PDA

View Full Version : Greggs James Harper

Leighonel
16-01-2012, 08:58 PM
http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/football-league/championship/1467/83/hulls-harper-set-spl-move?

Would be a good signing. This would also fit with Fenlon talking about signing quality players with a bit of experience.
Edit: Meant to put Greggs not Yams

Andy74
16-01-2012, 09:00 PM
St Johnstone again. Pay nothing on youth teams and try and match the wages of teams getting far bigger crowds.

Pedantic_Hibee
16-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Not a bad player to be honest.

What's Nigel Quashie up to these days? Always rated him, although I presume he's now about 46 years old.

R'Albin
16-01-2012, 09:06 PM
^^Going by what age he was when I signed him a few years ago on FM, 33 I think.

Edit- Never mind- wrong Harper!

The_Todd
16-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Him plus McManus or McPake and we're done. Unless GO'C leaves.

bingo70
16-01-2012, 09:08 PM
^^Going by what age he was when I signed him a few years ago on FM, 33 I think.

Not sure about Harper, despite playing/benchwarming for Newcastle for over 10 years I've not been that impressed. Plus I don't think Keeper is an area that really needs strengthened at the moment.

it's a different Harper, this is James Harper, used to be at Reading

R'Albin
16-01-2012, 09:09 PM
it's a different Harper, this is James Harper, used to be at Reading

Oops! Got them mixed up... :greengrin

greenlex
16-01-2012, 09:18 PM
How fat is he?

3pm
16-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Played well for Reading in their Premiership spell. Ran for fun and got stuck in. Can't recall him scoring many but was tidy and efficient with the ball.

Winston Ingram
16-01-2012, 09:36 PM
There's probably some legs in this. He was a team mate of Stacks in the Arsenal youth team:agree:

Sergeant Hibs
16-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Would be an absolutely brilliant signing

KWJ
16-01-2012, 11:48 PM
Yeah, always thought he was a decent enough player. Would imagine he'd still be on a tidy wage and could move to another CC or L1 side that could cover it though.

hibee92
17-01-2012, 12:07 AM
He'd be a fantastic signing! IIRC Bolton, Newcastle and other premiership teams were looking to offer up to £5m or more for him after an impressive season in the prem with Reading.

Leeson
17-01-2012, 07:35 AM
St Johnstone again. Pay nothing on youth teams and try and match the wages of teams getting far bigger crowds.
To be fair to St Johnstone, they had a good youth system until Alastair Stevenson left them to go to Easter Road. That kind of scunnered them, coupled with relegation. They are trying to get it going again now they are back in the SPL and have a had a few players back in U19/U21 squads and have had four or five young players out on loan at SFL clubs this season.

Should they just stand aside when a big club like Hibs want the same player?

Anyway, one of the reports (http://www.hull.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=269375) I read on this suggested it was Hibs that are most keen on the player, with him just being a name on a list for Lomas, so looks like Hibs will win this one.

bingo70
17-01-2012, 07:44 AM
My memory of Harper was that he wasn't the greatest player in the world but he was a hard worker and one of those players that got everywhere, my concern would be at his age and the fact he isn't needed by Hull would be that his legs are going and we could have potentially another De Graaf on our hands.

I could be totally wrong though as i've never been a massive fan of the premiership but i'm not as excited about this signing as some on here.

bingo70
17-01-2012, 08:00 AM
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=297&fid=148&sty=2&act=1&mid=2115526990

Hull fans certainly not worried about him leaving, i know the championship is a better standard than the SPL but if someone did well with us they would earn a move higher than a bench warmer at a club like Hull.

Caversham Green
17-01-2012, 08:22 AM
He was an important part of the Reading promotion and premiership sides, but wasn't that popular with some fans by the time he left. Waves his arms about and points a lot and tends to play sideways, but having said all that I think he's a good strong midfielder with a bit of dig. If he's retained his energy I think he'd be a great signing.

Andy74
17-01-2012, 08:22 AM

Hull fans certainly not worried about him leaving, i know the championship is a better standard than the SPL but if someone did well with us they would earn a move higher than a bench warmer at a club like Hull.

I guess it depends what players they already have in that position and what type of players they need at this time.

None of our midfield, except Ozzy maybe, would get near a Championship squad.

We have some specific needs and a player like him, with the experience he has, would be very welcome for us regardless of how he is viewed at his current place.

cocopops1875
17-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Seem to recall him being a bit of a fans boo boy at reading. To late cav got in 1st but that's my memory of seeing reading at that time too

bingo70
17-01-2012, 08:29 AM
I guess it depends what players they already have in that position and what type of players they need at this time.

We have some specific needs and a player like him, with the experience he has, would be very welcome for us regardless of how he is viewed at his current place.

Maybe your right, his experience would definately be valuable, i just have my concerns and wouldn't be sure about throwing too much of our budget at him.

Leithenhibby
17-01-2012, 08:31 AM

:agree: If we sign him, it's what he does for us that counts!! and by all accounts he would be a very welcome addition as we will struggle without his kind of experience :wink:

Caversham Green
17-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Seem to recall him being a bit of a fans boo boy at reading

I think a big part of that was because he made it clear that he wanted to move after they were relegated - Stephen Hunt got the same treatment. He's also not the most spectacular of players (arm waving aside), but he was captain whem Murty wasn't available.

brog
17-01-2012, 08:57 AM

I'm not convinced about that, I see a fair number of Championship games & plenty are atrocious, mind you it's mainly Palace so that may explain it! :wink:
I was at Brighton-Bristol C on Saturday though & that was also v poor. Brighton scored 2 excellent goals but from only 3 shots on target & Bristol's only shot on target came in injury time. To get back to the subject a mid 2 of Harper & Osbourne would provide plenty security for back 4 & allow PF to play either with wingers or possibly 3 up front.

Aldo
17-01-2012, 09:25 AM
I really do think PF knows from the crap that he had binned that we don't need anymore journeyman.

I trust PF and will wait and see what happens before judging folk. Remember not everyone in here will be happy with every signing but have to wait and see, it's about having a balanced side... Something PF is trying to address.

SteveHFC
17-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Lee Croft is apparently signing for St.Johnstone. :aok:

hibee92
17-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Lee Croft is apparently signing for St.Johnstone. :aok:

Source? He'd be another great signing, only 26 I believe and has played in the premier league a fair few times. St Johnstone seem to know how to attract experienced quality (assuming they manage to get harper and croft) as shown by jody morris

BurghHibby
17-01-2012, 09:52 PM
http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/football-league/championship/1467/83/hulls-harper-set-spl-move?

Would be a good signing. This would also fit with Fenlon talking about signing quality players with a bit of experience.
Edit: Meant to put Greggs not Yams

A mate that is a Tigers fan would be delighted if they got rid of Harper, he struggles to last 60 mins and not been near the first team this season.
Hopefully St Johnstone can "beat" us to this signing as well.

SteveHFC
17-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Source? He'd be another great signing, only 26 I believe and has played in the premier league a fair few times. St Johnstone seem to know how to attract experienced quality (assuming they manage to get harper and croft) as shown by jody morris

It's on the St.Johnstone forum

Bayern Bru
17-01-2012, 11:46 PM
He was an important part of the Reading promotion and premiership sides, but wasn't that popular with some fans by the time he left. Waves his arms about and points a lot and tends to play sideways, but having said all that I think he's a good strong midfielder with a bit of dig. If he's retained his energy I think he'd be a great signing.

He sounds like a taller Ross Chisholm. Underwhelmed.

frazeHFC
17-01-2012, 11:47 PM
James Harper was really good a few years ago, and brilliant for my Reading team on FM08 :greengrin But at 33 i reckon he will be past his best by a long way, but could still give experience to us.

SteveHFC
17-01-2012, 11:48 PM
James Harper was really good a few years ago, and brilliant for my Reading team on FM08 :greengrin But at 31 i reckon he will be past his best by a long way, but could still give experience to us.

Sorted that for you :wink:

frazeHFC
17-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Sorted that for you :wink:

:greengrin

I must've put 33 cos i saw Ralb put that for the keeper Harper. :wink: