PDA

View Full Version : BBC Alba

big-mo
20-01-2012, 01:09 PM
The Hibs v Saints match will be the delayed transmission match on Saturday evening starting at 17:30 on BBC Alba.

I watch a lot of these Alba games but it has not given me any help learning the Gaelic, the only thing I can make out is the players names, including those that they translate Ian to Eion etc.
I am still not sure when the say 'Jack in the Box' if it is something that means something in Gaelic or just a English language saying that they use a lot? :confused:

Is they anyone in the .net community that 'has the Gaelic' that prefers watching the games on Alba?

HH81
20-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Cheers for the heads up....

Couple of times I have avoided the scores and just watched it on Alba, the games have been awful though but think I will give it another try tomorrow.

davemcbain
20-01-2012, 02:10 PM
The Hibs v Saints match will be the delayed transmission match on Saturday evening starting at 17:30 on BBC Alba.

I watch a lot of these Alba games but it has not given me any help learning the Gaelic, the only thing I can make out is the players names, including those that they translate Ian to Eion etc.
I am still not sure when the say 'Jack in the Box' if it is something that means something in Gaelic or just a English language saying that they use a lot? :confused:

Is they anyone in the .net community that 'has the Gaelic' that prefers watching the games on Alba?

Not sure about having the gaelic - but I prefer watching games on Alba to pretty well any others....largely because they don't feature the old phlem every single week.

From my limited knowledge of the language, I do make a point of looking out for the word boorach any time the Hibs defence are mentioned.

Bristolhibby
20-01-2012, 02:13 PM
I too will be avoiding the score.

Have we ever won a game on Alba. I can't remember it ever happening.

The worst one was that 1-0 defeat to the Arabs last season IIRC. A dirge game where they score the one and only goal on the 89th minute.

Pallson was great that day though. Unfortunately he peaked too early.

J

davemcbain
20-01-2012, 02:16 PM
J

One of the first ones they showed was a win against Ehberrdene

Bristolhibby
20-01-2012, 02:19 PM
One of the first ones they showed was a win against Ehberrdene

Must have missed that one.

The stats must be bad on Alba, that said our stats anyway are bad.

Well I shall be switching twitter and Sky Aports off tomorrow.

GGTTH!

J

Hibee87
20-01-2012, 02:24 PM

The worst one was that 1-0 defeat to the Arabs last season IIRC. A dirge game where they score the one and only goal on the 89th minute.

J

Yes 3-2 v st mirren this season. watched with the missus in the house and mind thinking here we go again when they went 2-1 up in the space of 5 min then 3-2 before the end of the first, second half was a bit nervy and sodje missed an open goal form about 3 yards out :wink:

Andy74
20-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Being an uberfan Im normally on the way home from the game so my Gaelic hasn't proved any.

Baldy Foghorn
20-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Being an uberfan Im normally on the way home from the game so my Gaelic hasn't proved any.

Your use of the English language has not improved either:greengrin:greengrin

HibeeMG
20-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Because the game is on Alba it will more than likely be available to watch over t'internet......

If it is, feel free to send a PM for a website address which may or may not link you to it. You never saw me, right? :wink:

Kaff
20-01-2012, 06:27 PM

Haha - I've also noticed that 'Jack in the Box'. Heard it used by the same commentator during a rugby match they covered too!

Northern Hibby
20-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Gle mhath - very good, beag - small, mor - big, Dun Eideann - Edinburgh, Peairt - Perth, ball-coise - football, luath - fast, oisean - corner, bair - goal, ruith - run

Pedantic_Hibee
20-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Gle mhath - very good, beag - small, mor - big, Dun Eideann - Edinburgh, Peairt - Perth, ball-coise - football, luath - fast, oisean - corner, bair - goal, ruith - run

Lads, NH has gone all Malofeev on us.....

NYHibby
20-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Can you watch BBC Alba on the iPhone? It doesn't show up in the iplayer app.

Northern Hibby
20-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Lads, NH has gone all Malofeev on us.....

Please tell me you ain't calling me a yam!

Northern Hibby
20-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Both daughters fluent :-)

Craig_in_Prague
20-01-2012, 09:17 PM
The game is on some Israel channel and setanta africa and as we know covered by alba. So safe to say for those that cant attend ER will be able to watch online.. Or even in pub.

HiBremian
20-01-2012, 09:30 PM
One phrase stuck in my brain over the last couple of years : Hibs, nonny.

Pedantic_Hibee
21-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Please tell me you ain't calling me a yam!

If I was calling you a yam, I would have called you a yam :agree:

R'Albin
21-01-2012, 01:28 PM

J

The worst games I've watched were the 0-0 with the Sheep and St Johnstone :zzzzz!:

We also beat Motherwell 2-1 last season. The game after we won 0-3 at Ibrox :agree:

Bristolhibby
21-01-2012, 06:01 PM
The curse of Alba strikes again. Thank *** my Father-in-law let slip the score.

Don't have to sit through two hours of dirge.

J