PDA

View Full Version : Fenlon speaks to Sporting Life about transfers

PatHead
13-01-2012, 11:34 AM
I edited this out of an article in Sporting Life today.

The earlier part of the article was about naughty Leigh

Fenlon added: "We're working on getting players in. It's proving a little bit more difficult.
"We are looking for more experience in different areas. There are plenty of young players being put to us but that's not really what I'm looking for."
Fenlon, who has this week released midfielders Victor Palsson and Matt Thornhill, added: "We have told some players they can go as well. But my real concern is getting more players in, I'm not worried about getting any more out.
"We have identified and are talking to some who will improve us, whether we get them or not will depend on other teams.
"It's important we don't panic, we will hold our nerve until we get the ones we want.
"It's mostly about convincing people to play at Hibs. We're in a position that's going to take a fight. They are going to have to scrap for everything that's going.
"As well as identifying decent players, we have to know they're willing to do that and roll up their sleeves."

Liked the bit about rolling up sleeves

silverhibee
13-01-2012, 12:18 PM

Fenlon added: "We're working on getting players in. It's proving a little bit more difficult.
"We are looking for more experience in different areas. There are plenty of young players being put to us but that's not really what I'm looking for."
Fenlon, who has this week released midfielders Victor Palsson and Matt Thornhill, added: "We have told some players they can go as well. But my real concern is getting more players in, I'm not worried about getting any more out.
"We have identified and are talking to some who will improve us, whether we get them or not will depend on other teams.
"It's important we don't panic, we will hold our nerve until we get the ones we want.
"It's mostly about convincing people to play at Hibs. We're in a position that's going to take a fight. They are going to have to scrap for everything that's going.
"As well as identifying decent players, we have to know they're willing to do that and roll up their sleeves."

He talks about bringing in experience for different area's on the pitch and then mentions that he says about young players that, that's not what he is looking for, but signs a 20 year old for the right back.

But the big worry in that story is he is finding it very hard to get players to come to Hibs.

3pm
13-01-2012, 12:21 PM
He talks about bringing in experience for different area's on the pitch and then mentions that he says about young players that, that's not what he is looking for, but signs a 20 year old for the right back.

But the big worry in that story is he is finding it very hard to get players to come to Hibs.

Take yer point but would he not be looking for experience through the 'core' of the team? Experienced CH, CM and CF?! :confused:

Bayern Bru
13-01-2012, 12:25 PM

Which either suggests:

A) Francomb is very decent.
B) Fenlon has loan deals lined up for players older than 23 - rules dictate only two loan players can be over 23...

Just a thought. But yes, the worrying part is people not wanting to come to Hibs.

Spike Mandela
13-01-2012, 12:27 PM

:hmmm: When was this article dated? "Not really looking for youngsters" but only signing so far in our problem areas of defence and midfield is a 20 yr old from Norwich.:confused: "not goin to panic till they get players they want", so have they panicked or is this youngster the exception that proves the rule?

"Not worried about any more going out", so obviously enough room in the budget now to get players in or more departures leaving would leave us too thin on the ground.

Quite revealing quotes in this article.

Lago
13-01-2012, 12:47 PM

Because your 20 doesn't mean your inexperienced.

SRHibs
13-01-2012, 12:49 PM

Well, Francomb is certainly inexperienced.

PatHead
13-01-2012, 12:53 PM
:hmmm: When was this article dated? "Not really looking for youngsters" but only signing so far in our problem areas of defence and midfield is a 20 yr old from Norwich.:confused: "not goin to panic till they get players they want", so have they panicked or is this youngster the exception that proves the rule?

"Not worried about any more going out", so obviously enough room in the budget now to get players in or more departures leaving would leave us too thin on the ground.

Article was January 12th

Captain Trips
13-01-2012, 01:02 PM

No it doesnt but 16 first team games at Barnet last season and reserve team football since IMO means he is pretty inexperienced, not to say he is good or bad but he lacks experience.

IWasThere2016
13-01-2012, 01:03 PM

True., but these older guys may have more options

Captain Trips
13-01-2012, 01:09 PM
True., but these older guys may have more options

Well we need to make sure they dont and that will be costly, guys like Francomb are getting given away so the club that owns them can give them first team experience without it affecting their results, for sure there will be good ones out their but IMO this isnt the time or place for this.

Speedway
13-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Is anyone surprised?

If you are an older, experienced, leader style player with options, why would you sign for Hibs?

Anyone who says the city or EM can **** right off.

Serious question, if you are a player of the above description, why would you sign for Hibs?

Captain Trips
13-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Is anyone surprised?

If you are an older, experienced, leader style player with options, why would you sign for Hibs?

Serious question, if you are a player of the above description, why would you sign for Hibs?

The reason that most will sign who offers them highest wages, if it is for 5mths player would probably not be interested in what is left after he goes as long as played ok and got paid.

Andy74
13-01-2012, 01:27 PM

He might also wonder why he bothers.

Speedway
13-01-2012, 01:32 PM
The reason that most will sign who offers them highest wages, if it is for 5mths player would probably not be interested in what is left after he goes as long as played ok and got paid.

Which may or may not be us. Shop window is the only thing I can think of to answer my own question.

Wilson
13-01-2012, 02:05 PM
He says young players aren't really what he is looking for. That does not suggest that he wouldn't sign a good player just because he isn't old enough. A good player is a good player.

Spike Mandela
13-01-2012, 02:07 PM
He says young players aren't really what he is looking for. That does not suggest that he wouldn't sign a good player just because he isn't old enough. A good player is a good player.

Yip but it does suggest it isn't really what he is looking for.:confused:

silverhibee
13-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Is anyone surprised?

Right now with the position we are in it would be a very hard sell, only big wages would sway it. Nothing else.

Beefster
13-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Is anyone surprised?

Money. Pure and simple.

Jim44
13-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Fenlon has been saying for a couple of weeks now that enticing decent players to ER is proving very difficult. This doesn't surprise me as over the past few years we have gone from being perceived as an underachieving team at a potentially big club to a consistently awful team showing little potential to get away from the lower reaches of the SPL and unable to win back the reputation we once had as one of the big clubs of the SPL. The comments about massive club and wonderful training facilities uttered by nondescript players is beginning to sound a bit hollow and I really do think that lots of decent players presently see us as a poor move in career terms.

Wilson
13-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Yip but it does suggest it isn't really what he is looking for.:confused:

Well he found one. Perhaps he should start not looking for experienced International defenders willing to slum it for 6 months. Assuming, of course, that he isn't already not looking for them.

BEEJ
13-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Right now with the position we are in it would be a very hard sell, only big wages would sway it. Nothing else.
:agree: And that's likely to be our problem.