PDA

View Full Version : Ten Days In

scuttle
10-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Here we are 10 days into the transfer window and no new players as of yet. One of the biggest games so far this season only a few days ahead,anybody else getting worried about the lack of activity in the transfer market. What is the stumbling block is it lack of finances, inflated transfer fees or is it players just dont want to come to Easter Road.Hopefully things will start to happen this week but starting to get really worried

hibsforeurope
10-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Doyle??

Gatecrasher
10-01-2012, 12:15 PM
So Doyle doesn't count?

Mikey
10-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Here we are 10 days into the transfer window and no new players as of yet.

You're not really doing yourself any favours if you can't even get the basics right.

Betty Boop
10-01-2012, 12:21 PM
According to a text I got from the Evening News, Fenlon says our league position is putting players off comimg to Easter Road.

scuttle
10-01-2012, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=hibsforeurope;3069181]Doyle??[/QUOTE
]Signed before the window opened was he not ,but one singing is not exactly a sunami

SMAXXA
10-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Here we are 10 days into the transfer window and no new players as of yet. One of the biggest games so far this season only a few days ahead,anybody else getting worried about the lack of activity in the transfer market. What is the stumbling block is it lack of finances, inflated transfer fees or is it players just dont want to come to Easter Road.Hopefully things will start to happen this week but starting to get really worried

Im no!

I would rather wait for the right players and take a defeat to Dunfy with this lot and improve for the remainder of the season if it means we have to wait another couple of weeks to get the right players in, so be it.

PatHead
10-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Must admit I am thinking the same way. I can't believe no new signings have been made yet. (Both Doyle and Griffiths could well have been sorted before window opened.) I am really disappointed that no centre half, right back and or a leader on the park in midfield has been secured. I realise he would want to make his mind up about the existing squad and give them a chance but surely BB's job would have been to brief him about our shortcomings and the goals against column would let him know how bad things were.

Franck is God
10-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Technically it is two signings as Leigh Griffiths has signed to the end of the season as well.

Gatecrasher
10-01-2012, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=hibsforeurope;3069181]Doyle??[/QUOTE
]Signed before the window opened was he not ,but one singing is not exactly a sunami

If your expecting a Sunami then in think you will be disapointed. I think its more likely we will sign a few players to improve the first team and allow us to concentrate on staying up, and Doyle was registered with Hibs in January

scuttle
10-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Technically it is two signings as Leigh Griffiths has signed to the end of the season as well.
I was aware of Griffiths,what I said was NEW payers,so technically that means were safe now does it

LancsHibs
10-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Ten days in but Twenty one to go! NO NEED TO PANIC :cb

dangermouse
10-01-2012, 12:33 PM

Pat Fenlon provides the answer for you (http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/other-sport/pat_fenlon_says_hibs_poor_record_makes_recruitment _hard_1_2046291)

YehButNoBut
10-01-2012, 12:35 PM
According to a text I got from the Evening News, Fenlon says our league position is putting players off comimg to Easter Road.

Story here with this quote from Fenlon, looks like we will have to be patient.

Asked about the calibre of player he’s seeking, Fenlon said: “We are talking about some decent quality players at the moment. Getting them in and convincing them to come to Hibs is a hard task and obviously our league position doesn’t help. But our plan is to get us up the table and the players that come in will have to be strong characters and that’s probably why it’s taking a bit longer.”

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/european/pat_fenlon_says_hibs_poor_record_makes_recruitment _hard_1_2046291

Spike Mandela
10-01-2012, 12:35 PM

He's signed an extension, not really a new addition. He has been here for the disastrous first half of the season.

Franck is God
10-01-2012, 12:37 PM
I was aware of Griffiths,what I said was NEW payers,so technically that means were safe now does it

At this point every team in the land is working out which players they want for the remainder of the season (as are we) and very few deals have been completed in any league so far and the majority that have are loans or pre-contracts.

We have signed Doyle, re-signed Griffiths, we are being heavily linked with a centre half (McPake) and a few right backs including Neil Austin. We have also been linked with Stephen Hughes, Dean Shiels and a number of players Fenlon has previously managed.

I would like a few of these guys to come in before the weekend but if they don't arrive until later in the window I am sure it will not be a lack of effort from Hibs that causes it.

Saorsa
10-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Pat Fenlon provides the answer for you (http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/other-sport/pat_fenlon_says_hibs_poor_record_makes_recruitment _hard_1_2046291)Well we better hope he can persuade a few decent players tae come here otherwise we're really in the http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/smilies 2/turd4.gif

BEEJ
10-01-2012, 12:42 PM
We have signed Doyle, re-signed Griffiths, we are being heavily linked with a centre half (McPake) and a few right backs including Neil Austin. We have also been linked with Stephen Hughes, Dean Shiels and a number of players Fenlon has previously managed.

I would like a few of these guys to come in before the weekend but if they don't arrive until later in the window I am sure it will not be a lack of effort from Hibs that causes it.
Read somewhere that the Coventry Manager won't send McPake out on loan until he has a 'replacement' in.

So that one doesn't sound imminent either.

Spike Mandela
10-01-2012, 12:42 PM
At this point every team in the land is working out which players they want for the remainder of the season (as are we) and very few deals have been completed in any league so far and the majority that have are loans or pre-contracts.

Would be disappointing if we face this massive game, in terms of points and morale, without addressing the problem areas of defence and midfield creativity. Yes all teams are trying to pick up deals in this window but our need is greater than most, surely.

Franck is God
10-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Would be disappointing if we face this massive game, in terms of points and morale, without addressing the problem areas of defence and midfield creativity. Yes all teams are trying to pick up deals in this window but our need is greater than most, surely.

Unfortunately telling the 'selling club' that we really need a player and that we'll be their best friend forever is unlikely to make a deal happen faster....

Sir David Gray
10-01-2012, 12:58 PM
I know there's still time but I did expect a couple more players to have signed before the Dunfermline match this weekend.

It's a game we really must win and with the team we're likely to put out on Saturday, if we don't sign any new players, I'm really not confident at all that they'll be capable of winning this match.

In terms of the bigger picture, though, there's still 3 weeks of the window left so I'm not concerned about a lack of faces just yet.

As for the comment by Fenlon, I'm not surprised at all that we're finding it hard to entice players to the club. He has a really tough job on his hands and I don't envy him one bit.

Andy74
10-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Must admit I am thinking the same way. I can't believe no new signings have been made yet. (Both Doyle and Griffiths could well have been sorted before window opened.) I am really disappointed that no centre half, right back and or a leader on the park in midfield has been secured. I realise he would want to make his mind up about the existing squad and give them a chance but surely BB's job would have been to brief him about our shortcomings and the goals against column would let him know how bad things were.

Every year without fail we get the same stuff written, as if you just decide you want someone and they magically appear.

You are as deluded as the average yam if you think that everyone at the club is just sitting about until the day you read someone has signed.

And yes, as ever, we don't count the two we've secured for some reason. Both of whom scored last week!

Oh aye, and the other classic - we have a big game this week we need new players for. A player is for the term of his contract not just for the next Saturday.

down the slope
10-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Every year without fail we get the same stuff written, as if you just decide you want someone and they magically appear.

You are as deluded as the average yam if you think that everyone at the club is just sitting about until the day you read someone has signed.

And yes, as ever, we don't count the two we've secured for some reason. Both of whom scored last week!

Oh aye, and the other classic - we have a big game this week we need new players for. A player is for the term of his contract not just for the next Saturday.

Yeah no rush at all , we are sitting pretty and even if we get relegated things will be just fine !. Just because fans want the best for Hibs there is no need to call them yams.

Craig_in_Prague
10-01-2012, 01:13 PM
There's bigger and better clubs (with plenty money) than Hibs that need to be patient in the transfer window.

Whilst moves have been made to get rid of some players that have hardly played at all this season or whom have had very little impact. So trust in Pat, give him time and don't moan every day there's no additional players. Chill oot and have faith.

Dalianwanda
10-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Yeah no rush at all , we are sitting pretty and even if we get relegated things will be just fine !. Just because fans want the best for Hibs there is no need to call them yams.

We all want the best for Hibs..We are were we are because the of the previous manager & the players he left us with. We need to get better than we have and as Fenlon states thats not an easy task in our current position. Can you name any manager that says the winter window is a good time to buy? Even the clubs in good positions with more money find it difficult at this time of year to bring the right players in.. Hopefully Pat can persuade a couple of players (who are better than what we have and keen to join up) in this window..I'm sure it's not for lack of trying if we dont.

PatHead
10-01-2012, 01:16 PM

No need to get personal. As far as I am aware I have never written this before and I realise there is no sprinkle of fairy dust making these players appear. At no stage did I say everyone was sitting around. I did express disappointment and surprise that we don't have more signings. The 2 who you mention were with Hibs before the transfer window in some form and I am surprised others hadn't been lined up.

Finally, yes it would be better if we had a solid centre half before Saturday and yes it is a really big game.

Spike Mandela
10-01-2012, 01:21 PM

So we have secured two and not one according to you. Let's extend the contracts of all the first team squad and hey ho we have secured atound 20 odd players.

Yes we all know it is difficult to sign players in January but surely this is not a surprise to Hibs management. I am sure they knew the window opened on the 1st of January. They will have identified players a long time ago especially for our problem areas. Normally Hibs can wait to last minute and pick up deals at right price but with our current plight it might be worth upping the ante and giving our top targets an offer they can't refuse.

Yes players are there for a contracts length and not just one game but many are likely to be short term deals so as well to get them in early window and get a few more games out them. After all it would have been good to have a few new faces at Ayr last year but by end of the month it was too late to salvage any cup run.

WestEndHibee
10-01-2012, 01:32 PM

Definition of "Scuttle":1. Nautical
a) to cut open a hole or holes in a ship's hull
b) to sink a ship by this means.

Something smells yammy.

However I believe that sifting out the bad eggs is much more valuable at the moment that bringing in more players. Players like Agogo, Palsson and Welsh are exactly the sort of characters that Hibs don't need at the moment. They bring nothing to the team anymore yet think of themselves as the bees knees. They don't care much whether we get relegated, as long as they get paid. Players like that are causing disruption which is completely toxic to a team that are in a relegation fight. Once they've been put aside Hibs can think more about new signings

scuttle
10-01-2012, 01:54 PM

Definition of "Scuttle":1. Nautical
a) to cut open a hole or holes in a ship's hull
b) to sink a ship by this means.

Something smells yammy.

However I believe that sifting out the bad eggs is much more valuable at the moment that bringing in more players. Players like Agogo, Palsson and Welsh are exactly the sort of characters that Hibs don't need at the moment. They bring nothing to the team anymore yet think of themselves as the bees knees. They don't care much whether we get relegated, as long as they get paid. Players like that are causing disruption which is completely toxic to a team that are in a relegation fight. Once they've been put aside Hibs can think more about new signings

Thanks a lot mate, I can take getting abuse as earlier on this thread ,i can take our team being s**** at the moment and our lack of activity in the transfer window ,but to be accused of being a YAM YOU ARE SKATING ON THE THINEST OF THIN ICE. Scuttle is a reference to my nautical past and has no other hidden meanings so GIRFUY

dangermouse
10-01-2012, 02:02 PM
So we have secured two and not one according to you. Let's extend the contracts of all the first team squad and hey ho we have secured atound 20 odd players.

Yes we all know it is difficult to sign players in January but surely this is not a surprise to Hibs management. I am sure they knew the window opened on the 1st of January. They will have identified players a long time ago especially for our problem areas. Normally Hibs can wait to last minute and pick up deals at right price but with our current plight it might be worth upping the ante and giving our top targets an offer they can't refuse.

Yes players are there for a contracts length and not just one game but many are likely to be short term deals so as well to get them in early window and get a few more games out them. After all it would have been good to have a few new faces at Ayr last year but by end of the month it was too late to salvage any cup run.

A pedant writes; But it is two players secured as Griffiths would have been away back to Wolves after the cup tie if his loan hadn't been extended. The rest of the first team squad have deals until May/June or beyond so thats not the same as securing a player for the rest of this season.

WestEndHibee
10-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks a lot mate, I can take getting abuse as earlier on this thread ,i can take our team being s**** at the moment and our lack of activity in the transfer window ,but to be accused of being a YAM YOU ARE SKATING ON THE THINEST OF THIN ICE. Scuttle is a reference to my nautical past and has no other hidden meanings so GIRFUY

Huge number of apologies :greengrin. My logic seemed sound. I will probably pass on the GIRFUY bit though.

scuttle
10-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Huge number of apologies :greengrin. My logic seemed sound. I will probably pass on the GIRFUY bit though.

Your probably right there ,you know what they say about sailors

HFC 0-7
10-01-2012, 02:15 PM

Andy, clubs that get relegated can do so by a point or 2, so we really need to be making all efforts to get players in asap so that we have the best opportunity of getting some points. I take what you are saying about the club not sitting around doing anything but I really hope it isnt the club waiting it out to get the best deal for a play when it could potentially cost us more waiting and getting relegated.

If we leave a lot of deals to be concluded towards the end of the window you run the risk of them falling through for some reason and us having to look around last minte. I am sure this happened last time with Calderwood, him saying that a couple of signings fell through late on which didnt give us enough time to look for new players.

Barney McGrew
10-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Andy, clubs that get relegated can do so by a point or 2, so we really need to be making all efforts to get players in asap so that we have the best opportunity of getting some points. I take what you are saying about the club not sitting around doing anything but I really hope it isnt the club waiting it out to get the best deal for a play when it could potentially cost us more waiting and getting relegated.

If we leave a lot of deals to be concluded towards the end of the window you run the risk of them falling through for some reason and us having to look around last minte. I am sure this happened last time with Calderwood, him saying that a couple of signings fell through late on which didnt give us enough time to look for new players.

Spot on.

There's three games between now and when the window closes, and they're just as important as any after it shuts. I appreciate that deals can take time to sort out and it may be towards the end of the window when more players become available, but we really need new blood now not in three weeks time.

joebakerforever
10-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Story here with this quote from Fenlon, looks like we will have to be patient.

Asked about the calibre of player he’s seeking, Fenlon said: “We are talking about some decent quality players at the moment. Getting them in and convincing them to come to Hibs is a hard task and obviously our league position doesn’t help. But our plan is to get us up the table and the players that come in will have to be strong characters and that’s probably why it’s taking a bit longer.”

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/european/pat_fenlon_says_hibs_poor_record_makes_recruitment _hard_1_2046291

Additionally, I suspect that after the way the unsuccessful negotiations to recruit Cillian Sheridan were conducted, players agents will also be wary of dealing with our club :no way:

Craig_in_Prague
10-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Spot on.

There's three games between now and when the window closes, and they're just as important as any after it shuts. I appreciate that deals can take time to sort out and it may be towards the end of the window when more players become available, but we really need new blood now not in three weeks time.

Fenlon knows all this, right?

The fact is there's 2 parties (or more!) involved doing any deal, and as per Pat's comments he is trying to get decent quality in, which is harder than just signing anyone for the sake of it.
Do we want to improve, and over the medium-longer term as well as the short, or just keep signing loads of players every year, fail, change manager, and do the cycle over and over? Don't know about you, but I'm sick of it.... And more than happy to allow Pat the time to get in who he believes is the right type of player we need (ability + attitude/character).
Even big clubs with plenty dosh struggle to get what they want, either timewise or not at all.
So I think people are moaning again for the sake of moaning. Suppose it's the modern football fan, wanting it now, wanting it yesterday.

down-the-slope
10-01-2012, 02:43 PM
All the 'we need to make an effort' type posts are just stupid...so these people are suggesting there is lots of finger twiddling / staring into space going on at EM. :rolleyes:

SL made it clear that fans forum stuff needed to be 'put on hold' during Jan due to the level of time / effort needed in window. It just does not always follow that effort brings the desired result with players looking at options / agents horse trading etc

Also I don't get the logic of wanting player in at all cost before sat - a new (even decent) player with no time to meet / train with new team mates could be a total liability. Look at Doyle - he had a couple of weeks of training and it showed. But we need defenders and its much less forgiving place if you have not had chance to get used to team mates

Spike Mandela
10-01-2012, 02:44 PM
A pedant writes; But it is two players secured as Griffiths would have been away back to Wolves after the cup tie if his loan hadn't been extended. The rest of the first team squad have deals until May/June or beyond so thats not the same as securing a player for the rest of this season.

Whichever way you cut it he ain't a NEW addition, we just havent lost him for second half of season.

Spike Mandela
10-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Also I don't get the logic of wanting player in at all cost before sat - a new (even decent) player with no time to meet / train with new team mates could be a total liability. Look at Doyle - he had a couple of weeks of training and it showed. But we need defenders and its much less forgiving place if you have not had chance to get used to team mates

All the more reason to get them in early and up to speed, no?

nortonhibby
10-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Spot on.

Pat will have given his list of players he has identified to RP Who in turn will be playing hard ball with there Agents i can see this dragging out till the last day of the Window thats when the bargain deals are to be picked up.

Mikey
10-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Pat will have given his list of players he has identified to RP Who in turn will be playing hard ball with there Agents i can see this dragging out till the last day of the Window thats when the bargain deals are to be picked up.

RP doesn't deal with the agents.

nortonhibby
10-01-2012, 02:53 PM

Who does that job then ?

Barney McGrew
10-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Who does that job then ?

Scott Lindsay IIRC

down the slope
10-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Scott Lindsay IIRC

Oh good, a lawyer doing that bit instead of an accountant !. He is sure to be able to distinguish the different qualities of player on offer !!!.

dangermouse
Whichever way you cut it he ain't a NEW addition, we just havent lost him for second half of season.

I never said they were new :greengrin

SteveHFC
We better get some more players in or we are ******

marinello59
10-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Oh good, a lawyer doing that bit instead of an accountant !. He is sure to be able to distinguish the different qualities of player on offer !!!.

:confused: But our manager will have identified the players he wants. It doesn't take a football brain to negotiate a contract does it? Or am I missing something here?

nortonhibby
10-01-2012, 03:50 PM

At the end of the day it has to be RP That sanctions the deal after negotiations are completed the final decision is RPs

JimBHibees
10-01-2012, 03:51 PM
:confused: But our manager will have identified the players he wants. It doesn't take a football brain to negotiate a contract does it? Or am I missing something here?

But it would make sense for a lawyer to be dealing with concluding contracts, makes perfect sense to me. :greengrin

RIP
10-01-2012, 03:57 PM

Who does that job then ?

Scott Lindsay IIRC

Rod's an accountant and so is Scott. Petrie handed over all the contracts and negotiations last year. Presumably Scott works closely with Jamie Marwick the Finance Director.

And he's no a lawyer either :devil:

Walter
10-01-2012, 04:01 PM

No need to call him a peedo :cb

BRING BACK BREBNER

jdships
10-01-2012, 04:03 PM

20 days to go unless you have forgotten :rolleyes:

scuttle
10-01-2012, 04:07 PM
20 days to go unless you have forgotten :rolleyes:

21 is it not

CraigHibee
10-01-2012, 04:14 PM
In Pat We Trust!

:flag::flag::flag::pfgwa:pfgwa:pfgwa:flag::flag::f lag:

EasterRoad4Ever
10-01-2012, 04:34 PM

I don't believe that. Fenlon has to be able to sell a club like Hibs being in a false position in the League with one of the best infrastructures in Scotland. You could understand players balking at the Yams and Huns - given their financial situation.

Sounds like an excuse for Hibs wanting to pay peanuts as usual, and not getting new players in.

Barney McGrew
10-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Sounds like an excuse for Hibs wanting to pay peanuts as usual, and not getting new players in.

Since we have the fourth biggest wage spend in the SPL, what do the other clubs spend if we spend peanuts?

King Paddy
10-01-2012, 04:37 PM
EEN Pat Fenlon states their is a problem with players not wantimg to come to a club 11th in the SPL table. Looks like we might be stuck with a depleted squad as players such as Pallson,Thornhill etc are away. Propects may be enhanced v Dumfy with O'conner, Osbourne returning from injury.

nortonhibby
10-01-2012, 04:39 PM
I don't believe that. Fenlon has to be able to sell a club like Hibs being in a false position in the League with one of the best infrastructures in Scotland. You could understand players balking at the Yams and Huns - given their financial situation.

Paddy would have known the score when he got the GiG Its a work in progress the Jan transfer window is the worst time to bring players in.:pfgwa

weecounty hibby
10-01-2012, 04:40 PM
This surely can't be true. We have posters on here peeing their pants that DAFC are going to sign players from Hearts etc but they are below us! Players will come if they are offered a decent salary and outside the OF and Hearts we pay the best. Anyone choosing DAFC and some of the others just above us over us isn't worth having.

dangermouse
10-01-2012, 04:41 PM
No need to call him a peedo :cb

:confused:

Walter
10-01-2012, 05:19 PM
:confused:

Sorry, was acting the fool.

smurf
10-01-2012, 08:47 PM
We signed Franck Sauzee & Russell Latapy when in the First Division...

Not panicking at the lack off arrivals thus far. Just hope we get the quality that we desparately need...

down the slope
10-01-2012, 10:12 PM
At the end of the day it has to be RP That sanctions the deal after negotiations are completed the final decision is RPs

That's what worries me, he said a few months ago that CC WAS the man !. If he is involved you can bet it will be a total disaster !. The man is a liability and what if a few class players are the difference between us staying up or being relegated do you think he will spend the wee bit extra ?, no chance.

snooky
10-01-2012, 11:02 PM

Just wondered NH, is that's tongue in cheek? i.e. Bargain Basement - seconds and factory returns?

Normally we wait till the last five minutes of the window, put in a bid, have it refused and then say "well, we tried".
Desperate times need desperate measures! No p-ing around please - get the goods bought now!

c31
10-01-2012, 11:15 PM
The goods don't want to come - no confidence in the board to get our club back on track I'm afraid.

basehibby
11-01-2012, 01:18 AM

If that was the priority right now I'd be very worried indeed - it's quality players that we need and if it means paying the going rate or even a bit more then that's what we'll have to do. If we happen to get a good player for a knock down price then that's great - but it should not be the prime motivator of our signing policy.

Graham Law
11-01-2012, 04:20 AM

Some people's opinions may be that every DAY , never mind every year, we get pretty much the same post's from you Andy74, that say pretty much more or less the same thing but nobody I believe gets personal with you so I think its a bit strong with the yam statements.

I agree with Andy74 (although a very obvious point!) that we have no idea just how hard the Board, Management & Coaching & Scouts are working to secure signings and I would rather Pat wait for the right signings rather than what we have generally been feed over the last 3yrs with the exception of one or two.

I also think that think Pathead made his point and concerns in a decent manner and did not deserve the responses he received.

Having been in Australia for the last 18 months and thus only watching the games on TV [B] (although thanks to Hibs TV, I still watch every game and I still bought a season ticket for this season - so I am suffering just as bad :-( [B] I must admit that I find it much harder to contribute to conversations when you guys/girls are discussing how the team is performing as any football fan knows you never get a true view of a game or performance of players watching on TV / Computer Screen as you do actually being at the game.

But what does scare me is the massive split in the ranks amongst the supporters and the general atmosphere both at the games and on the sites.... Sad times just now guys and I may be getting it totally wrong from down in OZ but I really fear that we are heading for the drop this season.

GGTTH

truehibernian
11-01-2012, 08:33 AM
The goods don't want to come - no confidence in the board to get our club back on track I'm afraid.

Not being funny, but how do you know that ?

I am absolutely calm and unconcerned about the 'lack of activity' for two reasons -

Firstly, it's the first time in a long time I have felt so assured by a Hibernian manager and his comments. He is direct, forthright, frank and honest. He has had the benefit of two kinds of scenario in his managerial career thus far - he has had money and spent well which has brought titles in Ireland - he has also been on the other side of the coin and had no money and been left with 3 contracted players days before a season is to start, yet galvanised a team and led them to safety in the same league, having gone 3 months unpaid himself. If PF states that players are considering option given league position then of course, that's being honest and frank - but did he say they are not coming ? Players at this window are considering all options, and it may be the case that there are little bits of tidying up in the negotiations before they commit. A contract is a contract after all regardless of what league you are in (money wise), but there may be clauses causing delays (such as selling if relegated). That's just normal IMHO. Fenlon is also being coy, the typical Hibernian response to transfer talk and activity. He said after the Cowdenbeath game we were very close on a couple of things - still no reason to doubt him. You have to remember, paper talk is paper talk - remember 'Derek Riordan to Hearts' stories. Come on people, they are there to sell papers and be very economical with the truth and 'sensational' in their red top headlines.

Secondly - Given PF was in the unenviable position recently of having only 3 players in a squad before a season started, do you honestly believe a man (who already has shown to me some degree of intelligence) is going to tell/allow players to leave now/immediately without a contingency in place, that being new players or bringing through a couple of young players who he sees have talent (Caldwell, Handling, Stanton). I am 100% confident that PF has his targets, has already sounded them out well before the window opened, and that we will see a few fresh faces in, and the one's he actually wants.

As for the Killie player they signed Nelson - read what Scunny fans really think of him, and also remember that yep, we may have enquired, but their chairman MJ fairly likes a wee chat to the press and is always good copy as he likes to guild the lily IMHO somewhat when openly discussing other players or previous players. Killie are going well (and I like Killie so fairly pleased for them), but their chairman loves to make out that they have 'fought off stiff competition' to get players etc. They have tickets to sell too mind.

All in all, my message would be to relax a wee bit......fair few getting very uptight and seeing other sides sign players, but let's face it, no one has signed anyone that makes me think 'wow'. We've resigned a player (Griffiths) who we know is a decent player, and another (Doyle) who already looks a good acquisition....2 goals in 2 bounce games and a goal on his full debut meaning a Hibs victory for the first time in a while. Reasons to be cheerful already IMHO. Have faith in PF and Hibs.

Lucius Apuleius
11-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Far too sensible truehibernian. It will never catch on. Does not fit with the view of the board etc etc etc.

stokesmessiah
11-01-2012, 09:08 AM

I am absolutely calm and unconcerned about the 'lack of activity' for two reasons -

Firstly, it's the first time in a long time I have felt so assured by a Hibernian manager and his comments. He is direct, forthright, frank and honest. He has had the benefit of two kinds of scenario in his managerial career thus far - he has had money and spent well which has brought titles in Ireland - he has also been on the other side of the coin and had no money and been left with 3 contracted players days before a season is to start, yet galvanised a team and led them to safety in the same league, having gone 3 months unpaid himself. If PF states that players are considering option given league position then of course, that's being honest and frank - but did he say they are not coming ? Players at this window are considering all options, and it may be the case that there are little bits of tidying up in the negotiations before they commit. A contract is a contract after all regardless of what league you are in (money wise), but there may be clauses causing delays (such as selling if relegated). That's just normal IMHO. Fenlon is also being coy, the typical Hibernian response to transfer talk and activity. He said after the Cowdenbeath game we were very close on a couple of things - still no reason to doubt him. You have to remember, paper talk is paper talk - remember 'Derek Riordan to Hearts' stories. Come on people, they are there to sell papers and be very economical with the truth and 'sensational' in their red top headlines.

Secondly - Given PF was in the unenviable position recently of having only 3 players in a squad before a season started, do you honestly believe a man (who already has shown to me some degree of intelligence) is going to tell/allow players to leave now/immediately without a contingency in place, that being new players or bringing through a couple of young players who he sees have talent (Caldwell, Handling, Stanton). I am 100% confident that PF has his targets, has already sounded them out well before the window opened, and that we will see a few fresh faces in, and the one's he actually wants.

As for the Killie player they signed Nelson - read what Scunny fans really think of him, and also remember that yep, we may have enquired, but their chairman MJ fairly likes a wee chat to the press and is always good copy as he likes to guild the lily IMHO somewhat when openly discussing other players or previous players. Killie are going well (and I like Killie so fairly pleased for them), but their chairman loves to make out that they have 'fought off stiff competition' to get players etc. They have tickets to sell too mind.

All in all, my message would be to relax a wee bit......fair few getting very uptight and seeing other sides sign players, but let's face it, no one has signed anyone that makes me think 'wow'. We've resigned a player (Griffiths) who we know is a decent player, and another (Doyle) who already looks a good acquisition....2 goals in 2 bounce games and a goal on his full debut meaning a Hibs victory for the first time in a while. Reasons to be cheerful already IMHO. Have faith in PF and Hibs.

:top marks

Truehibernian, when i got up this morning and had a quick scan over the forum i have to admit i was less than happy and was indeed quite p'd off (this may also in part be due to me not having had a cigarette now for 11 days) however having read over your post it has managed to calm my nerves somewhat, all the points you make are true and it was well worth reiterating them.

I think the general gnashing of teeth by people on here is generally down to anger and confusion at our lowly status in the league but i am hopeful that PF is going to get us out of this.

nortonhibby
11-01-2012, 09:14 AM
If that was the priority right now I'd be very worried indeed - it's quality players that we need and if it means paying the going rate or even a bit more then that's what we'll have to do. If we happen to get a good player for a knock down price then that's great - but it should not be the prime motivator of our signing policy.

Regardless of price we need players in ASAP We are going into our biggest game of the season this weekend a new CH Was the priority.

Spike Mandela
11-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Far too sensible truehibernian. It will never catch on. Does not fit with the view of the board etc etc etc.

Every year we have this tit for tat on the messageboard about patience for signings and board doing all they can, need signings quick, spend some cash blah blah blah.

The truth of the matter on evidence of the past few years is that the vast majority of players we sign have been mediocre duds.

I know nothing about PF so I don't have FAITH that he will get it right, all I have is HOPE that a guy can step up to the plate and build a team good enough to stay in a league at a higher level than he has worked at before.

So, people can be as calm as they like about events or worry themselves in to a frenzy the fact is we just don't know what we are going to get.

jdships
11-01-2012, 10:11 AM

Good well thought out post :top marks
Do we really/honestly know that this Killie claim is correct ? :rolleyes:
Let's give PF a real chance to turn things around

:flag:

ahibby
11-01-2012, 10:53 AM
I don't think the problem is a lack of activity so far, in fact that doesn't concern me at all. I am concerned about the apparent lack of cohesivness in the teams we put out recently, which to be fair can be explained by players returning to fitness and the new manager getting to know who can do what. However, Victor Palsson isn't the only one in my view who needs to be shown the door. Until those players who I feel are not worth their place at the club are moved on then I will be concerned, even if we had brought in more than Doyle I would still be concerned that the club rates players good enough when the fans clearly see that they are not. That's the real concern for me.

Bohemian_Hibee
11-01-2012, 11:14 AM

Very good post truehibernian. Having seen first-hand how Nutsy has dealt with the two scenarios that you mentioned (loadsmoney and no money), I'm 100% confident he will not buy just for the sake of buying to appease certain elements of the support. We have had far too many 'polyfilla' signings over the last few years who were unable to fill in the cracks in the side.

GreenCastle
11-01-2012, 11:24 AM

:thumbsup:

Fenlon has shown already he's not afraid to let players go - sending out a clear message - if you don't apply yourself then your not needed.

I am sure he knows the type of player he wants to bring in - ideally we would have them now but I would prefer we wait and get players who want to be here rather than half committed players - which has been a big problem over the last few years. We do need players though - that is certain.

silverhibee
11-01-2012, 12:16 PM
This surely can't be true. We have posters on here peeing their pants that DAFC are going to sign players from Hearts etc but they are below us! Players will come if they are offered a decent salary and outside the OF and Hearts we pay the best. Anyone choosing DAFC and some of the others just above us over us isn't worth having.

But do we, we may have a bigger budget, well we keep getting told this but how do we know this, but do we pay higher wages than other clubs in the SPL.

Phil MaGlass
11-01-2012, 12:27 PM

Like succesive managers have done for the past 4 yrs ehm NOT.They(managers) seem to keep telling us where our problem areas are and then fail to do anything about it, pretty baffling, but then go out and sign more strikers.

Lucius Apuleius
11-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Every year we have this tit for tat on the messageboard about patience for signings and board doing all they can, need signings quick, spend some cash blah blah blah.

The truth of the matter on evidence of the past few years is that the vast majority of players we sign have been mediocre duds.

I know nothing about PF so I don't have FAITH that he will get it right, all I have is HOPE that a guy can step up to the plate and build a team good enough to stay in a league at a higher level than he has worked at before.

So, people can be as calm as they like about events or worry themselves in to a frenzy the fact is we just don't know what we are going to get.

Don't disagree Spike. Problem for me is absolutely every freaking thread turned into what I percieve as an anti Hibs thread (not saying from you, Alloa boys are much to intelligent for that :greengrin) It is just so freaking downhearting to continually read it. It does have an affect on people. It stopped me going to the ICT game. I know others it has affected as well. It doesn't matter how many times things are explained on here it is the same old rubbish from certain posters who are either, in my opinion, yams, or on a wind up. We all know things are not good. We all know things must improve. I personally feel there has been a huge combination of circumstances that have led us to where we are.

Every single player that signs for any other team, "we have missed out on". Absolute ballderdash. Biggest problem with this board (if it is indeed a problem, it could actually be the good thing) is the totally diverse opinions. Deek or not to Deek, Gaz or not. There is however no need for the constant suicidal tendency posts of some fowks. Thank Christ I don't sit and have a beer with them, thats all I can say. Then again, maybe I would cheer them up.:greengrin

By a combination of circumstances, murders, strikes etc, I have been delayed from going back to work for a week. Bonus for me is that lets me see another Hibs game. I still look upon getting to watch Hibs as a bonus. Freaking sicko so I am. However, I am still sitting here discussing with the missus whether I shall indeed go or not (I will) because the negativity on here when it is translated to the stands does ma freaking t1ts in.

Not directed at you as you know!!!

HibbyDave
11-01-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm not in the least surprised that we have not signed players (ex Doyle and extended LG's Contract). That would mean spending cash. I mentioned on another thread that we have a chairman who made great plays about the unworkable legacy etc etc and how we were out the cup and toiling in the league under yogi. The only difference ONE YEAR ON is that we managed to scrape through against Cowdenbeath.

If we lose on Sat will the chairman get the cheque book out? I DOUBT IT! We will clear a few more of the wage bill first then scratch around on the last day of the window for anyone willing to come to us because they couldn't get a deal elsewhere. That's now the Hibs way.

If the club really wanted to shock the players into action, they should simply invite 6-7 players to RP'S house and tear up their contracts in front of them. It would cost the same to do this as pay another manager comp when he is sacked because the existing players have managed to keep their comfort zone intact.
RP was quick enough to meet the players when JC went on hols. He needs to deal with the situation NOW!

Golden Bear
11-01-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm not in the least surprised that we have not signed players (ex Doyle and extended LG's Contract). That would mean spending cash. I mentioned on another thread that we have a chairman who made great plays about the unworkable legacy etc etc and how we were out the cup and toiling in the league under yogi. The only difference ONE YEAR ON is that we managed to scrape through against Cowdenbeath.

If we lose on Sat will the chairman get the cheque book out? I DOUBT IT! We will clear a few more of the wage bill first then scratch around on the last day of the window for anyone willing to come to us because they couldn't get a deal elsewhere. That's now the Hibs way.

If the club really wanted to shock the players into action, they should simply invite 6-7 players to RP'S house and tear up their contracts in front of them. It would cost the same to do this as pay another manager comp when he is sacked because the existing players have managed to keep their comfort zone intact.
RP was quick enough to meet the players when JC went on hols. He needs to deal with the situation NOW!

On the other hand, contracts are negotiable between the player and the Club and right now our predicament will make potential targets think again as they may not fancy the thought of relegation to the First Division.

On top of that, if the nightmare scenario did play out and we end up getting relegated, then the Club's finances will need to be re-aligned to take into consideration the huge difference in income. I would think that any offers made to potential signing targets will reflect the possibility that wages may/will require to be cut for season 2012/2013.

Pat Fenlon - good luck son as you're going to need it.

greenlex
11-01-2012, 07:15 PM

Just like we did one year ago.:rolleyes:

SloopJB
11-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Should this thread be closed with another one started as 11 days in?

Just sayin

nortonhibby
11-01-2012, 07:57 PM
I don't think the problem is a lack of activity so far, in fact that doesn't concern me at all. I am concerned about the apparent lack of cohesivness in the teams we put out recently, which to be fair can be explained by players returning to fitness and the new manager getting to know who can do what. However, Victor Palsson isn't the only one in my view who needs to be shown the door. Until those players who I feel are not worth their place at the club are moved on then I will be concerned, even if we had brought in more than Doyle I would still be concerned that the club rates players good enough when the fans clearly see that they are not. That's the real concern for me.

We have no choice now other than to hope that Paddy is the right choice granted not a good start but we are still in the Cup.

Based on the choices of Managers by this Board the odds are he will fail, however it cant be possible to be worse than CC.

If it goes wrong this weekend we have to stick with the plan this mess that RP Has made has taken many years to make and it simply cant be cured in a few weeks.

Even if we get beat this weekend it is far from over we are far to big a club to be Relegated Paddy will sort this out i have a good feeling about Paddy and the Board may have found a Diamond :pfgwa

Speedway
12-01-2012, 11:15 AM
We better get some more players in or we are ******

New players won't change that.

Day 12 in the big brother transfer window. The fans are hysterical. Paddy The Gaffer is in his office. Call comes in from Jimmy McTrialist's agent (him mum) He's got a better offer from Aldershot. Cross him off the list . Next Scott Lindsay phones to tell him that Gary Wilderness has decided to quit football rather than sign for Hibs.

With his 88th transfer target lost in under a fortnight, Paddy contemplates the purpose of existence. He reads .net and feels the love, warmth, support and backing he and his club are receiving from a longsuffering support. He feels comforted and overides the icy grip in his stomach. He dials the number on his pad.

Hi, Thomas? it's Pat Fenlon. That's right. Yes, good thanks. Listen, I thought the club let you go too early first time around especially after your performance at QoS. You were pure dead brilliant at Falkirk as well. Who are you playing for now..........

Lucius Apuleius
12-01-2012, 01:25 PM
We have no choice now other than to hope that Paddy is the right choice granted not a good start but we are still in the Cup.

Based on the choices of Managers by this Board the odds are he will fail, however it cant be possible to be worse than CC.

If it goes wrong this weekend we have to stick with the plan this mess that RP Has made has taken many years to make and it simply cant be cured in a few weeks.

Even if we get beat this weekend it is far from over we are far to big a club to be Relegated Paddy will sort this out i have a good feeling about Paddy and the Board may have found a Diamond :pfgwa

Actually, being a betting man I would say the odds are that he will be a good appoitment.

ScottB
12-01-2012, 01:33 PM
I find it puzzling that signings at the start of the window are seen as well planned out, yet signings later on / the end are universally derided as cheapy panic buys.

It's a bit of a nonsense really. We've got 2 in already, not seeing many other clubs matching / beating that so far this window. I'd rather we take the time required than panic buy at the start of the window to satisfy some fans!

BEEJ
12-01-2012, 01:42 PM
I find it puzzling that signings at the start of the window are seen as well planned out, yet signings later on / the end are universally derided as cheapy panic buys.

It's a bit of a nonsense really. We've got 2 in already, not seeing many other clubs matching / beating that so far this window. I'd rather we take the time required than panic buy at the start of the window to satisfy some fans!
Signings at the start of the window needn't be 'panic buys'. But the good ones usually require money to change hands.

If we were sitting mid-table and in the middle of a season's winter-break, we would not be hearing so many calls for the club to push deals over the line.

archiebald
12-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Why dont we sign Dougie Imrie from Hamilton he is a good player,or has Fenlon not heard of him ?

Andy74
12-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Why dont we sign Dougie Imrie from Hamilton he is a good player,or has Fenlon not heard of him ?

Those are the only alternative scenarios? We try and sign him, or Fenlon hasn't heard of him?

Perhaps we are looking for better?

Why the need to suggest that Fenlon hasn't heard of him? Are you buying the fact that a manager who has managed in Ireland isn't fully aware of the Scottish game?

Anyway, 12 days in and 3 signings now.

archiebald
12-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Those are the only alternative scenarios? We try and sign him, or Fenlon hasn't heard of him?

Perhaps we are looking for better?

Why the need to suggest that Fenlon hasn't heard of him? Are you buying the fact that a manager who has managed in Ireland isn't fully aware of the Scottish game?

Anyway, 12 days in and 3 signings now.
Better-we cant afford anything better ! The reason I say he hasnt heard of him because he has only been here a short time-and I dont trust the muppet scouting system we have - Imries contract is up in the summer so it would be small fee or nothing - premier league experiance

JimBHibees
12-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Better-we cant afford anything better ! The reason I say he hasnt heard of him because he has only been here a short time-and I dont trust the muppet scouting system we have - Imries contract is up in the summer so it would be small fee or nothing - premier league experiance

Watched Imrie at Livingston 6 - 8 weeks ago and he was far from impressive. Maybe just a quiet game right enough.

stokesmessiah
12-01-2012, 03:12 PM

Why because you just read the Arabs have put in a bid for him??

1) He is pretty mince.
2) How do you know that Fenlon has not heard of him?
3) How do you know that Fenlon is not holding out for better quality than that?

Andy74
12-01-2012, 03:37 PM

Right then.:confused:

jdships
12-01-2012, 03:46 PM

Is he the height of your ambition for this club ? :greengrin
He cost HAcds £25000 from ICT - near enough a free transfer,

Seems every time a player who someone has seen play once / read about in the Daily ****** should be a signing target for HFC :rolleyes:

Why can't you just give PF a fighting chancwe to put things together ? :confused:

archiebald
12-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Nah Francomb on loan is.

stokesmessiah
12-01-2012, 03:55 PM

Out of interest did the board release our transfer and wage bill details and i have missed it because an awful lot of people on here seem to know exactly how much we can and cannot afford??

stokesmessiah
12-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Nah Francomb on loan is.

Have you seen him play? Do you know anything about him?

From the little time i have had this afternoon in between working (kind of) he is very highly rated by Norwich fans and indeed Paul Lambert, but hey you probably know more about football and this player than a man that has guided his team to 2 promotions on the trot and indeed got a relatively cheap squad competing well against the premiership big boys!???

nortonhibby
12-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Actually, being a betting man I would say the odds are that he will be a good appoitment.

Nothing against Paddy its the board and there record of appointing dud managers thats the worry
:pfgwa

archiebald
12-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Ihave-and he is good player for a 20year old plus the money Norwich have put into youth leaves the spl standing never mind Hibs,the players coming through is incredible.And it looks like he may be getting pushed out.