PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Michael Nelson

SteveHFC
10-01-2012, 08:32 PM
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/294845

KILMARNOCK have agreed a deal to keep Dean Shiels for the rest of the season and then fought off a late-bid from Hibs to land experienced Scunthorpe defender Michael Nelson.

I'm_cabbaged
10-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Oh dear. Getting beat to players by the likes of killie (no disrespect intended) doesn't bode well at all.

erin go bragh
10-01-2012, 08:40 PM

KILMARNOCK have agreed a deal to keep Dean Shiels for the rest of the season and then fought off a late-bid from Hibs to land experienced Scunthorpe defender Michael Nelson.

Sad times when were getting out bid for players by killie [who are ment to be tom flint]

ggtth

Albion Hibs
10-01-2012, 08:42 PM
I am not surprised Shiels has not come back, why would he? I cant see him having any interest in playing for Hibs. He is playing in a team that is doing well and he is doing well for them, more to the point his old man is the gaffer.

As for the other boy, a bit disappointing if true, provided he was any good....and of course that we were actually in for him!

bingo70
10-01-2012, 08:45 PM
I would guess this is who fenlon was talking about when he said we would struggle to attract players due to our league position, I doubt if we lost out due to money.

It does show that business can and should be getting done at this stage of the transfer window and not last minute like we normally do

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-01-2012, 08:48 PM
The newspaper article doesn't go into a lot of detail. The defender has come north to get regular football. Maybe Shiels has offered him a shirt every week and Fenlon asked him to fight for a place? Noted on the telly early that Shiels said if he signed Deeks, his remit would be to go out and play and not give defending a second thought. He was always getting caned on here for being a lazyerse. That would make Killie a better option for him than us. Point being, that it is not always down to pounds, shillings and pence.

DirtyDeeds
10-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Whinge, Greet, Moan. Why is it perceived its purely down to finance that we've 'missed out' on this Nelson guy (assuming we were in)?

As PF has stated, we've got a hard gig convincing players to join us given we could be bottom after Dunfermline's game in hand. Killie are a far better side than us just now and were a far better side last season. Not rocket science to believe he's thought we're garbage and not been interested. Nothing like folk desperate for a stick to beat the club with.

A ton of folk are getting exceptionally drama queen-esque in their reactions to our transfer activity and its so boring. Give it a rest.

Barney McGrew
10-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Sad times when were getting out bid for players by killie [who are ment to be tom flint]ggtth

Where does it say we were outbid?

Hibernia Na Eir
10-01-2012, 08:52 PM
quite glad neither of the above two coming to Hibs. I was and am expecting better names than this!!
I'd rather take a talented Irishman than an English lower league mercenary.

Danderhall Hibs
10-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Where does it say we were outbid?

It doesn't. Maybe the guy had given Killie/Shiels his word and stood by it when we came in late.

Not like a footballer to keep his word if money's ionvolved but maybe that's what it was.

PeterboroHibee
10-01-2012, 09:29 PM
It doesn't. Maybe the guy had given Killie/Shiels his word and stood by it when we came in late.

Not like a footballer to keep his word if money's ionvolved but maybe that's what it was.

It does sound like we came in at the last minute, and whilst we may offer slightly better wages, our league position probably wouldnt be enough to change his mind if he was already set on Killie. Never good to lose out on players to other teams but we need to move on.

essexhibee
10-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Who needs a Scunthorpe defender when you have sir sean ohanlon?

Some of you need to take real long hard look at yerselves. :confused:

:greengrin

Sammy7nil
10-01-2012, 09:46 PM
"English lower league mercenary."

eh ! I must have missed that quote in the article :wink:

basehibby
10-01-2012, 11:01 PM
V disappointing that we have lost out to Killie on not one but TWO players. Not really surprising with Deano as he seems to be enjoying his time there.

I doubt that Killie have offered more financially to these players but it certainly doesn't suggest that we've been pushing the boat out to get them. When push comes to shove though that's exactly what might have to be done as it is imperative that players are brought in to significantly strengthen the team for the second half of the season.

fatbloke
10-01-2012, 11:07 PM

They are more skint than HOMOFC so how the hell can they afford to add to the squad.

SteveHFC
10-01-2012, 11:08 PM
I think we will leave things to late to buy players. Like last year.

scoopyboy
10-01-2012, 11:12 PM
V disappointing that we have lost out to Killie on not one but TWO players. Not really surprising with Deano as he seems to be enjoying his time there.

I doubt that Killie have offered more financially to these players but it certainly doesn't suggest that we've been pushing the boat out to get them. When push comes to shove though that's exactly what might have to be done as it is imperative that players are brought in to significantly strengthen the team for the second half of the season.

Were we after Deano?

monktonharp
10-01-2012, 11:23 PM
I think we will leave things to late to buy players. Like last year.
that's it in a nutshell when it comes to Hibs. why can they not get the finger out?:confused: we've shipped a few out in the last few weeks, it is time to bring a few in, and not on the 11th hour of the window closure. Fenlon can say, it's not that simple,or things in the pipeline,we've had such and such training,looking at so and so, etc etc but the crutch o' the matter is: we have a problem and we need points,bloody well soon and lots of them and it does not look like we've got the staff that are up for a fight. hard grafters,experienced and hopefully a bit o' quality but 100% triers will do, to the end of this abysmal season for me.

...WentToMowAnSPL
10-01-2012, 11:46 PM
Whinge, Greet, Moan. .

Thanks for that DD - saved me typing :-)

Sir David Gray
10-01-2012, 11:49 PM
No idea if this guy is any good or not but it's a sign of the times when Kilmarnock is seen as being a better option than Hibs.

A bit like in the summer when St Johnstone was a more attractive option than we were for Cillian Sheridan.

Four or five years ago, these clubs would have been no threat whatsoever to us in terms of our signing targets. How things have changed and not for the better.

flood
11-01-2012, 06:16 AM
They are more skint than HOMOFC so how the hell can they afford to add to the squad.

Killies debt to the bank is now approx 8.5M(+1M to old owner, which he will likely never see!) against a turnover of approx 6-7M. Most of the debt has now been the cost of the 4star hotel that they own. They have made a profit and reduced their debt in about 3 out of the last 4-5 years. They were also one of the few teams to turn a profit last year in the SPL, while still reducing the debt further.

Nothing like hearts mess.

Matty_Jack04
11-01-2012, 06:18 AM
No idea if this guy is any good or not but it's a sign of the times when Kilmarnock is seen as being a better option than Hibs.

A bit like in the summer when St Johnstone was a more attractive option than we were for Cillian Sheridan.

Four or five years ago, these clubs would have been no threat whatsoever to us in terms of our signing targets. How things have changed and not for the better.

More of a sign of the times when we're bothered killie have beat us too a guy who can't get a game for Scunthorpe ...who cares plenty time left anyone who signs now won't play against Dumf on sat anyway.

As for Deano it's never been actually said we where even in for him to begin with and even if we where he's no gonna bump his old man is he

Dr Jimmy
11-01-2012, 06:22 AM

It could also be the managerial merry go round, the fans booing the players off the park every week and the constant bitching on fans forums that is making players choose other clubs ahead of us....?

Cropley10
11-01-2012, 06:25 AM

We reap what we sow. Too many consecutive bad decisions and neglect of the team on the park.

Beefster
11-01-2012, 06:32 AM
It could also be the managerial merry go round, the fans booing the players off the park every week and the constant bitching on fans forums that is making players choose other clubs ahead of us....?

Yup. Not only is it the support's fault that we're mince on the park and that Hibs are losing money, it's now the support's fault that players are choosing to join smaller teams than us.

We're the worst support in the world ever, don't you know.

Don Giovanni
11-01-2012, 06:59 AM
Were we after Deano?

No idea whether we were in for Deano or not but given the poverty of talent we have in midfield and his excellent form for Killie (he ran the show against us at Easter Road) maybe we should have made enquiries - not to say he would have joined of course.

IWasThere2016
11-01-2012, 07:35 AM
We reap what we sow. Too many consecutive bad decisions and neglect of the team on the park.

:top marks

Yup. Not only is it the support's fault that we're mince on the park and that Hibs are losing money, it's now the support's fault that players are choosing to join smaller teams than us.

I blame these tossers that just go to away games! :wink: :greengrin

truehibernian
11-01-2012, 07:49 AM

How many goals has Cillian got thus far ? I would say we shouldn't really be losing sleep over 'losing out' on a player who had already had a good relationship with McInnes and St Johnstone and was offered (no doubt) the same terms. Footballers, like other professions, can be creatures of habit and they can go to where they know they are already welcome - Cillian had mates there, knew the regime, and it's no great loss (nor is it a slight on Sheridan) that he chose them over us. Hibs have no divine right to sign anyone and terms offered to players don't really vary that greatly. I'd far rather we buy Leigh Griffiths than pay a large loan fee (or subsidise wages) for the likes of Sheridan if I am being honest.

Dr Jimmy
11-01-2012, 08:14 AM

Not what I meant, but what ever floats your boat :rolleyes:

Iain G
11-01-2012, 08:28 AM
How many goals has Cillian got thus far ? I would say we shouldn't really be losing sleep over 'losing out' on a player who had already had a good relationship with McInnes and St Johnstone and was offered (no doubt) the same terms. Footballers, like other professions, can be creatures of habit and they can go to where they know they are already welcome - Cillian had mates there, knew the regime, and it's no great loss (nor is it a slight on Sheridan) that he chose them over us. Hibs have no divine right to sign anyone and terms offered to players don't really vary that greatly. I'd far rather we buy Leigh Griffiths than pay a large loan fee (or subsidise wages) for the likes of Sheridan if I am being honest.

IIRC we were trying to sign Sheridan and didnt agree a fee, while St Johnstone was a loan deal.

We will sign players, I'd rather we took another few days to make sure they are the right ones we need right now than some journeyman centre back and another ex-player who hardly set the heather on fire in his first spell with us.

In PF we need to trust :agree:

Spike Mandela
11-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Sad times when were getting out bid for players by killie [who are ment to be tom flint]

ggtth

Did these players not see the fabulous training centre and stadium facilities?:rolleyes::wink:

Tha Cabbage Kid
11-01-2012, 08:59 AM
maybe if we are going to sign this mcpake then this nelson guy was maybe told he will be required but not garenteed an atomatic start. where as he my be required as indespensible for killie.

we dont know what was asked of him for either of the clubs.

may not be all bad thats all im saying

Tha Cabbage Kid
11-01-2012, 09:00 AM
The newspaper article doesn't go into a lot of detail. The defender has come north to get regular football. Maybe Shiels has offered him a shirt every week and Fenlon asked him to fight for a place? Noted on the telly early that Shiels said if he signed Deeks, his remit would be to go out and play and not give defending a second thought. He was always getting caned on here for being a lazyerse. That would make Killie a better option for him than us. Point being, that it is not always down to pounds, shillings and pence.

sorry northen hibby just read your post.

JimBHibees
11-01-2012, 09:31 AM
maybe if we are going to sign this mcpake then this nelson guy was maybe told he will be required but not garenteed an atomatic start. where as he my be required as indespensible for killie.

we dont know what was asked of him for either of the clubs.

may not be all bad thats all im saying

There may also be the point that we may not be signing McPake which is why we were trying to get Nelson last minute if indeed we were interested at all.

Beefster
11-01-2012, 09:58 AM

Not what I meant, but what ever floats your boat :rolleyes:

Hmmm.

SMAXXA
11-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Emailed my mate whos a Scunthorpe Fan (Season Ticket Holder) re the Nelson boy and this was his response -

Awesome last season, big no nonsense hard man. Great in the air. Been well known as one of the best Centre half's in the lower leagues in England for ages - has been awesome against us in the past.

This season - awful. Keeps getting caught out of position and forwards have been outpacing him. Our manager doesn’t like old players so I suspect he doesn’t want to put the effort in to get him back in to some form (not even played him in the reserves).
If he clicks for you, great signing - worry is his appetite has gone when he had to leave Norwich last season.

keep the faith
11-01-2012, 10:09 AM

I would agree with that and its a really valid point

vanNISHtelroy
11-01-2012, 10:50 AM
maybe if we are going to sign this mcpake then this nelson guy was maybe told he will be required but not garenteed an atomatic start. where as he my be required as indespensible for killie

from what I've heard from folk (which means its most likely total bull) he's seen as a starter with Pasca moving into midfield and Fowler going to right back because Buijs and Pursehouse are injured.

Dr Jimmy
11-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Hmmm.

I would have thought that as I have stated that was not my intent that would have been enough, but clearly not.
I bow to your superior knowledge of my own thoughts ....:applause:

Dashing Bob S
11-01-2012, 12:30 PM
This Nelson looks like he may have an eye for goal.

johnrebus
11-01-2012, 12:37 PM

We ain't signing him.

Best just to turn a blind eye.

Will eventually turn up with Hamilton.

There is a column of defenders out there we should be looking at. Maybe Hardy would be worth a look at?

:cb

sesoim
11-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Much as I think Fenlon can go on to be a good manager for Hibs, I think his lack of standing in the game could be a problem for us just now when it comes to getting players. Alex McLeish wasn't a great manager, but he was very well known. Would Fenlon have managed to have attracted Franck Sauzee to Hibs? (and bear in mind Sauzee was only initially on £3k a week, which even in today's money wouldn't have been a huge outlay).

I think we might have to accept just a few good loan signings to tide us over till the summer, then it will be a case of starting from scratch (again) next year.

Dashing Bob S
11-01-2012, 02:20 PM
We ain't signing him.

There is a column of defenders out there we should be looking at. Maybe Hardy would be worth a look at?

I think we can kiss that one goodbye.

Sir David Gray
11-01-2012, 02:35 PM

I'm not saying I'm disappointed to have lost out on Sheridan but the fact is we were after him in the summer and he chose to go to St Johnstone instead.

We had him on trial in the summer and at the time he seemed quite optimistic about his time with Hibs and suggested that he was looking to get a deal with us.

A couple of weeks later, St Johnstone came in and he's off there.

WindyMiller
11-01-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm not saying I'm disappointed to have lost out on Sheridan but the fact is we were after him in the summer and he chose to go to St Johnstone instead.

We had him on trial in the summer and at the time he seemed quite optimistic about his time with Hibs and suggested that he was looking to get a deal with us.

A couple of weeks later, St Johnstone came in and he's off there.

Perhaps the deal with St J suited Sofia better than our offer?

snooky
11-01-2012, 04:39 PM
We ain't signing him.

Or end up with a column in the Daily Weege.

johnrebus
11-01-2012, 06:32 PM
I think we can kiss that one goodbye.

Ach, its all a bit of armless fun

Not a patch on signing Napolean though, that would be a real Victory.

A'll get ma coat............,

Eyrie
11-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Wasn't Napoleon a Gunner though?

greenlex
12-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Has Nelson actually put pen to paper with Killie?
SSN just reporting he has had his contract with Scunny terminated by mutual consent but no mention of Killie.:hmmm:

basehibby
12-01-2012, 04:22 PM

:agree: He could've marshalled our defence single handed