PDA

View Full Version : Building Advice

ginger_rice
06-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Any builders out there?

Got a bit of a problem, this week damp patches have appeared in the front interior wall of my fiancées house.

This wall has taken a battering by the weather over the last few days, this means that the damp is transferring across the cavity (cavity wall insulation) from the outside all I can see is that there are several small cracks in the harling. Would this be enough to cause this problem and what would be the solution?

Can the harling just be repaired or would it need to be stripped off the walls repointed and then the harling renewed, or is it possible to seal the wall somehow?

Any advise welcome

brydekirk
06-01-2012, 11:50 AM
More likely coming from your roof, I would check that first.

ginger_rice
06-01-2012, 12:20 PM

Sh*t I hope not, its the ground floor of a two storey where it's showing up!

Got two separate patches one in the hall and one in the living room.

easty
06-01-2012, 12:35 PM

We've got a leak at our chimney, started the day after all the high wind, which was clearly the reason for the problem. No doubt the insurance company will call it wear and tear though!

MSK
06-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Any builders out there?

Got a bit of a problem, this week damp patches have appeared in the front interior wall of my fiancées house.

This wall has taken a battering by the weather over the last few days, this means that the damp is transferring across the cavity (cavity wall insulation) from the outside all I can see is that there are several small cracks in the harling. Would this be enough to cause this problem and what would be the solution?

Can the harling just be repaired or would it need to be stripped off the walls repointed and then the harling renewed, or is it possible to seal the wall somehow?

Any advise welcomeAre there any windows nearby & if so are they sealed externally ..?

Im also thinking poss cracked guttering/down pipes (check them) or quite possibly damaged "eves" ..if the front row of your tiles/slates have been dislodged then water can/will access your wall cavity's ..the water can then "pond" giving it time to seep through the brick work.

With regards the cracked harling, I live on a gable end which gets battered with wind & rain & my harling has been cracked for years with no sign of any dampness coming through ..

brydekirk
06-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Sh*t I hope not, its the ground floor of a two storey where it's showing up!

Got two separate patches one in the hall and one in the living room.

ig not the roof, check any windows above the damp patch.