PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Better Atmosphere at ER

billbee
16-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Just a thought - I really enjoyed the upbeatness of the fans on Saturday! we were all close in that Dunfy away stand!the numbers that filled it really lifted the team.

We now go back to ER my question is, is the East Stand to big for us the now? Lookinground the ground on our last home tie it is sad to see so many empty seats round the ground, I know we have seen all the posts, about no worth the gate money going in, the teams rubbish, the booing, and general depression it must affect the players. My idea would be to cut the size of the East Stand by say a third! Partitions could easly be installed to cut off the back of the stand moving the crowd down, they could then be removed for the bigger games. Arsenal when playing at the old Highbury, even had huge posters of fans in areas where the ground was being renovated. More Green and White flags all round, lets make the family hame a wee bit smaller and start making an atmosphere like the auld East or in my days The Auld North. A change is needed all round, its time to start intimidating teams at ER with our support, the day mite come when we can fill it, its all there for us when that time comes - Any thoughts???

Keith_M
16-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Just a thought - I really enjoyed the upbeatness of the fans on Saturday! we were all close in that Dunfy away stand!the numbers that filled it really lifted the team.

We now go back to ER my question is, is the East Stand to big for us the now? Lookinground the ground on our last home tie it is sad to see so many empty seats round the ground, I know we have seen all the posts, about no worth the gate money going in, the teams rubbish, the booing, and general depression it must affect the players. My idea would be to cut the size of the East Stand by say a third! Partitions could easly be installed to cut off the back of the stand moving the crowd down, they could then be removed for the bigger games. Arsenal when playing at the old Highbury, even had huge posters of fans in areas where the ground was being renovated. More Green and White flags all round, lets make the family hame a wee bit smaller and start making an atmosphere like the auld East or in my days The Auld North. A change is needed all round, its time to start intimidating teams at ER with our support, the day mite come when we can fill it, its all there for us when that time comes - Any thoughts???

We could do what Dunfermline did and close one of the stands.

Maybe even two, on a bad day :wink:

matty_f
16-01-2012, 06:40 PM
I think we should go back to the good old days of booing the opposition and cheering on the Hibs. I definitely liked it better that way round.:hibees

Chuck Rhoades
16-01-2012, 06:46 PM
The club should move everyone from the FF into West/East for the remainder of the season. That would save running costs for the FF stand. Although people in the FF got cheaper ST so no doubt problems would arise between fans then.

Problem is there are ST sold in every section so what do you do?

I have suggested closing the last two sections at each side of the east.

Any change would mean relocating some fans though and that's where the problems would also arise.

hibbymark
16-01-2012, 07:21 PM
This isnt a criticism just a opinion! After 30 odd years in the east I now sit in the west,my choice and whilst im aware the west has never been the most

rocking atmospheric place to sit I think the singing section/12th man/ section 43 has actually killed the atmosphere in the other parts of the ground.

Its much easier to join in singing songs when the person two along or the row infront or two rows behind is singing. The singers all in one little pocket

in the east stops this. I and maybe some others have kind of sat back and let them get on with it. Added to that the perceived (possibly wrong) age

of the majority of the group and the sometimes dodgy non p.c songs has kind of alienated me and again maybe others. At the end of the day the

product on the park is what excites crowds and atmosphere feeds of that. Also the lack of away fans at easter road in the last couple of seasons

again stops fans singing back and forward. Heres hoping for a early Hibs goal on saturday and a return to the feel good factor that was there on saturday.:flag:

SquashedFrogg
16-01-2012, 08:26 PM
This isnt a criticism just a opinion! After 30 odd years in the east I now sit in the west,my choice and whilst im aware the west has never been the most

rocking atmospheric place to sit I think the singing section/12th man/ section 43 has actually killed the atmosphere in the other parts of the ground.

Its much easier to join in singing songs when the person two along or the row infront or two rows behind is singing. The singers all in one little pocket

in the east stops this. I and maybe some others have kind of sat back and let them get on with it. Added to that the perceived (possibly wrong) age

of the majority of the group and the sometimes dodgy non p.c songs has kind of alienated me and again maybe others. At the end of the day the

product on the park is what excites crowds and atmosphere feeds of that. Also the lack of away fans at easter road in the last couple of seasons

again stops fans singing back and forward. Heres hoping for a early Hibs goal on saturday and a return to the feel good factor that was there on saturday.:flag:

Disagree. Scattering the singers across the stadium has killed the atmosphere.

You get half a dozen singing then the next half a dozen sitting in their hands. You end up feeling a bit of a plonker bouncing up and down and singing when the guys next to you are sitting reading their programme/adjusting their travel rug.

Green and white
16-01-2012, 08:38 PM
I would like the ss to be in the famous five because it's traditional that the main support are behind the goal. If you could have a drink in the games it would help, give fans a 20p tolken for every plastic beer cup they bring back and you have free cleaning and more profit. I seen that idea on a thread here before about German football.

Minder
16-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Imaginative discounted/free ticket schemes to tempt new people in or bring those back that have stopped going would help, plus a winning team.

:flag:

Sammy7nil
16-01-2012, 10:05 PM
It really is up to the manager and the team.

Play football score goals win games the fans will return and the atmosphere will improve.

We have won ONE game at ER can you expect anything else other than a dead atmosphere ?

Albion Hibs
16-01-2012, 10:09 PM
I would like to see the club do better deals on ticket prices. I know we have the Hibs Kids stuff this weekend, but I think it is important to take advantage of the last few results, drop the prices and get more folk in. We have a run of home game after the rangers and I think it is essential to have the stadium as full as it can be.

Sammy7nil
16-01-2012, 10:14 PM
I would like to see the club do better deals on ticket prices. I know we have the Hibs Kids stuff this weekend, but I think it is important to take advantage of the last few results, drop the prices and get more folk in. We have a run of home game after the rangers and I think it is essential to have the stadium as full as it can be.

What would season ticket holders get?
There is little incentive to buy a ST now if you start offering deals the ST holders may well think twice about paying upfront next season.

Scouse Hibee
16-01-2012, 10:17 PM
There is little incentive to buy a ST now if you start offering deals the ST holders may well think twice about paying upfront next season.

We're getting 50% off next season.......................well we must be surely to compensate for the deals/memberships other folk are getting.:greengrin

Albion Hibs
16-01-2012, 10:23 PM

I dont know. I am a season ticket holder and have been for years. for the sake of reducing ticket prices by £5/£10 for some of the home games for the rest of the season I could not really care less. I would far rather that the stadium had plenty more people in it, a far better atmosphere, and a big crowd backing the team - dunfermline was a great example of how good it could be.

I would be surprised if there was not plenty more ST holders would rather have all of the above than a £30 benefit.

Scouse Hibee
16-01-2012, 10:27 PM
I dont know. I am a season ticket holder and have been for years. for the sake of reducing ticket prices by £5/£10 for some of the home games for the rest of the season I could not really care less. I would far rather that the stadium had plenty more people in it, a far better atmosphere, and a big crowd backing the team - dunfermline was a great example of how good it could be.

I would be surprised if there was not plenty more ST holders would rather have all of the above than a £30 benefit.

:agree: I'd settle for ensuring our SPL status with a packed stadium and a jumping atmosphere as my bonus. Would be looking for more next season though :wink:

Albion Hibs
16-01-2012, 10:35 PM
:agree: I'd settle for ensuring our SPL status with a packed stadium and a jumping atmosphere as my bonus. Would be looking for more next season though :wink:

I dont see why they could not wing season ticket holders this year a voucher which gives you 5% off if you renew for next year.

Saturdays game was the best away atmosphere in years. We must have increased our traveling support by 3 or 4 times. If we could do that with our home crowd it would be nothing short of immense!

monktonharp
17-01-2012, 12:05 AM

again stops fans singing back and forward. Heres hoping for a early Hibs goal on saturday and a return to the feel good factor that was there on saturday.:flag: sounds like you need to stay in the West.:rolleyes:

Dashing Bob S
17-01-2012, 12:34 AM
Think we rode the downward spiral steadily with a couple of blips, since 2007 and with the last days of Calderwood hit absolute rock bottom- realistically in this day and age, probably about as low as a club our size could be expected to sink.

I'm of view that little can be resolved by tinkering around with the stadium. I'd like to see what new personnel and a winning run can do to both gates and atmosphere.

I think in Fenlon we have a guy who is committed and knows what he's doing and is working hard to sort the playing side out. That has definitely encouraged fans. Results remain poor but there is a strong sense that we don't have a disinterested chocolate ersed clown at the helm now, but a guy who is disinclined to have us remain as soft touches.

A couple of decent defenders and midfielders will tighten things up and when we score three goals it'll mean a comfortable win rather than a narrow escape. Results and performances will do it, every time.

Anything else is just rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

RIP
17-01-2012, 06:19 AM
This isnt a criticism just a opinion! After 30 odd years in the east I now sit in the west,my choice and whilst im aware the west has never been the most rocking atmospheric place to sit I think the singing section/12th man/ section 43 has actually killed the atmosphere in the other parts of the ground.

Its much easier to join in singing songs when the person two along or the row infront or two rows behind is singing. The singers all in one little pocket in the east stops this. I and maybe some others have kind of sat back and let them get on with it.

Maybe this season Mark, but not last. In Section43 last season there were 3 pockets of singers and being spread out was much better. There's nothing worse than all 3 groups stood in a small group - it looks like a private party is going on and no-one else is invited. Best that song starters are sprinkled around, to act as first voices to LEAD the singing. It's much more organic and less stage-managed.

Added to that the perceived (possibly wrong) age of the majority of the group and the sometimes dodgy non p.c songs has kind of alienated me and again maybe others.

Agree totally. This was the biggest reason given for some of my mates leaving S43 at the end of last season. It took us a while to kill off the childish, abusive and Yam songs (almost) but we probably lost a few dozen more like you. Sticking to Hibs only songs should see that turned around over time

Heres hoping for a early Hibs goal on saturday and a return to the feel good factor that was there on saturday.:flag:

The best atmosphere has been recently when we have LOST an early goal. Our biggest test of character has been to respond to being one or even two goals down with even louder cheering and singing. When the going gets tough, the tough have to get going. No point in expecting the players to show bottle if the crappers soil their pants and start booing. We need to show the character displayed on Saturday at the Holy Ground and intimidate the opposition.

hibbymark
17-01-2012, 06:37 AM
sounds like you need to stay in the West.:rolleyes:

Great reply. oh my sides :na na:

Franck is God
17-01-2012, 11:30 AM
I was at East End park on Saturday and the biggest difference for me was the lack of negative responses when we conceded cheap possession or missed out on opportunities and of course when they scored.

We need that at ER too, the game lasts 90 minutes and during that time we need to outscore the opposition so lets create a positive encouraging atmosphere for the players to do it in.

Better numbers in the stands will also help but there's part of me that doesn't want them along if all they're going to do is moan any time something goes wrong on the pitch.

whiskyhibby
17-01-2012, 01:54 PM
The East should be non dedicated seating allowing those who sing to group together IMHO

beensaidbefore
17-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Most of the sound of any singing coming from the other 3 stands when the old east was still around was lost anyway, I believe the volume created by the old east was due to the low roof, and the sound being projected onto the pitch rather than being lost in the massive space between roofs and pitch which currently happens.

Question for anyone with accoustic knowledge... Could the stands be kitted out to be more sound friendly, which could help prevent sound loss, or increase sound projection onto the pitch??

If rules are changed to allow standing, we should look at creating a terracing area in the centre of one stand and placing some type of perspex roof to help project the volume onto the pitch. without blocking the views of those higher up.

For what its worth now, I believe it was sensless when building the new stand that Hibs did not seek to pilot a re-introduction of terracing which could have been incorporated into the design or the stand with all singing and dancing safety features.

yekimevol
18-01-2012, 12:54 AM
at the start of every match day there are eleven people who can make a better atmosphere at easter road ... THE PLAYERS.

all the have to do is give us the signs of hard work and a drive to attack, east end on Saturday proved this so much.

the lads were doing ok in the first half came out in the second and gave it there all and the crowd reacted to that.

IWasThere2016
18-01-2012, 08:51 AM

I would reduce walk up tickets prices for the remainder of the season - with particularly large concessions for kids.

We MUST make attempts to improve the atmosphere and support to the team.

We MUST also build the fanbase as a half full stadium is of use to no one.

This will have a knock-on to results and encourage more to attend.

There would need to be 'compensation' for ST holders (and cup top-up holders) and I would give free entry - if permitted within SC rules - to the SC game v Killie (not all will attend otherwise) and Hibs Shop discount vouchers respectively.

Hibs must do something.

The impact of more positivity and less negativity was very obvious on Saturday, and very obviously helped produce the desired result.

:pfgwa

At The Edge
18-01-2012, 05:14 PM
The atmosphere will improve with the upturn in results, that is a no brainer.

However as was seen by all at the pars game, the players responded to a positive vibe from the travelling support.
If we can contiinue that in Saturdays game againts the Saints then i really think that we'll get a performance from the players.
People respond well to encouragement, footballers are no different,
its a win win situation, the team responds well to the positive vibes from the stands, the fans are positive from the players on the park putting a shift in and working as a unit.

Pat has started to clear out players he deems unfit to wear the green and white, hes made a stand, time for us to do the same, give him a bit of time. This season is probably a write off, but i'd rather he protected our SPL status and then got us firing on all cylinders for next season.
the thought of life in Division 1 will only help the boo boys, they can wallow in their misery even more then.

Onwards to the good times at ER

NAE NOOKIE
18-01-2012, 05:51 PM
The singing section should move to the FF lower .... and be allowed to stand if they want. When you hear the noise that even a few away fans can generate in the South lower it should be a no brainer. I have been going to ER for over 30 years and have never been able to understand why my fellow Hibbies prefer the East side of the ground as opposed to a Kop like set up behind the goals.

Anyway ... as I posted at the time it was being built, the problem with the East is that its just too big. Under normal circumstances the East side of ER has never had more than a couple of thousand enthusiastic singers and if you want to make that number of fans an effective unit you have to put them into a space which doesnt dwarf them.

The East should have been no bigger than 5,000 which would still have increased the capacity to around 19,000, more than big enough for a club of our size. Anyway, its a done deal now. But what can change is the location of the more enthusiastic members of the Hibs family.

I for one would prefer to see a whole end of the ground designated as the singing section rather than a poxy wee section of a massive stand.

RIP
18-01-2012, 09:19 PM
People respond well to encouragement, footballers are no different, its a win win situation, the team responds well to the positive vibes from the stands, the fans are positive from the players on the park putting a shift in and working as a unit.

The thought of life in Division 1 will only help the boo boys, they can wallow in their misery even more then.

Onwards to the good times at ER

Well said that man:top marks It only took a few letters to our players to make them realise we were behind them. They responded by applauding us after the warm up; we responded by singing before kick off; they responded by attacking with more passion; Dunfy scored a goal; we sung a song; they fought back; Dunfy scored an equaliser; we roared them on; they scored a winner.

The impact of our support must never be underestimated. It's now been all over the papers (Record, Sun, Herald, Scotsman) how much of a difference it makes to the lads.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2012/01/16/hibs-trust-vow-to-silence-boo-boys-if-squad-shows-enough-fight-on-the-pitch-86908-23701313/

We have a chance with effect from this Saturday to make abusing our own players a thing of the past

Hibs Supporters - first and foremost!! :flag::hibees

RIP
18-01-2012, 09:26 PM
The singing section should move to the FF lower .... and be allowed to stand if they want. When you hear the noise that even a few away fans can generate in the South lower it should be a no brainer. I have been going to ER for over 30 years and have never been able to understand why my fellow Hibbies prefer the East side of the ground as opposed to a Kop like set up behind the goals.

Beside the away support. It's the same at grounds all over the UK

I for one would prefer to see a whole end of the ground designated as the singing section rather than a poxy wee section of a massive stand.

On Saturday we had 3,000 singing.

The whole East Stand will be singing soon - not just a poxy wee section as you refer to it. Even at the derby there were over a thousand singing at one point. It's only our deplorable home record that has prevented this happening more often since the new East opened. The purpose of a singing section is merely to START the singing.

woody47
18-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Most of the sound of any singing coming from the other 3 stands when the old east was still around was lost anyway, I believe the volume created by the old east was due to the low roof, and the sound being projected onto the pitch rather than being lost in the massive space between roofs and pitch which currently happens.

