PDA

View Full Version : Yam Manager

EasterRoad4Ever
15-01-2012, 10:07 PM
When Paulo was introduced at beginning of Sportscene tonight , I feared the worst. Usual bigoted, maroon-coloured, clap-trap with inherent hatred of all things Hibs.

How wrong I was.

This guy came across as being an intelligent, well spoken, rational manager who spoke a heap of good sense. Even when it came to Hibs, he spoke with respect - a shocking change from the stuff we're used to from JJ and the string of other idiots they've employed at Tynecastle over the years.

The cynic in me say this has something to do with the problems they're having down Gorgie way making even those conceited halfwits a little humble. But a Yam being humble doesn't compute, so I'm left with the view that Paulo Segio is an unusual species - a rational human being working in Yamland. He has my sympathies.

Jones28
15-01-2012, 10:13 PM
When Paulo was introduced at beginning of Sportscene tonight , I feared the worst. Usual bigoted, maroon-coloured, clap-trap with inherent hatred of all things Hibs.

How wrong I was.

This guy came across as being an intelligent, well spoken, rational manager who spoke a heap of good sense. Even when it came to Hibs, he spoke with respect - a shocking change from the stuff we're used to from JJ and the string of other idiots they've employed at Tynecastle over the years.

The cynic in me say this has something to do with the problems they're having down Gorgie way making even those conceited halfwits a little humble. But a Yam being humble doesn't compute, so I'm left with the view that Paulo Segio is an unusual species - a rational human being working in Yamland. He has my sympathies.

Agree 100%, my opinion has changed after he came across a complete twat against Talbott.

Sir David Gray
15-01-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm still trying to work out what a "rivality" is. :confused:

And was there any need for the massive rant about how Hearts and Hibs aren't "enemies" and he doesn't have enemies in football.

It was obviously a figure of speech from MacLean!

sambajustice
15-01-2012, 10:39 PM

And was there any need for the massive rant about how Hearts and Hibs aren't "enemies" and he doesn't have enemies in football.

So i take it when you get asked similar questions in Portugese you can answer them spot on without pronunciation errors and you dont go any rants???

Thought he came across very well.

Stevie Reid
15-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Thought he came across well as well.

Of course, being Hearts manager he's always going to be a **** - quite a sound **** though :greengrin

Sammy7nil
15-01-2012, 10:43 PM

Could you perhaps write that in Portugese? No ?

I think he does very well not speaking in his native toungue and not all things translate easily.

Sir David Gray
15-01-2012, 10:44 PM
So i take it when you get asked similar questions in Portugese you can answer them spot on without pronunciation errors and you dont go any rants???

Thought he came across very well.

Could you perhaps write that in Portugese? No ?

I think he does very well not speaking in his native toungue and not all things translate easily.

I'm not working on a Portuguese television programme.

If I was then those points would be valid.

sambajustice
15-01-2012, 10:48 PM

Jeezo! :rolleyes:

Kick out all foreigners from the UK!! :rolleyes:

Whats that stupid Pat Fenlon spraffing on about all the time, cant understand a word that irish twat is coming out with!

Sir David Gray
15-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Jeezo! :rolleyes:

Kick out all foreigners from the UK!! :rolleyes:

Whats that stupid Pat Fenlon spraffing on about all the time, cant understand a word that irish twat is coming out with!

Your words, not mine.

I've got no problems at all with foreigners being on television, as long as their command of the English language is completely fluent.

Whilst you are correct to say that Paulo Sergio's English is better than my Portuguese, I found him quite difficult to understand and although his English is good, I wouldn't describe him as fluent.

As for Fenlon, last time I checked, the first language for most Irish people is English so I've got no idea why you've mentioned him.

Iain G
15-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Your words, not mine.

I've got no problems at all with foreigners being on television, as long as their command of the English language is completely fluent.

Whilst you are correct to say that Paulo Sergio's English is better than my Portuguese, I found him quite difficult to understand and although his English is good, I wouldn't describe him as fluent.

As for Fenlon, last time I checked, the first language for most Irish people is English so I've got no idea why you've mentioned him.

I suspect he is more "completely fluent" in English than a good number of the local thick and borderline illiterate football pundits employed in Scotland :agree:

Sammy7nil
15-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Your words, not mine.

Listen more attentively or put on the subtitles.
:greengrin

Sammy7nil
15-01-2012, 11:11 PM
I suspect he is more "completely fluent" in English than a good number of the local thick and borderline illiterate football pundits employed in Scotland :agree:

Fitba folk ken wits guan oan.

The boyz at the Beeb ken whay to git oan ra telly to git their point across in a real fitba folks way ken.

Iain G
15-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Fitba folk ken wits guan oan.

The boyz at the Beeb ken whay to git oan ra telly to git their point across in a real fitba folks way ken.

Thank you Alan Preston :wink:

Scouse Hibee
15-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Your words, not mine.

WTF that's it then, each and every foreign manager or player who are asked to be interviewed after a game should really consider whether their English is fluent enough before they accept!

Viva_Palmeiras
15-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Your words, not mine.

I've got no problems at all with foreigners being on television, as long as their command of the English language is completely fluent

Since these are your words I take it you mean it?

How utterly absurd "command of the English language" indeed! Half the weegies wouldn't get on by this definition (maybe no bad thing ;) )

Rivalidade is rivalry he just got his ending wrong.
Enemy in Portuguese is quite strong.

Bobo ;)

lapsedhibee
15-01-2012, 11:33 PM

If the criterion for fitba people to be interviewed on TV were a fluent command of the English language, none of us would ever know what Rooney and Beckham sound like.

leither17
15-01-2012, 11:35 PM
If the criterion for fitba people to be interviewed on TV were a fluent command of the English language, none of us would ever know what Rooney and Beckham sound like.

or sir alex pwoud vewy pwoud

The Green Goblin
15-01-2012, 11:48 PM
Your words, not mine.

Dear oh dear. That is embarrassing. "Foreigners"?! What world are you living in? An imaginary Daily Mail-inspired paradise?

GG

Beefster
16-01-2012, 07:13 AM

Spot on. I don't think we should let in any of those Johnny Foreigner types until they pass an advanced test (written and verbal) on English grammar, tense and pronunciation (with a mark of 100%).

That's my holiday to Spain goosed though, unless the entire Spanish language is "Dos Coca-Colas".

steakbake
16-01-2012, 07:16 AM
I've got no problems at all with foreigners being on television, as long as their command of the English language is completely fluent...

...and preferably they're being interviewed over a satellite link to their home countries.

Jack
16-01-2012, 07:17 AM
Spot on. I don't think we should let in any of those Johnny Foreigner types until they pass an advanced test (written and verbal) on English grammar, tense and pronunciation (with a mark of 100%).

That's my holiday to Spain goosed though, unless the entire Spanish language is "Dos Coca-Colas por favor".

Fixed that for you :greengrin

Beefster
16-01-2012, 07:25 AM

My Spanish vocabulary has been doubled! Thanks!

ManBearPig
16-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Have to say didnt find him offensive, or deluded. BUT He wasnt a good pundit or add any real insight. He rambles like Lazlo, which while entertaining and amusing is not exactly a great choice for a football show. I dont think he will get booked again and as for the first remark about his comments about hibs it was the inane ramblings of someone clearly out of his comfort zone.

In short not a bad guy, but not inspiring or that interesting.

Frogga
16-01-2012, 10:35 AM
I found him to be interesting and a good character and it was refreshing for him not to answer in the standard 'media training for dummies' way all the time. I'm guessing Rob McLean had the producers screaming in his ear throughout the show to get Sergio to move on but I thought it made Sportscene worth watching rather than just procrastinating on a Monday morning watching the online version!

steakbake
16-01-2012, 10:40 AM
I found him to be interesting and a good character and it was refreshing for him not to answer in the standard 'media training for dummies' way all the time. I'm guessing Rob McLean had the producers screaming in his ear throughout the show to get Sergio to move on but I thought it made Sportscene worth watching rather than just procrastinating on a Monday morning watching the online version!

Definitely. I also got a bit fed up with McLean's attempts to needle about the wages situation and the crisis down Tynecastle.

Here's a chance to speak to a guy who clearly knows football and is willing to talk shop. Instead there were hints of the crisis here and there.

On the park, there is very little hint of any of the turbulence behind the scenes. Sergio deserves recognition for that. Also thought his answer to the question about Hibs/Hearts rivality was mature and considered.

He's a class act. Both he and Fenlon will be proved what can be achieved if clubs stop hiring from the Scottish managerial merry-go-round and bring in a fresh perspective.

The Harp
16-01-2012, 10:56 AM
I must admit I thought he came over pretty well too. Maybe not the best pundit they've ever had on the programme but most definitely not the worst.
I'm surprised the guy can still think straight working for that maniac (I mean Mad Vlad not Rob Maclean:wink:).

--------
16-01-2012, 11:31 AM

If it was a 'figure of speech' from MacLean, it was one he should eject from his vocabulary right now.

Football's a game. Talking about 'enemies' is grossly irresponsible when you're the front man on a national TV's football highlights program. As if we don't have enough problems with football fans going to war over the OF games, now this numpty has to try to stir it up between the Edinburgh clubs. It's MacLean who should be hauled over the coals, not Sergio.

I'm old enough to remember the time when Hibs and Hearts fans went to derbies together, and stood together in unsegregated crowds without attacking one another, and then went off to the pub together afterwards. All that ended when Mercer came along, and I for one consider that that's one of the worst aspects of Mercer's effect on football in the capital.

As I understand it, Sergio has been learning to speak English really only since he came to Edinburgh. Seems to me he's doing OK.

Also he wasn't 'ranting'. MacLean (who should be a lot more aware of the implications of what he says on camera in his native language than he is) alleged that Hibs and Hearts were 'enemies'. Sadly, a lot of the fans these days see the other side as enemies, and this isn't helped by things media 'pundits' like Preston and Robertson and Hearts 'spokesmen' have come out with over the past few years. No wonder intelligent pundits like Pat Nevin tend to move on from BBC Scotland as quickly as the possibly can.

We get left with the likes of Billy Dodds and John Hughes. :rolleyes:

Sergio quite reasonably and commendably clearly (since he was answering in a language foreign to him) made it very clear that while he considered Hibs to be the number one rivals of his own club, he saw no need to talk about 'enmity' and that he himself did not consider Hibs, or the Hibs players, or Pat Fenlon, his 'enemies'. The fact that he referred to Pat by his first name was refreshing to say the least. That sounded like one professional speaking with respect about another professional colleague, which is how it should be, IMO.

He came over to me as a decent guy - much more gracious and level-headed than Jefferies or Levein, to name but two.

Bayern Bru
16-01-2012, 11:35 AM

Er, Paulo Sergio doesn't work on a Scottish television programme. He's a football manager who made a guest appearance.

Your retort is just as invalid.

Golden Bear
16-01-2012, 11:37 AM
If it was a 'figure of speech' from MacLean, it was one he should eject from his vocabulary right now.

Football's a game. Talking about 'enemies' is grossly irresponsible when you're the front man on a national TV's football highlights program. As if we don't have enough problems with football fans going to war over the OF games, now this numpty has to try to stir it up between the Edinburgh clubs. It's MacLean who should be hauled over the coals, not Sergio.

I'm old enough to remember the time when Hibs and Hearts fans went to derbies together, and stood together in unsegregated crowds without attacking one another, and then went off to the pub together afterwards. All that ended when Mercer came along, and I for one consider that that's one of the worst aspects of Mercer's effect on football in the capital.

As I understand it, Sergio has been learning to speak English really only since he came to Edinburgh. Seems to me he's doing OK.

Also he wasn't 'ranting'. MacLean (who should be a lot more aware of the implications of what he says on camera in his native language than he is) alleged that Hibs and Hearts were 'enemies'. Sadly, a lot of the fans these days see the other side as enemies, and this isn't helped by things media 'pundits' like Preston and Robertson and Hearts 'spokesmen' have come out with over the past few years. No wonder intelligent pundits like Pat Nevin tend to move on from BBC Scotland as quickly as the possibly can.

Sergio quite reasonably and commendably clearly (since he was answering in a language foreign to him) made it very clear that while he considered Hibs to be the number one rivals of his own club, he saw no need to talk about 'enmity' and that he himself did not consider Hibs, or the Hibs players, or Pat Fenlon, his 'enemies'. The fact that he referred to Pat by his first name was refreshing to say the least. That sounded like one professional speaking with respect about another professional colleague, which is how it should be, IMO.

He came over to me as a decent guy - much more gracious and level-headed than Jefferies or Levein, to name but two.

:agree:

I totally agree.

BEEJ
16-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Definitely. I also got a bit fed up with McLean's attempts to needle about the wages situation and the crisis down Tynecastle.

Here's a chance to speak to a guy who clearly knows football and is willing to talk shop. Instead there were hints of the crisis here and there.

On the park, there is very little hint of any of the turbulence behind the scenes. Sergio deserves recognition for that. Also thought his answer to the question about Hibs/Hearts rivality was mature and considered.

He's a class act. Both he and Fenlon will be proved what can be achieved if clubs stop hiring from the Scottish managerial merry-go-round and bring in a fresh perspective.
:agree: A surprisingly level-headed and mature individual (how did he ever agree to work at the PBS?) who comes across as a shrewd man-manager. Thought the bit about players moaning about travelling to Inverness could have been lifted directly from East Mains. :greengrin

And his command of English is far, far superior to my phrase-book Portuguese. So I thought he communicated very well under the circumstances.

Disappointed. I was wanting to rant at him on TV and couldn't find a justifiable reason to do so. :greengrin

ALF TUPPER
16-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Yeah ........... agree! Though the jambo manager came across very well. Obvioulsy the wrong appointment and wont last IMO :greengrin

( ps.......Still smiling from my wee visit to Dunfermline on Saturday - even bought the papers on Sunday !)

Glory Glory

Lago
16-01-2012, 12:59 PM

Rubbish,
1) wasn't a rant at all, very controlled
2) his comments about not hating anyone or club was correct, as he explained its a GAME not war.

Lucius Apuleius
16-01-2012, 01:01 PM
He impressed me. I was also ready for a rant at him but could find nothing substantial enough to get my knickers in a twist.

SaulGoodman
16-01-2012, 04:35 PM
He impressed me. I was also ready for a rant at him but could find nothing substantial enough to get my knickers in a twist.

His tie didn't go well with his suit, he sat too far back in his seat and didn't make enough eye contact. Jambo fud.

:greengrin

Mon Dieu4
16-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Thought he came over well and seems like a decent bloke, however he still has no eyebrows and I dont like that one bit!!! :agree:

Sir David Gray
16-01-2012, 10:38 PM

Wouldn't necessarily disagree with that. There are a lot of Scottish people employed on television and radio who should be nowhere near a media related job as they are completely illiterate.

However, that wasn't really my point.

WTF that's it then, each and every foreign manager or player who are asked to be interviewed after a game should really consider whether their English is fluent enough before they accept!

Not quite the same thing.

You're talking about a manager/player conducting a 2 minute post match interview on radio/TV and I'm talking about someone being the main guest on the country's highlights show for 45 minutes or whatever it was.

Slight difference there, I would suggest.

Dear oh dear. That is embarrassing. "Foreigners"?! What world are you living in? An imaginary Daily Mail-inspired paradise?

GG

I'm sorry, I take it "foreigner" is another word that the political correctness gang have decided to ban from public usage?

for·eign·er (fôr-nr, fr-)
n.
1. One who is from a foreign country or place.

Not too sure how anyone can seriously have a problem with someone from Portugal being described as a "foreigner"! It actually beggars belief!

Which word is now the acceptable phrase to use here? It's just that these things change so often that I can't keep up and I really want to make sure that I get it right in the future! :aok:

That's my holiday to Spain goosed though, unless the entire Spanish language is "Dos Coca-Colas".

HOLIDAY to Spain
WORKING in Britain

Spot the difference.

I know you're not agreeing with me but thanks for your reply. It was well constructed, clearly thought out and you debated the points in a mature and adult manner. :agree:

Viva_Palmeiras
16-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Any need for that at all?

I was under the impression that personal abuse was frowned upon on here? :dunno:

By all means debate the subject but without coming out with stuff like that. :bitchy:

Wouldn't necessarily disagree with that. There are a lot of Scottish people employed on television and radio who should be nowhere near a media related job as they are completely illiterate.

However, that wasn't really my point.

Not quite the same thing.

You're talking about a manager/player conducting a 2 minute post match interview on radio/TV and I'm talking about someone being the main guest on the country's highlights show for 45 minutes or whatever it was.

Slight difference there, I would suggest.

I'm sorry, I take it "foreigner" is another word that the political correctness gang have decided to ban from public usage?

n.

Not too sure how anyone can seriously have a problem with someone from Portugal being described as a "foreigner"! It actually beggars belief!

Which word is now the acceptable phrase to use here? It's just that these things change so often that I can't keep up and I really want to make sure that I get it right in the future! :aok:

HOLIDAY to Spain
WORKING in Britain

Spot the difference.

I know you're not agreeing with me but thanks for your reply. It was well constructed, clearly thought out and you debated the points in a mature and adult manner. :agree:

I believe the phrase is quando voce esta dentro na borracha, para escavar ;)
Bit since I done speak fluent Portuguese I probably got the tenses wrong ;)

I'm glad that with budget travel, the Internet, communications the worlds become a smaller place. Opens minds hopefully. Afterall where would british comedy be without a few mispronounced worlds?

SRHibs
17-01-2012, 12:21 AM

Sorry for the pedantry, but I was instructed not to say 'por favor' when purchasing things in Spain. Not sure if it is correct to do so though. :wink:

lapsedhibee
17-01-2012, 01:52 AM

n.

Which word is now the acceptable phrase to use here? It's just that these things change so often that I can't keep up and I really want to make sure that I get it right in the future!

Refugee.

Beefster
17-01-2012, 06:40 AM
HOLIDAY to Spain
WORKING in Britain

Spot the difference.

Phew, my holiday to Spain is still on.

We still shouldn't let those Johnny Foreigner types into Scotland if they can't speak perfect English. Even if they're let in, let's deport them if they make any mistakes whilst speaking.

Incidentally, from personal experience I know that there are some foreign academics in Scotland, making huge contributions to their area of research, who sometimes make a gramatical, pronunciation and/or tense error whilst lecturing/speaking. Let's ship the *******s out before they do some real damage.

Jack
17-01-2012, 06:43 AM
Sorry for the pedantry, but I was instructed not to say 'por favor' when purchasing things in Spain. Not sure if it is correct to do so though. :wink:

Well I do it, as much out of habit I suppose and it's always well received. Johnny Foreigner does like it when you make a bit of effort. :-)

I don't think it's wrong, just uncommon - almost like manners have become in this country :-(

hibbymac
17-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Phew, my holiday to Spain is still on.

We still shouldn't let those Johnny Foreigner types into Scotland if they can't speak perfect English. Even if they're let in, let's deport them if they make any mistakes whilst speaking.

Incidentally, from personal experience I know that there are some foreign academics in Scotland, making huge contributions to their area of research, who sometimes make a gramatical, pronunciation and/or tense error whilst lecturing/speaking. Let's ship the *******s out before they do some real damage.

:agree: Get these kinds out, more jobs (especially on the Telly) for people who can speak flewant England. :wink:

The Green Goblin
20-01-2012, 02:54 AM

n.

Thank you. I would have replied sooner, but have been out of internet range for the last few days.

Tell me, how do people who are 2nd/3rd generation and of mixed nationality/ethnicity/parentage fit in to your perfect definition? e.g. Is someone born in Scotland to Chinese parents, but who grows up in Scotland and speaks flawed English with a Scottish accent a 'foreigner'? hmmmm.

Who exactly are the "political correctness gang"? And none of this "beggars belief". Please. What a lot of over the top nonsense. You have clearly misrepresented my point, and why I didn't care for what you wrote, but I suspect you know that full well. However, I will be happy to clarify it now.

There's nothing wrong with the word "foreigner" itself, obviously, but as with many words, how you choose to use it and the context of it can make the word carry slightly different meanings. In this case, you wrote "I've got no problems at all with foreigners being on television, as long as their command of the English language is completely fluent..."

Apart from your definition of the word being deeply flawed and unusable, as I started with, it's also all about what your sentence implies rather than actually says. Why, for example, would you have problems with foreigners being on television? Your sentence, and use of the word, suggests, or more specifically, gives away the fact that you believe that certain reasons might or do exist for foreigners on tv being a problem in some way. Might it be because they are foreigners?

On a basic level, what you wrote also betrays your "them and us" attitude, with "them" needing to prove their worth compared to "us", e.g. that they are only acceptable if they speak "completely fluent" English..

There's more, but that's the main bit of it.

In our very multicultural society, I really find this idea, this way of thinking that we still live in a world where there's "us" and "foreigners" really archaic and frankly, obsolete. Scotland is full of many different nationalities, and many families, as I said, have given birth to a 2nd, 3rd and more generation of people who are part of our society and who can't be said to have a clear single nationality that someone like you can label them with or put them in the right little box. I can understand why there being shades of gray here gives you problems, with your traditionally inflexible and black and white view of many things, but for your information, Scotland is not full of Scots, and France does not contain only French people. The world isn't like that; it's all a great big messy mix-up.

As I said on another thread recently, I really just wish people would stop feeling the need to evaluate others based on nationality/ethnicity/religion and just see people as people full stop. That, I suppose, is ultimately the problem I have with the implication and underlying meaning in what you wrote and your use of the word.

GG