PDA

View Full Version : NHC Can Spurs win the League?

Monts
11-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Doing incredibly well, only 3 points off the top.

I think the games against the big 4 will be too much for them, but what a team they have, and without the ridiculous spending of the likes of man city and chelsea.

Can they seriously be considered a contender?

SteveHFC
11-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Yes they can win the league :agree:

yekimevol
11-01-2012, 09:05 PM

I think the games against the big 4 will be too much for them, but what a team they have, and without the ridiculous spending of the likes of man city and chelsea.

spurs have spent large sums of money on players they have just done it over a longer period instead of in 6 or 8 transfer windows.

http://www.topspurs.com/thfc-transfers.htm

The_Todd
11-01-2012, 09:06 PM
:pray:

Bostonhibby
11-01-2012, 09:10 PM
I think so and hope so, much of it will be down to Bale avoiding serious injury or dips in form, probably the same with Van De Vaart, and I wish Defoe would get a bit more of a run as he always seems to get a goal at important times. What an inspired signing Friedel was.........

Mikey_1875
11-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Playing great football just now but as I said on an earlier thread the game at the etihad later this month will be the huge test. Would be silly to write them off I think. Can't see why not though every team is vulnerable to dropping points, this has been one of the most exciting premier league seasons yet!

Winston Ingram
11-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Playing great football just now but as I said on an earlier thread the game at the etihad later this month will be the huge test. Would be silly to write them off I think. Can't see why not though every team is vulnerable to dropping points, this has been one of the most exciting premier league seasons yet!

I'm of a Spurs persuasion and it's the best team I've seen them have since 87.

I don't think they'll win the league as I think City are too strong. Only thing I'll say about the City game is that they are missing Kompany and Toure Yaya for that game. They looked poor at the back today

lyonhibs
11-01-2012, 09:30 PM
:hilarious:hilarious:hilarious

No.

In case this wasn't previously obvious, I'm not of a Spurs persuasion :greengrin

Sir David Gray
11-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Of course they CAN.

They won't though.

They'll finish well clear in 3rd place behind both Manchester clubs.

Eyrie
11-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Agree with Falkirk Hibee.

I don't follow any particular English team, but Spurs are playing the most watchable football right now.

Holmesdale Hibs
11-01-2012, 10:18 PM
The Spurs midfield 4 of Bale, Van der Vaart, Modric and Parker is the best in the Premiership. Defence and strikers are good but I think overall city have a stronger starting 11 and definitely a stronger squad.

I'd like to see them win it but think they'll finish 3rd behind city and united (can't decide the order). Spurs would be a good bet for the FA cup.

hibee92
11-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Best football in the league by a mile, a work ethic and squad morale that rivals most and a manager that is arguably the best English manager out there, actually he is the best english manager and one of the best managers in general. A chairman and board that aren't scared of spending and trust the manager completely. A left back, a consistent injury free centre half and maybe another striker assuming Pavlyuchenko leaves and I think they can win it.

Edit - they also have, in my opinion, the best midfield in the league.

fatbloke
11-01-2012, 10:28 PM
IMHO yes.

Pretty Boy
11-01-2012, 10:31 PM
I'm of a Spurs persuasion and it's the best team I've seen them have since 87.

I don't think they'll win the league as I think City are too strong. Only thing I'll say about the City game is that they are missing Kompany and Toure Yaya for that game. They looked poor at the back today

Agree you may fall a bit short in the league but the FA Cup must be a realistic aim.

Although not sure that's allowed since the year doesn't.end in 1.

Scouse Hibee
11-01-2012, 11:02 PM
It would certainly upset a few City fans if after seeing of the challenge of Utd they missed out to Spurs!

Bad Martini
11-01-2012, 11:14 PM
No. They canny. And won't,

ENDOF

El Gubbz
11-01-2012, 11:26 PM
one of the first player they bought was called Fanny Walden

NOLA
12-01-2012, 08:14 AM
no danger.

Green_one
12-01-2012, 08:24 AM
I very much doubt they can. I think both Manchester clubs are better than them, plus United have been over the turf before. Top 4 looks good though and that would have been a sucess at the start of the season. Possibly third. Getting Europe gives them a better chance of keeping players. I suppose if they get anything from the City game the expectations will rise. Decent bet for the FA cup

I like watching Spurs and them winning it would be more refreshing than City. Harry has spent a shed load of money on that side though.

Making Arsenal's and Chelsea's life much more difficult. Interesting league this year for many reasons.

The_Exile
12-01-2012, 09:10 AM
I've been a Spurs fan longer than a Hibs fan, was thh Gary Mabbut connection, I was diagnosed a diabetic in 1991 and he was captain of Spurs at the time, a type 1 Diabetic captaining Spurs and playing for England, anything was possible!

For what it's worth I don't think we're strong enough in regard to squad depth to win the league, but we'll get a champions league spot and have plenty cash to spend next year so can improve the squad, depends on who stays and who goes in the summer, I think we'll struggle in this years run in with injuries and suspensions.

TheEastTerrace
12-01-2012, 10:26 AM
I'd like to see Spurs win it, simply because they currently play the best football in the Premier League and I like their philosophy.

Sadly, I think Spurs won't win it. I think City and Utd have the resources to step it up another gear once the run-in intensifies. Acid test for them is City away next weekend.

Joy to watch though.

Albion Hibs
12-01-2012, 11:16 AM
No chance.

I think they will be fighting it out with arsenal for 4th at best.

I can see them blowing up shortly.

Gus
12-01-2012, 11:30 AM
I very much doubt they can. I think both Manchester clubs are better than them, plus United have been over the turf before. Top 4 looks good though and that would have been a sucess at the start of the season. Possibly third. Getting Europe gives them a better chance of keeping players. I suppose if they get anything from the City game the expectations will rise. Decent bet for the FA cup

I like watching Spurs and them winning it would be more refreshing than City. Harry has spent a shed load of money on that side though.

Making Arsenal's and Chelsea's life much more difficult. Interesting league this year for many reasons.

Compared to to the Manchester clubs, Chelsea & Liverpool Spurs have not spent alot on the current crop

Friedel - Peanuts (Free)
King - Youth
Gallas - Free
Bale - £10 Million
Modric - £16 Million
Van der Vaart - £7 Million
Pav - £10 Million (another rebrov)
Parker - £7 Million

So for those 8 players Chelsea bought Torres for the same figure :na na:

I'm a Spurs fan & I would love for us to do it. But I agree City have a stronger squad & united have the experience.

Spurs will probably beat City & United but then get beat by Wigan, Wolves, Bolton etc.....

allezsauzee
12-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Harry is one of Fergie's acolytes. If Man City are above Man United then they have a chance. If United are above City and Fergie says naw then they cannae win it.

Hibs Class
12-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Of course they CAN.

They won't though.

Agree with Falkirk Hibee.

I don't follow any particular English team, but Spurs are playing the most watchable football right now.

I agree with FH too - I think they may well run Utd close for second place. :greengrin

Winston Ingram
12-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Best football in the league by a mile, a work ethic and squad morale that rivals most and a manager that is arguably the best English manager out there, actually he is the best english manager and one of the best managers in general. A chairman and board that aren't scared of spending and trust the manager completely. A left back, a consistent injury free centre half and maybe another striker assuming Pavlyuchenko leaves and I think they can win it.

Edit - they also have, in my opinion, the best midfield in the league.

Don't agree re left back. BAE is brilliant and Rose has looked the part when he's played as well. Spurs squad is deep enough accept up front. If Adebayor gets injured they don't have a quality alternative.

HKhibby
12-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Top 4!

United
Spurs
City
Chelsea

yorkshire hib
12-01-2012, 03:53 PM

no

The_Exile
12-01-2012, 03:58 PM
they don't have a quality alternative.

Jermaine Defoe?

yorkshire hib
12-01-2012, 04:02 PM
I agree with FH too - I think they may well run Utd close for second place. :greengrin
agree

HibsNutter
12-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Jermaine Defoe?

Compared to other players in that league, I wouldn't say he was 'Quality'. He would cut it up here, though..:wink:

Hermit Crab
12-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Of course they CAN.

They won't though.

1st place - Man Blue
2nd place - Man Red
3rd place - Spurs
4th place - Chelsea
5th place - Liverpool
6th place - Arsenal.

My predictions :wink:

Winston Ingram
12-01-2012, 05:53 PM
I've been a Spurs fan longer than a Hibs fan, was thh Gary Mabbut connection, I was diagnosed a diabetic in 1991 and he was captain of Spurs at the time, a type 1 Diabetic captaining Spurs and playing for England, anything was possible!

For what it's worth I don't think we're strong enough in regard to squad depth to win the league, but we'll get a champions league spot and have plenty cash to spend next year so can improve the squad, depends on who stays and who goes in the summer, I think we'll struggle in this years run in with injuries and suspensions.

I think Spurs will struggle up front but elsewhere I think they drowning in quality cover.

Adebayor is massive for Spurs due to his power and pace as this as he is a major source of possession for the midfield. If anything happens to him it leaves Defoe or Pav who are a massive source of possession for the opposition

Winston Ingram
12-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Compared to other players in that league, I wouldn't say he was 'Quality'. He would cut it up here, though..:wink:

This. He gives the ball away to much and his major strength is allegedly finishing. It's not, it's striking the ball well and unfortunately he usually strikes it brilliantly straight at the keeper. You'll rarely see him being creative, it's usually just thump it with the laces:agree:

Dashing Bob S
12-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Great first eleven, if they can keep injury free, they have to have a chance. I've a sneaking suspicion they'll be second behind City, with United and Chelsea and possibly Arsenal, fighting for 3rd and 4th.

The rest don't really count.