Question for anyone with accoustic knowledge... Could the stands be kitted out to be more sound friendly, which could help prevent sound loss, or increase sound projection onto the pitch??
If rules are changed to allow standing, we should look at creating a terracing area in the centre of one stand and placing some type of perspex roof to help project the volume onto the pitch. without blocking the views of those higher up.

For what its worth now, I believe it was sensless when building the new stand that Hibs did not seek to pilot a re-introduction of terracing which could have been incorporated into the design or the stand with all singing and dancing safety features.

Give them microphones :greengrin

nickwhibs
18-01-2012, 11:00 PM

Anyway ... as I posted at the time it was being built, the problem with the East is that its just too big. Under normal circumstances the East side of ER has never had more than a couple of thousand enthusiastic singers and if you want to make that number of fans an effective unit you have to put them into a space which doesnt dwarf them.

The East should have been no bigger than 5,000 which would still have increased the capacity to around 19,000, more than big enough for a club of our size. Anyway, its a done deal now. But what can change is the location of the more enthusiastic members of the Hibs family.

My thoughts exactly :agree:

marinello59
19-01-2012, 07:24 AM

I can't say I agree with that. The noise generated in the old East mainly stayed in there. When the new East does start chanting or singing en masse it is much more impressive than the old stand used to be.
Atmosphere is mainly improved by fans responding to decent performances, it's a two way thing. Any attempts at artifically kick starting anything will only ever meet with limited success.

Kato
19-01-2012, 07:55 AM
I can't say I agree with that. The noise generated in the old East mainly stayed in there. When the new East does start chanting or singing en masse it is much more impressive than the old stand used to be.
Atmosphere is mainly improved by fans responding to decent performances, it's a two way thing. Any attempts at artifically kick starting anything will only ever meet with limited success.

New stand is far far louder. I was a regular in the old East Stand and on the odd occasion I watched the game from the West stand I was surprised at how much quieter the old east was from there. On the other hand, with less people singing at the moment as we have had little reason to get rocking, the sound projects from the New East a lot more. It comes down to what was said when the new stand was being mooted, stands don't make and atmosphere, people do.

NAE NOOKIE
19-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Beside the away support. It's the same at grounds all over the UK

On Saturday we had 3,000 singing.

The whole East Stand will be singing soon - not just a poxy wee section as you refer to it. Even at the derby there were over a thousand singing at one point. It's only our deplorable home record that has prevented this happening more often since the new East opened. The purpose of a singing section is merely to START the singing.

I wasnt having a go at the singing section, merely suggesting that they would be more effective in a part of the ground which could increase their impact and to a certain extent could claim as their own. I also think you have misunderstood my use of the word "poxy" in this context. Have a look at my responses in past threads to criticism of the singing section.

I also agree that the point of the SS is to start the singing, not to be the only singers and me and my mate who sit a couple of sections to the right of them do our best to make that happen, its just a pity that the rest of the folk who sit around us in the centre of the East dont seem so enthusiastic.

GGTTH

RIP
20-01-2012, 09:35 AM
I wasnt having a go at the singing section, merely suggesting that they would be more effective in a part of the ground which could increase their impact and to a certain extent could claim as their own. I also think you have misunderstood my use of the word "poxy" in this context. Have a look at my responses in past threads to criticism of the singing section.

I also agree that the point of the SS is to start the singing, not to be the only singers and me and my mate who sit a couple of sections to the right of them do our best to make that happen, its just a pity that the rest of the folk who sit around us in the centre of the East dont seem so enthusiastic.

GGTTH

That's OK mate maybe I was more offended by the size comparison (poxy wee section :greengrin.)

When I had my first dialogue with Fife in March 2010 the Singing Section was planned as being the top 15 rows all the way from S41 (centre line) to the S45 (top corner). But it was poorly marketed at the ticket office and as a result singers were split up across the stand. We spent around 10 weeks lobbying people to move into S43 to band together. Personally, now that the singing section is established, I'd like to see us spread across the top of the East, rather than all in one section.

Maybe this could happen in stages i.e. Spread across the top of S42, then S41?