PDA

View Full Version : THIS is the turning point for Hibs

Northernhibee
15-01-2012, 02:11 AM
I mind the last time we played the Pars, the booing at FT was possibly the worst I've heard - Clueless Colin had left us in as bad a state as our squad has ever been. Rumours of big names leaving in the January window, a horrific run of form, no player on any real form, confidence shot to pieces. A distinct lack of both quality and quantity in the team, no right back.

Forward to now, just won against Dunfermline to a huge travelling support cheering all the way, Griffiths staying with us untill at least the end of the season (and in the summer window, hey? Who knows whether or not we'll retain him), rumours of Gaz signing a new deal with us, many players showing signs of recovering form and confidence, the likes of Doyle and Francomb arriving with perhaps Twigg, McPake and Hughes to follow, two wins in a row to give us a bit of momentum, injuries to Ozzy, Gaz, Stack healing quicker than expected to bring them back into the fray and contributing.

Fenlon looks to be a fantastic manager focusing on shipping out the negative influences on us ASAP and replacing with real quality, getting the backing of the fans and squad alike. BB looks like a wise old sage as a number two and O'Brien leads a new regime for the training staff.

I've got this real, tangible feeling that we're back on the up again, and I know a lot of people will say it's early days - and of course it is - but when you look back to CC's 1-0 defeat to Dunfermline that sealed his exit and compare it to Nutsy's 3-2 win today and the difference between the two, we've already come a long way, we have momentum and we're not going to get the results from every game that we want and players might make individual mistakes on the run in as we remember how to play as a proper force in the SPL, but we need support like we gave the team today.

****ing excited to be a Hibee at this moment in time, this HAS to be the turning point and if there was one man I'd choose to lead making the HAS a WILL, it's Nutsy.

GGTTH

Mikey_1875
15-01-2012, 02:32 AM
Certainly hope so, agree about fenlon, looking more and more like the man for the job! Can't wait for next weeks game already, and its been a while since I could say that!

carnoustiehibee
15-01-2012, 02:46 AM
Fenlon looks like he'll make us a team again.

Is there gona be any applause for rod for making such great appointment?

hibby67
15-01-2012, 06:14 AM
i hope this is a turning point.... next game against st johnstone at home with hopefully a new CH signed
if we can get another win then we could go to Ibrox with a bit of confidence and you never know..

certainly looking a lot brighter under PAT FENLON

GGTH....

SneakersO'Toole
15-01-2012, 07:07 AM
I think you should change the title of your thread to 'this HAS to be the turning point for Hibs'.

Nothing is certain yet. There is a long way to go. I just hope that the players have enough professionalism to not rest on their laurels and push on from here.

bigwheel
15-01-2012, 08:13 AM
We need to defend better to secure a decent finish to the season. So at least an improved Centre Half and one more midfielder required.

I really like the look of Fenlon as a manager. Making some bold decisions, more effort and perhaps more importantly more heart in the teams play ...

Its also a while since a sizeable Hibs support has been treated to a good result...a really important two weeks now could determine our season...

hibiedude
15-01-2012, 08:13 AM
The thing I saw yesterday was Hibs wanted a win unlike previous games were Hibs went out not to get beat.

Fenlon will turn Hibs into decent team again because I've been impressed with this guy since he arrived.

patlowe
15-01-2012, 08:31 AM
First off I think we should be wary of getting too excited about a win against a pretty poor dunfermline team. However, after reading the herald article with Fenlon, I couldn't help but feel things were on the turn this week. While a couple of players lack what it takes to play for hibs (which Fenlon has clearly identified), the whole team gave their all yesterday and the unity shown between the players, coaching staff and fans during and after the game really makes me believe that good times are ahead. Maybe not straight away, but soon.

Twa Cairpets
15-01-2012, 08:33 AM
I think you should change the title of your thread to 'this HAS to be the turning point for Hibs'.

Nothing is certain yet. There is a long way to go. I just hope that the players have enough professionalism to not rest on their laurels and push on from here.

Well aren't you just the little ray of sunshine.

Sometimes it's ok to be happy about the team you support.

hibby67
15-01-2012, 08:47 AM
I get the felling FENLON is starting to install a team sprit in Hibs.....
the team seem to be fighting more for each other and with the players interacting with the fans before and after the game he is trying to get the supporters united also.
we are all in this togeather one team so lets get behind the team and keep encouraging them........

:pfgwa

N.Wales Hibby
15-01-2012, 09:13 AM

Sometimes it's ok to be happy about the team you support.:agree:

Well said. Enjoy yesterday, we all deserve it.

--------
15-01-2012, 09:27 AM

Surely he had to get it right eventually? Law of averages - if you keep sacking the manager and appointing a new one every 18 months, sooner or later you'll find someone who can do the job.

Right now the best he can claim's 2 in 6 - hardly pass marks ...

:wink:

All the signs right now are encouraging, but I think I'd wait till we're really on the rise before I start making any predictions.

bingo70
15-01-2012, 09:33 AM

I like Fenlon and think he'll do a good job for us but without wanting to get too negative after a great win lets not get carried away, we beat a second division side last week and a poor dunfermline side this week so it's a bit early for the back slapping to start just yet, although the signs are definately encouraging.

Kaiser1962
15-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Surely he had to get it right eventually? Law of averages - if you keep sacking the manager and appointing a new one every 18 months, sooner or later you'll find someone who can do the job.

Right now the best he can claim's 2 in 6 - hardly pass marks ...

:wink:

All the signs right now are encouraging, but I think I'd wait till we're really on the rise before I start making any predictions.

I think the way he is clearing out those he feels are not buying ino his philosophy, and at a rate of knots previously unseen, is heartening. While who he brings is is unquestionably important I dont think we should play down the significance of who he's shipped out, and shipped out very quickly at that when previously they have hung about until their contracts expire.

As long as he's right of course :greengrin

greenlex
15-01-2012, 09:43 AM
A win next week and I will believe. Until then its just a scraped win against the SPL whipping boys. By tbe way I am delighted about it.

Spike Mandela
15-01-2012, 09:49 AM
We've won a battle not the war. Dunfermline have a game in hand and if the breaks in the game had gone their way yesterday we would have been having different discussions today. Whilst our confidence will be up and the future is promising we ain't out the relegation zone yet. No time to get complacent and i don't thnk PF will let that happen.

hibsbollah
15-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Ive liked Fenlon from day one and believed he would turn us around. Saying that, I never thought yesterdays game was as significant as some were making out. We could easily still have stayed in the league even if we had lost yesterday, and we can easily still go down despite yesterdays win.

All in all, still a happy clapper:aok:

:flag::flag::flag:

DaveF
15-01-2012, 09:54 AM
If we can bring in a couple of new players this week, that will give us a massive boost ahead of the next game and a win there really will push us on I think.

The defence is still a huge concern for me though, so no way am I getting too carried away. We are moving in the right direction, but a long, long way to go.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Better teams will still beat us in games where we are not dictating. The awareness at the back for set pieces should be the only thing that is worked on this week. Middle to front we have enough to get by. A decent five figure crowd next week at ER, and out of the traps early. Crowd behind the team from the get go and hopefully we give St Johnstone the seeing to that we are due them.

Sas_The_Hibby
15-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Ive liked Fenlon from day one and believed he would turn us around. Saying that, I never thought yesterdays game was as significant as some were making out. We could easily still have stayed in the league even if we had lost yesterday, and we can easily still go down despite yesterdays win.

All in all, still a happy clapper:aok:

:flag::flag::flag:

Well perhaps in the provisional wing of the happy clappers, I'd say. :greengrin

1two
15-01-2012, 11:03 AM
At some point between Dunfermline game and Dundee United on boxing day we hit rock bottom.
There's going to be more ups and down through the remainder of the season but I think we're turning that corner now.
Whether PF is the man to bring back top 6 challenges in seasons to come, I'm not sure. But I'm confident we're at least safe under his control.

Jones28
15-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Delgihted with the win yesterday, first time for a long time I've had a wee post match buzz :flag:

All the fans deserved that, created a terrific atmosphere and apart from a wee spell in the first half supported the team 100%

SneakersO'Toole
15-01-2012, 12:04 PM

Sometimes it's ok to be happy about the team you support.

Yesterday was probably the 1st time since we beat Hearts at tynie in May '09 that I seriously enjoyed an away game. The whole day was excellent and thoroughly enjoyable (albeit nerve-wrecking at the end).

However, I will stay realistic. We have achieved nothing and there are still a lot of points to play for.

I do believe that we should be looking at the teams above though. We have Aberdeen at home in a few weeks and if we win that and our game in hand then we are only 2points behind them. I hope the players share this mentality.

Sas_The_Hibby
15-01-2012, 12:55 PM
The risk would be that the players now think "job done".

However, I've a feeling Fenlon won't let them get away with that.

Dashing Bob S
15-01-2012, 01:22 PM

I think we'll continue to progress and Fenlon will continue to weed out the posing trolls and those of poor ability and replace them with the committed and those who can play a bit.

I agree with the previous poster who said boxing day was our rock bottom. Now we're heading up. I also think Fenlon isn't going to fanny around, he'll want the club back where it belongs ASAP, and he evidently has a game plan to make this happen.

We have a proper manager at the club again, thank f-u-c-k.

snooky
15-01-2012, 01:31 PM
I think we'll continue to progress and Fenlon will continue to weed out the posing trolls and those of poor ability and replace them with the committed and those who can play a bit.

I agree with the previous poster who said boxing day was our rock bottom. Now we're heading up. I also think Fenlon isn't going to fanny around, he'll want the club back where it belongs ASAP, and he evidently has a game plan to make this happen.

We have a proper manager at the club again, thank f-u-c-k.

Aye, and there will be hiccups on the way up - we can and will accept that.
All we need in the next couple of months are regular signs that we are improving and climbing out the abyss.
GGTTH

Dashing Bob S
15-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Aye, and there will be hiccups on the way up - we can and will accept that.
All we need in the next couple of months are regular signs that we are improving and climbing out the abyss.
GGTTH

Don't like the sound of this hiccups business. I was anticipating a smooth ride all the way to CL glory, picking up the elusive Scottish Cup and the SPL flag en route. Any sign of wobbles and I won't be back.

Northernhibee
15-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Thing is, the size of the crowd yesterday showed people still care about the club, and that's a hugely important thing.

BEEJ
15-01-2012, 02:56 PM

What 'job' would that be? The league table doesn't lie. Any professional footballer with an ounce of pride will want to build on this and make winning a habit once again.

After the hell this team has been through for the last two years, players tempted to 'sit back' on the basis of the last fortnight should be shown the door.

I don't think we have many left with that attitude.

Sas_The_Hibby
15-01-2012, 04:14 PM
What 'job' would that be? The league table doesn't lie. Any professional footballer with an ounce of pride will want to build on this and make winning a habit once again.

After the hell this team has been through for the last two years, players tempted to 'sit back' on the basis of the last fortnight should be shown the door.

I don't think we have many left with that attitude.

I agree with your first two paragraphs but there seems to be general consensus that too many of the squad up 'til now haven't had the right attitude. I'm not particularly sorry about any of the departures so far, but how do you know most of the remaining squad members have the right attitude? I don't know otherwise, BTW - it's a straight question.

BEEJ
15-01-2012, 05:16 PM
I agree with your first two paragraphs but there seems to be general consensus that too many of the squad up 'til now haven't had the right attitude. I'm not particularly sorry about any of the departures so far, but how do you know most of the remaining squad members have the right attitude? I don't know otherwise, BTW - it's a straight question.
TBH, I'd be utterly amazed if even those that left the club last week would have been so laid back as to imagine 'job done' at ER simply after the last two results. These guys were guilty of many things which is why they've been shown the door.

But any professional footballer iadopting that attitude at a club in our position and with our recent record would need serious psychiatric help, should be encouraged to get an education and ought to find another occupation - fast. :greengrin

yorkshire hib
15-01-2012, 06:32 PM
At some point between Dunfermline game and Dundee United on boxing day we hit rock bottom.
There's going to be more ups and down through the remainder of the season but I think we're turning that corner now.
Whether PF is the man to bring back top 6 challenges in seasons to come, I'm not sure. But I'm confident we're at least safe under his control.
good post. agree things can only get better