PDA

View Full Version : Fenlon Speaks!

Speedway
12-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Interesting article and interview here from Paddy The Gaffer.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/exclusive-interview-linfields-chosen-one-has-the-guts-to-reignite-glory-in-hibs.16440411

Bohemian_Hibee
12-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Interesting article and interview here from Paddy The Gaffer.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/exclusive-interview-linfields-chosen-one-has-the-guts-to-reignite-glory-in-hibs.16440411

Extremely good article and gives an insight into the psyche of the man that most people only really see for 90 minutes on a Saturday.

Whether it all ends in tears of joy or sadness, one thing is for certain, it will not be for the lack of hard word from Nutsy.

DanHFC1875
12-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Good article... interviewer sounds a bit of a tit... but really like the sound of Fenlon.. convinced he'll keep us up and push on next season.:flag:

down the slope
12-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Liked the "we are as big a club as them if not bigger ", he has a big task trying to change the mentality at Hibs , lets hope he gets the time to do it.

Kato
12-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Could someone post up the text, please. I can only see the first paragraph on the works computer for some reason. Cheers.

hibbymac
12-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Could someone post up the text, please. I can only see the first paragraph on the works computer for some reason. Cheers.

Here you go, full article from The Herald Scotland,-

Apologies for the reluctance to call it Pat Fenlon's desk, but Hibs go through managers at such a rate of knots it's hard to know how long any one man will occupy that office at their training ground near Tranent. For the foreseeable future it's Fenlon's: cluttered and covered in paperwork, DVDs, a computer, a laptop, a couple of mobiles and all the usual managerial detritus.

It can seem like he's never away from it. Fenlon is still making himself known to Hibs and everyone else in Scottish football but this much can be said for sure: he's a grafter. He's at that desk by 8.30am and the other night it was nearly 7pm before he put the lights out and headed for the car.

Many managers are available for a one-to-one interview at only a day or two's notice; Fenlon needed nearly a month to find some space in his diary. Busy, busy, busy. Of course he misses his wife and two young daughters, who have stayed in Dublin for the meantime, but their absence means fewer distractions. It's all about tackling poor old Hibs. "Long hours don't worry me," he says. "I'm probably not really able to switch off. Football is 24 hours a day so you're always on the end of a phone. And it can ring at any time."

All of this lays down a marker. This is the way it will be on Fenlon's watch. His way or the highway. Hibs have drifted for too long, staggered from one manager to the next, and now this 42-year-old Irishman is the latest to have a go at steadying them. First impressions? His height, hair and glasses mean folk say he looks like Martin O'Neill, Pat Nevin, or a combination of the two. It seems too cheeky to ask him about that. He was said to be quite serious, still finding his feet in Scottish football having spent his entire adult career in the Republic or Northern Ireland. Yet he is friendly, open and engaging.

And there seems to be a bit of steel about him. Although small, he had a reputation for being an aggressive player who was able to look after himself. Does he lose his temper? "Whether I'm aggressive or not is for others to answer. The players know what I expect. If I don't get that then I'll deal with it."

He was raised in what he calls the hard, working-class area of Finglas on the north of Dublin. His parents both had jobs until his father died aged only 50, when Fenlon was 23. "That's a reason I went to Linfield," he says. He wanted to challenge himself, shake himself out of the comfort zone of living and playing football in Dublin. He had done something similar when moving to London aged 15 in an attempt to become a professional with Chelsea.

"The two best things I've done were going to London and to Linfield. I was in London in 1985. That was a tough time to be Irish in London, never mind anything else. It wasn't something I was aware of then, it's only when I looked back and have talked to people who were older than me and working in London at the time. There was a lot of anti-Irish stuff because of what was going on in the north [the troubles and the IRA bombing campaigns on the British mainland].

"But just being in London aged 15, 16 was hard. It was a case of 'you're two hours away from the training ground, you're two hours away from Stamford Bridge, find your own way there'. It helps you grow up. Going to Linfield was different altogether but I enjoy a challenge. I like going to places to show people what you're about."

Hibs have gone for him because of the five League of Ireland titles, cups wins and one-off European results he's delivered in management, but nothing says more about his character than the two-and-a-half years he spent playing for Linfield from 1993. A couple of points spring to mind: first, what guts and strength of character Fenlon showed to become the first Dublin Catholic to sign for the staunchly Protestant club in Belfast. Secondly, how revealing that of all the Catholics Linfield could have chosen, they thought he was the one who could handle being their Mo Johnston.

"What they said to me was that there wasn't enough good Protestants [footballers] in Northern Ireland at the time! That was their opinion on it. They wanted to change the philosophy of the club [its historical, unofficial policy of not signing Catholics] and I think everything was moving in the right direction from that point of view. They came south, had a look, did background checks on what kind of character I was. They knew it wasn't going to be easy but it was one of the better times of my career. It was probably the best football club I ever played for."

He laughs about being teased by team-mates and supporters as "Pat Fenian" or "Billy Fenlan", but his Linfield career was uncontroversial and trouble-free. The pleasure was marred only by the bitter response of some of his fellow Dublin Catholics. "I didn't have any problems in Belfast. I had a good few problems in Dublin. The Linfield people went out of their way to help me because I think they knew if I did have problems it would probably jeopardise what they were trying to do as a club to get away from 100 years of history steeped in the heart of a Protestant area of Belfast. It was difficult for them, but they felt it was really important that it worked. That was a brave decision by them to say 'look, we can't sign only Protestant players, we need the best around regardless of their religion'."

Joining Linfield didn't go down so well back in the Republic. "I got a fair bit of stick in Dublin on nights out or whatever. There's nothing you can do, there are idiots everywhere. You just have to turn your back and walk away, which can be difficult at times. I still get a bit. You have certain people in Dublin who will never change their opinions of one side or the other." He shrugs it off; their problem, not his.

Hibs have a manager not easily intimidated or overawed, then. He took his first coaching badges aged only 20 and, although not a regular captain as a player, was loud in every dressing room and served as chairman of the players' union in Ireland. Ask if he likes what he's seen at Hibs and he doesn't go for easy platitudes. Yes, there are a lot of positives but "a fair few negatives as well".

"The one thing I thought was lacking when I came in was a little bit of unity. It's about getting that feeling that the results matter for every single person in the club. That's what we're aiming for. We want harmony, a good feeling around the place, and I didn't sense that when I came. You need to have that togetherness with the players and the staff so that everyone cares on a Saturday. That will mean changing players, because some of the players we had, who have probably gone, I didn't feel were contributing to that."

Hibs have yet to get the bounce they wanted from replacing Colin Calderwood. The results have still to improve. Until they do, he knows that there will be muttering that the club should have gone for a bigger name.

"I have no problem with that at all. From being a football supporter myself you always have great ambitions for a manager or player coming in and then you'll get one where you say 'oh Christ that's really not who I wanted'. I understand that. Some Hibs fans wanted a manager of higher profile than someone from Ireland. I'm just hoping they will give us time before passing judgment."

Cowdenbeath were negotiated on Saturday – his first win at the sixth attempt – and there will be a return to Fife this weekend where losing to Dunfermline would put Hibs bottom of the league. In the SPL he has lost to Rangers, Aberdeen, and Dundee United and drawn with Inverness, but nothing got under his skin like the 3-1 home defeat to Hearts.

Hibs are out of the habit of winning derbies but what bothered him was defeatism before a ball was kicked. "I just felt that there seemed to be an acceptance that if Hearts turned up they were going to win the match. That irked me and it's something I want to change, this idea that we're not as good as them. I don't believe that. Supporters and the club have to start to stand up to people. This is a big club. We've got to be much stronger mentally. We're as big a club as they are, if not bigger."

Minds will be made up about Fenlon in the months ahead, but this much can be said already: that's a more impressive mission statement than anything Calderwood ever managed.

Kato
12-01-2012, 11:53 AM

Thanks!! :thumbsup:

Good read. Like what he's saying and you can sense the grit and determination he has. Let's hope it all comes together.

Rivers Cuomo
12-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Exactly what i want to hear from a Hibs manager

Hibbylad86
12-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Good read! As always impressed with what has got to say for himself but....

Its results that count and its results that will keep us in the SPL. Think we have got the right man and I hope this sort of dedication/spirt translates into the team performance going forward.

Yes it will take time but nothing like a couple of wins to boost confidence and a few new players.

JimBHibees
12-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Exactly what i want to hear from a Hibs manager

Totally agree. Good insight into the guy. Wish him all the best.

Bishop Hibee
12-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Confirms further my belief that he's the man to turn us around if anyone can.

Craig_in_Prague
12-01-2012, 12:09 PM
He's just like Yogi really, but with an Irish accent FFS.

only joking,

I'm liking him very much and just hope he get's the players he wants and we have an improved run in... given us new fresh hope that we'll have a better team to support and even enjoy watching come the new season.

Until we're much safer from relegation, it'll continue being stressful and horrible being a hibee.

alfieboi75
12-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Wonder if the videos are related to the present players of HFC, studying who is staying or going.

Just hope 4:45pm on Saturday shall bring more positive news for us all!

machibby
12-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Great article, if he can get players in that mirror that attitude he'll do us proud.

johnrebus
12-01-2012, 12:25 PM
"The one thing I thought was lacking when I came in was a little bit of unity. It's about getting that feeling that the results matter for every single person in the club. That's what we're aiming for. We want harmony, a good feeling around the place, and I didn't sense that when I came. You need to have that togetherness with the players and the staff so that everyone cares on a Saturday. That will mean changing players, because some of the players we had, who have probably gone, I didn't feel were contributing to that."

Hibs are out of the habit of winning derbies but what bothered him was defeatism before a ball was kicked. "I just felt that there seemed to be an acceptance that if Hearts turned up they were going to win the match. That irked me and it's something I want to change, this idea that we're not as good as them. I don't believe that. Supporters and the club have to start to stand up to people. This is a big club. We've got to be much stronger mentally. We're as big a club as they are, if not bigger."
Minds will be made up about Fenlon in the months ahead, but this much can be said already: that's a more impressive mission statement than anything Calderwood ever managed.

This is what has impressed me most about Fenlon. I think we can take it that the players who have left the club fell into the lack of unity thing.

Even with a crap team we could be be better just through some positive thinking.

I just hope we do not go down and can start all over again next season.

:pray:

Mikey
12-01-2012, 12:26 PM
The players know what I expect. If I don't get that then I'll deal with it.

:aok:

Benny Brazil
12-01-2012, 12:31 PM

Finally a Hibs manager who understands.

Franck is God
12-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Good Article and comes over very well in the interview, particularly liked what he says here.

So much is to do with attitude, its clear that as a team and squad there is very little belief that we can win points which makes the point against ICT and the win on Saturday all the more important.

Hibernia Na Eir
12-01-2012, 12:40 PM
brilliant read. the guy is a strong character and I'm well impressed by all he says and has done.
welcome to Hibernian Patrick :)

GloryGlory
12-01-2012, 12:40 PM
"The one thing I thought was lacking when I came in was a little bit of unity. It's about getting that feeling that the results matter for every single person in the club. "

Nail. Head. Hit.

I've felt for some time that there are too many players who have been more than happy to pick up a wage while inhabiting their own personal comfort zones and who don't give a flying one about Hibernian FC or whether we win or lose.

Paddy - if you read this forum, please know that most if not all Hibs fans are right behind you as you sort out the mess that has held our great club back for far too long.

Stevie Reid
12-01-2012, 12:53 PM
That article is the most encouraging and comforting Hibs-related read I've had in ages.

spike220
12-01-2012, 12:54 PM
"The one thing I thought was lacking when I came in was a little bit of unity. It's about getting that feeling that the results matter for every single person in the club. "

Nail. Head. Hit.

I've felt for some time that there are too many players who have been more than happy to pick up a wage while inhabiting their own personal comfort zones and who don't give a flying one about Hibernian FC or whether we win or lose.

Paddy - if you read this forum, please know that most if not all Hibs fans are right behind you as you sort out the mess that has held our great club back for far too long.

:top marks

GGTTH

ScottB
12-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Just the sort of thing you want our manager to be saying, not publicly slagging off the players which would be counter productive, but far, far away from the 'boys done me proud' nonsense we've had to stomach. He comes across as tough but fair, I can't imagine him taking any nonsense, and the players that have left or will be leaving seem to support that.

I would be really keen to see what we are like once he has made the squad his own and instilled his vision, a tougher, meaner Hibs devoid of the defeatist, lazy, uncaring attitude that has blighted us for years now.

Top stuff :agree:

carnoustiehibee
12-01-2012, 01:14 PM
So is Petrie back in the good books then?

After that Martin Luther king speech the 6/4 for hibs on sat looks very tempting.

BEEJ
12-01-2012, 01:37 PM
That article is the most encouraging and comforting Hibs-related read I've had in ages.
:agree:

He 'gets it'. And I think he has the character and the ability to get us out of this pit we find ourselves in.

GreenCastle
12-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Good read and still fully behind Fenlon to change things round over time :agree:

This season we must stay up then give him summer to really build his own team with better players. :pfgwa

Spike Mandela
12-01-2012, 05:18 PM

He 'gets it'. And I think he has the character and the ability to get us out of this pit we find ourselves in.

Agreed, just hope he has the players to get us out of this mess.

Mikey_1875
12-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Great read, and really encouraging to see that he seems to know what he wants in order to turn things around for us, which couldn't be said for calderwood who didn't seem to have a clue. On another point though I noticed the article said that his family still lived in Dublin, was it not said that one of the main creiteria for the new managers job was that they had to move over to a house in Edinburgh/Lothians? Not that it matters too much as its done now and by the looks of things if there is anything lacking in him it is certainly not his work ethic

The_Todd
12-01-2012, 05:31 PM

Absolutely. I'm fed up of this mental block we have when Hearts come calling. This is the self-belief we really need.

The_Todd
12-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Great read, and really encouraging to see that he seems to know what he wants in order to turn things around for us, which couldn't be said for calderwood who didn't seem to have a clue. On another point though I noticed the article said that his family still lived in Dublin, was it not said that one of the main creiteria for the new managers job was that they had to move over to a house in Edinburgh/Lothians? Not that it matters too much as its done now and by the looks of things if there is anything lacking in him it is certainly not his work ethic

Well, I'm sure PF lives in Edinburgh - the commute to Dublin every day would be a right killer.

Viva_Palmeiras
12-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Extremely good article and gives an insight into the psyche of the man that most people only really see for 90 minutes on a Saturday.

[/bold] Whether it all ends in tears of joy or sadness, one thing is for certain, it will not be for the lack of hard word from Nutsy.[/bold]

It Was the same for Mixu and Yogi though? Didnt form a view on cc cos of the mucking about.

He's taken on a big challenge in changing the mentality but sweeping with a clean broom was needed. He appears to be taking action rather than pay lip service it appears he's grasped the nettle

I look at Evans - who I liked as a player. Maybe his quietness was part of his downfall but look at his derby record and you think - loser. How the heck could he speak with any authority about having what it takes to stuff the yams?

Mikey_1875
12-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Well, I'm sure PF lives in Edinburgh - the commute to Dublin every day would be a right killer.

Calderwood I'm sure didn't commute from Nottingham everyday either. Anyway, I don't want this thread turning negative was just an observation.

DaveF
12-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Great read and just the sort of uplifting message every Hibs fan needs to make sure they take in.

All the best Paddy - make this club proud again :flag:

The_Todd
12-01-2012, 05:56 PM
I see PF's comments have started a 2 page seethe-fest on Sickbag.

Quality trolling, Paddy!

http://thegurglingcod.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c387d53ef0148c84decb8970c-320wi

Bad Martini
12-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Reminds me of the way the best managers behave. Take no ****. Back that up with guile and fairness and earn respect. Above all build unity. A hard working team who aren't the best can often overcome a crowd of players who are better but who aren't a team,

Source: look at England. Should be winning far more than they do. Why not? They're not a good team. They're good players. Too many egos. Which is why *****y teams like us turned them over at wembley last tie we played them.

Natural enthusiasm. It's the best thing in the world. Without it you are nothing.....Shankly said that. He was a friggin genius anaw.

Good luck Paddy. Get intae the *******s....if yer no wi us, yer against us and in which case ye can **** off.

GGTTH

bruno
12-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Reminds me of the way the best managers behave. Take no ****. Back that up with guile and fairness and earn respect. Above all build unity. A hard working team who aren't the best can often overcome a crowd of players who are better but who aren't a team,

Source: look at England. Should be winning far more than they do. Why not? They're not a good team. They're good players. Too many egos. Which is why *****y teams like us turned them over at wembley last tie we played them.

Natural enthusiasm. It's the best thing in the world. Without it you are nothing.....Shankly said that. He was a friggin genius anaw.

Good luck Paddy. Get intae the *******s....if yer no wi us, yer against us and in which case ye can **** off.

GGTTH
I thought it was quite a positive article. An attempt to put his views across and get the fans on his side. I think he should have left it just before the end when he admitted there was an inferiority complex withing the club towards Hearts. I think if he felt that it would have been better to keep it in house. He was manager in the run up to the game and should have had time to influence the players and staffs mental attitude before they took the park. I did wonder though why if he was about to release palsson why did he play him in the game. He proved during it his attitude was abysmal. Was there really no one else he could have played

The_Todd
12-01-2012, 06:15 PM
I thought it was quite a positive article. An attempt to put his views across and get the fans on his side. I think he should have left it just before the end when he admitted there was an inferiority complex withing the club towards Hearts. I think if he felt that it would have been better to keep it in house. He was manager in the run up to the game and should have had time to influence the players and staffs mental attitude before they took the park. I did wonder though why if he was about to release palsson why did he play him in the game. He proved during it his attitude was abysmal. Was there really no one else he could have played

True but:

1 - This was his first Edinburgh derby. It would only have been in the run up to it that he would have started noticing the inferiority complex that seems to flow through the club recently

and

2 - It's been so ingrained into the club that it will take a bit more than a couple of weeks to eradicate it. This statement, along with the emptying of many under performing players, is the start of the change of mindset.

Taking Hibs out of the doldrums, both in the league table and psychologically, is a long-haul project.

snooky
12-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Last line in article....
"Minds will be made up about Fenlon in the months ahead, but this much can be said already: that's a more impressive mission statement than anything Calderwood ever managed."

Kaiser1962
12-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Agreed, just hope he has the players to get us out of this mess.

He certainly appears to be having a cull of those he thinks cant.

snooky
12-01-2012, 06:56 PM
He certainly appears to be having a cull of those he thinks cant.

No need to swear :tsk tsk:
:wink:

BEEJ
12-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Family staying in Dublin while the kids complete their current school year.

A common approach.

Dashing Bob S
12-01-2012, 07:43 PM

Apologies for the reluctance to call it Pat Fenlon's desk, but Hibs go through managers at such a rate of knots it's hard to know how long any one man will occupy that office at their training ground near Tranent. For the foreseeable future it's Fenlon's: cluttered and covered in paperwork, DVDs, a computer, a laptop, a couple of mobiles and all the usual managerial detritus.

It can seem like he's never away from it. Fenlon is still making himself known to Hibs and everyone else in Scottish football but this much can be said for sure: he's a grafter. He's at that desk by 8.30am and the other night it was nearly 7pm before he put the lights out and headed for the car.

Many managers are available for a one-to-one interview at only a day or two's notice; Fenlon needed nearly a month to find some space in his diary. Busy, busy, busy. Of course he misses his wife and two young daughters, who have stayed in Dublin for the meantime, but their absence means fewer distractions. It's all about tackling poor old Hibs. "Long hours don't worry me," he says. "I'm probably not really able to switch off. Football is 24 hours a day so you're always on the end of a phone. And it can ring at any time."

All of this lays down a marker. This is the way it will be on Fenlon's watch. His way or the highway. Hibs have drifted for too long, staggered from one manager to the next, and now this 42-year-old Irishman is the latest to have a go at steadying them. First impressions? His height, hair and glasses mean folk say he looks like Martin O'Neill, Pat Nevin, or a combination of the two. It seems too cheeky to ask him about that. He was said to be quite serious, still finding his feet in Scottish football having spent his entire adult career in the Republic or Northern Ireland. Yet he is friendly, open and engaging.

And there seems to be a bit of steel about him. Although small, he had a reputation for being an aggressive player who was able to look after himself. Does he lose his temper? "Whether I'm aggressive or not is for others to answer. The players know what I expect. If I don't get that then I'll deal with it."

He was raised in what he calls the hard, working-class area of Finglas on the north of Dublin. His parents both had jobs until his father died aged only 50, when Fenlon was 23. "That's a reason I went to Linfield," he says. He wanted to challenge himself, shake himself out of the comfort zone of living and playing football in Dublin. He had done something similar when moving to London aged 15 in an attempt to become a professional with Chelsea.

"The two best things I've done were going to London and to Linfield. I was in London in 1985. That was a tough time to be Irish in London, never mind anything else. It wasn't something I was aware of then, it's only when I looked back and have talked to people who were older than me and working in London at the time. There was a lot of anti-Irish stuff because of what was going on in the north [the troubles and the IRA bombing campaigns on the British mainland].

"But just being in London aged 15, 16 was hard. It was a case of 'you're two hours away from the training ground, you're two hours away from Stamford Bridge, find your own way there'. It helps you grow up. Going to Linfield was different altogether but I enjoy a challenge. I like going to places to show people what you're about."

Hibs have gone for him because of the five League of Ireland titles, cups wins and one-off European results he's delivered in management, but nothing says more about his character than the two-and-a-half years he spent playing for Linfield from 1993. A couple of points spring to mind: first, what guts and strength of character Fenlon showed to become the first Dublin Catholic to sign for the staunchly Protestant club in Belfast. Secondly, how revealing that of all the Catholics Linfield could have chosen, they thought he was the one who could handle being their Mo Johnston.

"What they said to me was that there wasn't enough good Protestants [footballers] in Northern Ireland at the time! That was their opinion on it. They wanted to change the philosophy of the club [its historical, unofficial policy of not signing Catholics] and I think everything was moving in the right direction from that point of view. They came south, had a look, did background checks on what kind of character I was. They knew it wasn't going to be easy but it was one of the better times of my career. It was probably the best football club I ever played for."

He laughs about being teased by team-mates and supporters as "Pat Fenian" or "Billy Fenlan", but his Linfield career was uncontroversial and trouble-free. The pleasure was marred only by the bitter response of some of his fellow Dublin Catholics. "I didn't have any problems in Belfast. I had a good few problems in Dublin. The Linfield people went out of their way to help me because I think they knew if I did have problems it would probably jeopardise what they were trying to do as a club to get away from 100 years of history steeped in the heart of a Protestant area of Belfast. It was difficult for them, but they felt it was really important that it worked. That was a brave decision by them to say 'look, we can't sign only Protestant players, we need the best around regardless of their religion'."

Joining Linfield didn't go down so well back in the Republic. "I got a fair bit of stick in Dublin on nights out or whatever. There's nothing you can do, there are idiots everywhere. You just have to turn your back and walk away, which can be difficult at times. I still get a bit. You have certain people in Dublin who will never change their opinions of one side or the other." He shrugs it off; their problem, not his.

Hibs have a manager not easily intimidated or overawed, then. He took his first coaching badges aged only 20 and, although not a regular captain as a player, was loud in every dressing room and served as chairman of the players' union in Ireland. Ask if he likes what he's seen at Hibs and he doesn't go for easy platitudes. Yes, there are a lot of positives but "a fair few negatives as well".

Hibs have yet to get the bounce they wanted from replacing Colin Calderwood. The results have still to improve. Until they do, he knows that there will be muttering that the club should have gone for a bigger name.

