PDA

View Full Version : Best Right Back

seven nowt
13-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Hibs have played 6 players right back this season. And now added George Francomb, but who is/was our best?

Michael Hart
Victor Palsson
Ritchie Towell
David Wotherspoon
Paul Hanlon
Ian Murray
Georgie Francomb

Spike Mandela
13-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Hibs have played 6 players right back this season. And now added George Francomb, but who is/was our best?

Michael Hart
Victor Palsson
Ritchie Towell
David Wotherspoon
Paul Hanlon
Ian Murray
Georgie Francomb

Was John Brownlie..........Is :confused::rolleyes:

cammy1969
13-01-2012, 04:16 PM

Michael Hart
Victor Palsson
Ritchie Towell
David Wotherspoon
Paul Hanlon
Ian Murray
Georgie Francomb

lets hope its francomb

PeterboroHibee
13-01-2012, 04:21 PM
We cant really answer that without seeing Francomb. Of the ones Ive seen, Id say Spoony is the most competent but he has a really bad habit of switching off and not picking up his man. None of them are ideal really.

Northernhibee
13-01-2012, 06:41 PM
I'd say Hanlon, looked understandably cagey for first 20 minutes whilst getting used to RB, but solid after that.

Sir David Gray
13-01-2012, 06:44 PM
George Francomb.

And that's without ever having seen him before! :greengrin

Leithenhibby
13-01-2012, 06:46 PM

:greengrin By a country mile ..... :wink:

Albion Hibs
13-01-2012, 06:48 PM
I did not see Murray playing at RB, but I thought Hanlon did okay, but Towell is the best for me.

Palsson and Wotherspoon where lost in this position when played this season and more cost us goals / the game. I would play hart there over both of them, acknowledging the Palsson will really be struggling to get his game there from now on.

Fingers crossed the new boy is a player and can provide a bit of certainty and make this slot his own.

snooky
13-01-2012, 07:00 PM
If you ask me it can only be Francomb as the others on the list are not right backs. :coffee: :wink:

yekimevol
13-01-2012, 11:06 PM
unless framcombe is worse than the only natural right back hart. Then it has to be framcombe no one else plays there naturally, they dont know when to go forward, when to stay, remember to track back and when to put a foot in or when to take a foul.

cabbageandribs1875
14-01-2012, 12:03 AM

without a doubt(certainly in my time), until that broken leg against east fife at ER :grr:

allezsauzee
14-01-2012, 07:27 AM
Hanlon but we can't play him at right back and left back at the same time so lets hope Georgie boy is the business

Forza Fred
14-01-2012, 07:57 AM
without a doubt(certainly in my time), until that broken leg against east fife at ER :grr:

Followed by, or should I say preceded by one Bobby Duncan, who had it not been for John Hughes(aka YOgi, but not our one) breakling his leg, he would perhaps have been held in the same esteem as John Brownlie, who was truly as fine a right back as anyone could wish for.

Incidentally, JB ws not always a right back, he was actually signed as a centre half.

patlowe
14-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Palsson and Wotherspoon where lost in this position when played this season and more cost us goals / the game. I would play hart there over both of them, acknowledging the Palsson will really be struggling to get his game there from now on.

I only remember Wotherspoon playing at RB against ICT this season, though I might be wrong. While he wasn't entirely convincing defensively, he did not cost us the goal as that came from shoddy defending in left/central midfield. He's got ability and is comfortable receiving the ball and initiating attacks. I would have had him RB all season as, like Whittaker before him*, I can handle the odd defensive lapse if it means having a bit of quality in the full back area. Comfortable, attacking full backs are so important to a good football team and it's not like anyone else playing at RB has been particularly solid anyway.

*Not that I'm suggesting he's as good as Whittaker.

Northernhibee
14-01-2012, 08:19 AM
When I think of best right back, I think of Michael Hart.

As in best left right back on the coach.

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Only Hart and Francomb are right backs. The other players are boys that can fill in and play there if required. That is essentially the root cause of the problem.