PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely raging

CallumLaidlaw
14-01-2012, 04:18 PM
We were right in front of the O 'Connor penalty incident and it was an absolute stonewall penalty. How the ref can think otherwise is beyond me. Mind you, the referee was absolutely honking. Refused to let the game flow, booked griffiths for kicking the ball away when 2 pars players done the same earlier. Booked Stephens for consistent fouling when I don't think he was climbing on any of the fouls.

We seem to be saying it every week but the officiating against us is horrific!

stokesmessiah
14-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Usually the case that things never go for you when you are this end of the table, possibly because as fans we become more desperate for points that we contest everything and possibly have a different perception.

woodythehibee
14-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Agree with the initial post. Also, there is no reason for GOC to go down there. Poor refereeing

CallumLaidlaw
14-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Agree with the initial post. Also, there is no reason for GOC to go down there. Poor refereeing

That's exactly what I said. He had turned the man so was straight through on the keeper

Littlest Hobo
14-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Commentator on BBC Scotland thought it was a dive??

greenlex
14-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Who was it? The online guys thought Pen. Stephen Glass was one of them. Who was Open all Michaels?

CallumLaidlaw
14-01-2012, 04:35 PM

And the BBC commentators have been glowing in their hibs references this season

Sas_The_Hibby
14-01-2012, 04:38 PM
We were right in front of the O 'Connor penalty incident and it was an absolute stonewall penalty. How the ref can think otherwise is beyond me. Mind you, the referee was absolutely honking. Refused to let the game flow, booked griffiths for kicking the ball away when 2 pars players done the same earlier. Booked Stephens for consistent fouling when I don't think he was climbing on any of the fouls.

We seem to be saying it every week but the officiating against us is horrific!

Don't think it's particularly against us,TBH: I just think a lot of the officiating is terrible in general and works for and against us. Didn't see today's incident but I do think referees have now decided that if O'Connor goes down in the box he must be diving, which, if it is the case, means defenders can foul him in the box with impunity: do it twice and they get him sent off as a bonus! :rolleyes:

H18sry
14-01-2012, 04:40 PM

Steven Glass co-commentating thought it was a pen :agree:

Hibs Class
14-01-2012, 04:44 PM

Open all mikes guys said it was a pen. Is that 2 or 3 times now that Gary has been wrongly booked for diving?

IWasThere2016
14-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Stonewaller. He did the boy and was ready to score IMO. He did go down too dramatically tho.

duffers
14-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Thought the referee was rank rotten for both teams. As for the penalty, pretty confident it wasn't a dive, but if he had managed to stay up, he would have had a free shot at goal.

SkintHibby
14-01-2012, 04:50 PM
This is what happens though when a player has previous for diving - it tends to stop a player getting future stonewallers.

Mickeyloonytunes is an example.

greenlex
14-01-2012, 04:53 PM
This is what happens though when a player has previous for diving - it tends to stop a player getting future stonewallers.

Mickeyloonytunes is an example.
He hasnt dived though. Ever. Trial by Media.

SkintHibby
14-01-2012, 04:55 PM

We know that but some players get a reputation, deserved or not.:agree:

Sir David Gray
14-01-2012, 04:56 PM
I was right behind the incident and it was a definite penalty. The defender stuck his leg out and caught O'Connor.

To turn down the penalty appeal was bad enough, to book O'Connor for diving was disgraceful.

Unfortunately his number's been marked by referees after such a big deal was made of his apparent dive against St. Johnstone.

That shouldn't be the way they look at things though.

SanFranHibs
14-01-2012, 05:02 PM
3 for dissent, 2 for sucking their thumbs !

What has happened to the good old studs up tackles or professional fouls?

Or we should at least convert to the modern school and pick up a racial abuse card or two. :wink:

Were the 5 yellows merited?

Hibs Class
14-01-2012, 05:02 PM
I was right behind the incident and it was a definite penalty. The defender stuck his leg out and caught O'Connor.

To turn down the penalty appeal was bad enough, to book O'Connor for diving was disgraceful.

Unfortunately his number's been marked by referees after such a big deal was made of his apparent dive against St. Johnstone.

Point is though that the St J incident was extensively scrutinised and he was judged to have not dived, yet since than he has been treated harshly by a number of refs. You can bet as well that the only thing that will wipe the slate clean is if he leaves us for the huns.

StevieC
14-01-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm pretty sure it was a pen from where I was sitting. Looked like the defender caught his leading foot and prevented O'Connor from cutting back across him.
However, the problem lies with the dramatic way O'Connor throws himself down in these situations and he has done himself (and Hibs) no favours at all from that aspect.
The highlights, and pundits perception, will be interesting.

whiskyhibby
14-01-2012, 05:05 PM

Correct the defender did but GOC went down in slo mo and it looked a definately dive to me in row U seat 46 so right in line with Gary

Dirkster23
14-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Stonewaller. He did the boy and was ready to score IMO. He did go down too dramatically tho.

Aye, didn't help by throwing himself down but there was clear contact and a pen all the way. Ref had a howler today and gave us nothing.

silverhibee
14-01-2012, 05:08 PM

thats why i think he booked him, looked like the sniper in the stand got a great shot and Gaz went down like he had been shot.

Still looked a penalty.

Littlest Hobo
14-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Who was it? The online guys thought Pen. Stephen Glass was one of them. Who was Open all Michaels?

It was whoever was commentating on OAM. They said it at least three times whoever they were that they thought it wasn't a penalty and that O'Conner went down too easily.

coco22
14-01-2012, 05:12 PM

i too think it was a pen but nae need to fling the arms in the air and make it appear worse than the
blatant clumsy challenge it was. ref was poor today but we need to stop giving away as many needless fouls in our half (poor reffing aside). great support today as well.

lucky
14-01-2012, 05:26 PM
I was right behind the incident and it was a pen. But GOC went down in installments

Halifaxhibby
14-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Been witness to some dreadful officiating over the years but that performance from the ref today was unbelievable, really starting to think there is an SFA conspiracy, not necessarily against us but to try and keep the league alive both at the top and the bottom. After all its not about the football anymore its a business and they're trying to make it more interesting to the outsider, maybe to sell it as a package for lucrative TV rights, makes sense eh?. Don't think the pars could believe there luck today in the first half, time after time stephens was punished for next to nothing, the challenge on sparky when sproule got booked for me merited a booking but the guy didn't even get spoken to.

As for BBC radio scotland, the standard of journalism is dire, they have nothing interesting to say about any team outwith the bigot brothers, the post match interview with Sandaza never once mentioned any part of todays game, it was all about his so called move to Rangers, time after time they quizzed him on the same question then tried to slate him for his 'pigeon' english!. Poor pathetic lazy journalism. Then one of them proceeded to say that because rangers couldn't afford 300k for sandaza now that Scottish football was in a terrible state. If they hadn't tried to avoid paying due taxes and been found out maybe they'd have some dough!!!.

As for us today well done to the guys for grinding out the victory, thought apart from the two full backs we played not too badly today.

Keep up the momentum now Hibs!!!

Another cracking turn out from the fans today, take a bow each and every one of you!!!!

:thumbsup:

GGTTH

FTHOMFC

IWasThere2016
14-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Top post Halifax :thumbsup:

HIBEES! HIBEES! HIBEES!

:pfgwa:

Tricla
14-01-2012, 05:32 PM

:top marks

Baldy Foghorn
14-01-2012, 05:38 PM
There was contact no doubt, but GOC made a meal of it with the swan dive, unfortunately his reputation proceeds him, therefore the referee thought he was being conned......

Andy74
14-01-2012, 05:40 PM

He has made the most of things though. You can be fouled and also dive at the same time which is what he does.

cabbageandribs1875
14-01-2012, 05:41 PM
certainly looked like contact was made, i'l reserve judgement after i've saw it on the tellybox, also thought sparky's yellow was a tad harsh :agree: lost count of how many times sparky and gazza thumped the badge on their jerseys, they trying to tell us sommit :greengrin oh and p.s. great hibs support(including in the overflow stand):aok:

pedroorange1875
14-01-2012, 05:54 PM
He has made the most of things though. You can be fouled and also dive at the same time which is what he does.

Literally thousands of Old Firm penalties and fouls given in those exact circumstances though...

HiBremian
14-01-2012, 07:08 PM
There was contact no doubt, but GOC made a meal of it with the swan dive, unfortunately his reputation proceeds him, therefore the referee thought he was being conned......

So refs now put more effort into studying the aesthetics of the dive than the actual foul. Maybe they've been watching too much Swan Lake...or Monty Python.

JimBHibees
14-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Literally thousands of Old Firm penalties and fouls given in those exact circumstances though...

Completely agree, it really does depend what strip you where. I think you need to ask yourself the question, would a Celtc or Rangers player be booked in the same circumstances that GOC is now being judged. Not a chance in hell.

He has been marked with the refs in their training session no doubt whispering and joking about getting him. Todays one and the ICT one were both penalties. We will notice the difference if he goes to Rangers.

ALF TUPPER
14-01-2012, 07:24 PM

Yeah. Agree with you there BF. While it was defo a pen IMO - Gary was milking it big time as he was going down. Had he not done that he might have got his pen.

GreenCastle
14-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Looked like a pen :agree:

Ref was miles away and incident was opposite side from assistant ref.

Ref was poor today - for both teams - but gave more against Hibs.

I rarely blame the refs but he made some strange ones - like the incident with 5 mins to go with LG and Galbraith had the ball in the corner - gave a freekick and he wasn't offside ? ?

Carheenlea
14-01-2012, 07:38 PM
I was quite high up in line with the incident, and looked like he would have been better trying to stay on his feet and having a crack at goal.

brog
14-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Haven't seen today's yet but his booking at Pittodrie was ludicrous as is the fact you can't appeal against a booking. Wouldn't surprise me if PF came out with a comment re GOC's unfair treatment, it's getting beyond a joke.

The Green Machine
14-01-2012, 07:52 PM
I think most people are missing the point! If the referee had been watching the whole play instead of looking at the players reaction he would have seen it was a blatant penalty i was behind it and the Dunfermline player definitely fouled GO`C regardless whether he went down like he`d been shot by a sniper. Ref was very poor

R'Albin
14-01-2012, 07:55 PM
It looked to me like he got tripped, but agree he makes it look far too dramatic, he looks like bloody superman. You can't really tell if there was any contact in this though..

http://www.snspix.com/5911579/print/5911579.html

EasterRoad4Ever
14-01-2012, 08:25 PM

GOC made it look worse than it did, giving the ref an excuse to avoid giving a pen - when he didn't have to. Simple facts are:

1. GOC WAS plainly fouled in the box and a pen should have been given - really poor refereeing that could have cost us the game.
2. GOC had nutmegged the defender brilliantly to open up the goal - why would he dive if not impeded ?

If the refs in Scotland were any good at all, GOC would not have had to try "make the most of the foul". But we have crap refs who need to see blood before they can make a decision - unless its the OF of course :)

The Green Machine
14-01-2012, 08:33 PM
GOC made it look worse than it did, giving the ref an excuse to avoid giving a pen - when he didn't have to. Simple facts are:

1. GOC WAS plainly fouled in the box and a pen should have been given - really poor refereeing that could have cost us the game.
2. GOC had nutmegged the defender brilliantly to open up the goal - why would he dive if not impeded ?

If the refs in Scotland were any good at all, GOC would not have had to try "make the most of the foul". But we have crap refs who need to see blood before they can make a decision - unless its the OF of course :)

Well said

CallumLaidlaw
14-01-2012, 08:41 PM
It looked to me like he got tripped, but agree he makes it look far too dramatic, he looks like bloody superman. You can't really tell if there was any contact in this though..

http://www.snspix.com/5911579/print/5911579.html

Look where the pars players leg is. No attempt to pull it back

R'Albin
14-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Look where the pars players leg is. No attempt to pull it back

:agree: I think he makes connection with the left leg as well, no idea why O'Connor would pass away the oppurtunity to have an effort from that far out at the risk of being booked.

.Sean.
14-01-2012, 08:51 PM
The boy who cried wolf springs to mind. Thought he was poor.

Winston Ingram
14-01-2012, 08:54 PM

Agreed. He had a shot fae 7 yards.

CallumLaidlaw
14-01-2012, 08:56 PM
The boy who cried wolf springs to mind. Thought he was poor.

Really?? When did he cry wolf exactly?? And yeah, his finish finish for the 2nd goal was really poor

ekhibee
14-01-2012, 09:33 PM

Agree that it was definitely a penalty, but there was nothing disgraceful about O'Connor being booked, it was right in front of me too,and he was far too theatrical, not to mention the fact that I think he should have scored anyway. just my opinion though, and obviously glad we won anyway.

HibbyRod
14-01-2012, 10:11 PM
I had a great view of the incident as it was right in front of me.

It definitely was a penalty!

However, Garry's ridiculous dive after the contact from the defender was excrutiatingly embarrassing. :rolleyes:

I'm sure the ref was influenced by this, and robbed us of a 2 goal lead near the end of the game.

Scored a cracking goal earlier tho! :thumbsup:

Judas Iscariot
14-01-2012, 10:43 PM
So let me get this straight...

GOC is clearly fouled, tripped, impeded etc

He then goes down like almost EVERY player in EVERY other league in the world bar te SPL and that's enough to constitute, 1. Not giving a penalty, 2. Booking GOC for diving & 3. Officials, reporters & our own fans labelling him a "diver"?!

Very good indeed :rolleyes:

CallumLaidlaw
14-01-2012, 10:48 PM

He then goes down like almost EVERY player in EVERY other league in the world bar te SPL and that's enough to constitute, 1. Not giving a penalty, 2. Booking GOC for diving & 3. Officials, reporters & our own fans labelling him a "diver"?!

It's ok JI, there's been fans for months desperate to label GOC as a diver, when the only time he was pulled up for it, he was cleared by a SPL panel due to the video evidence shown by Hibernian FC. any opportunity to stick the boot into one of our own players tho!

I'll also say, I do believe o Connor has been touting himself around to get a better wage elsewhere, as we all expected would happen when he signed in the summer, BUT, I still think the club is important to him. The result seemed to mean a lot to him, ivan, and Griffiths today.

Scouse Hibee
14-01-2012, 10:53 PM

Nah it more like Tom Daly :greengrin

Albion Hibs
14-01-2012, 11:01 PM
The standard of ref in this league is nothing short of a disgrace, these guys clearly have no pride in their job. Whether it be big decisions like penatlies, red cards etc or where a free kick or thown is taken from, the could not get the right answer is they have a team and an instant replay at the sidelines.

There have been some very big decisions that have gone against us recently, dont get me wrong we dont deserve to be in third but - the Aberdeen penalty, and red card against the hertz are two that cost us points in as many weeks.

I think O'Connor was fouled and it should have been a pen. I was in the main stand today so have a decent view. What I would say is that O'Connor is terrible at going down, I think someone could take a pole to his legs and it would still look like over-acting. He needs to get better at going down properly.

In addition the St J, at easter road, which was about a million years ago, if refs are targeting him they should be doing it properly. I very much hope the club is putting together a DVD and passing it to the committee of rangers and celtic fans that look into these things.

Whilst today did not affect the out come of the game, that is the 2nd yellow he has been given, for what in my view, was a pen. If he ends up taking a suspension we will have lost yet again, like when the boy at aberdeen dived (then had his red card taken back) and when the jambo grunt got a red card three days after the game.......SPL farce.

It is all fair and well these fat cats bleating on about a new TV deal, how about they improve the standard of their employees to give the clubs in the league a chance of doing the same.

Rant over.....still a very happy man tonight, and looking forward to a drunken day at the darts tomorrow!

Sir David Gray
14-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Agree that it was definitely a penalty, but there was nothing disgraceful about O'Connor being booked, it was right in front of me too,and he was far too theatrical, not to mention the fact that I think he should have scored anyway. just my opinion though, and obviously glad we won anyway.

You agree that we should have got a penalty but you don't think the fact that O'Connor was instead booked for diving was disgraceful? :confused:

Scouse Hibee
14-01-2012, 11:12 PM
You agree that we should have got a penalty but you don't think the fact that O'Connor was instead booked for diving was disgraceful? :confused:

I see what he means, it was clear, to us anyway that it was a penalty, however I can see why O'Connor's theatrical fall may have mislead the ref into believing that he dived.

CallumLaidlaw
14-01-2012, 11:23 PM
What annoys me is, this new god, the compliance officer, is quick to jump in with bans for players retrospectively, but I bet there's not much chance of removing cards that shouldn't have been. It should be a 2 way street!!

Sir David Gray
14-01-2012, 11:26 PM
What annoys me is, this new god, the compliance officer, is quick to jump in with bans for players retrospectively, but I bet there's not much chance of removing cards that shouldn't have been. It should be a 2 way street!!

To be fair to him, I don't think there's actually anything within the rules of football which allows him to remove yellow cards retrospectively.

Could be wrong though. :dunno:

.Sean.
15-01-2012, 07:56 AM
Really?? When did he cry wolf exactly?? And yeah, his finish finish for the 2nd goal was really poor

Diving and attempting to and claiming penalties previosly? Y'know that's not the first time he's been done?

I thought it was a peno - He's got a wee rep as a diver now though so no ref's gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and it's his own fault.

matty_f
15-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Maybe if ref's gave fouls when players are fouled and try to stay on their feet then players would be less inclined to go down on contact.

CallumLaidlaw
15-01-2012, 08:25 AM
Diving and attempting to and claiming penalties previosly? Y'know that's not the first time he's been done?

I thought it was a peno - He's got a wee rep as a diver now though so no ref's gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and it's his own fault.

So because he's been booked previously that means it was a dive on that occasion? Personally it was similar to yesterday's. Was a foul but the way he went down didn't help

bingo70
15-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Maybe if ref's gave fouls when players are fouled and try to stay on their feet then players would be less inclined to go down on contact.

Totally agree, people always quite rightly get annoyed by players diving, however as you say if a players fouled they only get the free kick when he goes down.

I've not got too much sympathy for GoC though, there's been a few times when he's chucked himself down too easily, even the one against st johnstone he was cleared of i still think he was guilty, just cos there's contact there isn't any need to go down the way he does.

CallumLaidlaw
15-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Totally agree, people always quite rightly get annoyed by players diving, however as you say if a players fouled they only get the free kick when he goes down.

I've not got too much sympathy for GoC though, there's been a few times when he's chucked himself down too easily, even the one against st johnstone he was cleared of i still think he was guilty, just cos there's contact there isn't any need to go down the way he does.

Hibs explained at a fans forum that they took their own video evidence along to O'connors appeal that day, and while everyone was going on about whether or not he was tripped, the the angle of the hibs footage showed that it was more to do with his upper body being blocked off. Something you couldn't see from the other camera angles that the tv showed. This is why he was cleared

Geo_1875
15-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Garry was definitely fouled so his reaction should not have any influence on the referees decision.

What annoyed me more was the ridiculous incident near the end when the referee stopped play for treatment to a Pars player who went down in front of Hibs penalty area. He decided to restart play with a bounce up in front of Hibs area when we had taken the ball out wide and let them contest it. It should have taken place where the ball was when he stopped play and he should have got the Pars player to knock it back to Hibs.

Either cheating or incompetence. I know what I think.

brog
15-01-2012, 09:25 AM
We've only had one pen all season & our player got hit with a 2 match ban ( later rescinded ) for that!! Our refs are hopeless, bring back Alan Freeland!!

Scouse Hibee
15-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Garry was definitely fouled so his reaction should not have any influence on the referees decision.

What annoyed me more was the ridiculous incident near the end when the referee stopped play for treatment to a Pars player who went down in front of Hibs penalty area. He decided to restart play with a bounce up in front of Hibs area when we had taken the ball out wide and let them contest it. It should have taken place where the ball was when he stopped play and he should have got the Pars player to knock it back to Hibs.

Either cheating or incompetence. I know what I think.

Yes I was angered by that incident as well, I thought Brown was in possession of the ball when the ref halted play so play should have simply resumed with a kick from Brown, totally unsporting of Pars to the contest the bounced ball!

basehibby
15-01-2012, 02:19 PM

:agree: If he'd attempted to stay on his feet he might just have got the claim as he was very clearly fouled - but Garry's tendency to swan dive the moment contact is made cost him dear as the referee confirmed his incompetence and misplaced pre-conceptions by waving a card for diving.

It was a poor decision in keeping with the refs general performance - I counted three separate occasions when he failed to play a clear advantage - pulling Hibs back from possible goal scoring opportunities to award fairly inocuous free kicks 10 or 20 yards further back.

From where I was standing it genuinely seemed like the ref was trying to help the Pars get a result and it makes you wonder if the recently exposed refereeing bigot from down south has got some like minded pals north of the border.

Jones28
15-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Talk about a reputation going before you! Shocking decision by referee who had an absolute mare yesterday

15-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Ref had a shocker yesterday, total clown. O'Conner would have been better staying on his feet as he was right in on goal so can see no reason why he would dive. The incident was right in front of us and it was clearly a stonewall penalty, how the ref could think otherwise is beyond me but I guess we just have to accept it as the refereeing standard in this country is beyond a joke.

Would be more rajing about it if we hadnt been winning at the time and that penalty was our chance to win it.

basehibby
15-01-2012, 02:50 PM

:top marks We have a ridiculous attitude to these things in our country and it costs us at international level IMO - not a hope in hell GOC would have been booked for that incident in Germany/Spain/Italy/Brazil/Argentina. Reason? He was clearly fouled and the win at all costs culture which exists in these countrys dictates that virtually ANY player would attempt to make the most of such circumstances. Referees - not being biassed against such behaviour - would then be looking for one thing and one thing only - did a foul occur?
In the incident yesterday the answer to that question was an emphatic YES.

Sas_The_Hibby
15-01-2012, 03:06 PM

Exactly. IMO if a player is fouled in the box but stays on his feet the ref should play advantage and, if a goal isn't scored, bring it back for a penalty.

If a player doesn't go down (and make it bl**din' obvious!) most refs will just pretend nothing's happened for an easy life.

Another point: several people on here are saying it was a penalty but Gary 'made the most of it', i.e. dived, having been fouled. Could a referee give a penalty AND book the player for diving! Serious question BTW.

greenlex
15-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Exactly. IMO if a player is fouled in the box but stays on his feet the ref should play advantage and, if a goal isn't scored, bring it back for a penalty.

If a player doesn't go down (and make it bl**din' obvious!) most refs will just pretend nothing's happened for an easy life.

Another point: several people on here are saying it was a penalty but Gary 'made the most of it', i.e. dived, having been fouled. Could a referee give a penalty AND book the player for diving! Serious question BTW.
No he couldn't. He can't judge how a player reacts or goes down after contact. It's either a foul/penalty or simulation.