"I have no problem with that at all. From being a football supporter myself you always have great ambitions for a manager or player coming in and then you'll get one where you say 'oh Christ that's really not who I wanted'. I understand that. Some Hibs fans wanted a manager of higher profile than someone from Ireland. I'm just hoping they will give us time before passing judgment."

Cowdenbeath were negotiated on Saturday – his first win at the sixth attempt – and there will be a return to Fife this weekend where losing to Dunfermline would put Hibs bottom of the league. In the SPL he has lost to Rangers, Aberdeen, and Dundee United and drawn with Inverness, but nothing got under his skin like the 3-1 home defeat to Hearts.

At last a manager who gets it and advocates a return to the violence and thuggery of the 80's and 90's. Now let me dig out the old 'These Colours Don't Run' t-shirt!

EasterRoad4Ever
12-01-2012, 08:13 PM

Yip, cannot believe we have players at ER that think that way - but confirms what a lot of fans think already - there are far too many LOSERS at ER - wimps, wasters and deadbeats who shouldn'tt be anywhere near Hibernian FC. We can only hope that PF has their number and getting shot asap.

mca
12-01-2012, 08:28 PM
At last a manager who gets it and advocates a return to the violence and thuggery of the 80's and 90's. Now let me dig out the old 'These Colours Don't Run' t-shirt!

He is No Called Nutsy for Nothing.......
:aok:

down-the-slope
12-01-2012, 09:11 PM
For some reason when reading that I had a vision of BB and PF sitting at either end of George Street on a Saturday night on Erse*ole patrol.....making sure the naughty boys were sent home to bed :greengrin

Eyrie
12-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Further evidence that he was the right choice to fix our club.
:pfgwa

Greentinted
13-01-2012, 12:54 AM

I'm sure the subtle tattoo on the calf will suffice. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
13-01-2012, 01:17 AM
"I just felt that there seemed to be an acceptance that if Hearts turned up they were going to win the match. That irked me and it's something I want to change, this idea that we're not as good as them. I don't believe that. Supporters and the club have to start to stand up to people. This is a big club. We've got to be much stronger mentally. We're as big a club as they are, if not bigger."

Amen to that. :aok:

Only thing I would say about that article which worries me slightly is the mention that his wife and children are still in Dublin.

When I read the same thing in an article about Colin Calderwood, pretty much this time last year, it started alarm bells ringing right away.

However, I have to say that for some reason, I've got a different feeling about Fenlon's situation and I don't think it will be as much of an issue with him. Calderwood admitted in the summer that his family staying down south was something to consider as he thought about going back to England. I don't think this will apply to Fenlon.

If I'm being honest though, I would prefer to read about our manager and his immediate family being happy and settled in the central belt of Scotland.

Peevemor
13-01-2012, 01:22 AM

Only thing I would say about that article which worries me slightly is the mention that his wife and children are still in Dublin.

When I read the same thing in an article about Colin Calderwood, pretty much this time last year, it started alarm bells ringing right away.

However, I have to say that for some reason, I've got a different feeling about Fenlon's situation and I don't think it will be as much of an issue with him. Calderwood admitted in the summer that his family staying down south was something to consider as he thought about going back to England. I don't think this will apply to Fenlon.

If I'm being honest though, I would prefer to read about our manager and his immediate family being happy and settled in the central belt of Scotland.

He's been quoted a couple of times saying that he's leaving them there for the time being so as not to be distracted from the job by trying to settle his family in Edinburgh. It wouldn't surprise me if they moved during the summer.

RickyS
13-01-2012, 01:29 AM

i would agree that i would prefer he and his family were together, but i'm sure i read recently that he has moved from a hotel into a flat and that his daughter was still in school and she and his wife would follow at the end of term.

edinburghhibee
13-01-2012, 08:52 AM
"Supporters and the club have to start to stand up to people. This is a big club. We've got to be much stronger mentally. We're as big a club as they are, if not bigger."

Cracking statement to make, really begining to like everything this man is doing with our club. He is having a decent clear out and the players who I believe have been dead wood are being shown were to get off...

Now lets get right behind the man on Saturday at East End... GGTTH!!!!

:flag::flag::pfgwa:flag::flag: