PDA

View Full Version : Have Hibs finally learned the lessons of the revolving door?

RIP
18-01-2012, 08:30 AM
From the Scotsman

"The Dubliner signed a two-and-a-half-year contract when he took over from Colin Calderwood and he may require all that time before getting his team into a proper shape.

Five seasons under five different managers have produced a ragbag of a squad, with some bosses having done little more than dismantle a few of their predecessor’s errors and burden the club with a few mistakes of their own before jumping back into the revolving door."

Columnists, former managers and players have all pointed the finger at us for our lack of strategy with managerial recruitment & retention and squad-building. Are we going to look back on this January window in a years time and say - these new guys clearly strengthened our squad? Will we have a platform to start climbing back up the table?

greenlex
18-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Only if he carries some luck and it works. If not then the change will probably continue. I hope it doesn't even if we go down.
It may still change if he is successful though. A bigger club will take him away and we will start again.

jonty
18-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Perhaps the thread should be re-titled 'Have Hibs and Hibs Supporters learned the lessons of the revolving door' :devil:

Not since Miller have the board stuck with a manager. And even then arguably not.

It appears, on the surface, that when the support start calling for the managers head, the board act. For the first time in a very long time, during the summer, I think they thought they could afford to give the manager time.

Lets hope that the current manager is given time (at least 18 months). This season is again a write off and we're building for next season. (unless we have a cup final or, dare I say it out loud, a cup win)

Progress on and off the park will be judged at the end of the season - and drive us on to a higher placing next season.

Andy74
18-01-2012, 08:59 AM
From the Scotsman

"The Dubliner signed a two-and-a-half-year contract when he took over from Colin Calderwood and he may require all that time before getting his team into a proper shape.

Five seasons under five different managers have produced a ragbag of a squad, with some bosses having done little more than dismantle a few of their predecessor’s errors and burden the club with a few mistakes of their own before jumping back into the revolving door."

Columnists, former managers and players have all pointed the finger at us for our lack of strategy with managerial recruitment & retention and squad-building. Are we going to look back on this January window in a years time and say - these new guys clearly strengthened our squad? Will we have a platform to start climbing back up the table?

Are you suggesting the board had the intention previously just to have manager's here for a year and have them change the squad each time?

Hibbyradge
18-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Perhaps the thread should be re-titled 'Have Hibs and Hibs Supporters learned the lessons of the revolving door' :devil:

Not since Miller have the board stuck with a manager. And even then arguably not.

It appears, on the surface, that when the support start calling for the managers head, the board act. For the first time in a very long time, during the summer, I think they thought they could afford to give the manager time.

No need for the devil smiley. You're spot on.

Hibs get critisised for sacking managers too often by the very same fans who called for their sacking in the first place.

even if we are unfortunate enough to get relegated, we should stick with Pat Fenlon and give him the chance to rebuild properly.

No chance of that though.

Captain Trips
18-01-2012, 10:23 AM
I agree a manager needs time and PF is now in an awkward situation of perhaps not getting in players to build due to our position in SPl so loans are coming in.

What I will say though PF will get time if he is signing players that at least equal that time so far we have a new player signed at 18mths length. There is no point in him having 2yrs and changing most of the squad over in that time as we will find ouselves still struggling. I am not happy at the short term loans we are looking at but accept we are in a mess however I really hope in summer this stops and we are building properly if its 12mth deals and 18mths PF will be lucky to stay that long himself.

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2012, 10:32 AM
No need for the devil smiley. You're spot on.

Hibs get critisised for sacking managers too often by the very same fans who called for their sacking in the first place.

even if we are unfortunate enough to get relegated, we should stick with Pat Fenlon and give him the chance to rebuild properly.

No chance of that though.

I agree, yet the same could not be said if that happened under Calderwood. He was rightly sacked, Hughes was rightly sacked Collins walked and Mixu himself said the job was too early for him. Mowbray was poached.

No manager has not been given funds or time to make a difference, results are the name of the game these days, whether we like it or not?

Hibs in the bottom 6 is complete failure on every count. It is not acceptable, and sacking should be automatic if that is under your leadership. For too long imo we accept mediocrity, and say nowt when things are slipping.

How many times do you see it on here, we are sitting 7th, but we are only 6 points from 3rd? next week its, we are sitting 8th, but we are only 8 points from 3rd. Then we get a list of games where we might have 3 at home and 2 away and people are predicting 12 points when we should all know 4 or 5 is what we will probably get.

Mediocrity has become the norm at Hibs, and we the fans seem to roll over and just accept it. To be fair there's not a lot we can do, yet if you man about it you are classed as a doom and gloomer, when imo there's been nothing to be happy about? :confused:

So to sum up, any manager who has Hibs sitting in the bottom 6 should be worried about there erse being booted out the door, its not acceptable EVER.

Mikeystewart
18-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Lets hope that the current manager is given time (at least 18 months). This season is again a write off and we're building for next season. (unless we have a cup final or, dare I say it out loud, a cup win)

Progress on and off the park will be judged at the end of the season - and drive us on to a higher placing next season.

It would be rather ironic :duck:

Jack
18-01-2012, 11:21 AM
From the Scotsman

I have a fairly responsible job where I have to behave professionally. Everything I say is scrutinised

I post on here free of these shackles and take great delight in posting fibs, rumours and pash thus winding up those people who are daft enough to take the ramblings of an internet fool seriously. :wink:

On the scale of important things in life...messageboards are for me, only a wee bit of skive from work and light relief. :greengrin

Oh and I love Hibs - so any excuse is better than none to talk about them

Perspective Required

Which one is this then?

Speedway
18-01-2012, 11:42 AM
I agree, yet the same could not be said if that happened under Calderwood. He was rightly sacked, Hughes was rightly sacked Collins walked and Mixu himself said the job was too early for him. Mowbray was poached.

No manager has not been given funds or time to make a difference, results are the name of the game these days, whether we like it or not?

Hibs in the bottom 6 is complete failure on every count. It is not acceptable, and sacking should be automatic if that is under your leadership. For too long imo we accept mediocrity, and say nowt when things are slipping.

How many times do you see it on here, we are sitting 7th, but we are only 6 points from 3rd? next week its, we are sitting 8th, but we are only 8 points from 3rd. Then we get a list of games where we might have 3 at home and 2 away and people are predicting 12 points when we should all know 4 or 5 is what we will probably get.

Mediocrity has become the norm at Hibs, and we the fans seem to roll over and just accept it. To be fair there's not a lot we can do, yet if you man about it you are classed as a doom and gloomer, when imo there's been nothing to be happy about? :confused:

So to sum up, any manager who has Hibs sitting in the bottom 6 should be worried about there erse being booted out the door, its not acceptable EVER.

This is the only point I disagree on. When was it ever any different?

RIP
18-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Are you suggesting the board had the intention previously just to have manager's here for a year and have them change the squad each time?

Andy - did you miss the :wink: smiley. Or maybe you think I'm just not very bright?

Off topic I know but I was in a meeting with some of my company directors recently and we were carrying out a "lessons learnt" review of a large project delivery. We identified what aspects could have been done better and created an action plan for improvements. As part of that there was a skills analysis - i.e. did we have sufficiently qualified experienced people in place developing the strategy, doing the planning and making the decisions.

I'm sure our current board / management team have carried out a similar exercise and have a much controlled long-term sqaud-building strategy than what appears to have been their previous approach of "hire a manager" and "leave it to him to build a team". And before anyone asks - that's not about the board selecting players. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2012, 01:52 PM
This is the only point I disagree on. When was it ever any different?

Its not Speedway, and that has to change. The whole mindset of the club and fans has to change from one who keeps saying, oh well thats how its always been, to sod that **** we demand better.

Dashing Bob S
18-01-2012, 02:16 PM

I agree with this. At the very minimum, and even in a transitional year, a club of our size should never be out the top six. Its the SPL, not La Liga.

However, I think the sheer magnitude of the mess left behind, to some extent by every manager since Mowbray, (and by Petrie), means that there is a lot of sorting out to do. I wasn't for giving Calderwood time, because it was obvious that he was disinterested in the job and not a manager. I get an entirely different vibe from Fenlon, so I'm willing to cut him a bit more slack in sorting out this mess.

I'm not looking for much of a turnaround with the current mob, who simply can't defend, either at set-pieces or from the middle of the park. They couldn't perform for the no-mark who signed them, so they won't for anybody else. Fenlon has impressed me by starting to clear them out, and it looks like that will be ongoing. Lets now hope he can bring people in that can move us forward.

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2012, 02:54 PM
I agree with this. At the very minimum, and even in a transitional year, a club of our size should never be out the top six. Its the SPL, not La Liga.

However, I think the sheer magnitude of the mess left behind, to some extent by every manager since Mowbray, (and by Petrie), means that there is a lot of sorting out to do. I wasn't for giving Calderwood time, because it was obvious that he was disinterested in the job and not a manager. I get an entirely different vibe from Fenlon, so I'm willing to cut him a bit more slack in sorting out this mess.

I'm not looking for much of a turnaround with the current mob, who simply can't defend, either at set-pieces or from the middle of the park. They couldn't perform for the no-mark who signed them, so they won't for anybody else. Fenlon has impressed me by starting to clear them out, and it looks like that will be ongoing. Lets now hope he can bring people in that can move us forward.

Yes Bob, there are mitigating circumstances this season, and Fenlon needs cut a little slack because of the actions of the clowns before him.

Rantic would never accept 3rd place, bottom 6 place should get you the sack at Hibs.

Captain Trips
18-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Yes Bob, there are mitigating circumstances this season, and Fenlon needs cut a little slack because of the actions of the clowns before him.

Rantic would never accept 3rd place, bottom 6 place should get you the sack at Hibs.

I would go a bit further BH, I see talk of top six on here as if that is ok, 3rd or 4th is for me the measure of where we need to be, ok 3rd and 4th are top 6 but it seems just to be in top 6 is ok, well for me it's not I do not even recognise the top 6 or bottom 6 Hibs need to be and should be at 3rd, 4th and if OF have a real bad one maybe a 2nd at sometime, 5th and 6th is failure for me.

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2012, 03:04 PM
I would go a bit further BH, I see talk of top six on here as if that is ok, 3rd or 4th is for me the measure of where we need to be, ok 3rd and 4th are top 6 but it seems just to be in top 6 is ok, well for me it's not I do not even recognise the top 6 or bottom 6 Hibs need to be and should be at 3rd, 4th and if OF have a real bad one maybe a 2nd at sometime, 5th and 6th is failure for me.

I'm with you normally, but we really are an awful football team at the moment. And 3rd or 4th positions imo are a million miles away. Once we get a top 6 place, then obviously 3rd or 4th should be the target.

Will say it again, any manager taking us into the bottom 6 should get their erse kicked out the door pronto.

Its not good enough, and never will be.

Captain Trips
18-01-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm with you normally, but we really are an awful football team at the moment. And 3rd or 4th positions imo are a million miles away. Once we get a top 6 place, then obviously 3rd or 4th should be the target.

Will say it again, any manager taking us into the bottom 6 should get their erse kicked out the door pronto.

Its not good enough, and never will be.

I think PF will do well to get a team together but I would say top 6 or bottom are just splits in table that really mean nothing well to me anyway, what if it was top 8 and bottom 4 would we be happy to be 8th?. I think getting in top 6 can give a false sense of success certainly for Hibs, I am with you in general BH but if the manager should get punted for not making top 6 I do not think they should stay for finishing 6th.

It is time for the team to step up to the mark of the costs in East Mains and finishing the stadium and those 2 elemets have 3rd and 4th (possibly higher:greengrin) all over them.

ancient hibee
18-01-2012, 03:56 PM
At the AGM I suggested that our manager's contract should contain a clause stating that finishing out of the top 6 in a full managerial season would be considered grounds for sacking without compensation.This got a big laugh so obviously not taken seriously-can't see why.