PDA

View Full Version : Overlooked Hibbies at International Level

Greentinted
20-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Having a blether earlier about the tragedy of Craig Levein and his 'selection eccentricities' and got round to discussing Hibs players who were often overlooked (until they arrived in Glasgow) for the national team. I didn't know, and was quite astonished that Peter Marinello only achieved a 'Scottish League' cap for example.
In my time I reckon there must be a plethora of players dismissed (or as good as) purely by virtue of playing for Hibs (or any team outwith the OF or English Leagues) who experienced similar treatment. Off the top of my head I came up with:

Jimmy O'Rourke
Pat Stanton
Alex Cropley
Alec Edwards
Johns Brownlie and Blackley (although in fairness, Jardine and McGrain were worthy of the full-backs slots)
Erich Schaedler
Des Bremner
Arthur Duncan
Gordon Hunter (before being plagued with injury)
Keith Wright
Pat McGinlay
Derek Riordan
Scott Brown

Feel free to add...or argue.

PatHead
20-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Lawrie Reilly was scathing in his book about the lack of caps picked up by the Famous Five, (Reilly was the only Scotland regular) particularly Gordon Smith who was kept out of the team by Willie Waddell of Rangers amongst others.

John Collins only got one cap in a friendly against Saudi Arabia whilst at Hibs. (Old Firm players didn't fancy the journey)

Dashing Bob S
20-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Benny Brazil and Joe Tortolano spring to mind. I think the SFA maybe expected Brazil and Italy to step in first though.

Greentinted
20-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Benny Brazil and Joe Tortolano spring to mind. I think the SFA maybe expected Brazil and Italy to step in first though.

:greengrin We'll never know just how far they could have gone...

beensaidbefore
20-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Steven Whittaker is another that obviously became a much better player after his move to Rangers, seeing as he seemed to get picked a lot more. Still not enough though imo.

beensaidbefore
20-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Having a blether earlier about the tragedy of Craig Levein and his 'selection eccentricities' and got round to discussing Hibs players who were often overlooked (until they arrived in Glasgow) for the national team. I didn't know, and was quite astonished that Peter Marinello only achieved a 'Scottish League' cap for example.
In my time I reckon there must be a plethora of players dismissed (or as good as) purely by virtue of playing for Hibs (or any team outwith the OF or English Leagues) who experienced similar treatment. Off the top of my head I came up with:

Jimmy O'Rourke
Pat Stanton
Alex Cropley
Alec Edwards
Johns Brownlie and Blackley (although in fairness, Jardine and McGrain were worthy of the full-backs slots)
Erich Schaedler
Des Bremner
Arthur Duncan
Keith Wright
Pat McGinlay
Derek Riordan
Scott Brown

Have a vague memory of seeing him in an Ireland strip??

beensaidbefore
20-01-2012, 01:39 PM

Just checked, talking rubbish apparently. Must have been a celtic away number that looked like an Ireland top in my mind.

McGinlay represented Scotland B (http://www.hibs.net/wiki/Scotland_B_national_football_team) once, in a 3–0 win against Northern Ireland B (http://www.hibs.net/wiki/Northern_Ireland_B_national_football_team) at Easter Road (http://www.hibs.net/wiki/Easter_Road)

Greentinted
20-01-2012, 01:42 PM

Didn't know that. I assumed he was capped a couple of times (Scotland) during his time with Celtic. Fair enough.

Just seen your new post. I was at that game and should have minded. Keith Wright (and maybe Darren Jackson IIRC) played that night as well.

superfurryhibby
20-01-2012, 01:42 PM
[QUOTE=Greentinted;3080033]Having a blether earlier about the tragedy of Craig Levein and his 'selection eccentricities' and got round to discussing Hibs players who were often overlooked (until they arrived in Glasgow) for the national team. I didn't know, and was quite astonished that Peter Marinello only achieved a 'Scottish League' cap for example.

Pat Stanton-16 caps or so, plus a good few more for the Scottish League. Not entirely overlooked but probably should have won more and maybe would have done so if he had continued to play in his favoured centre back role.
Alex Cropley- Injuries a factor-also up against some mighty tough competition for a place in any SCotland midfield of the early-mid seveties
Alec Edwards-
Johns Brownlie and Blackley (although in fairness, Jardine and McGrain were worthy of the full-backs slots)-Blackley went to a world cup. The standard of the competition for places and the fact that Scotland of that era favoured one "traditional style" centre back and a more skillful sweeper. Still seems a bit of travesty that the likes of Tam Forsyth won more caps than his silky HIbs rival. Brownlie, the broken leg was a defining factor and although John has said that he feels he was the same player on his comeback, many would say that he lost something after that sad incident. Erich Schaedler- A HIbs great but not sure that his international cap tally (1) was unreasonable.

Des Bremner- A great team player and fantastic drive, good enough to win the European cup but only good enough for one SCotland cap? Seems odd but rememebr that he was up against some very talented midfield competition.
Arthur Duncan- Cap tally seems fair enough to me. Had the pace, maybe lacked some finesse?

Gordon Hunter (before being plagued with injury)- Lack of ball playing skills. Had good pace and hard as nails. Keith Wright-Sorry, A good SPL player but lacked the pace and touch to be a regular Scotland player.

Pat McGinlay-my favourite midfielder for much of the 90's. Perhaps unlucky not to get past a B cap.
Derek Riordan-Lack of pace, application and attitude held Deek back, cap tally probably reflects this.
Scott Brown-More caps than his skills would demand.

I would also add that John Collins should have been capped more whilst at Hibs and that Daren Jackson deserved international recognition sooner.

Golden Bear
20-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Alex Edwards was once described as Scotland's best ever uncapped player.

And even to this day that's probably true.

MartinfaePorty
20-01-2012, 01:55 PM
The link isn't working for me, but did Scotland win 3-0 and think Tweed and Jackson also played, with Jackson scoring an absolute raker, similar to a goal he'd scored against Utd? IIRC he formed a good partnership with Billy Dodds that game (feel free to rubbish, as this all off top of head).

The one that immediately sprung to mind for me was Mickey Weir. The season we won the Skol Cup he was absolutely outstanding, but not a sniff of even getting near an international squad.

Keith Wright got 1 cap in a friendly, I think, v Northern Ireland. It wasn't his best game, to be honest, and he was not well liked by supporters of other Scottish clubs because of his 'physical' game. I actually remember him getting votes in a poll in the late 90s for the worst ever player to play for Scotland, which was utterly ridiculous given the numpties that have (dis)graced the blue jersey.

HibbyAndy
20-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Pat Mginlay , A free flowing goal scoring midfielder from his generation, An absolute scandal he never picked up at least 20 odd caps.

beensaidbefore
20-01-2012, 01:59 PM
The link isn't working for me, but did Scotland win 3-0 and think Tweed and Jackson also played, with Jackson scoring an absolute raker, similar to a goal he'd scored against Utd? IIRC he formed a good partnership with Billy Dodds that game (feel free to rubbish, as this all off top of head).

The one that immediately sprung to mind for me was Mickey Weir. The season we won the Skol Cup he was absolutely outstanding, but not a sniff of even getting near an international squad.

Keith Wright got 1 cap in a friendly, I think, v Northern Ireland. It wasn't his best game, to be honest, and he was not well liked by supporters of other Scottish clubs because of his 'physical' game. I actually remember him getting votes in a poll in the late 90s for the worst ever player to play for Scotland, which was utterly ridiculous given the numpties that have (dis)graced the blue jersey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_McGinlay

Greentinted
20-01-2012, 01:59 PM
I would also add that John Collins should have been capped more whilst at Hibs and that Daren Jackson deserved international recognition sooner.

Some fair comments although I feel that Wright and Riordan should have been capped more during the period they were at the top of their form. In saying that, there will always be the 'consistency' of building a club-like squad versus the pick-the-men-on-form at the time. If the latter philosophy was employed I'd include Craig Brewster.
And Jackson, aye most definitely.

beensaidbefore
20-01-2012, 02:08 PM
i seem to remeber Kevin Mcallister being quite good, but admittedly I was only aabout 12 when he was playing for us if iirc. And I cant remember what other player were around and would have kept him out the team.

silverhibee
20-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Some fair comments although I feel that Wright and Riordan should have been capped more during the period they were at the top of their form. In saying that, there will always be the 'consistency' of building a club-like squad versus the pick-the-men-on-form at the time. If the latter philosophy was employed I'd include Craig Brewster.
And Jackson, aye most definitely.

Deek was picked by Walter Smith a number of times to be in the squad but either sat on the bench or in the stand for all the squads he was picked for, eventually he played a freindly against Austria and was never picked again until George Burley got the job, i agree Deek in his first time round with Hibs should have had more caps, he was a striker on form for 3 seasons in a row and only got one cap in a freindly.

basehibby
20-01-2012, 02:43 PM
i seem to remeber Kevin Mcallister being quite good, but admittedly I was only aabout 12 when he was playing for us if iirc. And I cant remember what other player were around and would have kept him out the team.

:agree: Crunchie should have been given a chance at international level - and another mighty atom who was summarilly ignored was Mickey Weir - a major influence behind Hibs winning our solitary trophy of the 90s and near enough unplayable on his day.

Also worthy of mention is Alan Gordon who came close to selection and no doubt would have picked up a shedload of caps had he played for one of the gruesome twosome. He was good enough to be selected for a World select side for the West Germany Captain, Uwe Seeler's testimonial - a team mate for the day with the likes of Beckenbaur, Eusebio, Gerd Muller, Bobby Moore and Carlos Alberto - but sadly somehow not quite good enough to make the grade for Scotland :rolleyes:

Greentinted
20-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Deek was picked by Walter Smith a number of times to be in the squad but either sat on the bench or in the stand for all the squads he was picked for, eventually he played a freindly against Austria and was never picked again until George Burley got the job, i agree Deek in his first time round with Hibs should have had more caps, he was a striker on form for 3 seasons in a row and only got one cap in a freindly.

Aye, we all know that hindsight is a great thing, but some player's careers can turn on things like that. While DR tends to polarise opinion, for me he is one of the few truly gifted footballers I've seen, not only in a Hibs jersey but in our game in my lifetime. I'm no suggesting he's up there with the Larrsons, Laudrups and Gascoignes but he'd be at the top end of the tier below on sheer ability.

Big Frank
20-01-2012, 03:04 PM

:faf:

Stevie Reid
20-01-2012, 03:10 PM

I'm pretty sure that Paul Kane, Mickey Weir and Joe Tortolano were in the Scotland U21 squad for a game against the Republic of Ireland that was being held at ER (maybe 1986, I was really young at the time) - but the Hibs squad got ravaged by flu at the time and I think all three missed out.

I was at the game, we won 4-1 with Robert Fleck scoring from the half way line, IIRC - though I may well not.

Bristolhibby
20-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Kevin Harper

Mikeystewart
20-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Is there no validity in the view that if a player is playing well in Europe that they have good chance of being able to make the step up to the national team?

There are also psychological pressures that I think are tested when playing for the old firm, call it the acid test.

It would be different if Hibs were qualifying for the Europa group stages every year.

Last time we got close to qualifying for the Uefa cup group stages was when we faced Dnipro, and we all know what happened there....

For example, When Hartley was playing well for Hearts in the season they finished 2nd and qualified for the Champions league qualifying, I can distinctly remember him being one of the first names on the team sheet.

He also provided the cross with Gary Caldwell's winning goal against France.

And does anyone seriously believe Riordan had the right attitude to play at an international level? even when he was scoring goals from the bench for Celtic he wasn't getting a sniff.

Comparisons have been made between Boyd and Riordan, yes they had similar work ethics, but who scored the more goals consistently in there time in the SPL? That is why Boyd got his chance, and that's also why he rarely made it off the bench. He also scored 7 goals in 18 games. Riordan had three chances against lesser opposition and failed to register a shot on target from what I remember.

Jones28
20-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Anyone know if Paul Gallacher from Leicester has ever been capped?

Andy74
20-01-2012, 03:45 PM
I think most of those more recent ones deserved to be overlooked!

Viva_Palmeiras
20-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Lawrie Reilly was scathing in his book about the lack of caps picked up by the Famous Five, (Reilly was the only Scotland regular) particularly Gordon Smith who was kept out of the team by Willie Waddell of Rangers amongst others.John Collins only got one cap in a friendly against Saudi Arabia whilst at Hibs. (Old Firm players didn't fancy the journey)And scored from a freekick iirc the boy was/is class

Viva_Palmeiras
20-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Geebsie was captains at under 21s (and possibly levels below)

If Scotland are to progress they should look at why players seem to fall out the picture.

As I've mentioned before Portguals golden generation inwas told by a portguese before they actually became the golden generation played together coming through the ranks like a club side knew each other inside out.

Ray_
20-01-2012, 05:31 PM

Jimmy O'Rourke
Pat Stanton
Alex Cropley
Alec Edwards
Erich Schaedler
Des Bremner
Arthur Duncan
Keith Wright
Pat McGinlay
Derek Riordan
Scott Brown

As for the first few on the list.

Jimmy O'Rourke was often just used as a squad player at Hibs & it wasn't until ET took the reigns that he was given an extended run, but it sadly was all too brief.

Pat Stanton, it was only when "The Doc" took over did Pat get his rightful regular spot in the Scotland side, he was also captain under him.

The Doc was also responsible for Alex Cropley's two caps, unfortunately the serious injury sustained in his second game, led to Dalglish coming on as substitute for him. Injuries even at that stage had already had a significant impact on his career & it continued to do so after his move to Arsenal & later Villa & Scotland were well blessed with midfield/wingers during the seventies.

Alex Edwards, as well as not playing for the right "teams", his temperament would have played a part, although it didn't stop Willie Johnston, who had the added advantage of playing in England's top league.

John Brownlie, to be fair, JB was Scotland's first choice RB, at the expense of Jardine & McGrain, until he broke his leg in that awful match against East Fife. JB was the best full back in Britain when he broke his leg [including Jardine & McGrain] & he never really again reached the same heights he attained prior to the brake.

John Blackley was a superb player, but had serious competition for the role from first Bobby Moncur & later Martin Buchan and not forgetting our own Pat Stanton, however, when the likes of Tom Forsyth & Colin Jackson were played at his expense, it really showed the infirm bias.

Shades, the main reason was the Jardine/McGrain partnership, but there was many more Anglo's, playing left back, in England's top league, I was delighted he was capped.

Des Bremner, as Shades, he had the likes of Billy Bremner, Pat Stanton, Bruce Rioch & Graeme Souness to contend with.

Arthur Duncan, early days Eddie Gray, Bobby Lennox & Willie Johnston as competition, he had a run in the mid seventies & I was at the 75 Wembley match [1-5] he was by far our most dangerous player during the match & he was taken off and replaced by Tommy Hutchinson & that was about it for him.

PS, I would have added Peter Cormack & Colin Stein to that list.

J-C
20-01-2012, 05:36 PM

Jimmy O'Rourke
Pat Stanton
Alex Cropley
Alec Edwards
Erich Schaedler
Des Bremner
Arthur Duncan
Keith Wright
Pat McGinlay
Derek Riordan
Scott Brown

You honestly think Jardine was better than Brownlie.

Add GOC, Murray, Whittaker and Fletcher( who still is )

Ray_
20-01-2012, 05:43 PM

Jimmy O'Rourke
Pat Stanton
Alex Cropley
Alec Edwards
Erich Schaedler
Des Bremner
Arthur Duncan
Keith Wright
Pat McGinlay
Derek Riordan
Scott Brown

Peter Marinello career really took off when he started the 69/70 season on fire & it remained that way until that December, when his formed dipped, he was in danger of getting dropped for the new year derby, but was sold with a lot of hype to Arsenal instead. He started with a bang & a debut goal at Old Trafford, in a 1-2 loss, but never lived up to the hype, he failed to oust the veteran George Armstrong from the team & eventually moved on to Portsmouth & then on to Motherwell & then a very poor Hearts side.

Famous Fiver
20-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Neil Martin
Willie Hamilton
John McNamee

Hibrandenburg
20-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Alex Edwards was once described as Scotland's best ever uncapped player.

And even to this day that's probably true.

Beat me to it. Probably one of very few players who could have slotted into todays game without a hitch.

scoopyboy
20-01-2012, 05:49 PM
You honestly think Jardine was better than Brownlie.

Add GOC, Murray, Whittaker and Fletcher( who still is )

I have no doubt John Brownlie would have been better than any Scottish full back of his generation if he hadn't broken his leg.

However he didn't play that many games before his break.

I don't know figures but like Alan Gordon I think most of us would be surprised at how few he played.

JohnScott
20-01-2012, 06:54 PM

Jimmy O'Rourke
Pat Stanton
Alex Cropley
Alec Edwards
Erich Schaedler
Des Bremner
Arthur Duncan
Keith Wright
Pat McGinlay
Derek Riordan
Scott Brown

With respect this is a repeat of post from last year. In that one I suggested two perfect examples, Kenny Miller and Gordon Durie.

hhibs
20-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Neil Martin
Willie Hamilton
John McNamee

Eric Stevenson

And of course due to the regulations at that time The Baker Boy,the late great Joe Baker

Ray_
20-01-2012, 07:17 PM
With respect this is a repeat of post from last year. In that one I suggested two perfect examples, Kenny Miller and Gordon Durie.

John I wouldn't have thought those were a perfect examples compared to some of the others mentioned on here, Miller was first capped for Scotland almost three years after leaving Hibs & Juke Box played less than fifty league games for the club, he made a fair few more appearances for East Fife than he did with Hibs.

Sergeant Hibs
20-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Brian Kerr
Michael Hart
Colin Nish

Prof. Shaggy
20-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Andy Goram?:wink:

Greentinted
20-01-2012, 07:27 PM

Accept my apologies sir. Must have missed that. (Dinnae hit me wi a royalty fee but :greengrin)

lapsedhibee
20-01-2012, 08:13 PM
I have no doubt John Brownlie would have been better than any Scottish full back of his generation if he hadn't broken his leg.

However he didn't play that many games before his break.

I don't know figures but like Alan Gordon I think most of us would be surprised at how few he played.

Brownlie and Jardine shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath imo. I don't know how many times exactly he played before his leg break, but I saw him plenty and he was utter class. Jardine was just a competent OF player.

iain nolan
20-01-2012, 08:28 PM
some great outside players named but i feel we had some great goalkeepers who should have got more caps when playing fot the hibees

Jimmy O'Rourke
Pat Stanton
Alex Cropley
Alec Edwards
Erich Schaedler
Des Bremner
Arthur Duncan
Keith Wright
Pat McGinlay
Derek Riordan
Scott Brown

J-C
20-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Brownlie and Jardine shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath imo. I don't know how many times exactly he played before his leg break, but I saw him plenty and he was utter class. Jardine was just a competent OF player.
Before his leg break Brownlie was voted the best RB in Europe, enough said

NYHibby
20-01-2012, 08:41 PM
I would say Gerry Baker but the post-1950 to post-NASL national teams were a mess.

eebsie
20-01-2012, 08:46 PM

He was an excellent player but no caps. He now works as a pipe fitter. He was in the gatehouse of my work this week.

Ricky Bobby
20-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Obviously we got him in the twilight of his career but I think George Mcclusky should make the list, I don't think he was capped for Scotland. He had a severe lack of pace but a great footballer.

Ray_
20-01-2012, 09:54 PM

Although JB was without doubt the best pre-leg brake, Jardine in his prime was pure class & with McGrain, they became the best two full backs in the UK. The Doc used Jardine to mark Eusebio, in the euro game, which was his first match in charge and Jardine's Scotland début & he done the job, to such effect, the Portuguese legend was substituted at half time.

Jardine was used in the same role in the next match & done the same effective marking job on Belgium's talisman, Paul Van Himst, Scotland secured what was termed as unlikely victories in both games.

Wellbankhibby
20-01-2012, 10:03 PM

Jimmy O'Rourke
Pat Stanton
Alex Cropley
Alec Edwards
Erich Schaedler
Des Bremner
Arthur Duncan
Keith Wright
Pat McGinlay
Derek Riordan
Scott Brown

IMO Oinion was a far better player than both Jardine or McGrain. When did you see any of these players overlap as an attacking full back. Brownlie was also a great tackler and still played after TWO leg breaks. What we would do now to have a player of John Brownlie's ability.

Ray_
20-01-2012, 10:13 PM
IMO Oinion was a far better player than both Jardine or McGrain. When did you see any of these players overlap as an attacking full back. Brownlie was also a great tackler and still played after TWO leg breaks. What we would do now to have a player of John Browlie's ability.

They all could tackle & all were great on the overlap, Onion was the best I've ever seen play in the right back position, however, IMHO, he never got back to where he was after breaking his leg in two places.

Sir David Gray
20-01-2012, 10:14 PM

Jimmy O'Rourke
Pat Stanton
Alex Cropley
Alec Edwards
Erich Schaedler
Des Bremner
Arthur Duncan
Keith Wright
Pat McGinlay
Derek Riordan
Scott Brown

Scott Brown made his Scotland debut whilst he was still at Hibs.

Ray_
20-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Scott Brown made his Scotland debut whilst he was still at Hibs.

So did most of the players on the list, however, the gist is that they would have a greater chance of achieving caps [sooner, more or at all] had they played for the infirm.

Craigyno1
21-01-2012, 12:44 AM
Grant Brebner at his best was very good and was always amazed he never made any squads.

beensaidbefore
21-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Grant Brebner at his best was very good and was always amazed he never made any squads.

Probably had a lot to do with the guys personality. You can only stomach self obsessed people for so long before they begin to get on your thrupny-bits, and Brebner fancied himself something rotten. On the brief occasions I had the mis/fortune of meeting him I thought he was a complete plonker. If any Scotland managers spent time with him they probably felt the same.