PDA

View Full Version : Crawford - GONE

JennaFletcher
06-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Hibs confirming winger David Crawford has been allowed to leave the club by mutual consent...

Thoughts?

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120106/winger-departure-confirmed_2262950_2568286

SteveHFC
06-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Disappointed with that. He impressed me in Pre-Season.

Captain Trips
06-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Hibs confirming winger David Crawford has been allowed to leave the club by mutual consent...

Thoughts?

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120106/winger-departure-confirmed_2262950_2568286

I do not have any as I never saw him play, anyone see him in action?

matty_f
06-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Surprised at that one, thought he'd done quite well while on loan and looked like one that might break through. Maybe he wanted to leave, or maybe Fenlon just didn't fancy him.

Good luck to the lad, wherever he ends up.:agree:

PeterboroHibee
06-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Bit of a shame, thought he looked to have potential pre-season (although very raw). Guess these things just happen though (hope alot of the first team will be joining him tbh).

Andy74
06-01-2012, 02:01 PM
TQM might know a bit more on this one.

Looked like he had talent but a bit lightweight.

Happy enough though if we are going to see some tough love on the quality that Fenlon wants around.

HibsNutter
06-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Quite disapointed, he looked to have a bit of potential.

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Never really saw enough of him to form any kind of opinion other than he looked a little lightweight against Blackpool. Although to be fair he was only a kid, and was up against a decent centre half.

We have to trust Fenlon, and let him get on with clearing out who he thinks are not up to the job, and getting in those he believes can.

scuttle
06-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Only saw him at the Falkirk pre season friendly and i thought he was man of match that night. Seems a pity but were not seeing him everyday in training i suppose

Sir David Gray
06-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Thought he looked decent on the few occasions that I saw him playing.

Certainly not any worse than any of the other players who currently wear the Hibs jersey.

Good luck to him.

Just hope he's not someone who'll come back to haunt us in a year or two.

IWasThere2016
06-01-2012, 02:32 PM
TQM might know a bit more on this one.

Looked like he had talent but a bit lightweight.

Happy enough though if we are going to see some tough love on the quality that Fenlon wants around.

Severed today, and away to Brechin. I liked what I saw pre-season and doesn't appear to have been given a decent chance. I don't see him at Brechin for long tbh.

Billy Whizz
06-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Noticed that he wasn't a 1st pick for Brechin, so probably a wise decision by both parties

Andy74
06-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Severed today, and away to Brechin. I liked what I saw pre-season and doesn't appear to have been given a decent chance. I don't see him at Brechin for long tbh.

Seems a decent lad and hopefully he can be one of the players that can work his way back up.

allezsauzee
06-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Has Fenlon actually seen him play?

Pat1875
06-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Just as significant as our crap transfer record has been the apparent inability of successive managers to bring through promising youngsters from our successful U-19 teams to become first team regulars. Because of the tiny budgets they had to work with, Blobby and Tony had to bring through the Golden Generation to full International level. Were these guys so much more talented than Hanlon/Booth/Spoony/Welsh who are struggling to get into and remain in the first team ?

marinello59
06-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Just as significant as our crap transfer record has been the apparent inability of successive managers to bring through promising youngsters from our successful U-19 teams to become first team regulars. Because of the tiny budgets they had to work with, Blobby and Tony had to bring through the Golden Generation to full International level. Were these guys so much more talented than Hanlon/Booth/Spoony/Welsh who are struggling to get into and remain in the first team ?

Prossibly. The transition from under 19's to first team is notoriously difficult. (How many Old Firm youngsters make that leap for instance?) We were incredibly lucky in that we had a clutch of extremely talented youngsters come through at the same time as TM made some very astute signings.

Speedway
06-01-2012, 02:53 PM
If he'd got into the first team, a bad performance would have seen him labelled as another midfield midget.

Now that he's been released before the fans have seen him properly, we've given away the next Strachan.

I only saw him against Blackpool and he was a little boy playing against men. Is anyone still sorry that we let Tam Mcreadey or Damon Gray go? Then don't worry yourselves about this.

Pretty Boy
06-01-2012, 03:14 PM
If he'd got into the first team, a bad performance would have seen him labelled as another midfield midget.

Now that he's been released before the fans have seen him properly, we've given away the next Strachan.

I only saw him against Blackpool and he was a little boy playing against men. Is anyone still sorry that we let Tam Mcreadey or Damon Gray go? Then don't worry yourselves about this.

Precisely.

I say this everytime one of these threads about a youngster getting released comes up: name me one youngster we have let go in recent times who has come back to haunt us or went onto bigger things?

Kirk Broadfoot doesn't count!!

jdships
06-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Prossibly. The transition from under 19's to first team is notoriously difficult. (How many Old Firm youngsters make that leap for instance?) We were incredibly lucky in that we had a clutch of extremely talented youngsters come through at the same time as TM made some very astute signings.

Right on the money :top marks
I was one of these lads 60 years ago !
At 17 was told I " showed great promise - work hard lad and you can make it "
For whatever reason I never developed physically / technically ( 10st 5lbs and 5ft 9in @19 ) and at 20 was " moved on" "freed" whatever you want to. call it
Pro Career over.!!
It has happened to thousands of youngsters and will continue to
Crawford is unfortunately just another one - good luck to the boy :agree:.
To be fair to HFC how many youngsters of this age who have been released have gone to become " stars" - not many if any at all :flag:

darwenhibby
06-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Never really saw enough of him to form any kind of opinion other than he looked a little lightweight against Blackpool. Although to be fair he was only a kid, and was up against a decent centre half.

We have to trust Fenlon, and let him get on with clearing out who he thinks are not up to the job, and getting in those he believes can.

It been said many a time that people look a little lightweight against Blackpool:wink:

ancient hibee
06-01-2012, 03:45 PM

Three of those players are regulars with Scotland u21-not Hibc class presumably?

Pat1875
06-01-2012, 04:01 PM

Agree absolutely. It just seems an amazing coincidence that Whittaker, Brown, Thomson, Riordan, and O'Connor ( and don't forget Jon Baillie) seemed to slot in effortlessly at a time when we couldn't afford to pay appearance money to some of our established players, never mind sign players.
My point ( if anything) is "needs must is a graund maister"

alan1875
06-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Was he the lad who won the most promising player award from the u-19s league last year?

offshorehibby
06-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Precisely.

I say this everytime one of these threads about a youngster getting released comes up: name me one youngster we have let go in recent times who has come back to haunt us or went onto bigger things?

Save's me saying it. We can't keep every youngster that comes through the ranks some have got to be let go to bring the next crop of potentials through.
I wish him all the best.

Pat1875
06-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Three of those players are regulars with Scotland u21-not Hibc class presumably?

My point exactly. Sort of. The Scotland management seems to be able to exploit potential where successive Hibs managers have failled.
What has it done for the confidence of, say, Wotherspoon and Welsh to see players such as De Graff, Thornhill and Scott bought in, presumably paid higher salaries, and selected before them ?

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Didn't see that much of him, but first and foremost I trust Fenlon to sort the club out, but also, Brechin is a long way to fall to get a game. He wouldn't be looking for thousands of pounds a week so even the cash strapped First Division clubs have passed up.

GloryGlory
06-01-2012, 05:20 PM

Did we not also have a reserve league, which allowed the U19s another stepping stone before playing first team football? One of the great false economies, IMO, to get rid of the RL - I wonder how many talented players have been lost to the game once they got too old for the U19s but weren't quite ready for the first team, who could have developed their potential further if given a chance?

frazeHFC
06-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Due to the Fifa rule, he has signed for Brechin.

Gutted he has left. :boo hoo:

sundo1875
06-01-2012, 05:32 PM
He looked very very lightweight on the other hand, Ross Caldwell looks very strong and that's what it seems you need now to make it

frazeHFC
06-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Didn't see that much of him, but first and foremost I trust Fenlon to sort the club out, but also, Brechin is a long way to fall to get a game. He wouldn't be looking for thousands of pounds a week so even the cash strapped First Division clubs have passed up.

Fifa laws say he can only play for 2 clubs a season, so Brechin is the only club he could join.

hibee_patty
06-01-2012, 06:06 PM
we seem to see this alot with promising youngsters! i do not understand this why have we got such a succesful u19 side but recently struggled to make the grade?

Wotherspiniesta
06-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Pish decision.

Looked promising in pre-season and has barely kicked a ball in competitive football for us. Infact, I think the only time he played was for 5 minutes against Caley and he helped set up a goal.

Could easily step in for Sproule or Galbraith and give a better account of himself than either of them IMO.

AlbertK86
06-01-2012, 06:46 PM

100 % better. None of the current crop are anywhere near as gopd

ronaldo7
06-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Pish decision.

Looked promising in pre-season and has barely kicked a ball in competitive football for us. Infact, I think the only time he played was for 5 minutes against Caley and he helped set up a goal.

Could easily step in for Sproule or Galbraith and give a better account of himself than either of them IMO.

:agree: The boy has pace to burn, and will turn out for a better club than Brechin in the future.

one day maybe...
06-01-2012, 07:04 PM
One of the biggest problems with the SPL is that there is no reserve team football, a league where these young guys can progress their careers further playing alongside more experienced pro's who are recovering from injuries or trying to regain fitness. Was a shocking decision to stop reserve team football and is one of the major reason why the SPL has went downhill.

Scouse Hibee
06-01-2012, 07:17 PM
If the vast knowledge of the management at Easter Road judge him not to be good enough who are we to disagree......................................The fans who think he has to be better than Galbraith or Sproule that's who we are :agree:

cad
06-01-2012, 07:23 PM
My point exactly. Sort of. The Scotland management seems to be able to exploit potential where successive Hibs managers have failled.
What has it done for the confidence of, say, Wotherspoon and Welsh to see players such as De Graff, Thornhill and Scott bought in, presumably paid higher salaries, and selected before them ?

Thats a cracking point , maybe the salary of some got them more games than there performances warrented to the detriment of our younger players.

Welsh I only saw at the Dunfermline friendly a few seasons ago then he got injured ,
I heard he was one to watch from a few people he still there so I would expect him to get a few starts

Think Pat will help Spoons, theres a very talented player there going through a hard time just now .

Heckys Wheel
06-01-2012, 07:36 PM

Exactly. I'm struggling to remember any youngster we let go that ended up doing well and us regretting it.

Possibly Proctor? Donnie wasn't our youngster so doesn't count. Griffiths in a way?

I do remember outrage in here at letting Jay Shields and Jamie mcLuskey go.

Jonnyboy
06-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Looked half decent anytime I saw him but though he had pace to burn he was easily knocked off the ball and so arguably the positive is cancelled out by the negative.

I wish him luck in the future though.

As an aside and taking on board the point that the jump from U19 to full team is enormous, perhaps we seriously need to think about reserve teams again. I know that topic has been debated before but IMO and put in simplest terms we can have lads too old for U19 and too young/inexperienced for first team duty. Either we let them go or we pay them to play in the odd bounce match. The U19 double winning side saw seven players offered full time contracts but they were never all going to be first team regulars. Playing in a reserve team against men instead of boys might have helped them progress. I understand Hibs would like the reserve set up brought back but clubs like Rangers are not in favour. Seems to me that we needn't mirror the SPL in terms of teams in a reserve league but simply form a league with those clubs wanting reserve football brought back.

18/03/07
06-01-2012, 08:16 PM
What happened to the colts set up that Petrie was all in favour for?

hibbymark
Looked half decent anytime I saw him but though he had pace to burn he was easily knocked off the ball and so arguably the positive is cancelled out by the negative.

As an aside and taking on board the point that the jump from U19 to full team is enormous, perhaps we seriously need to think about reserve teams again. I know that topic has been debated before but IMO and put in simplest terms we can have lads too old for U19 and too young/inexperienced for first team duty. Either we let them go or we pay them to play in the odd bounce match. The U19 double winning side saw seven players offered full time contracts but they were never all going to be first team regulars. Playing in a reserve team against men instead of boys might have helped them progress. I understand Hibs would like the reserve set up brought back but clubs like Rangers are not in favour. Seems to me that we needn't mirror the SPL in terms of teams in a reserve league but simply form a league with those clubs wanting reserve football brought back.

Couldnt agree more. Players come out of cold storage like Palson and Murray both too old for under 19s and its hardly surprising they are of the pace.

When did they last have a competitive game? How does a player play his way back to fitness after injury? Reserve football should be a step up from

19s and would give younger players the chance to develop physically playing against men.

Eyrie

I think the problem with a full reserve league would be the cost of having a large enough squad to cover the fixtures there as well as those of the first team.

However I wouldn't be averse to allowing two over-age players in each u19 team. This could be limited to players under 21 who are still developing, or unrestricted to permit a player in his mid 20s to improve match fitness when returning from injury. The majority of the team would still be u19s though which preserves the purpose of the league.

Part/Time Supporter
06-01-2012, 08:17 PM
What happened to the colts set up that Petrie was all in favour for?

That was voted down along with the 10 team league.

Forza Fred
07-01-2012, 12:04 PM

Not disagreeing with your point that a reserve league would be beneficial, but it seems that its been pretty firmly(and wrongly in my opinion) kicked into touch by many clubs, presumably on financial grounds.

Could an alternative perhaps be for those clubs wishing to provide a 'pathway''from under 19's to playing regularly against 'mature' opposition, be for approval to be sought to enter their 'reserve'side in the local Junior Leagues?

I know there will arguments about 'quality etc'but it will certainly toughen them up, and if they can'''t shine in the juniors then they ain''t gonna shine in the SPL.

I know players go on loan to lower divisions, but I reckon everybody benefits if they are kept together and viewed regularly in competitive games, by HIbs staff who can see if they are developing and performing on a consistent basis.

And by the way, HIbs years ago used to 'farm out'' their players to Junior sides....one P. Stanton of Bonnyrig Rose being a prime example.

bruno
07-01-2012, 12:23 PM
I think the problem with a full reserve league would be the cost of having a large enough squad to cover the fixtures there as well as those of the first team.

However I wouldn't be averse to allowing two over-age players in each u19 team. This could be limited to players under 21 who are still developing, or unrestricted to permit a player in his mid 20s to improve match fitness when returning from injury. The majority of the team would still be u19s though which preserves the purpose of the league.
Next season they are going to change to an under 20 league. There may also be the provision for 2 over age players but this still not decided yet. This will allow players at under 19 another year to develop. Will mean a big jump for players to go from under 17 to under 20 so that's a bit of a worry. i'm sure most if not all would love a reserve team but it's just not financially viable. The under 20 league will also play midweek evening probably tuesday and this will allow those players involved in match day squads but not necessary playing to still get competitive games.

cabbageandribs1875
07-01-2012, 12:38 PM
he is on the febuary page of the hibs calendar, 'the calendar curse' has struck again, the laddie didn't have a chance after appearing in it

Eyrie
07-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Next season they are going to change to an under 20 league. There may also be the provision for 2 over age players but this still not decided yet. This will allow players at under 19 another year to develop. Will mean a big jump for players to go from under 17 to under 20 so that's a bit of a worry. i'm sure most if not all would love a reserve team but it's just not financially viable. The under 20 league will also play midweek evening probably tuesday and this will allow those players involved in match day squads but not necessary playing to still get competitive games.
Cheers Bruno.

It would address the problem raised by Jonnyboy if two over age players are allowed.

Golden Bear
07-01-2012, 01:24 PM
I wonder if Crawford's release is an indication of an impending new signing in that position?

500miles
07-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Crawford wasn't rated by his u19 team mates. Beyond pace, he was often accused of being a limited player.

erin go bragh
07-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Precisely.

J Robertson , K Wright , P Hartley [ all told they were too small and let go ]
We ended up paying 400 grand for keith and 100 grand for Hartley .

ggtth

jdships
07-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Not disagreeing with your point that a reserve league would be beneficial, but it seems that its been pretty firmly(and wrongly in my opinion) kicked into touch by many clubs, presumably on financial grounds.

Could an alternative perhaps be for those clubs wishing to provide a 'pathway''from under 19's to playing regularly against 'mature' opposition, be for approval to be sought to enter their 'reserve'side in the local Junior Leagues?

I know there will arguments about 'quality etc'but it will certainly toughen them up, and if they can'''t shine in the juniors then they ain''t gonna shine in the SPL.

I know players go on loan to lower divisions, but I reckon everybody benefits if they are kept together and viewed regularly in competitive games, by HIbs staff who can see if they are developing and performing on a consistent basis.

And by the way, HIbs years ago used to 'farm out'' their players to Junior sides....one P. Stanton of Bonnyrig Rose being a prime example.

This was a completely different situation than we have now
In 1940/50's and part 0f '60's when players signed pro , should they not make it they could only be " reinstated" back to the level they were signed from . i.e. juvenile/amateur/junior
In my case I signed pro from " under 21 Juvenile" which meant I could only play at that level if I didn't make it.
I was sent to Broxburn to play the required four matches which qualified me that should I not make it I could be " reinstated to Junior"
I shared my time there with Freddie Glidden !!
Most if not all boys signed from Juvenile were " farmed out" ( minimum four games ) to protect their futures .

:flag:

IWasThere2016
07-01-2012, 02:26 PM
:agree: The boy has pace to burn, and will turn out for a better club than Brechin in the future.

I agree R7

BEEJ
07-01-2012, 05:34 PM
I wonder if Crawford's release is an indication of an impending new signing in that position?
More likely that someone like Caldwell from the U-19s is about to be offered a new senior contract.

We have a glut of youngsters at the moment and other likely candidates vying for promotion to the first team squad. We can't keep them all.

Billy Whizz
07-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Noticed that Crawford came on as a sub for Brechin today. Scott Smith wasn't in their squad, has he been recalled to ER?

SteveHFC
07-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Ewan Moyes has signed for Brechin aswell

Part/Time Supporter
07-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Noticed that Crawford came on as a sub for Brechin today. Scott Smith wasn't in their squad, has he been recalled to ER?

Aye.

helsbels
07-01-2012, 08:18 PM

Not recalled, loan period ended.

ronaldo7
07-01-2012, 09:55 PM

We don't even need to mirror the amount of games J. We could play around 20-24 matches, or whatever fits in with the teams involved and plan a winter shutdown for the league too.

Jonnyboy
07-01-2012, 10:12 PM
We don't even need to mirror the amount of games J. We could play around 20-24 matches, or whatever fits in with the teams involved and plan a winter shutdown for the league too.

:agree:

I understand Hibs are working hard behind the scenes to get something up and running.

FAO ForzaFred - Paddy indeed and of course Joe Baker and Johnny McLeod at Armadale

.Sean.
07-01-2012, 11:20 PM
He was aparantly a bit of an arse and a wide boy at Brechin so hopefully his release grounds him a bit.

Franck is God
08-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Were the kids on loan not at part time clubs so they continue to train at East Mains a couple of days per week, if so then Fenlon will have had a chance to look at him in practise matches? I saw Crawford pre-season and although I thought he did quite well I think that Handling and Caldwell would be a better option than him already.

Also to be fair if a full time 19 year old striker on loan from an SPL club can't establish himself in a part time side is he really an option for our first team?

Kaiser1962
08-01-2012, 11:31 AM

:agree: Agree with this.

Could we put a team into another competion other than the an SPL reserve league to give these guys game time? The East of Scotland Leagues for example?