PDA

View Full Version : Invest in SFL talent?

number9dream
08-01-2012, 11:10 AM
While I acknowledge that it is not a priority - that would be a right-back, centre-half and a creative playmaker - if we do have any spare cash, then how about snapping up a young player or two from the lower leagues?
Ryan Donnelly has been banging them in for Airdrie - drawing comparisons with the young Owen Coyle - and Falkirk have a bunch of promising kids.
£100,000 now could reap much greater rewards in resale value in a couple of years.
The dire position we're in leaves little chance for the untested but, with a player like Craig Sibbald, we could slap down some cash to see off SPL rivals, let him stay with the Bairns until the end of the season, then add an exciting talent to the squad in the summer.
For the same reason, I'd like to see Caldwell, Handling and Stanton get some experience on loan in the SFL...

gobragh1875
08-01-2012, 11:29 AM
e maild the club 3 months ago about the lad did they take an intrest did they donald duck dont think we have a scouting system any more

PISTOL1875
08-01-2012, 11:32 AM
While I acknowledge that it is not a priority - that would be a right-back, centre-half and a creative playmaker - if we do have any spare cash, then how about snapping up a young player or two from the lower leagues?
Ryan Donnelly has been banging them in for Airdrie - drawing comparisons with the young Owen Coyle - and Falkirk have a bunch of promising kids.
£100,000 now could reap much greater rewards in resale value in a couple of years.
The dire position we're in leaves little chance for the untested but, with a player like Craig Sibbald, we could slap down some cash to see off SPL rivals, let him stay with the Bairns until the end of the season, then add an exciting talent to the squad in the summer.
For the same reason, I'd like to see Caldwell, Handling and Stanton get some experience on loan in the SFL...

Correct..

Swanson , Conway , Gomis and Bauben are perfect examples..

MrRobot
08-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Theres a guy frim Falkirk thats baged in I think 21 this season too. Moroccan guy I believe. Not sure about his age but scored again yesterday.

MrRobot
08-01-2012, 11:44 AM
This is the guy http://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_senior_team&pid=191

Apperently interest from English teams.

Hibstrooper
08-01-2012, 11:56 AM
The boy Donnelly is definitely someone I think we should be looking at. Scored 2 against United yesterday.

Hibstrooper
08-01-2012, 11:58 AM
This is the guy http://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_senior_team&pid=191

Apperently interest from English teams.

Wait a minute, this guy:

http://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_senior_team&pid=198

Surely not! Element of slothness in the looks though so could be. Didn't think he'd be allowed to reproduce!

number9dream
08-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Hopefully, Caldwell and Stanton prove to be better players than the likes of Donnelly and Sibbald.
One way to find out is to farm them off to Morton or Livi etc and see if they can do the business, since Fenlon is unlikely to pitch them into a relegation battle.

I maintain that there is an economic case for gambling on exceptional SFL talent if a juicy transfer fee can be gleaned years down the line.
That should appeal to Rod. It's just a shame that the declining revenue we have will be spent plugging holes in the squad and paying off duds.

muirhousehibby
08-01-2012, 05:57 PM
I liked the look of the guy mackenzie from cowdenbeath yesterday he ran riot on the right at times. Tricky and bags of pace.loaning out some younsters is a must. Or we will lose more from the u19s etc without really giving the a chance. I also thought flynn had a good game yesterday aggainst us coming of his line etc. Looked better than brown has and we let him go last season too

Cropley10
08-01-2012, 06:04 PM
The boy Donnelly is definitely someone I think we should be looking at. Scored 2 against United yesterday.

Agree. But we've just bought a striker.

Lang Toun Hibs
08-01-2012, 06:41 PM

I remember someone doing this before - was it not a certain mr Duffy who filled our team with the pick of first division players? Where did we end up? Oh yeah, first division.

Scorrie
08-01-2012, 06:46 PM
I would rather have a look at good SFL players and give them a chance rather than keep signing dross from the lower reaches of the English leagues who largely aren't up to SPL standard anyway. I am sure that a decent scouting network would find a gem or two in the lower leagues...