PDA

View Full Version : NHC Freddie Flintoff : The hidden side of sport

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Did anybody else watch this programme about sport stars suffering with depression? Just finished watching it, I thought it was really interesting viewing.

Godsahibby
12-01-2012, 10:46 AM
I missed the start of it so will watch the full thing again but what I saw made very interesting viewing. Would recommend it to anyone, it's no doubt on I player

Greentinted
14-01-2012, 05:15 AM
Very insightful and while the overview is obviously to do with those involved in professional sport, there's a great deal here that most people will engage with.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b019gbpk/Freddie_Flintoff_Hidden_Side_of_Sport/

R'Albin
16-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Was really interesting, amazing to see people like Flintoff who you wouldn't associate at all with something like depression, suffering from it. Vinnie Jones as well. Great viewing.

CropleyWasGod
16-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Was really interesting, amazing to see people like Flintoff who you wouldn't associate at all with something like depression, suffering from it. Vinnie Jones as well. Great viewing.

A common misunderstanding of the illness, and one which those in the know are trying hard to discourage.

When Stan Collymore was having one of his episodes of depression, his manager at the time (one John Gregory) famously said "What has he got to be depressed about? He's on 20 grand a week....".

R'Albin
16-01-2012, 03:19 PM
A common misunderstanding of the illness, and one which those in the know are trying hard to discourage.

When Stan Collymore was having one of his episodes of depression, his manager at the time (one John Gregory) famously said "What has he got to be depressed about? He's on 20 grand a week....".

Yeah and I hope they try and make people more aware of it. Before watching that program I never really imagined that sportmen/woman could get that easily depressed. And there is every chance that a mate/family member could be suffering from depression but don't want to tell anyone. Hopefully after seeing something like that people might try get help before taking actions into their own hands.

Hibrandenburg
16-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Think that people who are living the dream, i.e. pop stars, actors and sports personalities experience such highs when they're performing that the mediocrity of normal life may seem like a downer. Could also be the reason why they often try and put a shine on day to day life with narcotics.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-01-2012, 01:27 AM
I see Dean Windass has been in the papers saying that he was on the verge of taking his own life following his retirement from football. Hopefully this programme will help others in any walk of life to reveal that they are suffering before its too late.

CropleyWasGod
17-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Think that people who are living the dream, i.e. pop stars, actors and sports personalities experience such highs when they're performing that the mediocrity of normal life may seem like a downer. Could also be the reason why they often try and put a shine on day to day life with narcotics.

There is a lot of sense in what you say. The quest for perfection in sportspeople and artists is another contributing factor. Anything less than that might be seen as worthless.

Depression is a many-headed beast, though, and its causes are many, complex and, in some cases, unfathomable.

CropleyWasGod
17-01-2012, 01:18 PM
QED

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2012/01/16/athletics-legend-yvonne-murray-in-hospital-after-suffering-work-related-breakdown-86908-23701865/

R'Albin
19-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Bit about it on Sportsound earlier.. good to hear :agree: