PDA

View Full Version : If you enjoyed The Killing......

goosano
06-01-2012, 08:41 PM
BBC4 has a new Danish drama called Borgen (http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/jan/06/the-killing-sanish-drama-borgen) starting tomorrow night. Same format as the Killing-2 episodes per night. Again made by DR and a huge hit in Denmark-a political thriller. Looks worth a look

lapsedhibee
06-01-2012, 09:01 PM
BBC4 has a new Danish drama called Borgen starting tomorrow night. Same format as the Killing-2 episodes per night. Again made by DR and a huge hit in Denmark-a political thriller. Looks worth a look

Immediately made me think of Deeks. So I hit the link - and there's Deeks being quoted!

Prof. Shaggy
06-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Immediately made me think of Deeks. So I hit the link - and there's Deeks being quoted!

The pic's not bad either - I especially like his hat.

hibsbollah
07-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Cheers, i'll be watching that:aok: At least until Killing 3 comes out:greengrin

hibsbollah
08-01-2012, 12:25 PM
That was excellent. Thats my Saturday night TV viewing sorted for the next 10 weeks:top marks

How do the Danes make such good TV?:confused:

goosano
08-01-2012, 01:00 PM
That was excellent. Thats my Saturday night TV viewing sorted for the next 10 weeks:top marks

Indeed it was. And Sidse Babett Knudsen is rather easy on the eye (what a name). It's good that they let a good story run over many weeks. Here I thought that the adaptations of for example Rankin's books would have been much better if they had not tried to cram everything into a few episodes

I think it is only on for the next 4 weeks though-10 episodes in all. The good news is that in Denmark they are on season 3 so there should be more coming :greengrin

hibsbollah
08-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Indeed it was. And Sidse Babett Knudsen is rather easy on the eye (what a name). It's good that they let a good story run over many weeks. Here I thought that the adaptations of for example Rankin's books would have been much better if they had not tried to cram everything into a few episodes

I think it is only on for the next 4 weeks though-10 episodes in all. The good news is that in Denmark they are on season 3 so there should be more coming :greengrin

Two of the best character actors from The Killing, Lund's sidekicks in series 1 (Meyer-the head of the TV station in this) and series 2 (Strange-the PMs husband in this) have got big parts in Borgen. Did anyone else struggle with all the parties involved though? I couldnt keep up with whether a character was from the Labour, Moderate, Liberal or Freedom party. I'm going to watch it again before the second installment.

GhostofBolivar
08-01-2012, 08:30 PM

How do the Danes make such good TV?:confused:

We only see the good bits.

I'm entirely certain that we will never see Denmark's answer to Ant and Dec.

goosano
08-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Two of the best character actors from The Killing, Lund's sidekicks in series 1 (Meyer-the head of the TV station in this) and series 2 (Strange-the PMs husband in this) have got big parts in Borgen. Did anyone else struggle with all the parties involved though? I couldnt keep up with whether a character was from the Labour, Moderate, Liberal or Freedom party. I'm going to watch it again before the second installment.

I too found all the political parties a bit hard to follow. It looks as if there may be another thriller called 'The Bridge' coming soon. . From 'The Independent'-But those who prefer their Nordic TV drama in its pure state should also look out for The Bridge, a 10-part Danish/Swedish co-production in which the corpse of a murder victim is found halfway across the Oresund Bridge, which links Copenhagen with Malmo in Sweden. This bridge also featured briefly in The Killing II – and there is a programme to be made (for BBC4, natch) that illustrates all the connections that are unfolding during our increasing exposure to Danish television.

GlesgaeHibby
20-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Finally got round to watching the first episode tonight and I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to catching up on the next 3 episodes available.

heretoday
21-01-2012, 01:24 PM
This will cool my ardour for Sara Lund for a while. I weep in wool shops.

heretoday
22-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Borgen is a bit like The Killing without the cool music and the guns. Dark. Lots of walking and talking in corridors and meeting rooms. Sexual tensions.

I wouldn't say it was so very much better than British series of recent years but it will keep me absorbed.

hibsbollah
22-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Im convinced the mole is the dizzy redhead PA to the PM, and the PMs apparently angelic new man husband will turn out to be a bad 'un. I'm really hoping it doesnt end predictably and throws us some curveballs instead.

goosano
23-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Borgen is a bit like The Killing without the cool music and the guns. Dark. Lots of walking and talking in corridors and meeting rooms. Sexual tensions.

I wouldn't say it was so very much better than British series of recent years but it will keep me absorbed.

I agree-it's good but not exceptional. The Danish women are kind of easy on the eye however.......

heretoday
24-01-2012, 10:00 AM
I agree-it's good but not exceptional. The Danish women are kind of easy on the eye however.......

The PM looks like a slimmed down version of comedienne Arabella Weir! And the beardie press secretary is a Ewan McGregor lookalike!

Hibernia&Alba
23-02-2012, 01:44 AM
I did enjoy the first series of Borgen, though IMO it isn't a patch on The Killing. It still represents goood grown up drama, of which there isn't much around. The story of the spin doctor Kasper and his sexual abuse in childhood at the hands of his father is very interesting and will doubtless be covered further in series two.

I've only seen season one of The Killing, and enjoyed it so much I bought the dvd right away. I shall be buying season two shortly along with The Wire, which I haven't seen at all but have been assured it's brilliant.

goosano
24-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Did anyone see this new Danish crime series on ITV 3 last night?

It contains Troels from Borgen. A bit different from the Killing-one story for each 2 hour episode but once again very good televsion

Available on catch up if you missed it

cabbageandribs1875
24-02-2012, 11:27 AM
nah, turned it over when i saw it was subtitles :(

Peevemor
24-02-2012, 11:31 AM
... but only little tourists. :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
24-02-2012, 11:51 PM
Did anyone see this new Danish crime series on ITV 3 last night?

It contains Troels from Borgen. A bit different from the Killing-one story for each 2 hour episode but once again very good televsion

Available on catch up if you missed it

Saw the advertisement then forgot all about it. Cheers, I'll look it up.

goosano
25-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Sadly it appears that 'Those Who Kill' is not available on ITV player

jonty
27-04-2012, 04:06 PM
New Scandinavian crime drama on BBC4 - The Bridge.

Anyone watched it?

Downloading on iplayer (eps 1 and 2 available) just now. no idea what it'll be like.

hibsbollah
27-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Enjoyed the first episode, watching the second one on watchagain tonight. The girl detective being borderline Asbergers is an interesting device. Very like the original Wallander series in style.

Hibernia&Alba
28-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Ordered series two of The Killing and am looking forward to watching it. I believe series three is in the making now.

hibsbollah
28-04-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm totally hooked on the bridge. Brilliant TV, how do this production team keep doing it?

Saga is very cool. Her olive green vintage porsche is nice too.

goosano
29-04-2012, 09:38 AM
The Bridge is preposterous nonsense but it is hugely enjoyable preposterous nonsense. Saga is brilliant

GlesgaeHibby
29-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Enjoyed the first episode, like the poster above said, love the porsche.

hibsbollah
29-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Enjoyed the first episode, like the poster above said, love the porsche.

Its the colour. Dirty olive green. Makes the occasionally upitsownerchie Porsche styling seem a bit punk. If The Killing was about Lunds jumpers The Bridge is about Saga's Carrera :greengrin

hibsbollah
06-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Does anyone think the truth terrorist could be martin (ian botham's Danish twin)s son?

goosano
13-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Really enjoyed the 2 episodes of The Bridge last night. Saga had me in stitches with her bluntness and her realtionship with Martin is funny

hibsbollah
13-05-2012, 10:46 AM
The best two yet IMO. Saga is a brilliant character and the child hostages/ firebomb plot was full of tension. Hoping theres another series :aok:

goosano
13-05-2012, 12:07 PM
The best two yet IMO. Saga is a brilliant character and the child hostages/ firebomb plot was full of tension. Hoping theres another series :aok:

They are due to film a second series starting in October-it'll not be shown until late 2013 though

discman
14-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Lillyhammer......... cant wait for this! google it and watch the trailer!

CropleyWasGod
14-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Lillyhammer......... cant wait for this! google it and watch the trailer!

It's Steve van Zandt, from the Sopranos and Bruce's band.

jonty
15-05-2012, 10:53 AM
The theme tune did my head in for a few episodes, but now i quite like it.

http://youtu.be/q0zvlxcmg7A

hibsbollah
16-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Ive just bought The Killing 1 box set... As much as I enjoyed Killing 2,.The Bridge and even Borgen (and original Wallander episodes), theres nothing to touch Killing 1. Even when you know the perpetrator's identity its gripping viewing.

hibsbollah
04-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Looking forwatd to Lilehammer,starts next tuesday bbc4...steve van zandt from the sopranos plus the usual cool scandinavian production...but will the style translate as a comedy?

CropleyWasGod
04-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Looking forwatd to Lilehammer,starts next tuesday bbc4...steve van zandt from the sopranos plus the usual cool scandinavian production...but will the style translate as a comedy?

SvZ is one of my musical heroes. Canny act to to save himself, IMHO, but I'll be tuning in. :agree:

hibsbollah
12-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Anyone watch it? i enjoyed it, its a standard 'rebirth' plot theres some comedy in there as well, Reminded me of a reworking of Northern Exposure. I liked how they used Norwegian and English together, subtitles only occasionally.

CropleyWasGod
12-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Anyone watch it? i enjoyed it, its a standard 'rebirth' plot theres some comedy in there as well, Reminded me of a reworking of Northern Exposure. I liked how they used Norwegian and English together, subtitles only occasionally.

I watched it. Actually, Northern Exposure came to my mind as well.

I will stick with it, although I found it a bit strange. Apparently, a second series has already been commissioned.... which might say something.

discman
12-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Been waiting for this, watched the first episode tonight really enjoyed saw an interview with svz a while back,

apparently he was doing some music stuff, in oslo when the 2 writers pitched up and asked for 5 minutes of his time,

he said he knew straight away that he wanted to do it, glad he did,I think it works, well for me! :greengrin

hibsbollah
29-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Just watched episode 2 and 3 of lillyhammer and been really disappointed. Its all very predictable.

Hibernia&Alba
09-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Just watched episode 2 and 3 of lillyhammer and been really disappointed. Its all very predictable.

Aye, I watched the first couple of the series then called it a day. Awful.

I need to get some box sets of the Swedish made Wallander with Krister Henriksson and the late Johanna Sallstrom. I loved watching them on BBC 4, and I can't wait for series three next year.

Amazon are taking pre-orders for the final series of The Killing which will be released 17th December. I don't know if it will be shown on tv before its release, but it will be £28 well spent.

The new series of Borgen must be due on tv soon, too. I remember it being mentioned it will be aired in winter 2012.

hibsbollah
04-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Killing 3, starts 17th November. :aok:

hibsbollah
17-11-2012, 06:26 AM
BBC4 tonight, the Killing 3 starts :aok:

hibsbollah
24-11-2012, 09:01 PM
No one watching it? I'm loving it, and the Missoni jumper:thumbsup:
Very few sympathetic characters, and more darkness and angst than ever.

GlesgaeHibby
24-11-2012, 10:42 PM
I've been watching it, watched the first two episodes so far. Going to watch 3 and 4 tomorrow. Excellent stuff again, amazing end to the second episode. Hooked again into yet another gripping tv series. I'm glad the Killing started when it did, coincided with me finishing Breaking Bad, which is up there with the best tv series made.

goosano
25-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Excellent stuff and better than the second series. Lot's of subplots too. And aren't Danish women easy on the eye

GlesgaeHibby
05-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Loving season 3, watched saturdays episodes and was gutted at having to wait another week until seeing the next two episodes.

On a sidenote, just finished watching breaking bad season 5 (first 8 episodes) and cannot wait until the next 8 are released next year.
Need a new TV series to get hooked on, heard homeland is good. Any recommendations?

goosano
09-12-2012, 06:02 AM
Really tense stuff, episodes 7 & 8-so many twists and turns. Can't wait for the final 2 episodes

Maybe Uk broadcasters will learn from this that you don't have to shoehorn a book into a couple of hours as they've done with Rankin's stuff

hibsbollah
09-12-2012, 06:32 AM
Really tense stuff, episodes 7 & 8-so many twists and turns. Can't wait for the final 2 episodes

Maybe Uk broadcasters will learn from this that you don't have to shoehorn a book into a couple of hours as they've done with Rankin's stuff

Its a clever device they've used in series3; there's two separate murders needing solved right up to the end, which is even more confusing than normal but keeps you hooked. I have no idea who did either:greengrin

Agree completely about the time thing; Killing 1 had twenty episodes to Killing 2 and 3s ten episodes and you can see the difference in how the characters were better fleshed out in 1. Series like Rebus never get close to any of the Skandig series because you only have 90 mins to tell the story of a complex book, against 600 minutes in Killing 2 and 3 (or 1200 minutes in Killing 1!)

hibsbollah
15-12-2012, 10:08 PM
What an ending :aok:

jonty
17-12-2012, 02:53 PM
The Killing - Revealed as nonsense. :greengrin

http://youtu.be/hy3EdPbxIAY

goosano
19-12-2012, 06:25 PM
The Killing - Revealed as nonsense. :greengrin

http://youtu.be/hy3EdPbxIAY

Brilliant!

I never saw the ending coming in the last episode though-great stuff

hibsbollah
19-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Brilliant!

I never saw the ending coming in the last episode though-great stuff

:agree:

'Twas an inspired ending.

hibsbollah
01-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Borgen 2 starts this Saturday 5th Jan 9pm BBC4:aok:

goosano
02-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Borgen 2 starts this Saturday 5th Jan 9pm BBC4:aok:

Excellent-wonder how long we will have to wait for series two of The Bridge-I understand filming began in October

goosano
06-01-2013, 09:08 PM
I found the first two episodes a bit ho-hum with some of the characterisation not completely credible-jury still out on series 2

hibsbollah
07-01-2013, 07:46 PM
I found the first two episodes a bit ho-hum with some of the characterisation not completely credible-jury still out on series 2

Id say it was a decent start, nothing spectacular. I liked the Hanne/ Katrine interplay...which characterisation werent you keen on, out of interest?

GhostofBolivar
09-01-2013, 05:31 AM
Season 4 of Justified began in the USA tonight. Massively underrated show :agree::gun:

goosano
13-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Id say it was a decent start, nothing spectacular. I liked the Hanne/ Katrine interplay...which characterisation werent you keen on, out of interest?

I thought the whole thing about the grieving father and him eventually passing on the suicide note to pushy Katrine was a bit much and not credible.

Just watched episodes 3/4-cracking. Stasminister and slimy Laugesen at the end were terrific

hibsbollah
13-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Yep 3 and 4 got right back on form. Statsminister has developed a real Machiavelian toughness this series.

goosano
20-01-2013, 04:48 PM
5 & 6 powerfull stuff

hibsbollah
20-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Loved it. Its unbelievably dark now. Statsminister is turning positively evil. And the Karsten story was brilliantly done; it could have been trite, but it wasnt. An added bonus to see the lovely Sanne (the redheaded secretary, not the drunken journalist) back.

Spoiler alert if you havent seen 5 and 6.
http://m.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/jan/19/borgen-series-two-episode-five-six

goosano
01-02-2013, 07:26 PM
I see there is a French/English version of 'The Bridge' in the pipeline-set in the chunnel and called 'The Tunnel'

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/the-tunnel-clmence-posy-to-star-in-remake-of-the-bridge-about-anglofrench-tensions-8475607.html