PDA

View Full Version : Transfer update - McPake/Soares Confirmed

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Jamesie
22-01-2012, 10:20 PM
how many loan players are we allowed?

No problem with us taking them if they help us just thought there was some limits on the number of loan players you can field

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?226279-How-many-loans-is-that&p=3084083&viewfull=1#post3084083

Seems we can only sign one more loanee this season.

Dashing Bob S
22-01-2012, 10:23 PM
I like the idea of Tonge (ya bass) and I've developed a few Soares through sitting on backside at ER the last 18 months as there hasn't been much to get excited about.

killie-hibby
22-01-2012, 10:24 PM
According to the Stoke City website Soares is a winger and Tonge a midfielder.

sundo1875
22-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Maybe we're cancelling towels loan ?

HibbyAndy
22-01-2012, 10:27 PM
According to the Stoke City website Soares is a winger and Tonge a midfielder.

Aken Tonge is a winger cause ive seen enough of him to ken the boy's a player!....

Hope to god this isn't a poor poor dotnet windup!!!

Manxhibs
22-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Tongue is a quality player, him and Michael Brown were the reason Sheffield utd won promotion back in 2005 or 2006

Manxhibs
22-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Maybe we're cancelling towels loan ?

I was thinking that, he's not really featured despite our obvious defensive problems

Gordy M
22-01-2012, 10:31 PM
http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?226279-How-many-loans-is-that&p=3084083&viewfull=1#post3084083

Seems we can only sign one more loanee this season.

is that not for loans from teams in your own league eg domestic loans? im not sure if loans from england count as domestic?

CallumLaidlaw
22-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Aken Tonge is a winger cause ive seen enough of him to ken the boy's a player!....

Hope to god this isn't a poor poor dotnet windup!!!

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Stoke-send-Michael-Tonge-and-Tom-Soares-to-Hibernian-article856524.html

HibbyAndy
22-01-2012, 10:35 PM
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Stoke-send-Michael-Tonge-and-Tom-Soares-to-Hibernian-article856524.html

:aok:

dmc1875
22-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Soares & Tonge would be real QUALITY signings. The sort of signings we should be looking to make, regardless of if its a loan deal or not.

McPake would definitely shore up our defence as well.

Finally we are looking at LEADERS (Tonge) and they all have experience!

Something exciting for a change!

I heard from someone close to the club that Towell will be leaving this week

Albion Hibs
22-01-2012, 10:41 PM
If we are only allowed one more loan I would think Towell would have to go as I think we will end up bringing in another defender (CH/LB) on loan as fenlon seems to be keen on addressing the defense before anything else.

Hibbyradge
22-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Don't know what he's like now but he had a great season 6 or 7 years ago for Sheffield United. Scored a barrel load from midfield.

He scored 21 in 262 appearances.

That's quite a small barrel really. :wink:

frazeHFC
22-01-2012, 11:00 PM
I remember when Tonge was at Sheffield United and was a star player, to think he could be playing for us soon is a very exciting prospect. :agree:

Westie1875
22-01-2012, 11:01 PM
is that not for loans from teams in your own league eg domestic loans? im not sure if loans from england count as domestic?

I think you are right, from SPL rules;

D5.12 Rules D5.4 and D5.5 shall not have the effect of imposing any limit on the number of Players a Club shall be permitted to have Registered to that Club at any time or over any period of time on the basis of a temporary transfer where such temporary transfer has required in order to take place the issue of an International Transfer Certificate in accordance with the FIFA Regulations for the Status and Transfer of Players and all such Players for whom such certificate was so required shall not count towards
the limits specified in Rules D5.4 and D5.5 on the numbers of Players who may be so Registered to a Club at any time or over any period of time.

Presumably loans from England do require an international transfer certificate?

SteveHFC
22-01-2012, 11:09 PM
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/297353/Dons-want-Stephen-Hughes

We won't be getting Hughes then

SteveHFC
23-01-2012, 12:17 AM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4078177/Stoke-transfers-Michael-Tonge-and-Tom-Soares-to-join-Hibernian.html

Joe
23-01-2012, 12:53 AM
This is brilliant, the board are actually backing the manager and we have, it would seem, gone out and signed the players to get the job done for a change!

Stack

Fancombe, McPake, Hanlon, Booth

Soars, Tonge, Osbourne, Wotherspoon

Griffith, O'Connor

I'll take that!

brydekirk
23-01-2012, 01:12 AM
A good left back next please.

DanHFC1875
23-01-2012, 01:17 AM
This is brilliant, the board are actually backing the manager and we have, it would seem, gone out and signed the players to get the job done for a change!

Stack

Griffith, O'Connor

I'll take that!

the real s really fat, but do you think he fancies a kick about in lol?

Brebners Bookie
23-01-2012, 01:28 AM
Stack

Francombe McPake Stephens Hanlon

Soares Tonge Ozzy Booth

Doyle Griffiths

brydekirk
23-01-2012, 02:19 AM
Stack

Francombe McPake Stephens Hanlon

Soares Tonge Ozzy Booth

Doyle Griffiths

That looks a better team, mon the cabbage.

huggie1875
23-01-2012, 03:44 AM
BROWN
MCPAKE STEPHENS HANLON
FRANCOMBE SOARES TONGE OZZY BOOTH
DOYLE GRIFFITHS

Got my tin hat ready:thumbsup:

Hermit Crab
23-01-2012, 05:44 AM

Stack

Griffith, O'Connor

I'll take that!

Unfortunately not this Saturday as GOC is banned :boo hoo:

Dinkydoo
23-01-2012, 06:02 AM
This is fantastic.

If these guys are all fit and ready to play, and if Fenlon sets out the right team with the right tactics, then we might just be able to dig ourselves out this massive hole we and CC put us in.

spike220
23-01-2012, 06:29 AM
If this is all true, then losing at the weekend was a very small price to pay indeed. I think we looked very good going forward. I think PF has a special project on his hands with Griffiths. He is certianly a good footballer, but needs to control himself better. I dont know who is giving him stick, I half think it might be a couple Jambos coming along just to wind him up. The best thing he can do is ignore them all, they will hate that much more than any gesture back.

Hibs till I die

GGTTH

Gmack7
23-01-2012, 06:36 AM
they will run out of scarfs at this rate

Kaiser1962
23-01-2012, 06:43 AM
If this is all true, then losing at the weekend was a very small price to pay indeed. I think we looked very good going forward. I think PF has a special project on his hands with Griffiths. He is certianly a good footballer, but needs to control himself better. I dont know who is giving him stick, I half think it might be a couple Jambos coming along just to wind him up. The best thing he can do is ignore them all, they will hate that much more than any gesture back.

Hibs till I die

GGTTH

I suspect he's been working on these, and more, since well before Saturday and that work is now bearing fruit. Hopefully.

Mark79
23-01-2012, 06:49 AM
Damn, I'd heard it was Jake the Peg with his extra leg, he could have been just what we needed in defence. :wink:

Sodje is leaving.

Cropley10
23-01-2012, 07:05 AM
This is the sort of quality rumour that shows what the Board might be doing to back Nutsy.

That's the great thing about rumours - anyone can start them these days, then sit back and watch people get excited.

I very much doubt ANY of this is true. Looks like classic interweb rubbish. Obviously hope I'm wrong.

spike220
23-01-2012, 07:08 AM
This is the sort of quality rumour that shows what the Board might be doing to back Nutsy.

That's the great thing about rumours - anyone can start them these days, then sit back and watch people get excited.

I very much doubt ANY of this is true. Looks like classic interweb rubbish. Obviously hope I'm wrong.

Well it has been in th e SUn and Mirror so it must be true! :greengrin

Hibs till I Die!

GGTTH

Springbank
23-01-2012, 07:08 AM

Nice coverage of the bases there Mr C10

Remind, me, which party are you standing for in the upcoming election :greengrin

Cropley10
23-01-2012, 07:09 AM
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/297353/Dons-want-Stephen-Hughes

We won't be getting Hughes then

No point signing Hughes when we can get in a lather about possibly signing some EPL players on loan:greengrin

Springbank
23-01-2012, 07:13 AM
quite amused by the Oatcake fanzine quote:

Tonge Soares - if Bonjela did loan deals...

AlbertK86
23-01-2012, 07:17 AM

ROD started the rumour to take away some of the flack he's getting!!

spike220
23-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Well if these are true it looks like the Hibs calendar is outdated before the end of January (I am not complaining though). I rather be in the SPL in september than have my calendar up-to-date.

Perhaps we could knock up a spoof calendar of one month wonders that left the club after only a short spell. that could be quite fun!

hm..........

Cropley10
23-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Nice coverage of the bases there Mr C10

Remind, me, which party are you standing for in the upcoming election :greengrin

I don't think the two views are mutually exclusive: I hope these rumours come true, but I wouldn't bet a penny on them happening.

Hope this clarifies :greengrin

Keith_M
23-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Unfortunately not this Saturday as GOC is banned :boo hoo:

:partyhibb

Iain G
23-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Well if these are true it looks like the Hibs calendar is outdated before the end of January (I am not complaining though). I rather be in the SPL in september than have my calendar up-to-date.

Perhaps we could knock up a spoof calendar of one month wonders that left the club after only a short spell. that could be quite fun!

hm..........

This is where I very much advocate the Classic Player Calendar idea :greengrin

On the signing note, if we pull of either of these two signings, even on loan, and McPake then it will be a big step forward for the club and show PF can persuade good players to come and that the board are giving him the backing he needs :agree:

J-C
23-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Good to see some possitive movement for a change, hopefully they can hit the ground running, like the laddie Croft did for Sy J on saturday, if Poullis is having a clear out, will this mean we may have first shout on these guys if they do the business.

Andy74
23-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Good to see some possitive movement for a change, hopefully they can hit the ground running, like the laddie Croft did for Sy J on saturday, if Poullis is having a clear out, will this mean we may have first shout on these guys if they do the business.

It's not really a change though is it?

Every window we moan our way through it and every window we end up with a load of ins and outs.

What would be a change is if the manager has chosen the right players this time.

Steve20
23-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Have any of these players actually signed? People seem to be talking like all three are defo in.

jaf
23-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Hearing some early news this morning regarding a certain Mr Goodwin having signed on the dotted line. No addditional info as yet but I'd assume that was a signing rather than a loan.

Beefster
23-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Hearing some early news this morning regarding a certain Mr Goodwin having signed on the dotted line. No addditional info as yet but I'd assume that was a signing rather than a loan.

Lennon said that the weekend that Goodwin would be speaking to us this week.

Andy74
23-01-2012, 08:20 AM
Lennon said that the weekend that Goodwin would be speaking to us this week.

Goodwin was doing the BBC sportsound programme for the St Mirren Celtic game and later in the programme after the Hibs game someone mentioned he was due to be at Hibs this week. I assume they would have gleamed that from him during the day so wouldn't be surprised.

spike220
23-01-2012, 08:22 AM

Quality attracts quality, that is great news, should be easier to attract other decent players. At least three more please.

GGTTH

Craig_in_Prague
23-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Have any of these players actually signed? People seem to be talking like all three are defo in.

Feel the same, however I expect a few faces will all be at EM today, some possibly playing in the bounce game......But i'd expect tonight or tomorrow, that we hear of new signings.

It sounds as if we could have up to 4-5 new players, which we NEED.

Steve20
23-01-2012, 08:24 AM
It sounds as if we could have up to 4-5 new players, which we NEED.

Hope so. :agree:

Mikey
23-01-2012, 08:28 AM

That works both ways.

jaf
23-01-2012, 08:28 AM
The bits and pieces I've heard suggest that 3 of them are at East Mains this morning, but others might hear something more concrete.

My sauce is usually very good, none of the cheap sauce.

micka_weer
23-01-2012, 08:30 AM
**** it! I'm living the dream! I'm updating my FIFA hibs squad now!!!!!! ;)

mim
23-01-2012, 08:31 AM
There is a thread on the Stoke City forum which is called 'the Oatcake' - not sure why its called that??. Thats where i got the link from. No quotes on the article though, so might be rubbish.

Aaaaaah, oatcakes. :top marks

A type of savoury pancake used like we use morning rolls.
In Stoke you wrap your bacon (and usually cheese) in an oatcake and eat it with your fingers. - superb. :greengrin

Hope these loan deals come off. These guys are used to playing at a higher level than the SPL and should stand out.

Craig_in_Prague
23-01-2012, 08:32 AM
So I keep up to date, is this the current potential new signings?

- Goodwin
- McPake
- Tonge
- Soares
- Murphy

How many loans are we actually allowed? Seen as 4 on there, would be in addition to Griffiths, Francomb and possilby Towell (assume he's going back west).

Aldo
23-01-2012, 08:39 AM
So I keep up to date, is this the current potential new signings?

- Goodwin
- McPake
- Tonge
- Soares
- Murphy

How many loans are we actually allowed? Seen as 4 on there, would be in addition to Griffiths, Francomb and possilby Towell (assume he's going back west).

Would be happy with that lot TBH. Won't get too excited till they are paraded.

Just shows you what a bit of patience does if the names being branded about ate true. Everything is crossed.

AlbertK86
23-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Would be happy with that lot TBH. Won't get too excited till they are paraded.

Just shows you what a bit of patience does if the names being branded about ate true. Everything is crossed.

No huddin ma breath I'm afraid...saying that would love them all to come in and go straight in the team.

The board really need to act in this window or we are gonners.

Both the Uglies in the next three games could see us well adrift

Speedway
23-01-2012, 09:02 AM

Every window we moan our way through it and every window we end up with a load of ins and outs.

What would be a change is if the manager has chosen the right players this time.

Andy, you've been talking sense for some time now, it's upsetting me.

stokesmessiah
23-01-2012, 09:21 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/european/hibs_2_3_st_johnstone_easter_road_side_look_to_jam es_mcpake_loan_to_solve_defensive_woes_1_2072252

Speedway
23-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Might need to cross Soares off the list as pish.

The Sea-gull
23-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Great if we are in for Premiership standard players but not sure why there is so much excitement about it as it does not sound like it has been confirmed officially yet that they are done deals.

I'll admit, I know very little about either player but as they have played in the Premier and Championship I assume they are (or at least were) more than good enough for the SPL. Concern would really be if they have lost form or fitness in recent times.

reversep
23-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Might need to cross Soares off the list as pish.

No we CERTAINLY won,t be crossing Soares of the list:wink:.

JimBHibees
23-01-2012, 09:43 AM
A thread on the Coventry fans site. Injured seems to be a regular description :rolleyes:

Can remember him from Livingston and think he is exactly what we need at present in terms of presence and experience however just hope he is now fit and he can play regularly until the seasons end.

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/14368-McPake-to-Hibs

jdships
23-01-2012, 09:53 AM

Sadly you are correct
Trust PF has got it/gets it right this time :greengrin:flag:

stokesmessiah
23-01-2012, 10:00 AM
A thread on the Coventry fans site. Injured seems to be a regular description :rolleyes:

Can remember him from Livingston and think he is exactly what we need at present in terms of presence and experience however just hope he is now fit and he can play regularly until the seasons end.

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/14368-McPake-to-Hibs

He broke his back in two places and was out for quite a while so i think that may be what they are referring to.

I had to laugh at this "I can only assume he's moving for geographical reasons as they're stuck at the bottom of that terrible league with little else going for them"

I am guessnig he cant see the irony in his comments!?

easty
23-01-2012, 10:16 AM
He broke his back in two places and was out for quite a while so i think that may be what they are referring to.

I had to laugh at this "I can only assume he's moving for geographical reasons as they're stuck at the bottom of that terrible league with little else going for them"

I am guessnig he cant see the irony in his comments!?

That terrible league?

We'd be bottom by a long way with the squad we have.

SouthMoroccoStu
23-01-2012, 10:21 AM
The bits and pieces I've heard suggest that 3 of them are at East Mains this morning, but others might hear something more concrete.

My sauce is usually very good, none of the cheap sauce.

Good news if true.

The info on the Stoke boys seems pretty solid.

Sky reporting on McPake.

Still would like to see Goodwin, another center half and a left back.

Then we'll be in very good shape for the fight ahead. :flag:

stokesmessiah
23-01-2012, 10:24 AM
That terrible league?

I was referring more to the bottom of the league and little going for them part of it. From a fan of a team that is bottom of their league with dwindling crowds and a perilous financial position. I know we have a massive problem with the team we put out on the park but if/when thats sorted i think we have a lot going for us.

Hibbyradge
23-01-2012, 10:27 AM
That terrible league?

They were referring to the SPL.

Hibernian blade
23-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Tonge was a fantastic player for The Blades one of the best players on a ball I have seen.
He hits a ball better then Deek ever did and is not afraid to get stuck in. He is a player who needs a hug and not a telling off as his head soon drops he is very much a condidence footballer.
We sold him for 1.75 million to Stoke a few years ago and since then he seems to have faded out of touch a little. I think he will relish the change and challenge and will become a massive player for us.
Here's my favourite goal he scored as a Blade right in front of a silenced Sheffield Wednesday crowd a goal that almost put us into the premier league at the time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOmRlZC0JOQ&fb_source=message

easty
23-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Tonge was a fantastic player for The Blades one of the best players on a ball I have seen.
He hits a ball better then Deek ever did and is not afraid to get stuck in. He is a player who needs a hug and not a telling off as his head soon drops he is very much a condidence footballer.
We sold him for 1.75 million to Stoke a few years ago and since then he seems to have faded out of touch a little. I think he will relish the change and challenge and will become a massive player for us.
Here's my favourite goal he scored as a Blade right in front of a silenced Sheffield Wednesday crowd a goal that almost put us into the premier league at the time

Sacrilege!

JimBHibees
23-01-2012, 10:35 AM

Certainly remember him from a few games on the tv round the time you mention and as you say he has loads of talent and flair and would IMO be a very exciting signing even in the short term. You have got to wonder about what has happened to him at Stoke however I am not altogether sure they were the right team for him to move to football wise. Hopefully if true PF can get the best out of him.

brog
23-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Like all on this thread I hope this is true but we need a bit of a reality check.
1. Tom Soares - I saw a lot of him at Palace, he got a lot of media attention, bit like the boy Zaha now, & moved to Stoke, for about £1.5mm. At same time Stoke signed Ben Watson from Palace with little fuss. I always thought Watson the better player & so far it's turned out that way. Soares has struggled, been on loan a couple of time, to S Wed I think & I don't think he's played for over a year! also had a reputation, possibly totally unfounded, as a bit of a billy bigshot.
2. Michael Tonge - as someone said, was superb for Sheff U but that was quite a few years ago now. I saw him on loan at PNE a year or so back & he didn't do much at all. However he's def a player.

As I said, I'm pleased but we need to have some reasonable expectations, particularly re Soares. We need players who'll really fight & graft for the team & while I'm sure that applies to McPake I'm less sure re TS.
PS, can't believe people are picking Stephens in their best team, after last Sat I don't think we'll see him for a while.

Speedway
23-01-2012, 10:50 AM
No we CERTAINLY won,t be crossing Soares of the list:wink:.

Are you sure, he's reportedly out with a knee injury for a few weeks.

Frazerbob
23-01-2012, 10:54 AM

He'll love playing in front us then. Forgiving bunch that we are!

--------
23-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Great if we are in for Premiership standard players but not sure why there is so much excitement about it as it does not sound like it has been confirmed officially yet that they are done deals.

I'll admit, I know very little about either player but as they have played in the Premier and Championship I assume they are (or at least were) more than good enough for the SPL. Concern would really be if they have lost form or fitness in recent times.

Question - how fit are these guys?

Question - just how good are they?

Question - are they actually coming, or is this just another Pollyanna quick fix dreamed up in the disordered brain of a demented happy-clapper?

Question - supposing they're good enough, and fit, and coming, loan deals will only see us through till May. Then we start over - yet again - filling out spaces in an inadequate squad and trying to bed in half a team of players who may or may not genuinely want to play for Hibs. (As opposed to drawing a wage to pay the mortgage until a better offer comes along.)

What loan deals and 18-month contracts tell me is that the people running Ibs have contrived to get us into the position where players simply don't want to come to ER even for the medium term. Short-term is all we're getting.

These loan deals - IF they take place - are no better than a couple of aspirin for a cancer. They MY buy us time - IF they take place - but this is in no way the cure for what ails us. What ails us is up in the boardroom and beyond.

stokesmessiah
23-01-2012, 11:05 AM

Question - are they actually coming, or is this just another Pollyanna quick fix dreamed up in the disordered brain of a demented happy-clapper?

Question - supposing they're good enough, and fit, and coming, loan deals will only see us through till May. Then we start over - yet again - filling out spaces in an inadequate squad and trying to bed in half a team of players who may or may not genuinely want to play for Hibs. (As opposed to drawing a wage to pay the mortgage until a better offer comes along.

What loan deals and 18-month contracts tell me is that the people running Ibs have contrived to get us into the position where players simply don't want to come to ER even for the medium term. Short-term is all we're getting.

These loan deals - IF they take place - are no better than a couple of aspirin for a cancer. They MY buy us time - IF they take place - but this is in no way the cure for what ails us. What ails us is up in the boardroom and beyond.

Doddie, i think it might be a case of just getting in what we need to get us through to the end of the season when one of two things will happen 1) We will know what division we are going to be in 2) We can then clear out our squad accordingly. I think after PF has arrived and i would guess had a pretty damning report from BB and seen the garbage on display he will just want to keep us up this year and start from scratch in the summer when a lot of our guys are out of contract.

I know it distressing for us seeing a squad in constant transitional state but this is what that clown was supposed to have done last summer. The truth of the matter is if we want to stay up we need a higher standard of player and those players wont want to sign for us with an uncertain future. I think its a good way of getting a better level in and keeping us up and also means come the summer we are not tied into expensive deals.

AlbertK86
23-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Just had text from evening news

By DAVID HARDIE
Published on Monday 23 January 2012 12:00
Hibs were today poised to snap up Stoke City midfielders Michael Tonge and Tom Soares after the relegation-threatened Easter Road club again fell to just one point from bottom place in the SPL table.
Boss Pat Fenlon has insisted he’s been working “morning, noon and night” in his efforts to revamp the failing squad he inherited from predecessor Colin Calderwood. But while Junior Agogo, Matt Thornhill, Victor Palsson and David Crawford have all left – with Akpo Sodje likely to join them in heading for the exit door – so far Fenlon has only managed to add Irish striker Eoin Doyle and on-loan Norwich City kid George Francomb.
Now Fenlon faces a race against time to bolster his squad with only eight days of the January transfer window remaining and fans becoming increasingly anxious about SPL survival following Saturday’s defeat by St Johnstone, a result which leaves them with only one home league win in almost a year.
Fenlon missed the after-match press conference, said to have had to dash away on the final whistle, but, according to reports circulating down south today he’s lined up loan moves for Tonge and Soares who have fallen out of favour at the Britannia Stadium. At 28 and with almost 300 appearances for Sheffield United, Tonge certainly has the experience Fenlon is seeking to help guide his youngsters – Saturday’s starting line-up containing five under-21 internationalists along with Francomb.
A £2 million signing by Stoke, Tonge has struggled to earn himself a regular starting place, spending two spells on loan at Preston and another with Derby County and was left out of the Stoke squads named for the first half of both the English Premier League and Europa League this season.
Soares has similarly found life difficult since his £1.25m move from Crystal Palace and, like Tonge, has only found action while on loan, in his case at Charlton Athletic and Sheffield Wednesday.
Fenlon, however, has refused to comment on possible arrivals, insisting it would be wrong to do so until agreements are reached, the Irishman having been linked with moves for Coventry City defender James McPake, St Mirren midfielder Jim Goodwin as well as Shamrock Rovers striker Gary Twigg.
He will, though, cast an eye over Arsenal kid Rhys Murphy in a closed doors match against Partick Thistle today, the Republic of Ireland striker having spent the last week on trial with Hibs.

Andy74
23-01-2012, 11:09 AM

Question - supposing they're good enough, and fit, and coming, loan deals will only see us through till May. Then we start over - yet again - filling out spaces in an inadequate squad and trying to bed in half a team of players who may or may not genuinely want to play for Hibs. (As opposed to drawing a wage to pay the mortgage until a better offer comes along.

Look, the current manager left us in a right state on the park, abetted by previous managers.

Yes, the Board are responsible for that.

Right now though we are in the deep stuff and we need PF to do whatever it takes to get us out of it. If the longer term targets can wait until the sumer then fine by me.

I couldn't really care less just now about what it tells us about who wants to come or not, or how long for, let's get out of this, dust ourselves down and then allow the guy that we currently have to get on with building his own squad.

Jones28
23-01-2012, 11:11 AM

Can. Worms. Opened.

CallumLaidlaw
23-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Former #Hibs and #Liverpool midfielder Victor Palsson allegedly in talks with Red Bull New York, according to sources in the Big Apple.

Dashing Bob S
23-01-2012, 11:33 AM

Question - supposing they're good enough, and fit, and coming, loan deals will only see us through till May. Then we start over - yet again - filling out spaces in an inadequate squad and trying to bed in half a team of players who may or may not genuinely want to play for Hibs. (As opposed to drawing a wage to pay the mortgage until a better offer comes along.)

You're a cheerful chappie this morning!

Dashing Bob S
23-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Former #Hibs and #Liverpool midfielder Victor Palsson allegedly in talks with Red Bull New York, according to sources in the Big Apple.

The Victor Palsson clothing range of shirts and calf-skinned bomber jackets I dreamed of could soon be a reality.

--------
23-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Look, the current manager left us in a right state on the park, abetted by previous managers.

Yes, the Board are responsible for that.

Right now though we are in the deep stuff and we need PF to do whatever it takes to get us out of it. If the longer term targets can wait until the sumer then fine by me.

I couldn't really care less just now about what it tells us about who wants to come or not, or how long for, let's get out of this, dust ourselves down and then allow the guy that we currently have to get on with building his own squad.

Fine, Andy - we need to guarantee SPL status as top priority. No arguments from me on THAT score, mate.

Maybe these guys will do that - I certainly hope so, because I have absolutely no confidence whatsoever in STF and RP to lead us back out of Div One in one season. No - I'll rephrase that. I'm sure that GIVEN THE PROPER BACKING from them Pat Fenlon can get us back up, but until he finds himself able to sign players up for more than one season at a time, we'll be a perennially-endangered species as far as the SPL's concerned.

Paddy's more than capable of plugging the leaks for a while, Andy, but the guys on the bridge seem hell-bent on running us into one iceberg after another, and sooner or later we're going to go down unless they waken up and smell the coffee.

Hibs7
23-01-2012, 11:39 AM
I don't care if they are loan deals as long as they keep Hibs in the SPL, then PF can have the whole summer to SIGN new players and see what he can make of them when the pressure is off.

SRHibs
23-01-2012, 11:53 AM

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

One would imagine if they were seen as Premiership quality at one point, that they're a damn sight better than what we have currently.

[quote]Question - are they actually coming, or is this just another Pollyanna quick fix dreamed up in the disordered brain of a demented happy-clapper?

Seems like a bit of an obscure rumour to randomly pop up in the English papers, so I'd say there's some truth to it.

All of the previous incumbents have been given money over the summer to build a squad for the coming season. I'm not sure we can blame the board for CC's insistence on signing players on short term deals + loans. The fact is, surviving relegation should be the only thing on our, and the manager's, minds right now. I don't care how we do it. The summer is when Fenlon can start to plan properly for the future.

The Hibs board have contrived to get us into this position? That's absolutely laughable that is. In what way would Hibs being crap actually benefit Rod Petrie and co.?

[quote]These loan deals - IF they take place - are no better than a couple of aspirin for a cancer. They MY buy us time - IF they take place - but this is in no way the cure for what ails us. What ails us is up in the boardroom and beyond.

What ails then?

GreenPJ
23-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Fine, Andy - we need to guarantee SPL status as top priority. No arguments from me on THAT score, mate.

Maybe these guys will do that - I certainly hope so, because I have absolutely no confidence whatsoever in STF and RP to lead us back out of Div One in one season. No - I'll rephrase that. I'm sure that GIVEN THE PROPER BACKING from them Pat Fenlon can get us back up, but until he finds himself able to sign players up for more than one season at a time, we'll be a perennially-endangered species as far as the SPL's concerned.

Paddy's more than capable of plugging the leaks for a while, Andy, but the guys on the bridge seem hell-bent on running us into one iceberg after another, and sooner or later we're going to go down unless they waken up and smell the coffee.

We sign boys like Scott and Galbraith on extended contracts and people moan. Am sure Fenlon knows what he needs and has been said by many football managers this window is difficult to buy in. Loan's provide an ideal opportunity to see if it works out and if not then bye bye, hopefully Towell will be the prime example of that as he must be heading back to parkhead shortly and so we don't have to pay him off.

BEEJ
23-01-2012, 11:56 AM
:agree:

Aye, day 23 in the January window and still no CB signed. We might have got a valuable SPL point on Saturday had there been a decent one on the park in home colours. Definitely same old, same old when it comes to transfer dealings.

Maybe this afternoon, though.

There were points at stake on Saturday. Let's hope we don't need one of them at the end of the season to avoid the drop.

3pm
23-01-2012, 11:57 AM
He scored 21 in 262 appearances.

That's quite a small barrel really. :wink:

Wasnae him then!!! :faf:

Albion Hibs
23-01-2012, 11:57 AM
A good left back next please. I heard that we are trying to sign a left back from down south. If so that would help the defense no end, and allow booth to perhaps move further up the pitch.

Andy74
23-01-2012, 12:02 PM
:agree:

Aye, day 23 in the January window and still no CB signed. We might have got a valuable SPL point on Saturday had there been a decent one on the park in home colours. Definitely same old, same old when it comes to transfer dealings.

Maybe this afternoon, though.

There were points at stake on Saturday. Let's hope we don't need one of them at the end of the season to avoid the drop.

So any old centre back would have done, just so we maybe could have had a point or three on Saturday?

For me it's more important that they are either right for us for the rest of the season, which there is almost half of left, or beyond.

If only it were as easy as just saying you need a centre half and one arrives when you want one.

I don't disagree with our need for better defenders, I've been saying it since last year and CC somehow managed to do nothing about it.

I do disagree with harping on about how we deal with transfers with little or no knowledge about the constant work that goes on behind the scenes.

Craig_in_Prague
23-01-2012, 12:03 PM
I heard that we are trying to sign a left back from down south. If so that would help the defense no end, and allow booth to perhaps move further up the pitch.

and allow Sproule to go back where he belongs, on the subs bench.

down the slope
23-01-2012, 12:04 PM
So any old centre back would have done, just so we maybe could have had a point or three on Saturday?

For me it's more important that they are either right for us for the rest of the season, which there is almost half of left, or beyond.

If only it were as easy as just saying you need a centre half and one arrives when you want one.

I don't disagree with our need for better defenders, I've been saying it since last year and CC somehow managed to do nothing about it.

I do disagree with harping on about how we deal with transfers with little or no knowledge about the constant work that goes on behind the scenes.

What work ?.

Hibbyradge
23-01-2012, 12:05 PM
What work ?.

LOL. :thumbsup:

BEEJ
23-01-2012, 12:18 PM

YES, PF is working very hard behind the scenes to get deals done, as are others. NO, not any old crock with a number 5 on his back would have done. But thanks for the facile response. :greengrin

At the end of the day money talks, Andy. That's what brings the decent players in. If as a Manager you are working to a limited budget, and probably with salary structures to take account of, then you will simply have to work three or four times harder than your peers who have more financial leeway than you do.

But there are some player acquisition needs that are just so critical to the functioning of the team that our normal strictures of financial prudence and good budgeting just have to be set to one side. An experienced CB is one of those.

I thought we just might break the mould this window to help out our Manager on that score with speedier recruitment for that position at least. Not to be. As you said yourself: "It's not really a change though, is it?"

reversep
23-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Are you sure, he's reportedly out with a knee injury for a few weeks.

I expect Soares to sign but a current midfielder will be leaving.

H18sry
23-01-2012, 12:23 PM

Jimmy Scott :wink:

JimBHibees
23-01-2012, 12:24 PM

Scott?

stokesmessiah
23-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Scott?

I know some ppl on here quite like him and think he is a good squad player but in all honesty if he cant get into that midfield then he is mince. I think if it is the case of Soares coming in and one being released (Scott) then i think it could also leave the door open for Goodwin to join us now.

.........................Stack............

Fran....O'Hanlon...McPake.....Hanlon/New signing

.......................Goodwin.................... ..........
..............Tonge..............Ozzy............. .......
Soares............................................ Leigh/Booth
........................GOC/Doyle..................................

calumb
23-01-2012, 12:32 PM

Yes just about any centre back would do. The three young players in the Hibs defense are now tarnished goods, they have cost us game after game and they themselves will know this.

what we witnessed on saturday were just kids terrified into making mistakes along with Hart who is clearly finished.
The standard of the spl is no great shakes so they could easily be replaced by players that are not carrying the burden of whats went on the last 2 years around with them and they would do just fine.

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Yes just about any centre back would do. The three young players in the Hibs defense are now tarnished goods, they have cost us game after game and they themselves will know this.

what we witnessed on saturday were just kids terrified into making mistakes along with Hart who is clearly finished.
The standard of the spl is no great shakes so they could easily be replaced by players that are not carrying the burden of whats went on the last 2 years around with them and they would do just fine.

You do know you just typed, just about any centre back would do? :confused:

--------
23-01-2012, 12:44 PM
You're a cheerful chappie this morning!

Well, I'm not going to get all hysterical about some short-term loan deals as the answer to all our problems, Bob.

IF these guys (or guys like them) are coming to help us try to get out of the mess we're in, Fine and good - provided they're fit, good enough, and willing to exert themselves for the cause rather than just take the money and do the bare minimum as so many have done in the past ...

I don't want to see us going down, Bob, and I DO want to see players in who can prevent that, but IMHO our problems go far beyond the dressing-room, the training-ground, and the manager's office.

stokesmessiah
23-01-2012, 12:46 PM

I hope he does...WOW.

calumb
23-01-2012, 12:48 PM

any defenders that have not been involved with hibs over the last 2 years would have to be an improvement on what we have.
You can watch football from any league and you will not see the same basic mistakes being made time after time.
so yes any centre back would do as long as they are not our ones.

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2012, 12:49 PM
any defenders that have not been involved with hibs over the last 2 years would have to be an improvement on what we have.
You can watch football from any league and you will not see the same basic mistakes being made time after time.

You had your chance, good luck. :faf:

Andy74
23-01-2012, 12:52 PM

I hope Fenlon takes a slightly more quality based approach.

Anyway, how is Birmingham? :greengrin

JimBHibees
23-01-2012, 12:53 PM
I know some ppl on here quite like him and think he is a good squad player but in all honesty if he cant get into that midfield then he is mince. I think if it is the case of Soares coming in and one being released (Scott) then i think it could also leave the door open for Goodwin to join us now.

.........................Stack............

Fran....O'Hanlon...McPake.....Hanlon/New signing

.......................Goodwin.................... ..........
..............Tonge..............Ozzy............. .......
Soares............................................ Leigh/Booth
........................GOC/Doyle..................................

Just to be clear I think he should go as you say he isnt even on the bench at the moment.

Is Tonge not a wide player? usually cutting in from the left on his right foot.

matty_f
23-01-2012, 01:29 PM
YES, PF is working very hard behind the scenes to get deals done, as are others. NO, not any old crock with a number 5 on his back would have done. But thanks for the facile response. :greengrin

At the end of the day money talks, Andy. That's what brings the decent players in. If as a Manager you are working to a limited budget, and probably with salary structures to take account of, then you will simply have to work three or four times harder than your peers who have more financial leeway than you do.

But there are some player acquisition needs that are just so critical to the functioning of the team that our normal strictures of financial prudence and good budgeting just have to be set to one side. An experienced CB is one of those.

I thought we just might break the mould this window to help out our Manager on that score with speedier recruitment for that position at least. Not to be. As you said yourself: "It's not really a change though, is it?"

It looks like it's not always down to money though. The McPake deal (assuming it progresses) being a case in point. We've pursued this one for a while, and it came up that Coventry wanted a replacement before they let him go. They got their replacement and we look like we've been looking to complete throughout. It genuinely doesn't seem that the delay here has been financial, rather the manager and board sitting on a deal to get the man the manager wanted.

T

brydekirk
23-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Any news back from the Partick game ?

Gmack7
23-01-2012, 01:39 PM
surely its better to blame any deal that doesnt happen on our penny pinching mentaliity tho,

Stevie Reid
23-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Only Soares mentioned on Sky: -

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11792/7450528/Hibs-hold-Soares-talks

PeterboroHibee
23-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Hmm hopefully we are in for Tonge even though it hasnt been reported by Sky, the initial rumour must have come from somewhere.

SteveHFC
23-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Tonge to Barnsley?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11701/7450606/?

R'Albin
23-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Tonge to Barnsley?

If that's true then doubt we will be signing him then.. hopefully we can get Soares and Goodwin :agree:

SMAXXA
23-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Tonge to Barnsley?

That'ill be that then, knew it was to good to be true bet we end up with neither of them and no Goodwin either, well thats me being synical I suppose, who knows!

johncrobertson@
23-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Thought it was too good to be true - another potential signing disappointment!

Andy74
23-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Tonge to Barnsley?

Baws. Better of the two.

hailhail22
23-01-2012, 03:04 PM
One of my pals said his dad just texted him saying hibs have just got 2 midfielders on loan from stoke, Dont shoot the messanger cause I cant find this anywhere myself.

SRHibs
23-01-2012, 03:06 PM
One of my pals said his dad just texted him saying hibs have just got 2 midfielders on loan from stoke, Dont shoot the messanger cause I cant find this anywhere myself.
?

The midfielders you're referring to are in the title of this thread. :wink:

davcar
23-01-2012, 03:06 PM
McPake confirmed! :aok::flag:

Scooter
23-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Mcpake signed on loan according to hibs twitter

EskbankHibby
Tonge to Barnsley?

He looks like Gareth Bale's big brother.

Judas Iscariot

:doh:

calmacuk
23-01-2012, 03:08 PM
McPake confirmed:

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120123/defender-agrees-to-join-on-loan_2262950_2586256

:thumbsup:

SteveHFC
23-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Mcpake signed on loan according to hibs twitter

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120123/defender-agrees-to-join-on-loan_2262950_2586256

Confirmed :aok:

EuanH78
23-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Liking McPake's comments in the article :aok:

Hibbyradge
23-01-2012, 03:11 PM

He got it from here, but it's not true.

Stevie Reid
23-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Tonge to Barnsley?

Really disappointing.

hailhail22
23-01-2012, 03:12 PM
?

The midfielders you're referring to are in the title of this thread. :wink:

Was meaning i couldnt see anywhere that we actually had them on loan :greengrin

SteveHFC
23-01-2012, 03:12 PM

JimBHibees
23-01-2012, 03:13 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120123/defender-agrees-to-join-on-loan_2262950_2586256 :thumbsup:

hailhail22
He got it from here, but it's not true.

That explains that :agree:

Hibbyradge
Liking McPake's comments in the article :aok:

I've yet to see a newly signed player say anything except positive remarks.

greenlex
Just in. Stoke are telling SKY SPORTS that Hibs are close to signing Tom Soares.

Judas Iscariot
23-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Talks a good game anyway, hopefully he'll fix some of that abysmal defence :aok:

Welcome James :pfgwa

LancsHibs
Just on sky stoke close to closing a deal for Soreas? To go to Hibs til end of season:thumbsup:

SMAXXA

See previous page of thread, this link is sooooooooo last year :greengrin:wink:

LancsHibs
23-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Just in. Stoke are telling SKY SPORTS that Hibs are close to signing Tom Soares.

Beat me:greengrin

SteveHFC
23-01-2012, 03:16 PM
See previous page of thread, this link is sooooooooo last year :greengrin:wink:

CBA going back to the previous page of the thread :wink:

LancsHibs
23-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Great news:thumbsup: sounds like Pat worked long & hard on this one and finally got his man! A good player I am told by a Cov ST holder.

Sir David Gray
23-01-2012, 03:18 PM
...if I'm selected then I will hopefully add a wee bit of steel and commitment to our defence.

I don't think there's any "ifs" about that, James. :wink:

JimBHibees
23-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Great news:thumbsup: sounds like Pat worked long & hard on this one and finally got his man! A good player I am told by a Cov ST holder.

No doubt in my mind he will do a job if he stays fit and injury free.

Stevie Reid
23-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Baws. Better of the two.

Will be hugely disappointing if he ends up there, though small consolation can be taken from that being the calibre of player that we are looking to bring in.

Persevere80
23-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Im more than happy to get Mcpake on loan to help us out and look foward to hearing of a few others to follow.

Hibiza
23-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Calderwood, what a mess he's left. Walked away right to the bank. Should be ashamed of himself.

R'Albin
23-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Woooo! :flag::thumbsup:

jaf
23-01-2012, 03:24 PM
This backs up what I was told this morning, that Soares and McPake were at the training centre this morning, but no mention of Tonge.

Hopefully the other info comes true which was the presence of Goodwin as well.

HibsMax
23-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Are loan deals really evil? What if the guys on loan play well for us and then sign something permanent? Are we sure that the players are here on a loan basis only i.e., with no chance of another deal being penned when the load runs out?

wandering_hibee
23-01-2012, 03:29 PM
While not discrediting the guy at all and totally welcome him on board, his words in the press release have so obviously been written by a PR person that it is embarrassing

R'Albin
23-01-2012, 03:30 PM
While not discrediting the guy at all and totally welcome him on board, his words in the press release have so obviously been written by a PR person that it is embarrassing

Fit?

stokesmessiah
23-01-2012, 03:30 PM

YAS quickly lets see what other negatives we can find about Hibs signing a CH that we have all been screaming for !!!! Too much to just say well done Hibs.

Andy74
23-01-2012, 03:36 PM

Oh dear.

ancienthibby
23-01-2012, 03:37 PM

That's always the case!:greengrin

johnrebus
23-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Just spoken to a mate who is a Coventry City season ticket holder.

Says that McPake is good and will do the job. Did not want to see him go.

I asked the obvious question, 'if he is any good, then why is he being allowed to leave with the club bottom of the Championship'?

The answer was that Coventry are skint - big time - and need to cut costs. Would be surprised if we are paying his full whack but you never know........,

:greengrin

marinello59
23-01-2012, 03:39 PM

Brilliant first post. :top marks

(Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit bit I can't stop myself.)

R'Albin
23-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Just spoken to a mate who is a Coventry City season ticket holder.

Says that McPake is good and will do the job. Did not want to see him go.

I asked the obvious question, 'if he is any good, then why is he being allowed to leave with the club bottom of the Championship'?

The answer was that Coventry are skint - big time - and need to cut costs. Would be surprised if we are paying his full whack but you never know........,

:greengrin

Yes but none of that matters? His first press release was written by a PR man so he's clearly not Hibs class :bitchy: :wink:

Pretty Boy
23-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Good. Good that we got what appears to be a top target and good that he's a player I've heard off and remember as being decent.

Just 2 or 3 more please.

Hibbyradge
23-01-2012, 03:44 PM

Don't be embarrassed, James. We do that for all our new signings, not just you. :wink:

I must admit, I was abit surprised at the statement.

A wee bitty cocky and insulting to the other players, but hey ho, it's what the punters want to hear.

Welcome to Hibs.

PS Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Get used to it.

ruthven_raiders
23-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Are loan deals really evil? What if the guys on loan play well for us and then sign something permanent? Are we sure that the players are here on a loan basis only i.e., with no chance of another deal being penned when the load runs out?

That's the position we find ourselves in unfortunately, all that matters that any players that we get in do the job and keep us up, worry about rebuilding end of season

johnrebus
23-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Yes but none of that matters? His first press release was written by a PR man so he's clearly not Hibs class :bitchy: :wink:

Aye, but we haven't signed anyone who is 'Hibs class', since Sauzee or Latapy.......,

:lips seal

Andy74
23-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Well done Hibs on seeing through a top target and not just signing any old player for the sake of the previous game.

Well, after all the questions this is due isn't it? :greengrin

Mind you, yet again, in six months if he turns out to be rubbish Petrie will be getting it tight for not backing the manager enough. :rolleyes:

JimBHibees
23-01-2012, 03:46 PM

Superb. :faf::faf:

HibsMax
23-01-2012, 03:48 PM
That's the position we find ourselves in unfortunately, all that matters that any players that we get in do the job and keep us up, worry about rebuilding end of season

Yeah, but my point is are loan deals even that bad?

allmodcons
23-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Stating the obvious I know, but all I can say is thank ****** we've signed a central defender.
Only question for PF now is who to play alongside him??

JimBHibees
23-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Yeah, but my point is are loan deals even that bad?

If the players good No, if the players bad, Yes.:greengrin

Barney McGrew
23-01-2012, 03:51 PM

While not discrediting the poster at all and totally welcoming him to the message board, his words in the first ever post have so obviously been written by a person that is embarassing.

:wink:

Hamish
23-01-2012, 03:52 PM
I've yet to see a newly signed player say anything except positive remarks.

Exactly.

''I was dragged out of my house this morning, bundled into a car and driven 250 miles. When the blindfold was taken off I was in darkest East Lothian it appears. I then checked my phone and found a text from Andy Thorn saying Hibs are looking for a commanding no-nonsense centre half, but they couldn't find one, so I've sent you up there on loan''

McPake added he would not be taking any crap from the Hibernian fans and wasn't averse to shouting back at them or flicking the V's.

The Bellshill born player hopes to sit in the stand for the next 5 months, train with no enthusiasm whatsoever and then return to the Ricoh Arena to play proper football.

CropleyWasGod
23-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Exactly.

''I was dragged out of my house this morning, bundled into a car and driven 250 miles. When the blindfold was taken off I was in darkest East Lothian it appears. I then checked my phone and found a text from Tony Pulis saying Hibs are looking for a commanding no-nonsense centre half, but they couldn't find one, so I've sent you up there on loan''

McPake added he would not be taking any crap from the Hibernian fans and wasn't averse to shouting back at them or flicking the V's.

The Bellshill born player hopes to sit in the stand for the next 5 months, train with no enthusiasm whatsoever and then return to the Ricoh Arena to play proper football.

While not discrediting the poster at all , his words in the post have so obviously been written by a person that has confused Stoke and Coventry that it is embarrassing.

Hibbyradge
23-01-2012, 03:54 PM
While not discrediting the poster at all , his words in the post have so obviously been written by a person that has confused Stoke and Coventry that it is embarassing.

stokesmessiah
23-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Stating the obvious I know, but all I can say is thank ****** we've signed a central defender.

Thats a good question, we might just see someone else coming in or one of the 3 "1st team" guys we have. I am hoping it is the former as Hanlon & Stephens were shown up as being out of their depth on Saturday and O'Hanlon was shown up as being out of his depth against Cowdenbeath.

CMac1988
23-01-2012, 03:56 PM

Stephens hopefully... Drop Hanlon back into LB and move Booth into LM. Unless we get another player or two that fill these positions.

:pfgwa

Hamish
23-01-2012, 03:57 PM
While not discrediting the poster at all , his words in the post have so obviously been written by a person that has confused Stoke and Coventry that it is embarrassing.

B***er.:greengrin

Now amended

FromTheCapital
23-01-2012, 03:59 PM
Welcome to the Hibees, GGTTH! :thumbsup:

Leithenhibby
23-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Thats a good question, we might just see someone else coming in or one of the 3 "1st team" guys we have. I am hoping it is the former as Hanlon & Stephens were shown up as being out of their depth on Saturday and O'Hanlon was shown up as being out of his depth against Cowdenbeath.

:greengrin :greengrin

I liked that one, and I don't want to see him in a Hibernian shirt again ......

allmodcons
23-01-2012, 04:05 PM

I agree with you here, don't think any of the 3 current '1st team' players have shown up well in central defence and, ideally, would like A N Other in alongside McPake. Can't see it happening though and might just have to hope McPake's a good talker/leader.

The_Todd
23-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Fantastic, I'm pleased to see this. We're still far too weak at the back though so I really hope this isn't the end of it. And just to be cheeky we should just flash £75k at Hearts and pick up Stevenson. £100k? They got no chance.

LancashireHibby
23-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Hope it's not dead in the water about Tonge, a top quality player on his day although I'm sure he'll be the first to agree that his career didn't quite pan out as planned. That and I went to the same high school as him and nutmegged him in a dinnertime game so it's a nice claim to fame :wink:

brog
23-01-2012, 04:17 PM

I'll bet his website's crap as well!! FFS Petrie!

greenlex
23-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Hope it's not dead in the water about Tonge, a top quality player on his day although I'm sure he'll be the first to agree that his career didn't quite pan out as planned. That and I went to the same high school as him and nutmegged him in a dinnertime game so it's a nice claim to fame :wink:

I once nutmegged John Blackley at training once. He said it would be my first and last. To be fair he was right. :greengrin

truehibernian
23-01-2012, 04:39 PM
I once nutmegged John Blackley at training once. He said it would be my first and last. To be fair he was right. :greengrin

I played 'keepy uppy' with Eric Black in his front garden and won..........only lost control when his missus appeared........she was 'ayuh' :wink:

SquashedFrogg
23-01-2012, 04:41 PM
I'll bet his website's crap as well!! FFS Petrie!

He hasn't even mentioned the training centre yet :confused:

le bill
23-01-2012, 04:41 PM

I scored a goal against Gordon Marshall at school football training at Craigmount Once.
It was the first of many!!! :greengrin

Gerard
23-01-2012, 04:45 PM
He hasn't even mentioned the training centre yet :confused:
some posters say we should sell the centre and perhaps that is going to happen:devil: the money can pay for better players and the players can go back to playing on public parks with poo on them:devil:
G

Barney McGrew
23-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Soares has signed on loan until the end of the season

Darth Hibbie
23-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Soares also confirmed according to twitter

frazeHFC
23-01-2012, 04:47 PM

greenlex
23-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Good stuff now get the laddie Murphy signed up and we are good to go I think although I do believe another on top of that is not out of the question

BEEJ
23-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Well done Hibs on seeing through a top target and not just signing any old player for the sake of the previous game.

Well, after all the questions this is due isn't it? :greengrin
Where's that 'seriously missing the point' smiley when you most need it? Only 15 SPL matches left in the campaign and we are becoming isolated at the foot of the table with one other club. But the chance lost on Saturday to gain at least a point at home appears to matter little to some folk?

Unlike recent January transfer windows, we do not have the luxury of mid-table complacency this year.

Anyway, glad we have a CB at last and looking forward to seeing what Mr McPake can add to the side.

Andy74

Which probably means no Tonge. Pity, we probably would have been pleased with our days work if the Tonge rumour hadn't been around!

Mikey
Soares - http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120123/soares-joins-club-on-loan_2262950_2586476

Andy74
23-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Where's that 'seriously missing the point' smiley when you most need it? Only 15 SPL matches left in the campaign and we are becoming isolated at the foot of the table with one other club. But the chance lost on Saturday to gain at least a point at home appears to matter little to some folk?

Unlike recent January transfer windows, we do not have the luxury of mid-table complacency this year.

Anyway, glad we have a CB at last and looking forward to seeing what Mr McPake can add to the side.

Haven't missed any point. One or two posters were saying that it was more important to have anyone in for last week than it was to get the right person for the rest of the season.

N.Wales Hibby
23-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Brilliant but who wrote his comments......own up:wink:

brog
23-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Soares - http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120123/soares-joins-club-on-loan_2262950_2586476

Good news but I suspect statement may have come from the press office!! :wink:
On a serious note, that's 5 on loan & Towell's not mentioned in press release, could he be on way out?

R'Albin
23-01-2012, 04:57 PM

bingo70
23-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Is soares a winger or centre midfielder? And more importantly does anyone know how to pronounce his name correctly?

brog
23-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Played mostly on right for Palace but prefers to tuck in a bit. Pronounced soars.

Hibbyradge
And more importantly does anyone know how to pronounce his name correctly?

Tom. Rhymes with bomb. :agree:

Twiglet
Good news but I suspect statement may have come from the press office!! :wink:
On a serious note, that's 5 on loan & Towell's not mentioned in press release, could he be on way out?

Noticed that too...accidental or deliberate omission?

Barney McGrew
Is soares a winger or centre midfielder? And more importantly does anyone know how to pronounce his name correctly?

Wiki suggests he started as a central midfielder but has also been used as a winger.

wazoo1875
23-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Nice one I'm pleased with this and McPake. Both experienced pros, however I would've been doing cartwheels if Michael Tonge had signed on also. Does anyone know if this is dead in the water :dunno:

NorthNorfolkHFC
23-01-2012, 05:05 PM
This is all good news.

McPake will go in at CB. Soares into midfield with Ozzy. Already a much better side. Hanlon can move to LB and push Booth into LM.

Would like to see Goodwin come in and 'maybe' be installed as our captain, would be delighted if Tonge came as well but i suspect he won't.

We have a lot of loans but i suspect PF is making sure we don't go down and will have another more permanent re-shuffle in the summer when we are safe and can attract players with more than a 'relegation battle'!!!

My team.

Brown

Hart Stephens McPake Hanlon

Francomb Osbourne Soares Booth

Griffiths Doyle

Andy74
23-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Noticed that too...accidental or deliberate omission?

Probably more to do with the fact he's been here nearly a year whilst the others were all brought in this month or had their deal extended this month.

I still think we might send him back if that one is allowed in the terms.

Ultrabee1-0
23-01-2012, 05:14 PM
This is all good news.

McPake will go in at CB. Soares into midfield with Ozzy. Already a much better side. Hanlon can move to LB and push Booth into LM.

Would like to see Goodwin come in and 'maybe' be installed as our captain, would be delighted if Tonge came as well but i suspect he won't.

We have a lot of loans but i suspect PF is making sure we don't go down and will have another more permanent re-shuffle in the summer when we are safe and can attract players with more than a 'relegation battle'!!!

My team.

Brown

Griffiths Doyle

could not agree more!

The Tubs
23-01-2012, 05:15 PM

Just like the fella who plays for Liverpool and who isn't a racist.

NorthNorfolkHFC
23-01-2012, 05:16 PM
could not agree more!

Was expecting a bit of a hammering for A. keeping Hart in and B. omitting the faultless GOC.

Steve20
23-01-2012, 05:20 PM
This is all good news.

My team.

Brown

Griffiths Doyle

Looks ok but Stephens needs replaced.

Wotherspiniesta
23-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Great news.

We're needing to strengthen many areas and Winger/Centre Back were the first two needing addressed IMHO.

Really like what McPake has got to say about us tightening up at the back. Hopefully he can back it up. Soares IIRC is quite a tall lad with quite a lengthy stride on him, hopefully he can add a bit more to our attacking options.

Don't care if they're both just on loan, we need new faces to get us out this mess, and who knows, if they impress and we stay up, they might just fancy hanging around next season.

:flag:

carnoustiehibee
23-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Looks ok but Stephens needs replaced.

Stephens and Hanlon will get us relegated alone. Need another 2 defenders I think. If mcpake gets injured then were back to square one.

Steven_Hibs
23-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Stephens and Hanlon will get us relegated alone. Need another 2 defenders I think. If mcpake gets injured then were back to square one.

Agreed, the two worst centrehalves in Britain :rolleyes:

Captain Trips
23-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Sorry but far from going to be excited about these loans I see it gives us options hopefully they are better options but I struggle to see how.

Good luck

Dan Sarf
23-01-2012, 05:37 PM
"Soares became the third loan signing from English football to arrive at Easter Road since Pat Fenlon took over as manager when his capture was confirmed a couple of hours after that of McPake.
Striker Leigh Griffiths was brought to Hibs by previous manager Jimmy Calderwood, while defender George Francomb has arrived this month from Norwich City."

Pathetic.

iain nolan
23-01-2012, 05:50 PM
have you forgot we have2 French players and Arsenal player on trial they could come into team and that would change your team:flag:
could not agree more!

frazeHFC
23-01-2012, 05:51 PM
:hilarious They are a joke. :rolleyes:

greenlex
23-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Sorry but far from going to be excited about these loans I see it gives us options hopefully they are better options but I struggle to see how.

Good luck
You really are a miserable sod. You should change your username to Morrissey or something more fitting. :greengrin

Leithenhibby
23-01-2012, 05:58 PM
You really are a miserable sod. You should change your username to Morrissey or something more fitting. :greengrin

:greengrin Very true :greengrin :wink:

Captain Trips
23-01-2012, 06:06 PM

Cmon Lex hardly that exciting are they really? cmon.

machibby
23-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Nice one I'm pleased with this and McPake. Both experienced pros, however I would've been doing cartwheels if Michael Tonge had signed on also. Does anyone know if this is dead in the water :dunno:

Sky Sports saying he's about to sign for Barnsley
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11713/7450606/Tykes-target-Tonge-deal

edit
also on Barnsley website so I guess we can forget about that one.
http://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10309~2586431,00.html

frazeHFC
23-01-2012, 06:09 PM

Good luck

A tall tough defender and an attacking midfielder known for having a bit of creativity and was not too long ago signed for decent money.

I see it as a very good reason to get excited. :agree:

LancsHibs
23-01-2012, 06:14 PM
well the Stoke fans on 'the oatcake' are non too complementary about Soares or Tonge:dummytit: We shall just have to see and judge for ourselves! Soares looks on paper to be a good signing, just what we need, should replace Ivan on Saturday?

Aldo
23-01-2012, 06:15 PM
A tall tough defender and an attacking midfielder known for having a bit of creativity and was not too long ago signed for decent money.

Think I am going to be very greedy and hope for Tonge ( not much hope) and Goodwin along with the young lad Murphy.

Andy74
23-01-2012, 06:15 PM
well the Stoke fans on 'the oatcake' are non too complementary about Soares or Tonge:dummytit: We shall just have to see and judge for ourselves! Soares looks on paper to be a good signing, just what we need, should replace Ivan on Saturday?

No, but we are a few levels down from EPL!

Scouse Hibee
23-01-2012, 06:18 PM
On paper they look good signings however I will postpone getting excited until they have proved how good they are..............................here's hoping starting with Ibrox.

machibby
23-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Think I am going to be very greedy and hope for Tonge ( not much hope) and Goodwin along with the young lad Murphy.

edit

:boo hoo:

Captain Trips
23-01-2012, 06:19 PM

I dont both barely played, opinions though eh? will hope they are good but I fear.

Captain Trips
23-01-2012, 06:20 PM
On paper they look good signings however I will postpone getting excited until they have proved how good they are..............................here's hoping starting with Ibrox.

Really? its the on paper that scares me.

greenlex
23-01-2012, 06:21 PM
To be fair I'm not excited Carlsberg but again to be fair I'm not as concerned as others at our current position. We wont go down but do appreciate its an ever increasing possibility.
I see improvement in performances game on game(msitakes apart) and think we will be ok.
I also think the current board strategy on spending is the correct one.
Loan players dont bother me either. Nothing exciting really.

Scouse Hibee
23-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Really? its the on paper that scares me.

You scare easily eh, suggest you go and lie down in a dark room and we'll give you a shout after they've played!:greengrin

Hermit Crab
23-01-2012, 06:25 PM

Absolutely mate. Get Sproule out the team as hes contributing virtually nothing just now. :agree:

Thecat23
23-01-2012, 06:25 PM
It's us that should be sponsored by Wonga with the amount of loan deals we have!!

Bristolhibby
23-01-2012, 06:29 PM
No, but we are a few levels down from EPL!

Was going to be exactly what I was going to say. Mental to think otherwise.

Welcome guys, and let's tighten up and get the wins back on the board.

J

Hermit Crab
23-01-2012, 06:35 PM

edit

I guess we can scratch him off the list then. Whos the next loan victim :greengrin

SouthamptonHibs
23-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Discussing the possibility of Tongue and Soares signing for us on loan at lunchtime wi a mate,we were both looking forward to Tongue joining us as we didn'tno much about Soares!
Went on Wilkopedia to check the guy Soares out, good things is he looks strong, 6ft and played in Championship and 1st Div, bad points are he's not played much football over the past 2/3 seasons but hopefully he'll be good for us.
The Wilkopedia page finishes with saying he's been in teams that have been relegated 3 teams in his short career!
Is that a bad oman for the Hibees?

Hail Hail

Glad we've signed a centrehalf McPake, hopefully one more to come in as O';Hanlon,Hanlon and Stephens are brutal just now

Hermit Crab
23-01-2012, 06:39 PM
]Discussing the possibility of Tongue and Soares signing for us on loan at lunchtime wi a mate,we were both looking forward to Tongue joining us as we didn'tno much about Soares! [/B]
Went on Wilkopedia to check the guy Soares out, good things is he looks strong, 6ft and played in Championship and 1st Div, bad points are he's not played much football over the past 2/3 seasons but hopefully he'll be good for us.
The Wilkopedia page finishes with saying he's been in teams that have been relegated 3 teams in his short career!
Is that a bad oman for the Hibees?

Hail Hail

Glad we've signed a centrehalf McPake, hopefully one more to come in as O';Hanlon,Hanlon and Stephens are brutal just now

Doesnt matter now mate it looks like hes going to Barnsley on loan now. PETRIE!!!:grr: :wink:

ulises_trotter
23-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Seen Soares driving at Jocks Lodge a couple hours ago so was waiting on confirmation coming thru!

Hibbyradge
23-01-2012, 06:49 PM

If a player on the fringes of an EPL team doesn't please you, who could we afford, that would?

Spike Mandela
23-01-2012, 06:54 PM
If a player on the fringes of an EPL team doesn't please you, who could we afford, that would?

Must be a big fringe, his last league game for Stoke was in 2008.:wink:

Hermit Crab
23-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Any word on Goodwin yet? :dunno:

edwards
23-01-2012, 06:55 PM
This is all good news.

My team.

Brown

Griffiths Doyle

Hart jesus what are you on and Stephens had a mare on saturday.

Must be

Brown

Francombe O'Hanlon McPake Booth

Sproule Soares Osbourne Doyle

O,connor Griffiths

Griffiths needs to screw the nut though
Stephens needs work done on him.
Hanlon needs work as well
Goodwin would be a bonus
Rlease Hart
Send Towell back
Keep Stevenson at present
Keep Scott
Keep Wotherspoon

SteveHFC
23-01-2012, 07:27 PM

Excellent news!

Kevin@green
23-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Excellent news!

is this happening

TONY PULIS is sending Michael Tonge and Tom Soares to Hibernian on loan in a Stoke clearout.
Potters midfielders Tonge, 28, and Soares, 25, will join Hibs for the remainder of the season, giving boss Pulis room to add some new faces to his squad.

R'Albin
23-01-2012, 07:42 PM
is this happening

TONY PULIS is sending Michael Tonge and Tom Soares to Hibernian on loan in a Stoke clearout.
Potters midfielders Tonge, 28, and Soares, 25, will join Hibs for the remainder of the season, giving boss Pulis room to add some new faces to his squad.

Naa think he's off to Barnsley mate :(

Kevin@green
23-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Naa think he's off to Barnsley mate :(

shame thought he would do a good job for us :brickwall

The_Todd
23-01-2012, 07:46 PM
is this happening

Where's this from? If you even think of saying Football Rumours, I swear to God I'll, I'll, I'll, um, be rather cross.

Kevin@green
23-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Where's this from? If you even think of saying Football Rumours, I swear to God I'll, I'll, I'll, um, be rather cross.

sent to me by a mate who is a stoke fan, he rates both of them , hopefully one or both will do a good job :thumbsup:

AlbertK86
23-01-2012, 07:51 PM

Daily mirror online

Captain Trips
23-01-2012, 07:51 PM

I do not care what fringes he is on, on paper and I know the game isnt played on paper I do not see players that have done anything of note recently. I do not know what budget is but for me it had to be blockbuter signings on loan not folk on the fringes of the fringes in Soares case anyway.

If you think McPake and Soares are Roy of the Rovers stuff great, I hope they are.

Kato
23-01-2012, 07:57 PM

Not that bothered about exciting at the mo', competent will do me.

Gmack7
23-01-2012, 08:01 PM
does anyone know how long they have left on their contracts at cov/ stoke?

NorthNorfolkHFC
23-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Hart jesus what are you on and Stephens had a mare on saturday.

Must be

Brown

Francombe O'Hanlon McPake Booth

Sproule Soares Osbourne Doyle

O,connor Griffiths

Griffiths needs to screw the nut though
Stephens needs work done on him.
Hanlon needs work as well
Goodwin would be a bonus
Rlease Hart
Send Towell back
Keep Stevenson at present
Keep Scott
Keep Wotherspoon

Are you a goldfish?Have you forgot about O'Hanlon's recent run of form???

Stephens has saved us far too many times in our recent run and is young so may make a few mistakes. O'Hanlon on the other hand is a total bomb scare, he is older so has no excuse. Stephens is good and given the right partner will prosper.

Hart, last two games what has he done wrong? Played ok on Saturday and if i'm correct set up a goal in the game before.

Your choosing Sproule and O'Connor. They have done superb in our last 6-8 games. O'Connor has goals but his touch just isn't what we need just now. Sproule????WHAT ARE YOU ON? Sproule could be let go and nobody would notice!!!

JimBHibees
23-01-2012, 08:12 PM
does anyone know how long they have left on their contracts at cov/ stoke?

Think McPake is end of season summer of 2013.

Hank Schrader
23-01-2012, 08:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZeAGWCVgws&sns=em

Soares involved in second goal in clip above.

Looks good!

SMAXXA
23-01-2012, 08:18 PM
I do not care what fringes he is on, on paper and I know the game isnt played on paper I do not see players that have done anything of note recently. I do not know what budget is but for me it had to be blockbuter signings on loan not folk on the fringes of the fringes in Soares case anyway.

If you think McPake and Soares are Roy of the Rovers stuff great, I hope they are.

Do you think blockbuster signings are queing up to sign for Hibs like, cmon you need to get real here, I bet it took all the convincing in the world to even get these guys to come to us. Who would be your idea of a blocbuster signing then? A realistic one at that