PDA

View Full Version : Jim Goodwin ?

Pages : [1] 2

Niffy
15-01-2012, 08:58 AM
According to BBC gossip / Sunday mail ??

bingo70
15-01-2012, 09:05 AM
According to BBC gossip / Sunday mail ??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Goodwin

Don't know much about him as i never really notice opposition players when playing against us but a look at his wiki page isn't overly impressive, however going by lennons quote about him on his page makes him sound like the carachter we've been lacking.

"I always thought he was captain material and he's really grasped that opportunity. He leads by example on the pitch and off it too. You can tell by how well he's playing how much he's enjoying the responsibility. He really cares about the game and is so passionate and eager to learn"

Not a quote you could really use to describe many in our current squad.

DaveF
15-01-2012, 09:07 AM
He was the guy who had a spat with Palsson at ER a few games ago. Niggly, enforcer type in midfield who didn't do anything too fancy but was pretty effective from what I remember of him.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-01-2012, 09:07 AM
when they did us at ER he was outstanding. He reminded me of the way that Kevin McBride played when he was on his game.

hibsbollah
15-01-2012, 09:09 AM
That would be a great signing :agree: He's singlehandedly owned the midfield at ER in two recent performances I recall, leaving Pallson looking stupid and close to tears on one occasion. (not that difficult, I hear you cry, but all the same).

Could fill the mythical and legendary 'Matty Jack role'.

Spike Mandela
15-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Hopefully we are looking at creative midfielders and not more cluggers!

Golden Bear
15-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Jim Goodwin was Victor Palsson's "pal". They were forever at each others throat to try and prove who was the real hard man.

From what he lacked in skill he made up for in fitness and endeavour and might be the sort of character we need right now.

hibsbollah
15-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Hopefully we are looking at creative midfielders and not more cluggers!

Nothing wrong with a 'clugger' if he's a clugger with talent:greengrin
But we do need a creative type as well.

andy1875
15-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Would be a good signing altho as he is the St Mirren captain, sure they'd be looking for a decent transfer fee?

Good age, has SPL experience and takes no prisoners. Could go someway to protecting our extremely soft touch defence.

Make it happen Paddy!

bingo70
15-01-2012, 09:14 AM
What i would like about this signing is that he would be moving to us based on being a success at another club rather than being released cos he's not good enough elsewhere so he'd come to us with a bit confidence about him. IMO that was a flaw in calderwoods signing policy, almost everyone signed was deemed not good enough by another club, probably with the exception of Jimmy Scott so it's no wonder we never had any for of spirit in the side.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Is a clugger, mixture of a clogger and a mugger?

sundo1875
15-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Anyone got a link?

bingo70
15-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Anyone got a link?

Don't think its on the website and the bbc gossip column is just a one liner saying we're interested in him.

PeterboroHibee
15-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Id be very pleased with this signing. Our defence is obviously a problem but they dont get enough protection from midfield which makes things worse. He would sit there, protecting the defence, and let others play. Plus he seems like a bit of a headcase which we dont really have, too many soft players. Right age, could very well be captain, hope this is true.

3pm
15-01-2012, 09:37 AM
He'd be decent I think. Wouldn't mind his pal Paul McGowan as well but he's under contract for a while I think.

bingo70
15-01-2012, 09:41 AM
He'd be decent I think. Wouldn't mind his pal Paul McGowan as well but he's under contract for a while I think.

Am i right in saying Mcgowan is more of an attacking creative midfielder? If so then if Goodwin is as good as is being suggested then Mcgowan will unlikely to be the same player if he leaves.

All good attacking midfielders need a ball winner in there as well to give the ball to them and ease their defensive burden so hopefully if he does sign we could start to get even more from ozzie or start to get the best out of wotherspoon again.

Spike Mandela
15-01-2012, 09:48 AM

I may have invented a new word but it seems to describe Goodwin perfectly.:greengrin

Billy Whizz
He's more than a clugger. Takes the ball from goalie/defence and plays it through midfield. All our goals and best moves yesterday was when we played this way!

budgiemcb
A boy in my work is his cousin and he mentioned during the week we were in for him so defo a bit of truth in this.

500miles
15-01-2012, 09:51 AM
His only talent lies in being a thug. I really hope he isn't on his way.

GreenCastle
15-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Am i right in saying Mcgowan is more of an attacking creative midfielder? If so then if Goodwin is as good as is being suggested then Mcgowan will unlikely to be the same player if he leaves.

All good attacking midfielders need a ball winner in there as well to give the ball to them and ease their defensive burden so hopefully if he does sign we could start to get even more from ozzie or start to get the best out of wotherspoon again.

Was very impressed with Mcgowan and Goodwin recently when they were live on Sky against Rangers - great work rate and McGowan looked creative also - can't see Saints giving them up easily.

c31
15-01-2012, 09:53 AM
exactly what we need.....

hibbymark
15-01-2012, 09:54 AM
I really like Goodwin and posted this after the st.mirren game at easter rd. I think he is better than just a ball winner tbh. He strolled through the game

against us and does the simple things really well. He is old school in that he is one of these guys that wins the battle then plays football. I think he would

bring something different to the table. He has a wee nasty streak as well and could do the job for us that Ian Black does for Hearts.

Walter
15-01-2012, 09:54 AM
I would be very pleased with this. We need a 'boss' in midfield. And at centre half

whiskyhibby
15-01-2012, 10:01 AM
I remember at Easter Road him sitting in front of the back four and spraying passes around, not just a psycho nutter and just what we need IMHO

Andy74
15-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Goodwin is a fantastic character and a leader. Decent player too and I think takes penalties. He generally runs the games against us and he broke Palsson.

Him and Ozzy would be cracking partnership in midfield.

Dibben
15-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Goodwin is a fantastic character and a leader. Decent player too and I think takes penalties. He generally runs the games against us and he broke Palsson.

If we could fit Stephen Hughes in there too, we'd be looking good!

SMAXXA
15-01-2012, 10:07 AM
IMO wont happen, I dont think St Midden will let him go he is far to important to their current team to let him leave in january, possibly in the summer. Not overly fussed for him, agree he is a solid midfielder which may do a turn, just for some reason am no bothered about him. Dont get me wrong if he came I wouldnt be unhappy, just wouldnt be delighted either.

smurf
15-01-2012, 10:09 AM

I agree. He's much more than a guy who breaks up play. I heard Derek Ferguson rave about his passing abilities earlier on this season on the wireless.

PPZPOL
15-01-2012, 10:16 AM
A few folk have already posted this but thought I would add my tuppence worth. Having watched Goodwin I agree he is not just a "clugger" - his appearance makes people think that but he is decent on the ball and doesn't hide from taking it to his feet. Would be what we need but it could be rubbish rumour again.

greenlex
15-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Whatever happened to the St Mirren midfielder a lot of folk were wanting signed a couple or so years back. Was he American?

DaveF
15-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Whatever happened to the St Mirren midfielder a lot of folk were wanting signed a couple or so years back. Was he American?

I know who you mean but can't mind his name either :greengrin. He went to an english team IIRC.

Edit - Andy Dorman. Went to Palace i think?

edit, edit - Bristol Rovers as of Nov 11.

bingo70
15-01-2012, 10:23 AM

Andrew dorman or something like that was it not?

blackpoolhibs
15-01-2012, 10:24 AM
The perfect replacement for Stevenson, plays a similar game but bigger stronger and better.

greenlex
15-01-2012, 10:27 AM
I know who you mean but can't mind his name either :greengrin. He went to an english team IIRC.Edit - Andy Dorman. Went to Palace i think?edit, edit - Bristol Rovers as of Nov 11.That's him. I don't knw why I thought he was American.

HibsNutter
15-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Thank **** Pallson's away:greengrin

coco mc
15-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Exactly the type of player who would get stuck in against the yams.They would love to hate him also the type of player they will have to go for in the future.

H18sry
15-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Goodwin is out of contract at the end of the season and PF wants him now, and if he does not get him is trying to get him on a pre contract :agree:

Gala Foxes
15-01-2012, 10:59 AM
He is an aggressive, in your face, intimidating hard midfielder - exactly what we have been missing, probably since Matty Jack

He bossed the midfield in both the games at easter Road last season - and made a mug of Palssen in one of them to the extent he got subbed

I'd be happy with him coming on board to add bite to an, at far too many times, toothless midfield

Scouse Hibee
15-01-2012, 10:59 AM

You obviously haven't seem him play then!!!!!

JimBHibees
15-01-2012, 11:00 AM
That's him. I don't knw why I thought he was American.

I think he had a Canadian connection (parent or was born there) but could also play for Wales.

Goodwin is exactly what we need.

500miles
15-01-2012, 11:11 AM
You obviously haven't seem him play then!!!!!

I have. And finding space to look good against some of our midfield combinations doesn't make you a good player.
He is first and foremost a thug, and not the kind of player I want at my club.

bingo70
15-01-2012, 11:14 AM
I have. And finding space to look good against some of our midfield combinations doesn't make you a good player.

A thug is exactly what we need to stop getting bullied in games.

Our team is far too nice just now, thats one of the reasons we're so pish

stokesmessiah
15-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Re Andy Dorman

"Andrew "Andy" Dorman (born 1 May 1982, in Chester (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester)) is a Wales international (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales_national_football_team) footballer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football). Born in England of English parents, he grew up in Wales and represented the Wales schools team, eventually gaining full senior international recognition when FIFA amended its rules on eligibility. He has played professionally in the United States and Scotland, and is currently playing for Bristol Rovers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Rovers_F.C.) in the English League Two (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_League_Two), on loan from Championship (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_League_Championship) side Crystal Palace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Palace_F.C.)."

From Wiki.

I have to admit i was sure he was American too !

ginger_rice
15-01-2012, 11:16 AM
A thug is exactly what we need to stop getting bullied in games.

Our team is far too nice just now, thats one of the reasons we're so pish

:agree: and someone who is used to being in relegation dog fights too which is exactly what we need right now.

lucky
15-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Goodwin would be great signing big and strong and a wee bit nasty.

greenlex
15-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Re Andy Dorman

"Andrew "Andy" Dorman (born 1 May 1982, in Chester (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester)) is a Wales international (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales_national_football_team) footballer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football). Born in England of English parents, he grew up in Wales and represented the Wales schools team, eventually gaining full senior international recognition when FIFA amended its rules on eligibility. He has played professionally in the United States and Scotland, and is currently playing for Bristol Rovers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Rovers_F.C.) in the English League Two (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_League_Two), on loan from Championship (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_League_Championship) side Crystal Palace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Palace_F.C.)."

From Wiki.

I have to admit i was sure he was American too !

Thats it. He came through the Americam collegiate system. I'm not as daft as I think I am.:greengrin I can now sleep tonight.:aok: Thanks

blackpoolhibs
15-01-2012, 11:20 AM

You would have hated John McNamee back in the 60s, John Blackley would be another one, and Matty Jack too. Goodwin might like to put his foot in, but he can also play a bit. If he's signed and takes us on, i dont think you will complain too much. It takes all sorts to make a TEAM, we dont want it full of nice clean losers.

Scouse Hibee
15-01-2012, 11:22 AM

Okay fair enough I'll rephrase my comment then " You wouldn't know a player if you fell over one" :greengrin

Barney McGrew
15-01-2012, 11:31 AM
For a 'thug' he's managed to rack up a massive two red cards in his career of not far off 350 games, the last one coming in 2005. So if he is nasty, he's either not very good at it, or it's done in a controlled enough way that he stays within the rules.

He'll fit a role that we need filled, and comes with a good bit of experience. And he's from Ireland too, which I'm sure isn't a factor in Paddy's thinking at all :greengrin

SouthMoroccoStu
15-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Goodwin would be great signing big and strong and a wee bit nasty.

Agreed. Just what we need

Wotherspiniesta
15-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Would be a good replacement for Murray IMO

Joe
15-01-2012, 12:01 PM
The St Mirren fans seem to think highly of him http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/33099-jim-goodwin/

Has anyone actually read the sunday mail and seen this story?

PaulSmith
15-01-2012, 12:05 PM
I know it's repeating what Andy74 has said but a CM pairing of Goodwin and Osbourne looks strong.

If not Goodwin then I'd like to see us go for Arneson (sp) who's currently available on a Bosman from Aberdeen.

bingo70
15-01-2012, 12:09 PM
The St Mirren fans seem to think highly of him http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/33099-jim-goodwin/

Has anyone actually read the sunday mail and seen this story?

They thought Van Zanten was good though!

500miles
15-01-2012, 12:13 PM
......I cannae believe people seriously envisage Jim Goodwin as being good enough to take us to where we should be aiming - European football.

Dashing Bob S
15-01-2012, 12:13 PM
A few folk have already posted this but thought I would add my tuppence worth. Having watched Goodwin I agree he is not just a "clugger" - his appearance makes people think that but he is decent on the ball and doesn't hide from taking it to his feet. Would be what we need but it could be rubbish rumour again.

So you're trying to say that he's a 'clayer' - a combination of clugger (great word) and player?

R'Albin
15-01-2012, 12:18 PM
I know it's repeating what Andy74 has said but a CM pairing of Goodwin and Osbourne looks strong.

If not Goodwin then I'd like to see us go for Arneson (sp) who's currently available on a Bosman from Aberdeen.

Aranson is a good player, but could see him going to a bigger club sadly.

Never seen much of Goodwin to be honest, sounds good though from what others are saying!

SteveHFC
15-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Goodwin/Osbourne partnership in Midfield will do for me

greenlex
15-01-2012, 12:26 PM
So you're trying to say that he's a 'clayer' - a combination of clugger (great word) and player?
A Plugger surely?:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
15-01-2012, 12:29 PM
......I cannae believe people seriously envisage Jim Goodwin as being good enough to take us to where we should be aiming - European football.

We are a mile away from that, what if he helps us on the way, and is descarded after getting us into the top 6?

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-01-2012, 12:39 PM

what if he is a bully and a clugger???

silverhibee
15-01-2012, 12:40 PM
For a 'thug' he's managed to rack up a massive two red cards in his career of not far off 350 games, the last one coming in 2005. So if he is nasty, he's either not very good at it, or it's done in a controlled enough way that he stays within the rules.

He'll fit a role that we need filled, and comes with a good bit of experience. And he's from Ireland too, which I'm sure isn't a factor in Paddy's thinking at all :greengrin

like when he punched the Motherwell player in the stomach in front of the ref a couple of weeks ago, sure he got done by the compliance officer so he doesn't always keep it with in the rules, :greengrin.

Dont know if he would want to come to Hibs mind you, he seems to go a bit jelly when he is on the same pitch as Ian Murray. :cb

Tricla
15-01-2012, 12:45 PM

Right now we're aiming not to get relegated and JG would be a massive help.

One step at a time my friend.

PeterboroHibee
15-01-2012, 12:47 PM

Thats ridiculous given our current situation. Also, whats wrong with having a player like Goodwin in the middle of midfield? Our current midfield is one of the weakest in the league, cant protect the defence for **** and can be all over the place at times. A player like Goodwin is just what we need imo.

silverhibee
15-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Would be a good replacement for Murray IMO

It would have to be as he is s**t scared of Murray.

Dashing Bob S
15-01-2012, 12:57 PM
what if he is a bully and a clugger???

Ehm...a clully?

Haggis Hibby
15-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Jim Goodwin was Victor Palsson's "pal". They were forever at each others throat to try and prove who was the real hard man.

From what he lacked in skill he made up for in fitness and endeavour and might be the sort of character we need right now.

A John Rankin type player???? :greengrin

R'Albin
15-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Ehm...a clully?

Or a bugger?

--------
15-01-2012, 01:33 PM

I'd say so. Great new word, and exactly describes exactly the sort of player we need in the centre of the park.

You would have hated John McNamee back in the 60s, John Blackley would be another one, and Matty Jack too. Goodwin might like to put his foot in, but he can also play a bit. If he's signed and takes us on, i dont think you will complain too much. It takes all sorts to make a TEAM, we dont want it full of nice clean losers.

You express my thoughts exactly, BH. BBJ was the sort of defender other teams hated to play against. As was Sloop, as was Matty J. These were the sort of guys whose presence in the team made it clear that anyone trying to kick OUR guys would be firmly put in his place - on the treatment table, in the physio room, possibly in a plaster cast. Shades was another - perfectly prepared to play football as long as the other lot were too, but if they wanted to play rough, Shades, Big Bad John, Sloop and Matty were more than happy to oblige.

What if he is a bully and a clugger???

Better still. (See above.) :devil:

Houchy
15-01-2012, 02:16 PM
I really like Goodwin and posted this after the st.mirren game at easter rd. I think he is better than just a ball winner tbh. He strolled through the game

against us and does the simple things really well. He is old school in that he is one of these guys that wins the battle then plays football. I think he would

bring something different to the table. He has a wee nasty streak as well and could do the job for us that Ian Black does for Hearts.

Do our changing rooms need painting likes?:greengrin

brydekirk
15-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Would like this guy to sign, Goodwin & a decent CH will insure we are playing SPL football next year.

IWasThere2016
15-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Goodwin can play as well as bite.

Would do me - although I'd like to see a CH and creative player this window.

SneakersO'Toole
15-01-2012, 04:47 PM
He would fill the role for Hibs that Black is currently occupying for Hearts, rather expertly it must be said.

Wouldn't be surprised if Black was announced as player of the month for December.

thebakerboy
15-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Always liked Goodwin , one of the few opposition players I always notice. Think he is a good player with a nasty streak and is a leader , would be quite happy to have him in the team.

Brooster
15-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Haha. I was asked on friday what 2 spl players I would like hibs to sighn (within our budget of course). Goodwin was one of my answers.

Always liked Goodwin , one of the few opposition players I always notice. Think he is a good player with a nasty streak and is a leader , would be quite happy to have him in the team.

scoopyboy
15-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Haha. I was asked on friday what 2 spl players I would like hibs to sighn (within our budget of course). Goodwin was one of my answers.

You might as well tell us the other.

frazeHFC
15-01-2012, 05:30 PM

:agree:

Hate him, hope he is not coming to us.

Brooster
15-01-2012, 05:54 PM
The boy Hayes at ICT.

You might as well tell us the other.

scoopyboy
15-01-2012, 05:56 PM
The boy Hayes at ICT.

Good calls.

Would take both in a minute.

soupy
15-01-2012, 06:00 PM
That's him. I don't knw why I thought he was American.

Was he not playing in the Us, before he signed for the saints?

down-the-slope
15-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Agree with HB...the man for the Matty Jack role (would anyone call him just a Clogger :rolleyes:)

We have been crying out for lots of things in recent seasons

Ball winner on CM

Passer who can dictate pace of game

100% grafter who never know they are beaten

Leader ON the pitch

he could give us a bit of all of those and I can really see him being a BB type and probably a PF type.....worth a fee this month rather than waiting on a summer pre-contract

Dashing Bob S
15-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Agree with HB...the man for the Matty Jack role (would anyone call him just a Clogger :rolleyes:)

We have been crying out for lots of things in recent seasons

Ball winner on CM

Passer who can dictate pace of game

100% grafter who never know they are beaten

Leader ON the pitch

he could give us a bit of all of those and I can really see him being a BB type and probably a PF type.....worth a fee this month rather than waiting on a summer pre-contract

Can't see it happening. I fail to see the need for a combative box-to-box midfielder who can pick a pass, protect the defense and has a will to win. There's no place for such time wasters at Hibs. I'd rest easier if we scoured the treatment tables of England to find some guy who hasn't kicked a ball in two years.

Dashing Bob S
15-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Sorry DTS just realised I stole your very good post. This iPhone...I need a dolly secretary In a short skirt to sit on my lap and operate this technology as I dictate...

down-the-slope
15-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Can't see it happening. I fail to see the need for a combative box-to-box midfielder who can pick a pass, protect the defense and has a will to win. There's no place for such time wasters at Hibs. I'd rest easier if we scoured the treatment tables of England to find some guy who hasn't kicked a ball in two years.

Whoops me bad....of course you are correct we need another 21 year old who has yet to make it at a bigger club but has potential to go further than their current favorite plastic couch....and just need some tenderness

:na na:

Spike Mandela
15-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Ahem.................

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Clugger

Tempted to say even more appropriate:greengrin

Scouse Hibee
15-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Whoops me bad....of course you are correct we need another 21 year old who has yet to make it at a bigger club but has potential to go further than their current favorite plastic couch....and just need some tenderness

:na na:

Goodwin?

Tyler Durden
15-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Jim Goodwin is on a par with Paddy Cregg. Smacks of desperation that we'd be interested in this huddy.

Reading this thread, you'd think he was the next Roy Keane. All this "we're in a dog fight" stuff is nonsense. We're looking to win football games, we need players who can pass and create.

Goodwin is p*sh.

monktonharp
15-01-2012, 09:04 PM
His only talent lies in being a thug. I really hope he isn't on his way.ah well , we beg to differ. I think we need a talented thug in there!

R'Albin
15-01-2012, 09:36 PM
http://www.hibernian-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/hibs_bid_for_st_mirren_hardman_jim_goodwin_723265/index.shtml

It has been revealed today that Hibs have made an offer for St Mirren midfielder Jim Goodwin.
Hibees boss Pat Fenlon contacted Buddies boss and former Hibs midfielder Danny Lennon last week and made an offer.
So far it’s not been revealed if that offer for the 30-year-old midfield hard man has been accepted or not.
If Hibs fail to land the player in January for a fee, it’s thought they will approach the former Celtic (http://www.celtic-mad.co.uk/) youth and offer him a pre-contract agreement, as he is out-of-contract in the summer.
Goodwin has been a revelation since joining St Mirren from Hamilton Accies last January, as has been made club captain at the Paisley club.
The former Stockport County (http://www.stockportcounty-mad.co.uk/), Scunthorpe United (http://www.scunthorpeunited-mad.co.uk/), Oldham Athletic (http://www.oldhamathletic-mad.co.uk/) and Huddersfield Town (http://www.huddersfieldtown-mad.co.uk/) player can play midfield, right back and in the centre of defence, which should appeal to Fenlon, as he looks to bolster his squad at Easter Road.
Goodwin has been capped ay U16, U21, B and full international for the Republic of Ireland, earning his only full cap against Finland in Helsinki.

Haven't really found Hibsmad to be to reliable in the past, imagine this is just stolen of other sites but anyway, make of it what you will..

EasterRoad4Ever
15-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Palsson gave him a good game in the first match up, then Goodwin owned him. More than anything Fenlon needs to build a SPINE in the team and I can see Goodwin being part of that. With a decent Keeper, CH/holding MF and CF we'll have a structure that will allow others to play. Maybe then the like of Sproule, Galbraith and other flair players can show their stuff. At the moment, they are all being asked to graft which puts us on the back foot from the start.

High time Hibs had a few hard men in the team (midfield) and stopped being the soft touch of the SPL.

KiddA
15-01-2012, 10:49 PM
He would be a great signing for Hibs and just what we need. He is solid and a good leader.

He is pretty hard in the tackle too by the looks of things http://www.football365.com/news/8652/7086124/SEVERIN-HAS-LEG-BREAK-OP-REPORT

NOLA
16-01-2012, 01:34 AM
exactly the type of player we need in the team, and have been now for some time, get him in Pat.

Tricla
16-01-2012, 05:06 AM
So he's been capped by ROI.

Can't be too bad then.

Stevie Reid
16-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Very much hope that we get him, he's the type of player and character that we need right now and going forward.

down-the-slope
16-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Goodwin?

Wooosh........:greengrin

SMAXXA
16-01-2012, 10:11 AM
I wonder how much is actually in this, aside from him playing in the SPL, think he is out of contract in the summer and owwww hes Irish :greengrin, seem to be getting linked with every plausable Irish player out there just now.

Scouse Hibee
16-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Wooosh........:greengrin

Ahaha

Dashing Bob S
16-01-2012, 12:17 PM
I think we need two midfielders and two defenders. If these signings were made (assuming decent players) then we'd be top four in a very poor league.

We are not a good team at the moment but this is only because we can't defend set pieces and our midfield do not protect the defense. If we learn those basics we will rise exponentially as we are gifting average teams goals and games.

Goodwin would be an excellent signing. Certainly not the complete answer, but a decent step in the right direction. If I were PF I'd be prioritizing signing him or a player in his mould.

Jack
16-01-2012, 12:19 PM
That would be a great signing :agree: He's singlehandedly owned the midfield at ER in two recent performances I recall, leaving Pallson looking stupid and close to tears on one occasion. (not that difficult, I hear you cry, but all the same).

Could fill the mythical and legendary 'Matty Jack role'.

Palsson gave him a good game in the first match up, then Goodwin owned him. More than anything Fenlon needs to build a SPINE in the team and I can see Goodwin being part of that. With a decent Keeper, CH/holding MF and CF we'll have a structure that will allow others to play. Maybe then the like of Sproule, Galbraith and other flair players can show their stuff. At the moment, they are all being asked to graft which puts us on the back foot from the start.

High time Hibs had a few hard men in the team (midfield) and stopped being the soft touch of the SPL.

IMO that was the end for VP. He was never the same player, in any game, after that.

Dashing Bob S
16-01-2012, 12:30 PM
IMO that was the end for VP. He was never the same player, in any game, after that.

Sadly his departure ends my dream of a stylish clothing line of Victor Palsson shirts and possible calf-skinned bomber jackets.

The Jim Goodwin range doesn't have the same appeal.

Hibbyradge
16-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Sadly his departure ends my dream of a stylish clothing line of Victor Palsson shirts and possible calf-skinned bomber jackets.

The Jim Goodwin range doesn't have the same appeal.

I must disagree.

Jim Goodwin clothing has a ring to it.

That range would appeal to the more urban minded amongst the support.

Superdry look out. :agree:

SteveHFC
16-01-2012, 11:11 PM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4065703/Its-Good-not-to-get-call-for-Jim.html

monktonharp
16-01-2012, 11:37 PM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4065703/Its-Good-not-to-get-call-for-Jim.html a fair comment from wee Danny, but is he not just trying to open the bidding up, beleiving that he's about to loose a good player?

SouthMoroccoStu
17-01-2012, 06:07 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4065703/Its-Good-not-to-get-call-for-Jim.html

Hmmm, so there could be some legs to this rumour.

Happy if true.

Personally I'm very pleased with some of the names were being linked with.

Higher quality and experienced

bingo70
17-01-2012, 08:07 AM

"Pat tried to get me on Friday and I picked up his message on Saturday. I don't know what he wants to speak to me about — no doubt I will speak to him."

Is it just me that thinks that's pretty rude and unprofessional of Lennon? First of all not calling him back and then announcing it to the journalist about a private phone call Fenlon made to him, if Lennon never had time to call PF back he shouldn't be telling the journalist about it IMO.

bawheid
17-01-2012, 09:17 AM
"Pat tried to get me on Friday and I picked up his message on Saturday. I don't know what he wants to speak to me about — no doubt I will speak to him."

Is it just me that thinks that's pretty rude and unprofessional of Lennon? First of all not calling him back and then announcing it to the journalist about a private phone call Fenlon made to him, if Lennon never had time to call PF back he shouldn't be telling the journalist about it IMO.

Reminds me of when Petrie took the phone off the hook on transfer deadline day when Bolton were interested in Brown and Thomson. Sam Allardyce wasn't too happy at all IIRC!

Lennon's probably just trying to generate a bit of interest in his player, who he's probably resigned to losing. Helps if folk know that Hibs are sniffing about.

silverhibee
17-01-2012, 10:10 AM

ME ME ME, if were in for a goalie we could get that plukey faced guy from Sunderland, i heard he has a treatment table with him 7 days a week and it seems like he has not kicked a ball for a couple of years. :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
17-01-2012, 10:39 AM
ME ME ME, if were in for a goalie we could get that plukey faced guy from Sunderland, i heard he has a treatment table with him 7 days a week and it seems likehe has not kicked a ball for a couple of years. :greengrin

the plukeoid yamboid is only a couple of appearances away from triggering a quite substantial fee to the yamboids from sunderland if he plays, i'd rather he remained on the treatment table, at least until the chief yamboid gimp romanov leaves the gorgski circus :wink:

RickyS
19-01-2012, 10:26 AM
according to todays sun he is close to signing a pre-contract and has told lennon he wants to go

JimBHibees
19-01-2012, 10:44 AM
according to todays sun he is close to signing a pre-contract and has told lennon he wants to go

Sounds promising would rather he just signed it than saying he is close to signing it. If he does will be interesting to see how keen or otherwise Saints would be to him leaving now. Imagine there will be a fair amount of brinkmanship in next couple of weeks if he does sign a pre-contract.

SMAXXA
19-01-2012, 10:54 AM

Pre-Contract with Hibs or does it just say pre-contract. Sorry not seen it and just checking.

RickyS
19-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Pre-Contract with Hibs or does it just say pre-contract. Sorry not seen it and just checking.

yeah they said it was with us, also said they had outbid utd for dougie imrie

Col2
19-01-2012, 11:29 AM

Says with Hibs. Would be surprised if we were happy to wait until sunmer. He is 30 years old.

killie-hibby
19-01-2012, 11:31 AM

Houston on radio disclosed they had offered Hamilton £25000. St.Mirren were tuned in and made a slightly higher bid. Could have been as little as a fiver.

scoopyboy
19-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Says with Hibs. Would be surprised if we were happy to wait until sunmer. He is 30 years old.

If we were to wait until the summer he would be.................................. 30 years old. :greengrin

I think if he was to sign a pre now, the next step would be to try a token fee before 31st January.

SMAXXA
19-01-2012, 11:38 AM

Thanks mate. As for Imrie I've always liked DI thoguth he was a busy player and a handfull and could change a game. Would pin all my hopes on him but I wouldnt be raging if Hibs signed him so think its a good bit of business for the Saints. Plus £25k+ is nowt really.

Would be surprised if Hibs waited until the summer for JG though, I think if he signals his intention that heas signing a pre-contract with us in the summer they may well be inclinded to sell him now and get something for him.

Col2
19-01-2012, 11:47 AM
If we were to wait until the summer he would be.................................. 30 years old. :greengrin

I think if he was to sign a pre now, the next step would be to try a token fee before 31st January.

My point (badly made) was - I we are signing 30 year olds we are doing it not because of a 5 year plan but to get us out of the here and now issue. Your right if he signs pre contract then we need to make sure we get him this month.

Andy74
19-01-2012, 12:21 PM
My point (badly made) was - I we are signing 30 year olds we are doing it not because of a 5 year plan but to get us out of the here and now issue. Your right if he signs pre contract then we need to make sure we get him this month.

A 30 year old could quite easily be a key player for the next 5 years.

Stevie Reid
19-01-2012, 12:39 PM
A 30 year old could quite easily be a key player for the next 5 years.

Was just gonna say the same thing - Rangers got 5 years out of Davie Weir and he was 36 when he signed for them. Players that look after themselves can have very long careers these days, even at the highest level, as Maldini, Giggs and Scholes have shown, amongst others.

ancienthibby
19-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Beeb Radio just reported that Hibs have approached St M about Jim Goodwin, but says they have no interest in Katie!

SteveHFC
19-01-2012, 01:58 PM
http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/33099-jim-goodwin/

Brooster
19-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Haha, theres a boy on there who says he will put his knob in a pencil sharpener if goodwin signs for us.
http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/33099-jim-goodwin/

Dibben
19-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Haha, theres a boy on there who says he will put his knob in a pencil sharpener if goodwin signs for us.

:Ummm:

He would have been safer with a bath of beans!!!

Andy74
19-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Funny how so many of them seem to think Hibs are a step down.

Granted we have not had a good time of it on the pitch but if we can get sorted out we should be in a position to be in with a shout of cups and Europe most years.

St Mirren might be able to do that now and again too but they would have to have an extraordinanry time of it to achieve that.

Maybe from the outside you don't really apprecaite how big a club this is with the centre and the stadium and probbaly the wages.

Our on field woes don't help that though but I still think it would be a no bariner for Goodwin.

They wwre suggesting there would be a choice between football success and money. Surely Hibs would be the best choice to give the best chance of both most years??

truehibernian
19-01-2012, 02:30 PM

If Hibs were to go for the other player you like Brooster, I would consider doing that for charity :greengrin Very surprised that Hayes hasn't come to the attention of the transfer gossip columns as yet.......terrific wee player, would love to see him at Easter Road.

CRAZYHIBBY
19-01-2012, 02:33 PM
St mirren have had a bid accepted for dougie imrie so may be willing to let goodwin go........

At The Edge
19-01-2012, 02:33 PM
had a wee read through the buddies forum, pretty split on Goodwin, folk think he'd be going downward in his career, others saying that Hibs will pay him an extra 1000 a week so he'd be daft not to? Not sure where the 1000 a week has come from right enough.

most folk though, think hes a decent player

JimBHibees
19-01-2012, 02:45 PM
St mirren have had a bid accepted for dougie imrie so may be willing to let goodwin go........

Different sorts of players are they not. Hope your right though.

JimBHibees
19-01-2012, 02:46 PM
had a wee read through the buddies forum, pretty split on Goodwin, folk think he'd be going downward in his career, others saying that Hibs will pay him an extra 1000 a week so he'd be daft not to? Not sure where the 1000 a week has come from right enough.

Sounds exactly the sort we need, a leader who is a good influence on and off the park. Cant remember the last time we had someone like that, probably Jones.

RyeSloan
19-01-2012, 02:47 PM

Granted we have not had a good time of it on the pitch but if we can get sorted out we should be in a position to be in with a shout of cups and Europe most years.

St Mirren might be able to do that now and again too but they would have to have an extraordinanry time of it to achieve that.

Maybe from the outside you don't really apprecaite how big a club this is with the centre and the stadium and probbaly the wages.

Our on field woes don't help that though but I still think it would be a no bariner for Goodwin.

They wwre suggesting there would be a choice between football success and money. Surely Hibs would be the best choice to give the best chance of both most years??

I found all of that a bit weird

"30 or not,short career at the top or not,you got to try and do the best you can to win things
but hey,if goody thinks moving downwards to hibs is a good career move then thats up to him,take the money and stuff ambition
just my opinion"

Ok we are hardly world beaters just now or any year but remind me again what St Mirren have won in the last 25 years?

JimBHibees
19-01-2012, 02:48 PM
I found all of that a bit weird

"30 or not,short career at the top or not,you got to try and do the best you can to win things
but hey,if goody thinks moving downwards to hibs is a good career move then thats up to him,take the money and stuff ambition
just my opinion"

Ok we are hardly world beaters just now or any year but remind me again what St Mirren have won in the last 25 years?

Scottish cup

PeterboroHibee
19-01-2012, 02:53 PM

Hibs are a much bigger club than St.Mirren, he would be moving to Edinburgh, most likely on higher wages and whilst we are struggling at the moment, with the right players that can change, and he could be a part of that.

scoopyboy
19-01-2012, 03:04 PM

I was teasing a bit Col2, but to take your age comment Goodwin could easily play until he was 33.

Brooster
19-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Lol I cannot believe you would consider doing that, in fact I cannot believe you could fit into a pancil sharpener! Get Goodwin in now, best enforcer in the spl.

If Hibs were to st go for the other player you like Brooster, I would consider doing that for charity :greengrin Very surprised that Hayes hasn't come to the attention of the transfer gossip columns as yet.......terrific wee player, would love to see him at Easter Road.

duffers
19-01-2012, 04:27 PM
I know im going to get shot down for this.....
But does anyone else think he's actually not that good?
He's like a poor Ian Black, and I wouldn't want him anywhere near ER

Aubenas
19-01-2012, 04:36 PM
PF: Ah, Victor, come in!

VP: Hi Boss

PF: It was just to let you know that er Jim Goodwin will be signing for us next week

VP: (Whoooooooooooshhhhh!)

PF: Victor? Victor? Victor.................

PF: Liam! Victor's left.

:wink:

Golden Bear
19-01-2012, 04:41 PM

I can only go on his recent displays for St Mirren against Hibs and you couldn't fail to be impressed with his play. On top of that he seems to be a born leader and that is something we've not had at ER for a considerable period of time.

Andy74
19-01-2012, 04:43 PM

Both Ian Black and Jim Goodwin regularly dominate most matches I ever see them in. That includes passing the ball and scoring goals as well as closing down and tackling people.

So in that respect he's good as we don't have anyone, maybe other than Osbourne capable of that.

He also has ample SPL experience, is a good age and a leader.

If that's not exactly what we need then I must be watching a different Hibs team!

People have been asking when we were going to start going for the better players of other teams in the SPL. Well, here we are.

JimBHibees
19-01-2012, 04:48 PM
I can only go on his recent displays for St Mirren against Hibs and you couldn't fail to be impressed with his play. On top of that he seems to be a born leader and that is something we've not had at ER for a considerable period of time.

:agree: Thought he was excellent in the game at ER earlier in the season controlled the middle of the park with ease that day and ran the show.

shagpile
19-01-2012, 05:08 PM

I wouldn't say £1000 more,but maybe double his wages though. St Mirren were interested in the guy McAllister at the start of the season & the wages mentioned was around £750 p/w,[+bonuses] so Hibs paying around £1500 a week wouldn't be far off the mark?

ancient hibee
19-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Both Ian Black and Jim Goodwin regularly dominate most matches I ever see them in. That includes passing the ball and scoring goals as well as closing down and tackling people.

So in that respect he's good as we don't have anyone, maybe other than Osbourne capable of that.

If that's not exactly what we need then I must be watching a different Hibs team!

People have been asking when we were going to start going for the better players of other teams in the SPL. Well, here we are.

The number of quotes I see on here about not wanting this player or that player invariably seem to be about guys that can actually play-something we don't have too much of at ER.

NAE NOOKIE
19-01-2012, 05:20 PM
I am one of those who dont notice opposition players much unless they are a dirty sod or have an outstanding game, but I have to say that I have been impressed by Goodwin a couple of times recently, a big strong player with presence on the pitch and loads of energy.

I agree that we need a ball player in midfield and a big commanding centre half, but I have to say that IMO this wouldnt be a bad signing.

Spike Mandela
19-01-2012, 05:44 PM

Agreed he is a better midfielder than we have but he isn't what I would call a goal scoring midfielder. I remember the time you would be looking for an attacking midfielder to get around 10 goals, have any of our midfield even scored this year?

EVENTUALLY
19-01-2012, 05:45 PM

I agree. I don't think he owned Palsson or ran any shows at ER. His posturing, gobbing off and general poor temperament is far greater than his footballing ability as part of a very decent football side put together by Danny Lennon.

I'd far rather go after Murray Davidson or Johnny Hayes. I'd far rather put together a footballing midfield than one which includes a nasty individual like JG. I'd far rather throw in young Stanton and watch a highly talented young man light up ER.

Jim Goodwin...no thanks.:tin hat:

Baldy Foghorn
19-01-2012, 05:57 PM
A hard, ball winning midfielder, yes please

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-01-2012, 06:09 PM

What if the pencil sharpener is on a day off?

Cropley10
19-01-2012, 06:17 PM
I agree. I don't think he owned Palsson or ran any shows at ER. His posturing, gobbing off and general poor temperament is far greater than his footballing ability as part of a very decent football side put together by Danny Lennon.

I'd far rather go after Murray Davidson or Johnny Hayes. I'd far rather put together a footballing midfield than one which includes a nasty individual like JG. I'd far rather throw in young Stanton and watch a highly talented young man light up ER.

Jim Goodwin...no thanks.:tin hat:

Roughly how much would Hayes or Davidson cost? And is Goodwin's temperament any worse than Sproules?

Aldo
19-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Roughly how much would Hayes or Davidson cost? And is Goodwin's temperament any worse than Sproules?

I haven't got someone with a bit if aggression about him but it's how they channel it. Sproule is unable to control it.

String spine of team required and Goodwin 1st piece.

Wish folk would stop going on bout KT cos it won't be happening.

Kato
19-01-2012, 07:02 PM

That's as well put as it's going to get.

Would be delighted if we signed him and got a season and a half out of him. There's a few younger players we have that could learn a lot from a player like Goodwin.

Gala Foxes
19-01-2012, 07:08 PM
PF: Ah, Victor, come in!

VP: Hi Boss

PF: It was just to let you know that er Jim Goodwin will be signing for us next week

VP: (Whoooooooooooshhhhh!)

PF: Victor? Victor? Victor.................

PF: Liam! Victor's left.

:wink:

Superb - he made VP look a bit of a mug last season

Dashing Bob S
19-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Superb - he made VP look a bit of a mug last season

-Has an engine
-can tackle
-can pick a pass
-has a will to win
-wins the ball to allow others to play

I got a bit of flack for saying Ian Black was what Hibs needed before he went to Hearts. We really need to have a couple of competitors and leaders to let the others play. I like the one-touch passing stuff as much as anyone but you also need guys who will roll up their sleeves and give the powder puff ponces some protection, inspiration and encouragement. And the ball, from time to time.

PF is begining to really inspire me with moves like this, he knows what we need and the type of player he can have in the side to enable gifted youngsters to come through. For example you wouldn't put a young midfield player like Stanton in the current midfield unless you wanted to end his career. Stick him in there with the like of Goodwin and its an entirely different scenario.

mikeyriley
19-01-2012, 09:32 PM
when they did us at ER he was outstanding. He reminded me of the way that Kevin McBride played when he was on his game.

Kevin mcbride never played!!!

scunnyhibs
19-01-2012, 09:35 PM
For what it's worth my mates in scunny rate goodwin way higher than rob jones having seen both of them play for our team... I was a big fan of jonesy at hibs, so on their recommendation I'm more than happy to give jg a chance.
And that's despite the fact I used to implore vic to get intae that effing pile o crap for the last two seasons! One of those players that I hate when he's playing against us but would probably love in my own team

sleeping giant
19-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Kevin mcbride never played!!!
McBride and Miller were looking like the best Midfielders in Scotland for a while.
He played and he played well......for a while:greengrin

RickyS
20-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Danny saying this morning that he'll do "everything" to keep him and that he won't be leaving in the window 'cos he's "such an important player"

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/33099-jim-goodwin/page__st__160

Judas Iscariot
20-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Danny saying this morning that he'll do "everything" to keep him and that he won't be leaving in the window 'cos he's "such an important player"

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/33099-jim-goodwin/page__st__160

He'll be away next week then :aok:

--------
20-01-2012, 10:20 AM
-Has an engine-can tackle-can pick a pass-has a will to win-wins the ball to allow others to playI got a bit of flack for saying Ian Black was what Hibs needed before he went to Hearts. We really need to have a couple of competitors and leaders to let the others play. I like the one-touch passing stuff as much as anyone but you also need guys who will roll up their sleeves and give the powder puff ponces some protection, inspiration and encouragement. And the ball, from time to time.PF is begining to really inspire me with moves like this, he knows what we need and the type of player he can have in the side to enable gifted youngsters to come through. For example you wouldn't put a young midfield player like Stanton in the current midfield unless you wanted to end his career. Stick him in there with the like of Goodwin and its an entirely different scenario.

Powder puff ponces, Bob? :cool2:

If there's a hammering on your door in the next few hours, don't open it - it'll be the Purity Police after you. :devil:

IIRC when young Paddy first appeared in the green and white, he played right-half. Left half was John Fraser aka Razor, centre-half was a wee delicate flower from Coatbridge called John McNamee aka Big Bad John, right-back was a former miner, Billy Simpson, and left back was John Parke, a Northern Ireland internationalist. No lack of strength or experience there.That the sort of thing you mean?

Nobody messed with young Paddy.

You're right - we need a Goodwin or a Black in the team - or both ... :greengrin

Andy74
20-01-2012, 10:21 AM

If we had a quid for everytime we've heard that here!

I think Goodwin will sign a pre contract and when this happens an arrangement will be reached.

JimBHibees
20-01-2012, 10:24 AM

I think Goodwin will sign a pre contract and when this happens an arrangement will be reached.

Yep that is how I think it will go also. Saints will be trying to sort out a replacement as we speak IMO.

blackpoolhibs
20-01-2012, 10:34 AM

:agree: And maybe a £25k-£35k bid will swing it now they have Imrie?

Dombie
20-01-2012, 12:20 PM
That font of all knowledge, twitter is saying Goodwin has rejected our precontract offer AND saints current offer.

Craig_in_Prague
20-01-2012, 12:31 PM
That font of all knowledge, twitter is saying Goodwin has rejected our precontract offer AND saints current offer.

Might well be right. Probably his last contract in football that he can try to negotiate.

Also, if you know you are "wanted" by potential employers, it's normal to try and squeeze more (good luck with that with Petrie!)

silverhibee
20-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Danny Lennon just on SSN saying that Goodwin will still be a St Mirren player at the end of the month, he seemed pretty confident that Goodwin's future would be at the Buddies.

Hibs player by next week then. :greengrin

HibbyAndy
20-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Danny Lennon just on SSN saying that Goodwin will still be a St Mirren player at the end of the month, he seemed pretty confident that Goodwin's future would be at the Buddies.

Just heard it, Aken Lennon is an ex hibee like but i cant stand the wee turd!...He Was choking to say St mirren were a bigger club than hibs when the reporter half hearted posed the question, Aye right ya wee rat faced twat!!!.

Jim44
20-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Just heard it, Aken Lennon is an ex hibee like but i cant stand the wee turd!...He Was choking to say St mirren were a bigger club than hibs when the reporter half hearted posed the question, Aye right ya wee rat faced twat!!!.

A lot of the St Mirren fans are saying that they are a bigger club than Hibs and that it would be a bad career move for Goodwin. Most other SPL clubs and their fans share the same opinion of us. A few years ago they would have been airing the same thoughts but deep down would have admitted we were the bigger club. However, and, whether we agree or not or like it or not, we really have gone from being a big club going through a bad spell to a one time big club which has lost it's direction and it's erstwhile status as one of the top four clubs in the country and consequently their perception of us is genuine in their eyes. Pat Fenlon has the enormous task of giving us a couple of good seasons to allow us to creep back up to the position we should be in and should never have lost. He himself has said that it was hard for us to entice good players to come to ER because of our position and I suspect Goodwin falls into this category.

Benny Brazil
20-01-2012, 01:36 PM

So Hearts have contacted him then..............

Andy74
20-01-2012, 01:36 PM
A lot of the St Mirren fans are saying that they are a bigger club than Hibs and that it would be a bad career move for Goodwin. Most other SPL clubs and their fans share the same opinion of us. A few years ago they would have been airing the same thoughts but deep down would have admitted we were the bigger club. However, and, whether we agree or not or like it or not, we really have gone from being a big club going through a bad spell to a one time big club which has lost it's direction and it's erstwhile status as one of the top four clubs in the country and consequently their perception of us is genuine in their eyes. Pat Fenlon has the enormous task of giving us a couple of good seasons to allow us to creep back up to the position we should be in and should never have lost. He himself has said that it was hard for us to entice good players to come to ER because of our position and I suspect Goodwin falls into this category.

I don't agree and Lennon himself would be across here in seconds if he was offered the Hibs job.

We may need a wee bit work on the pitch but it's all here.

silverhibee
20-01-2012, 01:42 PM

Spot on Jim, most clubs fans in the SPL now think we are an easy 3 points home or away, i have never in my time watching Hibs seen us been dominated so much at home when we play, it is hard to watch, really Motherwell Killie St Mirren or ****ing St Johnstone coming to ER and dominating play against us is not on, we are one big soft touch from top to bottom, tough game for us tomorrow and it will give us a little indication if we really have turned the corner, a wee bit disapointed that there is no new face's for tomorrow's game, hopefully Stack back in for Brown and please Pat dont play Hart, put the new lad Francombe in at right back.

basehibby
20-01-2012, 01:51 PM

:rotflmao:... and we thought the Yams were deluded! You could argue pretty strongly that St Midden have been a BETTER TEAM for the last couple of seasons, but bigger club?!? Oh Ma sides :hilarious

MB62
20-01-2012, 01:52 PM
A lot of the St Mirren fans are saying that they are a bigger club than Hibs and that it would be a bad career move for Goodwin.
Pat Fenlon himself has said that it was hard for us to entice good players to come to ER because of our position and I suspect Goodwin falls into this category.

In what way could they ever consider themselves to be a bigger club than Hibs?

Ground - ER is about 3 times the capacity

Salaries - We might not be the biggest payers but we can match and, I would imagine, BETTER anything St. Mirren could offer.

Attendances - even in our recent slump we are getting twice as many at home games than them.

Training facilities - No contest there either

Admittedly at the moment, they are higher in the league than us but we are trying to do something about this, e.g. trying to sign their club captain.
The final decision on who he signs for will be with the player but there is no comparison between the two clubs and trying to suggest otherwise is delusional, despite our current situation.

Andy74
20-01-2012, 01:59 PM

Salaries - We might not be the biggest payers but we can match and, I would imagine, BETTER anything St. Mirren could offer.

Attendances - even in our recent slump we are getting twice as many at home games than them.

Training facilities - No contest there either

Admittedly at the moment, they are higher in the league than us but we are trying to do something about this, e.g. trying to sign their club captain.
The final decision on who he signs for will be with the player but there is no comparison between the two clubs and trying to suggest otherwise is delusional, despite our current situation.

Easy way to look at this.

Could St Mirren ever tempt our best player or manager under any circumstances? No chance.

degenerated
20-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Easy way to look at this.

Could St Mirren ever tempt our best player or manager under any circumstances? No chance.

We'd have to have one first :greengrin

Jim44
20-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Talk about bricks and mortar, fanbases and measurable criteria etc. etc. all you want, the point I'm making is that we have plummeted so far in terms of the important criterion ie. the quality of the football team, that these other clubs and their fans seriously believe that they are bigger in a holistic sense. For the record, I still believe we are a bigger club, but that's not the issue here ................ it's the perception that others have of us.

--------
20-01-2012, 03:16 PM
A lot of the St Mirren fans are saying that they are a bigger club than Hibs and that it would be a bad career move for Goodwin. Most other SPL clubs and their fans share the same opinion of us. A few years ago they would have been airing the same thoughts but deep down would have admitted we were the bigger club. However, and, whether we agree or not or like it or not, we really have gone from being a big club going through a bad spell to a one time big club which has lost its direction and its erstwhile status as one of the top four clubs in the country and consequently their perception of us is genuine in their eyes. Pat Fenlon has the enormous task of giving us a couple of good seasons to allow us to creep back up to the position we should be in and should never have lost. He himself has said that it was hard for us to entice good players to come to ER because of our position and I suspect Goodwin falls into this category.

Talk about bricks and mortar, fanbases and measurable criteria etc. etc. all you want, the point I'm making is that we have plummeted so far in terms of the important criterion ie. the quality of the football team, that these other clubs and their fans seriously believe that they are bigger in a holistic sense. For the record, I still believe we are a bigger club, but that's not the issue here ................ it's the perception that others have of us.

Exactly right.

The last time we were relegated under McLeish the resources were there and the will was there to make absolutely sure we returned to the top League in one season - which we did, earlier in the season than any other team had before us, and with a greater points total than any other team before or since. In a way, we did to the First Division what the OF do to the SPL - we exerted a bit of financial muscle to build a team as certain as could be to fulfil the target set for that season - promotion - and a team that was already well-prepared for the challenges of the SPL before we ever got there.

That's what a big club does.

I'm very far from convinced that we could do the same again if we go down this year. I don't think the finance is there, I consider that the playing staff is markedly inferior to the playing staff when we went down then, and I'm not convinced that the owner and board would be as single-minded in their determination to get us back up to stay up as they were then.

Hibs right now aren't a 'big team'. We're exactly what you describe us as - an erstwhile 'big team' who has lost its way over the past few years. For all that we have a fine new stadium and fine new training and coaching facilities, we're seen as the soft touch of the SPL, and we could still take our fine new stadium and training ground down into SFL Div One in May. And if we do, there'll be no one to blame but Hibs themselves.

Pat is having to rebuild from the ground up. As I see it his ONLY task right now is to keep us up so that he has the opportunity to consolidate our SPL status next season, so he can further consolidate our status the following season. The work with the young players has to be kick-started - thank goodness we have guys like Wotherspoon and Booth because without them we shouldn't be able to point to any evidence for a 'youth policy' at all. The first team has to be radically strengthened around a core of the sort of experienced, committed senior professionals we just don't have - unless some of the guys on our books right now finally stand up to be counted, which I think may be beginning to happen. He has to rebuild poride in the club, the club's history, and the shirt the team plays in. He has to get the fans back onside supporting the team good or bad, home or away, regardless.

I personally think he also has to educate the board and owner about what owning a football club, a club with a long history rooted in the community from which it draws its fan-base, really means. Preserving a football club isn't like preserving a museum exhibit - it's about safeguarding that club and structuring it so that the football it plays is a source of pride to its fans and to the community they come from.

I'm not sure that STF and RP REALLY understand this - not down in their hearts and muscles and bones, anyway.

I hate to harp on about Alex Miller, but his early signings were the sort of players some of us on here would have discounted as 'not Hibs class' long before they ever pulled on the jersey. Dougie Bell, Graham Mitchell, Tom McIntyre, and Neil Orr, IIRC. By no means ungifted, but primarily solid grafters with experience and character to pull the younger players around them into shape, to plug the gaps in a struggling team, and to pull that team up the table out of relegation danger. It was only later that he brought in the likes of Keith Wright, Steve Archibald, Darren Jackson, Michael O'Neill, and Kevin McAllister. (That's some forward line, BTW.)

Like McLeish - he gave us Sauzee and Latapy, but he also brought in Stevie Lovell and Gary Smith and John O'Neil, solid professionals who worked hard to make sure that the like of Latapy and Zitelli and Luna were allowed to play.

I would happily see BOTH Goodwin AND Black at ER. They can both play more than a bit, but the main thing is, with them in the side I couldn't see other teams pushing us around they way they have been recently. Those two and a BIG, DOMINANT, centre-half with the capacity to organise the back four, and I think we could say goodbye to all relegation worries for sure.

I know it's not Hibernianly-correct to say it to some folks on here, but sometimes the ONLY way to stop other teams kicking our players is to have the capacity and will to inflict pain on them in retaliation. I watched the last La Liga Clasico - one of Real's defenders went through Messi; two minutes later Puyol put the same defender up in the air and onto the turf, where he stayed for a lot longer than Messi had. Puyol took the yellow for the team. BUT - situation sorted.

MartinfaePorty
20-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Some good points, Doddie and I agree Miller's signings were exactly what we needed at the time.

In the days before the internet fans were excited about signing anybody and I think Mitchell was then captain at Hamilton (although I'd never really heard of him), Bell had been with the great Aberdeen side and (a pre-Souness) Rangers and McIntyre was an understudy for the outstanding McLeish and Miller partnership at Aberdeen. However, I think Neil Orr was slightly later and came from the top division in England, commanding a decent fee for the time. I was told from a reliable source that Hibs had a maximum overdraft of about £250k about then and Miller balanced the books early doors by getting rid of a lot of the dross and getting small fees for others e.g. Gordon Chisholm to Dundee.

Anyway, off point, but I'd be glad to see Goodwin come in and hope to see a better and more sustainable standard of signing from our new gaffer. Can understand some people being underwhelmed and it's just a sign of today's culture of immediacy that any rumour encourages masses of debate before anything actually happens. Can't wait for the window to close!

Wilson
20-01-2012, 03:35 PM

It is either part of the negotiation process or he fancies seeing out his contract and taking the best offer he gets as a free agent.

Hopefully it is the former. I have a great deal of faith in Fenlon and believe he is building for a brighter future. If he sees Goodwin as part of that then Goodwin should get on board.

Andy74
20-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Exactly right.

The last time we were relegated under McLeish the resources were there and the will was there to make absolutely sure we returned to the top League in one season - which we did, earlier in the season than any other team had before us, and with a greater points total than any other team before or since. In a way, we did to the First Division what the OF do to the SPL - we exerted a bit of financial muscle to build a team as certain as could be to fulfil the target set for that season - promotion - and a team that was already well-prepared for the challenges of the SPL before we ever got there.

That's what a big club does.

I'm very far from convinced that we could do the same again if we go down this year. I don't think the finance is there, I consider that the playing staff is markedly inferior to the playing staff when we went down then, and I'm not convinced that the owner and board would be as single-minded in their determination to get us back up to stay up as they were then.

Hibs right now aren't a 'big team'. We're exactly what you describe us as - an erstwhile 'big team' who has lost its way over the past few years. For all that we have a fine new stadium and fine new training and coaching facilities, we're seen as the soft touch of the SPL, and we could still take our fine new stadium and training ground down into SFL Div One in May. And if we do, there'll be no one to blame but Hibs themselves.

Pat is having to rebuild from the ground up. As I see it his ONLY task right now is to keep us up so that he has the opportunity to consolidate our SPL status next season, so he can further consolidate our status the following season. The work with the young players has to be kick-started - thank goodness we have guys like Wotherspoon and Booth because without them we shouldn't be able to point to any evidence for a 'youth policy' at all. The first team has to be radically strengthened around a core of the sort of experienced, committed senior professionals we just don't have - unless some of the guys on our books right now finally stand up to be counted, which I think may be beginning to happen. He has to rebuild poride in the club, the club's history, and the shirt the team plays in. He has to get the fans back onside supporting the team good or bad, home or away, regardless.

I personally think he also has to educate the board and owner about what owning a football club, a club with a long history rooted in the community from which it draws its fan-base, really means. Preserving a football club isn't like preserving a museum exhibit - it's about safeguarding that club and structuring it so that the football it plays is a source of pride to its fans and to the community they come from.

I'm not sure that STF and RP REALLY understand this - not down in their hearts and muscles and bones, anyway.

I hate to harp on about Alex Miller, but his early signings were the sort of players some of us on here would have discounted as 'not Hibs class' long before they ever pulled on the jersey. Dougie Bell, Graham Mitchell, Tom McIntyre, and Neil Orr, IIRC. By no means ungifted, but primarily solid grafters with experience and character to pull the younger players around them into shape, to plug the gaps in a struggling team, and to pull that team up the table out of relegation danger. It was only later that he brought in the likes of Keith Wright, Steve Archibald, Darren Jackson, Michael O'Neill, and Kevin McAllister. (That's some forward line, BTW.)

Like McLeish - he gave us Sauzee and Latapy, but he also brought in Stevie Lovell and Gary Smith and John O'Neil, solid professionals who worked hard to make sure that the like of Latapy and Zitelli and Luna were allowed to play.

I would happily see BOTH Goodwin AND Black at ER. They can both play more than a bit, but the main thing is, with them in the side I couldn't see other teams pushing us around they way they have been recently. Those two and a BIG, DOMINANT, centre-half with the capacity to organise the back four, and I think we could say goodbye to all relegation worries for sure.

I know it's not Hibernianly-correct to say it to some folks on here, but sometimes the ONLY way to stop other teams kicking our players is to have the capacity and will to inflict pain on them in retaliation. I watched the last La Liga Clasico - one of Real's defenders went through Messi; two minutes later Puyol put the same defender up in the air and onto the turf, where he stayed for a lot longer than Messi had. Puyol took the yellow for the team. BUT - situation sorted.

That's mainly all about the football team and it's obvious we haven't been very good for the last couple of years, but that can be remedied fairly quickly by the right maanger and the right players.

What we are talking about is where a player would rather work and there's no doubt, even in the current league positions, Hibs are a bigger club and a better proposition for a player.

As i've said, if we wre looking for a manager (when would we ever do that) and we wanted the St Mirren amanger, we could make that happen. St Mirren could never come here and take ours.

By the same token we could take their best player and captain, they couldn't come looking for Garry O or Osbourne and get them.

The team stuff can't really be argued but I don't think that's really what we are talking about in terms of whether a player would be tempted by either club right now.

Also, in terms of set up as you talk about above, we'd have to better placed than St Mirren, correct?

BEEJ
20-01-2012, 04:27 PM
tough game for us tomorrow and it will give us a little indication if we really have turned the corner, a wee bit disapointed that there is no new face's for tomorrow's game, hopefully Stack back in for Brown and please Pat dont play Hart, put the new lad Francombe in at right back.
:agree: I share your disappointment.

Clearly much work going on behind the scenes but, for whatever reasons, the targets appear to be resisting the lure of ER and our first class training complex at East Mains.

No one can tell though whether there is the same flexibility in salary structure at the two clubs. One club can have a smaller budget than another but still offer a player more money if it is given greater discretion as to how it uses that budget.

J-C
20-01-2012, 04:33 PM
The wage for Goodwin might not be the problem, it may be all the add ons that go with any deal.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Much like the guys we need to move on other clubs will have players in this buyers Market that value
Themselves above the going rate they need to test the water and there will likely be a bit of a scramble towards the end as the realisation hits home. I suspect there will be more of this this window than others. (Of course they can potentially just sit tight.)

Perhaps not for Hibs but in the Market in general there will probably be a few how the heck did he end up there scenarios...

PaulSmith
20-01-2012, 04:52 PM
The wage for Goodwin might not be the problem, it may be all the add ons that go with any deal.

Add on's?

PeterboroHibee
20-01-2012, 05:13 PM
The St.Mirren fans saying they are a bigger club than us is hilarious. Last season, which was awful for Hibs, we still finished above them and are only half way through this season, who knows how it will turn out. Weve usually been pretty consistant for a top 6 finish in the last decade, often at least challenging for a European spot, and have won a cup. 2 season of playing bad football doesnt suddenly make us this insignificant club in the SPL, and it would take a fair amount of time before we were a step down from the likes of St.Mirren.

As for Goodwin, hope we offer him a good deal with some incentives, signing another SPL teams captain would show the direction we want to go in and would really add something we are missing. Really hope we dont miss out on him.

Gmack7
20-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Add on's?

they want an extra 50 quid if he captains us to this years scottish cup,rod is haggling

Andy74
20-01-2012, 05:35 PM
:agree: I share your disappointment.

Clearly much work going on behind the scenes but, for whatever reasons, the targets appear to be resisting the lure of ER and our first class training complex at East Mains.

No one can tell though whether there is the same flexibility in salary structure at the two clubs. One club can have a smaller budget than another but still offer a player more money if it is given greater discretion as to how it uses that budget.
We have an overall budget. It's up to the manager if he uses it on one player or twenty.

johncrobertson@
20-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Reported on STV Sports news that he has turned down a contract offer from St Mirren - nothing about turning down our offer. Reporter said this will boost Pat Fenlon's effort to sign him.

Baldy Foghorn
20-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Reported on STV Sports news that he has turned down a contract offer from St Mirren - nothing about turning down our offer. Reporter said this will boost Pat Fenlon's effort to sign him.

As an aside why do the newsroom in the East report on the old firm?? Pound to a penny there is no Hibs/yams content on the news in the West........:confused:

silverhibee
20-01-2012, 05:55 PM
As an aside why do the newsroom in the East report on the old firm?? Pound to a penny there is no Hibs/yams content on the news in the West........:confused:

****ing bugs me that as well STV/Edinburgh and they go straight to Glasgow for the sport. :agree:

Baldy Foghorn
20-01-2012, 06:01 PM
****ing bugs me that as well STV/Edinburgh and they go straight to Glasgow for the sport. :agree:

Good Silver, thought I was going off my rocker, shouting at the telly......Thought I was turning into Victor Meldrew:greengrin

BEEJ
20-01-2012, 06:39 PM
We have an overall budget. It's up to the manager if he uses it on one player or twenty.
Very emphatic! :greengrin

You know this as cast iron fact and have concrete evidence to back it up?

And do you know whether it has always been the case at ER and do you have evidence to back that up as well?

iain nolan
20-01-2012, 07:05 PM

i think goodman would bring the endeavour we missing at this time . calderwood didt sign players who know the spl and the scottish game and i think that has been there for all off us to see this season .I hope the new manager looks at other scottish players as we need a centre back not had one since jones left

Cocaine&Caviar
20-01-2012, 07:09 PM
i think goodman would bring the endeavour we missing at this time . calderwood didt sign players who know the spl and the scottish game and i think that has been there for all off us to see this season .I hope the new manager looks at other scottish players as we need a centre back not had one since jones left

Bamba was class.

Zazu62
20-01-2012, 07:10 PM
just sign him looks no bad, looks like he can get stuck in

J-C
20-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Add on's?
Appearance fees, 1st team bonus, etc etc

SMAXXA
20-01-2012, 07:33 PM

You know who I would like to see us sign as a Ch, Pasquali from Killi, I have always been impressed with him and recon its only a matter of time before he gets a decent move

scoopyboy
20-01-2012, 07:57 PM
It's in tonights Evening Times that Goodwin has been offered the contract he asked for from St.Mirren but he wants time to think it over due to our interest.

Baldy Foghorn
20-01-2012, 08:42 PM
It's in tonights Evening Times that Goodwin has been offered the contract he asked for from St.Mirren but he wants time to think it over due to our interest.

Lennon said as much on STV news tonight

PeterboroHibee
20-01-2012, 08:52 PM

Hopefully we've offered him a better deal than them then, whilst we arent a step down as has been suggested, I cant see him wanting to come to Hibs if hes being offered around the same as what he would happy with at St.Mirren.

silverhibee
20-01-2012, 09:36 PM

So who ever offers the better package gets there man, this will be Goodwin's last big pay day for him, Hibs have the 4th biggest budget in the SPL so there should be no problem than Hibs offering the better package to secure there target and get the player to ER, this will be simply down to money and who offers the most, Goodwin will go to the highest bidder, lets hope Hibs come up with the better package, my other we worry about Goodwin and this deal is that it has gone on for a few days now and has been in the press, whats to say an English or even another SPL team comes in for him while we have being dallying about and signs him from under our feet. :cb

If Fenlon wants him then SL has to make it happen and show the fans that they are backing the manager to get in the players the manager wants.

Baldy Foghorn
20-01-2012, 09:45 PM
So who ever offers the better package gets there man, this will be Goodwin's last big pay day for him, Hibs have the 4th biggest budget in the SPL so there should be no problem than Hibs offering the better package to secure there target and get the player to ER, this will be simply down to money and who offers the most, Goodwin will go to the highest bidder, lets hope Hibs come up with the better package, my other we worry about Goodwin and this deal is that it has gone on for a few days now and has been in the press, whats to say an English or even another SPL team comes in for him while we have being dallying about and signs him from under our feet. :cb

If Fenlon wants him then SL has to make it happen and show the fans that they are backing the manager to get in the players the manager wants.

Agree

matty_f
20-01-2012, 09:55 PM

Totally agree with that. We're not looking at unrealistic targets hete. If Goodwin is Pat's main target then SL has to pull out all the stops to secure his signature.

HibbyRod
20-01-2012, 10:08 PM
St Mirren a bigger club than Hibs!!!??? :faf:

Cheered me right up those comments. :thumbsup:

We might be suffering a bad patch, but come on!!??? :rolleyes:

silverhibee
20-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Totally agree with that. We're not looking at unrealistic targets hete. If Goodwin is Pat's main target then SL has to pull out all the stops to secure his signature.

Think its safe to say he is Matty, and if we lose out on this one, well it wont be pretty on here, thats why SL will has to make this one happen, if we lose out to the buddies over them offering better wages to Goodwin, then i am glad i am not an Admin. :greengrin

Jim44
20-01-2012, 10:28 PM
St Mirren a bigger club than Hibs!!!??? :faf:

Cheered me right up those comments. :thumbsup:

We might be suffering a bad patch, but come on!!??? :rolleyes:

Well, if our deplorable performances over the last few years can be shrugged off as 'a bad patch', God help us when we get into serious bother. :greengrin

HibbyRod
20-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Well, if our deplorable performances over the last few years can be shrugged off as 'a bad patch', God help us when we get into serious bother. :greengrin

Patience James, patience! :greengrin

AlbertK86
20-01-2012, 10:41 PM

Remember Sheridan

Reaper
20-01-2012, 10:48 PM
If he's our managers main target, i won't be going back anytime soon. ****wit of the highest order and nowhere near Hibs class! (haha which at the moment is pish!)

Dashing Bob S
20-01-2012, 10:52 PM
If he's our managers main target, i won't be going back anytime soon. ****wit of the highest order and nowhere near Hibs class! (haha which at the moment is pish!)

Missing you already.

Reaper
20-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Missing you already.

Yep, good for you!

whiskyhibby
20-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Yep, good for you!

:monkey:
:titanic::titanic::titanic:

brydekirk
20-01-2012, 11:25 PM

bye.

--------
21-01-2012, 01:12 AM
That's mainly all about the football team and it's obvious we haven't been very good for the last couple of years, but that can be remedied fairly quickly by the right maanger and the right players.

What we are talking about is where a player would rather work and there's no doubt, even in the current league positions, Hibs are a bigger club and a better proposition for a player.

As i've said, if we wre looking for a manager (when would we ever do that) and we wanted the St Mirren amanger, we could make that happen. St Mirren could never come here and take ours.

By the same token we could take their best player and captain, they couldn't come looking for Garry O or Osbourne and get them.

The team stuff can't really be argued but I don't think that's really what we are talking about in terms of whether a player would be tempted by either club right now.

Also, in terms of set up as you talk about above, we'd have to better placed than St Mirren, correct?

As far as 'where a player would rather work' goes, I suppose that we'll find out about THAT when Goodwin either signs for us or decides to go elsewhere. FWIW, how many players have we signed from other SPL clubs over the last 5 years? Players that fit your description of 'best player/ captain'? Players who weren't out of contract and who therefore made a conscious decision to move to Hibs from a 'smaller' club? Players we paid a fee for? John Rankin? Sol Bamba? Colin Nish? The Falkirk contingent signed by Hughes? We might be a bigger BUSINESS concern, but we've been declining in football terms for far too long now.

If we're such a 'big club', why hasn't Goodwin jumped at the chance to sign a pre-contract with us? Why didn't he bite Fenlon's hand off, if we're such a BIG club? The truth is, right now, in real football terms, we're not half as 'big' as some of us seem to think we are.

I totally agree that in terms of infrastructure and finance Hibs are bigger than St Mirren. But I also agree with the point Jim was making, that while a few years back Hibs might well have been seen as a 'big' club experiencing a temporary glitch, we're now a 'big' club that has been in decline for at least 5 years - to the point where more is needed to turn things around decisively than the manager signing 3/4 players from 'smaller' clubs in the same League. Once upon a time we could do that with little trouble. Now we can't. Putting it simply, when a 'big' club underperforms season after season after season as we've been doing, there has to come the point when the question has to be asked - just how 'big' a club are we?

Could we even THINK of trying to sign the contemporary equivalents of Steve Archibald, Franck Sauzee, Mixu Paatelainen or Russell Latapy today?

And I can understand Saints' fans being a bit annoyed when Hibs fans assume that Hibs are so much more desirable a club to sign for than St Mirren. Pat Fenlon has already made it clear that the decline of the last few seasons and the consequent threat to Hibs' SPL status has made players very unwilling to sign up with us. That's hardly suggestive of a club who can make anything happen in the way a really big club can.

I consider that the idea that the present troubles of Hibernian Football Club can be 'fairly easily remedied' by the right manager and the right players to smack of a high degree of complacency.

The idea that 'we haven't been very good for the last couple of years' is a bit like saying that that Italian cruise liner 'has a bit of a problem floating'. Five managers in five years and HOW many players in, out, in, out, shake it all about - Hibs have been in turmoil, and that turmoil has seriously damaged us.

Thankfully, the present manager, who seems to be a man who knows his job, also seems to appreciate the seriousness of the situation he's inherited.

Cropley10
21-01-2012, 08:13 AM
As far as 'where a player would rather work' goes, I suppose that we'll find out about THAT when Goodwin either signs for us or decides to go elsewhere. FWIW, how many players have we signed from other SPL clubs over the last 5 years? Players that fit your description of 'best player/ captain'? Players who weren't out of contract and who therefore made a conscious decision to move to Hibs from a 'smaller' club? Players we paid a fee for? John Rankin? Sol Bamba? Colin Nish? The Falkirk contingent signed by Hughes? We might be a bigger BUSINESS concern, but we've been declining in football terms for far too long now.

If we're such a 'big club', why hasn't Goodwin jumped at the chance to sign a pre-contract with us? Why didn't he bite Fenlon's hand off, if we're such a BIG club? The truth is, right now, in real football terms, we're not half as 'big' as some of us seem to think we are.

I totally agree that in terms of infrastructure and finance Hibs are bigger than St Mirren. But I also agree with the point Jim was making, that while a few years back Hibs might well have been seen as a 'big' club experiencing a temporary glitch, we're now a 'big' club that has been in decline for at least 5 years - to the point where more is needed to turn things around decisively than the manager signing 3/4 players from 'smaller' clubs in the same League. Once upon a time we could do that with little trouble. Now we can't. Putting it simply, when a 'big' club underperforms season after season after season as we've been doing, there has to come the point when the question has to be asked - just how 'big' a club are we?

Could we even THINK of trying to sign the contemporary equivalents of Steve Archibald, Franck Sauzee, Mixu Paatelainen or Russell Latapy today?

And I can understand Saints' fans being a bit annoyed when Hibs fans assume that Hibs are so much more desirable a club to sign for than St Mirren. Pat Fenlon has already made it clear that the decline of the last few seasons and the consequent threat to Hibs' SPL status has made players very unwilling to sign up with us. That's hardly suggestive of a club who can make anything happen in the way a really big club can.

I consider that the idea that the present troubles of Hibernian Football Club can be 'fairly easily remedied' by the right manager and the right players to smack of a high degree of complacency.

The idea that 'we haven't been very good for the last couple of years' is a bit like saying that that Italian cruise liner 'has a bit of a problem floating'. Five managers in five years and HOW many players in, out, in, out, shake it all about - Hibs have been in turmoil, and that turmoil has seriously damaged us.

Thankfully, the present manager, who seems to be a man who knows his job, also seems to appreciate the seriousness of the situation he's inherited.

Very true.

Rod needs to get his finger out and show we mean business. Anyone would think it's his money we're trying to spend.

Andy74
21-01-2012, 09:52 AM

All very interesting but little to do with Hibs being bigger or not than St Mirren.

--------
21-01-2012, 10:05 AM
All very interesting but little to do with Hibs being bigger or not than St Mirren.

:rolleyes:

Since90+2
21-01-2012, 10:15 AM

Pretty much agree with everything Doddie said to be honest. What parts do you disagree with?

smurf
21-01-2012, 10:36 AM

You sum up how a lot of us feel.

Part/Time Supporter
21-01-2012, 10:38 AM

That has a lot more to do with the declining economic position of Scottish football over the last 10-20 years than anything specifically to do with Hibs. In the same period you refer to, Rantic were signing Gascogine, Larsson, Laudrup. The class of the players they sign now are more comparable to the players Hibs were signing then (if that!).

squire
21-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Interesting to see whether Goodwin plays for St Mirren or not today...

N.Wales Hibby
21-01-2012, 10:49 AM

Agree 100%:top marks

Manxhibs
21-01-2012, 10:51 AM

Nope, injured apparently

WindyMiller
21-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Nope, injured apparently

Petrie will get hammered for signing a treatment table addict!

:panic:

squire
21-01-2012, 11:20 AM
"Injured" or injured? We won't know for sure till after the weekend I reckon

Bostonhibby
21-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Petrie will get hammered for signing a treatment table addict!

:panic:

:greengrin Yep, definitely down to Rod - heard he was so worried about the prospect of maybe paying money in advance of a pre contract that when Goodwin was putting his bins oot Petrie leapt from the bushes and dispatched him with a Vincent Kompany style 2 footer before disappearing into to the night on his moped.

scoopyboy
21-01-2012, 11:51 AM

He's on the BBC Sportsound commentary team for the game.

brydekirk
21-01-2012, 11:56 AM
"Injured" or injured? We won't know for sure till after the weekend I reckon

If he plays on tuesday in the cup it will damage our chances of a good cup run.

archiebald
21-01-2012, 11:56 AM
If we don't get this guy we are a joke - ST Mirren bigger than us thats a joke.:flag:

SMAXXA
21-01-2012, 11:57 AM
He's on the BBC Sportsound commentary team for the game.

Have they asked him about it yet?

Dashing Bob S
21-01-2012, 11:59 AM
I predict a good win for either St Mirren of Hibs.

SMAXXA
21-01-2012, 12:00 PM
If we don't get this guy we are a joke - ST Mirren bigger than us thats joke.:flag:

Settle petal, if we dont get him we dont get him how does that make us a joke, it could be for a multitude of reasons he decides to stay, family settled there, they offered same cash as we did etc etc, comments like this IMO are stupid.

scoopyboy
21-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Have they asked him about it yet?
I only heard a bit once the game had started, can't imagine he hasn't been asked though.

Unless he asked them not to bring the subject up :greengrin

SMAXXA
21-01-2012, 12:06 PM
I only heard a bit once the game had started, can't imagine he hasn't been asked though.

Unless he asked them not to bring the subject up :greengrin

Lets get txtin Sportsound, ask Jim, ask Jim :greengrin on behalf of all the Hibees

archiebald
21-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Settle petal, if we dont get him we dont get him how does that make us a joke, it could be for a multitude of reasons he decides to stay, family settled there, they offered same cash as we did etc etc, comments like this IMO are stupid.

Ok so we are bigger but they can match us -he would have no ambition then
my comment is not stupid it is MY opinion this is what this site is about would not slag your opinion (petal)

joebakerforever
21-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Goodwin was asked on the radio re Hibs and confirmed that the club had notified their interest in him to St Mirren.

He admitted to being flattered by our interest, but diplomatically responded that he was concentrating on continuing to play for the Saints and probably would prefer the status quo pro tem.

SMAXXA
21-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Ok so we are bigger but they can match us -he would have no ambition then
my comment is not stupid it is MY opinion this is what this site is about would not slag your opinion (petal)

I think your missing the point here, if he doesnt join Hibs it doesnt nesecerily have anything to do with wages, size of club etc it may well be other factors that impact his decision. Again doesnt say anything sabout his ambition also, they are doing pretty well, we arnt, maybe a 2 year offer at Hibs for example aint gona fulfil his ambition or make much of an impact to his ambitions if he stays at St Mirren.

You said we are a joke, would you like to expand on this? Or is it purley you taking the view based on money and money alone on offer?

I also think if you read what I said "IMO comments like this are stupid" I didnt call you stupid or say your not entitled to your opinion, of course you are, I just disagree.

archiebald
21-01-2012, 12:26 PM
I think your missing the point here, if he doesnt join Hibs it doesnt nesecerily have anything to do with wages, size of club etc it may well be other factors that impact his decision. Again doesnt say anything sabout his ambition also, they are doing pretty well, we arnt, maybe a 2 year offer at Hibs for example aint gona fulfil his ambition or make much of an impact to his ambitions if he stays at St Mirren.You said we are a joke, would you like to expand on this? Or is it purley you taking the view based on money and money alone on offer?I also think if you read what I said "IMO comments like this are stupid" I didnt call you stupid or say your not entitled to your opinion, of course you are, I just disagree.We are a joke last 3 managers tell you that,have watched them now for 47 yrs home n away - it used to be big step up the ladder to play for Hibs so what happened st johnston dundee utd st mirren motherwell match our wages HOW ? they have much smaller crowds than us so were does money come from ? anybody will tell you have to speculate to accumulate-we dont even do this we sell our great youth players-my opinion must go leaving for match. Petrie must go - or stf sells

Jones28
21-01-2012, 12:27 PM
It's not about which club is bigger at the minute guys, I'd have thought it was fairly obvious to both Hibs and St Mirren supporters that Hibs are a bigger club than Saints, no disrespect to Saints as I think as a club they're are great, thats just the facts!

It's the situation that these clubs are in that will influence players decisions. If you are Jim Goodwin, you are captain of Saints, playing good football and winning games. Hibs are second bottom with declining crowds etc, but are bigger in terms of facilities and we have a lot more potential than St Mirren.

It's a difficult decision for him :dunno:

brydekirk
21-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Lennon says Goodwin is mulling over a pre contract with hibs, een.

I'm_cabbaged
21-01-2012, 12:34 PM
All this debating is why I prefer signings to just appear on the official site without anyone knowing about it.

archiebald
21-01-2012, 12:34 PM
It's not about which club is bigger at the minute guys, I'd have thought it was fairly obvious to both Hibs and St Mirren supporters that Hibs are a bigger club than Saints, no disrespect to Saints as I think as a club they're are great, thats just the facts!

It's the situation that these clubs are in that will influence players decisions. If you are Jim Goodwin, you are captain of Saints, playing good football and winning games. Hibs are second bottom with declining crowds etc, but are bigger in terms of facilities and we have a lot more potential than St Mirren.

It's a difficult decision for him :dunno: Yes agree - but if you really want him do you make a offer he cant refuse ?

SMAXXA
21-01-2012, 12:35 PM
We are a joke last 3 managers tell you that,have watched them now for 47 yrs home n away - it used to be big step up the ladder to play for Hibs so what happened st johnston dundee utd st mirren motherwell match our wages HOW ? they have much smaller crowds than us so were does money come from ? anybody you have to speculate to accumulate-we dont even do this we sell our great youth players-my opinion must go leaving for match

I dont disagree we have been in a mess the last few years but I didnt see that as your point, you said if we dont get Goodwin we are a joke and I disagreed with that comment as theres a number of factors that could dictate us not getting a player. It seemed to me your comment was a bit of a sweaping statement. Also if it is due to money, what if St Mirren have offered him a bumper deal, we have offered him what we feel he is worth he declines, we feel we wont increase if as for that wages we could get someone PF feels would be better, I dont know obviously but these are ther considerations im sure the club would go through and correctly so.

If we dont get him therer will be a section of fans who will be raging at the club, not me, I will be a bit disappointed, not massivley as I dont think hes exceptional but I feel he would be just what we need at the moment but if we can get through to the summer I would like to think we could get as good if not better.

Speculate to accumulate is an interesting one, we have probaly a bigger squad than UTD and St Johnstone and pay bigger wages, its probably just that the managers we have had in the past have spent these wages on players that are not good enough, therfore their fault no the clubs.

archiebald
21-01-2012, 12:41 PM
I dont disagree we have been in a mess the last few years but I didnt see that as your point, you said if we dont get Goodwin we are a joke and I disagreed with that comment as theres a number of factors that could dictate us not getting a player. It seemed to me your comment was a bit of a sweaping statement. Also if it is due to money, what if St Mirren have offered him a bumper deal, we have offered him what we feel he is worth he declines, we feel we wont increase if as for that wages we could get someone PF feels would be better, I dont know obviously but these are ther considerations im sure the club would go through and correctly so.

If we dont get him therer will be a section of fans who will be raging at the club, not me, I will be a bit disappointed, not massivley as I dont think hes exceptional but I feel he would be just what we need at the moment but if we can get through to the summer I would like to think we could get as good if not better.

Speculate to accumulate is an interesting one, we have probaly a bigger squad than UTD and St Johnstone and pay bigger wages, its probably just that the managers we have had in the past have spent these wages on players that are not good enough, therfore their fault no the clubs.

We only take players out of contract

Northernhibee
21-01-2012, 12:44 PM
It's maybe a good thing that we're having to wait on him, maybe a sign he won't be another mercenary that'll up sticks and leave because another team's offered him £50 a week more.

FWIW, I think he's the exact type of player we need and would free up Ozzy a bit more to create chances.

Dashing Bob S
21-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Nothing against Paisley Saints, they did sterling job back in 86 slamming Hearts 6-2 before the Yams went on that run, then dozing off against Celtic at Love Street on the last day of the season. They contributed more to wrecking the Yams title dream than St Albo the Superb. So without wishing to sound too Jambo and disrespectful about it, my bell end is bigger than St Mirren.

If Goodwin prefers them to us, it won't be due to the relative sizes of the clubs, it'll be down to wanting to play with players who put in some effort, can concentrate for 90 plus minutes, and think that winning games is actually quiet important. Let's not underestimate the power of five years of mediocrity on our recruitment attractiveness. Fenlon has a hell of a PR job on his hands to sell this team, not the club, the team, to prospective team mates at present.

SquashedFrogg
21-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Nothing against Paisley Saints, they did sterling job back in 86 slamming Hearts 6-2 before the Yams went on that run, then dozing off against Celtic at Love Street on the last day of the season. They contributed more to wrecking the Yams title dream than St Albo the Superb. So without wishing to sound too Jambo and disrespectful about it, my bell end is bigger than St Mirren.

If Goodwin prefers them to us, it won't be due to the relative sizes of the clubs, it'll be down to wanting to play with players who put in some effort, can concentrate for 90 plus minutes, and think that winning games is actually quiet important. Let's not underestimate the power of five years of mediocrity on our recruitment attractiveness. Fenlon has a hell of a PR job on his hands to sell this team, not the club, the team, to prospective team mates at present.

Just wait until players see our training facility though :cb

Dashing Bob S
21-01-2012, 12:55 PM
[/B]

Just wait until players see our training facility though :cb

I would say to Goodwin, come along tomorrow (Sunday) and have a look at the facilities. That way there won't be any players trying to train there and distract him.

SquashedFrogg
21-01-2012, 01:06 PM
I would say to Goodwin, come along tomorrow (Sunday) and have a look at the facilities. That way there won't be any players trying to train there and distract him.

The thing is, every new player obviously has a clause in their contract to mention the training facility (the Petrie Clause 3.14)

I wonder if they only get to see the dart board, 58" plasma, pool table etc

New signing - "what are they pitches over there for?"

Petrie - "Not sure pal, come and see the big bubble bath we've got though..."

Prof. Shaggy
21-01-2012, 01:23 PM
The thing is, every new player obviously has a clause in their contract to mention the training facility (the Petrie Clause 3.14)

You can't fool me, there ain't no Petrie Clause.
:greengrin

stokesmessiah
21-01-2012, 01:26 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16666381.stm

SquashedFrogg
21-01-2012, 01:42 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16666381.stm

"I'm enjoying my time here and I'm desperately trying to get back fit to get in the team, because I love playing for this club."

If I had a quid every time I heard this said.....