GoC's penalty claim was a stone waller.

Duffys13
15-01-2012, 06:13 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/16568634.stm

Penalty for me.

bingo70
15-01-2012, 06:14 PM

There was no need for him to chuck himself down the way he did though, if he hadn't put his arms in the air and dived forward a couple of yards he might have got it it but all the theatrics made it look like a dive so i can see why the ref never gave it.

Golden Bear
15-01-2012, 06:16 PM
There was no need for him to chuck himself down the way he did though, if he hadn't put his arms in the air and dived forward a couple of yards he might have got it it but all the theatrics made it look like a dive so i can see why the ref never gave it.

:agree:

yorkshire hib
15-01-2012, 06:17 PM
great turn out from hibs fans

cabbageandribs1875
15-01-2012, 06:17 PM
just as i thought at the time, dunfy 1st goal should have been the keepers ball

o'connor should have got the penalty :agree:

Zorro
15-01-2012, 06:18 PM

just watched it, and I totally agree. You could argue he shouldn't have hit the deck so dramatically, but that is not the point IMO. A definite penalty, the defender left his leg in there.

mim
15-01-2012, 06:28 PM

Added to which, he deliberately left his leg in, in the hope of contact.

nonshinyfinish
15-01-2012, 06:30 PM

I think referees should be able to give the foul AND book the player in situations like this. O'Connor was clearly fouled, but he was also clearly guilty of simulation...penalty for Hibs, booking for Garry. :dunno:

pentlando
15-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Am i right in thinking you can still be guilty of simulation even if you are fouled for a penalty? Looks like that's what happens with O'Connor, there is contact on almost all the occasions but for some reason he feels the need to over egg it and ends up looking like he's actually dived.

derek0762
15-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Canae watch them on iPhone! Argh :-(

PaulSmith
15-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Am i right in thinking you can still be guilty of simulation even if you are fouled for a penalty? Looks like that's what happens with O'Connor, there is contact on almost all the occasions but for some reason he feels the need to over egg it and ends up looking like he's actually dived.

Strange as it may sounds any over exaggeration of minimal contact can see the offender getting a yellow and a free kick going the other way.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Would wonder if O'Connor will get any of thr 50/50 shouts for the rest of the season. That is of course dependant on whether he stays in a Hibs jersey.

nonshinyfinish
15-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Would wonder if O'Connor will get any of thr 50/50 shouts for the rest of the season. That is of course dependant on whether he stays in a Hibs jersey.

If he dons a blue jersey then he'll be getting 10/90 shouts...

Hibs Class
15-01-2012, 07:07 PM

No. Simulation is an offence. Exaggeration is not an offence.

Strange as it may sounds any over exaggeration of minimal contact can see the offender getting a yellow and a free kick going the other way.

Agree that's what happens at times but it isn't right. I do think GOC exaggerates and it doesn't do him/us any favours, but that doesn't excuse referees' incompetence.

Sas_The_Hibby
15-01-2012, 07:14 PM
You couldn't get any more of a stonewaller, IMO.

Referees should be able to explain themselves after a game - in this case he'd be able to say either "no, it wasn't a penalty", in which case we'd know for definite that he's a prat, or "yes it was a penalty but I'm sorry I made a mistake", in which case all you could say was 'fair dos'. Not allowing refs to say anything just brings the Scottish game further into disrepute.

weonlywon6-2
15-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Penalty for me.

did someone shoot oconnor from the stand as he went down a bit like john wayne in one of his classic films :cb

greenlex
15-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Stonewaller.:grr: theatrical or not.

SneakersO'Toole
A couple of things,

- Although he had a couple of decent saves, Brown will never be answer in a goals. At fault for the first goal (along with Hart) and nearly conceded a 2nd with the fumbled save.

- Booth did fantasically well for our 2nd goal. He really is a threat going forward. Hopefully this is a sign of him coming back to his best.

- O'Connor incident was a stonewaller.

- For someone who hadn't played in over a month and only had 2 training sessions last week, Osbourne's drive and energy was exemplary yesterday.

Sas_The_Hibby
I think referees should be able to give the foul AND book the player in situations like this. O'Connor was clearly fouled, but he was also clearly guilty of simulation...penalty for Hibs, booking for Garry. :dunno:

Unfortunately, most referees, and a lot of pundits and fans think you either have to give a penalty or a booking for simulation. You could, of course, give neither but that's too subtle for most officials.

Sas_The_Hibby
15-01-2012, 07:20 PM

As I've said on another thread, defenders now know they can foul O'Connor in the box anytime they like. Not only will they not give away a penalty, they'll also get the bonus of O'Connor getting a card (a red one if they foul him twice!).

I just think the level of refereeing (and assistant refereeing) in Scotland is extremely poor, with no signs of improvement.

brog
15-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Some random thoughts on highlights.
1. GOC definitely a pen, ok he possibly over exaggerated a tad but that could be result of having to convince our crap refs. A ridiculous booking!
2. Conceded from 2 set pieces again, & left Hardie in yards of space for another, we must be worst team in league for this.
3. Mark Brown is not good enough. Never even left his line for a header in 6 yard box for 1st & almost fumbled them an equaliser at the death.
4. Michael Hart played a part in 1 of our goals,( also made one last week ) & cleared one off the line, not bad for a dumpling!
5. The bit where Osbourne strode forward was almost Stantonesque, or at least McGinlayish!!
6. Great support & result!"!

PatHead
15-01-2012, 07:23 PM
How come their forward (Barrowman?) wasn't booked for diving when he claimed he was pushed?

squire
15-01-2012, 07:29 PM
What you don't see from the highlights is for the winning goal we had been in possession for 10-15 passes probing for an opening. Proper keep ball possession with a purpose and we got our reward for a bit of patience

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Have to say delighted with the 3 points but our defending at both goals was a disgrace, also Smith in goals needs to be sorted.

brog
15-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Have to say delighted with the 3 points but our defending at both goals was a disgrace, also Smith in goals needs to be sorted.

I know he played like Smith but it was Brown & he's bad enough. I'm now going to have nightmares about the 6-6 game again!!

grunt
15-01-2012, 07:33 PM
4. Michael Hart played a part in 1 of our goals...
As did Stevenson, I think, for two of the goals.

PaulSmith
15-01-2012, 07:58 PM
If a pen had been awarded would the SFA compliance officer look at the incident again offer Hibs a ban for O'Connor.

Shrekko
15-01-2012, 08:03 PM
If he dons a blue jersey then he'll be getting 10/90 shouts...

...and the 16/90 one's!

Definite penalty- ref trying to be way to clever, and not for the first time.

Hawkhill1875
15-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Brilliant awareness of Griffith's run from Osbourne for the first goal.

Liam_Hibs
15-01-2012, 08:09 PM

Agreed. Shows how desperately we need a commanding central defender!

None the less.. Delighted with 3 points! :thumbsup:

ancient hibee
15-01-2012, 08:10 PM
did someone shoot oconnor from the stand as he went down a bit like john wayne in one of his classic films :cb

Big John seldom went down.

HibbyAndy
15-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Dress it up anyway you want, Thats a stick on penalty.

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-01-2012, 08:29 PM
I know he played like Smith but it was Brown & he's bad enough. I'm now going to have nightmares about the 6-6 game again!!

Oops...too many flagons of ale today....:greengrin

truehibernian
15-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Asides the win, and three goals, I was again impressed by Doyle's movement and little passages of link up play.

Above all though, by far the best thing about yesterday was the unity. How good is it to see the players fight, all the coaches kick every ball and get their fists pumping, and the fans turning out in fantastic numbers and in positive mood. That's what we.should take into the next game.

Sammy7nil
15-01-2012, 08:33 PM
It may have been a pen.

But

Gary went down in instalments and threw his arms out like Tom Daley. Could he have stayed on his feet ?

I can see why the ref booked him and I think if that was a Pars player all of us at the game would have been shouting a diving ****

Gatecrasher
15-01-2012, 08:39 PM
i felt like Garry left his leg in and played for the Pen.

Craig_in_Prague
15-01-2012, 08:42 PM
cant get bbc so was watching SSN most of the day, earlier on anyway.. and also some of goals on sunday...but missed the spl games.. so still not seen any of the goals other than our winning goal.... peed off.

nonshinyfinish
15-01-2012, 08:43 PM
i felt like Garry left his leg in and played for the Pen.

Yes, but while he was doing that, the defender fouled him.

LancashireHibby
15-01-2012, 08:51 PM
No need for GO'C to go down in a heap like he did - if anything he could have quite easily stayed on his feet and he'd have had a great chance in front of goal. Regardless of whether he's a 'marked' man in terms of the referee, he's got to stop exaggerating challenges like that or the bookings will keep coming.

Great finish for his goal by the way and some nifty footwork from Griffiths for the third as well.

Still work to be done at the back but a good starting point, same again next week please :aok:

hibsbollah
15-01-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm staggered noone has mentioned the second goal:confused:

One of the best team goals ive seen us score for a while. Four movements, each one perfectly executed...Clever throw out by Brown over Booths shoulder, sensational surging box-to-box run by Booth and nice pass to Leigh, Leigh nice lay off to O'Connor, O'Connor bang into top corner.

:top marks

Twiglet
15-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Who's the other commentator on Hibs TV with Martin Clancy? He went mental when O'Connor didn't get the penalty and was booked.

Fantic
15-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Sportscene on BBC2 now and Sergios on it!

Lofarl
15-01-2012, 10:22 PM
To be fair the guy has to pick up a few bucks somewhere. Probably gets a wee munch too.

joe breezy
15-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Cannae believe the BBC still use flash, ah cannae see as just have an iPhone

monktonharp
15-01-2012, 10:51 PM
i felt like Garry left his leg in and played for the Pen.aye, and I'd dae the same if a defender had one o' his wrapped roond mine!:rolleyes:

CallumLaidlaw
15-01-2012, 11:02 PM
The defender left his leg out for so long it was unreal. Garry would have literally had to hurdle it to avoid it.

basehibby
15-01-2012, 11:17 PM
If a pen had been awarded would the SFA compliance officer look at the incident again offer Hibs a ban for O'Connor.

No - it was a much clearer penalty than the one against St Js - defender clearly kicks his leg out, misses the ball and catches both GOC's feet as he tries to follow it. O'Connor sticks his hand up to claim as soon as there's contact thus giving the rise to the appearance of a superman style dive. So he was probably looking to draw a foul and succeeded - this is not a bad thing - it's called SKILL!!!

Stonewaller and unbelieveably pish poor decision.

Spike Mandela
15-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Some finish for O'Connor's goal. Surely nobody can be of the opinion anymore that he isn't worth holding on to.

lapsedhibee
16-01-2012, 12:24 AM
Brilliant awareness of Griffith's run from Osbourne for the first goal.

Shirley Ozzy was coming back from an offside position - so had no choice but to leave it, whether or not Leigh was making a run? :dunno:

The defender left his leg out for so long it was unreal. Garry would have literally had to hurdle it to avoid it.

Why didn't he hurdle it, have a clear shot at goal, put us 4-2 up and game over? :dunno: Wasn't so many years ago that footballers at all levels did this as a matter of routine. All this 'playing for penalties' all the time, and 'there was contact so he was entitled to go down' mentality is a teensy bit pathetic imo. :tin hat:

basehibby
16-01-2012, 01:02 AM
Shirley Ozzy was coming back from an offside position - so had no choice but to leave it, whether or not Leigh was making a run? :dunno:

Why didn't he hurdle it, have a clear shot at goal, put us 4-2 up and game over? :dunno: Wasn't so many years ago that footballers at all levels did this as a matter of routine. All this 'playing for penalties' all the time, and 'there was contact so he was entitled to go down' mentality is a teensy bit pathetic imo. :tin hat:

Have another look and ask yourself if that was a real possibility. He may have been able to stumble on a bit if he'd really tried, but was clearly impeded and may not have gotten to the ball first.

basehibby
16-01-2012, 01:05 AM
Some finish for O'Connor's goal. Surely nobody can be of the opinion anymore that he isn't worth holding on to.

:agree: He's a talismanic figure for us and is building up a good understanding with Griffiths - well worth hanging onto him - he'll score goals and we wouldn't get much for him anyway with his contract being up in the summer.

lapsedhibee
16-01-2012, 06:26 AM
Have another look and ask yourself if that was a real possibility. He may have been able to stumble on a bit if he'd really tried, but was clearly impeded and may not have gotten to the ball first.

Have had plenty looks and imo the main difficulty in Gaz getting past the Dunfy boy is not where the Dunfy boy puts his left leg, but where Gaz puts his left leg. And Gaz places his left leg in the position not most likely to get past the boy, but in the position most likely to get a pen.

Not saying definitively that it wasn't a pen - it probably was - just observing that modern fitballers play to get pens, rather than get past defenders, in the box. Just as Gaz did against St Johnstone.

Gatecrasher
16-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Yes, but while he was doing that, the defender fouled him.
I didn't say it wasn't a foul :wink:

aye, and I'd dae the same if a defender had one o' his wrapped roond mine!:rolleyes:

Danderhall Hibs
16-01-2012, 07:36 AM

I know what you're saying, however the referees have brought this on themselves. If you don't fall down they don't give the free-kick/penalty so this encourages players to
fall over. This then makes everyone think the fall is exaggerated. It also gives some sort of validation to the pundits view of “he’s been touched so he’s entitled to go down”

I reckon if refs just gave a foul/penalty when it was one rather than waiting for someone to fall over we’d see less “diving” or “going down easily”.

Beefster
16-01-2012, 08:00 AM
We need to stop writing off goalkeepers because they make a mistake or two. Give them a chance to get a run of games and stop looking for a scapegoat, even when we win a game.

It's a stretch to blame Brown for the first goal IMO. Hart should have done better and, from the highlights, it looks like Hanlon doesn't track the scorer's run either. Brown had about 10 players running at him - if he had come out, been stopped from getting to the ball because he ran into a couple of players and they had still scored, he's have been slaughtered (anyway).

IWasThere2016
16-01-2012, 09:06 AM

One of the best team goals ive seen us score for a while. Four movements, each one perfectly executed...Clever throw out by Brown over Booths shoulder, sensational surging box-to-box run by Booth and nice pass to Leigh, Leigh nice lay off to O'Connor, O'Connor bang into top corner.

:agree: He's a talismanic figure for us and is building up a good understanding with Griffiths - well worth hanging onto him - he'll score goals and we wouldn't get much for him anyway with his contract being up in the summer.

We need to stop writing off goalkeepers because they make a mistake or two. Give them a chance to get a run of games and stop looking for a scapegoat, even when we win a game.

It's a stretch to blame Brown for the first goal IMO. Hart should have done better and, from the highlights, it looks like Hanlon doesn't track the scorer's run either. Brown had about 10 players running at him - if he had come out, been stopped from getting to the ball because he ran into a couple of players and they had still scored, he's have been slaughtered (anyway).

Hart is murder. He repeatedly makes no attempt to challenge from dead balls into the box. Pure pish.

Newry Hibs
16-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Big John seldom went down.

My wife must be John Wayne then.

Wilson
16-01-2012, 09:21 AM
My wife must be John Wayne then.

Naw.

Newry Hibs
16-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Naw.

Dammit. I knew she was going to Falkirk a bit too much. Walked a bit like John Wayne when she came back as well.

Wilson
16-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Dammit. I knew she was going to Falkirk a bit too much. Walked a bit like John Wayne when she came back as well.

:tee hee: :aok:

brog
16-01-2012, 10:03 AM

Brown's had plenty of chances IMO. He's ( mostly ) a decent shotstopper but he has no command of his area. He has to accept some responsibility for the first goal but the other 2 who were culpable were Stephens & Hanlon. The former was yards out of position & as you say the latter didn't track.
Kudos to Stephens for his late clearance after Brown's fumble. If he hadn't done so & Pars had equalised then Brown would certainly have been slaughtered.

brog
16-01-2012, 10:08 AM

Agreed!! Also no one has mentioned Spoony's contribution winning the ball in the air for the 1st goal. A month ago he wouldn't have got there! On the down side, Booth, who I greatly admire, sclaffed the ball for their equaliser & Lewis misheaded for their last chance. It's the little things that make the difference, fight & self belief can work wonders.

JimBHibees
16-01-2012, 10:24 AM

I think you also need to look at Stephen's position for the first goal it appears he is picking up no-one and doesnt react when the ball was played, very poor defending. He did come onto a very good game in the second half when he started attacking the ball in the air much more. I think alot of goalie's would have come out for that free kick it was pretty straight and headed about 5 yards out.

PeeJay
16-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Having looked at the highlights it seems the communication problems in the back line still haven't been sorted out - someone has to take responsibility, surely? Not sure we should blame Brown alone for the 1st goal and their 2nd goal shows how our defence falls to sleep and watches the ball, while at the near post the Dunfy player has an easy task to slot home...

Haven't been impressed by Griffiths, but (from the little I saw) he seemed to have a pretty good game, as did Osbourne...

O'Connor should have had the penalty IMO - a theatrical fall after being fouled however is not worthy of a yellow, better rehearsal perhaps...

Hibs7
16-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Schoolboy defending for both Dunf goals, though Osbourne was impeded going for the ball by a Dunf player when they scored their second, agree GOC did a bit of a dive but it was a penalty, if he had kept going he would have had a clear scoring opportunity.