PDA

View Full Version : Comments about Gary O on BBC phone in

Halifaxhibby
14-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Some supposed journalist, an irish guy called Tom English was saying that Gary was sitting in the stand at the cowdenbeath game saying that his move to Rangers is a done deal and telling everyone how much he'll be getting paid a week. Is this just Gaz winding them up or anyone know any different????

:confused:

Pedantic_Hibee
14-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Garry's already preparing for his testimonial with Rangers as we speak. He's a walking version of Football Rumours.

Baldy Foghorn
14-01-2012, 05:43 PM
The OP seems to be what has been said about GOC all along, he is quick to tell anyone who will listen that he's offski....Should keep his own council, until any impending move actually occurs IMO

Antifa Hibs
14-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Regardless you could see what it meant to the big man today after his goal and at FT :aok:

Sir David Gray
14-01-2012, 05:46 PM
I heard that as well, and English and Jim Traynor were both quick to criticise O'Connor.

Does anyone not think that O'Connor was maybe just winding up people?

That's a few times I've heard about him allegedly going around telling people that he's signing for Rangers in the very near future. Wouldn't surprise me if he was just at it, so that he can see the response of people in the media and on places like this.

Halifaxhibby
14-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Don't know the guy but i'm hoping he's just a wind up merchant!!, seems to be getting enough bites off the clowns at the BBC!.

Pretty disrespectful to the club he supposedly supports if it is true.

Diclonius
14-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Don't know the guy but i'm hoping he's just a wind up merchant!!, seems to be getting enough bites off the clowns at the BBC!.

Pretty disrespectful to the club he supposedly supports if it is true.

Doesn't he support Celtic?

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-01-2012, 05:53 PM
PF has said as much in that his comments suggest that all these rumours are coming from GOC himself. Could be that GOC is making a point in that the more times a story is repeated it gets more credence.

glenn6270
14-01-2012, 05:53 PM
from what i heard gaz was not even at the game was spotted coming out harvey nics last sat just before kick off

The Harp
14-01-2012, 05:54 PM
I heard that as well, and English and Jim Traynor were both quick to criticise O'Connor.

That's a few times I've heard about him allegedly going around telling people that he's signing for Rangers in the very near future. Wouldn't surprise me if he was just at it, so that he can see the response of people in the media and on places like this.

Very unprofessional if that's the case (IMO). Seeing how emotional Rod got when Garry's name was mentioned at the last AGM, I'd have expected a bit more respect towards the Club from him. Glad he helped out with a goal today tho.

Keith_M
14-01-2012, 05:54 PM

:agree:

HibeeMassive
14-01-2012, 05:57 PM
from what i heard gaz was not even at the game was spotted coming out harvey nics last sat just before kick off

He was defo at the game last week, went in just before us

glenn6270
14-01-2012, 05:58 PM
ok no probs

Hibby70
14-01-2012, 05:59 PM
BBC Scotland radio is murder. Got back in the car after the game and in the hour it took to get home
25 mins talking about Sandaza
10 mins talking to Lennon & Wanyama
15 mins stating how bad we'd be off without Rangers
10 mins talking about other games (at most)

I'd like to get rid of the OF purely on the basis of not having to listed to them talk about them all the time.

leither17
14-01-2012, 06:05 PM
i couldnt care where he says he is going as long as he is here and is scoring goals like today ill have no complaints

Geo_1875
14-01-2012, 06:07 PM
He was defo at the game last week, went in just before us

Garry was at Cowdenbeath last Saturday. I doubt whether Tom English or Jim Traynor could find it on a map. They are simply reporting what was posted on this site during the last week. Lazy and incompetent reporting.

Andy74
14-01-2012, 06:11 PM
BBC Scotland radio is murder. Got back in the car after the game and in the hour it took to get home

I'd like to get rid of the OF purely on the basis of not having to listed to them talk about them all the time.

Traynor said the other teams wouldn't flourish without the money the OF bring in. That's right because we get so much of it now and wevarecall really flourishing.

Jack
14-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Garry was at Cowdenbeath last Saturday. I doubt whether Tom English or Jim Traynor could find it on a map. They are simply reporting what was posted on this site during the last week. Lazy and incompetent lournalism.

That's a l of a profession lournalism, speelling is so impotent :-D

erin go bragh
14-01-2012, 06:22 PM

In the match programe for the hearts game , his player profile when asked which team he supported as a kid, said hibs .

ggtth

Hibs Class
14-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Some supposed journalist, an irish guy called Tom English was saying that Gary was sitting in the stand at the cowdenbeath game saying that his move to Rangers is a done deal and telling everyone how much he'll be getting paid a week. Is this just Gaz winding them up or anyone know any different????

:confused:

I heard the early part of that programme but hadn't realised it was Tom English. He has rewritten a fair number of very accurate articles in the scotsman about hearts. Decent journalist.

Jim44
14-01-2012, 06:45 PM
IMO, Tom English often writes good stuff but lacks credibility because of the occasional nonsense he sometimes spouts.

stoneyburn hibs
14-01-2012, 06:55 PM
IMO, Tom English often writes good stuff but lacks credibility because of the occasional nonsense he sometimes spouts.

:agree: aye that is about right

Beefster
14-01-2012, 07:00 PM
According to O'Connor, he's been on the verge of a move to one of the Old Firm since he broke into the Hibs team. I wouldn't pay too much attention.

Jamesie
14-01-2012, 07:02 PM
I get the feeling O'Connor is a bit of a wind up merchant.

Irish_Steve
14-01-2012, 07:03 PM
That's a l of a profession lournalism, speelling is so impotent :-D

maybe he meant learnalism and once you learn spell words correctly, you can have a career in the print media

R'Albin
14-01-2012, 07:05 PM

I thought the exact same when I was listening :agree: I enjoy a lot of his articles but he slavers pish a lot of the time on Jim Traynor's phone-in.

stokesmessiah
14-01-2012, 07:06 PM
What confuses me about the GOC situation is PF's take on it. If what people on here are saying and indeed what was repeated on the radio is true then it does not really fit in with everything that we have seen and heard from PF.

No one can argue about the changes PF has been making to the squad and he has pretty much said what we all thought, these guys did not bring the right attitude and level of professionalism to Hibs. How does the supposed behaviour of GOC fit into all this? Would he really let him be kicking about getting fat and tellling all and sundry that he is off to the Huns??? Confusing !

GreenCastle
14-01-2012, 07:12 PM
From December - bit in bold - strange - Fenlon is aware of it :confused: Anyway if he keeps scoring then I will keep enjoying his goals - would like him to stay though :thumbsup:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2011/12/27/garry-o-connor-is-going-nowhere-says-hibs-manager-pat-fenlon-86908-23662955/ (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2011/12/27/garry-o-connor-is-going-nowhere-says-hibs-manager-pat-fenlon-86908-23662955/)

HIBS manager Pat Fenlon is optimistic Garry O'Connor will be fit to return for tomorrow's clash with Inverness and downplayed the prospect of the striker moving to Rangers.

O'Connor netted 10 times in his first 11 games after re-signing for Hibs following spells at Lokomotiv Moscow, Birmingham and Barnsley.The 28-year-old, who trained with Celtic while he was a free agent towards the end of last season, has not scored since September and has been troubled by a toe injury of late.But he has been the subject of speculation linking him with a January move to Ibrox.Fenlon today insisted the former Scotland international is key to his plans, as 11th-placed Hibs seek to reduce the four-point deficit to Caley Thistle in tomorrow's match.He told Hibernian TV: "Big clubs like Rangers and Celtic will always be linked with good players - I think Garry started it himself in fairness."He's a big part of the plans here he's a good player and the supporters love him and he loves the club."He's the type of character that you want to stay around. He's the top goalscorer and he's played at a really high level."We want to hold onto our best players. I've heard the rumour but that is all it is at the moment."O'Connor missed Saturday's 3-1 loss at Dundee United, resting a toe complaint which has restricted his movement, but could return tomorrow night.Fenlon added: "He's had five or six days' off now and he trained this morning and he looked a lot more comfortable in his movement and his running."

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................................

Albion Hibs
14-01-2012, 07:12 PM
I have heard from a couple of people that I would take to be in the know that he constantly rattles on about this sort of stuff, so much so he has probably convinced himself that he is actually getting a move.

While he is a hibs player and scoring goals I dont really care, if he gets his move and we get some cash then fine. So long as we dont have another stokes situation whereby we sell our goals on the final day of the transfer window.

coco22
14-01-2012, 07:13 PM
garry o has drifted in and out of class and pish this season. no mistaking though, if he wants a sniff of old firm fitba he needs to shift some weight and up the workrate (and could do with cutting down on the spray tans as well - thought jimmy calderwood back at east end warming up from a distance:wink:)

GreenCastle
14-01-2012, 07:14 PM

:agree:

Old Firm is the death of the Scottish Game

Hibernia Na Eir
14-01-2012, 10:48 PM
like to know what a £100,000 insurance fraud brings......A switch to Ibrox would be behind a 5 month stretch in Saughton me thinks.

sooner he and MacKay get their heads round this the better!

The Harp Awakes
14-01-2012, 10:59 PM

Spot on. Anyone who knows Garry, will testify he's a blether. Don't doubt how much Hibs mean to him. He donated a proportion of his transfer fee to Hibs youth when he last left us which not many players have done over the years. Garry O'Connor in a Rangers strip doesn't ring true to me. I suspect he may be pulling some folks plonkers and they took the bait:agree:

frazeHFC
14-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Today before the game we were singing 'GOC he's one of our own' and 'sign a new deal' etc and he shouted something and put his thumb up, sadly no idea what he said?

Hibernia Na Eir
14-01-2012, 11:02 PM
radio Scotland talked about possible New deal...

Pedantic_Hibee
14-01-2012, 11:14 PM
With the greatest of respect to Garry, he's failed at every club he's been at apart from Hibs (in fairness, he done ok in Russia on the pitch but off it he wasn't enjoying it).

It may be in his best interests to sign a new deal at Hibs and stick around for a few years. He's 28 now I think, he could be at Easter Road for a couple of years and potentially have one last big pay day down south or abroad down the line.

Right now, I get the impression he needs to be settled, comfortable and working under a manager who can handle him with the required arm round the shoulder / fit up the arse when it's required. And most importantly, he needs to be at a club where the fans love him and can forgive his oft alleged misdemeanours. He is one of our own, nailing his colours to the mast will put to bed a lot of the negative comments surrounding him, most which he apparently brings on himself with his off-the-record comments and alleged lifestyle.

The Harp Awakes
14-01-2012, 11:14 PM
radio Scotland talked about possible New deal...

Hope so and certainly a possibility. Garry for his own good needs a bit of stability now. Garry if you are reading this, get your court case sorted and come back and be a legend with the Hibees:flag:

carnoustiehibee
14-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Maybe under calderwood he was all set to leave but under fenlon, who maybe has given him a boot up the erse. Has realised at this time hibs is the best place to be. Nuckle down, see out the season and put himself out for a move down south.

IWasThere2016
14-01-2012, 11:59 PM
He made a draw into a victory IMHO .. He was immense.

7 Hills
15-01-2012, 12:45 AM
I saw Garry O'Connor kiss the badge and touch his heart right in front of Hibs fans at the Dunfermline game, and as a jaded old Hibee, it felt completely genuine on his part to me! I heard Tom English's allegations about Garry spouting off about a move to the Huns at Cowdenbeath last week - if he'd been doing that, I'd have thought it would've been all over the Internet on the Sunday?!

Northernhibee
15-01-2012, 12:58 AM
Everything feels like it's beginning to fall into place for us at the right time. Calderwood left us an utter, utter state, and the results and squad showed that.

We've now got the right manager (and I firmly believe that time will show the best in the SPL right now), great new players coming in, key players like Ozzy, Sparky and Gaz coming back into form, Ivan beginning to act like a leader on and off the pitch - it's beginning to be an exciting time to be a Hibee again.

Contrast the FT whistle today against Dunfermline to the FT whistle last time we played them - the marathon is barely a quarter run, but we've come a long way under Fenlon already.

GGTTH :pfgwa:flag::flag::flag:

Sammy7nil
15-01-2012, 01:07 AM
I saw Garry O'Connor kiss the badge and touch his heart right in front of Hibs fans at the Dunfermline game, and as a jaded old Hibee, it felt completely genuine on his part to me! I heard Tom English's allegations about Garry spouting off about a move to the Huns at Cowdenbeath last week - if he'd been doing that, I'd have thought it would've been all over the Internet on the Sunday?!

Before today I hoped he would just go , big fat arsse and not done anything for weeks his 2nd touch is normally a tackle.

Then he blasts in the goal kisses his badge and you wish he would buckle down work hard and become a legend.

It is up to Gary what he wants please work hard and stay a Hibby

joe breezy
15-01-2012, 03:01 AM
Anyone know when the court case is?

That does seem to have the potential for a custodial sentence...

tamig
15-01-2012, 04:04 AM
Maybe under calderwood he was all set to leave but under fenlon, who maybe has given him a boot up the erse. Has realised at this time hibs is the best place to be. Nuckle down, see out the season and put himself out for a move down south.

That was the plan behind the deal. However, maybe he is comfortable that Hibs - and more to the point RP - are helping him get back on the straight and narrow and sees signing a new deal at ER as a way of repaying the Club. Would be wonderful if that was the case.

Niffy
15-01-2012, 04:12 AM
Before today I hoped he would just go , big fat arsse and not done anything for weeks his 2nd touch is normally a tackle.

Then he blasts in the goal kisses his badge and you wish he would buckle down work hard and become a legend.

It is up to Gary what he wants please work hard and stay a Hibby

Snap.

hibby67
15-01-2012, 04:48 AM
To me i would not give him a new contract yet..
i would wait until the outcome of any court case that might happen (if he is still a free man) i would then get RP/PF to sit down with him find out where his head is at.... if he wants to settle down and is happy being back in east lothian (gods county) and playing for us then pull out all the stops and offer him a good contract and get him signed up...

but if his still trying to chase the big move and big bucks then thanks him for what he's done wish him all the best and send him on his way

i personaly hope it's the first option....

Bayern Bru
15-01-2012, 07:51 AM
Tom English has won awards for sports writing and is very highly regarded by many in several circles.

Just because someone speaks the truth, or says something you don't agree with, doesn't mean they're spouting nonsense. He has long been very fair and accurate about Hibs and Scottish football in general, far more than a lot of others.

.Sean.
15-01-2012, 07:52 AM
In the match programe for the hearts game , his player profile when asked which team he supported as a kid, said hibs .

ggtthHe's a known spraff, he also said he was a Hibby when he re-signed in the Summer. It's common knowledge round this way he's a Celtic fan mate but no doubt he'll have a Hibs leaning too.

lucky
15-01-2012, 08:11 AM
He is seriously overweight. Needs to focus on his fitness and become the player we all he can. Whether he stays or goes he has sort out his life or he will end up on the scrapheap

killie-hibby
15-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Tom English has won awards for sports writing and is very highly regarded by many in several circles.

Just because someone speaks the truth, or says something you don't agree with, doesn't mean they're spouting nonsense. He has long been very fair and accurate about Hibs and Scottish football in general, far more than a lot of others.

Within the BBC Scotland Sportscene/Sportsound team of cronnies Tom English is a rarity in that he is a qualified journalist, and unique in that he describes Levein as being childish and self centred regards his refusal to select Steven Fletcher.

weonlywon6-2
15-01-2012, 02:54 PM

having met o`connor a couple of times i would say so,or hope so!!:pfgwa

silverhibee
15-01-2012, 03:03 PM

He has being doing if for weeks and it is all over the internet, even our manager has spoken about him moving to the buns, saying all the rumours are coming from Gaz himself.

basehibby
15-01-2012, 03:08 PM

:agree: GOC has been blethering on about OF/EPL club A, B or C being in for him at 20 odd grand a week for as long as I can remember.

I think he just gets a kick out of it - seeing how long it takes to make the papers etc.

No probs with me as long as he keeps banging them in for the Hibees :thumbsup:

silverhibee
15-01-2012, 03:24 PM
He's a known spraff, he also said he was a Hibby when he re-signed in the Summer. It's common knowledge round this way he's a Celtic fan mate but no doubt he'll have a Hibs leaning too.

As a young lad he was a celtc supporter and still like's to go along to darkheid and watch his boyhood team play, yes he will have a liking for Hibs, but he is a bhoy at heart.

silverhibee
15-01-2012, 03:34 PM

Tom English said that he had it on good authority that GOC was sitting in the main stand at Cowdenbeath telling folk around him that he would be a Rangers player this window, he went on to say that not only was he moving to them he was also telling them what wage's he would be getting.

I dont think Tom English would say something like that unless his information was 100% spot on. :agree:

Hibbyradge
15-01-2012, 03:37 PM
I think Gary's just trying to unsettle Rangers! :greengrin

silverhibee
15-01-2012, 03:42 PM

No.

If he doesn't end up at Rangers this month then he is going to look a bit on the silly side to a lot of people.

What a stupid way to wind people up FH, dont you think.

matty_f
15-01-2012, 03:57 PM
I think Gary's just trying to unsettle Rangers! :greengrin

:tee hee:

Holmesdale Hibs
15-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Tom English said that he had it on good authority that GOC was sitting in the main stand at Cowdenbeath telling folk around him that he would be a Rangers player this window, he went on to say that not only was he moving to them he was also telling them what wage's he would be getting.

I dont think Tom English would say something like that unless his information was 100% spot on. :agree:

:agree: I would be very surprised if what Tom English said wasn't true.

Whether GOC is joining the huns or not, he should not be saying that. Its unprofessional and disrespectful to Hibs and, if he is joining the huns, they won't be too happy about him telling everyone what wage he's on. Don't see what he achieves by telling people that.

Iggy Pope
15-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Most of English's writing is interesting enough but I have to say that he comes across as something of a trumpet on the Radio.
His written journalism exceeds anything that comes from that balloon Traynor, so why he lowers himself to sharing the phone in Platform with him is beyond me.

I listened to this yesterday on the way home and his GOC revelations struck me as the same sort of 'good authority' excrament that we get on here from time to time.

So I switched it off.

Heckys Wheel
15-01-2012, 07:56 PM
In his first time at Hibs, he walked round the dressing room on 3 different occasions shaking hands with his team mates saying his goodbyes.

He's not at the wind up and he's not leaking secret info. He's just a slaver.

HibbyAndy
15-01-2012, 08:02 PM
I knew Garry when he was 18 and drinking in 'Crosskeys' In Tranent.

Renound for slavering pish, Celtic fan but loves the Hibees.

Gets way way to much stick on here whatever team he supports...Another player id love to see sign on at ER.

Dalianwanda
15-01-2012, 08:06 PM
I still remember in the Cube in Musselburgh after Hearts beat us. Gary O spouting off about off about how he wasnt bothered as he was moving (Ive forgotten the team) but it sickened me..

snooky
15-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Spot on. Anyone who knows Garry, will testify he's a blether. Don't doubt how much Hibs mean to him. He donated a proportion of his transfer fee to Hibs youth when he last left us which not many players have done over the years. Garry O'Connor in a Rangers strip doesn't ring true to me. I suspect he may be pulling some folks plonkers and they took the bait:agree:

That's my take on it too - he's getting a buzz from the big wind up.

The jury's still out on the donation part. (Did he or didn't he donate?)
Maybe Gaz started that rumour too :wink:

hibbysam
16-01-2012, 08:05 AM
He's a known spraff, he also said he was a Hibby when he re-signed in the Summer. It's common knowledge round this way he's a Celtic fan mate but no doubt he'll have a Hibs leaning too.

100% correct Sean. Never forget standing speaking to him on port seton high street not long after hibs played Celtic and Garry was walking about with henrik larsson's top on. Definite Celtic fan but will obviously have very big leanings towards hibs for the chances they've given him.