PDA

View Full Version : Can it become more obvious - DEFENDING.

scott7_0(Prague)
07-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Defence.... Chocolate......Need improvements.

Even against lower league oppositions our chocolate defence has been shown up for what they are. Changes are needed, big change - we need a complete new defence> i believe we have the players in other positions to see us ok, but defence..................nope.

Sas_The_Hibby
07-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Wasn't at today's game, but I agree. Whilst we need improvement in all areas, we should start on the defence. It was CC's failure to address this in the summer that has put us where we are now, IMO.

scott7_0(Prague)
07-01-2012, 04:53 PM
And to add, we where all moaning about Bamba, Hogg and Jones being bomb scares. Would have them before the imposters we have now. :agree:

midlothianhibby
07-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Whilst we need improvement in all areas, we should start on the defence. It was CC's failure to address this in the summer that has put us where we are now, IMO.

I'm in agreement with you. If we can come out of the January transfer window with an improved and settled back four, our chances of staying in the premier league will be much improved.

Feed McGraw
07-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Defence.... Chocolate......Need improvements.

Even against lower league oppositions our chocolate defence has been shown up for what they are. Changes are needed, big change - we need a complete new defence> i believe we have the players in other positions to see us ok, but defence..................nope.

As plain as the nose on your face, an absolute joke of a defence that is on a par with our clown like goalkeepers of a few years back. The goalie thing was sorted eventually (one of the few things I do give Yogi credit for) and I`m hopeful wee Pat will sort this woeful unit out too.

bingo70
07-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Unbelievable to think after the shambles of last season calderwood thought all we had to do was sign o'hanlon and everything would be ok.....winding me up even thinking about that!

Albion Hibs
07-01-2012, 05:27 PM
I was at the game today and if you think the defense is the problem, you are kidding yourselves. Our midfield is about as soft and as small as i have seen.

Dont get me wrong, Booth and Hanlon were grim today, not an easy game give the conditions, but we have decent enough defenders for the SPL, we just have the square root of nothing in front of them.

Feed McGraw
07-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Unbelievable to think after the shambles of last season calderwood thought all we had to do was sign o'hanlon and everything would be ok.....winding me up even thinking about that!

Remember thinking at the time - is that it ! ONE guy ( not knowing at the time how good, bad or indifferent he was ) coz no matter what you think of him - he alone was NEVER enough.

J-C
07-01-2012, 05:35 PM
I think what's being said on various threads that the defence is the area needing strengthened and PF looks like he's trying to sort that out, until we get the players in certain positions then we have to play with the crap we have. Would've went with Stephens instaed of O'Hanlon and Palsson at deep playmaker, stiffens up the middle.

ancient hibee
07-01-2012, 05:38 PM
As with all struggling teams it's the midfield that needs sorted.Ours neither protects the defence nor provides passes for the strikers.It doesn't work as a unit(regardless of who plays)and nobody organises it on the field.The reason the defence looks so bad is that they are constantly confronted by midfield runners coming through unopposed.

Baldy Foghorn
07-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Not convinced by O'hanlon, and Hart gives me palputations.........Feel sorry for Stephens being left out, when he has not done much wrong.....Our "wingers" dont alleviate pressure and dont create all that much either.......

King Paddy
07-01-2012, 05:41 PM
I was at the game today and if you think the defense is the problem, you are kidding yourselves. Our midfield is about as soft and as small as i have seen.

Dont get me wrong, Booth and Hanlon were grim today, not an easy game give the conditions, but we have decent enough defenders for the SPL, we just have the square root of nothing in front of them.

100% correct mate the 4 in midfield just don't hack it for me. Stevenson best of a poor lot.
Osbourne should be fit next week and hopefully a midfield general signed during the week.

Feed McGraw
07-01-2012, 05:42 PM

Agree with you that the midfield today was on the lightweight side, but there are personnel in the club at the moment who we could put in to change that, say Scott, Osbourne ? But the defence ? I think you are kidding YOURself. We need strengthened in both areas IMO.

Andy74
07-01-2012, 05:42 PM
It was difficult to judge the defence second half in that wind but O'Hanlon had a difficult half.

I thought Hart did well today overall actually. Great ball for the second goal too.

Albion Hibs
07-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Agree with you that the midfield today was on the lightweight side, but there are personnel in the club at the moment who we could put in to change that, say Scott, Osbourne ? But the defence ? I think you are kidding YOURself. We need strengthened in both areas IMO.

I would agree that osbourne does make a big difference, since he went out of the side we have not looked like winning a game.

I disagree about the defence. I think in O'Hanlon, Murray, Stephens, Hanlon we have players that are decent enough at SPL level to play CH. We are a bit exposed at FB positions, Booth for whatever reason is not up to it, but we do have Hart (who I thought was probably our best player today) and Murray and Hanlon can play LB. The bottom line for me, as I dont think there will be a back four in the league that gets as little help as ours and is forced to work so hard.

Feed McGraw
07-01-2012, 05:51 PM
It was difficult to judge the defence second half in that wind but O'Hanlon had a difficult half.

I thought Hart did well today overall actually. Great ball for the second goal too.

Agreed Andy, but we`re surely not judging the defence on just today.

NorthNorfolkHFC
07-01-2012, 05:53 PM
It's a little scary to think of the players we are crying out for.

One (maybe two) centre backs to work alongside a 'promising' Stephens. O'Hanlon binned.

We need a steady right back.

Left back is ok. Booth and Hanlon will be ok there.

We need two/three wide players. Maybe two left/two right. Sproule should be binned or be used sparingly, Galbraith should be free'd. People called for an extended run, he has had it and proved incapable.

We are probably ok in centre mid with Stevenson, Osborne and palsson (there is a player there, he was immense at times last season). That leaves a creative attacking mid to be found.

Strikers are ok provided O'connor stays, I'd like sodje to stay as well leaving griffiths, Doyle, o'connor and akpo to fight for two berths.

To summarise: we are talking about 7 players. Pretty scary considering we already signed one. 2xCB,1xRB, 3xAMR/L, 1xAMC.

scott7_0(Prague)
07-01-2012, 06:03 PM

Our midfield are not shipping goals, correct they are small and average at best. but shut shop with solid and seasoned pros at the back adn our midfield can get on with going forward.

Feed McGraw
07-01-2012, 06:05 PM
I would agree that osbourne does make a big difference, since he went out of the side we have not looked like winning a game.

I disagree about the defence. I think in O'Hanlon, Murray, Stephens, Hanlon we have players that are decent enough at SPL level to play CH. We are a bit exposed at FB positions, Booth for whatever reason is not up to it, but we do have Hart (who I thought was probably our best player today) and Murray and Hanlon can play LB. The bottom line for me, as I dont think there will be a back four in the league that gets as little help as ours and is forced to work so hard.

You`re right, they do need more protection, but it`s not the whole story IMO, we need new players in there too. They are all decent but it`s just not working. PS I`m a Murray fan too btw.

scott7_0(Prague)
07-01-2012, 06:07 PM
PS I`m a Murray fan too btw.

Do you think he will win in Brisbane ??

Feed McGraw
07-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Do you think he will win in Brisbane ??

Have to laugh coz when I wrote that - THAT Murray did come into my mind. Not too shabby a centre half I`m led to believe. :wink:

Postman
07-01-2012, 06:51 PM
To summarise: we are talking about 7 players. Pretty scary considering we already signed one. 2xCB,1xRB, 3xAMR/L, 1xAMC.

When you are working with an extremely tight budget, how can it possibly make sense to try and sign 3 wide men?? I think one centre half would also be sufficient until the summer when you can make bigger changes. Creative central midfielder a must

Sioux
07-01-2012, 06:53 PM

One (maybe two) centre backs to work alongside a 'promising' Stephens. O'Hanlon binned.

We need two/three wide players. Maybe two left/two right. Sproule should be binned or be used sparingly, Galbraith should be free'd. People called for an extended run, he has had it and proved incapable.

We are probably ok in centre mid with Stevenson, Osborne and palsson (there is a player there, he was immense at times last season). That leaves a creative attacking mid to be found.

Strikers are ok provided O'connor stays, I'd like sodje to stay as well leaving griffiths, Doyle, o'connor and akpo to fight for two berths.

Not agreeing with that. When Booth plays we lose goals. This season 13 games 23 goals. Last season 18 games 24 goals. Not all his fault admittedly but a damning statistic. He's forever out of contact with the rest of the back four leaving space in behind him.

Gala Foxes
07-01-2012, 07:08 PM
O'Hanlon was murder today, completely unable to read the game & causes panic whenever he is on the ball

Losing 2 goals and being under the cosh final 5 minutes to a part time club highlights how poor we are just now

The shambles at the Sodje substitution was embarassing

Albion Hibs
07-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Have to laugh coz when I wrote that - THAT Murray did come into my mind. Not too shabby a centre half I`m led to believe. :wink:

Lets be honest he is a hibby, can do loads of keepy ups with a tennis ball, is around 6'1 and 6'2 and most importantly reads the flight of a ball well.

If he could be convinced to pap of his mutli million pound future in tennis for 2k a week he is worth a call.

On the other hand he does not drink and I dont think he would be up for pissing in the corner of Why Not, so probably would not be accepted into the dressing room.

fife hfc
07-01-2012, 07:27 PM
The defence seriously lacks experience and this was badly neglected by CC during the summer. How the hell did he think we could go into the season with O'Hanlon as the only defender to have made over 100 senior apperances (Hart was not part of his plans). Hanlon, Towell, Booth and Stephens are still inexperienced, none of them playing anymore than 75 apperances. This is the problem and it is a vital part of the team and one which we have neglected. If O'hanlon gets injured we end up with a defence full of kids which is total lunacy.

Hanlon, Booth etc are good young players but are still learning their trades and will make mistakes and they need more experienced players to help them through, but they only find just as inexperienced players beside them in the back four. This is wrong and until we rectify it with a Davie Weir or Stephen Pressley type of leader to guide them we will struggle.

scott7_0(Prague)
21-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Defense.... Chocolate......Need improvements.

Even against lower league oppositions our chocolate defense has been shown up for what they are. Changes are needed, big change - we need a complete new defence> i believe we have the players in other positions to see us ok, but defense..................nope.

To save starting another thread i"ll bring this relevant thread back....

So, any of the believer still believe our defense is sound and it is really the midfield that's the issue?

spike220
21-01-2012, 09:35 PM

He is gone is he not???

KingFranck
21-01-2012, 09:44 PM
2 new centre halfs please asap get Scott Smith at LB Francombe at RB Booth LW team sorted!

cabbageandribs1875
21-01-2012, 10:53 PM
He is gone is he not???

he was still here the time that post was made