PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance

bobbyhibs1983
11-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Evening folks

Its that time of year where things like car insurance pop up and I ve recently had my car insurance renewel (from my current insurer) and :bitchy:

Im currently with elephant and have 5 years no claims discount and my insurance has went UP from last year.
Can anyone advice on good companies(preferably cheap) to go with?
Im only needing 3rd party fire and theft and im paying £150 excess.Im 28 and have a rover 25 1.4.

Im not the best on the phone when it comes to phoning people so i d be a bit iffy(is that a word) bout phoning my insurance company.I vew tried a few sites and well to be fair elepahnt, is cheapish but as i said its went up from last year.

So any advice i would most appraciate.:thumbsup:

(if the thread is in the wrong forum please feel free to put it in its place)

calumhibee1
12-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Churchill was cheapest for me

Twiglet
12-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Churchill was cheapest for me

Me too. Been with them for a few years now and they're the cheapest every year. For my current year they were cheapest by quite a bit even when i added on extras i wasn't getting with others.
What i normally do is go to a price comparison website for quotes and then go to the best insurers i get from there, that sometimes knocks a few more quid off.
Also if you're on quidco some insurers do cashback for buying through them.

bobbyhibs1983
12-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Ok thanx so far for the ideas.I have tried moneysupermarket(or similar) and to be honest my current insurer is miles more cheaper.I dont recalled them saying Churchill so i ll give them a bash.I know it may seem a tad mad but im a bit of a petrie and every pound counts.:greengrin

Killiehibbie
12-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Just saved over 20% on Tesco renewal price by going to Churchill.

greenlex
12-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Use one of the comparison sites. I use it every year and have never stayed with the previous years insurers. You always get a good first year deal.
I think the term is insurance tart.:greengrin

bobbyhibs1983
14-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Ok thanx for your help, will continue to rattle through the comparison sites and hope for the best

Danderhall Hibs
14-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Do quotes on gocompare, money supermarket, then on Direct Line and Aviva (they're not on the comparison sites. That'll cover most insurers then phone your current provider to cancel as you've been got a cheaper price. They might offer to amtch it, if not just bin it.

Make sure you've got accurate info in the comparisons though.

bobbyhibs1983
14-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Do quotes on gocompare, money supermarket, then on Direct Line and Aviva (they're not on the comparison sites. That'll cover most insurers then phone your current provider to cancel as you've been got a cheaper price. They might offer to amtch it, if not just bin it.

Make sure you've got accurate info in the comparisons though.

Ok thanx for that i have tried money supermarket and could not rember the other one(gocompare being it).
Many thanks and thanks to all whom have posted:thumbsup:

AFKA5814_Hibs
14-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Check comparison websites and then check if they are on Quidco. The past year I've had over £100 cashback from Quidco for my 2 car insurances and household insurance and all three were also cheaper than the renewals I got.

Planet Hibs
15-01-2012, 09:27 PM
I was with Elephant for years and price went up, could not find anywhere cheaper for a while then came across 'Admiral' - think they may even be part of same group but they were cheaper. Also my mum started to occasionally use my car so added her on and saved further pennies :wink:

Speedy
17-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Check comparison websites and then check if they are on Quidco. The past year I've had over £100 cashback from Quidco for my 2 car insurances and household insurance and all three were also cheaper than the renewals I got.

Check a few price comparison sites as they give you different results.

Make sure to clear your cache, cookies etc. before going through quidco

Gatecrasher
17-01-2012, 08:58 AM
My insurance is due next month and I really can't be arsed with all this, fingers crossed for a decent renewal quote.

Killiehibbie
17-01-2012, 09:43 AM
My insurance is due next month and I really can't be arsed with all this, fingers crossed for a decent renewal quote.It took me less than an hour to save £42. I wish I could get a full time job paying even half that.

Gatecrasher
17-01-2012, 12:31 PM
It took me less than an hour to save £42. I wish I could get a full time job paying even half that.

its not just that its the phoning up to cancel your old then all the spam emails from the insurance companies you need to delete your details from, its a lazy gits nightmare:agree:

derekHFC
18-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Admiral multi-car if you have more than one motor in the household.

Seperate no claims discounts as well.

micka_weer
18-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Always make sure that once you've received a quote from an alternative company that you go back to you're current one and tell them what you have now been quoted, your current insurer will generally then give you an even lower quote. Has worked for me three years on the trot. Also when using the price comparison sites there are sometimes hidden costs so just double check everything

Danderhall Hibs
18-01-2012, 03:42 PM
My insurance is due next month and I really can't be arsed with all this, fingers crossed for a decent renewal quote.

Always make sure that once you've received a quote from an alternative company that you go back to you're current one and tell them what you have now been quoted, your current insurer will generally then give you an even lower quote. Has worked for me three years on the trot. Also when using the price comparison sites there are sometimes hidden costs so just double check everything

Got my renewal in from Direct Line - £414. Ran the exact same quote on their website and could get it for £308 - I phoned up and the boy on the phone couldn't match it or reduce my renewal price in anyway! How can they not match a price they're offering themselves?!

Told them to cancel it and went with Hastings Direct who're giving me it for £258.

Teo10
18-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Evening folks

Its that time of year where things like car insurance pop up and I ve recently had my car insurance renewel (from my current insurer) and :bitchy:

Im currently with elephant and have 5 years no claims discount and my insurance has went UP from last year.
Can anyone advice on good companies(preferably cheap) to go with?
Im only needing 3rd party fire and theft and im paying £150 excess.Im 28 and have a rover 25 1.4.

Im not the best on the phone when it comes to phoning people so i d be a bit iffy(is that a word) bout phoning my insurance company.I vew tried a few sites and well to be fair elepahnt, is cheapish but as i said its went up from last year.

So any advice i would most appraciate.:thumbsup:

(if the thread is in the wrong forum please feel free to put it in its place)

I got my renewal through from Elephant... it wasnt much cheaper than last years so called up just looking to take off the Hire Car if I got in an accident... just for doing this the guy said he would go and speak to his manager, came back a few minutes later with a quote £100 cheaper than what I originally had been quoted!

£850 a year on a Golf GTI is decent!

blaikie
22-01-2012, 02:56 PM
My insurance is £1000, Phoned admiral they want £650 extra to pay monthly. Crazy price considering its only a Ford Focus.

Lucius Apuleius
23-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Wow, if mine goes above £200 I crack up!!!!!! Direct Line has been good last few years, always managed to get them to knock money off their first quote. Wife gets her no claims kept as well should we go back to a two car household (not likely!!!!)

bobbyhibs1983
26-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Ok thank you all for your feedback,.Im sorta glad im not the only one who has car insurance problems, many thanks agian for all your input:thumbsup:

LancashireHibby
26-01-2012, 07:45 PM
I had a renewal quote for £803, ended up getting it with Right Choice (via confused.com) for £550. They rang me when I bought it online in November to check the details and said they'd need to take another £100 a month in to my policy as some of the stuff I'd filled in on the form wasn't to their liking - thing is, it's now a fortnight since this extra £100 should have been taken yet I've not heard anything. I know it's £100 in my pocket but I'm fearful it might end up meaning my insurance null and void. Have sent them an email and hopefully I'll get a response one way or another :confused:

Gatecrasher
28-01-2012, 10:53 AM
saved myself £150 with LV :flag:

LancashireHibby
30-01-2012, 09:49 PM
I had a renewal quote for £803, ended up getting it with Right Choice (via confused.com) for £550. They rang me when I bought it online in November to check the details and said they'd need to take another £100 a month in to my policy as some of the stuff I'd filled in on the form wasn't to their liking - thing is, it's now a fortnight since this extra £100 should have been taken yet I've not heard anything. I know it's £100 in my pocket but I'm fearful it might end up meaning my insurance null and void. Have sent them an email and hopefully I'll get a response one way or another :confused:

The extra £100 is now showing up on my credit card statement. Should have kept my mouth shut! :greengrin