PDA

View Full Version : 97-98 team that went down

northgreen24
08-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Just looking over the team that went down by 4 points (hibs got 30 from 36 games). I know there was possiby more money back then but if there was any doubt that we are too good to go down then this was my reality check. I doubt that many if any of the current team would get in to that team apart from Garry.

I really hope we get something from the game next week as if the team below couldnt get out off trouble then the 11-12 have no chance IMH

The number is the Apps

GK Olafur Gottskalksson 17
DF Jean-Marc Adjovi-Bocco 32
DF Darren Dods 32
DF John Hughes 27
DF Willie Miller 34
MF Chic Charnley 23
MF Andy Dow 35
MF Kevin Harper 29
MF Pat McGinlay 36
FW Stephen Crawford 38
MF Tony Rougier 31

Others

GK Bryan Gunn 12
FW Barry Lavety 29
DF Brian Welsh 17
MF Chris Jackson 16
MF Grant Brebner 9
FW Andy Walker 9

AlbertK86
08-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Andy walker relegated and on the bench.....

In his eyes he's a superstar as well !!

Him and Craig Burley .... Brutal pundits who make out they were good players ! Fann!es the pair of them

northgreen24
08-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Totally agree re Andy walker and being an arse but having him and barry lavety as bit part players does seem a much highter quality than when I look down at the bench now

Scouse Hibee
08-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Just checked 32 different players used that season!

AlbertK86
08-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Totally agree re Andy walker and being an arse but having him and barry lavety as bit part players does seem a much highter quality than when I look down at the bench now

Yep yer spot on

Pete
08-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Just looking over the team that went down by 4 points (hibs got 30 from 36 games). I know there was possiby more money back then but if there was any doubt that we are too good to go down then this was my reality check. I doubt that many if any of the current team would get in to that team apart from Garry.

I really hope we get something from the game next week as if the team below couldnt get out off trouble then the 11-12 have no chance IMH

The number is the Apps

DF Darren Dods 32
DF John Hughes 27
DF Willie Miller 34
MF Chic Charnley 23
MF Andy Dow 35
MF Kevin Harper 29
MF Pat McGinlay 36
FW Stephen Crawford 38
MF Tony Rougier 31

Others

GK Bryan Gunn 12
FW Barry Lavety 29
DF Brian Welsh 17
MF Chris Jackson 16
MF Grant Brebner 9
FW Andy Walker 9

Not sure if the sands of time are obscuring your views but I remember a good 50% of these players being absolute garbage.

If we were making a team it would be around 50/50.

One thing both teams have in common is a spell of mis-management which has blasted confidence and made them into something less than the sum of their parts.

Mibbes Aye
08-01-2012, 11:09 PM
I watched that team week in, week out, and it was far worse than what I've seen of us recently.

Out of interest, did you attend that season?

northgreen24
08-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Not sure if the sands of time are obscuring your views but I remember a good 50% of these players being absolute garbage.

If we were making a team it would be around 50/50.

One thing both teams have in common is a spell of mis-management which has blasted confidence and made them into something less than the sum of their parts.

you might be right there as I also remember going to hibs st johnstone and barry lavety turning up late in a car and not on the team bus. I am under no green tinted glasses but due to the sheer amount of change at hibs i struggle to know who some of the payers are now outside the first 11. back then while performance and in the end relegation happened going by even your modest 50/50 shows what a bad state we are in

but that team didnt beat the drop and hopfully this will and finally start to move forward and upward

GGTTH:flag::flag:

Sammy7nil
08-01-2012, 11:15 PM
I watched that team week in, week out, and it was far worse than what I've seen of us recently.

I watched them they were far better than this bunch we are dire and have been for months and months.

Top of the league after about 8 games then collapased.

Lavety Charnley Rougier Harper all capable of creating something we have no creativity in this team.

It may have been a fluke but can you imagine this bunch turning a 2 - 0 deficit at Tynie ?

northgreen24
08-01-2012, 11:16 PM

I sure did and have done regulary since the 95-96 season why??. i know under alex miller duffy etc there was some rubbish played but does not the fact that we are breaking records for the worst run /home wins in a season say something about how bad it currently is

northgreen24
08-01-2012, 11:20 PM
I watched them they were far better than this bunch we are dire and have been for months and months.

Top of the league after about 8 games then collapased.

Lavety Charnley Rougier Harper all capable of creating something we have no creativity in this team.

It may have been a fluke but can you imagine this bunch turning a 2 - 0 deficit at Tynie ?

totally agree and that was my point even when everthing was against us was at the 2nd last game against dundee united and there was still a hope and we took the lead if i remember but this rubbish cant get a goal in the league and keep them out the other end.

steakbake
08-01-2012, 11:33 PM
We are categorically dreadful, running on an average of 0.7 points per game. Hamilton were relegated on the form of 0.68 points per game.

We'll be doing well to catch up and haul out of the danger zone. April/May will be tense!

RickyS
09-01-2012, 01:43 AM
I sure did and have done regulary since the 95-96 season why??. i know under alex miller duffy etc there was some rubbish played but does not the fact that we are breaking records for the worst run /home wins in a season say something about how bad it currently is

i was discussing this with my uncle recently. maybe my memory is playing tricks on me but i think the relegated team would hammer the current team. that team had creativity and goals. we are so dire just now that i think they could well be the worst Hibs team I have watched. just my opinion of course

dirtydirk
09-01-2012, 07:19 AM
The Relegation team was alot worse than the present. "top of the league after 8 games" - try 3 games! Our best player for most of the season was lavety - that's how bad it was. Rouier played the first game of the season and other than a goal against motherwell he done nothing - probably the laziest player I've ever seen. The only decent players were Harper and brebner who both never came in to the team till later on.

Beefster
09-01-2012, 07:25 AM
We are categorically dreadful, running on an average of 0.7 points per game. Hamilton were relegated on the form of 0.68 points per game.

We'll be doing well to catch up and haul out of the danger zone. April/May will be tense!

The 97/98 team were relegated on 0.83 points per game. Better than this season.

Septimus
09-01-2012, 07:33 AM
There was certainly much more individual talent in that team than there appears to be at present.

Hiber-nation
09-01-2012, 07:41 AM
There was certainly much more individual talent in that team than there appears to be at present.

No doubt about it. But we had a keeper basically chucking them in for half the season. And a fair bit of "attitude" problems, even worse than the some of the current lot.

Steve20
09-01-2012, 08:47 AM

I watched that team every week and they would beat this lot of impostors we have just now.

Makaveli
09-01-2012, 09:23 AM
With the points we're on, if it was still a 10 team league (without Dunfermline, ICT) we'd stranded at the bottom, 9 points off safety. That team at least had some fight and creativity. Relative to the teams around us we're worse now, but I'm still confident we'll look a different side by the end of the window

Geo_1875
09-01-2012, 10:05 AM
With the points we're on, if it was still a 10 team league (without Dunfermline, ICT) we'd stranded at the bottom, 9 points off safety. That team at least had some fight and creativity. Relative to the teams around us we're worse now, but I'm still confident we'll look a different side by the end of the window

That team had "fight and creativity" and a couldn't care less attitude.

Matty_Jack04
09-01-2012, 10:08 AM
The Relegation team was alot worse than the present. "top of the league after 8 games" - try 3 games! Our best player for most of the season was lavety - that's how bad it was. Rouier played the first game of the season and other than a goal against motherwell he done nothing - probably the laziest player I've ever seen. The only decent players were Harper and brebner who both never came in to the team till later on.

I was of the thinking we where top around Xmas time then we got pumped by the huns 4-3 after being up 3-0 at half time and the @rse fell out the season.
I also mind a derby at ER where rougier was on fire think it was Allan McManus he was up against and had him on toast but he very rarely was given the ball that day will always mind my old man screaming give it to tony! Most heated id saw him at the footy at the time,

I'm undecided which team was worse but lee power was one of the worst strikers iv ever seen and he's not even made the squad list neithers Paul tosh also crud

Jamesie
09-01-2012, 12:10 PM
I was of the thinking we where top around Xmas time then we got pumped by the huns 4-3 after being up 3-0 at half time and the @rse fell out the season.
I also mind a derby at ER where rougier was on fire think it was Allan McManus he was up against and had him on toast but he very rarely was given the ball that day will always mind my old man screaming give it to tony! Most heated id saw him at the footy at the time,

I'm undecided which team was worse but lee power was one of the worst strikers iv ever seen and he's not even made the squad list neithers Paul tosh also crud

That was a lot earlier than Xmas - late August if I remember correctly and I think we were 3-1 up at half time, Gascoigne ran the show for them. We had been on fire up until then or thereabouts, but lost a Derby either the week before or after that game 0-1 at Easter Road and the heads started to go down.

Looking at the OP's stats, I don't remember us playing for seven games without a goalie but that may have been part of the problem :greengrin

Speedway
09-01-2012, 12:17 PM
That team crushed the Pars 5-2 at ER, led 3-0 against the Huns when Theo Snelders was throwing them in for us and like has been said, we lost 3-4 and season over.

By January we were an absolute disgrace and were that side to play the current side, it would end 0-0 after 6 hours.

vanNISHtelroy
09-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Totally agree re Andy walker and being an arse

He's also a ****er and a dirty A$r *******!

:)

LancashireHibby
09-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Andy walker relegated and on the bench.....

In his eyes he's a superstar as well !!

In fairness it was the back end of his career after a few bad injuries. When he was at Bolton in between 91-94ish he was absolutely outstanding.

allezsauzee
09-01-2012, 12:57 PM
I had thought that the current team might have been the worst one I'd seen since I started following Hibs in the early 80s but I forgot just how much dross we had in the relegation season. It's a pretty awful line up. I can't believe anyone would suggest that Ollie would be in goals before either Stack or Brown!

Makaveli
09-01-2012, 12:59 PM
That team had "fight and creativity" and a couldn't care less attitude.

As opposed to the no fight, no creativity and "couldn't care less attitude" of the last 18 months?

97/98 still edge it.

jgl07
09-01-2012, 04:00 PM
That was a lot earlier than Xmas - late August if I remember correctly and I think we were 3-1 up at half time, Gascoigne ran the show for them. We had been on fire up until then or thereabouts, but lost a Derby either the week before or after that game 0-1 at Easter Road and the heads started to go down.

The rot set in at Motherwell at week before the Rangers match when Hibs were leading through a Tony Rougier goal but were pegged back late on.

In the Rangers match, Crawford missed a sitter that would have put Hibs 4-1 up.

Then the referee started giving free kicks for 'looking at Rangers players in a funny way' and Hibs basically stopped tackling.

Rangers had two of the best free kick exponents in the game in Paul Gascoigne and Jörg Albertz and were ruthless in front of goal.

That defeat knocked the stuffing out of Hibs and they plummeted from top of the table in September to bottom.

The team sheet above has omitted Lee Power (scored in the opening day win over Celtic) and Paul Tosh. Grant Brebner came on loan from Man United rather too late in the season after McLeish took over.

The team looked a lot better on paper than on the pitch. There were good individual players in that team and they did get to the top of the table on merit. They scored bagfuls of goals early in the season including two from the half way line (Charnley and McGinlay) but proved tactically inept as they hit a run of defeats. Charnley seemed to lose interest as the form slumped.

Remember that Jim Duffy was manager!

Musselbound
09-01-2012, 04:13 PM

The number is the Apps

DF Darren Dods 32
DF John Hughes 27
DF Willie Miller 34
MF Chic Charnley 23
MF Andy Dow 35
MF Kevin Harper 29
MF Pat McGinlay 36
FW Stephen Crawford 38
MF Tony Rougier 31

Others

GK Bryan Gunn 12
FW Barry Lavety 29
DF Brian Welsh 17
MF Chris Jackson 16
MF Grant Brebner 9
FW Andy Walker 9

Generally better than what we have now in similar positions:

Hughes, Miller, Charnley, Harper, McGinlay, Lavety, Crawford, Brebner, Walker.

Of these Charnley and Walker were nearing the end of their careers, but they were better players who on their day would easily have got a game in the current team and the subs bench looks far stronger than now!

Much of a muchness to today:

Boco, Dods, Dow, Rougier, Gunn, Jackson, Welsh.

I'd say only Ollie G is noticably worse than what we have now and I am genuinely quite shocked by my conclusions! I also associate going down with the likes of Tosh and Power but it looks as if the squad was actually significantly stronger than now!

Musselbound
09-01-2012, 04:18 PM
That team crushed the Pars 5-2 at ER, led 3-0 against the Huns when Theo Snelders was throwing them in for us and like has been said, we lost 3-4 and season over.

By January we were an absolute disgrace and were that side to play the current side, it would end 0-0 after 6 hours.

I doubt it. There is a hell of a lot more creativity in that old line up/squad than there is in the current one.

Matty_Jack04
09-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Mind east end park ( welsh winner late on) big ollie was slamming 20yrd screamers into Bryan gunn in the warm
Up should have had the huddy up front cause he was no goalkeeper

Strange tho back then even with going down I loved going to the football now it's a chore shows what blind youthful faith does eh

northgreen24
09-01-2012, 05:51 PM
I had thought that the current team might have been the worst one I'd seen since I started following Hibs in the early 80s but I forgot just how much dross we had in the relegation season. It's a pretty awful line up. I can't believe anyone would suggest that Ollie would be in goals before either Stack or Brown!

I am not for one minuite saying that stack is not a better keeper than olly however take GOC and GS and I am not sure who else would get in to that old team, again there was some bad performances back then as no good team does go down but there is clearly some flair players and this team have no one in midfield who can create chances or run the show.

I really feel that if we lose on saturday there is no way back even if we do get a few players in

I do hope i am wrong though :flag:

Baader
09-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Remember us being rank rotten that season until Eck came in but we appointed him too late. The 2-2 on new years day against the manky gorgie mob saved duffys job at the time, which was a bad thing - we should have gotten rid.

Remember we also had crap like Davy Elliott at fullback and Jamie Mcquilken to rival dross like power and tosh. Duffy signed some utter duds. Under a manager who wisnae anything other than totally useless there was one or two players in there.

The whole standard of Scottish football sadly had declined, across the board, since even then. That '98 team woud probably finish 7th now!

clerriehibs
09-01-2012, 06:13 PM
This lot should have been too good to go down as well ... http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_stats_season.php

edit: sorry, didn't realise the link wouldn't save the year - I meant season 1979/80

Mon Dieu4
09-01-2012, 06:34 PM
The rot set in at Motherwell at week before the Rangers match when Hibs were leading through a Tony Rougier goal but were pegged back late on.

In the Rangers match, Crawford missed a sitter that would have put Hibs 4-1 up.

Then the referee started giving free kicks for 'looking at Rangers players in a funny way' and Hibs basically stopped tackling.
Rangers had two of the best free kick exponents in the game in Paul Gascoigne and Jörg Albertz and were ruthless in front of goal.

That defeat knocked the stuffing out of Hibs and they plummeted from top of the table in September to bottom.

!

Correct, Jimmy Boco also went on a run and found himself in on goal but tried to pass to no one, which also could have put us 4-1 up.

The free kick Gazza scored from was actually a foul to us, his elbows and hands were all over the joint as normal and he falls down and gets a free kick for it, that game still angers me :dummytit: