PDA

View Full Version : Converting document to word

bingo70
09-01-2012, 10:19 AM
First of all apologies for sticking this in the wrong forum but i know this place gets more traffic than the technical forum so thought i'd stick it in here as i'm ideally looking for a response as soon as possible, feel free to move it if needs be though admins........

Looking for a wee bit help folks as i'm absolutely hopeless with things like this, I did my CV on the girlfriends mac and send it to my laptop as i was having problem with word, now when i try and open it i need to do so in wordpad but when i'm applying for some jobs it won't let me attach my CV as it needs to be in word, is there any way i can convert it or do i need to start it all over again?

Probably a stupid question but as ever any help much appreciated.

cheers

Darth Hibbie
09-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Bingo you could try using this

http://www.zamzar.com/ (http://www.zamzar.com/)

Not sure how it will work with any formatting but worth a shot.

bingo70
09-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Bingo you could try using this

http://www.zamzar.com/ (http://www.zamzar.com/)

Not sure how it will work with any formatting but worth a shot.

Cheers,

when i try that it doesn't work as it says my file has no extention? Not a dink what that means?

Speedy
09-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Probably a stupid suggestion as I suspect you'll get all sorts of formatting errors but have you tried opening it in word pad and selecting save as and changing 'Save as type' to "Text Document".

Alternatively, simply copy and paste it from Wordpad to Word (even less likely to work than previous suggestion but it won't take long to find out :greengrin)

Darth Hibbie
09-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Does your document open with word? It should if it was a wordpad document. You should then be able to "save as" a word document. I emphasise the word should :greengrin

Dinkydoo
09-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Does your document open with word? It should if it was a wordpad document. You should then be able to "save as" a word document. I emphasise the word should :greengrin

Agree with this.

Try right clicking on the document and selecting "Open With", and then click on Microsoft Word from the list of available programs - as DH has said you then should be able to simply "Save As" the document in Word.

Alternatively you could open the document in Wordpad, Save as, Save document as "Rich Text Document". You can then open up Microsoft Word, click Open Document, select the Rich Text Document, Open. Once opened in Word you should then be able to Save As.

Maybe best to make a copy of the original file before saving as different file formats; just in the formatting is changed dramatically in the process!

Hibee87
09-01-2012, 03:18 PM
as already said if you open in notepad and save as a word doc should get all your data transferred over however the lay out will be all to cock and you will have to manually edit it to look good.
As far as I know there is no converter for Mac to word (none that microsoft have developt any way) and I would be wary of downloading any other tools. Also sending a CV from your birds MAC to company may not be able to open on their side unless they also have a mac.

Re do best option bud, and I would find a place online to store it (i.e s1 jobs) so you can edit it online and send from anywhere whether your on a mac or pc shouldnt matter if its already on s1. hope this helps :thumbsup:

bingo70
09-01-2012, 03:39 PM
as already said if you open in notepad and save as a word doc should get all your data transferred over however the lay out will be all to cock and you will have to manually edit it to look good.
As far as I know there is no converter for Mac to word (none that microsoft have developt any way) and I would be wary of downloading any other tools. Also sending a CV from your birds MAC to company may not be able to open on their side unless they also have a mac.

Re do best option bud, and I would find a place online to store it (i.e s1 jobs) so you can edit it online and send from anywhere whether your on a mac or pc shouldnt matter if its already on s1. hope this helps :thumbsup:

Cheers for all the help on this thread.

got there in the end, lot of bloody hassle considering they'll probably no even respond to the application