PDA

View Full Version : Riordan - Training Facilities

MontrealHibs
08-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Sorry if I have missed this, I'm not getting as much board action as I would like. I heard that Deeks agent asked Hibs for training facilities and they have declined him, as have Rangers and Celtic.

Good source, not exactly big news, but a wee bit disappointing that we won't even let our top goalscorer of the last 20 years have training facilities.

Thoughts?

SquashedFrogg
08-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Sorry if I have missed this, I'm not getting as much board action as I would like. I heard that Deeks agent asked Hibs for training facilities and they have declined him, as have Rangers and Celtic.

Good source, not exactly big news, but a wee bit disappointing that we won't even let our top goalscorer of the last 20 years have training facilities.

Thoughts?

He didn't get himself fit using them the last time so why let him use them this time?

Time to move on and get a fresh feel around the place.

Sorry Deeks. Join a gym :agree:

Baldy Foghorn
08-01-2012, 06:06 PM

Thoughts?

Why does he need to use East Mains or the old firm? He can run around various places like Arthur Seat, and go to any gym he wants.....

Dashing Bob S
08-01-2012, 06:07 PM
He didn't get himself fit using them the last time so why let him use them this time?

Time to move on and get a fresh feel around the place.

Sorry Deeks. Join a gym :agree:

Also rejected by Hearts as was useless at badminton and therefore likely to weaken the team against the students in the play-off for use of the facilities.

He'd have felt at home there - nobody is getting wages.

SquashedFrogg
08-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Also rejected by Hearts as was useless at badminton and therefore likely to weaken the team against the students in the play-off for use of the facilities.

:tee hee:

matty_f
08-01-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm in two minds with this one - on the one hand I'd like to see the club look after a former player, on the other hand though I think the training center should be dedicated to the team. It's there for Hibernian players and it should be exclusive. If folk want to use the facilities there then they should be contracted to the club as a player.

SquashedFrogg
08-01-2012, 06:25 PM

http://www.hw.ac.uk/img/cse-reception-800x450.jpg

ALF TUPPER
08-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Wonder if Hibs will let me use their training facilities at East Mains ?

Jones28
08-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Good, times have moved on. Thanks for the goals Deek :flag:

ScottB
08-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Are we a charity likes? He left us for £30k a week in China, I'm sure he can afford to join a gym.

Sudds_1
08-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Why does he need to use East Mains or the old firm? He can run around various places like Arthur Seat, and go to any gym he wants.....

yep, 100% correct. Besides. EM and fitness appear not to go hand in hand judging by the state of the squad :rolleyes::rolleyes:

monktonharp
08-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Wonder if Hibs will let me use their training facilities at East Mains ?too fat:rolleyes:

Gala Foxes
08-01-2012, 06:51 PM
If this is true I think the club were right to decline use of facilities.

Both Club & player have moved on - we don't need ex players proving a distraction to players at training. On the basis of corners & free kicks at last 2 games our guys need all the focus on training they can get

DC_Hibs
08-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Are we a charity likes? He left us for £30k a week in China, I'm sure he can afford to join a gym.

30k a week!!!!!!!!!!!

Delek, come to China. We give you not two, not five but more than ten times your Heebs salary...........

Must be true, one journalist invented that figure and now its fekn gospel.

Scouse Hibee
08-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Hibs were worried that Deeks fitness levels would embarass the squad! :greengrin

Brooster
08-01-2012, 07:10 PM
CC was still the manager when Deeks asked to use East Mains. He was refused. Im not sure if he has asked again since Fenlon has arrived.

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Unless we are looking to offer him a contract, then there are no positives for either club or player in letting him be around the place and the players.

nortonhibby
08-01-2012, 07:16 PM

Thoughts?

RP Don Teflon at it again.

Hibbyradge
08-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Loady.

matty_f
08-01-2012, 07:18 PM
RP Don Teflon at it again.

This nonsense isn't even in context this time!

IWasThere2016
08-01-2012, 07:49 PM
CC was still the manager when Deeks asked to use East Mains. He was refused. Im not sure if he has asked again since Fenlon has arrived.

I understand he has asked, and it was refused by someone above PF.

Mikey
08-01-2012, 07:56 PM
If folk want to use the facilities there then they should be contracted to the club as a player.

Aye.

SouthamptonHibs
08-01-2012, 07:56 PM
if this is true it can only be for the reason that wee Deek would embarres the current squad,Petrie get him signed up!
I believe a fellow poster said both Deek and Hibs have moved on! Deek has no club and Hibs are carbage..letssortitout easy fix Deek back to Hibs..we'll score goals

IWasThere2016
08-01-2012, 07:58 PM

Mikey
08-01-2012, 07:59 PM

Garry, will you chuck that effin phone out!

3pm
08-01-2012, 07:59 PM
I can only assume East Mains is part of Unight.

matty_f
08-01-2012, 08:00 PM

And stop making things up.:greengrin

matty_f
08-01-2012, 08:00 PM
I can only assume East Mains is part of Unight.

:tee hee:

degenerated
08-01-2012, 08:01 PM

And quite rightly so given he is not a hibs player anymore.

DanHFC1875
08-01-2012, 08:04 PM
He's bumped us twice, about time we bumped him.. Cheerio ;)

ALF TUPPER
08-01-2012, 08:07 PM
too fat:rolleyes:

Heehee

staunchhibby
08-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Do we need this pettiness with not allowing Deek training facilities given the state we are in.Nothing to lose possibly more to gain

matty_f
08-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Do we need this pettiness with not allowing Deek training facilities given the state we are in.Nothing to lose possibly more to gain

How's it petty? Do you get to go back to your old work and kick about when it suits you?

PapillonVert
08-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Well, the Club must have its reasons because in principle I can't see any reason not to offer an ex-player training facilities. It's been done before - Mixu, for example.

Maybe there is a feeling he would be a bad influence?

matty_f
08-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Well, the Club must have its reasons because in principle I can't see any reason not to offer an ex-player training facilities. It's been done before - Mixu, for example.

I think Fenlon just wants to concentrate on the players that he has there. It's a workplace, not a drop in center.

IWasThere2016
08-01-2012, 08:24 PM

I have no control over the thing :greengrin

HibsMax
08-01-2012, 08:29 PM

Maybe Derek could play for Hibs, for no salary, while we works on his fitness level? Other teams will see exactly what they're missing out on and offer him a lucrative deal.

Tongue in cheek of course but why should Hibs be offering their facilities for nothing? "more to gain", like what?

Hibrandenburg
08-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Make no mistake, DR has always looked out for number 1. Sure he may be a die hard Hibby but his main priority has always been DR. Hibs owe him nothing. Thanks for the memories Deek and good luck in the future.

Ozyhibby
08-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Given the rumours about the trouble caused by deek at east mains last season then it's probably the right decision.

BoltonHibee
08-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Given the rumours about the trouble caused by deek at east mains last season then it's probably the right decision.

Rumours, gid yin

Irish_Steve
08-01-2012, 08:46 PM

I may be wrong but as far as I remember, Mixu was running around Arthur`s Seat on his own to keep fit. However, he was canny enough to make sure he was doing it when Hibs were out training and the fact that he look so fit lead him to be offered a chance in bounce games - he did well enough to earn another contract.

Deeks, off you go up that hill now

Albion Hibs
08-01-2012, 08:47 PM
As has been pointed out above, he is a has achieved a lot as a goal scorer for hibs and sometimes I think we need to remember that history. I have no issue with him using the facility, we spent plenty money on it and i see no harm in having someone so significant to the club being allowed to use it. All this bad influence stuff is a load of nonsense.

PS I heard it was 36k net, good source.

Beefster
08-01-2012, 08:51 PM

Totally agree. I once asked my old employer if I could go in to use their printers, telephone and PCs and they said no. I mean WTF!

.Sean.
08-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Complete and utter tosh.

Leithenhibby
08-01-2012, 08:55 PM
if this is true it can only be for the reason that wee Deek would embarres the current squad,Petrie get him signed up!
I believe a fellow poster said both Deek and Hibs have moved on! Deek has no club and Hibs are carbage..letssortitout easy fix Deek back to Hibs..we'll score goals

Time to move on me thinks... :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vkqf547rk0

BEEJ
08-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Maybe Derek could play for Hibs, for no salary, while we works on his fitness level? Other teams will see exactly what they're missing out on and offer him a lucrative deal.

Nah! That kind of thing will never catch on.

Only the very biggest teams get away with that kind of tactic.

Spike Mandela
08-01-2012, 10:08 PM

Yeah, heard about that. Deek was staying back practising free kicks and stuff when the caretaker wanted to lock up. Troublemaking *******!

Sammy7nil
08-01-2012, 10:15 PM
I think Hibs are correct to concentrate on avoiding the drop and deek may not fit in with Fenlons training and become a distraction.

If however deek only wants to get fit and have a kick about let him use EM and train with the U/19's surely having someone of deeks quality helping to bring along the boys could only help.

I think it is petty not letting him train there but I understand why he should not train with the 1st team.

Pete
08-01-2012, 10:16 PM
I think whoever is blocking this is shooting themselves in the foot and denying the club an opportunity. Who's to say Pat Fenlon won't fancy him and he might just fit in with the new system that will no doubt emerge. I would understand if CC was still in charge but this is a new beginning with a new leadership. If Pat isn't impressed then nobody has lost anything.

This guy can score goals and would play for us at a fraction of his market value. It's a no-brainer in my opinion.

GreenPJ
08-01-2012, 10:19 PM
I think whoever is blocking this is shooting themselves in the foot and denying the club an opportunity. Who's to say Pat Fenlon won't fancy him and he might just fit in with the new system that will no doubt emerge. I would understand if CC was still in charge but this is a new beginning with a new leadership. If Pat isn't impressed then nobody has lost anything.

This guy can score goals and would play for us at a fraction of his market value. It's a no-brainer in my opinion.

What is his market value? Am not doubting he was a talented guy and has two good feet but if he has such a high market value why on the 8th Jan does he not have a club when he has been a free for the last 2 months?

silverhibee
08-01-2012, 10:32 PM
How's it petty? Do you get to go back to your old work and kick about when it suits you?

Stephen Glass and Tam MacManus got to use EM to keep fit.

Pete
08-01-2012, 10:32 PM
What is his market value? Am not doubting he was a talented guy and has two good feet but if he has such a high market value why on the 8th Jan does he not have a club when he has been a free for the last 2 months?

I think it's safe to say that it's more than our wage limit using his previous contracts as a guide.
As for why he's still a free agent, maybe it's his reputation going before him...or maybe he just wants a break.

I just think it's crazy to rule this out considering his talent and love for the club.

silverhibee
08-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Make no mistake, DR has always looked out for number 1. Sure he may be a die hard Hibby but his main priority has always been DR. Hibs owe him nothing. Thanks for the memories Deek and good luck in the future.

What player doesn't.

silverhibee
08-01-2012, 10:36 PM

What rumours would they be. ?

silverhibee
08-01-2012, 10:54 PM

Sorry Brooster but that is not true, he asked when Hibs were managerless and was declined, he made it quite clear that all he was looking for was to use EM to keep his fitness levels up until the window opened, no ties or anything like that just to use the training centre, Hibs have done it in the past with players and allowed them to use EM to keep there fitness levels up while they find a club and the club didn't seem to have any problem with it with these players, but a lad who has scored over 100 goals for the club he supports in two spells with Hibs gets turned down. :aok:

I am sure Fenlon mentioned something to the press about it a few weeks ago when Deek done an interview with SSN, but wouldn't know how to find that.:greengrin

matty_f
08-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Stephen Glass and Tam MacManus got to use EM to keep fit.

This season?

chrisski33
08-01-2012, 11:13 PM
What if he was allowed to use em then another club came in and signed him up? Can see why he hasnt been allowed. EM should only be used by contracted players if deeks needs to.get fitter he should go to the gym! Anyone know why he hasnt been signed up by a club since coming back from china?

silverhibee
08-01-2012, 11:55 PM
I think Fenlon just wants to concentrate on the players that he has there. It's a workplace, not a drop in center.

More like a rehab centre if rumours are true that we are after Black.

silverhibee
09-01-2012, 12:02 AM
This season?

Glass last season, does it matter what season it was Matty, Hibs have allowed players, free agents, to use EM to train.

Was Alan Smith allowed to train at EM last season. ?

silverhibee
09-01-2012, 12:05 AM
What if he was allowed to use em then another club came in and signed him up? Can see why he hasnt been allowed. EM should only be used by contracted players if deeks needs to.get fitter he should go to the gym! Anyone know why he hasnt been signed up by a club since coming back from china?

The transfer window just opened 9 days ago.

Ozyhibby
09-01-2012, 12:23 AM
What rumours would they be. ?

Are you saying there weren't rumours?

silverhibee
09-01-2012, 12:32 AM

Well you will need to tell me the rumours first before i can comment on them.

Ozyhibby
09-01-2012, 12:44 AM
The only rumours I know of are what I read on here or idle chat in the pub. No inside info from other players or the woman who washes the kit.
I'm not say they are true or not true. What I am saying is that there were rumours throughout last season and they were persistent.
With that in mind, then it was probably the right decision.
Considering the club often let ex players train then I suspect there is someone at Easter road who thinks there is a good reason not to let him train there.
Deek was a great player for us first time out and a good player second time around. Can't see there being a third.

silverhibee
09-01-2012, 01:19 AM
The only rumours I know of are what I read on here or idle chat in the pub. No inside info from other players or the woman who washes the kit.
I'm not say they are true or not true. What I am saying is that there were rumours throughout last season and they were persistent.
With that in mind, then it was probably the right decision.
Considering the club often let ex players train then I suspect there is someone at Easter road who thinks there is a good reason not to let him train there.
Deek was a great player for us first time out and a good player second time around. Can't see there being a third.

Okay, so what were the rumours then, i never heard any rumours about Deek last season, just man up and spill the beans on the rumours you heard or you are just as well deleting your posts about these rumours, cant remember any rumours about Deek on here last season, could you maybe show me them.

GreenPJ
09-01-2012, 02:47 AM
The transfer window just opened 9 days ago.

So agents would not have been touting clients until the 1st of Jan then, even though his agent had come out in the press a number of weeks before the transfer window and talked about opportunities in Germany and Turkey. The truth of the matter is that Derek sadly is not as highly rated as some people expect or want him to be, whether that is justified or not is irrelevant the fact of the matter is that he doesn't have a club despite having left China a while ago.

Whatever Hibs did in the past with some people it is entirely their perogative as to who they allow to train and who they don't.

1two
09-01-2012, 05:35 AM
Why is this even being discussed? We need to move forward as a club, not look to the past. Derek left, he had his chance and for whatever reason the club chose not to extend his stay. Let's move on

Hibrandenburg
09-01-2012, 06:10 AM
What player doesn't.

Nobody nowadays and that's pretty much my point. Hibs need to look after Hibs and even if they think there's a slight chance that DR could have a negative influence on the team, then they are right to ask him to stay away.

Nailrod
09-01-2012, 06:38 AM
Nobody nowadays and that's pretty much my point. Hibs need to look after Hibs and even if they think there's a slight chance that DR could have a negative influence on the team, then they are right to ask him to stay away.

In his last season, while being widely derided as rubbish, (and while playing out of position in a team that was incontestably rubbish) he managed to score 11 goals in 28 league starts. That compares with 19 goals in 21 league games from the whole team so far this season.

I think he could very well have a negative influence on the team. We don't want guys hanging about ER that might actually score a goal from time to time.

And I'm not surprised he's not been given training facilities. Given the length of time he was around Hibs, he must certainly have had a run-in or two with the very important people in suits who are doing such a great job of presiding over our impending demise.

Brooster
09-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Sorry Brooster but that is not true, he asked when Hibs were managerless and was declined, he made it quite clear that all he was looking for was to use EM to keep his fitness levels up until the window opened, no ties or anything like that just to use the training centre, Hibs have done it in the past with players and allowed them to use EM to keep there fitness levels up while they find a club and the club didn't seem to have any problem with it with these players, but a lad who has scored over 100 goals for the club he supports in two spells with Hibs gets turned down. :aok:

I am sure Fenlon mentioned something to the press about it a few weeks ago when Deek done an interview with SSN, but wouldn't know how to find that.:greengrin

Fair enough Silver. I was just casting my mind back and thought it was at the end of CCs tenure. Neil McCann is another player who had used the ffacilities at east mains recently.

basehibby
09-01-2012, 08:32 AM
I've no bone to pick with Deeks. However, given his reputation as a) not the hardest of trainers and b) someone not impartial to the odd night out on the tiles, I can easilly see why the Hibs backroom team would not be falling over themselves to have him hanging about the place. The exception to that rule of course would be if Fenlon was interested in signing him.

Good luck to Deeks in his quest to find a suitable club this window BTW

johnrebus
09-01-2012, 09:09 AM
If Derek Riordan asked for , and was refused use of East Mains training facilities, then it truly sums up the a*******s who are running the club.

:brickwall

PatHead
09-01-2012, 09:22 AM
The main problem I would have if we gave DR training facilities to get him up to speed. At the end of January PF decided he doesn't want him and the only offer on the table is from say Dunfermline or Inverness. DR signs for them in order to get an income. This would mean we had helped our competitors.

Andy74
09-01-2012, 09:28 AM
If Derek Riordan asked for , and was refused use of East Mains training facilities, then it truly sums up the a*******s who are running the club.

:brickwall

Why is that?

He doesn't play for us, he might even end up at a competitor team and Fenlon works very closely with the squad of players to be involved for the next game on shaping the team.

What makes him any different to anyone else? We are supposed to be a professional sports team and they don't ordinarily hand out facilites to get fit for their own purpose or for the eventual benefit of a competitor.

We've got a serious situation over the the next six months and if its all the same to you I'd like the a*******s that run the club to be able to concentrate only on us and getting us out of this.

Mikey
09-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Spot on Andy.

I'd imagine the conversation was along the lines of........

SL - Derek Riordan has asked if he can train at East Mains. Do you have any thoughts about signing him?
PF - No, and I just want our own players at East Mains
SL - I'll tell him he's not training with us then

johnrebus
09-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Aye, very good.

Its nice to be nice, eh?

:rolleyes:

The Modfather
09-01-2012, 10:38 AM
He's been a fantastic servant in previous spell(s), but as for him coming back, thanks but no thanks from me.

Last season, particularly the second half, he was part of the problem, (along with all the rest) not the solution. His career has been on the wain for a good four of five years now, and what talent he had he has all but pissed away. Scandalous to think that all he has to show for 10 years as a professional, thus far, is one solitary cap, and maybe a squad members winners medal at the lesser greens at best.

As an aside, I was told a story the other day about O'Connor. Apparently a guy at work and his mate (both Hibees) were out for a few beers in a watering hole out by Musselburgh/Tranent, the night before we were away to Dunfermline. They were surprised when O'Connor walked in. They asked him "take it you're not playing tomorrow", to which he replied "no". Nothing untoward about that, or the fact he left the pub a long way from sober shall we say. You can imagine their surprise when he was on the team-sheet (and scored if I recall - "only Jesus can judge me" game?). Sadly, I can well believe that. Sounds very akin to the culture at Easter Road, and Scottish "athletes" in general.

Hibs90
09-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Why not let him use the facilities outside of training hours? What's wrong with that?

Joke indeed, only Hibs.

Hibs90
09-01-2012, 11:01 AM

Do not remember one rumour at all. Think you are just trying to stir some ****.

bingo70
09-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Do not remember one rumour at all. Think you are just trying to stir some ****.

I think there's been constant rumours about deeks not being a good trainer and having a poor work ethic.

I've not got the faintest idea if they are true or not but i think you're being a bit harsh on the poster you've quoted.

Judas Iscariot
09-01-2012, 11:07 AM

You just made that up eh :faf:

:bye:

silverhibee
09-01-2012, 12:49 PM
I think there's been constant rumours about deeks not being a good trainer and having a poor work ethic.

I've not got the faintest idea if they are true or not but i think you're being a bit harsh on the poster you've quoted.

Hopefully Scoopyboy can answer this as he has his contacts at Hibs regarding things at EM, maybe he will know if Deek was a good trainer or not.

silverhibee
09-01-2012, 12:59 PM

The poster said Deek was causing trouble at EM all last season, on and of the pitch, if the poster has something to say he should just put it uo on the MB and it can be discussed, but he declined to do that, if it was because Deek was allegedly not being the best trainer then there would be no problem with him posting that if it was true.

Ozyhibby
09-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Settle down chaps, my post has clearly caused offence and so I will retract my statement and say that I believe Deek was a model pro throughout his time at Hibs.
No point getting all humpty with each other over whether an ex player can train or not, especially when the current team is so dire.

sesoim
09-01-2012, 04:11 PM
My own view on Riordan is that we need another regular goalscorer in our team, and if Fenlon can't find one then surely we have to take another look at him. Fenlon hasn't worked with him before and maybe he can get as much out of him as our only other decent manager in the last ten years (Mowbray obviously).

Jones28
09-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Why not give Doyle the opportunity to prove himself rather than clamoring for an ex player who was a part of the problem towards the end of his time here?

Baldy Foghorn
09-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Why not let him use the facilities outside of training hours? What's wrong with that?

Joke indeed, only Hibs.

There are lots and lots of gyms that can be used, not sure why you think its a joke?

ChooseLife
09-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Why not give Doyle the opportunity to prove himself rather than clamoring for an ex player who was a part of the problem towards the end of his time here?

he scored 11 goals, he was the only player who didn't seem to have a problem, it's like Garry O right now, if he leaves in summer and we finish 11th, nowone will remember that without Garrys goals we would be rock bottom right now, easily, under Hughes it was the exact same, no deeks goals= bottom.

The only good players hibs have had since I've been watching them are the "golden generation", the only decent players we had after they left where the golden generation again when, Murray, Riordan and O'Connor returned. (Stokes was bought to be sold)

If we remain patient until Whittaker, Broony, Thompson etc are all old enough, we can have a decent team again if we resign them when nowone wants them. :agree:

GreenPJ
09-01-2012, 05:17 PM

Joke indeed, only Hibs.

Am guessing the reason he asked to train with Hibs is he would be put through his paces by Hibernian paid employees. Too offer facilities outside training is the same as running round any park or using any gym surely.

Beefster
09-01-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm hearing that Bannatyne's refused him free access to their facilities too. ****ing scandalous.

Baldy Foghorn
09-01-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm hearing that Bannatyne's refused him free access to their facilities too. ****ing scandalous.

:greengrin:greengrin

scoopyboy
09-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Hopefully Scoopyboy can answer this as he has his contacts at Hibs regarding things at EM, maybe he will know if Deek was a good trainer or not.

I have never heard of any disruption that Derek has caused at East Mains, unlike Stokes, Bamba, Zemmamma and various others.

My info is that he trained well and I'm sure Hughes commented on this at one point.

dp00
09-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Is it not quite common for ex players to do this ?

SquashedFrogg
09-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Is it not quite common for ex players to do this ?

Not really, no.

Scouse Hibee
09-01-2012, 07:16 PM
FFS 4 pages! Does anyone actually know if Deek asked Pat Fenlon for training facilities and that he was in fact refused?

Eyrie
09-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Seems like we're not the only club to not want an unsigned player using our facilities.

3pm
09-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Who cares?!