Tortolano, now whatever you think of Joe's abilities and I realise these are pretty mixed, there can be no doubt that he gave all he had over more than 10 years for our club and made well over 200 appearances. I know from speaking to Joe that he was told at the time by Alex Miller that his signing on fee when moving to Falkirk would be comprable to what he would get as a testamonial, and that basically that was all he was getting, and that to my mind is pretty shameful.

If thats true, and im not doubting it for a second, then it is a complete and utter disgrace. Its a shame thats how we treat our players. Wonder what hes doing now.

He goes down in my family as Joe Tortoise and i think my we bro still thinks thats what hes called!

blackpoolhibs
20-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Fairly sure Murray did that and is now getting a testimonal season.

And as mentioned in OP, and also considering previous Murray testimonal right/wrong threads, i dont want this one to go same route.

Murray did leave and come back, i personally dont think he or anyone who does this deserves to get one.

beensaidbefore
20-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Murray did leave and come back, i personally dont think he or anyone who does this deserves to get one.

I fully respect your opinion on the matter, but after reviewing my OP i thought with the (deservedly) I felt I may have welcomed a debate on the Murray matter, which I didn't intend and tried to clear up with my following post.
:wink:

lyonhibs
20-01-2012, 06:09 PM
He was one of my Hibs heros growing up, and scored some invaluable goals for us. I'd have attended his testimonial, but I can see why leaving and coming back would disqualify him in some people's minds

blackpoolhibs
20-01-2012, 06:11 PM
I fully respect your opinion on the matter, but after reviewing my OP i thought with the (deservedly) I felt I may have welcomed a debate on the Murray matter, which I didn't intend and tried to clear up with my following post.
:wink:

No problem, as i said my opinion has nothing to do with Murray, i just dont think anyone who leaves deserves a testimonial?

Ricky Bobby
20-01-2012, 06:29 PM
If thats true, and im not doubting it for a second, then it is a complete and utter disgrace. Its a shame thats how we treat our players. Wonder what hes doing now.

He goes down in my family as Joe Tortoise and i think my we bro still thinks thats what hes called!

Joe now works in Stirling checking water quality in companies throughout Edinburgh. He still talks with great fondness for Hibs. He recently featured in Ian Murray's testamonial and was made up with the reception he got from the fans that day. Like I say it seems a shame that someone who put as much effort in as Joe never got the recognition he deserved in the form of a testamonial. i don't doubt that Joe made reasonably good money when he was at Hibs but I can assure you he is far from the wealthy ex footballer.

drumatic44
20-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Definately he should , I remember thinking that at the time he retired. Gave 100% to Hibs despite his Celtic allegiances, pure energy box to box ( and no EDG snide comments please ) and he scored regularly. How we could do with him now !!!

3pm
20-01-2012, 06:34 PM
I can't stand Pat McGinlay.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-01-2012, 07:04 PM
I think that Pat was an underated player and he was no more than a so what signing when we picked him from Blackpool. Turned out to be one of my favourite Hibbies though. I am not sure that I agree with testimonials though. Don't want to be completely anal but I wonder if better financial advice during their playing careers may negate the need for testimonial anyway.

As an aside to a post above, didn't Tortolano sign for Dundee, rather than Falkirk?

Ricky Bobby
20-01-2012, 07:09 PM
I think that Pat was an underated player and he was no more than a so what signing when we picked him from Blackpool. Turned out to be one of my favourite Hibbies though. I am not sure that I agree with testimonials though. Don't want to be completely anal but I wonder if better financial advice during their playing careers may negate the need for testimonial anyway.

As an aside to a post above, didn't Tortolano sign for Dundee, rather than Falkirk?

Torto never played for Dundee, signed for Falkirk and got a torrid time from their fans, hates them to this day.

O'Rourke3
20-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Rules at the time would have disallowed it and it's unlikely that despite the debate he'd get one now but he deserves one if IM does too. Always gave his all, we missed him when he was away and scored plenty on return.

Re Joe T. Should have had one for the service. I maintain that no matter what your job was, hearing fans boo when your name was read out over the tannoy, then getting on your back for the first mistake you make, would play with anyone's confidence, but that's Hibs fans for you. I'm sure there were those that wondered why we'd bothered with Suazee or Latapy after their first half.

iain nolan
20-01-2012, 07:16 PM
12 years off good service to the club , i think he should have got a testimonial . you wont get this kind off service off players today and looking back we maybe forget thats players enjoyed playing for the hibees for this number off years . players are coming and going ever season so who will be next to get a testimonial

smurf
20-01-2012, 07:18 PM
I can't stand Pat McGinlay.

Why?:confused:

frazeHFC
20-01-2012, 07:22 PM
No problem, as i said my opinion has nothing to do with Murray, i just dont think anyone who leaves deserves a testimonial?

:agree:

Bishop Hibee
20-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Pat was a great player for us but a testimonial should be for 10 years continuous service from a players debut.

As for Torto:rolleyes: He must have been great in training because there were too many games when he was awful. His performance at Ibrox in a 4-2 Wednesday night defeat was beyond dire. A game in which McGinlay equalised to make it 2-2 and was immense.

Jonnyboy
20-01-2012, 07:24 PM

Ditto

Eyrie
20-01-2012, 07:44 PM
McGinlay was one of my favourite players, but on balance I'm fine with him not getting one because he left for Celtic. Cost us nearly as much to bring him back as we sold him for.

Super Joe? One game in four he'd be superb, the other three were nightmares. He'd have been better if we'd used him as a wingback but those were the days of 4.4.2.

jdships
20-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Errrrrrrrrrrr nah not gonna bother opening another can of worms.

"AMEN" to that :na na:

jdships
20-01-2012, 07:48 PM

:agree::top marks

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Out of the 3 players quoted Joe should be the only one to have received a testimonial for unbroken service to the club, the other 2 were undoubtedly better players, but, for the reasons stated by BH don't deserve a testimonial.

3pm
20-01-2012, 07:58 PM

Kissed the scarf after the '91 LC win. Jumped at the £'s signs which you can't blame him for. Shiiiite when he came back.

King Paddy
20-01-2012, 07:58 PM
12 years off good service to the club , i think he should have got a testimonial . you wont get this kind off service off players today and looking back we maybe forget thats players enjoyed playing for the hibees for this number off years . players are coming and going ever season so who will be next to get a testimonial

Plenty of players of the same standard as Pat Mcginley who never received a testimonial, Bobby Combe,
Tommy Preston, John Baxter all having given service to Hibs over 12 years.

Cabbage East
20-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Pat McGinlay was a wonderful footballer.

Captain Trips
20-01-2012, 08:08 PM

Never let any club down with chipping in with goals that is for sure, looking at what we have had in midfield over last few years really IMO shows how good the likes of Pat, Weir etc actually were.

Pat for me was one of the best players we have had in midfield in my time and will always get into a top 11 for me, showed a good attitude and bust a gut to get onto the end of moves to finish them off. It must be extremley rare for a non OF team in Scotland to sign their top scorer from them, has the happened before or since?

Cheers Pat.

HibbyAndy
20-01-2012, 08:11 PM

Never let any club down with chipping in with goals that is for sure, looking at what we have had in midfield over last few years really IMO shows how good the likes of Pat, Weir etc actually were.

Pat for me was one of the best players we have had in midfield in my time and will always get into a top 11 for me, showed a good attitude and bust a gut to get onto the end of moves to finish them off.

Cheers Pat.

That would be my take on it.

Mcginlay was a wonderful player for Hibernian and would be in my starting 11 week in week out.

Cheers Pat.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-01-2012, 08:17 PM
What the players did for the club isnt the OP's question though. Pat has been one of my favourites whilst supporting Hibs, nobody deserves a testimonial if its for more than 1 spell at any particular club.

Jonnyboy
20-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Kissed the scarf after the '91 LC win. Jumped at the £'s signs which you can't blame him for. Shiiiite when he came back.

So unforgiving :wink:

"Jumped at the £ signs" could also read "Got the chance to play for the club he supported as a boy" :greengrin

Pat played more than 350 games for Hibs and scored around 80 goals. Was always a favourite but each to their own :wink:

3pm
20-01-2012, 08:26 PM
So unforgiving :wink:

"Jumped at the £ signs" could also read "Got the chance to play for the club he supported as a boy" :greengrin

Pat played more than 350 games for Hibs and scored around 80 goals. Was always a favourite but each to their own :wink:

It's strange John because generally I see the 'bigger picture', ie Supported Celtc, more cash and potentially trophies (see my contribution to the KT thread).

Dunno what it is about him! I was youunger and not as rationa I suppose! :o)

Jonnyboy
20-01-2012, 08:32 PM
It's strange John because generally I see the 'bigger picture', ie Supported Celtc, more cash and potentially trophies (see my contribution to the KT thread).

Dunno what it is about him! I was youunger and not as rationa I suppose! :o)

:greengrin Look on the bright side ..... I've never been rationa :wink::greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Torto never played for Dundee, signed for Falkirk and got a torrid time from their fans, hates them to this day.

oops. Must have been thinking about Joe McBride.

ekhibee
20-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Although I always thought McGinlay was quite a lazy player, who never quite fulfilled the ability that he definitely had, yes, I would definitely have given him a testimonial, but I'm not really a great fan of testimonials anyway, so I'm probably not the best person to comment really!

Allant1981
20-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Although I always thought McGinlay was quite a lazy player, who never quite fulfilled the ability that he definitely had, yes, I would definitely have given him a testimonial, but I'm not really a great fan of testimonials anyway, so I'm probably not the best person to comment really!

you seriously think that mcginlay was a lazy player?

3pm
20-01-2012, 09:50 PM
:greengrin Look on the bright side ..... I've never been rationa :wink::greengrin

No answer to that!! JB 1, 3pm 0!

beensaidbefore
20-01-2012, 10:03 PM

Before he left 145 games 23 goals, when he came back 176 games 39 goals.... questionable that his first stint was more successful than his second?

lyonhibs
20-01-2012, 10:16 PM
A very quick bit of mental arithmetic tells me that his goals per game ratio was better the 2nd time around, which is when I most remember him from. A Hibs hero for sure.

Saorsa
20-01-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm not big on testimonials but if Ian Murray is deserving of one then so was Pat McGinlay IMO. A great servant tae this club in both his times at Easter Road and one of my favourite players of the time. :agree:

The one and only time I ever got a player's name on the back of one of my jerseys (that luminous yellae one) and he left no long efter :greengrin

Albion Hibs
20-01-2012, 10:51 PM
I think McGinlay does deserve one. I dont buy into this ten years in a row pash, especially in the modern game. For me any player who gives 10 years of his career to one club deserves a testimonial.

I would also say a testimonial is not just for the player it is for the fans. Last Sunday proved that, it was a great occassion and a great day out for Hibs fans, very little to do with Murray, more about the day the occassion, the booze and some classic hibs tunes to end the day. We all benefit it we chose to share in it.

beensaidbefore
21-01-2012, 12:13 AM
Plenty of players of the same standard as Pat Mcginley who never received a testimonial, Bobby Combe,
Tommy Preston, John Baxter all having given service to Hibs over 12 years.

Are these guys still alive? If so, maybe we shoul dtry to arrange a testimonial 'for those that should have have but didn't' any funds raised could be split equally among the players. None of them would be expecting so everything eould be a pleasant reward for time served. A 'Hibernian Divident' if you like?

How many years did Willie Miller & Graeme Mitchell Play?

nonshinyfinish
21-01-2012, 01:08 AM
What the players did for the club isnt the OP's question though. Pat has been one of my favourites whilst supporting Hibs, nobody deserves a testimonial if its for more than 1 spell at any particular club.

Where does this come from? And where does the '10 year' rule come from? Both seem somewhat arbitrary to me.

KWJ
21-01-2012, 02:38 AM
McGinley got a hard time from a lot of supporters, was the main man for many a boo boy. I always liked him.

FWIW Lewis Stevenson is only 3 years away from a testimonial.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-01-2012, 03:22 AM
Where does this come from? And where does the '10 year' rule come from? Both seem somewhat arbitrary to me.

Tradition used to dictate it, perhaps times have changed.

micka_weer
21-01-2012, 07:45 AM
I've cried twice due to football in my life, when we were relegated and when we sold Pat to Celtic. Would happily give Pat my last fiver for his contribution to the club. Doubt there will be many players nowadays who get anywhere near 10 years full, or broken, service to one club. So, yes, I would've given him a testimonial without a doubt.

lucky
21-01-2012, 08:19 AM
I think you only deserve a testimonial if you stay at 1 club your whole career. Pat scored lots of goals for Hibs and got his move to the wee greens. I would imagine that he would have got increased wages and a signing on fee. Just like Ian Murray and Katie. If lewis Stevenson stays at Hibs for his whole career then yes he would qualify.

Delboy*
21-01-2012, 09:38 AM
The guy is a Hibs hero as far as I'm concerned!
Players with genuine quality will get the opportunity of a move to a team that offers much more in money and medals and I defy anyone that would hold that against them unless the player was a complete tw*t about it.
Pat got his move but the most important thing is, he came back home!
(was he no the top-scorer for Celtic that season?)

Thanks Pat, ur one of my Hibee heros!

Greentinted
21-01-2012, 09:47 AM
I think you only deserve a testimonial if you stay at 1 club your whole career. Pat scored lots of goals for Hibs and got his move to the wee greens. I would imagine that he would have got increased wages and a signing on fee. Just like Ian Murray and Katie. If lewis Stevenson stays at Hibs for his whole career then yes he would qualify.

By that reckoning there'd be very few players who would qualify. Gordon Hunter springs to mind, but no Stanton, Duncan, Sneddon, or Rae, etc.

As for Pat, I'm a bit torn. Is the 10 year unbroken service thing set in stone or just been adopted as tradition? It's been mentioned before that testimonial/benefit games are also a way in which fans can express their appreciation for a club stalwart so in that sense aye, why not. He wouldn't have been the only one (did Hearts not afford Robertson a testimonial, and Motherwell Craigan for example?) and in any event, I reckon we'll be waiting a long time before another cherished player serves ten years with any SPL club - unbroken or not.

Bobo
21-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Everyone will have players whom they think deserved and should have had testimonials and as the normal rule of thumb seems to be a minimum of 10 years service, there's not many players that will qualify nowadays never mind in the past.

That being the case why didn't players like John Blackley, Benny Brazil and Peter Cormack (over to spells) get recognition by way of a testimonial? Many other players could have been at clubs for 10 years but not play as regularly as others did, does that make their length of service and loyalty any less deserving?

Look at the case of Eddie Turnbull, he was one of our Famous Five and served well over the obligatory 10 years as a player, coach and manager, for Hibs, why did he never receive a testimonial? :confused:

H18sry
21-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Pat McGinlay made me a good few pounds as a goal scoring midfielder back in the day :thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
21-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Ian Murray has a testimonial after breaking up his service with Huns and Naaaarwich, why shouldn't Pat MCGinley for breaking up his with Smeltic?

weecounty hibby
21-01-2012, 12:57 PM
I don't really agree with testimonials nowadays for any one. The first I attended was Pat Stantons and have been at them all since then with the exception of IMs. McGinlay was a real good player for us and gave us good service in two spells but has been pointed out so have many others who didn't get testimonials. As for Joe T he never missed an Alloa branch POTY dance and was always on good form, still has nothing but good things to say about the club and was probably as deseving as anyone to have received a testimonial. Anyone else remember half time against Anderlecht at ER and Joe knocking in free kick after free kick into the top corner, pity he couldn't do it when the games were actually in play!

heretoday
21-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Alan Sneddon played over 300 games for Hibs. Never realised that. Was there ever any question of him getting a testimonial?

Captain Trips
26-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Never mind a testimonal ffs he could probaly get a game now with this lot.

allezsauzee
26-01-2012, 11:44 AM

Pat wasn't ****** when he came back. As much as i loved Pat as a player for us, my view is that testimonials should be for continuous service. However, at the end of the day we all have the choice whether we want to honour their service or not.

superfurryhibby
26-01-2012, 11:47 AM
McGinley got a hard time from a lot of supporters, was the main man for many a boo boy. I always liked him.

FWIW Lewis Stevenson is only 3 years away from a testimonial.

No recollection of Pat getting it tight from fans, if he ever did it was nothing compared to the abuse dished out to guys like Joe T and BRian Hamilton.

Pat was some player, if only we had him around now!

Should have had some recognition from the club for his service. Certainly worthy!

Peevemor
26-01-2012, 12:00 PM
No recollection of Pat getting it tight from fans, if he ever did it was nothing compared to the abuse dished out to guys like Joe T and BRian Hamilton.

Pat was some player, if only we had him around now!

Should have had some recognition from the club for his service. Certainly worthy!

He did start gettig some stick during his final season but, as you say, it was nothing compared to some players.

I remember he was inconsolable when he played his final game for Hibs at the PBS.

Shrekko
26-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Alan Sneddon played over 300 games for Hibs. Never realised that. Was there ever any question of him getting a testimonial?

He got one.

allezsauzee
26-01-2012, 02:33 PM
He got one.

4-2 victory over Aston Villa with Keith scoring all 4 of our goals and Kenny Dalglish playing in midfield for us.

Eyrie
26-01-2012, 06:54 PM
4-2 victory over Aston Villa with Keith scoring all 4 of our goals and Kenny Dalglish playing in midfield for us.
I don't think Dalglish left the centre circle for the entire first half that he played, yet he set up the goals with his passing.

Scouse Hibee
26-01-2012, 06:58 PM
I don't think Dalglish left the centre circle for the entire first half that he played, yet he set up the goals with his passing.

:agree: Magic moment for me seeing King Kenny in a Hibs shirt and still showing the ability to feed Wright ala Rush.