PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Dean Shiels

bingo70
09-01-2012, 08:21 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/16466715.stm

Notice in todays gossip column it's saying we are trying to get Shiels back on loan until the end of the season.

Wasn't a massive fan of his last time he was here but there's no doubt he's better than what we've currently got by some distance so would welcome this signing.

Only concern would be his work ethic, was never his strong point and a lot of games would pass him by and right now we need everyone to dig deep and give everything they've got, that said we also need good footballers and he's definately one of them.

SteveHFC
09-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Yes please

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2012, 08:26 AM
Very strange, i had a weird dream last night about all sorts of things. America, well california especally and then London, but as daft as it was there was a bit about Dean sheils coming back to us.

I hope its true, he does seem to be a more consistant player these days, and can still open up a defence with his skill and ability.

6 months deal, if we can afford it yes please.

Dibben
09-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Very strange, i had a weird dream last night about all sorts of things. America, well california especally and then London, but as daft as it was there was a bit about Dean sheils coming back to us.

I hope its true, he does seem to be a more consistant player these days, and can still open up a defence with his skill and ability.

:agree:

Would take him back instantly!!

stokesmessiah
09-01-2012, 08:31 AM

I had a dream about us signing Paddy McCourt on loan til the end of the season. I wish!

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2012, 08:34 AM
I had a dream about us signing Paddy McCourt on loan til the end of the season. I wish!

I also had a dream about Jennifer Aniston, I wish too. :wink:

Wilson
09-01-2012, 08:39 AM
I wasn't his biggest fan last time and I am still not. I would expect we'd get the same effect as we had with Sproule - wasn't a world beater first time around and hasn't improved greatly since.

It astounds me the amount of ex-players we are linked with (and actually re-sign). Football is a global sport - a world full of potential targets - but where hibs are concerned it really is a small world. Does our scouting system just involve reading through the last couple of years official club calenders?

Lets cast the net a bit wider than the numbers already in Petrie's file-o-fax.

bingo70
09-01-2012, 08:46 AM
I wasn't his biggest fan last time and I am still not. I would expect we'd get the same effect as we had with Sproule - wasn't a world beater first time around and hasn't improved greatly since.

It astounds me the amount of ex-players we are linked with (and actually re-sign). Football is a global sport - a world full of potential targets - but where hibs are concerned it really is a small world. Does our scouting system just involve reading through the last couple of years official club calenders?

Sort of agree with you, what happened to us uncovering new talent? Notice Motherwell have just signed some Estonian boy and they also got that Jamaican international, we seem to sign most of our players that are disregarded from English teams and thats a notoriously poor value market.

That said though, Shiels is better than what we've got so as a short term deal until the end of the season he'd improve us, i'd hope come the summer we're casting our net further afield though.

Craig_in_Prague

What, signing for Hibs?..... or did you bang her - with her wearing a Hibs top :greengrin

Thecat23

:top marksSpot on mate. Look at the amount of players in Europe and we seem to be going over old ground again. Nothing against the lad but come on Hibe eh? give the ex players thing a rest.

madabouthibs
09-01-2012, 08:53 AM
I'd rather have him than Galbraith or Sproule right now.

brydekirk
09-01-2012, 08:54 AM
:top marksSpot on mate. Look at the amount of players in Europe and we seem to be going over old ground again. Nothing against the lad but come on Hibe eh? give the ex players thing a rest.

Agree: unless its David Murphy.

The Sea-gull
09-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Not a fan of resigning players who were bit parts the first time around - see Sproule - and expecting them to be good week in week out in their second spell.

However, DS seems to have been superb for Killie this season (maybe van Nishtelroy will come on and confirm this) and has produced what we know he is capable of on a week in week out basis - something he never did at Hibs.

Could it be that he is now a better player than the on who left us?

Even the inconsistent DS who left us would be welcome in this team for his effort alone so on that basis what harm would a six month loan do, especially if he is better now.

Apparently he wanted to come back to ER last summer but CC knocked the chance back.

He would not be the answer on his own but along with another one or even two midfield players, it may be enough in that area.

jdships
09-01-2012, 09:05 AM
What's with this obsession of signing ex players a few years after they have left.?
How many , including rearend,who we have resigned have really lived up to expectations ? Not many :rolleyes:
Let's think positive and get two ( or more depending on cost) experienced " fresh faces" to heklp develop the youngsters

:flag:

Andy74
09-01-2012, 09:13 AM
After watching Sproule and particularly Galbraith again at the weekend I'd take him no problem. The one upside with ex-players is that they know the club and can get right into it which is what we'd need for the next six months.

I could see him being on the same wavelength as the likes of Osbourne and Doyle and we do need to start creating chances for people. We also need someone who can take a dead ball as Gabraith and Wotherspoon have been dire on that front.

PatHead
09-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Much as I liked Deano when he was here last time round I always felt he wasn't consistent enough. Like Sproule he was a squad/impact player rather than first choice. We have too many of these just now and I would rather a couple of fresh faces. If we haven't got anyone towards the end of the window perhaps worth a punt until the end of the season but would he be better than taking a punt on Riordan?

Andy74
09-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Much as I liked Deano when he was here last time round I always felt he wasn't consistent enough. Like Sproule he was a squad/impact player rather than first choice. We have too many of these just now and I would rather a couple of fresh faces. If we haven't got anyone towards the end of the window perhaps worth a punt until the end of the season but would he be better than taking a punt on Riordan?

He's probably been on of Killie's best and most creative players this season in the SPL, whereas Riordan has done nothing of note in China and was then released.

He is already match fit with plenty recent SPL experience.

If we are looking for somone to help us over the next six months Riordan wouldn't come ahead of Shiels for me.

calumhibee1
09-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Would take Deano back in a heartbeat. He was a very good player who was inconsistent last time round and if it hadnt of been for all the other good players we had he would have been in the team every week. He's now got 4 or 5 more years experience and played in the championship, so if he has managed to add a bit consistency he would be streets ahead of the rest of this pish.

Iain G
09-01-2012, 09:36 AM

The Northern Irish Tam McManus... :agree:

Cropley10
09-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Best player on the park when we played Killie at ER earlier this Season.

For me he was also probably the best technical player at the Club towards the end of his time with us, great touch and plays with his head up.

I think he'd be an immediate asset to us, as the overall quality of our team has dramatically reduced since he was last here.

Can't see it happening somehow.

TornadoHibby
09-01-2012, 09:50 AM

To be fair to Deano, he did boss the midfield in his most recent visit to ER! :agree:

bighairyfaeleith
09-01-2012, 10:25 AM
To be fair to Deano, he did boss the midfield in his most recent visit to ER! :agree:

a 5 year old could boss our midfield right now though.

I'd take him short term to boost the squad but would want another good battling midfielder brought in as well.

El Gubbz
09-01-2012, 10:28 AM
I have a dream about her every night!

Betty Boop
09-01-2012, 10:32 AM

Me too ! :greengrin

Beefster
09-01-2012, 10:34 AM

Agree entirely. All of the players that we sign nowadays tend to have some connection either to the club or the manager of the day. It all suggests that our scouting operation is piss poor or non-existent. I think it's a big part of the reason why we're where we are.

I wasn't a huge fan of Shiels either but beggars can't be choosers.

ScottB
09-01-2012, 10:36 AM
I think we've had more than enough of this 'getting the band back together' thing over the last few years.

truehibernian
09-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Ticks all the boxes for what the side need at present - still young, lots of energy, great technique, is fully fit having played most games in the SPL, knows the club and will want Hibs to push up the table such is his feeling for the club. Add in the fact that if you ask most football fans who have seen Killie this season, he is a major influence, along with Harkins, in a very creative Killie side.

So in short, fit, keen, in good form, fans show Dean lots of respect too, and he loves Hibs - it's a no brainer for me, has to be yes if we are indeed in for him.

Sergeant Hibs
09-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Would be a brilliant signing
:pfgwa

Bob Box Fish
09-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Wasn't a regular last time around.

Time to start looking forward.

Judas Iscariot
09-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Best player on the park when we played Killie at ER earlier this Season.

For me he was also probably the best technical player at the Club towards the end of his time with us, great touch and plays with his head up.

I think he'd be an immediate asset to us, as the overall quality of our team has dramatically reduced since he was last here.

Can't see it happening somehow.

This

We don't have anyone with anywhere near the techinical ability and creativity that Dean has...

Wasn't a regular last time around.

Time to start looking forward.

And?

Have you seen the utter dross in this current Hibs side..

DS would walk into this team no problem

bawheid
09-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Agree entirely. All of the players that we sign nowadays tend to have some connection either to the club or the manager of the day. It all suggests that our scouting operation is piss poor or non-existent. I think it's a big part of the reason why we're where we are.

I wasn't a huge fan of Shiels either but beggars can't be choosers.

Completely agree. Since John Park left the scouting set-up appears (from the outside) to be completely non-existant. I'd like to see Fenlon concentrate on keeping us up, with a full review of behind the scenes stuff like that in the summer.

Would take Shiels until the end of the season if no better option can be scouted.

Sergeant Hibs
09-01-2012, 11:04 AM
I know St J are above us in the league but surely Deano'd rather cone to us than them given his history

PF get him in

number9dream
09-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Kenny Shiels is saying Doncaster want Deano back since they see him as a player they can sell before his contract expires in the summer, so are we going to buy him?
I don't see where the short-term deal comes in unless Hibs / St J are offering to pay more for his services on loan than Killie are and Rovers have given up on the idea of getting a transfer fee.

I agree with those saying he would walk into the team right now but it looks like newspaper hot air to me...

scoopyboy
09-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Completely agree. Since John Park left the scouting set-up appears (from the outside) to be completely non-existant. I'd like to see Fenlon concentrate on keeping us up, with a full review of behind the scenes stuff like that in the summer.

Would take Shiels until the end of the season if no better option can be scouted.

I thought John Park only worked with the 19s.

I know he now does that job for Celtic but not sure he was ever that for Hibs.

bawheid
09-01-2012, 11:57 AM
I thought John Park only worked with the 19s.

I know he now does that job for Celtic but not sure he was ever that for Hibs.

You would know better than me Scoops but it was my understanding that Park scouted guys like Sproule, Benji, Zemmama and Boozy. If not, who did? Whoever it was, we should get them back.

Shrekko
09-01-2012, 11:59 AM
I think we've had more than enough of this 'getting the band back together' thing over the last few years.

Unbelievable that folk are pouring scorn on this simply because he played for us before.

Firstly he is a better player than the one that left.

Secondly he was more than good enough the first time.

Deano is a class act and exactly what the team needs in terms of the type of player he is as well as his personality and attitude. I'd be delighted if he came back.

JimBHibees
09-01-2012, 12:05 PM
You would know better than me Scoops but it was my understanding that Park scouted guys like Sproule, Benji, Zemmama and Boozy. If not, who did? Whoever it was, we should get them back.

I assumed like yourself Park was involved in some form of scouting / networking of players such as those on your list. Celtc also seem to have improved in this respect recently with guys like Izaguire, Kayal, Chi etc appearing to be better than they normally have signed.

If not Park maybe it was a contact that Mowbray had that didnt work for the club but could be used to source players.

scoopyboy
09-01-2012, 12:06 PM

Not sure on it to be honest.

Irrespective you are right in saying our scouting is poor.

It wouldn't surprise me if Hibs just go on the manager's knowledge of players from previous club / league or sift through agent's recommendations of which I'm sure they get hundreds.

smurf
09-01-2012, 12:34 PM
John Park definitely discovered Ivan...

silverhibee
09-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Deano wont be coming to Hibs.

allezsauzee
09-01-2012, 12:44 PM
I would love to see Deano back. I was disappointed when he was allowed to leave first time round. Given we are bereft of creativity in the team, he'd be a great signing.

Broken Gnome
09-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Shiels is entirely different to the likes of Sproule returning. He's a better player than when he left, Ivan isn't. Definitely take him back considering the current alternatives.

heretoday
09-01-2012, 01:01 PM
It would be excellent to get him back. He was a guy that gave his all. Actually, I was half hoping that his dad would get the Hibs job.

patlowe
09-01-2012, 01:08 PM
I feel his contributions first-time round are often overstated on here but given the vastly inferior side we have now he'd be an undoubted improvement to the squad. We are crying out for players with ability and a creative instinct in midfield.

Septimus
09-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Is he cup tied?

bingo70
09-01-2012, 01:16 PM
It would be excellent to get him back. He was a guy that gave his all. Actually, I was half hoping that his dad would get the Hibs job.

Funny how people see things differently, i thought he was a player that was good when he was in the mood but a lot of games passed him by and he didn't always seem interested and appeared to be lazy in a lot of games.

I feel his contributions first-time round are often overstated on here but given the vastly inferior side we have now he'd be an undoubted improvement to the squad. We are crying out for players with ability and a creative instinct in midfield.

exactly my thoughts.

down the slope
09-01-2012, 01:17 PM
No thank's , he had some nice touches but he ran about as much as Deeks did ! , i used to watch him in games and if he lost the ball in attack he would just stroll back .

silverhibee
09-01-2012, 01:49 PM
As i have said he wont be coming to Hibs, back to Doncaster im hearing.

Leithenhibby
09-01-2012, 02:00 PM

That's got to be a good thing me thinks.

I'm sure PF will have his own ideas as to who he wants. I don't want any more ex players back to be honest.

Time for a fresh start :wink:

greenlex
09-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Dean has improved as a player since he wore the green. He would walk into our current midfield and rather than a loan deal we should try and get him longer term. Come on home son. You know it makes sense.

brog
09-01-2012, 02:59 PM

Correct & if he didn't have to go back then why on earth would he walk out on the club where his Dad's the manager?

Cropley10
09-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Is he cup tied?

Don't think so

Captain Trips
09-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Dean has improved as a player since he wore the green. He would walk into our current midfield and rather than a loan deal we should try and get him longer term. Come on home son. You know it makes sense.

Wow we agree on something....well almost :greengrin. Time to be looking at players to come here for the long term, is Dean good enough? I think he is, No way though would I be interested in a loan though.

greenlex
09-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Wow we agree on something....well almost :greengrin. Time to be looking at players to come here for the long term, is Dean good enough? I think he is, No way though would I be interested in a loan though.
**** me!!!!! :greengrin

JimBHibees
09-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Don't think so

Course he is he played in Saturday's Dundee game.

Hibee87
09-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Don't think so

Yes he is played against Dundee the other day.

Any way no danger would he come to us unless we are paying doncaster for his services. Donny have said they want him back so if they have had a change of heart and are now allowing him to go out on loan the only place that woudl be will be killie.

JimBHibees
09-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Correct & if he didn't have to go back then why on earth would he walk out on the club where his Dad's the manager?

Very good point. A plus for Hibs would be that if he is going back to Donny he wont be able to play against Hibs in the next round of the cup if Killie win their replay.

PatHead
09-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Doncaster have a new manager since he was there and have made some decent signings. Might be the manager wants him back to have a close look at him and decide if he is worth a new contract. If he doesn't fancy him it is likely he will be freed on last day of transfer window as they won't want to pay his wages for the remainder of the season. Doubt they will be fussy about a fee.

HibsNutter
09-01-2012, 04:08 PM
People need to stop slavering about how we was a fringe player in his first spell, he was being kept out of the side by the likes of Brown, Thomson beuzellin etc, we don't have anywhere near that quality in our team anymore..and when they started to leave he became our star man. He also seems to have improved and unlike Ivan, Garry and Deek when they rejoined, Deano seems to be in good form this season so would be a good signing IMO.

DanHFC1875
09-01-2012, 04:18 PM
I really do think deano would be a good signing until the end of the season, he is having a good season... he would definately be an improvement on what we have. without doubt.

Musselbound
09-01-2012, 04:30 PM

If the criteria is that he needs to be consistent then you can forget that. However, although I'm never turning cartwheels about the signing of prodigals, I do feel that we are crying out for creativity and that Shiels could do a job for us. I would take him as a good option right away in comparison to what we have at the moment in terms of creativity, which is close to a big fat zero.

millarco
09-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Shiels has looked like the player I remember from his first spell. Very comfortable on the ball, rarely giving the ball away, nice skills and movement but a poor end product the majority of times. Sadly the quality of our team has fallen to a level where we have virtually no players showing the first few qualities, so he'd be an improvement on what we have. The team has no creativity, haven't replaced Zemamma and to a lesser extent Miller.

Our player recruitment is shocking though and the real reason we're in such a state just now IMO. Haven't signed a hidden gem of a player since Mowbray's days (I'd maybe argue Maka but don't want to get into that again!). The player turnover since has been ridiculous, so much money wasted on average players. Don't think the size of our budget is necessarily the problem, just the way we're using it.

Tyler Durden
09-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Sort of agree with you, what happened to us uncovering new talent? Notice Motherwell have just signed some Estonian boy and they also got that Jamaican international, we seem to sign most of our players that are disregarded from English teams and thats a notoriously poor value market.That said though, Shiels is better than what we've got so as a short term deal until the end of the season he'd improve us, i'd hope come the summer we're casting our net further afield though.

The Jamaican international Omar Daley. The one Motherwell signed after he was "disregarded" from that international backwater............ Bradford City. One of their other star performers this year is Nicky Law - also signed from Bradford I think, so maybe it's not such a poor value market. Wasn't so bad when we signed Jones or Killen - maybe Hibs have just signed the wrong players in recent years.

With regard to Deano, the guy would walk into our team and virtually any team in the SPL. I've never understood Hibs fans who claimed that the likes of him and Boozy only had 1 good game in 5 etc. They had class and ability but half our fans would rather get rid of them for someone who worked harder. Shiels made a massive contribution under Mowbray and was only a bit part player as we could call on the likes of Brown, Thomson, Boozy and Stewart (another who I'd take back in a flash).

He scored about 10 goals by Xmas under Mixu and still that wasn't good enough for many. Would be a great signing but I can't see it happening, hope I'm wrong.

Scouse Hibee
09-01-2012, 07:07 PM
The Jamaican international Omar Daley. The one Motherwell signed after he was "disregarded" from that international backwater............ Bradford City. One of their other star performers this year is Nicky Law - also signed from Bradford I think, so maybe it's not such a poor value market. Wasn't so bad when we signed Jones or Killen - maybe Hibs have just signed the wrong players in recent years.

With regard to Deano, the guy would walk into our team and virtually any team in the SPL. I've never understood Hibs fans who claimed that the likes of him and Boozy only had 1 good game in 5 etc. They had class and ability but half our fans would rather get rid of them for someone who worked harder. Shiels made a massive contribution under Mowbray and was only a bit part player as we could call on the likes of Brown, Thomson, Boozy and Stewart (another who I'd take back in a flash).

He scored about 10 goals by Xmas under Mixu and still that wasn't good enough for many. Would be a great signing but I can't see it happening, hope I'm wrong.

Because it was the truth, their ability and class was never in question just their ability to be consistent which was sadly lacking. Still think Shiels would improve our squad though so would take him back in a flash.

The_Todd
09-01-2012, 07:21 PM
I would like to see Deano signed if he became available, but I'm wary of signing ex-players as we quite often seem to do as it seems the board would like to see it happen to pacify the fans rather than because the manager chose to sign the player.

I'm not saying that's been the case before, but with Murray, Deek, Garry and Ivan it's just seemed that the board made the effort to get the players as there was clamour from the fans for those players. Would those players have been the managers first choice to use the budget on? I've never really been sure.

If Pat decides he wants Deano, that's good enough for me.

Billy Whizz
09-01-2012, 07:25 PM
He's cup tied now

Houchy
09-01-2012, 08:20 PM

:agree: ER is fast becoming a retirement home for ex Hibs players to amble about and be put out to pasture for their last 12 months:agree:

Why is it that we can't go over to Spain/Portugal/France/Italy/Germany or farther afield like Brazil/Argentina and pick up some wee 12 year old samba kid playing keepie uppie with an old Pepsi can before volleying it into the bin from 30 yards.

Cropley10
09-01-2012, 08:23 PM
:agree: ER is fast becoming a retirement home for ex Hibs players to amble about and be put out to pasture for their last 12 months:agree:

Why is it that we can't go over to Spain/Portugal/France/Italy/Germany or farther afield like Brazil/Argentina and pick up some wee 12 year old samba kid playing keepie uppie with an old Pepsi can before volleying it into the bin from 30 yards.

Cos these players want to play for Man U/City/Arsenal. :greengrin:

I think Deano might offer a little more than Sproule can, might be wrong on that though.

SteveHFC
09-01-2012, 08:28 PM

We should be looking at countries like Sweden. Slovenia, Belarus, Romania and Russia for players

Tyler Durden
09-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Because it was the truth, their ability and class was never in question just their ability to be consistent which was sadly lacking. Still think Shiels would improve our squad though so would take him back in a flash.

Personally think it was bollocks. What was the good performance ratio of the players we replaced them with? Or more importantly what's a reasonable expectation of a good Hibs player? Shiels moved on to better things (cash and league wise) so he wasn't doing too badly for us.

The quality of the likes of Deano and Boozy wasn't appreciated by too many until we signed the likes of Morais, O'Brien, Kerr, Keenan, Rankin etc to replace them.

keep the faith
09-01-2012, 09:22 PM
We have midfielders happy to clog and pass it two yards. We have absolutely no creativity. Dean Shiels plays in that creative role just behind the strikers and is performing exceptionally well in the SPL. Of course we should be trying to get him.

Why are we freaking out about signing ex players? If an ex player is the best option for a position in our team then go get them as far as Im concerned. If it means they care a bit more because they have been here before or their fond feelings mean they would choose us over others clubs then surely thats the benefit.

It seems that Ivan and Garry have turned the tide on re-signing former players. Guess what. Ivan was always hot and cold. Garry was always spouting off about leaving. They havent changed cause they are back - but our attitudes to them have.

Shiels was a creative player who has actually improved. Why are we against signing one of the best midfielders performing in our league????

Strange times

The_Todd
09-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Why are we freaking out about signing ex players? If an ex player is the best option for a position in our team then go get them as far as Im concerned. If it means they care a bit more because they have been here before or their fond feelings mean they would choose us over others clubs then surely thats the benefit.

I think the problem, well from my POV anyway, is signing ex-players because the board would rather pacify us than go for the targets the manager actually wants. I just have a gut feeling that some of our other returning players have been identified as signing targets by the board rather than the manager.

heretoday
09-01-2012, 09:33 PM
The more I think about it the more I like the idea of Deano returning.

In fact I insist on it!

keep the faith
09-01-2012, 09:40 PM
I think the problem, well from my POV anyway, is signing ex-players because the board would rather pacify us than go for the targets the manager actually wants. I just have a guy feeling that some of our other returning players have been identified as signing targets by the board rather than the manager.

I know what your saying mate, but I honestly think it down to having an exceptional group of players all coming through together and leaving in a short period. Some have gone on to better things and some are becoming availiable again. It would seem remiss of us not to explore getting the right players back if possible. I happen to think Shiels (along with Stewart, but I know Im on my own there :-) ) would make a difference right now.

Resigning should not be a long term stretegy and I do agree with you. However I think its just a pretty unique situation we have with these ex players right now.

The_Todd
09-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Just to clarify I personally would love to have Deano back, but I'd like it to be PF's decision and not Rods.

keep the faith
09-01-2012, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=The_Todd;3068794]Just to clarify I personally would love to have Deano back, but I'd like it to be PF's decision and not Rods.[/QUOTE

:agree:

TowerHibs
09-01-2012, 09:55 PM
No player plays brilliant every week up here - that's why they play in Scotland

Shiels on his day is the kind of player we need, can open a tin of peas with his passing. Good finisher and intellegent! Yes he'll be frustrating, but if played well in every single minute he wouldn't be in the SPL

If not shiels, a player of that mould. Not many available, maybe Danny Swanson, McCort on loan. We'd need to spend but think we are in dire need of a creative player

heretoday
09-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Do you remember that goal Orman scored at Ibrox?

Dunno why but it just came to mind. Shiels might have been playing.

Sir David Gray
09-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Do you remember that goal Orman scored at Ibrox?

Dunno why but it just came to mind. Shiels might have been playing.

That goal came in 2001. Shiels didn't sign until 2004.

basehibby
10-01-2012, 12:37 AM
No player plays brilliant every week up here - that's why they play in Scotland

Shiels on his day is the kind of player we need, can open a tin of peas with his passing. Good finisher and intellegent! Yes he'll be frustrating, but if played well in every single minute he wouldn't be in the SPL

If not shiels, a player of that mould. Not many available, maybe Danny Swanson, McCort on loan. We'd need to spend but think we are in dire need of a creative player

:agree: Sheils would fill a big creative void in the midfield - glad we're quoted as being interested as at least it confirms that Fenlon is seeing what we all can see.

Sheils would certainly fit the bill and the only reason I'd like to see him not signing is if Fenlon can find someone even better - and if he could do that I'd be absolutely delighted.

Franck is God
10-01-2012, 11:49 AM
I always liked Deano as a player at ER and he is one of the few players I'd be happy to see back.

None of the current coaching staff worked with Shiels so if he has been identified as a potential signing for the second half of the season then it is purely because of his performances for Killie which is the only criteria that matters.

I was under the impression that Doncaster wanted him back for their second half of the season anyway. Even if they don't as Saunders is a new manager to them he may rather that he was sold than go back out on loan which frees up his own budget for new signings.

frazeHFC
10-01-2012, 08:26 PM
"Dean Shiels set to stay at #Kilmarnock (http://www.hibs.net/#!/search?q=%23Kilmarnock) for the remainder of the season."

vanNISHtelroy
10-01-2012, 08:33 PM
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/294845

YES!

Unlikely to happen but....would love midfield/strikeforce of:

Heffernan
Riordan Shiels Dayton
Kelly Fowler

:hyper:

Wotherspiniesta
10-01-2012, 08:35 PM
I would have Deano back in a heartbeat.

Exactly the type of player we're missing IMO. A midfielder to link to link the play at the right end of the park. Plays with passion aswell.

if we could have a front 6 of:

.........Osbourne....LS/DW.............

New winger......Shiels.........Griffiths

.....................Doyle...................

We'd create a helluva lot more chances. :aok:

Just need to sort that damned defence out now! :agree:

frazeHFC
10-01-2012, 08:42 PM
I would have Deano back in a heartbeat.

Exactly the type of player we're missing IMO. A midfielder to link to link the play at the right end of the park. Plays with passion aswell.

if we could have a front 6 of:

.........Osbourne....LS/DW.............

New winger......Shiels.........Griffiths

.....................Doyle...................

We'd create a helluva lot more chances. :aok:

Just need to sort that damned defence out now! :agree:

Not gona happen though, he is staying at Killie. :(

frazeHFC
10-01-2012, 09:04 PM
"Kilmarnock close to signing Dean Shiels until end of season. Doncaster to release player ie not a loan deal. Expect confirmation tomorrow."

Cropley10
10-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Just to clarify I personally would love to have Deano back, but I'd like it to be PF's decision and not Rods.

Killie get Deano, we got Ivan...

Wotherspiniesta
10-01-2012, 10:17 PM
"Kilmarnock close to signing Dean Shiels until end of season. Doncaster to release player ie not a loan deal. Expect confirmation tomorrow."

We should try snapping him up on a pre-contract then :greengrin

scott7_0(Prague)
11-01-2012, 07:42 AM
We should try snapping him up on a pre-contract then :greengrin

I think i am the only Hibby who didn't know Kenny Shiels is Deans father..... doh. :flag: