PDA

View Full Version : Ally McLeod

htfc
20-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Hi,
New on here, I am trying to get in contact with the former Hibs footballer, Ally McLeod, does anyone what he is up to these days, or where I can contact him?

Thanks
htfc

IFONLY
20-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Hi,
New on here, I am trying to get in contact with the former Hibs footballer, Ally McLeod, does anyone what he is up to these days, or where I can contact him?

Thanks
htfc

Try a Oujia board or a spiritaulist.

Kevvy1875
20-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Hi,

Thanks
htfc

If you mean this Ally McLeod then sorry to be the bearer of bad news, he passed away a few years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ally_MacLeod

The_Todd
20-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Suspect he means this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ally_McLeod

htfc
20-01-2012, 07:14 PM
If you mean this Ally McLeod then sorry to be the bearer of bad news, he passed away a few years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ally_MacLeod

No I mean the other Ally McLeod who played for you in the 70's I think. He was on loan at Huddersfield in the early 70's, I think he also played for Southampton.

Sammy7nil
20-01-2012, 07:19 PM
No idea where he is but what a great player.
An earlier and Burlier version of Derek Riordan

Golden Bear
20-01-2012, 07:29 PM

I thought Ally was a genius but he was another player whom the fans had divided opinions over his abilities.

poolman
20-01-2012, 07:32 PM

:agree: Not blessed with the greatest speed but one of the most skillful players I have seen :agree:

lucky
20-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Scored what I regard as the best Hibs goal I've seen. With his free kick into top right corner. Ref made him take it again he put it in the top left. I think it was against Dundee.

jodjam
20-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Scored what I regard as the best Hibs goal I've seen. With his free kick into top right corner. Ref made him take it again he put it in the top left. I think it was against Dundee.

Sure was against Dundee, cracking goal. He was one of my early Hibs heroes.

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-01-2012, 08:24 PM
An infuriating player at times, I used to give him dogs abuse cos I just didn't like him but compared to nowadays I wished I'd kept my big gob shut!

:rolleyes:

Jonnyboy
20-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Ally joined Hibs in December 1974 from Southampton who had signed him from St Mirren after he scored all four goals for his side when they won 4-1 at Ibrox. Played over 200 league games for Hibs and scored seventy odd goals. As mentioned above he was a burly guy who was often accused of being a lazy player but what is not in doubt is that he had tremendous footballing ability. Unfortunately I can't offer any info on his current whereabouts

Kato
20-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Burlier version of Derek Riordan

Nice understatement considering he was a fat bassa.

Ally was a class footballer and not a very fit one once he past his mid twenties. He had that knack of knowing all the angles on the park, where his opponents and team-mates were and could pick out a pass in an Alex Edwards style (no quite as good though). Also a had a really huffy attitude which obviously pissed off a lot of hibbies but it usually pissed off his opponents as well as he could make them look pretty silly at times. I remember him running after a ball once and you could see he wasn't going to get there so 20 yards short he just stopped stone dead, saying "f*** that" and turning round. Guys around us went doolally as wasn't showing "desire". I just thought he knew he had so little puff he was just saving it for something he knew was going to get. When he had Des Bremner doing the graft for him and Ralph Callachan making space, he was hugely entertaining.

Kato
20-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Ally joined Hibs in December 1974 from Southampton who had signed him from St Mirren after he scored all four goals for his side when they won 4-1 at Ibrox. Played over 200 league games for Hibs and scored seventy odd goals. As mentioned above he was a burly guy who was often accused of being a lazy player but what is not in doubt is that he had tremendous footballing ability. Unfortunately I can't offer any info on his current whereabouts

He was present at the Turnbull Tribute game v Aberdeen at the end of last season, I think.

tanfield
20-01-2012, 09:01 PM
My first Hibs hero!

Hibbyradge
20-01-2012, 09:11 PM

Bottom left and bottom right! :wink:

Hibee Hibernian
20-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Not being nosey mate - what do you want him for ? :cb

Hibbyradge
20-01-2012, 09:23 PM

I'm not sure how you could be any nosier! :greengrin

lucky
20-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Bottom left and bottom right! :wink:

Not what I remember. But was about 30 years ago.

Liberal Hibby
20-01-2012, 11:57 PM

I thought it was one of each! But it was one of the best pieces of skill I've ever seen. McLeod was also the only person who had the football intelligence to understand George Best. I remember the SC semi final at Hampden in 80/81(?) in a/the year we got relegated v Celtc - Best played for half an hour and gave up as no-one on either side could work out what he was going to do. I don't think McLeod played that day - but if he had we might not have got beat 5-0. We would of course have got beat.

Peevemor
20-01-2012, 11:59 PM

Was it not top right then bottom left?

Liberal Hibby
21-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Was it not top right then bottom left?

Bottom left, top right - first one was a bit of a scoop over the wall. Second was a belter onto the top corner.

Peevemor
21-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Bottom left, top right - first one was a bit of a scoop over the wall. Second was a belter onto the top corner.

I remember the free kicks, just not the order they were taken.

Liberal Hibby
21-01-2012, 12:04 AM
I remember the free kicks, just not the order they were taken.

Ach - same here. Age is a bugger!

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-01-2012, 12:06 AM
My first Hibs hero!

Me too!

sleeping giant
21-01-2012, 12:07 AM

:rotflmao:

Peevemor
21-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Me too!

And me. I remember his last game against Morton at Cappielow. I wasn't a happy laddie! :boo hoo:

Saorsa
21-01-2012, 12:11 AM
Not being nosey mate - what do you want him for ? :cbhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1625000/images/_1625584_mrnosey300.jpg

StevieC
21-01-2012, 12:20 AM
My first ever derby game .. Tynecastle 78ish? .. Ally McLeod scored in the last minute to earn a 1-1 draw .. didn't go down well with the home support and sparked one of the most violent ends to a football match I've ever witnessed.

Hibbyradge
21-01-2012, 12:32 AM
In my mind's eye, both free kicks were low.

But i'd be delighted to se them again and be proved wrong. :greengrin

Liberal Hibby
21-01-2012, 12:46 AM
In my mind's eye, both free kicks were low.

But i'd be delighted to se them again and be proved wrong. :greengrin

Anyone got some super 8 in their attic?

(Obviously - not that sort of super 8)...

weecounty hibby
21-01-2012, 12:25 PM
My first Hibs hero!

Mine too, give me his kind of football any day. Not much of a runner but what a fantastic passer of the ball and a really good goalscorer too.

Apologies to the OP but I have no idea what he is up to!